PDA

View Full Version : Mo Edu On His Way Out?

Just TFC
08-15-2008, 12:21 AM
According to the Soccer Insider by Steve Goff, the Glasgow Rangers are bidding $5m for Edu.

What do you think? Is he ready enough/mature to move on? Will TFC suffer MORE without our rookie of the year?

I personally think Edu was a bit slower this year, and players like Hemming/Rosenlund can fill in that CM gap left by Edu.

But, either way, if TFC doesn't or does suffer with Edu's loss, we need more players, agreed?

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/

Oblio2
08-15-2008, 12:31 AM
Edu has been shit this year. He will tank at Rangers.

S_D
08-15-2008, 12:33 AM
He hasn't been doing that well for TFC this season, so why not sell him? 5 mill is nothing to sneeze at.

The only drawback is TFC is already short handed and with the window closed today, it is hard to get your hands on any players outside of the MLS unless they are free agents.

ChrisLav
08-15-2008, 12:34 AM
Wow... that's a huge fee. Especially for Rangers since they're out of Europe for this year already. And players are definitely needed for this year regardless of his status.

Also Goff noted that: "Edu, the No. 1 overall pick from Maryland and rookie of the year last season, is scheduled to join the U.S. national team in Miami on Sunday to prepare for Wednesday's World Cup qualifier at Guatemala."

So TFC may not have Edu back for the match on Sunday as most had hoped.

jloome
08-15-2008, 01:17 AM
We should ask for Steven Naismith or Kyle Lafferty on a season loan as part of the deal.

kodiakTFC
08-15-2008, 01:37 AM
I wouldn't be too torn up over this. I'd be happier that we got some cash to spend on a DP.

DigzTFC!
08-15-2008, 01:37 AM
I'm hammered (really)...and I'll I can say is this isn't unexpected and makes me think what other player can't be sold at a profit. Mo Edu is all hype and no play. If the USA had Cunningham as their starting striker in U23, he would be a target. Europe scouting is amazingly aweful. Thats why players become so expensive to european clubs....they wait until someone else talks about them... I can't see straight...fuck Edu

VPjr
08-15-2008, 02:23 AM
If he goes, it will leave a hole in the roster but carver is misusing him anyway so if someone is really willing to fork out $5 million, I'd take it.

Dub Narcotic
08-15-2008, 03:18 AM
Edu to me is a tweener. Not skilled enough to play CM, not physical enough to play CB. We'll see how he does I guess, he certainly has held his own internationally and still young enough to improve.

Draracle
08-15-2008, 04:50 AM
I doubt we would let him go this season -- we wouldn't be able to fill the spot. After the season is over? Maybe. Also, I don't think Edu has been playing as bad as people think.

denime
08-15-2008, 06:07 AM
Let him go, 2.5 mil for TFC to sign a DP for next year.

CanuckPete
08-15-2008, 06:34 AM
I can see him coming back in 18 months or so and the Galaxy picking him up because of the allocation list.

Flipityflu
08-15-2008, 07:09 AM
hmmmmmmmmmm, so loads of people here complain that Mo hasn't signed anybody before the deadline, yet embrace getting rid of a player when we have no real depth...

Fort York Redcoat
08-15-2008, 07:34 AM
Where are the teddy bears on this board? Are you shaking your heads or what? Gers seem to have an MLS crush. Look out. From our pov I don't want him to go since we are still in this. But that is a lot of $$$ and we know how MO is...

rocker
08-15-2008, 07:38 AM
if Mo had contributed more this year I'd hate this move... but I'm surprisingly unconcerned about it. $5mil is a lot of dough and way too much for Edu given what he's shown.
His hype is far greater than his actual performance.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-15-2008, 07:41 AM
I think everyone has been expecting too much from him (also i dont think hes played as well as he could/should), that being said, i dont mind him being sold off as we have more talent on the team this year, sadly not the depth. I wont be happy to see him come back to another team (especially as he will be out of this years funk or what have you)

rocker
08-15-2008, 07:43 AM
certainly the hype machine expects too much from him. but I don't think we are.
we as fans are just expecting him to play as well or better than last year.
i think he's regressed.

Artur3575
08-15-2008, 07:49 AM
certainly the hype machine expects too much from him. but I don't think we are.
we as fans are just expecting him to play as well or better than last year.
i think he's regressed.
i think the same way and also you know that sooner or later he would go to europe might as well pull the deal now but i hope we could sign someone as well for all the allocation money we collected ....Hmm Mo !

invictusTFC
08-15-2008, 07:55 AM
According to the Soccer Insider by Steve Goff, the Glasgow Rangers are bidding $5m for Edu.

What do you think? Is he ready enough/mature to move on? Will TFC suffer MORE without our rookie of the year?

I personally think Edu was a bit slower this year, and players like Hemming/Rosenlund can fill in that CM gap left by Edu.

But, either way, if TFC doesn't or does suffer with Edu's loss, we need more players, agreed?

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/

Although Edu has been playing well below par this season, I disagree with you with respects to Hemming and Roselund. They are certainly not ready to be starters in this league. They are nice bench players, but in no way do they possess the quality to be in the starting XI.
I honestly think that some people have Maple Leaf syndrome on this forum. The way we constantly overvalue certain individuals on this team amazes me (particularly the Canadian talent). We are talking about (in most cases) very young and inexperienced players. If guys like Roselund, Hemming, Gala and Attakora were can't miss prospects, they would be plying their trade across the pond. Right now, they are what they are, good role players who are learning to play at this level. Management is doing a good job with them slowly bringing them into the fold.

gtaguy
08-15-2008, 07:55 AM
get r done MO .... Im sure well be able to replace him with someone in our reserve squad...

ACSertL
08-15-2008, 07:56 AM
How much of that 5 million would TFC be entitled to?

Ossington Mental Youth
08-15-2008, 08:03 AM
15% or something.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-15-2008, 08:03 AM
I really dont know who we will replace him with,
Harmse?
no
Rosenlund?
No
We wont find a suitable replacement till next season if he leaves this season

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 08:21 AM
^^ Exactly, wait the season out then if he wants to go, let him.

Roogsy
08-15-2008, 08:24 AM
I'm hammered (really)...and I'll I can say is this isn't unexpected and makes me think what other player can't be sold at a profit. Mo Edu is all hype and no play. If the USA had Cunningham as their starting striker in U23, he would be a target. Europe scouting is amazingly aweful. Thats why players become so expensive to european clubs....they wait until someone else talks about them... I can't see straight...fuck Edu

This is the funniest thread of the week.

You really need to post more when you're plastered.

And yet...I agree with it all!

Roogsy
08-15-2008, 08:39 AM
And I believe the the percentage is something like this (although I am not 100% sure)

Trasnfer fee "x"
Player 10%
Team 40%
MLS 50%

*** I just checked online (it was somewhat difficult to find) but it actually goes like this:

Player 10%
MLS 30%
Team 60% but are not allowed to spend more than 500k on a replacement for the player which apparently killed the chances of Robbie Fowler heading to the Revs after Dempsey left for Fulham.

Don Julio
08-15-2008, 09:34 AM
Wow.. How much of the fee does EA get? That's the only way this makes sense - scouting by video game cover art.

weeskunner57
08-15-2008, 10:03 AM
Where are the teddy bears on this board? Are you shaking your heads or what? Gers seem to have an MLS crush. Look out. From our pov I don't want him to go since we are still in this. But that is a lot of $$$ and we know how MO is...

you would have to think the rangers braintrust(oxymoron intended) asked Beasley about Edu..
If he's used properly I think he'll do fine if he goes over...and having Beasley there to help him adjust to the Glesca way of life won't hurt..

canadian_bhoy
08-15-2008, 10:17 AM
No chance Edu can deal with the SPL. A red card tackle in MLS barely gets a second look in Scotland. Just wait till those cold nights up in Inverness when he gets munched by some 19 year old trying to make a name for himself.

I hope Celtic play Bobo Balde just once this season so that he can break Edu's legs.

Good riddence you overhyped - big headed - underperforming donkey.

Roogsy
08-15-2008, 10:18 AM
LOL! Mikey! Tell us how you REALLY feel...

You'd better hope he gets dealt now because what if he winds up playing a couple more years for us?

MrHawk
08-15-2008, 10:27 AM
The thing is, Rangers bid $5M/year for him.

Chance are, he'll ride the bench for most of the year and play the cellar teams more often than not and make a few substitutes here and there. Unless he's willing to take the cash like so many others.

DigzTFC!
08-15-2008, 10:30 AM
He would have a better chance in the SPL than the EPL. Two things are bothering me about this report....1) Is he leaving now or is this a pre-contract? 2) Carver has been quoted as using him in the lineup so does Carver not know what Mo is up to at all?

Roogsy
08-15-2008, 10:32 AM
This is a Ranger bid, not whether Mo is up to anything at all, we're not even sure they are going to take it! (Which would be madness...MADNESS!)

DigzTFC!
08-15-2008, 10:35 AM
This is a Ranger bid, not whether Mo is up to anything at all, we're not even sure they are going to take it! (Which would be madness...MADNESS!)

Good point...but you have to think Mo would have something to do with a RANGERS bid right?

Stouffville_RPB
08-15-2008, 10:45 AM
What bugs me the most is that Rangers get to bid with MLS. I hate the way that every player goes through MLS before the team. Didn't we miss out on signing someone because your contract is with MLS instead of the team? MLS's control on players is the stupidest thing in this league.

I don't want to see Edu leave for this reason. Let's say they take the deal and he goes to Rangers and doesn't live up to expectations and decides to return to MLS. He doesn't return to TFC and teams don't bid for him he goes in the stupid allocation process. All the problems the sale would cause isn't worth the $3million (60% of the $5million) we would get.

boban
08-15-2008, 10:59 AM
I don't want to see Edu leave for this reason. Let's say they take the deal and he goes to Rangers and doesn't live up to expectations and decides to return to MLS. He doesn't return to TFC and teams don't bid for him he goes in the stupid allocation process. All the problems the sale would cause isn't worth the $3million (60% of the $5million) we would get.
Give me $3M and I'll tell you its worth it.

Roogsy
08-15-2008, 11:06 AM
We shall continue discussion here:

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=4691

Closing this thread.