PDA

View Full Version : McCown and Pinball Clemens talking BMO on Fan 590 Now

Shakes McQueen
08-13-2008, 04:35 PM
Listen in.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
08-13-2008, 04:35 PM
I should add they are also on Rogers Sportsnet too, for anyone who didn't already know.

- Scott

Ageroo
08-13-2008, 04:37 PM
thanks...listening...

gtaguy
08-13-2008, 04:42 PM
any updates as to what was said ?

Shakes McQueen
08-13-2008, 04:43 PM
Recap:

- Apparently they are asking season ticket holders about BMO, as part of a "customer experience" survey.
- He says that ticket sales are way up, and they are currently on a five-year plan to increase ticket sales, and sellout games per year.
- His idea of an optimum Argos stadium would be 25,000 seats, with the ability to expand.
- McCown asked Pinball if he remembered when the deal was originally drawn up, that it was stipulated that the stadium must be able to accommodate CFL football (can anyone source this claim?)
- Sounded like he they had some issues with revenue sharing. This could be a big ace up MLSE's sleeve, that they could use to kibosh a potential move.
- Pinball personally believes that you should be able to sell out your home stadium at least 50% of your games every year.

All in all, not as comprehensive of an interview as the Anselmi piece from yesterday. Clemons was evading, and resisting getting specific about their future stadium plans.

He did bring up one interesting issue though - they currently have a lease with Rogers Centre for something like 15 years. Will Rogers simply release them from that lease?

- Scott

gtaguy
08-13-2008, 04:50 PM
seems like even the argos see it as futile to fight . I reckon it will stay an SSS for the time being..

thanks for the update Scott...

sully
08-13-2008, 04:56 PM
Recap:

He did bring up one interesting issue though - they currently have a lease with Rogers Centre for something like 15 years. Will Rogers simply release them from that lease?

- Scott

yes, it's a 15 year lease but with the option to get out of the lease 3 times during the 15 years, after each of the 5 year periods elapse. I think the first 5 year term will be done after next season.

DVS
08-13-2008, 06:33 PM
yes, it's a 15 year lease but with the option to get out of the lease 3 times during the 15 years, after each of the 5 year periods elapse. I think the first 5 year term will be done after next season.

Yes I'm sure the lease is done at the beiginning fo the 09 season.

I can't wait until the argos sign it so the "argo hate" and the "BMO for soccer only" threads could go down to a minimum for a while

reggie
08-13-2008, 06:56 PM
holy shit...when is this argo informercial on the fan going to end?

Dirk Diggler
08-13-2008, 07:07 PM
Rogers will be more than happy to let the Argos go. Granted, they will lose out on the game day revenue and such but apparently the Argos have been keeping them from making any renovations to the Rogers Centre.

DVS
08-13-2008, 07:15 PM
Rogers will be more than happy to let the Argos go. Granted, they will lose out on the game day revenue and such but apparently the Argos have been keeping them from making any renovations to the Rogers Centre.

Wow now this I didn't know. Is their any print ariticles insinuating this dirk?

NF-FC
08-13-2008, 07:54 PM

makes sense. if they didn't have the argos they could build a new permanent lower bowl that would be more like these new retro-parks.

ilikemusic
08-13-2008, 08:17 PM
makes sense. if they didn't have the argos they could build a new permanent lower bowl that would be more like these new retro-parks.

Any serious changes, especially rebuilding the lower bowl, would have huge costs though wouldnt they?

Plus, it would end any dreams Rogers has of putting an NFL team in the dome.

Though I think if Rogers were to build an NFL stadium north of the city (maybe along the 407?) it would do just fine. Id love for the Jays to play in the Dome, TFC at BMO, the Argos at some stadium of their own (share it with a University for fucks sake), and the NFL north of the city.

I would never leave southern Ontario. :lol:

maninb
08-14-2008, 10:05 AM
Any serious changes, especially rebuilding the lower bowl, would have huge costs though wouldnt they?

Plus, it would end any dreams Rogers has of putting an NFL team in the dome.

Though I think if Rogers were to build an NFL stadium north of the city (maybe along the 407?) it would do just fine. Id love for the Jays to play in the Dome, TFC at BMO, the Argos at some stadium of their own (share it with a University for fucks sake), and the NFL north of the city.

I would never leave southern Ontario. :lol:

The NFL would never fly here...The main reason people here follow it is follow GAMBLING only. The game itself is boring as hell, lasting 3 hours minimum. No matter where you put an NFL stadium, it would be a novelty for 2-3 years and then be moved to a US city. Not many people here would be willing to pay the $100(average) ticket price that they would have to charge, and seeing as there would be no tailgating it would cost a family of four approx $500 to see a game..NOT feasible.

boban
08-14-2008, 10:11 AM
The NFL would never fly here...The main reason people here follow it is follow GAMBLING only. The game itself is boring as hell, lasting 3 hours minimum. No matter where you put an NFL stadium, it would be a novelty for 2-3 years and then be moved to a US city. Not many people here would be willing to pay the $100(average) ticket price that they would have to charge, and seeing as there would be no tailgating it would cost a family of four approx $500 to see a game..NOT feasible.
Thats $500 a game 8 times a year. Not much for a complete season.
But most tickets are in the $40-$70 range in US cities.
I think Ted and MLSE figured out they overpriced these tickets.
And if NFL were to be full time here a new stadium would have to be built.
There is no question about that. The new location would have to take into account the tailgating aspect.

Fort York Redcoat
08-14-2008, 10:14 AM
Before CNFLers take you to task let me tweak that remark and say there is money and plans to bring the NFL here so Toronto could GET a team -cough-phantoms- but I doubt they could KEEP a team.

Whoop
08-14-2008, 10:20 AM
There is no question about that. The new location would have to take into account the tailgating aspect.

Can't blame this one on MLSE.

They have nothing to do with the Bills in T.O.

nascarguy
08-14-2008, 10:32 AM
NFL is way better then boring CFL and the CFL will not last . I have been to a CFL live and there so boring but I have never been to a NFL becuse if them being played in the us citys. But I bet that all the NFL team owners are going to be watching tonights game and all the games in toronto to see how the fans are and how much money is to be made by big companys.

nascarguy
08-14-2008, 10:35 AM
yeah the price for the 8 games are not that bad.

JonO
08-14-2008, 10:39 AM
Not many people here would be willing to pay the $100(average) ticket price that they would have to charge, and seeing as there would be no tailgating it would cost a family of four approx $500 to see a game..NOT feasible.
Not sure where you get that number from. The cost for the "Bills in Toronto" games is a result of a number of factors (reduced capacity of Skydome - yeah I said Skydome - and capital cost of the games to Rogers).

Currently, New England has the most expensive prices at $83 for the most expensive seat in the house. If (and its a big if) Toronto get a team, that's probably a little more like what the seats would cost...

Carter
08-14-2008, 10:51 AM
Yes I'm sure the lease is done at the beiginning fo the 09 season.

I can't wait until the argos sign it so the "argo hate" and the "BMO for soccer only" threads could go down to a minimum for a while

The Lease is up @ the end of the 09 season.

Fort York Redcoat
08-14-2008, 10:57 AM
NFL is way better then boring CFL and the CFL will not last . I have been to a CFL live and there so boring but I have never been to a NFL becuse if them being played in the us citys. But I bet that all the NFL team owners are going to be watching tonights game and all the games in toronto to see how the fans are and how much money is to be made by big companys.

Watch where? I wanted to see how many comp'd tix don't show.

Dirk Diggler
08-19-2008, 01:27 AM

Sorry for the late (to say the least) reply but I can't find a print article suggesting as such. However, I absolutely do remember this topic being discussed extensively about 3-4 years ago. I don't exactly remember the topic anymore but I think it had more to do with making the dome more baseball-friendly than NFL ready, as the entire "Bills in Toronto" thing was still a couple of years in the future. After that, I also remember a follow up some time later that suggested that one of the more concrete plans is to destroy the "Windows" restaurant in favour of a patio type setting seen in many major league ball parks. I'm quite certain most of you have heard of the latter plan.

Either way, Rogers doesn't want the Argos in the Skydome, which might explain why the club seems so desperate to get out of a comfortable situation in the Skydome and barge into BMO Field uninvited.

Although I do believe there has been some talk about Teddy trying to determine the feasibility of making the Skydome NFL-ready, it seems now that he favours an entirely new stadium. Toronto is supposed to launch a bid for the 2015 PanAmerican Games and apparently Ted is in negotiations to iron out a financial blue print to fund the main stadium that would host the major athletic events and the opening/closing ceremonies of that game. I think it would be logical to assume that Rogers foresees that a brand new 80,000 +/- seater, with significant funding from Ontario and Ottawa, would be as good a chance as any to piggyback his way into a new NFL-suitable stadium.

CoachGT
08-19-2008, 08:42 AM
holy shit...when is this argo informercial on the fan going to end?

When people let it fade into the distance. The more that people on the fan bring it up, and the more we display passion and call in, the more they'll put it on because it's entertaining to people who are just sitting back and listening!

greatwhitenorf
08-19-2008, 05:16 PM
The FAN has the broadcast rights to the Argos. Same with the Raptors. They have complete vertical integration in owning the Jays - team, stadium, all broadcast rights and ad sales rights.

Therefore, they promote the hell out of each of these properties to boost their listening audience and create a stronger market for ad sales.

TFC, despite a partial presence on Sportsnet, is a rival presence on many levels. They compete for the sports fan's dollar in ticket sales, they compete for ad sales and they are a rival facility for the dome.

The FAN is the last place I expect soccer to get a fair shake.

TFC-Tyler
08-19-2008, 05:34 PM
You dont know what the fuck you're talking about.

So because you dislike NFL and find it boring it wouldnt work? I hope this was a joke post. Not to mention the tickets would be less than 100 dollars on average, as the highest (New England) are only 83, and with a possible new stadium tailgating. Toronto is huge and filled with NFL fans. It's damn near a fact that NFL would work here, disagreeing is stupid.