PDA

View Full Version : Ranking TFC in the English Football League

TFC USA
08-12-2008, 03:06 PM
Sure why not?

Where would you rank the following things from TFC if put in the English Football League system?

The Fans

The Stadium

The Style of Play

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-12-2008, 03:07 PM
Fans = Premiership top four

Stadium: Football League Championship, top ten

Style of play: Football League Championship, bottom ten

TFC USA
08-12-2008, 03:08 PM
What about Jarrod Smith's style of play?

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-12-2008, 03:11 PM
Conference North/South, but that's why he's not starting for us when everyone's healthy. :P

trane

Seems about right.

As for Smith, he seems to be our new Lombardo. I do not mind his play overall, I can see what Mo saw in him. I think that at best he is a bottom championship bech player, currenlty he would be on his way out.

adampz

Style of play: Football League Championship, bottom ten Stadium and Syle of play are right, but i dont think we're up there in the top 4

MartinUtd
Lower lower Championship / League One all around

Lucky Strike
08-12-2008, 03:13 PM

That seems bang on to me.

OneLoveOneEric
08-12-2008, 03:13 PM

I'd agree with all of that, but I'd put the play a shade lower. Maybe top of League 1?

Nodoubtguy
08-12-2008, 03:14 PM
Top 4?? really??
I think we have a hell of a long way to be considered on that level......no offense, but we don't have our shit together fan wise compared to top euro clubs. We have trouble trying to get more then one section singing together.

TFC USA
Seems about right.

As for Smith, he seems to be our new Lombardo. I do not mind his play overall, I can see what Mo saw in him. I think that at best he is a bottom championship bech player, currenlty he would be on his way out.

Except Lomardo never scored in MLS play......;-)

jrey
I think you're absolutely mad if you think we're anywhere near the top 4 in the prem.

I remember reading that article on espn or whatever that had us ranked in the top 10 sports-team fans in the world, and habs fans 6th, and man u fans as 1st? what a fucking crock of shit.

what about every south american team where fans live and DIE with their team, or celtic and rangers, or FENERBAHCE. or ANY german team, or the japanese teams that have wicked-cool fans. if you think we're up there with teams that have been around for a century while we're in our 2nd year, you need to wake the fuck up.

we are not prem quality fans. wait. yes we are. all 500 of us. the rest are fucking rentals who came for beckham and want to sit and not cheer in the south end.

trane
08-12-2008, 03:17 PM
Except Lomardo never scored in MLS play......;-)

I was going to mention that. Smith got me interested at the beggining when we scored in LA, but since he has had his chances, which is good in itslef, but then failed to convert.

ACSertL
08-12-2008, 03:17 PM
Top 4?? really??
I think we have a hell of a long way to be considered on that level......no offense, but we don't have our shit together fan wise compared to top euro clubs. We have trouble trying to get more then one section singing together.

Not to mention some of the fan bases in the lower leagues are pretty strong.

MartinUtd
08-12-2008, 03:18 PM
Yeah really.. filling 20000 seats and barely being able to co-ordinate a chant is hardly at the same level as Anfield

TFC USA
I'd love to see more fans singing besides the RPB and the U-Sector.....

I want BMO to be loud to the point where I can here it in the US without turning on the TV.

Nodoubtguy
Not to mention some of the fan bases in the lower leagues are pretty strong.

oh for sure.....I think we got a long way to go, but its only year two.....

I_AM_CANADIAN
Top 4?? really??

OK, so that was a bit of arrogance in my part. ;) But I think we're pretty high up there when you look at world football, there aren't many clubs playing in leagues like ours that get this sort of fan support, especially a team that's been around for only a year and a bit. We've got four different supporters groups (Red Patch Boys, U-Sector, North End Elite, Tribal Rhythm Nation) already, that's a pretty good accomplishment. I wasn't talking LITERALLY that we're as big as a Liverpuddle or Man Utd, but when you take the circumstances into account, we're effin massive.

And for someone that mentioned it, there are few clubs playing in league one and league two that even have a twenty thousand seat stadium, if they do then it either isn't an all seater, or they're in the Leeds United situation, a top club who fell down the league system ladder for one reason or another.

joel
08-12-2008, 03:20 PM
OK, so that was a bit of arrogance in my part. ;) But I think we're pretty high up there when you look at world football, there aren't many clubs playing in leagues like ours that get this sort of fan support, especially a team that's been around for only a year and a bit. We've got four different supporters groups (Red Patch Boys, U-Sector, North End Elite, Tribal Rhythm Nation) already, that's a pretty good accomplishment.

top 4 prem..lol. I think it's ignorance instead of arrogance.

football league championship for all levels, even championship has betters support than us, and is better coordinated. They have history on their side though.

It's a good accomplishment and all, but let's not start comparing apples to oranges..why can't people just be happy with what they;ve got and work on it? No, let's compare ourselves to everyone else.

Nodoubtguy
08-12-2008, 03:23 PM
OK, so that was a bit of arrogance in my part. ;) But I think we're pretty high up there when you look at world football, there aren't many clubs playing in leagues like ours that get this sort of fan support, especially a team that's been around for only a year and a bit. We've got four different supporters groups (Red Patch Boys, U-Sector, North End Elite, Tribal Rhythm Nation) already, that's a pretty good accomplishment.

I hear what your saying, but the majority of people are not vocal at games, which sucks......we defenitly have the numbers, all we need to work on is the noise. When people post videos of entire stadiums singing......I get the chills.

FHKtuzD4Odk

Bars92
08-12-2008, 03:29 PM
Fans = Championship side in the top half of the table that has a buzz about it - maybe with a shot at promotion.

Stadium: Football League Championship, middle of the road

Style of play: League One at best

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-12-2008, 03:30 PM
top 4 prem..lol. I think it's ignorance instead of arrogance.

football league championship for all levels, even championship has betters support than us, and is better coordinated. They have history on their side though.

It's a good accomplishment and all, but let's not start comparing apples to oranges..why can't people just be happy with what they;ve got and work on it? No, let's compare ourselves to everyone else.
Stadiums in the English lower leagues are often very old and rundown. To cite an example, when I was over there for my uncle's wedding a few years ago we checked out a Leyton Orient v. Kidderminster match, Brisbane Road is eighty years old and literally falling apart, and Leyton Orient usually only get about half capacity for their matches, so about 5000 people. They play in east London, so it's probably not the best example seeing as there's a lot of competition in London, but you don't realize how lucky we are to just be starting out and have a brand, spanking new stadium, and while it isn't exactly state of the art, it definitely suits the present needs of the club.

English fans have had 150 years to coordinate chants, scarf waving, etc.

For us to have gotten this much together in only a year and a half isn't so bad. ;) You have to use perspective.

adampz
08-12-2008, 03:30 PM
I think you have to know ynwa off by heart to enter anfield, i bet security makes you sing it outside the stadium just to make sure you sing when you get in:)

joel
08-12-2008, 03:32 PM
Stadiums in the English lower leagues are often very old and rundown. To cite an example, when I was over there for my uncle's wedding a few years ago we checked out a Leyton Orient v. Kidderminster match, Brisbane Road is eighty years old and literally falling apart, and Leyton Orient usually only get about half capacity for their matches, so about 5000 people. They play in east London, so it's probably not the best example seeing as there's a lot of competition in London, but you don't realize how lucky we are to just be starting out and have a brand, spanking new stadium, and while it isn't exactly state of the art, it definitely suits the present needs of the club.

English fans have had 150 years to coordinate chants, scarf waving, etc.

For us to have gotten this much together in only a year and a half isn't so bad. ;) You have to use perspective.

Right..but this is a new league in general compared to others, everything is different. It's cool and we're doing well but I don't feel the need to compare our league with any other, there are so many factors, history and time in the league is a big factor.

graeme117
08-12-2008, 03:35 PM
LOL top 4, i just spit out my coffee

hell look up the videos of FCUM and you'll see they can carry a song better than us and they're not even in the football league

Sab0tage
08-12-2008, 03:36 PM
I'm sorry, but there's no way I would consider us top 4 in terms of support in comparison to clubs like Liverpool, United etc. There are clubs in the Coca Cola Championship and even League 1 who are better. Sure, we're good in comparison to the other MLS clubs, but we have a long way to go before we can consider ourselves the elite.

adampz
08-12-2008, 03:37 PM
I think we can say we're top 4 in mls: tfc, DC, Chi, Chivas

BC101
08-12-2008, 03:38 PM

havin a laughhhhhhhh

Stadium is true Championship quality...

Style of play definitely NOT Championship LOL..

Fans well lets just say yer wrong i'll leave it at that... Just cos they can do "Oh when the reds" and the Massive 20 times per half doesn't make them anywhere near Stretford end or AnFAILED quality...

Also in regards to fans... 300 in Chicago is hardly the numbers that almost any away team brings in the premiership.

Not just Chicago... 300 or less in MTL which is only 5 hrs away... I don't think i've ever heard from someone back home that they won't go to a European night match because "Its on a tuesday" LOL

graeme117
08-12-2008, 03:39 PM
I hear what your saying, but the majority of people are not vocal at games, which sucks......we defenitly have the numbers, all we need to work on is the noise. When people post videos of entire stadiums singing......I get the chills.

the kop itself is 12,000+ seats, almost 60% of our entire stadium's capacity in one stand

trane
08-12-2008, 03:42 PM
^What do you think the level of play is Brit. The problem is that I have not seen alot of lower championship play. I would say in Italian terms level of play is upper Serie C, at best lower Serie B.

Sab0tage
08-12-2008, 03:42 PM
havin a laughhhhhhhh

Stadium is true Championship quality...

Style of play definitely NOT Championship LOL..

Fans well lets just say yer wrong i'll leave it at that... Just cos they can do "Oh when the reds" and the Massive 20 times per half doesn't make them anywhere near Stretford end or AnFAILED quality...

Also in regards to fans... 300 in Chicago is hardly the numbers that almost any away team brings in the premiership.

Not just Chicago... 300 or less in MTL which is only 5 hrs away... I don't think i've ever heard from someone back home that they won't go to a European night match because "Its on a tuesday" LOL Yeah. Small clubs in League 2 bring 500+ to away matches, some more than 1000.

Bars92
08-12-2008, 03:46 PM
"Stadium is true Championship quality..."

I agree, except they have real grass. Even the most beat-down stadiums in Britain all have proper turf.

BC101
08-12-2008, 03:47 PM
^What do you think the level of play is Brit. The problem is that I have not seen alot of lower championship play. I would say in Italian terms level of play is upper Serie C, at best lower Serie B.
I can't say for sure but I can definitely say its not Championship level quality. Sorry but when the Championship debuted this weekend past... I was like "Oh yeah shit thats what FOOTY is supposed to be played like." God Bless TFC and I love em but WTH the league nevermind just the team is REALLY poor quality footy. In terms of play even Jleague is better.

TFC USA
08-12-2008, 03:49 PM
Of course MO could be reading this thread right now and promptly sign some League 1 fans to be at BMO.

Canadian Blue
08-12-2008, 03:50 PM

Sorry but no way:

Fans - Bottom third of the championship if not lower

Stadium - Top third of the second division (if not lower due to the bleacher effect)

Style of Play - on a good day mid Championship, bad day low 2nd division on average constantly fighting for promotion from 2nd div and relegation from Chanpionship

Heathen
08-12-2008, 03:53 PM
Fans = Watford, harmless not known for being crazy but get behind their team

Stadium: Portsmouth - Only ground I can think of with seats under no roof

Style of play: Plymouth - Championship strugglers

Oblio2
08-12-2008, 03:53 PM
The Fans -Div 1 or Coca Cola at best

The Stadium
Div 1

The Style of Play
Coca Cola

james
08-12-2008, 03:54 PM
id say we arent bad, i went to Charalton match at the Valley few years ago when they were still in the Premiership and there fans suckeddd. The stadium was full but they might of sang all of 2 songs that whole match and everyone was sitting down.

I also went to a Brentford match and the stadium is old and run down and fits i think 12,000 fans but only 4,000 fans showed up for the match. And probably about 1,000 of those were Luton fans at the away end. There was alot of teenagers in the home end who seemed to be quite vocal but its pretty sad with so many empy seats.

But then i went to a Portsmouth match and they were dam loud. It was like a party atmosphere with thousands of fans singing all together for the full 90 minutes. It sounded great, we are miles behind the type of atmosphere Portsmouth had.

All and all id say are fans can be better then a few premiership clubs and some Coca Cola Championship and probably better then the majority of League 1.

As for are skill, id say we play at the skill level of League 1. And are stadium is more like a Coca Cola Championship/ League 1 style.

graeme117
08-12-2008, 03:55 PM
does anybody else get sick of comparing the mls to other leagues though?

Like when the epl comes around, watching mls on tv is like an assault on the eyes, anyone with any inkling of understanding can see the two are like comparing high school track and field to the olympics. Not even close.

But it seems with the mls trying to position itself as a world-class league it tells everyone is good in comparison. Missing the point that 1) they're deluding themselves and 2) i don't go to matche b/c i expect to see the highest level of footie, i go to matches to support a football team thats mine.

It reminds me of bozo mclown's arguments on the fan, that NAs will only go if its a world class league... when really all most of us wanted was a half decent team playing in a proper stadium, that we can support locally.

BC101
08-12-2008, 04:00 PM
does anybody else get sick of comparing the mls to other leagues though?

Like when the epl comes around, watching mls on tv is like an assault on the eyes, anyone with any inkling of understanding can see the two are like comparing high school track and field to the olympics. Not even close.

But it seems with the mls trying to position itself as a world-class league it tells everyone is good in comparison. Missing the point that 1) they're deluding themselves and 2) i don't go to matche b/c i expect to see the highest level of footie, i go to matches to support a football team thats mine.

It reminds me of bozo mclown's arguments on the fan, that NAs will only go if its a world class league... when really all most of us wanted was a half decent team playing in a proper stadium, that we can support locally.

Thats why I go to TFC matches... But at the same time I have NO misgivings about this teams play or the play of the league. Or even our performance as supporters. Despite the BEST efforts of everyone in each supporters group we'll NEVER be anywhere near what they've been comparing us to/stealing our chants from.

Oblio2
08-12-2008, 04:05 PM
Yeah. Small clubs in League 2 bring 500+ to away matches, some more than 1000.

I was at Spurs, away to Sunderland at the Stadium of Light in 2001 and there were 3000 fellow Spurs fans...

james
08-12-2008, 04:05 PM
all tho MLS is not the greatest league or anything. But its better then some people give it credit. I mean ya its no where close to the skill or fans at top level leagues like Germany, England or Italy. But id say MLS is better then alot of countries around Europe like Switzerland, Croatia, Serbia, Denamrk, Belgium and so on where maybe only 2 teams at best ever win and no one supports the other clubs in the league.

BC101
08-12-2008, 04:06 PM
I was at Spurs, away to Sunderland at the Stadium of Light in 2001 and there were 3000 fellow Spurs fans...
See? that kind of thing is mostly common... Except for some exceptions obviously... But you get the point...

Oblio2
08-12-2008, 04:07 PM
all tho MLS is not the greatest league or anything. But its better then some people give it credit. I mean ya its no where close to the skill or fans at top level leagues like Germany, England or Italy. But id say MLS is better then alot of countries around Europe like Switzerland, Croatia, Serbia, Denamrk, Belgium and so on where maybe only 2 teams at best ever win and no one supports the other clubs in the league.

Ouch. Blanket statement whcih shows a complete lack of knowledge about teams that have been around for a hell of a long time.

Sab0tage
I was at Spurs, away to Sunderland at the Stadium of Light in 2001 and there were 3000 fellow Spurs fans... Yeah, I know big clubs bring that many. But even clubs in League 2 can bring over 1000 supporters to an away match. Our away support is nothing in comparison to even these smaller clubs.

Red Patch CA
Don't know what to make of this thread. Am I supposed to feel bad or good that we are Championship, league 1,2,3 etc?

I know the glass isn't full or empty...maybe half full. Doesn't matter where you are; it matters what direction you are going. Are we better than last year? Yes! And we were certainly better than the year before.

:)

graeme117
08-12-2008, 04:08 PM
Thats why I go to TFC matches... But at the same time I have NO misgivings about this teams play or the play of the league. Or even our performance as supporters. Despite the BEST efforts of everyone in each supporters group we'll NEVER be anywhere near what they've been comparing us to/stealing our chants from.

you're right.

and i think thats where we go wrong occasionally, we make the mistake of wanting the kop or the stretford end or the curva sud, when what we have is the southend and an mls team that plays like... an mls team. But hopefully one day we'll have our own identity,

BC101
08-12-2008, 04:09 PM
Yeah, I know big clubs bring that many. But even clubs in League 2 can bring over 1000 supporters to an away match. Our away support is nothing in comparison to even these smaller clubs.

Exactly.. We got 2000 ONCE but never again and that was cos opening match and MLSE was helping with buses etc etc... EVEN if TFC made the MLS Cup final we would get like MAYBE 300 out there in LA.

Oblio2
08-12-2008, 04:11 PM
Also, when comparing to teams in EPL, CCC, Div 1 etc.....Some of these teams have been around for over a hundred years.
We are at year 2.
We are on the right track...not there yet but on the right track.
I dont think we should compare ourselves to anyone...we are TFC, we are who we are.

BC101
08-12-2008, 04:14 PM
Also, when comparing to teams in EPL, CCC, Div 1 etc.....Some of these teams have been around for over a hundred years.
We are at year 2.
We are on the right track...not there yet but on the right track.
I dont think we should compare ourselves to anyone...we are TFC, we are who we are.

We won't be around that long... Its my feeling this league will die before too long... Poor League attendances... VERY poor. Colorado, KC, Clownbus, NYRB, even the leagues best NER and Champions houston have piss poor attendances. The league is just not taken that seriously around... And with speculation of teams like Las Vegas getting a team? WTF who in Vegas would give two shits?
The same can be said for KC why do they even HAVE a team? etc etc..

But as you say "We are TFC we are who were are"

Ladies Love Julius James
08-12-2008, 04:16 PM
We won't be around that long... Its my feeling this league will die before too long... Poor League attendances... VERY poor. Colorado, KC, Clownbus, NYRB, even the leagues best NER and Champions houston have piss poor attendances. The league is just not taken that seriously around... And with speculation of teams like Las Vegas getting a team? WTF who in Vegas would give two shits?

Casino owners would invest and bring soccer moms from Reno I guess. Vegas I'm talkin bout.

BC101
08-12-2008, 04:18 PM
Meh.. Ultimately i just say sit back and enjoy the ride... We'll never get the thousands going anywhere.. Hamilton could have a MLS team but if we played em on a Tuesday we'd still only get 200 people over there.

a.ungaro
08-12-2008, 04:20 PM

as sad as it sounds he is 100% correct...this league is ran by abunch of clowns who know absolutely nothing...for this league to stay around 100 years+ it needs a major facelift and a new battle plan...

SilverSamurai
08-12-2008, 04:20 PM
Exactly.. We got 2000 ONCE but never again and that was cos opening match and MLSE was helping with buses etc etc... EVEN if TFC made the MLS Cup final we would get like MAYBE 300 out there in LA.
Which is why TFC should be in the finals @ BMO :taz: lol
I also am not sure of what to make of this thread. Best fans in MLS? Perhaps. I think things are great considering it's only Year 2. Still their is much progress to be made. But to compare ourselves to an EPL squad which has been around since the beginning of time (well may as well be) is perhaps a bit premature. But still it's good to have a benchmark and to want to aspire to something better.
Best atmosphere so far? Canada Cup games against Montreal and Vancouver. Once that type of atmosphere is the norm, then we'll see and know we're making progress.

mclaren
08-12-2008, 04:21 PM
Yeah, I know big clubs bring that many. But even clubs in League 2 can bring over 1000 supporters to an away match. Our away support is nothing in comparison to even these smaller clubs.

That's what I thought when I first came to Canada but you have to think about the distances..completely different.

Sab0tage
08-12-2008, 04:26 PM
That's what I thought when I first came to Canada but you have to think about the distances..completely different. Yeah, but plenty of supporters in Britain travel more then 5 hours for matches. We took what, like 250-300 to Montreal and that is only a 5 hour drive.

james
08-12-2008, 04:26 PM
Ouch. Blanket statement whcih shows a complete lack of knowledge about teams that have been around for a hell of a long time.

Im not saying these leagues are complete shit. In fact i love watching smaller clubs play. I mean of gone to some League 1 and League 2 matches in England and its great. But just since we are comparring clubs to TFC right now im saying the league MLS often gets critisized on how shitty it is. And i know pretty much every country in Europe has there own soccer league and most of them have been around along time. But just to use croatia as an example yes they have history. And yes clubs like Hajduk Split and Dinamo Zagreb have crazy fans, loud as fuck and they put on a hell of a Tifo every match, but these two clubs are top of the league pretty much every year and they only average maybe 12,000 fans a game while lower teams average 5,000 or less fans. And im sure the skill of the league isnt any better then MLS clubs mainly because lack of money, many clubs got old run down stadiums and lack of support for many teams.

But with that said if i ever get the chance id still love to go watch a soccer match in Croatia. Just like i love seeing all different leagues and clubs play.

BC101
08-12-2008, 04:27 PM
Which is why TFC should be in the finals @ BMO :taz: lol
I also am not sure of what to make of this thread. Best fans in MLS? Perhaps. I think things are great considering it's only Year 2. Still their is much progress to be made. But to compare ourselves to an EPL squad which has been around since the beginning of time (well may as well be) is perhaps a bit premature. But still it's good to have a benchmark and to want to aspire to something better.
Best atmosphere so far? Canada Cup games against Montreal and Vancouver. Once that type of atmosphere is the norm, then we'll see and know we're making progress.

Actually best Atmosphere so far was MTL away and Chicago away. The rest (Even the home) was just fluff... Although for home performances yes those two were the best. Pachuca also had a great atmosphere towards the end.

TFC Tifoso
08-12-2008, 04:28 PM
Of course MO could be reading this thread right now and promptly sign some League 1 fans to be at BMO.

No....he'd probably trade for some allocation money, then give us the spiel about how some new fans are on the way very soon. ;)

BC101
08-12-2008, 04:29 PM
Yeah, but plenty of supporters in Britain travel more then 5 hours for matches. We took what, like 250-300 to Montreal and that is only a 5 hour drive.

My point EXACTLY... And why? because its a Tuesday? WTF CL matches or UEFA cup matches are during the week and you can pretty much be assured any team in England that has a spot in these competitions proper(Not qualifying) would bring more than 250-300.

profit89
08-12-2008, 04:29 PM
Fans = Championship side in the top half of the table that has a buzz about it - maybe with a shot at promotion.

Stadium: Football League Championship, middle of the road

Style of play: League One at best

Sounds right.

King Jeff
08-12-2008, 04:30 PM
The stadium was full but they might of sang all of 2 songs that whole match and everyone was sitting down.

I think the same 'criticism' could be made of most Premiership and Championship teams, since you have to sit down during matches in England. (I realize that the stewards don't always strictly enforce this rule)

james
08-12-2008, 04:32 PM
Yeah, but plenty of supporters in Britain travel more then 5 hours for matches. We took what, like 250-300 to Montreal and that is only a 5 hour drive.

On a bus Montreal is more like 6-7 hours away. We did take what 2,500 fans 9 hours to columbus. Id say most clubs in England only need to travel a few hours for most away games. Its probably less then 9 hours from London to Newcastle which are just about the furthest teams can be. While Columbus is the closest team to us.

Sab0tage
08-12-2008, 04:34 PM
On a bus Montreal is more like 6-7 hours away. We did take what 2,500 fans 9 hours to columbus. Id say most clubs in England only need to travel a few hours for most away games. Its probably less then 9 hours from London to Newcastle which are just about the furthest teams can be. While Columbus is the closest team to us. You are right, it's not 5 hours to Montreal, I was thinking of Ottawa for some reason.

BC101
08-12-2008, 04:35 PM
In the car we got there in 5 hours.... Would've been less but a stop took well over an hour.

SilverSamurai
08-12-2008, 04:38 PM
Actually best Atmosphere so far was MTL away and Chicago away. The rest (Even the home) was just fluff... Although for home performances yes those two were the best. Pachuca also had a great atmosphere towards the end.
Ya I meant a home game.
Wouldn't know about Montreal since I didn't go and could barely hear you guys on TV. Damn mics...

BC101
08-12-2008, 04:39 PM
Ya I meant a home game.
Wouldn't know about Montreal since I didn't go and could barely hear you guys on TV. Damn mics...
wouldn't go by what you hear on Mics... on CBC and sportsnet.... I think their afraid of alittle colourful language so you know.

james
08-12-2008, 04:41 PM
wouldn't go by what you hear on Mics... on CBC and sportsnet.... I think their afraid of alittle colourful language so you know.

Montreal away we sounded great because its alot easier to get everyone singing together with smaller numbers of people. But then with only a few hundred people its hard to be as loud as some home games.

Keegan
08-12-2008, 04:45 PM
We are League 1 level in play/players. Premier league level fans. Championship stadium.

But seriously, Jarrod Smith would not make a championship bench. Players like Michael D'Agostino, Danny Dichio and Ricketts sit on CCC benches. Jarrod Smith would honestly be in League 2.

jloome
08-12-2008, 05:01 PM
Fans: Any good club there. Seriously, we're not that special, comparitively speaking.

Stadium: Any decent small stadium. BMO is crap, but it's new, which puts it above above 3/4 of the stadia in England.

League: Upper League one, lower CCC on our good days. Seriously, I watched the season kickoff on Setanta this past weekend, and if anyone thinks MLS teams could regularly compete with Sheffield United and Birmingham, they're off their heads. Maybe New England. Maybe.

MartinUtd
08-12-2008, 05:13 PM
We are League 1 level in play/players. Premier league level fans. Championship stadium.

But seriously, Jarrod Smith would not make a championship bench. Players like Michael D'Agostino, Danny Dichio and Ricketts sit on CCC benches. Jarrod Smith would honestly be in League 2.

Dichio and Ricketts (and Welsh for that matter) were cut from CCC benches so I'd say we are absolutely in League One. Look were Dickov ended up going too.

flatpicker
08-12-2008, 05:33 PM
I just got back into Toronto a couple hours ago from the UK.
So since I attended a League One game at Bristol Rovers I will say this....

Standing in the terrace with the supporters was quite the experience.

They fired off songs and chants as though from a semi-automatic chant machine gun!
They came fast and furious!
There was no build up and repetition to try and get more fans in on the tune.
Everyone jumped into line instantly and belted out the songs loudly and in unison.
The songs were also very brief as they quickly went into the next one.
I suppose 120 years of experience would get you to that point.
Their stadium only held about 9,000 people and still I got chills from just how good their voices were.

So that was League One... and we are just short of that.
We have better numbers... but they have the skill.
Oh, and they have a roof!!! And it sounded fantastic!!!! Oh God do I want a roof!!!

On the style of play...
I was truly impressed with the action in that game!
It was super fast attacking play with accurate and speedy passing.
I would love to see that kind of action at BMO!

Again... League One... and I found in more entertaining.

The Stadium?
Well maybe it's not fair to compare with Rovers since they are in between stadiums at the moment.
Currently the share with the Bristol rugby team.
It's rickety and old... but not a seat in the house except for the visitors section!
All terrace standing room! Awesome!

One a side note... Carlisle was the visiting team and they packed that visitor section.
Very cool to see!

All in all...
Toronto might have the numbers... and the dollars... but I had as good a time there as I have at several TFC games.

Sab0tage
08-12-2008, 05:35 PM
I just got back into Toronto a couple hours ago from the UK.
So since I attended a League One game at Bristol Rovers I will say this....

Standing in the terrace with the supporters was quite the experience.

They fired off songs and chants as though from a semi-automatic chant machine gun!
They came fast and furious!
There was no build up and repetition to try and get more fans in on the tune.
Everyone jumped into line instantly and belted out the songs loudly and in unison.
The songs were also very brief as they quickly went into the next one.
I suppose 120 years of experience would get you to that point.
Their stadium only held about 9,000 people and still I got chills from just how good their voices were.

So that was League One... and we are just short of that.
We have better numbers... but they have the skill.
Oh, and they have a roof!!! And it sounded fantastic!!!! Oh God do I want a roof!!!

On the style of play...

The Stadium?
Well maybe it's not fair to compare with Rovers since they are in between stadiums at the moment.
Currently the share with the Bristol rugby team.
It's rickety and old... but not a seat in the house except for the visitors section!
All terrace standing room! Awesome!

One a side note... Carlisle was the visiting team and they packed that visitor section.
Very cool to see!

All in all...
Toronto might have the numbers... and the dollars... but I had as good a time there as I have at several TFC games. Good to know your back safely. I've been waiting for a post from you to see how the game went.

Ontario Arab
08-12-2008, 05:37 PM
Supporters- you cannot draw comparrisons to any UK team as we have NO History and really nothing to get excited about .......Yet (hopefully).
Stadium- League 1 until its expanded.
Team-League 1 but struggling in mid table. We appear to have no passion or a belief in ourselves which is what makes a team. Good players on paper and all that..........

For anyone that thinks otherwise has obviousley never attended a football match in the UK, that simple.

flatpicker
08-12-2008, 05:40 PM
Good to know your back safely. I've been waiting for a post from you to see how the game went.

safe and sound...
now I just have to stay up for a few more hours to get my sleep pattern back on track.

3-2 was the score for Carlisle by the way...
oh well...

also... I'm gonna have to do a lot of catching up to find out what's been going on the last two weeks.
I have had little to no access to internet while away.
I manage to get the scores but that's about it.

So much reading to do... so little time!

Sab0tage
08-12-2008, 05:42 PM
safe and sound...
now I just have to stay up for a few more hours to get my sleep pattern back on track.

3-2 was the score for Carlisle by the way...
oh well...

also... I'm gonna have to do a lot of catching up to find out what's been going on the last two weeks.
I have had little to no access to internet while away.
I manage to get the scores but that's about it.

So much reading to do... so little time! Yeah, last summer when I came back from England it took me a day or two to get back to normal. And shame about the loss, but it sounds as if you had a lot of fun. Are you going to remain a Rovers supporter now?

Toronto_Bhoy
08-12-2008, 05:43 PM
Thanks to Flatpicker for bringing some reality to this thread!

Bristol Rovers people!!! League One (Third Division)!!!

On the style of play...

Ontario Arab
08-12-2008, 05:52 PM

Agreed Bhoyo......

BC101
08-12-2008, 07:18 PM

I brought that reality well before...just since its me people choose not to listen.

LOL I love this 120 years oh they have 100 years experience... you know a hundred years ago supporters were probably not sitting around "hey lets have a sing song and we'll practice and practice and practice for 100's of years till we get it right."

You need only look at teams like Gamba Osaka or Urawa Reds to see teams with not much history but get their shit together in the stands. History does help but thats not a major issue we're having. Ours is far more annoying and in some cases petty.

MFBODD
08-12-2008, 08:10 PM
This is a hard comparison.

As mentioned in other posts, we are a very young team and many clubs in Europe/England have been around for over 100 years. I think this is a valid point for the simple fact that because of the history there are generations of fans within families over there. Also, as previously mentioned, how many teams are there in London alone? It's an easy ride on the tube to get to a road match. How do you judge fan support? By those at the stadium chanting, or those watching on tv? Our ratings are not great. The sports culture and culture in general is also way different in Europe and Asian than it is here.

That said, I say our stadium is pretty good. No grass, but we have beer. I've heard others say we'd struggle in the Championship, so League One sounds right. I'm going to compare our in stadium support to other sporting events in N.America (Mexico excluded) and say we are fucking great.

Heathen
08-12-2008, 08:36 PM

Bollocks, there were almost 300 in LA last season by all accounts, guaranteed we'd take over a 1000 and if the home opener is Eastern Conference next season we'll have 2000 there again

koryo
08-12-2008, 08:37 PM
I brought that reality well before...just since its me people choose not to listen.

Well, you know how I feel on the subject. But since we've had more threads on the subject than goals from Cunny I'll resist the temptation to be my usual broken-record self.

I will say that this thread is quite pointless. If you're so bored on these boards, log out and go do something useful.

koryo
08-12-2008, 08:39 PM
there were almost 300 in LA last season

er... I don't know where that number came from, but we were nowhere near that. Possibly 50 including the ex-pats who met us at the ground

Sonny Cheeba
08-12-2008, 08:42 PM
really. what's the point in a comparison like this. we need to get better and that's it as far as play goes, the stadium doesn't matter and our support so far is amazing.. we have the passion, but it's only the 2nd year.

and this thread is basically saying that premier league clubs have better supporters than other leagues. it's easy to support a top flight team for so many people, it's called the bandwagon. and yeah it sounds silly coming from an arsenal supporter, but look, i also support dundee united, they lost to hamiltin accies yesterday. fuckin shite.

james
08-12-2008, 09:03 PM

LOL I love this 120 years oh they have 100 years experience... you know a hundred years ago supporters were probably not sitting around "hey lets have a sing song and we'll practice and practice and practice for 100's of years till we get it right."

You need only look at teams like Gamba Osaka or Urawa Reds to see teams with not much history but get their shit together in the stands. History does help but thats not a major issue we're having. Ours is far more annoying and in some cases petty.

ya i wanna find out how the clubs in Japan got there supporters together so fast. The J-League was only started in what 1993 or somethin? while MLS started in 1996. The J-League already has 2 Divisions and some teams like Urawa Reds got huge support and are seriously among the best in the world as far as atmosphere goes. They did all this in less then 15 years, MLS should take a good look at the J-League and try to recreate that here in North America.

kitchener-TFC
08-12-2008, 09:04 PM

LOL! I actually chocked on my water when I read this!

This is a hard comparison.

As mentioned in other posts, we are a very young team and many clubs in Europe/England have been around for over 100 years. I think this is a valid point for the simple fact that because of the history there are generations of fans within families over there.
Good point.

Toronto_Bhoy
08-12-2008, 09:41 PM

Great example BritChat!

flatpicker
08-12-2008, 09:48 PM

to be fair... my argument was not about the fact that the Rovers have been around for 120 years.
I just mentioned it as a side note (and partly for fun)
the fact remains... all the comparisons I made still stand
we have work to do.
There are definitely young teams out there that have there shit together.
I think one major hurdle is that Canadians in general just aren't used to providing that kind of support.
It will take some getting used to...
hopefully the petty issues will slowly go by the wayside.

BC101
08-12-2008, 10:01 PM
yeah the Jleague is a great example of a young league that has its act together... Which is why iam still a STH at Gamba Osaka... Great and UNIQUE experience... They dont go copying all the songs and stuff theres some obviously but a lot are original good stuff. That team is only founded in 1991. 21 thousand seat stadium...

BC101
08-12-2008, 10:06 PM
ya i wanna find out how the clubs in Japan got there supporters together so fast. The J-League was only started in what 1993 or somethin? while MLS started in 1996. The J-League already has 2 Divisions and some teams like Urawa Reds got huge support and are seriously among the best in the world as far as atmosphere goes. They did all this in less then 15 years, MLS should take a good look at the J-League and try to recreate that here in North America.

Far more organized supporters groups and not at each others throats all the time really helps. In my time over there I NEVER once saw the kind of dumb shit we have here on the RPB boards in their BBS's or meetings. Never heard the "I dont wanna sing that song because I hate the supporters group that made it up." etc etc

Cashcleaner
08-13-2008, 03:41 AM
I don't think we're Premiership-level out of any columns, but I would agree we'd beat Port Vale any day of the week. :D

The Fans - Slightly more vocal than some Championship supporters (unless its a derby).
The Stadium - Not even up to par with a few Scottish 1st Division grounds. :(
The Style of Play - Markedly less offensive to the senses than a Highland League match played on a wet and sober sunday.

Derko
08-13-2008, 06:14 AM
[quote=TFC USA;132938]Sure why not?

Where would you rank the following things from TFC if put in the English Football League system?

The Fans = League 1

The Stadium = Lower Championship

The Style of Play = Lower Championship to Upper League 1

Next season up another notch.

"We're here for a long time"

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-13-2008, 10:54 PM
Dichio and Ricketts (and Welsh for that matter) were cut from CCC benches so I'd say we are absolutely in League One. Look were Dickov ended up going too.
Dichio was a major part of Millwall's FA Cup final run (if anyone here remembers waaaay back to 2004, when Chelsea were nothing more than another mid-table club and Michael Owen was able to play more than a couple matches in a row without suffering another season-ending injury... with Liverpool), Ricketts was a big prospect at Arsenal and Spurs. Sometimes players just need a change of scenery to get them motivated again, don't make such gross generalizations.

And britchat, fans have been singing songs at football matches since around the time the game turned professional. Notts County have been around since 1863 (I believe), I doubt that by 1864 they had fully fledged supporters sections flying banners and leading the entire stadium in chants. :rolleyes: Think about what you're saying here.

What I'm saying is that in relative comparison, when you take into account that we live in a country that couldn't give half a shit about football until TFC showed up, TFC are two years old, we play in a league that doesn't have a great standard of play and our team aren't exactly running wild over the rest of the league at the moment, we have fantastic support.

And about copying songs, puh-LEASE. There are very, very, very, very, very few original songs sung by even the biggest clubs in England. Fuck, there's a song called Glory, Glory Man United, one called Glory, Glory Leeds United, and one called Glory, Glory Tottenham Hotspur. Nearly every song (even my personal favorite, who ate all the pies?) you hear is based on a tune the supporters didn't make up themselves, they're mostly based on traditional songs, because those are the easiest for fans to pick up and sing. My uncle said that when he was at a Bolton Wanderers match a few years ago the supporters made up a song on the spot about Teddy Sheringham (who at the time was with West Ham, and since he played for Man Utd... as you can imagine, it wasn't very nice) based on some traditional song. That's what football supporters DO, they're not virtuoso composers. Your average English football enthusiast is a working class guy who's out to get drunk with a bunch of his mates and have a fun time taking the piss out of the other team's players. If your team wins, even better. They're not upper middle-class kids whose parents have done everything for them and have nothing else to do with their time but tell other people on forums like these that they don't know what "real" football fans are like, while they themselves haven't the slightest idea...

I hate to use such a ghey term, but some of you people are such "Eurosnobs". Even though MLS is (these days, thank god) football played by FIFA rules, it's not a carbon copy of everyone's beloved Premiership (the most overhyped league in the world, it's a competition between four teams) so it doesn't really count.

MartinUtd
08-13-2008, 11:47 PM
Dichio was a major part of Millwall's FA Cup final run (if anyone here remembers waaaay back to 2004, when Chelsea were nothing more than another mid-table club and Michael Owen was able to play more than a couple matches in a row without suffering another season-ending injury... with Liverpool), Ricketts was a big prospect at Arsenal and Spurs. Sometimes players just need a change of scenery to get them motivated again, don't make such gross generalizations.

If Ricketts picks up his game then I guarantee you he will go back to England for the big money. He knows he has a fall back plan here so it'll be an easier decision. Look at Andy Welsh, he went back to the CCC after his change of scenery and still couldn't cut it, so that only ads to the argument that we're no higher than League One material. This still doesn't change the fact that he and Dichio were released from their respective teams after riding the bench all season.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that Dichio and Ricketts are a part of TFC, but I'm not going to delude myself into thinking that the product on the field is something its not.

There is no debate until after the CBA.

toonarmy
08-13-2008, 11:55 PM
I haven't looked over this whole thread, but I find it amusing that people are judging the fans based on how their team is doing, as if the top 4 in the Premiership have the best fans, and they get progressively worse as the team falls down the rankings.

nascarguy
08-14-2008, 12:02 AM
I'm sorry, but there's no way I would consider us top 4 in terms of support in comparison to clubs like Liverpool, United etc. There are clubs in the Coca Cola Championship and even League 1 who are better. Sure, we're good in comparison to the other MLS clubs, but we have a long way to go before we can consider ourselves the elite.
yeah

Daveisonfire
08-14-2008, 12:19 AM
I haven't looked over this whole thread, but I find it amusing that people are judging the fans based on how their team is doing, as if the top 4 in the Premiership have the best fans, and they get progressively worse as the team falls down the rankings.

lol beat me too it...so...QFT:D

Derko
08-14-2008, 05:41 AM
I would have thought that the Style of Play would be the most discussed comment as I think it should be. The key here is that TFC play at a Upper League 1 to Lower CCC calibre, right now, remember that it takes time to develop a Club and League, I am patient, unlike some others.

Cheers

Chadders
08-14-2008, 09:43 AM
We have trouble trying to get more then one section singing together.

Just like us at Wembley on Sunday then...that was AWFUL!!!!!!!

Vindaloo
08-14-2008, 11:49 AM
In regards to the stadium it would have to be compared to anything below 23k capacity in the Championship, the lower third of the board. Everything below Reading(24k), Preston(24k), although Norwich(26k) does look a bit crap.