PDA

View Full Version : Get the Argos to call Melnyk

Mark in Ottawa
08-13-2008, 11:47 AM
The Argos want a new stadium...

Ottawa wants a pointy ball team and has an empty stadium in need of repair/rebuild...

Eugene Melnyk is desperate to get into the stadium redevelopment plan, so much so he is talking about bringing a footy team to Ottawa...

Get the Argos to call Melnyk and work out some sort of deal.

Toronto pointy ball fans can drive to Ottawa or Hamilton for CFL games or Buffalo for American pointy ball.

Ottawa gets its stadium rebuilt and who knows maybe two new teams that they can watch fail unless Melnyk can work some magic.

Wagner
08-13-2008, 01:10 PM
yeah, the argos are going to piss away 135 years of history....

Bars92
08-13-2008, 01:12 PM
The Argos want a new stadium...

Ottawa wants a pointy ball team and has an empty stadium in need of repair/rebuild...

Eugene Melnyk is desperate to get into the stadium redevelopment plan, so much so he is talking about bringing a footy team to Ottawa...

Get the Argos to call Melnyk and work out some sort of deal.

Toronto pointy ball fans can drive to Ottawa or Hamilton for CFL games or Buffalo for American pointy ball.

Ottawa gets its stadium rebuilt and who knows maybe two new teams that they can watch fail unless Melnyk can work some magic.

As much as I don't want the Agros at BMO, I'm sorry but that was just dumb.

RealG-TFC
08-13-2008, 01:33 PM
^^^ +1

Damien
08-13-2008, 01:37 PM
Or convince the Argo's to play in Shreveport or Las Vegas... wait...

gtaguy
08-13-2008, 01:59 PM
argos can play anywhere they like

JUST NOT AT BMO!!!!!!

TicTacTabarnack
08-13-2008, 02:17 PM

I haven't been past by the old Stadium in a while, but I heard that they have torn down the stadium and Condos are being built already. Hearsay ... but I think Melnyk wants to build his "Soccer" stadium out near ScotiaBank Place.

Blizzard
08-13-2008, 02:19 PM
I haven't been past by the old Stadium in a while, but I heard that they have torn down the stadium and Condos are being built already. Hearsay ... but I think Melnyk wants to build his "Soccer" stadium out near ScotiaBank Place.

The lower section of the south stand was demolished. The rest of the stadium is intact.

Remember that the arena the 67's play in is actually built under the north stand.

vergilg
08-14-2008, 11:59 AM
why do people bother with the CFL at all?
it's second rate to the NFL by miles... it's like watching the Wales league over the EPL...

I hope Melnyk gets an MLS bid going because the fan support for soccer in Ottawa is definitely there. Sadly, I think the stadium will be another turf ground just like BMO.

And as much as I dislike the Impact they got it right the first time. First rate grass pitch, great stadium that can expand to 20,000+ once they are in the MLS, and a solid team owned by a business man.

Fort York Redcoat
08-14-2008, 12:04 PM
it's second rate to the NFL by miles... it's like watching the Wales league over the EPL...

I hope Melnyk gets an MLS bid going because the fan support for soccer in Ottawa is definitely there. Sadly, I think the stadium will be another turf ground just like BMO.

And as much as I dislike the Impact they got it right the first time. First rate grass pitch, great stadium that can expand to 20,000+ once they are in the MLS, and a solid team owned by a business man.

Because they are Canadians. Why do you bother with the MLS?

and I think MFO knows very well the love in his present city for the Rens and the Rough Riders.

TFC07
08-14-2008, 03:11 PM
Toronto is bidding for 2015 Pan Am Games. So the Argos should hop on the wagon try to get a stadium outta of this.

Roogsy
08-14-2008, 04:29 PM
Or convince the Argo's to play in Shreveport or Las Vegas... wait...

LMAO!

It kind of flies in the face of I was reading in the Globe comments about how the CFL is bigger than the MLS...at least the MLS actually survived in the US! LOL!

When you think about it...what a dumb idea that was to try to expand in the US and run up against the NFL. :rolleyes:

AL-MO
08-14-2008, 04:32 PM
LMAO!

It kind of flies in the face of I was reading in the Globe comments about how the CFL is bigger than the MLS...at least the MLS actually survived in the US! LOL!

When you think about it...what a dumb idea that was to try to expand in the US and run up against the NFL. :rolleyes:

I ran into two Birmingham Baracudas fans at the last Grey Cup in T.O

Fort York Redcoat
08-14-2008, 06:14 PM
The AFL has been a success in the same kind of markets. It's the fact the Americans take PRIDE in their game. Would love to see how a second division league would fare in those same AFL towns...

Cashcleaner
08-14-2008, 08:00 PM

Why do people bother watching MLS at all?
It's second rate to most other leagues by miles...It's like watching...

You see where I'm going with this one? If you support a team simply because it's in the best league, that really doesn't say much about you as a fan. With so many people having that attitude, I'd really hate to see a system of promotion and relegation in MLS. I'd expect people would be jumping ship if we ever went down a tier.

RealG-TFC
08-14-2008, 08:01 PM
^^ Your making sense. I doubt he will understand.