PDA

View Full Version : Are we getting a player today-pool

trane
08-15-2008, 09:29 AM
I say yes, but it will not be major.

Jay P
08-15-2008, 09:30 AM
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooobody!

and we lose edu

mclaren
Unfortunately no - Mo has left it too late.

Nodoubtguy
Hope - Yes
Gut feeling - No

flatpicker
yes, I think TFC are buying a pool.

trane
08-15-2008, 09:32 AM
^ I would not mind a pool right now.

Roogsy
Nope.

According to Ricketts, Chris Cummings already has a pool, so why get another one?

Shaughno
Not an international player. I think we'll sign someone before Sept. 15th though.

Bluenose13
08-15-2008, 09:33 AM
Watch for the announcement the deal is almost done.

OneLoveOneEric
08-15-2008, 09:33 AM
I predict a token signing. Someone that adds nothing except a headline.

Pigfynn
08-15-2008, 09:36 AM
What deal?

mclaren
08-15-2008, 09:37 AM
Maybe not a signing but a sale: http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2008/08/report-edu-set.html

trane
08-15-2008, 09:38 AM
I predict a token signing. Someone that adds nothing except a headline.

That is my feeling. I hope that I am wrong.

Northern Soul
08-15-2008, 09:40 AM
We'll see Mo Edu go bye bye, and nobody come in. That's what my head says.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-15-2008, 09:41 AM
Not an international player. I think we'll sign someone before Sept. 15th though.

Im with you on this, there are strategic reasons behind this too.

Jay P
08-15-2008, 09:45 AM
Adam Braz and Marco Reda !

billyfly
08-15-2008, 09:45 AM
^ I would not mind a pool right now.

International players dont want to come here if they have to clean a pool.

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 09:46 AM
^^ Exactly, they'd rather just swim in the pool.

mclaren
08-15-2008, 09:49 AM

It's sink or swim time now for us in the transfer market. :eek:

DigzTFC!
08-15-2008, 09:51 AM
Yes we will

Pigfynn
08-15-2008, 09:53 AM
I doubt we sign a player today guys. How often have we just seen a signing appear out of thin air? We haven't heard any rumblings except that french defender I guess.

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 09:54 AM
I doubt we sign a player today guys. How often have we just seen a signing appear out of thin air? We haven't heard any rumblings except that french defender I guess.

Two players have been mentioned in rumblings. Plus it's not impossible for them to have tabs on a player that we haven't heard about. Or it could be a player that Mo and/or Carver have been working on for a while. Who knows...

Northern Soul
08-15-2008, 09:55 AM

Or float...

Pigfynn
08-15-2008, 09:56 AM
Nah, not today boys.

Still, glad to hear about getting 5 million for the Fifa 09 super star!!!

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 09:59 AM
Nah, not today boys.

Still, glad to hear about getting 5 million for the Fifa 09 super star!!!

You never know...

Pigfynn
08-15-2008, 10:00 AM
Does that mean that you do know????

trane
08-15-2008, 10:02 AM
I just they will sing someone just to say, see we signed someone. But it could be Braz to play as CB, and Lombardo cousin to fill the Striker spot.

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 10:03 AM
Does that mean that you do know????

Haven't heard anything official.

Daveisonfire
08-15-2008, 10:03 AM
Two players have been mentioned in rumblings. Plus it's not impossible for them to have tabs on a player that we haven't heard about. Or it could be a player that Mo and/or Carver have been working on for a while. Who knows...

http://www.flagler.edu/uploadedImages/Students,_Faculty,_Staff/Career_Services/446px-Uncle_Sam_pointing_finger.jpg

Pigfynn
08-15-2008, 10:05 AM
We talking your mystery man here or someone else? You know something don't you Shags!?!

Lucky Strike
08-15-2008, 10:06 AM
yes, I think TFC are buying a pool.

Does the pool have an artifical or natural floor? Will players refuse to swim in it because it'll scrape their knees? Certainly the city will want the pool to be used year-round no?

Stouffville_RPB
08-15-2008, 10:07 AM
We're not getting anything today.

The thing I don't like about the whole Edu speculation is that Rangers negotiate with MLS. I understand MLS tries to make everything fair for every team but the sale of players should be up to the clubs.

DigzTFC!
08-15-2008, 10:08 AM
I think we will get someone because we have injuries and only have 16 senior roster spots taken up. We have to get someone

tlear
08-15-2008, 10:13 AM
Probably no

kitchener-TFC
08-15-2008, 10:14 AM
Does the pool have an artifical or natural floor? Will players refuse to swim in it because it'll scrape their knees? Certainly the city will want the pool to be used year-round no?
This just in! The argo's are demanding that they should be able to swim in it every second day!

Beach_Red
08-15-2008, 10:17 AM

The thing I don't like about the whole Edu speculation is that Rangers negotiate with MLS. I understand MLS tries to make everything fair for every team but the sale of players should be up to the clubs.

Yeah, I agree with you.

Does anyone know if there's some kind of plan for MLS? With the new teams coming on and fewer teams owned by the league is there some kind of plan for new rules?

mednus
08-15-2008, 10:27 AM
MLS has stated before that the sale of players IS up to the individual clubs.

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 10:29 AM

Correct, but the negotiations still involve the MLS.

bangersandmash
08-15-2008, 10:30 AM

The clubs must have some power... The Revs were able to keep Twellman.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-15-2008, 10:31 AM
They also had just signed him to a 3 or 4 year contract and refused to let him go

Roogsy
08-15-2008, 10:33 AM

Not altogether true...MLS has stepped in a couple of times to stop transfers. Twelleman for one.

Roogsy
08-15-2008, 10:34 AM
The clubs must have some power... The Revs were able to keep Twellman.

The Revs have always showed a willingness to sell players. I think it was MLS that stopped the Twelleman transfer not the Revs.

invictusTFC
08-15-2008, 10:34 AM
There hasn't been the slightest bit of speculation. Unless Mo and MLSE have been working diligently to keep any information from leaking to the media, I say that we're gonna get squat today.

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 10:35 AM
Not altogether true...MLS has stepped in a couple of times to stop transfers. Twelleman for one.

The club didn't want to sell him, that's why the league stepped in.

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 10:35 AM
There hasn't been the slightest bit of speculation. Unless Mo and MLSE have been working diligently to keep any information from leaking to the media, I say that we're gonna get squat today.

How so? Have we not been speculating over the past week on two players?

flatpicker
08-15-2008, 10:37 AM

didn't Squat play for Blackburn Rovers?

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 10:38 AM
didn't Squat play for Blackburn Rovers?

No that was Jack Shit

invictusTFC
08-15-2008, 10:38 AM
How so? Have we not been speculating over the past week on two players?

I don't know how much legs the Cristanval rumour has, and the Ruiz deal can be done at any time before September 15th. I'm talking about legitimate transfer window leads. What do I mean by legitimate? The fact that a player or agent confirms contacts i.e. Hucks and Dickov... not speculation on this board.

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 10:40 AM
So an agent/player has to make a public statement before it can be considered legitimate? :lol:

invictusTFC
08-15-2008, 10:41 AM
No that was Jack Shit

Jack Shit would slip in nicely at CB...

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 10:43 AM
^^ My thoughts exactly.

invictusTFC
08-15-2008, 10:46 AM
So an agent/player has to make a public statement before it can be considered legitimate? :lol:

What would you consider legitimate? No other players were ever talked about as much as Hucks and Dickov. I don't think the Nuno Gomes or Hakan Sukur speculation had any legitimacy to them. Maybe after today, Mo will be willing to discuss what players he targeted or tried to sign but until then all these names that have been floated about are just rumours.

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 10:47 AM
^^ I was just pullin' your leg mate. :lol:

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 10:52 AM
As per RonManager in the Edu officially gone thread...

A friend of mine is at BMO right now and says Wynne is practicing but Edu is not there. He says he will try to ask a few questions.

He also says there is a guy practicing with the team he has not seen before...skinny guy with blonde shoulder length hair. Any thoughts?

Maybe this guy?????

http://redbull.newyork.mlsnet.com/images/2007/02/01/btJcSfkV.jpg

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-15-2008, 10:52 AM
We talking your mystery man here or someone else? You know something don't you Shags!?!Actually, that would be "Shaughs"... ;)

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 11:05 AM
Actually, that would be "Shaughs"... ;)

Well.. it's actually Shaughno... but people use Shags since BC calls me Shag a Ho ;)

Ron Manager
08-15-2008, 11:05 AM
As per RonManager in the Edu officially gone thread...

Maybe this guy?????

http://redbull.newyork.mlsnet.com/images/2007/02/01/btJcSfkV.jpgI'll make a phone call and see if my mate can look into this...don't know if I can get the pic to him to compare tho....

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 11:06 AM
Email the pic to your phone... txt the pic to him. BAM! :lol:

invictusTFC
08-15-2008, 11:08 AM
Doesn't this mystery man have some major injury questions? Bad knees maybe?

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 11:11 AM
Which one? The one posted? Spent 06/07 out injured, haven't heard about any recurring injuries since, but I could be wrong.

I_AM_CANADIAN
I take it that's an RB Salzburg player?

I don't think Mo knows that there are any countries in Europe aside from the UK. ;)

Edit: My bad, hard to make out the MLS badge there.

Besides, that guy's not blond.

H Bomb
Doesn't this mystery man have some major injury questions? Bad knees maybe?

And he seems too old to make a difference IMO. With all these age and injury concerns I don't see the point, especially not for DP money.

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 11:12 AM
And he seems too old to make a difference IMO. With all these age and injury concerns I don't see the point, especially not for DP money.

Wait... who's too old to make a difference.

invictusTFC
08-15-2008, 11:14 AM

We're obviously not talking about the same player mate!

Daveisonfire
08-15-2008, 11:15 AM
^ "mystery man" is less than 30, no?

H Bomb
whoever it is we're trying to sign! ;)

jloome
He's been really good since the injury in as an attaking mid. I think they're nuts for not letting him try moving back to striker, given how weak the Shite are upfront since altidore left. He was really good there as a rook.

Ruiz is another issue. Obviously both teams need allocation bucks in abundance to shore up their problem areas, and we have that. But if we get the afore pictured player whom shall remain nameless...eh, think hard-shelled candy.... we probably donj't need Ruiz as well.

On the other hand, this shitty season notwithstanding Ruiz is a much better finisher than Cunny ever was, diving and poor sportsmanship notwithstanding.

It's tough.We've only got two slots, which is why these deals are taking a while to figure out, obviously. Maybe they've done it, though.....

Still think we need an anchor defender for next to Marshall.

Shaughno
^ "mystery man" is less than 30, no?

Correct, and only major injury that I know of.

Pigfynn
Mike M striker/midfielder

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 11:17 AM
He's been really good since the injury in as an attaking mid. I think they're nuts for not letting him try moving back to striker, given how weak the Shite are upfront since altidore left. He was really good there as a rook.

Ruiz is another issue. Obviously both teams need allocation bucks in abundance to shore up their problem areas, and we have that. But if we get the afore pictured player whom shall remain nameless...eh, think hard-shelled candy.... we probably donj't need Ruiz as well.

On the other hand, this shitty season notwithstanding Ruiz is a much better finisher than Cunny ever was, diving and poor sportsmanship notwithstanding.

It's tough.We've only got two slots, which is why these deals are taking a while to figure out, obviously. Maybe they've done it, though.....

Wondered the same myself about the Shite not playing him up front.

IMO, two slots, two players, one striker, one cb, one now, one before Sept 15th. If all goes well of course.

invictusTFC
08-15-2008, 11:18 AM
How will the nameless one's knees hold up on our turf?

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 11:18 AM
striker/midfielder

He only moved to midfield because they bought 3 foreign strikers in a single bound. He's played AM since, but still performs best up front on all accounts.

jloome
08-15-2008, 11:19 AM
Is Christanval a free agent? If so, the international transfer windows don't apply, he can sign at any time.

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 11:20 AM
Hmm... true. We'll see then.

invictusTFC
08-15-2008, 11:20 AM
Wondered the same myself about the Shite not playing him up front.

IMO, two slots, two players, one striker, one cb, one now, one before Sept 15th. If all goes well of course.

Well if we loose Edu, then we have another hole to fill (although its not as urgent)

Roogsy
08-15-2008, 11:21 AM

THIS IS EXACTLY RIGHT!

I know people have problems with Ruiz...shoot...I have problems with Ruiz. But despite problems this year (which can be attributed to his injury to a degree), he is a proven scorer and at this point, we are going to have to take something of a gamble. Yes...we did with Cunny and it didn't work. But we also did with Dichio and it did. Lesson? Unless you try, you will never truly know.

Now...as for the defender...please get one in Mo!

LucaGol
08-15-2008, 11:27 AM
Well if we loose Edu, then we have another hole to fill (although its not as urgent)

I know....seriously.....who's gonna start playing the Akon beats in the locker room after pathetic losses to USL teams where the entire team gave no effort.

That's a huge gap to fill.

invictusTFC
08-15-2008, 11:29 AM
I know....seriously.....who's gonna start playing the Akon beats in the locker room after pathetic losses to USL teams where the entire team gave no effort.

That's a huge gap to fill.

We still have Rohan for that...

DigzTFC!
08-15-2008, 11:32 AM
With the allocation we have now we can definitely afford Christanval now....

invictusTFC
08-15-2008, 11:34 AM
With the allocation we have now we can definitely afford Christanval now....

We don't even know if Mo has actually tried to make contacts with this guy...

arsenal
08-15-2008, 11:36 AM
http://redbull.newyork.mlsnet.com/images/2007/02/01/btJcSfkV.jpg

Mo Johnstone, manager NYRB 2006 on ^^^^....

"Mike Magee is going nowhere," he said Monday after a training session at the bubble outside Giants Stadium. "He has never been discussed in a trade. He is a talented soccer player who is something special."

"I think he is the best finisher on the club," Johnston said of the 21-year-old Magee. "He has knowledge and awareness. The problem is that over the last three years he's let himself down. In my mind he's got something, intangibles, that a lot of young Americans don't have."

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/01/sports/soccer/01soccer.html

jabbronies
08-15-2008, 11:37 AM
It's over people. We are not getting a player today. We're just going to have to make due with what we have right now.

You have to see the bigger picture here.

TFC have already surpassed what they have done last year with the team they have right now. That's good enough to say "We have made progress from last year". That alone is enough for MLSE and Mo to say "OK, we're done for this year. lets ride it out with what we have and see where it goes. Then we can re-think about where we need to go in the off season"

LucaGol
08-15-2008, 11:38 AM

Our team is pathetic.....every other team in the league...save a few....have reinforced their teams with players in the transfer window.

Not only have we not reinforced...we've lost and will lose players (maybe not influential players, or players we liked...but depth is depth).

Now, Im not saying any player is better than no player...but let's make something positive happen....(Chad Barrett deal doesn't count...Don Garber pulled the trigger on that one...that's the only reason why he's here)

As for a DP...you can forget about that. I can guarantee you that TFC will only sign a DP when attendance numbers start to fall off.....and I knew this right from the beginning of the DP talk...even from last season.

DigzTFC!
08-15-2008, 11:39 AM

Corland on these boards said Mo has contacted him....of course this is hearsay

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 12:02 PM
It's over people. We are not getting a player today. We're just going to have to make due with what we have right now.

TFC have already surpassed what they have done last year with the team they have right now. That's good enough to say "We have made progress from last year". That alone is enough for MLSE and Mo to say "OK, we're done for this year. lets ride it out with what we have and see where it goes. Then we can re-think about where we need to go in the off season"

All it would mean if we don't sign a player today, is that we aren't getting an International player who's still attached to a club.

We can still sign unattached players, we can still trade/sign within the MLS as well.

invictusTFC
08-15-2008, 12:08 PM
All it would mean if we don't sign a player today, is that we aren't getting an International player who's still attached to a club.

We can still sign unattached players, we can still trade/sign within the MLS as well.

We could all put to bed the notion of possibly getting a DP after today thats for sure. I'd be a little weary of signing any unattached players after the deadline today. It makes you think "why are they still unattached?" Mo will have to do what he does best; and that is make trades. If that is the case, I do not see any significant improvement for this team this season. Unless we get Ruiz and all of a sudden he rediscovers his scoring touch in the TFC colours.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-15-2008, 12:08 PM
jesus people become defeatists here quite quickly

Ossington Mental Youth
08-15-2008, 12:10 PM
Queue the fire mo comments until he signs someone that scores or gets an assist then everyone calms down until we crash out of the playoffs, then queue again until we make a decent signing in the off season, then queue again because its not enough signings, etc etc

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 12:11 PM
We could all put to bed the notion of possibly getting a DP after today thats for sure. I'd be a little weary of signing any unattached players after the deadline today. It makes you think "why are they still unattached?" Mo will have to do what he does best; and that is make trades. If that is the case, I do not see any significant improvement for this team this season. Unless we get Ruiz and all of a sudden he rediscovers his scoring touch in the TFC colours.

Where are you getting this DP talk from? Mo said DP next year, so I don't see how we would pull one off now.

jesus people become defeatists here quite quickly

Amazing isn't it? It's almost like if we don't sign an International player we're fucked for life. Nevermind the fact that there are plenty of players that could be signed, namely the two that have been tossed around recently who this deadline does not apply to.

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 12:13 PM
Queue the fire mo comments until he signs someone that scores or gets an assist then everyone calms down until we crash out of the playoffs, then queue again until we make a decent signing in the off season, then queue again because its not enough signings, etc etc

Oh Toronto... You drive me crazy... oh yes it's true... all the fans are fucking nuts... I don't know what to do...

DigzTFC!
08-15-2008, 12:16 PM
Here's how I know something is going to happen today: TFC TV has not previewed the game yet....which means their waiting to announce at the news

flatpicker
08-15-2008, 12:18 PM
Oh Toronto... You drive me crazy... oh yes it's true... all the fans are fucking nuts... I don't know what to do...

...but I'm glad you scored 5 million bucks ... simply for Edu!

jloome
08-15-2008, 12:19 PM
Hmmm, talked to a guy in the know whom you all know and he says the Magee deal is dead. So maybe that wasn't him out there today.

Another guy less in the know but in the know (yeah, it's like a friggin' boyscout secret handshake or something) says Ruiz is still possible.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-15-2008, 12:19 PM
BWAHAHAHAHA
All too true

Amazing isn't it? It's almost like if we don't sign an International player we're fucked for life. Nevermind the fact that there are plenty of players that could be signed, namely the two that have been tossed around recently who this deadline does not apply to.

I would be worried if there wasnt some sort of rumors going on as per mentioned, especially as we didnt sign Dickov (who i think Mo relied on too much), but the rumors are there people and they are realistic to boot. Just a matter of time. Especially as its only 1 of two windows thats about to close.
I bet people are still dissatisfied with the signings anyways "Why didnt we sign Del Piero, he has 3rd cousins here in Toronto" "I heard that Van Nistilrooy wants to quite real and respects Canada for their effort in the war"

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 12:20 PM
Van Nistelrooj told me himself that he was going to sign for us.

jloome
08-15-2008, 12:21 PM
Hmmm, my first post of this disappeared? Anyway, apparently the Red Bull deal is kaputsky, dead, was being considered but didn't go ahead, says a source who knows this stuff. Also, another gent less-in-the-know-but-still-in-the-know says the Ruiz deal is still possible.

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 12:22 PM
^^ Hmm.. I wonder why the RB deal got dropped?

OneLoveOneEric
08-15-2008, 12:24 PM
Let's be fair. I'm not looking for RVN or Del Piero. What I would like to see is a signing that is more than deck shuffling a la Rafa Benitez. Just swapping guys of equal worth doesn't help much, does it?

DigzTFC!
08-15-2008, 12:28 PM
That deal went stale when he scored....and they couldn't guarantee the other foreign strikers signatures. I'm really doubting Mo right now. We've been told for almost 2 months we'd get a striker and he wasn't referring to Chad Barrett either. Do we have 3 senior roster spots open with Dunivant removed?

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 12:29 PM
That deal went stale when he scored....and they couldn't guarantee the other foreign strikers signatures. I'm really doubting Mo right now. We've been told for almost 2 months we'd get a striker and he wasn't referring to Chad Barrett either. Do we have 3 senior roster spots open with Dunivant removed?

Good call, just read the report and apparently not only did he score but he played very well too.

bangersandmash
08-15-2008, 12:30 PM
Let's be fair. I'm not looking for RVN or Del Piero. What I would like to see is a signing that is more than deck shuffling a la Rafa Benitez. Just swapping guys of equal worth doesn't help much, does it?

Agreed. A number of people around here have pointed out that we need a CB and we super-extra-need a striker. Mo's a wise man, he's not going to sign someone just to throw the internet fan-boys a bone but it does build anticipation when *everyone* can see what is holding the team back and [because of the MLS cone of silence that is imposed upon Mo] it looks like nothing is happening. I would actually be *grateful* if Mo came out and said "I tried, but I got nothing" so that I could stop checking the boards every 30 seconds.

Having said that, I really, honestly do believe that the current team has what it takes to make the playoffs.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-15-2008, 12:34 PM
Too bad about Magee, not terribly surprised after that game report, its a surprise it took so long for them to play him in his natural position. I wouldnt doubt that Mo tried to lowball em as they wanted to sign that USL striker. Maybe we can get a foot in the door there?
Cant say im excited about Ruiz in the slightest

Ossington Mental Youth
08-15-2008, 12:35 PM
so who is this blonde guy then?
someone totally diff?

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 12:36 PM
^^ That's what I'm wondering as well...

In other totally unrelated news... People say Torontonians are egotistical...

http://www.nevadasmiths.net/clubs/MLS2NYCclub_logo.jpg

World's greatest game to the world's greatest city. Sorry, Chicago is a better city and that's not even leaving your own fucking cuntry.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-15-2008, 12:37 PM
Totally caught that anytime 'the player' is mentioned, the post is automatically deleted.
hilarious.

jloome
08-15-2008, 12:38 PM
Yeah, much prefer Chicago. But that's the global perspective, largely thanks to Wall Street and history (King Kong, funnily enough, had a significant global impact on New York being seen as the greatest city in America, at the very least.)

gtaguy
I would actually be *grateful* if Mo came out and said "I tried, but I got nothing" so that I could stop checking the boards every 30 seconds.

SO SO TRUE..

Im glad Im the one running the network here at my work cuase eigtherwise I'd already be canned.

OneLoveOneEric
ARGH! Am I the only one not seeing it?????

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 12:39 PM
I noticed that before as well. :p

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 12:40 PM

Seeing what? :noidea:

mclaren
08-15-2008, 12:43 PM

very sadly, you are 100% correct. mediocrity rules at TFC.

Shaughno
so who is this blonde guy then?
someone totally diff?

Manuel Diego Tello ??

http://www.marca.com/ficheros/marca/imagenes/tello200706_ES.jpg

Beach_Red
I would actually be *grateful* if Mo came out and said "I tried, but I got nothing" so that I could stop checking the boards every 30 seconds.

Having said that, I really, honestly do believe that the current team has what it takes to make the playoffs.

Yeah, me too. Except I don't think Mo will stop trying. When this window closes there'll be something else to concentrate on. It just never ends.

And I'd also like to see th current team all healthy and available make a run for the playoffs.

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 12:44 PM
very sadly, you are 100% correct. mediocrity rules at TFC.

Just curious if you've read the latest press release indicating they're close to signing two players?

DigzTFC!
08-15-2008, 12:44 PM
What's all this blond guy talk?

invictusTFC
08-15-2008, 12:45 PM
Where are you getting this DP talk from? Mo said DP next year, so I don't see how we would pull one off now.

I'm not saying that I thinks we're getting a DP or think we need to get a DP. I'm just saying that anybody on this board who still has that hope will have that door officially slammed shut after today... until next season...

jloome
Hmmm, Sky Sports' stat page dubiously rates him as "below average, out of touch"

mclaren
Just curious if you've read the latest press release indicating they're close to signing two players?

no, i haven't actually...where is it? (just got back from work) ;)

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 12:46 PM
I'm not saying that I thinks we're getting a DP or think we need to get a DP. I'm just saying that anybody on this board who still has that hope will have that door officially slammed shut after today... until next season...

To be honest, I dont' understand why anyone was actually EXPECTING a DP this season...

koryo
08-15-2008, 12:47 PM
To be honest, I dont' understand why anyone was actually EXPECTING a DP this season...

Because they're the same ones who were expecting a deep playoff run this year.

I don't understand it either.

JonO
08-15-2008, 12:47 PM
Me neither... damn work keeps interfering with my business :)

OneLoveOneEric
08-15-2008, 12:48 PM
Seeing what? :noidea:

The name of the mystery player!!

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 12:48 PM
Oh... that's because it's gone before two posts happen. :lol: Apparently not happening anyway, so don't worry about it. :p

ACSertL
08-15-2008, 12:50 PM
Hmmm, Sky Sports' stat page dubiously rates him as "below average, out of touch"

Also if you look at the SKY page on Levante...they list #25 Laurent Robert?? Something we don't know?

http://www.skysports.com/football/player/0,19754,11850_403609,00.html

invictusTFC
08-15-2008, 12:50 PM

What press release and when was it released?

DigzTFC!
08-15-2008, 12:51 PM
I`m probably reposting this but I don`t care

"He's a young Spanish player who was at Real Madrid and Levante. He's a free agent, and we've been having a look at him all week. He'll be with us until early next week, and then we'll make a decision," said Carver.

When asked about player movement, Carver responded: "There are at least two things going on. We could have one signing by the weekend. I can promise you we are quite close."

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080815&content_id=180349&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

Beach_Red
08-15-2008, 12:52 PM

Well, because the team can afford one, so why not? There was a period a few weeks ago when most positions on the team looked good, they were playing well and a DP striker would have made a big difference - or so people here said.

So, it turns out the team really is only its second year and that's not long enough to really build any serious depth. But the playoffs still aren;t out of reach.

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 12:54 PM
Also if you look at the SKY page on Levante...they list #25 Laurent Robert?? Something we don't know?

http://www.skysports.com/football/player/0,19754,11850_403609,00.html

I highly doubt it's a swap if that's what you're thinking....

DigzTFC!
Tello commentary:

Player skillful technically very good. Good pin and major supplier. He knows perfectly read the game, always choosing the best option. Very worker and disciplined. In short, a very serious and basic player at any club

http://www.mushofutbol.com/manuel-diego-tello-jorge-t9823.html?t=9823

A product of Real Madrid system. If anything he can consult us on how to improve our academy

ACSertL
I highly doubt it's a swap if that's what you're thinking....

No I just thought it was odd to see Robert's name there.

Well given that he played there just before he went to Derby...I guess the page just wasn't updated.

invictusTFC
08-15-2008, 12:57 PM
No I just thought it was odd to see Robert's name there.

He played for Levante before moving to Derby. My guess is that Sky sports isn't very good at updating their roster pages...

ACSertL
08-15-2008, 12:58 PM
He played for Levante before moving to Derby. My guess is that Sky sports isn't very good at updating their roster pages...

Yeah, just updated my post :)

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 12:58 PM
Idiots. :lol:

DigzTFC!
08-15-2008, 01:00 PM
Do you think Robert is the scout on this one...I`m mean does mo have scouts in spain

invictusTFC
08-15-2008, 01:00 PM
Tello commentary:

Player skillful technically very good. Good pin and major supplier. He knows perfectly read the game, always choosing the best option. Very worker and disciplined. In short, a very serious and basic player at any club

http://www.mushofutbol.com/manuel-diego-tello-jorge-t9823.html?t=9823

A product of Real Madrid system. If anything he can consult us on how to improve our academy

I think these are the type of players we should be examining more often. He must have some decent quality to have played for the Real Madrid Reserves.

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 01:01 PM
No idea.. but I don't see why a Real Madrid youth player can't at least be as good as the average MLS youngster or better.

ACSertL
08-15-2008, 01:02 PM
Do you think Robert is the scout on this one...I`m mean does mo have scouts in spain

Hamstring injury my ass! :)

invictusTFC
No idea.. but I don't see why a Real Madrid youth player can't at least be as good as the average MLS youngster or better.

My point exactly...

Ossington Mental Youth
Logic would dictate Mo's got something up his sleeve for a striker, he must have as Carver has been calling for one since he got here and we are trialing a midfielder

Ossington Mental Youth
08-15-2008, 01:06 PM
excited by rumors, i swear its the viagra of morale

Stouffville_RPB
08-15-2008, 01:07 PM
I`m probably reposting this but I don`t care

"He's a young Spanish player who was at Real Madrid and Levante. He's a free agent, and we've been having a look at him all week. He'll be with us until early next week, and then we'll make a decision," said Carver.

When asked about player movement, Carver responded: "There are at least two things going on. We could have one signing by the weekend. I can promise you we are quite close."

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080815&content_id=180349&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

Uplifting quotes from Carver.

invictusTFC
08-15-2008, 01:07 PM
Logic would dictate Mo's got something up his sleeve for a striker, he must have as Carver has been calling for one since he got here and we are trialing a midfielder

Nothing would surprise me as far as Mo is concerned. I'm just a little disconcerted by his lack of urgency if this is the case. If he does have something up his sleeve, or has been working on something, why doesn't he just pull the trigger dammit. How many more games does this team have to play handicapped like this.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-15-2008, 01:10 PM
Fair enough, cant say i havent been nervous myself

DigzTFC!
08-15-2008, 01:18 PM
I think we have to realize how long it takes to approach players and sign them. All those players Osorio just signed have been in the works for about 5 months. The problem is Mo had targeted certain player and now has to change his focus to others and begin the whole process over again. You don't just call up a guy and say a number and he says yes....For better or worse, I'm sure he's working pretty hard. Or we could try to sign anyone who can kick a ball and have more Cunningham's on our team, but hey they'd be international

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 01:18 PM
Nothing would surprise me as far as Mo is concerned. I'm just a little disconcerted by his lack of urgency if this is the case. If he does have something up his sleeve, or has been working on something, why doesn't he just pull the trigger dammit. How many more games does this team have to play handicapped like this.

You can't really say if he is urgent or not though. I mean it could be up to the league, or the player. Who knows why the deals are stalling until the last minute really.

Though, if you look at Mo's plan.. he's been looking at younger, experienced players. This IMO is a huge plus.

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 01:19 PM
I think we have to realize how long it takes to approach players and sign them. All those players Osorio just signed have been in the works for about 5 months. The problem is Mo had targeted certain player and now has to change his focus to others and begin the whole process over again. You don't just call up a guy and say a number and he says yes....For better or worse, I'm sure he's working pretty hard. Or we could try to sign anyone who can kick a ball and have more Cunningham's on our team, but hey they'd be international

Exactly, it doesn't just happen. There's always plenty of shit going on behind the scenes that we have no clue about.

UltraSuperMegaMo
08-15-2008, 01:56 PM
I wouldn’t be surprised if the players we’re targeting are unattached (like Tello) and as such the deadline isn’t so much of an issue. Having said that, from the perspective of the way the team’s been playing, sooner good, later bad.

invictusTFC
08-15-2008, 01:58 PM
Though, if you look at Mo's plan.. he's been looking at younger, experienced players. This IMO is a huge plus.

Can't argue with you there... If he can just stay away from the 30+ championship ore league one players altogether, I'll be happy...

flatpicker
08-15-2008, 01:59 PM
so are we getting a pool or not???!!!!

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 02:01 PM
so are we getting a pool or not???!!!!

Dude, there already is one! Well.. that the one coach has anyway.

GabrielHurl
08-15-2008, 02:36 PM
Well - we've got one

Johann Smith from Bolton (striker)

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 02:37 PM
Yep, all you haters can stuff it now... :rofl: :lol:

mr k
08-15-2008, 02:39 PM
another glorified American player?!!

Ossington Mental Youth
08-15-2008, 02:57 PM
ech,
some people are never happy

GabrielHurl
08-15-2008, 02:58 PM
another glorified American player?!!

as opposed to a below-average Canadian?

rocker
08-15-2008, 03:00 PM
usually it's the canadians who get glorified around here....

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 03:01 PM
Glorified? How so?

rocker
08-15-2008, 03:18 PM
Glorified? How so?

maybe a better word is "overrated".

Example: the lament for the loss of Pozniak. Or the harping on getting young Canadian players and then the young guys don't live up to it ..

but I may be confusing this board with U-sector or the Voyageurs board ;)
over on Voyageurs, TFC is supposed to be the farm team of the national side, and apparently every canadian young lad wants to come to TFC but Mo has said no ;)

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 03:22 PM
To be honest, when it comes to TFC, I don't give a fuck about any other team or where the players are from as long as they get the job done on the pitch.

If that's what he does, great. If he doesn't are we really any worse off than if we didn't sign him? I mean, we need depth right now and he's also a look for the future so I don't see any negative out of this yet.