PDA

View Full Version : Mo's stockpiling...

gtaguy
08-13-2008, 05:52 PM
Anyone have an idea as to what cards MO JO holds right now on trades , allocation money, DP slots and first round draft picks ..(this mls is so goddamn confusing)

I think hes got big plans for our REDS but (might not execute anything till next season)..

Rawkus_420
08-14-2008, 07:54 AM
For what we have in our pockets , picks, money, slots, all that jazz, I think MO has done well. Based on what we have, if I was the owner, I would basically give Mo two more years and see how he uses everything that he's got, including a DP. If the team improved alot I would offer him a new contract, if we puttered around the way we are now, I would send him packing. I think he will improve the team, you gotta have faith in Mo's draft, and hopefully something nice happens for the DP spot next year.

gtaguy
08-14-2008, 08:37 AM
I totally have faith in him .. Im just wondering what cards hes holding and for what reason is he waiting till next year to execute a deal . We need additions to strengthen us alittle more for the push to the playoffs THIS YEAR...

flatpicker
08-14-2008, 08:39 AM
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k139/brushstroke-man/supermo.jpg

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-14-2008, 08:42 AM
He's done a good job getting us allocation money and lord knows we have enough draft picks... And we've signed some pretty good developmental players, like Hemming and Rosenlund. All we REALLY need right now is some more depth in the midfield and in defence, as well as our world class striker, and we'll be laughing.

Don Julio
08-14-2008, 08:52 AM
It seems to me he has acquired a lot of allocation money for this year.. If he doesn't find a way to use it then it's completely wasted.

Wooster_TFC
08-14-2008, 09:06 AM
It seems to me he has acquired a lot of allocation money for this year.. If he doesn't find a way to use it then it's completely wasted.

That's the way I understood it. The only thing that is beneficial towards next year is the picks.

invictusTFC
08-14-2008, 09:22 AM
He's done a good job getting us allocation money and lord knows we have enough draft picks... And we've signed some pretty good developmental players, like Hemming and Rosenlund. All we REALLY need right now is some more depth in the midfield and in defence, as well as our world class striker, and we'll be laughing.

Love the positive attitude but all that allocation money will be rendered useless if he doesn't use it this season. I like what Mo has done this season but my faith in his ability to sign a quality forward will run out tomorrow when the transfer deadline closes.

I know he can still sign free agents and make trades after the deadline but you have to wonder about the quality of a player who is still a free agent at that point (why haven't any other club in the world picked him up?) Furthermore, quality forwards are a commodity that is very hard to come by in this league. No club will be willing to trade away a proven striker unless they have some baggage (i.e. Cunningham and Ruiz)

S_D
08-14-2008, 09:33 AM
fyi as far as I know allocation money can be used next season, unused cap space can't.

DigzTFC!
08-14-2008, 09:37 AM
Are you sure? If that's the case, I understand Mo's reasoning of not signing players at will...however it is Thursday and you'd have to think that he's looking for players within the league now

Cashcleaner
08-14-2008, 09:39 AM
It's all about 2009. I don't like to make such predictions, but expect to see a real high-profile DP signed and brought over for next April. By that time we'll have the allocation money in place and the neccesary supporting players to make that plan work. It's also not normally the sort of thing I like to see s a supporter (I hate the talk of "next year" when discussing the issues we have currently), but I'm starting to get the feel of a plan that will see some major improvements next season.

S_D
08-14-2008, 09:43 AM
Are you sure? If that's the case, I understand Mo's reasoning of not signing players at will...however it is Thursday and you'd have to think that he's looking for players within the league now

Look at all of the cash NYRB made on altidore. They still haven't spent it all.

As for players within the league, there is that 1 player that was mentioned in the deleted/hidden thread, but that may not come about until next week if at all.

Beach_Red
08-14-2008, 09:47 AM
Yes, I hate all the talk of "next year." I also hate the talk about a "rebuilding year." Good teams constantly rebuild, they don't allow things to fall apart that much.

It's only slightly understandable now because this is only the team's second year - it's like joining a game already in progress, so many players already under contracts, other teams have had years to develop systems and chemistry, etc., but this will certainly be the last year we hear about "next year." We'll be all caught up by the end of this year.

invictusTFC
08-14-2008, 09:48 AM

As for players within the league, there is that 1 player that was mentioned in the deleted/hidden thread, but that may not come about until next week if at all.

Who's this player dammit? lol

brad
08-14-2008, 09:49 AM
Yes, I hate all the talk of "next year." I also hate the talk about a "rebuilding year." Good teams constantly rebuild, they don't allow things to fall apart that much.

We aren't rebuilding. We are building. Big difference.

Beach_Red
08-14-2008, 09:51 AM

Yes, I agree. I was just thinking of other lines I hate from sports managements:)

koryo
08-14-2008, 09:51 AM
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k139/brushstroke-man/supermo.jpg

you got the turf right, I'll give you that.

flatpicker
08-14-2008, 09:53 AM
^ haha... might as well be eh?
but since that's the beer garden I will allow it.

Rawkus_420
08-14-2008, 09:56 AM

thats right..our best 11 this year would crush our best 11 from last year I would like to think so anyways...so that in itself is a good sign, we have to wait next year for draft picks, we've been told a DP is coming next year...perhaps Mo will spend the allocation money this year, but if its not worth it and we still have the allocation money next year , than whats the point of wasting it, when we have a team that we know can compete and make the playoffs already when we're playing well. Im excited about the playoff run, nto excitd about ruiz, if thats our only option I say keep the team the way it is and wait till next year. Barret and dichio up front against the shiite bulls is what I want to see!

Wooster_TFC
08-14-2008, 10:00 AM

From my understanding that's entirely different. Although you may be on to something. It may very well be that the allocation money assigned for finishing last DOES expire at the end of the year, but the stuff you get in trades doesn't.

Stupid MLS rules not being transparent :P

giambac
08-14-2008, 10:03 AM
fyi as far as I know allocation money can be used next season, unused cap space can't.

Okay can someone explain

1) How many draft picks we have next year (1st round)
2) How mauch allocation money do we have this year. What exactly does allocation money allow you to do? What can it be used for? If not used can it be carried forward or is it gone? What is the differenc ebetween allocation oney and cap space?

There is alot of confusion.

giambac
08-14-2008, 10:07 AM
It's all about 2009. I don't like to make such predictions, but expect to see a real high-profile DP signed and brought over for next April. By that time we'll have the allocation money in place and the neccesary supporting players to make that plan work. It's also not normally the sort of thing I like to see s a supporter (I hate the talk of "next year" when discussing the issues we have currently), but I'm starting to get the feel of a plan that will see some major improvements next season.

That's what they were saying last year (2007), wait ti next year 2008.

Now this year 2008 they are saying wait until next year 2009 to sign a DP.

What will it be next year - wait untril 2010.

I don't buy it.

You hav ethe money, you hav ethe cap sapce, your fighting for a playoff spot, you've known all year what your needs are so waht are they waiting for ?

Fort York Redcoat
08-14-2008, 10:07 AM
I'm sure someone is about to explain this better but cap space is what you can use in a year. Allocation money you have-but can only use to the amount of the cap- unless we're talking DP.

Fort York Redcoat
08-14-2008, 10:10 AM
Deals are made with money but unlimited offers lead to an unbalanced team like LA. Plus, I think most of us suspect that other variables hurt the deals we've tried to make. location, grass...

bangersandmash
08-14-2008, 10:25 AM
Most of what Mo has -- allocation, cap space, picks, DP slot -- is only useful for making deals within the MLS or signing players who are out of contract.

Play-off bound teams may be interested in Mo's draft picks, but they're not going to let go of marquee players before the end of the year.

By Sept. 15 you could see clubs without a hope of play-off action starting to float their stars in exchange for a couple of 1st round draft picks. If my theory has any grounding in reality that could put a player like Kljiesten, Gomez and Casey (sp) in play for a swoop...

trane
08-14-2008, 10:25 AM
you got the turf right, I'll give you that.

that is exactly what my first thought was.

invictusTFC
08-14-2008, 10:36 AM
thats right..our best 11 this year would crush our best 11 from last year I would like to think so anyways...

On paper yes... but IMO at least, last years side played harder and gave more of an effort consistently than this years side. They didn't have as much talent, they were tactically futile, but they seemed to work harder especially at home.
While this years team is much more talented all around, they haven't played with much passion and urgency especially over the past couple of months. This past weekends game against Colorado was the first game in a long while that they showed some character and spirit.

rocker
08-14-2008, 10:43 AM
i dunno about last year's team playing harder and being more consistent (unless you mean consistently bad!).

invictusTFC
08-14-2008, 10:48 AM
i dunno about last year's team playing harder and being more consistent (unless you mean consistently bad!).

I meant that they played harder more consistently... they got the results that they got because they had less talent. Now if this years side would only give that kind of effort game in and game out, we'd probably be sitting higher up in the standings, and we'd definitely be representing Canada in the CCL.

giambac
08-14-2008, 11:31 AM
I meant that they played harder more consistently... they got the results that they got because they had less talent. Now if this years side would only give that kind of effort game in and game out, we'd probably be sitting higher up in the standings, and we'd definitely be representing Canada in the CCL.

This goes to my belief that Mo got more out of players tahn Carver is getting this year.

Last year we didn't have as good talent but Mo had them playing harder. This year Mo has brought in better talent but the coaching isn't driving the players as much.

I agree if the palyers we have this year played with the grit/dedication of last years team then we we would be higher in the standings.

This year's team should be IMO a 4th-5th-6th place team in the overall standings.

OneLoveOneEric
08-14-2008, 11:34 AM
I don't know what team you guys watched last year, but they certainly didn't play any harder than this year. They jogged around for the last 30 minutes just like they do now. I wish we had the old threads, because I'm pretty sure this was a constant complaint.
This team suffers badly from Blue Jays syndrome -- people way over estimated the quality of the team. We knew what we were getting with Robert, now we call him lazy? no shit. Ditto on down the line....

Wooster_TFC
08-14-2008, 11:41 AM
Okay can someone explain

1) How many draft picks we have next year (1st round)
2) How mauch allocation money do we have this year. What exactly does allocation money allow you to do? What can it be used for? If not used can it be carried forward or is it gone? What is the differenc ebetween allocation oney and cap space?

There is alot of confusion.

3 first round picks

You can only have salaries up to the cap on your team (pro-rated). Allocation money allows you to "remove" some salary from the cap (which is why you see players having two salaries. I believe the allocation has to be used when you first sign the player in order for the salary to come off the cap, and I also believe that at least some of it expires at the end of the year.

I KNOW that the money for a transfer outside of the league that can be used for allocation does NOT expire, or so I thought anyways.

Fort York Redcoat
08-14-2008, 11:41 AM
Along the same lines, anybody see a team running away with the league from game 1 and stay tops? This league has two types in it. The crap and the great/good that have inconsistent stretches. It's the league we're in.

***Granted we should not stop expecting to strive to be the best

DigzTFC!
08-14-2008, 11:58 AM
Some clarification:

Marquee players are usually not traded for just draft picks (Nick Garcia was traded for SJ 1st overall pick; he's an alright defenseman). It usually requires a combination of roster players, draft picks and allocation.

In a lot of ways, the draft is only as good as the GA players in it. Very few players out of university make a impact on the starting rosters. It happens but the percentage is extremely low of players that are drafted. Having 3 picks in the first round will give us a very good chance of landing at least one impact player if not more based on how Mo has drafted in the past and based on 1st round results from previous years. Since Mo has also stockpiled international spots it will give us flexibility to draft non-senior roster players to development contracts that are foreign...GA guys. Look for a trade involving one 1st round draft pick for a roster player in the months to come or O'Brian White and a couple GA players in the draft. This year's draft is suppose to be deep too.

Allocation money is probably the biggest asset we have in terms of flexibility. It allows us to have access to a larger player pool based on higher salary demands. It hasn't worked out for us quite yet, but sometimes not all the pieces of the puzzle are available at one point in time. Also, it gives us significant leverage in trades within the league.

More forward thinking:

Scoring is an issue, but look at the potential forward roster for next year
Chad Barret (23 yrs; 60K), Ibbe (17 yrs; GA), O'Brian White (22 yrs; 60k "usual 1st round salary'), Dichio (33 yrs; 150k), DP (??; 350k)

That is a scary looking rotation for forwards don't you think?

invictusTFC
08-14-2008, 12:04 PM
This goes to my belief that Mo got more out of players tahn Carver is getting this year.

Last year we didn't have as good talent but Mo had them playing harder. This year Mo has brought in better talent but the coaching isn't driving the players as much.

I agree if the palyers we have this year played with the grit/dedication of last years team then we we would be higher in the standings.

This year's team should be IMO a 4th-5th-6th place team in the overall standings.

I don't think it has anything to do with coaching. Its the character of the players that needs to be questioned here. Robert, Ricketts and Guevara came to this team with bad reputations. Their efforts have been inconsistent at best. They float in and out of games.

Mo was by no means a good coach. This years team in his hands wouldn't be any better IMO.

Fort York Redcoat
08-14-2008, 12:09 PM
Danger! Danger! close proximity to coach talk!
:deadhorse:

S_D
08-14-2008, 12:28 PM
3 first round picks

You can only have salaries up to the cap on your team (pro-rated). Allocation money allows you to "remove" some salary from the cap (which is why you see players having two salaries. I believe the allocation has to be used when you first sign the player in order for the salary to come off the cap, and I also believe that at least some of it expires at the end of the year.

I KNOW that the money for a transfer outside of the league that can be used for allocation does NOT expire, or so I thought anyways.

Ok for everyone's benefit, I started a thread in the news section so we can keep track of trades, allocations and draft picks:

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=136368

Hopefully it will be stickied and we can keep track of everything that has gone on. If I have missed anything let me know in the thread.

giambac
08-14-2008, 02:08 PM
Danger! Danger! close proximity to coach talk!
:deadhorse:

This is a forum.

Are you telling me no comments can be made about coaching at all?

The opinion offered from another supporter was that this team with better players wasn't performing as well as last yers team with less qualified players.

giambac
08-14-2008, 02:10 PM
I don't think it has anything to do with coaching. Its the character of the players that needs to be questioned here. Robert, Ricketts and Guevara came to this team with bad reputations. Their efforts have been inconsistent at best. They float in and out of games.

Mo was by no means a good coach. This years team in his hands wouldn't be any better IMO.

If that's the case then get rid of the floaters. WE don't need them on this team. No free rides on this team.

DigzTFC!
08-14-2008, 02:16 PM
Really? Anyone remember Colin Samuel last year? Cunningham when he returned from injury? These guys were lazy then too.

Braz, Reda and a host of players were gritty because thats what kept them in professional sports. All we had on this team were Rudy Rudigers without any skill. Similar to Jarrod "run as hard as I can; then make a bad decision" Smith

The effort level is fine

giambac
08-14-2008, 02:42 PM
Most of what Mo has -- allocation, cap space, picks, DP slot -- is only useful for making deals within the MLS or signing players who are out of contract.

Play-off bound teams may be interested in Mo's draft picks, but they're not going to let go of marquee players before the end of the year.

By Sept. 15 you could see clubs without a hope of play-off action starting to float their stars in exchange for a couple of 1st round draft picks. If my theory has any grounding in reality that could put a player like Kljiesten, Gomez and Casey (sp) in play for a swoop...

unfortunatley the problem with this is that the way we have been playing we may be one of the clubs withiut a play-off hope by Sept 15. That's why something has to be done asap. Can't wait until Sept 15, maybe to late.

invictusTFC
08-14-2008, 03:41 PM
Really? Anyone remember Colin Samuel last year? Cunningham when he returned from injury? These guys were lazy then too.

Braz, Reda and a host of players were gritty because thats what kept them in professional sports. All we had on this team were Rudy Rudigers without any skill. Similar to Jarrod "run as hard as I can; then make a bad decision" Smith

The effort level is fine

Samuel was only lazy when it was hot! lol He always played best in the evening. Unfortunately there weren't too many of those games last year. lol

I guess the only point I wanted to make was that if some of our more skilled players like Guevara and Robert had the work ethic of a guy like Smith, Lombardo or Esky, we'd be kicking some serious ass.

It also works the other way around. Imagine if Jarrod Smith had Guevara's skill???