PDA

View Full Version : TFC Internet Rumors

DigzTFC!
08-12-2008, 08:26 PM
Here is the latest of TFC rumors:

TFC in talks with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippe_Christanval
as Corpand? stated in another thread

Please add any additional rumors to this thread if you please.

Nuvinho
08-12-2008, 08:29 PM
How many open roster spots do we have??

UltraSuperMegaMo
08-12-2008, 08:37 PM
Not really sure CB should be our biggest priority, although Christanval would be a quality addition. Any striker / forward rumours out there?

DigzTFC!
08-12-2008, 08:38 PM
Good question:

I think we have 16 senior roster spots used with Dunny injured for the year

jloome
08-12-2008, 08:43 PM
Striker situation notwithstanding, if we could get Christanval we should take him. can't see it though, unless he's already been told, essentially, that his history of injury precludes getting a first div .contract somewhere in Europe.

Then again, I thought that about Tebily, too.

DigzTFC!
08-12-2008, 08:53 PM
I agree with you 100% Jloome. I think our CB position is lacking with their ability to pass to midfielders. Too many times we have these long over the top plays that don't work anymore in MLS. Its a posession style league and with a guy like this that can pass, it would be a huge upgrade for our posession game.

Nuvinho
08-12-2008, 08:55 PM
with 2 roster spots we can get a forward and a defender.

I know people don't like Ruiz (I don't really like him myself), but I still think this rumour has some steam.

DigzTFC!
08-12-2008, 09:02 PM
Ruiz would be a gamble and I think Carver is against bringing in more "me-first" characters. He is a talent but unless we can sell him to a Mexican team that can afford him if he flops, he could really damage our cap position.

However, this rumor will catch more steam as LA has just elected to take Eddie Lewis in the allocation process of returning americans. So it looks like they will need the cap room

Draracle
08-12-2008, 09:02 PM
with 2 roster spots we can get a forward and a defender.

I know people don't like Ruiz (I don't really like him myself), but I still think this rumour has some steam.

I agree with the Ruiz point. We need a guy. They want to get rid of a guy. We could get him on the cheap.

As for a CD, I think we need one. James isn't good enough to start yet. Marshall is 33, and both Marshall and Velez are national call ups. We were set with Tebily, but he is gone now. CD is too important and too difficult to be short maned on.

DigzTFC!
08-12-2008, 09:09 PM
CB is very important and Velez is constantly showing his lack of quality. While Marshall makes mistakes he is the general back there. Would love to get Serioux to replace Marshall but we have to make due. Velez and James are not ready to start and I don't think Velez will improve that much more.

Nuvinho
08-12-2008, 09:11 PM
There is a chance that Velez and James may start this Sunday, if Marshall doesn't recover in time.

DigzTFC!
08-12-2008, 09:21 PM
I expect this weekend will be one to forget with NYRB revamped offense. I suspect Robinson will go back and James will be put at RB and Nana will be first to come off the bench for the defense.

Corpand
08-12-2008, 10:02 PM
My "little birdie" does indeed tell me that TFC reached Christanval early last week. Weather anything at all materializes from this I really dont know, that part is ultimately up to Mo. Dont want to give anyone false hope if nothing goes through, I want a signing as much as anyone. Still, if anything does happen, you heard it here first ;)

TFC07
08-12-2008, 10:36 PM
Wiki isn't the best source. So I don't know if I should take this rumour seriously.

Wooster_TFC
08-13-2008, 07:13 AM
Good question:

I think we have 16 senior roster spots used with Dunny injured for the year

http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=3237

That'll tell you about the roster spot designation. We are good and clear on pretty much everything, although we will have to be careful with international spots for next year.

Season ending injuries from my understanding can only be declared once someone is signed to replace the player, so technically we only have 1 spot open currently.

I also am a little concerned as to whether or not we can (or will) put Dunivant on SEI. If Carver's quote about trading Cunningham in order to free up a spot for someone (Dickov?) is true, combined with the crap return we got for Cunny, it makes me wonder why we even bothered, since all we had to do to sign whomever was put Dunivant on SEI.

invictusTFC
08-13-2008, 09:24 AM
Yet another player with an injury plagued past. Add field turf to the mix and you have nothing but an unsubstantial rumour.

Shaughno
08-13-2008, 09:27 AM
What happened to yesterday's thread?

alexintoronto
08-13-2008, 09:29 AM
You killed it with your childish games!!

Now tell us

:D

H Bomb
08-13-2008, 09:29 AM

Why, you got something new to add?

Shaughno
08-13-2008, 09:33 AM
I dunno, the last I read it was when I gave my last clue. Come back on and it's gone?!

Daveisonfire
08-13-2008, 09:35 AM
^ I was looking for it too...care to give an overview of your clues again? :D

Seriously though, what happened to the other thread? I tore the search a new asshole looking for it

Shaughno
08-13-2008, 09:39 AM
I forget what I gave out!

Partial List:

Not very well known to me prior to hearing about it
No Int'l caps
Doesn't play GK or Defense

Daveisonfire
08-13-2008, 09:41 AM
hmm

Ajax youth system *edit*
Never capped
never made a "huge" splash
Could be a discovery claim or a trade
not a defender or a goalkeeper
unfamiliar with the player
haven't seen him linked before

That's all i remember, and I could be wrong

Shaughno
08-13-2008, 09:43 AM
Trial with Ajax youth system actually.

trane
08-13-2008, 09:45 AM

as Corlund? stated in another thread

I big CB with EPL experience would be great on paper. But lets see.

Bluenose13
08-13-2008, 09:45 AM
I forget what I gave out!

Partial List:

Not very well known to me prior to hearing about it
No Int'l caps
Doesn't play GK or DefenseJust after you left.....They figured it out & the players name was in the thread so the thread got closed & moved to protect the source.

H Bomb
08-13-2008, 09:46 AM
isn't Gary Lineker

Shaughno
08-13-2008, 09:47 AM
Just after you left.....They figured it out & the players name was in the thread so the thread got closed & moved to protect the source.

Oh! Shit, that's no fun. :(

Daveisonfire
08-13-2008, 09:54 AM
Ballzy...I guess I won't get to know unless he signs:

Unless someone PM's me the name...I won't tell. Trust.

giambac
08-13-2008, 09:57 AM

as Corlund? stated in another thread

Let me summarize him for you

unjury, injury, injury,
ineffective, ineffective, ineffectvie
waste, wast, waste.
don't want him, don't want him, don't want him

Huginho
08-13-2008, 10:00 AM

unjury, injury, injury,
waste, wast, waste.

:rolleyes: but your still available right? I mean you did say yesterday you had no problem playing on the turf. If he does come it would only be till the end of this season I suspect

H Bomb
08-13-2008, 10:00 AM

unjury, injury, injury,
waste, wast, waste.

Shoo, this is a thread for optimists. You're a self proclaimed realist. Plenty of other places for you to moan

trane
08-13-2008, 10:06 AM
Giambac, the think is it sounds like he is has real quality, this combined with his size, would make him very attractive to clubs through out europe. His recent injury issues are the only reason we would have a shot at him in Toronto. I understand were you are comming from but it may be a calculated risk worth taking. Anyway it is pure rumor right now.

Shaughno
08-13-2008, 10:10 AM
Giambac, the think is it sounds like he is has real quality, this combined with his size, would make him very attractive to clubs through out europe. His recent injury issues are the only reason we would have a shot at him in Toronto. I understand were you are comming from but it may be a calculated risk worth taking. Anyway it is pure rumor right now.

Well it's made it's way to MLSRUMORS now.:noidea:

Pigfynn
08-13-2008, 10:12 AM
Somebody send me a PM with the dude's name from yesterday...don't worry I won"t tell.

Shaughno
08-13-2008, 10:17 AM
^^ You'll find out soon enough. ;)

trane
08-13-2008, 10:27 AM
Well it's made it's way to MLSRUMORS now.:noidea:

In that case it is as good as done. ;)

Shaughno
08-13-2008, 10:28 AM
In that case, so is Argos at BMO.. officially on the unofficial rumor site.

trane
08-13-2008, 10:34 AM
^ Realy?

Shaughno
08-13-2008, 10:35 AM
Well they copied the Globe and Mail article that was posted here this morning.

giambac
08-13-2008, 10:46 AM

W e need a strker. This dude isn't a scorer.
We need healthy bodies. This dude has a history of injury problems.

He doesn't meet what we need and he is a risk health wise.
I don't want a player just because he played in the EPL. I want a plyer to file a hole we have in our lineup.

invictusTFC
08-13-2008, 10:47 AM
I for one will struggle to renew my season tickets knowing that I'll have to see football lines game in and game out at BMO. It just gives me the sense of bastardized soccer. It will take away from what we've created here over the past 2 seasons. Its like a slap in the face to soccer purists.

Ron Manager
08-13-2008, 10:48 AM

I don't want a player just because he played in the EPL. I want a plyer to file a hole we have in our lineup.

And in your estimation we are rock solid at CB then?

invictusTFC
08-13-2008, 10:49 AM

While a CB isn't our most pressing and immediate need, it still is a need especially after the departure of Tebily.

ACSertL
08-13-2008, 10:52 AM

I was thinking the same thing...albeit slightly after you.

giambac
08-13-2008, 11:06 AM
While a CB isn't our most pressing and immediate need, it still is a need especially after the departure of Tebily.

I know Teliby was solid. Why wasn't he used as much? I know he had injuries but even when healthy he was on the bench.

I heard that his excuse for leaving (i.e to go back home and be closer to his wife) was made up. He appaentlly was pissed off for the lack of playing time he was given. If so, our coaches scewed this one.

Huginho
08-13-2008, 11:09 AM
I know Teliby was solid. Why wasn't he used as much? I know he had injuries but even when healthy he was on the bench.

I heard that his excuse for leaving (i.e to go back home and be closer to his wife) was made up. He appaentlly was pissed off for the lack of playing time he was given. If so, our coaches scewed this one.

that's not the issue people are talking about though. with his departure we are depleated at CB and it was notable after the last game with Robinson having to play there because of Velez's Red, James playing RB and Marshall coming off injured.

bangersandmash
08-13-2008, 11:13 AM
I for one will struggle to renew my season tickets knowing that I'll have to see football lines game in and game out at BMO.

The lines don't need to be there. The Jay's play at Roger's Centre, and there are no throwball lines on the field. Not saying I want a CFL team at BMO, just pointing out that groundsharing doesn't need to be visually painful -- we have the technology.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-13-2008, 11:25 AM
Just after you left.....They figured it out & the players name was in the thread so the thread got closed & moved to protect the source.

ARG!!!
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?!
christ. i spent alot of time in that bloody thread and i never found out.
im not joking with how jealous i am right now.

invictusTFC
08-13-2008, 11:46 AM
ARG!!!
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?!

I wasn't online at all yesterday, can someone fill me in with the gist of that thread?

Ossington Mental Youth
08-13-2008, 11:51 AM
basically Shaughno suggested there are talks with someone (possibly a striker with all sorts of clues) who is likely to sign. Someone suggested earlier on in this thread that they figured it out in the thread which was then deleted like a suspect microfilm. I feel like a broken man for not having read it. HA

Huginho
08-13-2008, 11:59 AM
i read an article earlier from football 365 that mentioned Will Johnson ha been let go. a quality canadian striker? :canada: someone call MO, sorry Gimbrac you are no longer needed to fill that position.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-13-2008, 12:00 PM
Holy shit, thatd be amazing.
Does chicago still have his rights?

Ossington Mental Youth
08-13-2008, 12:01 PM
I think Will is disqualified from the list because hes played for the national team tho, one of the hints was that the person had never received a cap

Nuvinho
08-13-2008, 12:03 PM
new rumour

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=4604

Huginho
08-13-2008, 12:03 PM
I think Will is disqualified from the list because hes played for the national team tho, one of the hints was that the person had never received a cap

I just brought up Will seperate from the other player in question.

trane
08-13-2008, 12:05 PM

That is my feeling too, and if so it was a huge blunder that was kept under the radar, due to the problems that we had finding a striker.

invictusTFC
08-13-2008, 12:18 PM
That is my feeling too, and if so it was a huge blunder that was kept under the radar, due to the problems that we had finding a striker.

It must have been a very difficult decision for Carver to make. Velez and Marshall had some good outings and JC had to decide whether to mess with a good thing or keep the combo intact. Unfortunately for Tebily, he got hurt around the same time Velez and Marshall's play started to deteriorate. In retrospect, it was a bad decision by Carver. Tebily was by far the best defender on this team and should have gotten the start as soon as he signed.

poppamidnight
08-13-2008, 12:27 PM
I actually dont think we're gunna need a CB,

We need to play at least 2, most likely 3 up front...
as of now we have 3 "2nd tier" strikers:
Dichio, Ibbe (as of now...future could be 1st tier), Chad...

that is to say all 3 are subbable players....

IMO, we need that 1st tier striker,
possibly looking at a lineup like this:

___(new striker)___Dichio_____Chad -(Ibbe subbed in for chad/Danny)

________Robert____Guevara____ -(ricketts in for Robert/Edu/Chad/Danny)

_____Robbo________Edu_______

Jimmy_____Tyronne____Wynne

Thats how im looking at it with the personnel we look to finish the season with (unless Edu/Robbo gets traded).... 2 top-quality subs daily, 1 emergency sub...

Shaughno
08-13-2008, 12:33 PM
I don't see the backline staying as 3 men personally, but I could be wrong. If we had two proper strikers we wouldn't need 3 up front. I still think this team with the personel we have, should warrant a 4-4-2 with a diamond midfiled. Edu pushed to defense when needed as cover.

trane
08-13-2008, 12:46 PM
While it is an interesting formation, I think we would get killed with three at the back. Plus I would rather see Rickets moved to a more central or forward position the Robert, due to his dribiling ability.

invictusTFC
08-13-2008, 12:48 PM
I actually dont think we're gunna need a CB,

We need to play at least 2, most likely 3 up front...
as of now we have 3 "2nd tier" strikers:
Dichio, Ibbe (as of now...future could be 1st tier), Chad...

that is to say all 3 are subbable players....

IMO, we need that 1st tier striker,
possibly looking at a lineup like this:

___(new striker)___Dichio_____Chad -(Ibbe subbed in for chad/Danny)

________Robert____Guevara____ -(ricketts in for Robert/Edu/Chad/Danny)

_____Robbo________Edu_______

Jimmy_____Tyronne____Wynne

Thats how im looking at it with the personnel we look to finish the season with (unless Edu/Robbo gets traded).... 2 top-quality subs daily, 1 emergency sub...

We've been brutal at times with 4 in the back, how is going to 3 defenders going to be an improvement? Not to mention that Wynne is a suspect defender playing RB when he's got at least some coverage. It will be suicide trying to play him as a third CB. (plus you are taking away the biggest asset Wynne brings to the team, his speed and ability to beat opposing players down the wing)

giambac
08-13-2008, 01:00 PM
It must have been a very difficult decision for Carver to make. Velez and Marshall had some good outings and JC had to decide whether to mess with a good thing or keep the combo intact. Unfortunately for Tebily, he got hurt around the same time Velez and Marshall's play started to deteriorate. In retrospect, it was a bad decision by Carver. Tebily was by far the best defender on this team and should have gotten the start as soon as he signed.

As much as i've been bashed for my comments (and perhaps I carried them to far), I've been saying it for a while that Carver was making mistakes.

No one was listening.

So now we need both a striker and a CB. well we had the CB and let him get away.

Hope Mo can come thru.

Shaughno
08-13-2008, 01:08 PM
As much as i've been bashed for my comments (and perhaps I carried them to far), I've been saying it for a while that Carver was making mistakes.

No one was listening.

So now we need both a striker and a CB. well we had the CB and let him get away.

Hope Mo can come thru.

The thing is, nobody (at least from what I saw) wasn't saying he didn't or hasn't made any mistakes. It's that your approach typically consisted of labelling any problem under the sun to Carver, which was and is for the most part untrue. Yes, he does and has made mistakes but if the team is performing up to their standards as players, that's their own fault not Carver's. A manager can only inspire so much in a player before his own desire and will to win takes over.

giambac
08-13-2008, 01:14 PM
The thing is, nobody (at least from what I saw) wasn't saying he didn't or hasn't made any mistakes. It's that your approach typically consisted of labelling any problem under the sun to Carver, which was and is for the most part untrue. Yes, he does and has made mistakes but if the team is performing up to their standards as players, that's their own fault not Carver's. A manager can only inspire so much in a player before his own desire and will to win takes over.

Agreed,

however in Teliby's case he was never given a fair opportunity. It took him awhile befor Craver put him in, and then when he got in he played great.
After the injury Carver never played him again.

I mean Teliby played in better leagues than the MLS. I think he proved himself but for whatever reason he wasn't given a fair chance. Why did they bring him in if they were going to sit him on th bench.
so now we have to find a replacement for a player we already had.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-13-2008, 01:15 PM
I do agree that Tebily prob didnt get the playing time he deserved and thats why he left however with giambac the issue isnt speaking out against Carver when he thinks hes wrong. Giambac speaks out against Carver for EVERYTHING, regardless of the point or situation. I do hope we sign Philipe as we do need another CB, defo need a striker ahead of that tho,

trane
08-13-2008, 01:15 PM
^ This is my dillema. On one hand I like Carver, I like the formation/tactics/style he introduced. I think that he has made us a better team. However, on the other hand, I think that we have a better team on paper then our record, indicates. When you have what I think is a good manager, and good players, you should have a better record, then we do. But we do not. I realy wonder, and this is a scencere question were is the fundametal problem?

Shaughno
08-13-2008, 01:16 PM
Agreed,

however in Teliby's case he was never given a fair opportunity. It took him awhile befor Craver put him in, and then when he got in he played great.
After the injury Carver never played him again.

I mean Teliby played in better leagues than the MLS. I think he proved himself but for whatever reason he wasn't given a fair chance. Why did they bring him in if they were going to sit him on th bench.
so now we have to find a replacement for a player we already had.

Definitely agree on that. I don't know what went on behind the scenes so I can't really speculate too much, but personally I've never been a fan of Marshall and I would have had Marshall out and Tebily in.

Shaughno
08-13-2008, 01:18 PM
^ This is my dillema. On one hand I like Carver, I like the formation/tactics/style he introduced. I think that he has made us a better team. However, on the other hand, I think that we have a better team on paper then our record, indicates. When you have what I think is a good manager, and good players, you should have a better record, then we do. But we do not. I realy wonder, and this is a scencere question were is the fundametal problem?

That's what has been frustrating me. It's obvious with Carver it's not that he doesn't care, he does. It's not that his tactics didn't work, they did. Did teams figure us out again? I'd like to think the teams around the league aren't THAT adaptive when it comes to switching according to oppositions tactics, but maybe I'm just niave?

jloome
08-13-2008, 01:21 PM
Definitely agree on that. I don't know what went on behind the scenes so I can't really speculate too much, but personally I've never been a fan of Marshall and I would have had Marshall out and Tebily in.

Well, I was a fan of Tebily. Having said that, Carver is obviously very big on work rate and it may just be that the big centre half was here for a paid vacation. Carver's not an idiot, he was a defender and can see our shortcomings. If he thought Tebily's concentration was going to be better than Velez's, he'd have started him.

But that was the knock on him before we got him; his nickname was "bombscare", for cryin' out loud (and I can't believe my nickname for Velez, El Bombascero, doesn't seem to have caught on), because he had so many lapses in concentratoin. Coaches had to yell at him from the sidelines to keep his head in the game.

So, skills notwithstanding, there may have been valid reasons why he didn't start.

Shaughno
08-13-2008, 01:26 PM
^^ Like I said, without knowing what went on behind the scense I can't speculate too much. :p

But yes, he got the nickname for a reason. Maybe his work ethics weren't gelling with Carver/Winsper.

giambac
08-13-2008, 01:26 PM

okay it's all my fault. I will take the blame.:(

invictusTFC
08-13-2008, 01:40 PM
Short of being involved with every team practice we can only speculate. The other part of the equation is that Tebily was hurt during the time that this team needed him most. I think that had more of an impact on his utilization than anything else. Also he's the one that walked away from this team, that in itself says a lot about this guys character. Like I said, he was perhaps the best defender on this team, but no one really knows what happened behind closed doors. To completely blame this on Carver is irresponsible. I hope that I didn't give that impression. I was only trying to say that this team went out and signed a stud defender, so they should have used him from the onset.

Shaughno
08-13-2008, 02:07 PM
^^ And I think that's a point we can all agree on.

DigzTFC!
08-13-2008, 02:20 PM
Well, for the sake of speculation, Ante Jazic will probably be made available now after Eddie Lewis was claimed through allocation by LA. Jazic could land in Toronto (we need a defender and Jimmy shifts to CB) or SJ (coached by Yallop). A natural replacement for Dunny but could create complications the following year.

Shaughno
08-13-2008, 02:27 PM
Complications how? Just roster spots?

DigzTFC!
08-13-2008, 02:33 PM
Three LB in Dunny, Brennan and Jazic. Brennan might not be the best CB to have...or move him to the wing again. And it also seems ridiculous for 18 man roster

jloome
08-13-2008, 02:37 PM
We shouldn't shift Jimmy to CB. He did admirably there for a few games last year -- compared to the others we had. But his positional strength wasn't good enough and he got caught forward several times. Plus, you want a guy who's really good in the air. No way he should bump anyone we have right now, as shaky as Velez has been in road games.

More the issue of who you keep on the Dunny front, as he's a better player than Jazic (I believe) but Jazic's Canadian, and I wouldn't suggest there's a huge gap between them.

Shaughno
08-13-2008, 02:37 PM
Jazic is past his prime and only has a couple seasons left in him IMO. That said, he's still a better defender than the majority of our defense. He can also be used in the midfield if and when needed. A huge asset to have that doesn't take up an Int'l spot. I'm sure we could make room if he were to come.

Shaughno
08-13-2008, 02:39 PM
We shouldn't shift Jimmy to CB. He did admirably there for a few games last year -- compared to the others we had. But his positional strength wasn't good enough and he got caught forward several times. Plus, you want a guy who's really good in the air. No way he should bump anyone we have right now, as shaky as Velez has been in road games.

More the issue of who you keep on the Dunny front, as he's a better player than Jazic (I believe) but Jazic's Canadian, and I wouldn't suggest there's a huge gap between them.

Agree for the most part, but I think Jazic still has enough in the tank to push for a starting spot in our D. Dunny has more years left in him, reads the game well and has been fairly solid on defense, but I think Jazic is the better well rounded player of the two.

DigzTFC!
08-13-2008, 02:59 PM
Well lets compare:

Jazic: Canadian; 32 years old; 125K
Dunny: American; 28 years old; 104K

Both have injury history and both can play LW and LB. Jazic is a better winger and similar to Brennan in utility. I think Jazic is better than Dunivant but thats my opinion. Watching him in the Gold Cup he showed his class. Dunivant is quality but we don't need him per say and could let him go in the expansion draft if we acquire Jazic.

Also, the big thing to think about is Dunny will always be a bench player whereas Jazic is a starter that could be an excellent bench player with better utility. But this is in contrast to some opinions I respect.

DigzTFC!
08-13-2008, 03:24 PM
Further speculation (posted somewhere else already in the board)

New Heerenveen boss Trond Sollied has told Canada international Will Johnson, he is free to find a new club

http://www.soccer365.com/us_news/story_13808151522.php

Could be a half answer to the striker position in depth

invictusTFC
08-13-2008, 03:28 PM
Further speculation (posted somewhere else already in the board)

New Heerenveen boss Trond Sollied has told Canada international Will Johnson, he is free to find a new club

http://www.soccer365.com/us_news/story_13808151522.php

Could be a half answer to the striker position in depth

Isn't Johnson an attacking mid?

DigzTFC!
08-13-2008, 03:30 PM
He plays both. Kind of an in between player really. Hence the half answer, but he tends to play more of attacking role like Guevara

invictusTFC
08-13-2008, 03:31 PM
He would be a substantial upgrade to Roselund as a back up to Guevara though...

Shaughno
08-13-2008, 03:32 PM
^^ I think he may be, but he's been used at striker IIRC.

Still, doesn't Chicago or someone have his rights?

DigzTFC!
08-13-2008, 03:39 PM
I think his rights would have expired after 3 years of being abroad, so it could be a Josh Wolff instance of him signing with a team of his choosing.

He was signed by the Chicago Fire (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Fire_%28soccer%29) as a discovery player. Johnson played most of the year for the reserve team but he did play in six games for the senior team, where he scored a goal. After the year the Fire offered him a $28,000 contract, which he rejected it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Johnson_(soccer)

Shaughno
08-13-2008, 03:45 PM
Fair enough, MO! Get'r done!

Daveisonfire
08-13-2008, 08:41 PM
ARG!!!
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?!

Trust me, I know how you feel :(

Baggio2TFC
08-13-2008, 08:47 PM
new rumour

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=4604
I have actually been looking around to see where he is. As of now, he is out of contract. I can't find him linked to any team either. I know this roumor was out in Jan, but with what has happened as of late with all the others, and with the window closing soon, maybe it is time to rethink Fiore. I've seen him play(not recently thou), and really like(d) hat I saw. he could be our answer as our offence is starting to get healthy again!:noidea:

Nuvinho
08-14-2008, 12:23 PM
More Ruiz talk.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2008/08/galaxy-looking.html

bangersandmash
08-14-2008, 12:26 PM
I've never paid Ruiz much attention. Is his reputation as a cancer deserved? Just askin.

DigzTFC!
08-14-2008, 12:26 PM
I posted it in the news section too. But lets keep this thread going. It could be an okay deal depending on what we give away and what Ruiz we get in return.

Dub Narcotic
08-14-2008, 12:27 PM
I don't like Ruiz, but he's worth a shot if Carvston can't get anybody else in. Guevera, Robert and Ruiz are a lot of jackasses to have on one team, although Guevera's been ok so far.

Nuvinho
08-14-2008, 12:29 PM
I am getting different #'s on what Ruiz is making, and whether his grandfather clause is still in existence for next year. Can anyone clear up how much he is making this year and next year.

I mean if we don't give up much for him, since LA needs to unload him. Probably a 3rd round pick we acquired from Dallas.

DigzTFC!
08-14-2008, 12:32 PM
The one thing I liked about getting Barret and getting rid of Cunny was that we were moving towards more quality characters on the team. Guys that gave everything on the field even if it meant less talent. I thought that showed in the Colorado game.

If we get Ruiz, you will see a lot of diving that will embarrass you to be a fan of the team at times. But he will also score clutch goals and make darting runs that will link up well with Guevara. He also heads the ball really well to get on the end of crosses from Robert. The real issue is having so many poor quality characters on one team makes it harder to get out of slumps.

This team needs more leadership right now....and goals....I don't know what to think

Ossington Mental Youth
08-14-2008, 12:32 PM
Hes a total dick, i think hes making 425k but only 300k under the grandfather clause. That lasts only one more season if im not mistaken.
Dude is foul to the third degree, he once decided not to come back to Dallas as he wanted to visit his daughter in Guatamala. Hes had a shit season.
Ill take him if it means we can rid of him at the end of the season FOR CERTAIN.
Outside of that, no thanks.

jloome
08-14-2008, 12:34 PM
Hes a total dick, i think hes making 425k but only 300k under the grandfather clause. That lasts only one more season if im not mistaken.
Dude is foul to the third degree, he once decided not to come back to Dallas as he wanted to visit his daughter in Guatamala. Hes had a shit season.
Ill take him if it means we can rid of him at the end of the season FOR CERTAIN.
Outside of that, no thanks.

I believe it's $600,000 and that he's technically a grandfathered DP. It's only $300,000 against their salary cap because they're using matching allocation dollars.

I'd take Will Johnson over Ruiz in a freakin' heartbeat.

DigzTFC!
08-14-2008, 12:35 PM
Actually, I say do it. We have 12 games left and if it doesn't work out. Sell him to a Mexican or Guatemalan team. Pull the trigger if they're desperate.

Nuvinho
08-14-2008, 12:36 PM
Get Ruiz for this year, if he can't score (ie. Cunny) or has an attitude problem, then let him go in the expansion draft, and hope Seattle picks him up.

I am hoping for THREE signing by tomorrow - a defender, and maybe 2 forwards (although we don't really need to trade for Ruiz til later on). I hope Mo is going to make a great Friday!!!

Ossington Mental Youth
08-14-2008, 12:38 PM
Id defo take Will johnson over Ruiz in a heartbeat.

RealG-TFC
08-14-2008, 12:39 PM
I don't like Ruiz, but he's worth a shot if Carvston can't get anybody else in. Guevera, Robert and Ruiz are a lot of jackasses to have on one team, although Guevera's been ok so far.

Robert and Guevara are not jackasses. They are both the two most talented players on our team. I think it's safe to say that warnings of them having a short temper has been mostly untrue. NEVER compare Ruiz to these two wonderful players.

DigzTFC!
08-14-2008, 12:40 PM
Watch the Ruiz Goal Montage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc-mzkX71hg

with this music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NCMUEWl4vk&feature=related

Some nice headers and plenty of poaching and darting runs into space. Lets just say that any miss Cunny made 4 yards out would not be missed by this guy

Beach_Red
08-14-2008, 12:40 PM

And Robert is not a total loss. His performce really seems to be affected by others on the team - he's no leader, that's for sure, but a the quality of play around him rises so does his play (unfortunately, it also goes down with the quality if play).

If we were in a playoff spot, or even just closer to one, this kind of risk is okay - the players only have to be hot for a few games and can win it all. Of course, that's what people complain about in this league structure, but maybe that accounts for some decisions and some chances?

Tintin
08-14-2008, 01:25 PM
The one thing I liked about getting Barret and getting rid of Cunny was that we were moving towards more quality characters on the team. Guys that gave everything on the field even if it meant less talent. I thought that showed in the Colorado game.

If we get Ruiz, you will see a lot of diving that will embarrass you to be a fan of the team at times. But he will also score clutch goals and make darting runs that will link up well with Guevara. He also heads the ball really well to get on the end of crosses from Robert. The real issue is having so many poor quality characters on one team makes it harder to get out of slumps.

This team needs more leadership right now....and goals....I don't know what to think

I don't think we are in a position to be difficult. Any talented player we can get, and Ruiz is very talented, we sould get!!!

Ruiz would be great with guevara. We need more latin flare and less British style players.

Beggers can't be chossers!!!!

NateDoGG
08-14-2008, 01:28 PM
will mlse ever buy up a world class european striker? i mean if any club in the mls should bring in another name as big as a beckham, it should be toronto fc...

joel
08-14-2008, 01:28 PM
I'd take ruiz for the rest of the season...we can get someone else next year. Goals are what we need most.

I think Mo specifically has someone for DP next year when they are out of contract, and it's something that has been planned since the beginning. He was always talking about in a couple years, and I always assumed the deal was already in principle with an under contract player in europe. Makes sense to get a guy in for the rest of the season.

Shaughno
08-14-2008, 01:34 PM
I'd take ruiz for the rest of the season...we can get someone else next year. Goals are what we need most.

I think Mo specifically has someone for DP next year when they are out of contract, and it's something that has been planned since the beginning. He was always talking about in a couple years, and I always assumed the deal was already in principle with an under contract player in europe. Makes sense to get a guy in for the rest of the season.

That's kind of been my expectation as well. I figure it's one of two things. He's waiting for an Int'l player's contract to run out, or he's waiting until DeRo is willing to come here. For some reason, I don't think DeRo is on Mo's radar but I think Carver wants him.

Beach_Red
08-14-2008, 01:34 PM
will mlse ever buy up a world class european striker? i mean if any club in the mls should bring in another name as big as a beckham, it should be toronto fc...

You're right, the league did well with Beckham (not that the Galaxy did), but it's time for another big name or that momentum will be lost.

It should be TFC, but it will probably be Seattle, gonna sell a million t-shirts with "xbox live" on the front....

DigzTFC!
08-14-2008, 01:37 PM
Beggers can't be chossers!!!!

We're not beggars....we're a second year team building towards a strong roster. Bringing on 300K in salary for a guy with lots of issues could be very dangerous if we can't get rid of him when things turn sour. I said I would be okay if we can sell him later to a Mexican or Guatemalan team if things don't work out. I think our roster is in a good position for the future right now.

Roogsy
08-14-2008, 01:37 PM
If we dont have a DP for the start of next season....somebody is gonna get a hurtin'!

Shaughno
08-14-2008, 01:39 PM
Somebody gonna get a hurt.. REAL BAD!
http://www.langfieldentertainment.com/images/PHOTOGALLERY%202005/Russel%20Peters3-Oct%2018-05.jpg

invictusTFC
08-14-2008, 01:55 PM
I guess the question is "Is Ruiz better than either Dichio or Barrett?" If he is an improvement over either player then it might be a decent gamble. If he is not going to improve this team substantially then we're just overpaying for mediocrity.

DigzTFC!
08-14-2008, 01:59 PM
The one thing about Dichio that I'd love in a futuristic scenario is to bring him on as sub in 60-70th minute when we are winning games. He is probably the best defensive forward to have and can but in some goals. That should be his niche. He's not a full 90 guy anymore due to his lack of pace.

Ron Manager
08-14-2008, 02:09 PM
Johnson certainly knew where the goal was in Olympic Qualifying...I would be happy to see us grab him if we could.

Anyone know what he was making at Heerenveen?

Stouffville_RPB
08-14-2008, 03:26 PM
Don't get Ruiz! I'd rather miss the playoffs and get a quality signing in the summer then make the playoffs and screw our team over for years.

Are we that quick to forget what happened with Cunningham already?

Ruiz doesn't even start in L.A. he's been over taken by some guy named Buddle (you may have heard of him before). Dichio is just starting to get healthy again, let Dichio and Barrett finish up the year and see what happens.

Shaughno
08-14-2008, 03:27 PM
^^ And what happens if Dichio or Barrett were to get hurt?

Spend the $100k to sign him for the season. He can sit on our bench and score goals when called upon.

Stouffville_RPB
08-14-2008, 03:45 PM
^^ And what happens if Dichio or Barrett were to get hurt?

Spend the $100k to sign him for the season. He can sit on our bench and score goals when called upon.

There is no gaurentee that you'll be able to unload Ruiz at the end of the season.

Would you really want to gamble our future on one run for the playoffs? This isn't the Maple Leafs, let's build something that can contend for title for many years instead of just trying to get into the playoffs this season.

Second year teams aren't and shouldn't be expected to make the playoffs in any sport.

DigzTFC!
08-14-2008, 03:50 PM
I agree with your sentiments Stouffville. But I think we can offload him abroad to Guatemala or Mexico. The ironic part of one of your post is you mention Buddle....well Buddle has 12 goals after a change of scenery. Ruiz might be able to do the same, especially with the available playing time up front. If we can't unload him then we shouldn't do it. Its a matter of finding a way to mitigate risk.

Shaughno
08-14-2008, 04:01 PM
^ Exactly, you can't say what he will or won't do until it happens. Cunny went from leading the league in goals, to sucking ass for us.

I'm not sure how long his contract is with the MLS, but I think the hardest part of offloading him would be his choice of where to go.

poppamidnight
08-14-2008, 04:09 PM
okay... what if it's not just exclusively Ruiz....

I bet you'd all be that much more tempted if we were trying to snag Jazic as well...

Gimme Jazic + Ruiz for Dunivant + Harmse back (Rosenlund's just fine there)...if that would work out roster wise...

Or better yet, Gimme Jazic + Ruiz plus your first for Smith + Dunivant + Our lowest 1st (of the 3)

joel
08-14-2008, 04:24 PM
Yeah I'm sure LA would love to trade for a guy on Season Ending Injury (Dunivant)

Stouffville_RPB
08-14-2008, 07:03 PM
Guys we honestly have a real good thing going here. A nice nucleus of players are really starting to come along great. If Ruiz is going to be so easy to offload then why are we the only option for a trade? Why aren't other teams lined up around the block for him? I think if we get Ruiz he'll be here next year aswell and then we'll be stuck.

poppamidnight:
From what I've read what LA wants in return in the trade is allocation money to sign someone else. So although I wouldn't mind possibly one day finding a taker for Harmse, he isn't going to LA in a deal for Ruiz.

If we can get a signing by tomorrow when the transfer window closes (don't hold your breath) then I'm all for it. I'm againist adding a player with Ruiz's reputation and possibly handcuffing ourselves next season. Ruiz is very skilled but the only time I want to see him in our house is when he's sitting on the opposing teams bench.