PDA

View Full Version : Galaxy looking to deal Ruiz to make room for Lewis

DigzTFC!
08-14-2008, 12:24 PM
http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2008/08/galaxy-looking.html#more

The Los Angeles Galaxy needs money. No, not actual cash (they have sold enough David Beckham jerseys not to need actual cash). What LA needs is allocation money and salary cap space (despite what the Bottomless Galaxy Salary Cap jokes suggest).

The Galaxy is set to acquire U.S. national team defender Eddie Lewis but must first make room for him on the cap and LA is trying a variety of solutions, including trying to trade Carlos Ruiz, in order to make that salary cap space available.

So where could Ruiz wind up? Try Toronto FC, which could certainly use the services of 'El Pescadito'. Toronto has a bunch of allocation money from the myriad of trades it has made this season and could give LA the cap relief it needs to sign Lewis.

The Galaxy had been hoping to make a deal before tonight's crucial match against Chivas USA so Lewis could play in the match, but the clock is tocking on that window.

What do you think about the Galaxy putting Ruiz on the block again? Do you like the addition of Lewis on the Galaxy?

Fort York Redcoat
08-14-2008, 12:30 PM
What can Ruiz do for us and for how much? I didn't know there was a third player on LA.

It's all about how much they want for him. They shouldn't be dealing from a firm postion. Unless the league interferes. Again.

S_D
08-14-2008, 12:39 PM
no way. Let Ruiz rot in L.A. and let them suffer from salary cap woes :) At 600K he is the most expensive waste of a roster spot in the MLS now that Reyna has retired.

gtaguy
08-14-2008, 01:26 PM
I'll take him for peanuts but 600k fear that...

you know L.A. is looking for the most allocation money possible..
Toronto is sitting pretty holding all the cards..
Won't be surprised if Garber passes a new rule to help out L.A ....

Damien
08-14-2008, 01:30 PM
I'm willing to bet Mo has contacted LA about Ruiz... but i'm also betting Mo only takes him if LA picks up part of his salary or trades allocation money with him.

DigzTFC!
08-14-2008, 01:40 PM
I'm willing to bet Mo has contacted LA about Ruiz... but i'm also betting Mo only takes him if LA picks up part of his salary or trades allocation money with him.

I don't think that's true at all. The reason for trading him is to clear cap space and maybe get allocation money to afford Eddie Lewis. The most likely scenario is trading for Ruiz in allocation or draft picks or conditional draft picks.

Then again if we can sign a CB, maybe we can trade a roster player like Velez or something.

bangersandmash
08-14-2008, 01:43 PM
its weird that LA is looking at bringing in a midfielder when their problems can all be traced to the back four.

Roogsy
08-14-2008, 01:46 PM
its weird that LA is looking at bringing in a midfielder when their problems can all be traced to the back four.

It would appear that LA subscribes to the theory, "Go Big or Go Home!".

They are planning on scoring the SHIT out of the league this year and hope to outscore their opponents in each game. Screw defence...they are the Pheonix Suns of the MLS.

And we all know how many championships the Suns have...

DigzTFC!
08-14-2008, 01:47 PM
Apparently, Eddie Lewis is similar to Jim Brennan as he can play LM & LB. It will be interesting to see how it plays out for Jazic who has the same characteristics too.

Damien
08-14-2008, 01:49 PM
I don't think that's true at all. The reason for trading him is to clear cap space and maybe get allocation money to afford Eddie Lewis. The most likely scenario is trading for Ruiz in allocation or draft picks or conditional draft picks.

Then again if we can sign a CB, maybe we can trade a roster player like Velez or something.

True but who wants to pick up his entire salary? If they still take on part of his salary then they're still clearing space from the rest of his salary.

Billy the kid
08-14-2008, 01:54 PM
TFC should take him only if L.A. will keep a significant portion of his salary on their books.

DigzTFC!
08-14-2008, 01:55 PM
Only 300K or the 600K goes toward the salary cap. You could be right that that's part of the deal, but I think we would eat most of that salary. We just cleared about 150K in Cunny salary (and paid 100K of the rest). So potentially it would be trading Cunny for Ruiz plus 150K more in salary. Makes it a little bit better to swallow.

LA is desperate for CB (affordable ones no less) and I think we can use Velez as trade bait in this situation. Trade Ruiz for Velez and conditional draft picks. In all the hit against the cap using the Cunny for Ruiz scenario leaves us paying 80K more for Ruiz for Cunny and Velez.

This is all contingent on other moves mind you

Roogsy
08-14-2008, 01:58 PM
So here is the REAL question...being that we are 1 day away from the International Trade deadline (the MLS trade deadline is Sept 15 I believe).

If Mo signs NOBODY else this year...would you take Ruiz?

Ossington Mental Youth
08-14-2008, 01:59 PM
Only if it was until the end of the season.

invictusTFC
08-14-2008, 02:00 PM
LA is desperate for CB (affordable ones no less) and I think we can use Velez as trade bait in this situation.

Unless Mo has another CB in his sights, we can't afford to trade Velez or any other defender for that matter. We're kinda thin ourselves...

Bobo
08-14-2008, 02:01 PM
LA is desperate for CB (affordable ones no less) and I think we can use Velez as trade bait in this situation. Trade Ruiz for Velez and conditional draft picks. In all the hit against the cap using the Cunny for Ruiz scenario leaves us paying 80K more for Ruiz for Cunny and Velez.

This is all contingent on other moves mind you

Why would we send out another defender? Let LA scramble for CBs....

DigzTFC!
08-14-2008, 02:02 PM
Unless Mo has another CB in his sights, we can't afford to trade Velez or any other defender for that matter. We're kinda thin ourselves...

I agree wholeheartedly with you. This would be contingent on other moves. Like bringing in Phillipe Christinval.

I'm also thinking the a 28 year old back like Velez is not going to improve that much....so letting a guy like Julius James get more playing time would be ideal going forward. But with injuries that's already happening.

Roogsy
08-14-2008, 02:02 PM
Who'd a thunk Tebily leaving would cause such a hole? A guy who barely played any minutes for us...but I think we were all reassured having him on the bench.

Who do we have now....a lot of inexperience.

Beach_Red
08-14-2008, 02:15 PM
Who'd a thunk Tebily leaving would cause such a hole? A guy who barely played any minutes for us...but I think we were all reassured having him on the bench.

Who do we have now....a lot of inexperience.

And a lot of late game goals let in....

Lucky Strike
08-14-2008, 02:18 PM
Yeah, I was really psyched on getting Tebily even though it was a low key deal. We miss him already.

DigzTFC!
08-14-2008, 02:19 PM
Well our defensive roster won't be so bad now that Wynne has returned and also the emergence of Nana. If we sign another quality CB, I think we can afford to use Velez as trade bait and to be honest I think LA would be the only team interested due to their salary cap position.

S_D
08-14-2008, 02:25 PM
..... We just cleared about 150K in Cunny salary (and paid 100K of the rest). So potentially it would be trading Cunny for Ruiz plus 150K more in salary. Makes it a little bit better to swallow........

According to news out of Dallas as sad as this sounds...we are paying part of Cunny's remaining salary.

Stryker
08-14-2008, 02:29 PM
I think we can afford to use Velez as trade bait

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Oh man that's a good one. Oh wait... were you serious?

DigzTFC!
08-14-2008, 02:34 PM
According to news out of Dallas as sad as this sounds...we are paying part of Cunny's remaining salary.

Cunny's salary is 250K and we're paying 100K (close to three figures by reports), hence clearing 150K off the books.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Oh man that's a good one. Oh wait... were you serious?

LA needs CB desperately and have cap issues. Velez is a CB at 70K. They want to trade Ruiz to us and TFC might not want to part with major allocation or 1st round draft picks in order to pick up a guy who has a lot of question marks. LA doesn't have a lot of leverage in the deal as they've signed Lewis already (the reason for the move) so trading for a young CB at 70K looks good on them and clears cap space.

But if you want to assess him on his talent alone....then yes without any thought it doesn't make sense to trade Ruiz for Velez

Shaughno
08-14-2008, 02:36 PM
Cunny's salary is 250K and we're paying 100K (close to three figures by reports), hence clearing 150K off the books.

LA needs CB desperately and have cap issues. Velez is a CB at 70K. They want to trade Ruiz to us and TFC might not want to part with major allocation or 1st round draft picks in order to pick up a guy who has a lot of question marks. LA doesn't have a lot of leverage in the deal as they've signed Lewis already (the reason for the move) so trading for a young CB at 70K looks good on them and clears cap space.

But if you want to assess him on his talent alone....then yes without any thought it doesn't make sense to trade Ruiz for Velez

Except $150k is already cleared because the season is halfway through no? So we would just be covering the remainder of his salary?

Stryker
08-14-2008, 02:38 PM
Yeah that all makes sense. I just never thought I'd hear Velez associated with the term "trade bait". Unless of course some GTA rec league had somehow come into alot of money.

DigzTFC!
08-14-2008, 02:40 PM
I honestly don't know how it works. It could be a figure that is calculated against the cap and MLS pays the salaries so there isn't a situation where one team would have to pay another team salary already given to the player.

But the DP situation says its only 200K against the cap if you sign them midway. So maybe it is 150K, but that may just apply to players coming into the league, not existing players. I don't know

Ossington Mental Youth
08-14-2008, 02:43 PM
Dont think we are going to see Velez as trade bait boys

DigzTFC!
08-14-2008, 02:46 PM
Probably not but if we can sign Christinval then we could. Fixes three problems in getting him as a liability off the team, getting James more development time, and helps bring in Ruiz without using important assets. Ah well, just thinking out loud.

graeme117
08-14-2008, 02:47 PM
i can't stand the guy, and the amount of money we'd be paying the guy, who is out of form, is a bit too much... okay a lot too much like 300k too much.

but i could see him scoring here... but as already said we need backs, fast

Shaughno
08-14-2008, 02:50 PM
i can't stand the guy, and the amount of money we'd be paying the guy, who is out of form, is a bit too much... okay a lot too much like 300k too much.

but i could see him scoring here... but as already said we need backs, fast

We need goals or say goodbye to any playoff hopes. Backs are great... but if you can't score goals it doesn't matter how many you keep out of your net.

arsenal
08-14-2008, 03:12 PM

Actually per Ives on Cunny ....

"Toronto FC will pay half of the remaining salary on forward Jeff Cunningham's contract. Cunningham was traded by TFC to FC Dallas on Friday. Unloading Cunningham will save Toronto more than $50,000 against the salary cap, a total that could help the team in its quest to add a new forward."

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2008/08/saturday-tick-1.html#more

Shaughno
08-14-2008, 03:13 PM
So I was right then. We covered $150k of his salary up until the trade, then split the remaining $100k between the two teams.

DigzTFC!
08-14-2008, 03:16 PM
Yup that sounds right....so what about 150K for Ruiz now?

Shaughno
08-14-2008, 03:17 PM
Well if you look at it as, $100k for the rest of the season? Why the fuck not? Unless Mo has something big planned within the next 24 hours, I can't see him signing a better player within the league.

DigzTFC!
08-14-2008, 03:21 PM
So wait you got 100K by the 150K for half a season of Ruiz's pay less 50K saved against Cunningham's salary right?

Shaughno
08-14-2008, 03:22 PM
Yup.

DigzTFC!
08-14-2008, 03:34 PM
Pull the trigger...if we can sell him abroad when things go sour

CretanBull
08-14-2008, 04:32 PM
Forget Ruiz...let's try to get Eddie Lewis!

Draracle
08-14-2008, 05:32 PM
I'll take anyone who gets us points.