PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Thursday , Aug.14

denime
08-14-2008, 06:04 AM
All media are talking about CMNT game on Aug.20th,only one TFC article.:canada:

Canada has players to end 22-year drought, coach says

Squad for Wednesday's World Cup qualifying game at BMO Field has `quality' and `experience'
Kevin McGran

It's been 22 years and counting since the Canadian men's soccer team last appeared at the World Cup.
If we're to believe coach Dale Mitchell, the squad he's assembled for next week's qualifier against Jamaica has what it takes to end the drought.
"This squad we have selected has a lot of quality and they also have a lot of experience," Mitchell said yesterday in a conference call. "Those are the two things I've been looking for."
Mitchell announced yesterday 18 members of the squad for Wednesday's game at BMO Field, the first of six games in their CONCACAF group in Stage III of qualifying.
Among the notable additions are three players who were unavailable for Stage II against St. Vincent and the Grenadines: Iain Hume of Brampton; Daniel Imhof of Smithers, B.C.; and Kevin McKenna of Calgary.
Paul Stalteri of Brampton will again captain the squad. Mitchell will decide, likely Tuesday, on whether Toronto FC's Greg Sutton of Hamilton or Paul Onstad of Vancouver will tend goal.
Also back is striker Ali Gerber of Montreal, tied for second in the group with four goals after two matches.
With nine goals in his international career, Gerba is now tied with teammates McKenna and Tomasz Radzinski for eighth on the all-time Canadian list.
"It's a good group of players," said Mitchell. "They've shown that over the last couple of years. They've been growing together. The core group of players are at a good age. We have a lot of guys in the 25-to-32 age group."

Read more (http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/478200)

Home games key to Canada's World Cup hopes
NEIL DAVIDSON

The latest leg of Canada's 22-year journey to find its way back to the World Cup of soccer kicks off in Toronto next week, with back-to-back home games a possible key to success this time around.
First up is Jamaica, next Wednesday at BMO Field in Toronto, with Honduras visiting Saputo Stadium in Montreal on Sept. 6.
Poor play at home cost the Canadian men dearly in their qualifying run for the 2006 tournament in Germany. Canada opened group play in 2004 with a 2-0 loss to Guatemala in Burnaby, B.C., before tying Honduras 1-1 in Edmonton and losing 3-1 to Costa Rica in Burnaby. The Canadians managed just one point out of nine at home and finished last in their qualifying group with a 1-3-2 record.
In its bid to make the 2002 finals in Japan and South Korea, Canada opened the same stage in 2000 with a 2-0 loss to Trinidad and Tobago in Edmonton before beating Panama 1-0 in Winnipeg (after Canada had already been ousted from contention) and tying Mexico 0-0 in Toronto for four points out of a possible nine at home. The Canadians finished third in the group with a 1-3-2 record, scoring just one goal in six matches.

read more (http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080813.wspt-wccanada13/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home)

Edu, Wynne heading home

Reds duo could return for match against New York

Mo Edu and Marvell Wynne could be back with Toronto FC in time for Sunday's game at the New York Red Bulls. They are now returning from the Olympics in China after the United States men's Olympic Team failed to progress out of the group stage. The U.S. lost 2-1 to Nigeria in their final group game on Wednesday at the Beijing Worker's Stadium, and Toronto FC coach John Carver now hopes to have Edu and Wynne available for Sunday. "Obviously it is disappointing for them that the U.S. have been knocked out, but it's great for us, especially with a home run coming up," said Carver. "We've now got almost a healthy roster and hopefully with new additions we will be even stronger."

read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080813&content_id=179864&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

Canada set for next step in World Cup qualifying
By MIKE GANTER (mike.ganter@sunmedia.ca), SUN MEDIA

Dale Mitchell was a forward on Tony Waiters' 1986 club, the most recent time a Canadian men's soccer team qualified for a World Cup.
Twenty-two years later, Mitchell is the man who will coach the squad that hopes to bring that overdue absence from the world's biggest soccer stage to an end.
Canada takes the next step toward that goal on Wednesday at BMO Field when it will play host to Jamaica in the first of six games of third-round qualifying for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.
Canada will have to finish first or second in the group that includes world No. 32 Mexico and No. 61 Honduras to qualify for the fourth and final round of qualifying. Canada is ranked 79th in the world while Jamaica is No. 108.
Mitchell announced his lineup for this round yesterday and is going with experience and quality.
"Every player we asked for is coming in," Mitchell said.
Unfortunately, and this is par for the course when it comes to the national team, getting the players back home and prepared to play is never an easy task. With a variety of European league players and Major League Soccer types, Mitchell expects to get in only one full practice with his entire team before Wednesday's game.

More than 18,500 tickets have been sold for Wednesday's game at BMO Field.

read more (http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/OtherSports/2008/08/14/6444801-sun.html)

Men's team readies for next World Cup qualifier
Coach says he's hardly taking Jamaica lightly

It seems strange to hear a Canadian men's soccer coach talk about not taking an opponent lightly, but that was the position Dale Mitchell found himself in during a conference call on Wednesday.
The occasion was the announcement of Canada's roster in advance of its opening game in the next round of CONCACAF qualifying for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.
Next Wednesday in Toronto, the Canadians face Jamaica, a team that used to be ranked far above them by FIFA but has fallen on hard times and is now 108th while Mitchell's club is ranked 79th.
"Anyone that knows CONCACAF well will tell you there are four good teams in our group and I don't consider Jamaica to be any less difficult of an opponent than the other ones we're going to face," said Mitchell, whose club is also up against No. 61 Honduras and heavy favourite No. 32 Mexico.
"[The Jamaicans] have quality in their team."

read more (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2008/08/13/worldcup-canada.html)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/SUNshineGirl/home.html)

rocker
08-14-2008, 07:36 AM
i didn't follow canada soccer qualifying much before.. i'm shocked they only got 4 points of 9 at home in the WCQ before. or 1 of 9 before that.. shit!

Nuvinho
08-14-2008, 08:11 AM
hence they should play at BMO, it will be an advantage, they will get 7 out of 9 points if they play at BMO Field...hahaha!!!

Fort York Redcoat
08-14-2008, 08:14 AM
I'm curious to know why they started the deluge of Canada coverage today?

rocker
08-14-2008, 08:25 AM
it was just because Mitchell had a tele-conference to announce the players on the team.

CanuckPete
08-14-2008, 08:33 AM
Because the conference call with Mitchell was yesterday?

SilverSamurai
08-14-2008, 08:37 AM
I'm curious to know why they started the deluge of Canada coverage today?
Doesn't matter! It's about time!
Game is next week! WHOO!!!!:canada:

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-14-2008, 08:39 AM
i didn't follow canada soccer qualifying much before.. i'm shocked they only got 4 points of 9 at home in the WCQ before. or 1 of 9 before that.. shit!
I've been following since around 2000 and it's just been pretty sad, managers picked the wrong players, home games were essentially away games because no Canadian fans turned up, the national team got no support from anyone, least of all the CSA. Let's hope that's a trend that changes, starting on the 20th.

RealG-TFC
08-14-2008, 09:24 AM
I've been following since around 2000 and it's just been pretty sad, managers picked the wrong players, home games were essentially away games because no Canadian fans turned up, the national team got no support from anyone, least of all the CSA. Let's hope that's a trend that changes, starting on the 20th.

I think it already did in MTL.

invictusTFC
08-14-2008, 09:28 AM

IMO they got robbed by some pretty incompetent officiating in their last go around. I don't want to say that the refereeing was biased but we got screwed over hard. Guevara and Honduras certainly benefited from that same officiating...

Stryker
08-14-2008, 09:37 AM
Anyone wanna coach the Canadian mens national teams?
Couldn't do much worse than the clowns who have been doing it the last 20 years right?

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/notice/jobs.asp?sub2=9

koryo
08-14-2008, 09:44 AM
Among the notable additions are three players who were unavailable for Stage II against St. Vincent and the Grenadines: Iain Hume of Brampton; Daniel Imhof of Smithers, B.C.; and Kevin McKenna of Calgary.
Paul Stalteri of Brampton will again captain the squad. Mitchell will decide, likely Tuesday, on whether Toronto FC's Greg Sutton of Hamilton or Paul Onstad of Vancouver will tend goal.
Also back is striker Ali Gerber of Montreal, tied for second in the group with four goals after two matches.
With nine goals in his international career, Gerba is now tied with teammates McKenna and Tomasz Radzinski for eighth on the all-time Canadian list.
"It's a good group of players," said Mitchell. "They've shown that over the last couple of years. They've been growing together. The core group of players are at a good age. We have a lot of guys in the 25-to-32 age group."

Ali Gerber, Paul Onstad? Never heard of them.

denime
08-14-2008, 12:03 PM
FieldTurf Adds Toronto FC Captain and MLS All-Star Jim Brennan to Its Lineup

MONTREAL - Toronto FC Captain and MLS All-Star Jim Brennan has joined the FieldTurf team in order to help grow the game of soccer in Canada. FieldTurf is a product that was built by athletes for athletes. Brennan's extensive international experience and MLS All-Star status will help him in his role with FieldTurf, as the world's most trusted turf system has had such a big impact on growing the game of soccer in North America.

Jim Brennan's accomplishments throughout the annals of soccer are nothing short of impressive. He is one of only a handful of Canadian-born players to have ever played in England's Premiership and has been a member of the Canadian national team since 1999. He has been capped 43 times playing for Canada and is currently a key member of Canada's national team in the midst of qualifying play for the FIFA World Cup South Africa 2010, with the opening game of the semi-final round in Caribbean/North/Central America set for the FieldTurf surface at Toronto's BMO field on August 20, 2008.

http://www.exchangemagazine.com/morningpost/2008/week33/Thursday/081405.html

Toronto_Bhoy
08-14-2008, 12:20 PM
Wow…don't count on Jimmy B pushing for real grass at BMO…

"It is exciting and fitting for me to join FieldTurf because I play on the product at BMO Field and I have come to understand how consistent and grass-like this pitch performs everyday," said Brennan. "FieldTurf is leaps and bounds ahead of any other turf product I have ever played on. I'm glad to see FieldTurf being installed in more and more major soccer stadiums because it eliminates poor playing conditions, inconsistent field spots, and unpredictable bounces. The future outlook for FieldTurf is very bright given the product's performance, built-in durability features, and success on the international stage.

Fort York Redcoat
08-14-2008, 12:27 PM
Who GOT to you Jimmy!!! He's fighting an uphill battle.

boban
08-14-2008, 12:45 PM
Who GOT to you Jimmy!!! He's fighting an uphill battle.
He's a rented whore.
Nobody cares about what he thinks about grass/fieldturf in the grand scheme of things anyway.

shwade
08-14-2008, 12:56 PM
I just hope a lot of the 18500 tickets sold are to Canadian supporters

Stryker
08-14-2008, 12:59 PM
I'm so disappointed I don't even have the words.
Whats the going rate for a soul these days anyway Jimmy boy?

Roogsy
08-14-2008, 01:00 PM

:rofl:

You know? I was reading through that and something struck me as odd but I couldn't pick up what it was!

bangersandmash
08-14-2008, 01:00 PM
Heeeeeeeey, Jimmy Brennan, I wanna know-oh-oh how you can flog that turf!

TicTacTabarnack
08-14-2008, 01:02 PM

Onstad played in the MLS All-Star game this year with Jimmy and DeRo.

Gerber ... Muah ... Not that much of a fan.

MFG1
08-14-2008, 07:48 PM
So The night before the international transfer windows closure, who did Mo pick up or even come close to in the desparate last minutes, to help make our team a wee bit more stable???//

http://www.nooobody.com/images/home/solidgoldpromise.jpg

thats right!!!! NOOOOOOOBODY!!!!!!!!

Thanks Mo, thanks for just being average