PDA

View Full Version : Mo Edu as a CB

DigzTFC!
08-14-2008, 02:57 PM
Looks like Carver might start using Mo as a CB especially since Marshall has been injured.

"It's another option for me to play Mo at the back," said Carver. "People questioned me when I played him there against Vancouver, but I know he can play there. I know he's done exceptionally well in that position for them."

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20080814&content_id=180141&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp

Shaughno
08-14-2008, 03:02 PM
I wouldn't be against it. He only made one mistake in the one game he did play there, unfortunately it ended up costing us. I'd rather have Edu back there and Robbo in the midfield than vice versa.

DigzTFC!
08-14-2008, 03:10 PM
I think Mo would be good CB. He will have more time to make decisions than at CM which he's given the ball away a few too many times. I just wonder if will pick up the physicality of the position

Shaughno
08-14-2008, 03:15 PM
I don't think he would have a problem with the physical play. He's a strong kid but I noticed in midfield he tends to lose concentration. I think he would actually work quite well at CB for us as he's fairly quick too.

Shakes McQueen
08-14-2008, 03:15 PM
I just hope he doesn't try to play the position too far forward, so he can try to get the goals he seems to want so badly.

- Scott

Shaughno
08-14-2008, 03:16 PM
I think that has to do with being played in a more CM position than DM, which is why he gets caught up more often than not. From what I saw of him for the US, he played VERY well positionally at CB.

DigzTFC!
08-14-2008, 03:18 PM
I think he needs to make this transition to advance his career...just MY opinion. I understand a lot of people prefer him as a CM

jloome
08-14-2008, 03:20 PM
You're right Digz, he doesn't -- for his age-- look like he's going to have the precision passing and footwork required to move up to the kind of standard required in the top divisions. Better for him to try and be the next Rio Ferdinand.

Shaughno
08-14-2008, 03:24 PM
Yeah, I think he needs to settle on a position and work to be the best he can in that position. If the USMT is going to use him as a CB regularily, then why shouldn't we?

DigzTFC!
08-14-2008, 03:25 PM
You're right Digz, he doesn't -- for his age-- look like he's going to have the precision passing and footwork required to move up to the kind of standard required in the top divisions. Better for him to try and be the next Rio Ferdinand.

exactimente.... could be a big part of solving some issues of passing out of the back.

Broadview
08-14-2008, 03:44 PM
I wonder what Edu prefers? I love the idea of playing him back there, it seems to make a 4-4-2 more likely.

But it would suck if Carver put him back there and he got all sulky. That wouldn't be good for anyone.

DigzTFC!
08-14-2008, 03:46 PM
Hahaha, I know where you're coming from. But just to clarify, is a sulky Edu better than the one we've had all season? I think he'll adjust. Especially with the USA wanting him as a CB.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-14-2008, 03:48 PM
If its necessary otherwise i think his position as CM is fine

Shaughno
08-14-2008, 04:03 PM

Except he's been basically ineffective this year at CM.

jloome
08-14-2008, 06:46 PM

Hell no; he has the same positioning issues as Marvell, pushes forward when he should be back, hangs back when they need offensive support. His reading of the game is not great, even though his natural ability is very high.

That's why he's looked more effective at centre half -- he's only really playing in one direction, so it minimizes mistakes.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-14-2008, 06:50 PM
I think hes a little confused as to what he should be doing in his CM role as his role has changed significantly from last year with more talented players around him. I think once he sorts out what he should be doing (it might take another season or so) he will perform quite well.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-14-2008, 06:51 PM
I also dont think hes been playing as poorly as people think (granted he hasnt played as well as he can/could)

jloome
08-14-2008, 07:58 PM
Yeah, maybe. Sophmore slump, other distractions etc. But I think both Edu and Wynne are also very, very valuable trade bait, given how they're viewed in the US as the next coming of Staam and Thuram.

MartinUtd
08-14-2008, 10:46 PM
I seem to remember Edu saying he wanted to play in a more attacking role at the beginning of the year. And then you look at his website and there's that pole about how many goals he's going to score without a 1-5 option.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-14-2008, 10:49 PM
Prob is they are playing him in a defensive role.
Hes gotta perfect one before he starts with the other as of right now we need him in CM

Ossington Mental Youth
08-14-2008, 10:52 PM
still early days for both those boys and they do show promise, just have to refine their techniques and learn a few new ones. Id put money on them being as good as the US expects in a few years time, granted we dont have that long to wait but as of right now i dont see any better options to trade for.

LucaGol
08-15-2008, 11:13 AM
According the ever-reliable MLS Rumors...(well actually according the Washington Post)....Maurice Edu is going to Rangers....(aah what??)....for 5 million bucks....(ahh what x2)

I think I am going crazy....what is it exactly that people watch when they see him play.

This valuation of the player is insane, and is even more insane that a high-profile club like Rangers (who are currently having money issues)...are willing to spend their dosh on this joker.

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 11:14 AM
^^ Check the news thread. ;) There's discussion going on there already.

LucaGol
08-15-2008, 11:15 AM
^^ Check the news thread. ;) There's discussion going on there already.

Word.

boban
08-15-2008, 12:27 PM
Well looks like he out of Carvers options for the weekend.

Northern Soul
08-15-2008, 01:12 PM
According the ever-reliable MLS Rumors...(well actually according the Washington Post)....Maurice Edu is going to Rangers....(aah what??)....for 5 million bucks....(ahh what x2)

I think I am going crazy....what is it exactly that people watch when they see him play.

This valuation of the player is insane, and is even more insane that a high-profile club like Rangers (who are currently having money issues)...are willing to spend their dosh on this joker.

Raw talent/potential. You can teach positioning, situations, and even some skills. You can't teach raw talent - some players have it, some don't.

Keegan
08-15-2008, 02:14 PM
Raw talent/potential. You can teach positioning, situations, and even some skills. You can't teach raw talent - some players have it, some don't.

Mo doesn't have it either. Can't pass, first touch is brutal, can't tackle

Northern Soul
08-15-2008, 02:34 PM
Mo doesn't have it either. Can't pass, first touch is brutal, can't tackle

All skills that can be taught. Mo has raw talent and athleticism.

LucaGol
08-15-2008, 02:39 PM
All skills that can be taught. Mo has raw talent and athleticism.

I don't think you can teach someone how to make a first touch, how to control balls, how to make deft passes, to have instinct....

Athleticism is one thing...but inate ability is quite another.

Maurice Edu's best hope right now is to stick to his development as a centre back.

Seriously.

Northern Soul
08-15-2008, 02:41 PM
I don't think you can teach someone how to make a first touch, how to control balls, how to make deft passes, to have instinct....

Maurice Edu's best hope right now is to stick to his development as a centre back.

Seriously.

You can't teach someone how to control balls and pass? Well, all of those drills and soccer camps when I was younger were a waste of time! That's ridiculous.

king10
08-15-2008, 02:48 PM

Seriously.

you can definately teach someone how to take a first touch and control balls and make passes... to have instinct fair enough thats not teachable but the rest are

LucaGol
08-15-2008, 02:53 PM
you can definately teach someone how to take a first touch and control balls and make passes... to have instinct fair enough thats not teachable but the rest are

Im going to have to respectfully disagree.

Passing from A to B in an open field with no one around is one thing....in game passing where the game is at 360 degrees is quite another.

king10
08-15-2008, 03:22 PM
Im going to have to respectfully disagree.

Passing from A to B in an open field with no one around is one thing....in game passing where the game is at 360 degrees is quite another.

i agree with you there... making pin point passes and defence cutting through balls us sometihng you cannot teach but simple passing and first touch is something you can