PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Friday , Aug.15

denime
08-15-2008, 06:04 AM
Toronto FC face New York in key match

Each in a four-way tie in conference, teams seek a boost

NEW YORK RED BULLS vs. TORONTO FC
Aug. 17, 2008 | 5 p.m. ET (MSG; TheScore)

A vital battle in the Eastern Conference is ahead again at Giants Stadium, as Toronto FC travels to face the New York Red Bulls. The teams are level on 25 points in a four-way tie at the foot of the division - with the 25 points also currently the cutoff for playoff qualification. With a large number of new faces playing after their midseason makeover, the Red Bulls won for the first time in six games last weekend, defeating D.C. United. Toronto FC won for the first time in seven games - and for the first time since April on the road - in a win at Colorado.

Read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080814&content_id=180177&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

Official Voyageurs Press Release for Aug. 20th Game

August 14, 2008

Unprecented Fan Support Expected for Canadian National Soccer Team
More than 1000 fans expected to march on BMO Field ahead of August 20 World Cup Qualifier

Toronto, ON – The Voyageurs, Canada's largest community of soccer supporters, has taken up the challenge to ensure our Canadian Men’s National Soccer Team benefits from a true home field advantage when they take the field for their crucial World Cup Qualifying match vs. Jamaica on August 20, 2008 at BMO Field in Toronto.

Historically, Canadian National Teams have not enjoyed proper support when playing matches in Canada, especially when the games have been played in Toronto, but for this World Cup Qualifying cycle, things will be different. Thanks to a massive response by Canadian soccer fans from across the country, including all the Toronto FC Supporter Groups, our National Team will play in front of an enthusiastic, heavily pro-Canadian crowd next Wednesday evening.

The quality and intensity of support for the Canadian Men’s National Team will be unprecedented. The Voyageurs will be out in full force like never before, with members traveling to Toronto specifically for this game from as far away as Victoria, BC in the west and St. John’s, Newfoundland in the east and from all points in between. Together with the tremendous Toronto FC supporter groups (U-Sector, The Red Patch Boys, The North End Elite and The Ultras 114), the Canadian supporters will be in full voice to help carry our team to victory as they start the journey to World Cup South Africa 2010.

To get this important game day started, more than 1000 members of The Voyageurs and the Toronto FC Supporter Groups will be marching together to BMO Field, beginning from the corner of King St. and Dufferin St. at 6:30 pm. We encourage all Canadian soccer supporters to join this procession. It will be a truly unique spectacle.

The Voyageurs believe that a stadium full of proud Canadians, willing to lend their vocal and visual support, will help motivate our national team players to achieve great success. We will also have our full assortment of Flags and Banners on display at upcoming national team matches, including the well traveled “Super Canucks’ banner which will be appearing in its fifth World Cup Qualifying cycle. We encourage everyone in attendance to do their part to support the Canadian team by Wearing Red as well as joining the supporters groups in all of our chants and songs. A loud Sea of Red in the stands will give our team a huge boost when they enter the field of play.

For the past several months, The Voyageurs have worked closely with the Canadian Soccer Association on the following initiatives to ensure that BMO Field will packed with enthusiastic pro-Canadian supporters:

Designated Supporters Sections

For the first time ever, the Canadian Soccer Association has agreed to set aside official Canadian Supporter’s Sections at each host stadium. On August 20th, the entire south end of BMO Field (sections 111-119), as well as sections 101-104 and sections 127-130 will feature thousands of hard core Canadian soccer supporters who will be proudly wearing their Canadian colours while waving flags and singing and chanting for the full 90 minutes. All four corners of BMO Field will be standing and jumping for Canada and it is expected that the vast majority of the crowd will be enthusiastically supporting Canada.

Ticketing

Thanks to excellent co-operation from the CSA, The Voyageurs were able to arrange a pre-sale for its members and the members of the main Toronto FC supporter groups. It was our collective goal to ensure the vast majority of the tickets for this important match ended up in the hands of Canadian supporters. The pre-sale period was a smashing success as the designated supporters sections quickly sold out.

In addition to working with the supporters groups, The CSA (together with the Ontario Soccer Association) deserve credit for making a concerted effort to reach out to local community soccer clubs, making it easy and affordable for young players and coaches to purchase tickets for this important match. Community clubs across the GTA area have purchased large blocks of tickets for this game and, as a result, the August 20th game at BMO Field is now essentially sold out and ticket sales have been very brisk for the Canada v Honduras match on September 6th in Montreal.

About The Voyageurs

The Voyageurs is the largest community of Canadian soccer supporters, with members from across Canada and around the world. Since our creation in 1996, our mandate has been to promote Canadian soccer and to be a visible presence at every national team game, both at home and abroad. We travel great distances to watch our national teams play and to support those players who proudly wear the red and white.

Since 2002 The Voyageurs have also been the proud sponsors of the Voyageurs Cup, awarded to the best men’s and women's soccer clubs in Canada in head-to-head competition. The Voyageur’s Cup was donated by The Voyageurs to the CSA earlier this year so it could be awarded to the winners of the inaugural Nutrilite Canadian Soccer Championship.

The Voyageurs website is http://www.thevoyageurs.com (http://www.thevoyageurs.com/)

SUNSHINE :)
(http://www.torontosun.com/SUNshineGirl/home.html)

DOMIN8R
08-15-2008, 06:06 AM
Mornin' Denime.

Velvet Elvis
08-15-2008, 07:23 AM
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=8&pictureid=712

rocker
08-15-2008, 07:55 AM
check the sunshine girl video... "I don't go for looks just personality, strictly personality."
hahaha... I bet!

Technorgasm
08-15-2008, 08:31 AM
And The Reds Go Marching On To Victory!

Hustle
08-15-2008, 09:04 AM
I am officially the newest supporter of FC Porto thanks to that sunshine girl.:drool5:

Roogsy
08-15-2008, 09:27 AM
Where does it say she is a Porto fan?

As for the Voyageurs news release...this is the sort of good news I like to see in the morning. Fantastic stuff. It's a big regret of mine that I won't be here for this...

Dub Narcotic
08-15-2008, 09:37 AM
Sunshine has been on a roll recently. That Thursday girl was great too.

Roogsy
08-15-2008, 09:57 AM
Agreed...this was a decent week.

I know some may disagree...but like the cutie from Wednesday. A bit of a chubby bunny...but I prefer them that way to skinny coatracks.

scooter
08-15-2008, 10:11 AM
mornin thks denime

oh

CoachGT
08-15-2008, 10:45 AM
Ben Knight just updated his blog at

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/blogs/soccerblog

All about the Argos and BMO - nice piece Ben!

kitchener-TFC
08-15-2008, 11:18 AM
^Excellent piece of writing!

BuSaPuNk
08-15-2008, 11:31 AM
^ completely agree.....excellent...

denime
08-15-2008, 12:51 PM
Friday news and notes

Team news ahead of the trip to New York

Toronto FC trained at BMO Field on Friday ahead of Sunday's game at New York Red Bulls (kick off 5:00 p.m. live on The Score.) Tyrone Marshall didn't train with the team, and is unlikely to be fit for Sunday's game. "We're looking quite good on the injury front," said Coach John Carver. "We've only got Todd Dunivant and Tyrone Marshall who are on the sidelines."
Marshall was substituted with injury in the first half of last week's win at Colorado Rapids.
"This weekend comes too early for Tyrone. He's still got a problem with his thigh. He had a scan and there was a slight tear there. We're not going to take any risks with him. If he's not fit for Sunday, he probably won't be fit to play on Wednesday for Jamaica either," said Carver.
"Danny Dichio has had a great week under his belt. I was delighted that he got on the pitch for 15 minutes last weekend. He's had a good week of training. Laurent Robert has trained all week and had no reaction to his hamstring injury."

Read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080815&content_id=180349&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

TFC 420
08-15-2008, 12:58 PM
Where does it say she is a Porto fan?

As for the Voyageurs news release...this is the sort of good news I like to see in the morning. Fantastic stuff. It's a big regret of mine that I won't be here for this...

She didn't say she was Porto fan. Only that she was born in Porto.

Hustle
08-15-2008, 07:45 PM
Yeah, poor attempt at a footie relation I admit, but it at least you got to watch the video