PDA

View Full Version : Brennan sells out to FieldTurf?

dantdot
08-14-2008, 05:03 PM
A little but of a lull in news recently but http://www.exchangemagazine.com/morningpost/2008/week33/Thursday/081405.html excuse me while I :puke:

Redpunkfiddle
08-14-2008, 05:06 PM
Well, sorry. The only reason I'd like to see grass is that some players (including ones we have targeted) have the perception- fear if you will- that artificial is worse for them. If Brennan happens to be man enough to take it, that's good enough for me (and he's making a few bucks too- can you blame him?)

So one day we may really only have a team of Jimmy B's.....

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
08-14-2008, 05:12 PM
A little but of a lull in news recently but http://www.exchangemagazine.com/morningpost/2008/week33/Thursday/081405.html excuse me while I :puke:

I'm glad to see FieldTurf being installed in more and more major soccer stadiums because it eliminates poor playing conditions, inconsistent field spots, and unpredictable bounces. The future outlook for FieldTurf is very bright given the product's performance, built-in durability features, and success on the international stage. The recent MLS All-Star game at BMO Field proved to a lot of the league's top players that this surface is ideal

we will be the only team in MLS very soon...with FT!!

Id like to see a the list of all the major soccer stadiums...he talks about?? With FT being installed!

TFCREDNWHITE
08-14-2008, 06:11 PM
FieldTurf is superior to grass pitches around the world(generally speaking)...Its not feasable to spend millions of dollars maintaining pitches like Old Trafford and ManU do! FieldTurf is awesome!

ilikemusic
08-14-2008, 06:11 PM
I clicked thinking there was some kind of exaggeration in the title. :lol:

CanuckPete
08-14-2008, 06:22 PM
http://www.fieldturf.com/soccer/highProfile.cfm

FluSH
08-14-2008, 06:28 PM
Did Jimmy just stab me in the heart? please say it ain't so...

JonO
08-14-2008, 06:30 PM
we will be the only team in MLS very soon...with FT!!

Id like to see a the list of all the major soccer stadiums...he talks about?? With FT being installed!
As far as I know the Sounders will play at Qwest which is field turf...

Flipityflu
08-14-2008, 06:33 PM
i think this just shows how much we need to increase the salary cap...:)

jloome
08-14-2008, 06:43 PM
Or, it could just be that Brennan is one of the few players not behaving like an idiot over the situation.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-14-2008, 06:48 PM
HAHAHA too true Jloome, that too is a possibility

Regardless, if he likes it and wants to get paid, go to it Jimmy.

RPB_Brantford_08
08-14-2008, 07:14 PM
Until the Argos mess is dealt with, we won;'t be seeing real grass soon, if ever at BMO. Keep out the Argos #1 then add grass to BMp should be MLSE main priotity.

Alarius
08-14-2008, 07:22 PM
The only reason I dislike FT for BMO is the fact that its keeping good players from coming over. That said its better suited for our weather, and cheaper to maintain.

flatpicker
08-14-2008, 07:26 PM
The only reason I dislike FT for BMO is the fact that its keeping good players from coming over. That said its better suited for our weather, and cheaper to maintain.

I agree with all of that...
my only problem is that considering our low salary cap, and the good financial return TFC is having, they should be kind enough to spend money on other things like real grass! If you can't spend it on the players then spend in on the facility (perhaps a roof as well), the coaching and training staff, scouts etc.

Cashcleaner
08-14-2008, 07:29 PM
Maybe... Just maybe...Brennan doesn't mind playing on it all that much.

DOMIN8R
08-14-2008, 07:34 PM
Just because someone doesn't agree with you OR they decide to endorse a product does not make them a sellout.

Kooper
08-14-2008, 07:40 PM
Did Jimmy just stab me in the heart? please say it ain't so...

Maybe... Just maybe...Brennan doesn't mind playing on it all that much.

Exactly Cashcleaner. Maybe now that Brennan has spoken up everyone on the board who has an opinion but no experience playing on it will listen to him. I played indoor on it all winter and it is fantastic. Give it a shot yourself and stop whining.

profit89
08-14-2008, 07:45 PM

Exactly.

VPjr
08-14-2008, 08:13 PM
There's nothing wrong with FT as a playing surface. In fact, compared to any grass surface I have to deal with in Mississauga, artificial grass is my preference hands down. Anyone who has played on it and is willing to be objective will agree with all of the points Jimmy made.

He did not mention the one negative about FT and all artificial surfaces, namely the lack of give, which results joint soreness that is a bit more severe than playing on grass. However, if you ask almost any youth player in Ontario I think they will tell you that they prefer FT / artificial grass surfaces over most or all of the real grass pitches they play on because the real grass pitches are not properly maintained.

That being said, TFC should still install real grass at BMO because they do have the resources to maintain a real turf pitch. If even 1 player we target says no to TFC because of the FT, that is one too many. Soccer players aren't always the wisest people on earth. If they, foolishly, think that FT is bad and don't want to play and practice on it, that's a problem. Of course, if TFC would just construct themselves a proper training facility with real grass pitches, it might solve alot of issues because the players might not have an objection to just playing games on FT while spending the rest of the week on real grass

Roogsy
08-14-2008, 08:27 PM
Since I have played on some horrible grass pitches...my bad knees still prefer the BMO Field Field Turf.

That being said...it's keeping players away and the CMNT...so for me, it's reason enough to change to grass.

v00d00daddy
08-14-2008, 09:08 PM
Wow...how quickly we forgive and forget. I played on field turf for 3 years and yes, it is much better than regular turf BUT....there is no way it compares with a good natural grass field.

Jimmy B is a CMNT member and being a member he knows full well that the CMNT does not want to make BMO their home b/c of the fieldturf. Now he goes out and endorses it? That's bullshit. He's helping to ensure that BMO never gets natural grass. That means that TFC will have a harder time attracting players, and the CMNT will not make BMO their home. That sucks.

Now a bunch of you come out and talk as if fieldturf is more palatable because Brennan endorses it. Try to be a little objective here folks. Fieldturf was shit before Jimmy B endorsed and will be shit now that he's towing the party line. I for one am surprised and upset that he would do this.

Roogsy
08-14-2008, 09:10 PM
Bringing in players and having the CMNT games here is my priority. If grass makes it happen...then ship it in! It seems to be a major roadblock so I want the turf gone.

But personally, I have never seen any problem myself with turf...other than sliding doesn't feel so good. But then again, I have never played on nice grass in European stadiums. Only on crappy patchy high school pitches with divets. So my personal perspective is a little skewed.

Detroit_TFC
08-14-2008, 10:01 PM
MLSE needs to get the team a practice facility with natural grass so the team can train with both FT and natural grass, to better represent the mix of field conditions in the league.

Kickit09
08-14-2008, 10:04 PM
http://www.fieldturf.com/soccer/highProfile.cfm

since when does camp nou have fieldturf ????? :confused:

Kevvv
08-14-2008, 10:19 PM
i think this just shows how much we need to increase the salary cap...:)

So if basketball players made more money, I wouldn't see them in any commercials?

ensco
08-14-2008, 10:26 PM
I find this painful

Not saying Jimmy B isn't entitled to make a buck, or to his opinion

Shakes McQueen
08-15-2008, 03:14 AM
Wow...how quickly we forgive and forget. I played on field turf for 3 years and yes, it is much better than regular turf BUT....there is no way it compares with a good natural grass field.

Jimmy B is a CMNT member and being a member he knows full well that the CMNT does not want to make BMO their home b/c of the fieldturf. Now he goes out and endorses it? That's bullshit. He's helping to ensure that BMO never gets natural grass. That means that TFC will have a harder time attracting players, and the CMNT will not make BMO their home. That sucks.

Now a bunch of you come out and talk as if fieldturf is more palatable because Brennan endorses it. Try to be a little objective here folks. Fieldturf was shit before Jimmy B endorsed and will be shit now that he's towing the party line. I for one am surprised and upset that he would do this.

Yeah, how dare he... uh... have a contrary opinion to people he plays with...?

I really don't think one guy who currently plays on FieldTurf praising the surface is really going to do much to stem the tidal wave of criticism and lost signings because of it. And as a result, it won't halt MLSE's eventual move to install a real grass pitch. A move they have said they are looking at making sooner or later, due to the well known problems the surface has caused for their club.

Your insistence that everyone who likes the surface is simply a pro-FT sycophant, is not based in reason.

- Scott

Flipityflu
08-15-2008, 07:26 AM
So if basketball players made more money, I wouldn't see them in any commercials?

erm, notice the smilie at the end of my comment ;)

i think he has every right to decide who ever he wants to endorse.

Fort York Redcoat
08-15-2008, 07:31 AM
This is a move to change our minds. I don't think he's going to sway other players abroad. The fact that they have a mouthpiece will slow the change to grass down now they're putting more commitment into fturf ie turning away players.

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 07:42 AM
since when does camp nou have fieldturf ????? :confused:

They do have FieldTurf, just like Manchester United does. Training grounds. I believe Celtic has one, CSKA Moscow plays on FT regularily.

It's really not THAT bad. My biggest gripe is the amount of heat it carries due to the black silica balls. On a normal day it gets warm, on a hot summer day it's stifling and the heat kills your feet and legs. It's like instant deadleg.

That said, I'd rather play on BMO's FT than probably any pitch in Ontario. I've played on 'grass' pitches that are harder than BMO's surface. I've played on 'grass' pitches that you couldn't judge the bounce if you tried to. In that respect, hell yeah I'd prefer FT.

Comparing FT to Saputo's pitch though, that's where you notice the difference. I'd love to have grass, but I don't think FT is as bad as people say.

Might affect the acquisitions less if we tried to sign, under 30 non injury prone players. ;)

v00d00daddy
08-15-2008, 10:08 AM
Yeah, how dare he... uh... have a contrary opinion to people he plays with...?

I really don't think one guy who currently plays on FieldTurf praising the surface is really going to do much to stem the tidal wave of criticism and lost signings because of it. And as a result, it won't halt MLSE's eventual move to install a real grass pitch. A move they have said they are looking at making sooner or later, due to the well known problems the surface has caused for their club.

Your insistence that everyone who likes the surface is simply a pro-FT sycophant, is not based in reason.

- Scott

I can only assume that you mis-read my post. When did I insist that everyone who likes fieldturf is a pro fieldturf sycophant? I don't even know what that means.:noidea: I simply said that the general feeling towards fieldturf on this board has always been pretty negative. Now Brennan endorses the shit and people seem to be a little more okay with it. That's bullshit.

As for MLSE's "eventual" move to install a grass pitch. Now I think you may be the one not basing your ideas in reason. How are MLSE gonna convince the people who actually control the fate of the stadium (ie the city) to install a grass pitch when all the city has to say is:

"There's nothing wrong with Fieldturf. The captain of TFC likes it so much he endorsed it"

Jimmy B just made it a little harder for BMO to get real grass which in turn causes two things to get harder.

1. Convincing players to come play here for TFC
2. Convincing the CMNT to make BMO their home.

I think those are pretty reasonable arguments, no?

Billy the kid
08-15-2008, 01:07 PM
I'm glad he is getting sponsors. The best way to get around a restrictive salary cap and sign players is by getting them sponsorship money in addition to salary. I realize we already had Brennan, but mabe more players will come here if more sponsors pick up on TFC players.

But yes, I bet he secretly hates the turf and is doing it 100% for the money. I can respect that.

Kickit09
08-15-2008, 04:59 PM
They do have FieldTurf, just like Manchester United does. Training grounds. I believe Celtic has one, CSKA Moscow plays on FT regularily.

on that website it specifically lists camp nou as the venue. for arsenal, liverpool, and other teams it says that its their training ground, but for barcelona it says camp nou. i guess its just a mistake, makes sense, i would of been shocked if camp nou had turf. thanks for clearing it up.

v00d00daddy
08-23-2008, 12:04 AM
So here we are one month later. A lot has changed with TFC. Players out and new players in. Still, nobody raises much fuss about this story.

http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS176879+23-Jul-2008+PNW20080723 (http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS176879+23-Jul-2008+PNW20080723)

http://www.fieldturf.com/soccer/specialFeatures.cfm?specialFeatureID=369&lang=en

"I am delighted to welcome the MLS and the Premiership to 'Our House,'" said Toronto FC midfielder Jim Brennan. "I have played on FieldTurf many times and can say from experience that FieldTurf surfaces allow the game to be decided based on skill and strategy, and not poor playing conditions. This is one of the main reasons why I have no doubt that BMO Field will provide the ideal venue for the All-Star game. BMO Field is an amazing soccer atmosphere and we are looking forward to a great game with West Ham."

Nobody seems to care that the captain of TFC endorsed a product that TFC are reportedly looking to get rid of. A product that we as supporters pretty much collectively hate. And now worst, a product that is likely to be ripped out and replaced using money that TFC got for Maurice Edu.

Don't get me wrong. I'm happy to (maybe) be getting rid of it for all of the same reasons as most of you. I just have one question.

If it had been Laurent Robert who had endorsed the stuff, what (some) of you guys be saying right now?

Kevvv
08-23-2008, 12:28 AM
But what are you looking for, exactly? A thread where thirty people call out Brennan for endorsing FT? Even if BMO gets grass, the team is likely to practice on turf. Or maybe they'll get grass in a training facility.

Jimmy is one voice, and his thoughts don't cancel out the very real loss of O'Brien, Huckerby (we assume), and others who may have turned TFC down because of the pitch.

v00d00daddy
08-23-2008, 12:44 AM
You make a good point but you still didn't answer the question at the end of my post.

And for the record, I think it should be a hell of a lot more than 30 people calling out Brennan for endorsing FT. The fact that there are even talks about it being replaced show that his endorsing FT was done PURELY for money. If TFC or MLSE or Mo had thoughts about really pursuing natural grass there is no way they would want somebody endorsing FT.

Why does Brennan get a pass on this? If it was Robert, or Velez or Harmse everybody would be screaming bloody murder. Because it's Jimmy B it okay? Sorry, it doesn't fly with me.

Kevvv
08-23-2008, 12:55 AM
That's a hypothetical.

Why should anyone here take offense if Robert or Guevara supported FT? If it was Harmse or Velez, I'd laugh that the company couldn't find a 'bigger' name to endorse it. Now if Cunningham had given the endorsement, he'd have been called out, but the thread would still be dead by now.

And again, it's one voice. TFC and MLSE aren't bound by the endorsement of a single player, any more than the Phoenix Coyotes feel obliged to buy Fords because Gretzky is in their commercials.

v00d00daddy
08-23-2008, 01:09 AM
That's a hypothetical.

Why should anyone here take offense if Robert or Guevara supported FT? If it was Harmse or Velez, I'd laugh that the company couldn't find a 'bigger' name to endorse it. Now if Cunningham had given the endorsement, he'd have been called out, but the thread would still be dead by now.

And again, it's one voice. TFC and MLSE aren't bound by the endorsement of a single player, any more than the Phoenix Coyotes feel obliged to buy Fords because Gretzky is in their commercials.

I see what you're saying and I agree. But with FT it's a different situation. Now if Jimmy B had signed an endorsement deal with TD Canada Trust I wouldn't give a shit because it has nothing to do with the product on the field. It would just be a different sign in the sky. He went out and endorsed the single most hated thing by all fans, now that cunny is gone:p.

I don't know. The whole situation rubs me the wrong way.

ensco
08-23-2008, 09:49 AM
I see what you're saying and I agree. But with FT it's a different situation. Now if Jimmy B had signed an endorsement deal with TD Canada Trust I wouldn't give a shit because it has nothing to do with the product on the field. It would just be a different sign in the sky. He went out and endorsed the single most hated thing by all fans, now that cunny is gone:p.

I don't know. The whole situation rubs me the wrong way.

Agree. I'm torn between the guy's right to have an opinion and make a buck, and the fact that Jimmy B is a paid shill for an unpopular product, whose presence is a critical issue for the club's supporters