PDA

View Full Version : Maurice Edu Appreciation Thread.

Dub Narcotic
08-15-2008, 12:08 PM
Mo, you busted your ass on and off the field in your first year for a dismal TFC franchise in the first year, and you were always positive about the team and the city. It didn't work out for you this year as well, but good luck in the SPL.

Damien
08-15-2008, 12:10 PM
You made us whatever percentage of $5mil... thanks Edu!

OneLoveOneEric
08-15-2008, 12:10 PM
Whoa. This thread looks like it was taken from a Canadian olympics broadcast. "You tried your best. 156th place isn't bad. Thanks!"
:)

Ossington Mental Youth
08-15-2008, 12:11 PM
Youve got alot of promise, we'd love to have you back when you come back
Good luck

Roogsy
08-15-2008, 12:11 PM
He was a big part of the first year festivities of TFC. Our first draft pick. And scored a couple of nice goals for us.

I am glad he was a part of TFC, he worked hard and I am glad he made us a ton of money on the way out. There is nothing more you can ask of a player.

DigzTFC!
08-15-2008, 12:13 PM
I appreciate the $5 Million...thanks Mo

Mark in Ottawa
08-15-2008, 12:23 PM
Maurice... We have never met but I did enjoy watching you play for TFC.
Good Luck overseas! A great chance to continue learning your trade in a truly footy atmosphere all of the time.

Here is your chance to show em that we can develop talent on this side of the pond.
All the best.

Damien
08-15-2008, 12:25 PM
This sale may give TFC a lil more European recognition at the very least.

Broadview
08-15-2008, 12:28 PM
Mo...remember, remember....remember that time when you scored that goal...and then, then you took your shirt off and waved it around and the fans went crazy?!?! That was awesome!

Remember when...that time when everyone said you were the best rookie? And they gave you that award at the end of the year? And all the fans were so proud? Remember that? That was awesome!

boban
08-15-2008, 12:28 PM
Good luck Mo.
Refocus on the game and forget about your website and video games.
You won't survive otherwise.

TOBOR !
08-15-2008, 12:50 PM
I came up with a decent chant for you that no-one adopted. You got sent off against Houston in the middle of the drought of '07. You can be a bit of a dirty bastard sometimes. You seem lost in front of goal. I'll get over you.

Marco2K
08-15-2008, 01:04 PM

I just dont get it. In a league like this its crap.
its not like we are going to buy 2 2 million dollar players.
All this is gonna do is give the MLS and MLSE more FUCKIN MONEY.

I am not the biggest Maurice Edu fan but i dont like this move at all. Especially since we got Nobody to replace him. Plus even with him in the line up were needed alot more.

Lets just hope knows what he is doing.

gtaguy
08-15-2008, 01:05 PM
with you head held high i wish you all the best ...

time to leave your vids and personal webpage and concentrate on whiskey,women, footy...

Your in Europe Now!!!

Jack
08-15-2008, 01:10 PM
I just dont get it. In a league like this its crap.
its not like we are going to buy 2 2 million dollar players.
All this is gonna do is give the MLS and MLSE more FUCKIN MONEY.

I am not the biggest Maurice Edu fan but i dont like this move at all. Especially since we got Nobody to replace him. Plus even with him in the line up were needed alot more.

Lets just hope knows what he is doing.

Dude, it doesn't give MLSE more money. The money from these transfers has to go back into the team.

And it looks like Tello may be the replacement, judging by the rumours.

mclaren
08-15-2008, 01:11 PM
$5 million for Edu - we just committed daylight robbery. Good Luck though Maurice!

Heathen
08-15-2008, 01:16 PM
Good luck Maurice and a word of advice, don't cross yourself when you run on the field eh

Roogsy
08-15-2008, 01:22 PM
I am getting the feeling you guys aren't familiar with the idea of an appreciation thread.

Got a gripe? Take it to any of the other threads where Mo's being bashed.

The guy has scored almost as many goals as Cunny for us despite being paid half of what Cunny was and playing a completely different position. And on top of that, he sends almost $4mill of his transfer fee our way and we are complaining why???

invictusTFC
08-15-2008, 01:26 PM
I am getting the feeling you guys aren't familiar with the idea of an appreciation thread.

The guy has scored almost as many goals as Cunny for us despite being paid half of what Cunny was and playing a completely different position. And on top of that, he sends almost $4mill of his transfer fee our way and we are complaining why???

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that he has sent almost $4 million our way. I just don't understand it based on his play this season...

UltraSuperMegaMo
08-15-2008, 01:29 PM
Edu definitely has his moments for TFC, but to honest I never quite understood why European teams were so juiced about him. I’ll echo what was said above, last year he looked very good at times, but this year he didn’t really seem to play to well in the system we’ve been playing. I think it’s kind of interesting that Robinson has had his best games this year when Edu wasn’t with the team.

I think tactically, we won’t miss him much, but it’s kind of sad to see one of the originals go.

flatpicker
08-15-2008, 01:34 PM
to honest I never quite understood why European teams were so juiced about him. I’ll echo what was said above, last year he looked very good at times, but this year he didn’t really seem to play to well in the system we’ve been playing.

People usually play better when they have better players with them.
Being at Rangers might actually reveal some talent that he was unable to display in Toronto.
Hell, just look at what Beckham has done for Buddle!

invictusTFC
08-15-2008, 01:35 PM
As far as #1 draft picks are concerned, you couldn't complain... much!

trane
08-15-2008, 01:37 PM
I do think peopel gave him too much shit, he needed to grow as a player, but he was young and gave it his all.

Bars92
08-15-2008, 01:38 PM
He couldn't have went to a better team.

gtaguy
08-15-2008, 01:40 PM

well said Roogsy....

TFC07
08-15-2008, 01:54 PM
Thanks for ca$h, Mo!

Good luck in Europe.

The_Truth
08-15-2008, 01:54 PM
He couldn't have went to a better team.

:lol::lol::lol:

Probably the funniest post I've ever read on here.

ensco
08-15-2008, 02:00 PM
1) His goal last year at Chicago was just a fantastic effort in a clutch situation
2) He had the best chant of any TFC player

invictusTFC
08-15-2008, 02:02 PM
1) His goal last year at Chicago was just a fantastic effort in a clutch situation
2) He had the best chant of any TFC player

I still prefer the Dichio chant...

Richard D
08-15-2008, 02:08 PM
Hopefully we'll use this 5 million and get a fuckin DP now...

If not, MLSE is running TFC like they do the Laffs... They better not take us for some blind $ spending supporters...

Thanks for the mammaries Edu...

Marco2K
08-15-2008, 02:11 PM
well jack said the money has to go back into the team.

Lets hope Peddie is not getting a huge bonus instead.

WE NEED A DP. SIGN CRESPO Or somehting

Keegan
08-15-2008, 02:13 PM
I gotta say...

I appreciate Mo for one thing. Leaving.

Hopefully we use the cash for some REAL GRASS

rocker
08-15-2008, 02:58 PM
so when are the Argos gonna sell somebody to europe? oh wait..... haha

giambac
08-15-2008, 03:23 PM

How much did MLSE pay for the TFC franchise fee??

They have in one transfer recovered $5 million.

They're has been 2 season of sellout games, jerseys and merchabdise sales havebben hot, cost of food/beer at the matches.....

MLSE is making some good coin

invictusTFC
08-15-2008, 03:28 PM

They're has been 2 season of sellout games, jerseys and merchabdise sales havebben hot, cost of food/beer at the matches.....

According to MLS rules any transfer money a team gets has to go back into the team. Its not like MLSE is lining their pockets with this deal.

Its good for the team...

giambac
08-15-2008, 03:40 PM
According to MLS rules any transfer money a team gets has to go back into the team. Its not like MLSE is lining their pockets with this deal.

Its good for the team...

What are you telling me.

the money sits in TFC's bank account and earns interest. It's not like tFC is signing any high profile players. Also with the Cap you will never spend this money.

Shit what is TFC's payroll??? This 5 million will cover their payroll for the next 2-3 years.

MLSE is making a killing, don't kid yourself.

TFCREDNWHITE
08-15-2008, 03:43 PM
What are you telling me.

the money sits in TFC's bank account and earns interest. It's not like tFC is signing any high profile players. Also with the Cap you will never spend this money.

Shit what is TFC's payroll??? This 5 million will cover their payroll for the next 2-3 years.

30% goes to the League! Don't for get that!!

TFC07
08-15-2008, 03:43 PM
Believe it or not, but MLS pays players' salaries (excluding DP's; they pay $400K and rest are paid by the owners), not TFC....But however, MLS gets some of ticket money from MLSE though.

Jack
08-15-2008, 03:45 PM
Giambac, we all know MLSE's making a killing. That's why we have a team at all. If MLSE weren't making money, Toronto FC would not exist.

This money has to be used by the team in some way. Maybe it's in better scouting, in player acquistion, in facilities or training. We'll see.

Draracle
08-15-2008, 03:49 PM
hope he does well. Hope we can spend that money pronto on some serious upgrades

ensco
08-15-2008, 03:50 PM
FROM OLD STRIKER (noted observer):

Maurice was great last year. Hard marking and tackling, showed some flair.

This year, he's clearly been affected by all the transfer talk. He looked like a guy who'd been told by his agent: "ease up out there, don't get hurt". (same point: it also looked like fear of a turf injury was affecting him.) Who can blame him when he only makes $150K and it looks like he's in line for a $1 million/year or more.

He's been going all out for the USA team and you can see the difference. It was time for him to go.

Rudi
08-15-2008, 03:54 PM
Mo, thanks for knocking that drink out of my hand at Dwayne De Rosario's after-party last year. You were kind enough to replace it for me. :D

BeachRed
08-15-2008, 03:54 PM

Makes you wonder why no one else in this city stepped up for a franchise?

BuSaPuNk
08-15-2008, 03:56 PM
Giambac, we all know MLSE's making a killing. That's why we have a team at all. If MLSE weren't making money, Toronto FC would not exist.

This money has to be used by the team in some way. Maybe it's in better scouting, in player acquistion, in facilities or training. We'll see.

They don't even spend the enromous amount of money they make off the Maple Leafs in new facilitys and scouts and so on.....so why would it be any different with TFC.

What do we expect from MLSE?

Rudi
08-15-2008, 03:57 PM
They don't even spend the enromous amount of money they make off the Maple Leafs in new facilitys and scouts and so on.....so why would it be any different with TFC.

What do we expect from MLSE?
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes:

alexintoronto
08-15-2008, 04:09 PM
Use the 5 mil to buy the Argos!

RPB_Brantford_08
08-15-2008, 04:25 PM
sorry to see Edu go, even sorrier to see the shite he has joined, but good luck to him,
enjoy the 2nd place position..

RPB_Brantford_08
08-15-2008, 04:27 PM
What are you telling me.

TFC gets only 60% of the 5 mill transfer fee, MLS takes the rest, still
60% of 5,000,000 is not to bad, TFC robbed Rangers, gotta love it!!

Richard D
08-15-2008, 04:38 PM
We're never going to see where that money went...

This thread needs more Figo...

Marco2K
08-15-2008, 05:07 PM
JACK are u sure the money gets put back into the team

ensco
08-15-2008, 05:34 PM
I'm sorry that Mo's last home game here was that horror show against the Impact

He probably couldn't wait to get out of here after that

SilverSamurai
08-15-2008, 05:38 PM
Sad to see him go, but wish him the best of luck. Hopefully he'll find the passion he had last year but seems to have lost this year.
Good luck to ya Mo.

Jack
08-15-2008, 05:39 PM
I'm not 100% sure on the rules, but I believe I have read that the money from transfers in MLS is not allowed to go to lining the owners pockets and has to be put back into the team.

Maybe one of you MLS lawyers out there can dig up the details.

rocker
08-15-2008, 07:14 PM
I'm not 100% sure on the rules, but I believe I have read that the money from transfers in MLS is not allowed to go to lining the owners pockets and has to be put back into the team.

Maybe one of you MLS lawyers out there can dig up the details.

you are correct... MLSE will NOT get $3.33m (2 thirds) of the fee dropped into their pockets as profit. They don't make a profit on this that goes into general revenue.

According to this article after Toja was transferred:

FC Dallas will receive two-thirds of the transfer fee which may be use for development of the on-field product; a portion of which can be used as allocation money, and the rest for improvements to the first team or youth programs.

Since MLS does the money dealing, I would assume TFC would have to get the money for programs from MLS. not sure what "improvements to the first team" would be tho.
If Mlsintoronto is around, maybe he could explain??!?

stretchthetruth
08-16-2008, 08:53 AM
good luck, Mo. enjoy Scotland - be a pal and bring us back a Gregg's? cheers.

Big Bruva
08-16-2008, 03:52 PM
wow still a bit shocked to be honest.

Hope he does well over there and he better coz thats my Scottish team lol

pat416
08-16-2008, 03:58 PM
best of Luck EDU!

FluSH
08-16-2008, 04:05 PM
Sad to see Edu go...

FluSH
08-16-2008, 04:14 PM

haha

Best post so far... some people complain about MLSE like that's their ex-girlfriend/wife getting the money.

Jamaicanadian
08-16-2008, 04:24 PM
Big up Mo!!
Thanks for the hard work and effort king!!!
Nuff Nuff RESPECT!

Oor Wullie
08-16-2008, 04:34 PM
Never was impristed with Mo always thought he was overrated.Far to soft of a player to make any impact in the SPL.good luck anyways.

Smenge
08-16-2008, 05:22 PM
I keep reading comments about how "tough" SPL is, and how Edu will fail there. The SPL is a glorified Serie B league, with three excellent teams, and the rest, are MLS caliber.

RYANTFC
08-16-2008, 05:27 PM
^^^ I would rather watch an SPL match than MLS match, MLS is a terrible league

Smenge
08-16-2008, 05:32 PM
Every league in the world is better than MLS, every player that ever played in MLS is shit, and every supporter of MLS is an asshole.....:rolleyes:

Smenge
08-16-2008, 07:04 PM
De Guzman is a bum, and now he is playing for the Dutch national team at the Olympics. Altidore was a prick, we hated him, and now he plays for one of Spain's top teams, Edu played for the worst team in MLS history in 2007. He hoped to be part of something better this season, it didn't happen, and now he joins the elite young North American players leaving for Europe. The message here is that MLS will continue to be a bum league as long as these players leave. The criticisms of Edu are ridiculous. When the team faltered last year, he was the best player. Can you blame him for losing interest? Mo promised great new additions, and we got Harmse. Edu's leaving simply demonstrates how smart he is, and not regretting this move, demonstrates how stupid some of you are.

boban
08-16-2008, 07:07 PM
I keep reading comments about how "tough" SPL is, and how Edu will fail there. The SPL is a glorified Serie B league, with three excellent teams, and the rest, are MLS caliber.

Who's the 3rd?
As for the rest me thinks you are being kind.

Smenge
08-16-2008, 07:18 PM
I was being nice, but Rangers did make it to the UEFA final where they were beaten good by Zanit.

boban
08-16-2008, 07:29 PM
I was being nice, but Rangers did make it to the UEFA final where they were beaten good by Zanit.
Conversally they got their asses handed to them 2 10 days ago by a Lithuanian team (like WTF??!!) to eliminate them from any Europe this year.
Also, they came here 3 years ago and lost to Dinamo Zagreb. They are glorified amongst the British more than anything.

Big Bruva
08-16-2008, 07:34 PM

If your talking about tough in regards to physicallity then Serie A or B has nothing on Scotland and Mo will have to get used to that side of the league asap coz it will be nothing he is used to.

Mo should be playing Champions League, wow

Smenge
08-16-2008, 10:15 PM
Serie B is a dirty, rough league, filled with players wanting to move up to Serie A. Off the ball, guys are getting mugged all the time. The tackles are notoriously dirty. I doubt SPL is any different. Edu will not be intimidated.

The_Truth
08-16-2008, 11:53 PM
Conversally they got their asses handed to them 2 10 days ago by a Lithuanian team (like WTF??!!) to eliminate them from any Europe this year.
Also, they came here 3 years ago and lost to Dinamo Zagreb. They are glorified amongst the British more than anything.

After they ransacked Manchester, I'd dare not suggest the English think much of them. Mind not nearly the "job" they did in Barcelona.

Essentially, they are glorified within their own ranks.

And the many lodges throughout Scotland.

Fact.

Denis
08-17-2008, 06:42 AM
I thank you for your contribution to TFC Maurice. Definitely one of our better players on your day.

I wish you nothing but bad luck and misfortune for the entire time you are at Rangers.

Fort York Redcoat
08-17-2008, 08:17 AM
Yes he put in time with a Toronto and excelled in his first season. I hope he gets on the bench at Rangers but I fear this is another Adu in Benfica. At least he's younger and hopefully adjust and improve his game.

ArteEtLabore
08-17-2008, 08:20 AM
The message here is that MLS will continue to be a bum league as long as these players leave.

I don't understand why people get shocked by players moving around. This is a global sport and players move from league to league all the time. Players leave the EPL, Seria A, etc. for other leagues. Even if MLS were the richest league in the world, players would still move around. Get over it.

druid
08-17-2008, 12:04 PM
Sad to see him go, though his performances of late have been poor.

I'll be interested to see if he can take the physicality of the SPL.

The_Truth
08-17-2008, 12:05 PM
Yes he put in time with a Toronto and excelled in his first season. I hope he gets on the bench at Rangers but I fear this is another Adu in Benfica. At least he's younger and hopefully adjust and improve his game.

Rangers have a history of signing promising young players and then they disappear. Would not be surprising if in a year or two we find that Edu has disappeared into the abyss.

boban
08-17-2008, 12:37 PM
I appreciate the fact that Edu is gone ..

:hide: :leaving:

RicoSuave44
08-17-2008, 06:28 PM
bump

Roogsy
08-17-2008, 06:32 PM
Why the bump? Not like Mo Edu would have saved us out there today.

Smenge
08-17-2008, 06:49 PM
My concern in not in the player movement. Unlike the better leagues, good players do not leave them to come to MLS, at least not until they have grey hair, or bum knees....the departure of EDU is worrisome because it is clear he left sooner than expected because of the utter crap that TFC has become in such a short time......don't be surprised to see Robert, Dichio, and others leave in the off season, as nobody seems to enjoy playing for Carver, or on the turf.

MG42
08-17-2008, 06:56 PM
Thanks for last year Mo, but what was wrong with you this year?...too busy being a superstar I guess lol :)

And for the 10th time RPB, please visit Maurices EGOsite;

http://www.mauriceedu.com/edu/index (http://www.mauriceedu.com/edu/index)

Bars92
08-17-2008, 10:55 PM

^That was a friendly bud.^

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=54&pictureid=719

bhoybobby
08-19-2008, 02:37 AM
Too bad the lad ended up at a shittier team

Razcle
08-19-2008, 08:03 AM

Off topic...Bayern also got their asses handed to them by Zenit. And Bayern are no slouch of a team

ensco
03-18-2019, 07:20 PM
Maurice Edu officially hung them up today. The video he posted is worth watching (it's in two parts)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvKEPuIARSe/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1cf7v73aao15

MLS Rookie of the Year in 2007.

Scored in first win against Chicago.

Still by far the best young player ever developed by TFC. (Although calling Edu “developed” here is probably unfair to Osorio, he was really developed by Maryland, but if the standard is where you turned pro, it's Edu by a mile)

Still holds the transfer record for TFC (sold for more than Giovinco!).

Capped 46 times by USMNT and played in 2010 World Cup, where he scored what would have been a crucial goal that should have stood. A Rangers legend, as he scored a decisive goal in extra time of an Old Firm game.

He wasn’t here long enough to be beloved, but I always admired him, and cheered for him from afar. (As others did too -although reading back over this thread, wow, amazing how little people cared. I always loved the guy. On the other hand, it's not like people disliked him - I remember he came and hung out in the stands a couple of days after he was sold - imagine Pozo doing that at Genk!)

Mo Johnston sold him for a top price. It paid for the grass at BMO.

Best of luck Mo.

James17930
03-18-2019, 08:52 PM
A TFC original.

Salute!

stegosaurus
03-18-2019, 08:55 PM
Enjoy the golf, Mo. You deserve it!

OgtheDim
03-18-2019, 09:56 PM
He's been doing some analysis work of late on various programs. All the best to him.

Auzzy
03-18-2019, 10:51 PM
Maurice Edu officially hung them up today. The video he posted is worth watching (it's in two parts)

Wow, you found a thread with a post by Roogsy. On this very same page!

Congrats Mo!

Fort York Redcoat
03-19-2019, 05:34 AM
Always appreciated him but knew he couldn't stay. He got a heros welcome at Rangers but then they went down.

Looking back now I appreciate him just as much.

But he didn't have to pay for that grass. I mean, c'mon.

Enjoy Mo

ensco
03-19-2019, 06:13 AM
Wow, you found a thread with a post by Roogsy. On this very same page!

Congrats Mo!

Also picked up a Big Bruva as well!

Initial B
03-19-2019, 06:50 AM
Wow, this thread brings me back. All the best for Mo's future efforts. To me, he will always be the player who brought the grass to BMO. I do find the following little comment interesting, and wonder what the OP would say now if he wasn't banned.

De Guzman is a bum, and now he is playing for the Dutch national team at the Olympics. Altidore was a prick, we hated him, and now he plays for one of Spain's top teams, Edu played for the worst team in MLS history in 2007. He hoped to be part of something better this season, it didn't happen, and now he joins the elite young North American players leaving for Europe. The message here is that MLS will continue to be a bum league as long as these players leave. The criticisms of Edu are ridiculous. When the team faltered last year, he was the best player. Can you blame him for losing interest? Mo promised great new additions, and we got Harmse. Edu's leaving simply demonstrates how smart he is, and not regretting this move, demonstrates how stupid some of you are.
:rofl:

ensco
03-19-2019, 06:57 AM
^I have a pretty good memory. I don’t think Altidore was “hated” here in his NYRB days (or even noticed that much tbh). He wasn’t there that long. How much do you notice/hate, say, Jordan Morris today?

Angel was the guy we noticed.

The guy that was hated on that team was Kovalenko.