PDA

View Full Version : Lalas and Gullit out at LAG

Detroit_TFC
08-11-2008, 01:36 PM
LA Times: Lalas fired and Gullit resigns. Cobi Jones is the interim coach.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-galaxy12-2008aug12,0,4926526.story

Shaughno
08-11-2008, 01:37 PM
wow...

Roogsy
08-11-2008, 01:38 PM
OMG...what a debacle!

Parkdale
08-11-2008, 01:38 PM
who?

kidding.

Corpand
08-11-2008, 01:39 PM
hooooooooooooooooooly.......

Rochdale
08-11-2008, 01:41 PM
l wish AEG were the owners of TFC. They would've got rid of MO and John long ago.

Roogsy
08-11-2008, 01:42 PM
LOL!

Sure...because Lalas was there only 18 months as well right?

Phil
08-11-2008, 01:43 PM
l wish AEG were the owners of TFC. They would've got rid of MO and John long ago.

Ya like 3 years ago.

:D

They suffered a lot more than us, put some proper perspective on it. 2 DP's $50 million on 1 player and worse than expansion teams in the standings.

Azerban
08-11-2008, 01:44 PM
Holy LOL

Oblio2
08-11-2008, 01:46 PM
HA HA HA...fuck LA

graeme117
08-11-2008, 01:55 PM
with a healthy Beckham, it had been expected to contend for the MLS title. The team also failed to qualify for the U.S. Open Cup.

this killed me! i know we get accused of seeing with rose coloured glasses, but come on, everyone knew la had no defence!

Fort York Redcoat
08-11-2008, 01:56 PM
As funny as it is to our lot this makes our league look a joke.

...Granted only to people who know nothing about our game but still...

TFC USA
08-11-2008, 01:57 PM
Beckham's team falling apart? I'm getting a fuzzy feeling inside.

giambac
08-11-2008, 01:58 PM

If La can do it so should MLSE. We still can salvage the season. Mo hasn't been able to deliver on our striker problems and he hasn't brought in a DP. Carver's poor record and his constant wining speaks for itself and nothing esle needs to be said.

Follow LA footsteps and get rid of both of them. Bring in some Canadian management.

RPB_Brantford_08
08-11-2008, 01:59 PM
la gALAXY mls VERSION OF THE tORONTO mAPLE lEAFS!!!

Roogsy
08-11-2008, 01:59 PM
LOL!

Because Canadian management have shown to have such a long successful record of managing top tier football clubs.

This board just floors me.

Roogsy
08-11-2008, 02:00 PM
la gALAXY mls VERSION OF THE tORONTO mAPLE lEAFS!!!

Except they have actually won the championship more than anyone else save for DC United.

Next?

shwade
LOL.

AL-MO
If La can do it so should MLSE. We still can salvage the season. Mo hasn't been able to deliver on our striker problems and he hasn't brought in a DP. Carver's poor record and his constant wining speaks for itself and nothing esle needs to be said.

Follow LA footsteps and get rid of both of them. Bring in some Canadian management.

Who exactly?

MartinUtd
08-11-2008, 02:02 PM
A sign that Gullit might be on his way out came a couple of weeks ago when he sold his house. At the time, Gullit said merely that his wife had not liked it, denying that it meant he was leaving.

Gullit is leaving before the housing meltdown hits the upper class

Damien
08-11-2008, 02:02 PM
Lalas shoulda traded Becks for a bag of peanuts before he got canned out of spite! :D

nimamalek
08-11-2008, 02:03 PM

why dont you cry some more?

Ossington Mental Youth
08-11-2008, 02:03 PM
Bout time they canned Lalas. I think Gullit shoulda stayed but im sure that he had had enough of the MLS nonsense.
Id put money on Cobi staying.
They are done for the year.

Beach_Red
08-11-2008, 02:05 PM
Follow LA footsteps and get rid of both of them.

Yeah, well, let's see where those footsteps lead...

giambac
08-11-2008, 02:06 PM
LOL!

Because Canadian management have shown to have such a long successful record of managing top tier football clubs.

This board just floors me.
I'll take Vancouver and Montreal impact management over ours.

I'd take the Vaughan Italia (azzuri) managemment who demloished our reserves 4-0 over our managment. Why aren't some of the players from Vaughan at least on our reserve team? Because our management can't scout talent. They waste their time in the English Channel while our team is drowning.

shwade
08-11-2008, 02:06 PM
If Gullit left because he didn't like the MLS' way of doing things and Carver leaves after this season for the same thing, hopefully it sends a message to the league to change things up soon.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-11-2008, 02:09 PM
Lets hope noone else hires that douche Lalas

Roogsy
08-11-2008, 02:10 PM
Gullit is leaving before the housing meltdown hits the upper class

LOL!

Can't blame him...the money is in Europe and Asia right now.

jloome
08-11-2008, 02:15 PM
Wow, Gullit resigns despite being handed a team with no defense whatsoever and no means to fix it. MLS, it must be said, is a real joke sometimes.

Fort York Redcoat
08-11-2008, 02:15 PM
Becks player manager.:)

rocker
08-11-2008, 02:20 PM
Lalas has always seemed more like a talker than someone who can accomplish success.
With San Jose, he didn't win anything (the MLS Cup wins came under different GMs before him).
In NY, he was a transitional GM, but still they didn't do much.
Then in LA his teams have yet to make the playoffs, plus he's gone through 2 head coaches in 2 seasons.

At some point people have to think this guy really doesn't know how to GM a team.

Whoop
08-11-2008, 02:21 PM
Or maybe there is some truth to what Abel Xavier was saying about Gullit just "not getting it" in how to deal with American players.

koryo
08-11-2008, 02:23 PM
So for once, FC Hollywood is... Hollywood :)

TFC07
08-11-2008, 02:40 PM
This is funny! :D

Dub Narcotic
08-11-2008, 02:46 PM

How is this any worse than Real Madrid or Barcelona changing coaches every year? MLS is much less ridiculous than a lot of the European leagues when it come to management, unless you enjoy out-of-control directors, transfer raids conducted through newspapers, throwing games, owners who are indicted ex-heads of states, managers taking secret backhanders over transfers, fans threatening referees, players and coaches, etc...

Roogsy
08-11-2008, 02:48 PM
I agree with Dub. The changing of the coach and manager is simply a result of a team underachieving and it happens in every league and every sport.

The problem here is that the Galaxy are the marquee team of the league, and if they are in distress, the marketing of this league suffers.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-11-2008, 02:52 PM
I do think Jones will be half decent and worth holding on to as hes been there forever and knows the ins and outs of the leagueand team

Damien
08-11-2008, 02:52 PM
Maybe now Lalas will have time to grow a grizzley beard again?
http://www.metrofanatic.com/img/more/hair/alexi_lalas__3.gif

Detroit_TFC
08-11-2008, 02:57 PM
How is this any worse than Real Madrid or Barcelona changing coaches every year? MLS is much less ridiculous than a lot of the European leagues when it come to management, unless you enjoy out-of-control directors, transfer raids conducted through newspapers, throwing games, owners who are indicted ex-heads of states, managers taking secret backhanders over transfers, fans threatening referees, players and coaches, etc...

:lol:

Imagine if a Russian oligarch bought an MLS team! People like Jim Rome would call for Congressional action.

maninb
08-11-2008, 02:57 PM

Once again you prove you know not only sh*t about the game of football, but also nothing on how to run a team...Sure I wish Mo could have done better, but bringing in a Canadian would DECREASE our chances of getting good talent..and your hatred/predjudice of Carver from day one is well known..He's made some mistakes but given what he has to work with, he deserves at least another year...perhaps tiddly-winks is more your game...cause you know sweet f-all about football.

Roogsy
08-11-2008, 02:59 PM
Maybe now Lalas will have time to grow a grizzley beard again?
http://www.metrofanatic.com/img/more/hair/alexi_lalas__3.gif

It's a shame Lalas has ruined his reputation in US soccer this way. He had built himself as an American soccer pioneer. A part of the generation that helped bring soccer back into the American consciousness. Now he is just a fumbling executive...

Beach_Red
08-11-2008, 03:11 PM
Wow, Gullit resigns despite being handed a team with no defense whatsoever and no means to fix it. MLS, it must be said, is a real joke sometimes.

Well, he must have had some idea before he took the job how the league worked, no?

(btw, this is the second post of yours I've replied to in the past few minutes and really, I like your posts. this is some kind of exception).

Roogsy
08-11-2008, 03:13 PM
Well, he must have had some idea before he took the job how the league worked, no?

(btw, this is the second post of yours I've replied to in the past few minutes and really, I like your posts. this is some kind of exception).

I am not sure. I think Gullit took the job for one reason only. Money. Not only the money they were offering him, but the image of living in swanky LA (which isn't even that swanky for the most part).

I don't think he knew what he was getting himself into.

jloome
08-11-2008, 03:26 PM
I don't think anyone in football "checks out" the MLS before they sign on; they're all convinced that football is handled the same way the world over...because it is. MLS' artificial market constraints, designed to help the league build slowly, make it the exception, not the rule. I imagine after coaching here for awhile, Gullit looked at his other options and thought "why stay in such a dog and pony show, where the richest club can't buy the players it needs to win?"

Oh and Beach, don't sweat it dude! I'm wrong frequently, so it's good when people call me on it; learning experience and all that.

rocker
08-11-2008, 03:31 PM
from the articles I read where Gullit was quoted, I got a sense that he was damn frustrated about players in this league. He talked once about there were 20-somethings out of college who he had to teach basic skills to (Buddle maybe!?!?).
He sounded like this kind of teaching was beneath him at this stage of his career. I think maybe the ego couldn't take it.

Mikey
08-11-2008, 03:35 PM

LMAO!

Don Cherry for TFC manager!!!

RealG-TFC
08-11-2008, 03:37 PM
LOL cobi

Roogsy
08-11-2008, 03:47 PM
from the articles I read where Gullit was quoted, I got a sense that he was damn frustrated about players in this league. He talked once about there were 20-somethings out of college who he had to teach basic skills to (Buddle maybe!?!?).
He sounded like this kind of teaching was beneath him at this stage of his career. I think maybe the ego couldn't take it.

This sounds about right.

Imagine being a European manager and being used to 16 year olds coming out of academies almost match-ready and then coming here and seeing 22 year olds who are nowhere near as ready as the European kids. It's a problem I am not sure North American can fix.

Maybe we can cut Carver some slack since he is at least sticking with us and trying to build. After all, LA and Toronto are in similar spots (excluding the Beckham factor) and Gullit is gone but Carver wants to try to make it work.

I think we got the better between the two. Maybe Gullit is more talented, but Carver has the will.

loconet
08-11-2008, 03:57 PM
How can we benefit from this sinking boat.

Any pieces you guys would like to us snatch?

In a koo-koo world, I wouldn't mind becks (he being here might convince city council / MLSE to invest in grass and the argos can finally fuck off) as long as he doesn't come as DP :cool::lol:

Beach_Red
08-11-2008, 04:01 PM
Imagine being a European manager and being used to 16 year olds coming out of academies almost match-ready and then coming here and seeing 22 year olds who are nowhere near as ready as the European kids. It's a problem I am not sure North American can fix.

You may be right. Certainly the Americans are pretty set on their kids going to school and developing through NCAA. They probably even make kids on soccer scholarships go to class.

Remember that article awhile ago about the guy from Toronto coaching the hockey team in Carver's hometown back in England? He must be going through the same thing over there....

jloome
08-11-2008, 04:02 PM
can fix.

Maybe we can cut Carver some slack since he is at least sticking with us and trying to build. .

And maybe we can all also recognize that Carver has been placed in a position quite alien: he's surrounded by pros who can mostly do the job, but have some glaring holes and shortcomings in their games that just wouldn't cause problems elsewhere, because they wouldn't exist.

So he has to totally change his approach to coaching from waht he's accustomed to in Europe and maybe hold a lot more hands than he expected. Looked at in that light, he's not doing so badly.

rocker
08-11-2008, 04:05 PM
somebody on another board said that Carver seems like the kind of guy who would actually work well with young players who need teaching and inspiration, contrary to Gullit.

Detroit_TFC
08-11-2008, 04:22 PM
I cannot believe that Gullit didn't know what he was getting into. Either he was on an ego trip thinking he could bring the balance of LAGs roster up to a point where they could be an effective supporting unit for DB and landi-kakes. Or, knowing that he started with a shit team, thought that he could wheel and deal and get the players he needed.

This is a big mess for the league. Garber and Co. placed a huge bet on making the LAG into a international marquee team and its coming off the rails. This also hurts David Beckham, Inc.; his reaction will say a lot about how this will shake out.

Roogsy
08-11-2008, 04:25 PM
I think the consequences could be good though.

The league needs to make Beckham happy and they can't do it if the DP slot takes up 1/5th of the salary cap.

My guess is that next year, the salarcy cap gets increased by more than the measly 2% they did it this year. I hope we see it hit close to 3mill. If that is the case, than this disaster will be good for the league to wake it up from it's duldrums. If they don't do this, then they will not have learned their lesson.

Red CB Toronto
08-11-2008, 04:26 PM
Maybe Becks is the next one to go, who knows, but a return to a big side in Europe would be huge for him.

Roogsy
08-11-2008, 04:26 PM
And a disaster for this league.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-11-2008, 04:37 PM
Im sure Becks will stay and honor his contract. Dude is rolling in dosh and stardom, plus Sticky Vicky is soaking up attention in hollywood. Some suggest Arena will be hired, wouldnt be surprised there. There is defo going be a team change for the better

v00d00daddy
08-11-2008, 04:38 PM

It's not any worse than a coaching flip flop in Europe. The problem with the L.A. news is that a very prominent figure in football just left the flagship franchise of a league that is trying to build credibility. Gullit is going to go back to Europe and say nothing good about the league.

As for all the negatives you cited above....yeah that shit sucks....but what about empty stadiums, soccer mom fans in all the cities (except 1) and the worst image in the media imaginable. There are many things that MLS can learn from Europe and South Amercia.

zeelaw
08-11-2008, 04:47 PM
holy shit!

Bobo
08-11-2008, 04:53 PM
Except they have actually won the championship more than anyone else save for DC United.

Next?

Erm the same can be said for the Leafs....

profit89
08-11-2008, 07:22 PM
http://www.soccerbyives.net/photos/uncategorized/2008/08/03/ruud_gullit_isiphotoscom_2.jpg

ensco
08-11-2008, 08:08 PM
Im sure Becks will stay and honor his contract. Dude is rolling in dosh and stardom, plus Sticky Vicky is soaking up attention in hollywood. Some suggest Arena will be hired, wouldnt be surprised there. There is defo going be a team change for the better

"Dude" has an opt-out at the end of this MLS year. He could be in the EPL by January. I'd bet on it, personally.

Inswingingwingman
08-11-2008, 08:08 PM
Real Grass? The refs use real grass before every game.

You want some toxic shite smoke real turf.

I posted this in the news thread a while back thinking it belonged there.......

Maybe we should draft Mats Sundein, Steve Nash and Kathyrn Humphries. Put her at center back and watch the opposition lose their concentration........

S

Roogsy
08-11-2008, 08:20 PM
Erm the same can be said for the Leafs....

The gals have won it in recent memory, the Leafs haven't. How are they similar?

Ossington Mental Youth
08-11-2008, 09:12 PM
"Dude" has an opt-out at the end of this MLS year. He could be in the EPL by January. I'd bet on it, personally.

I guess we will just wait and see then wont we.
Should be interesting to see what Dude does.

RPB_Brantford_08
08-11-2008, 09:24 PM

I wouldn't..he likes the money hes getting here, and he wants to own a MLS franchise after his playing days are done. Not much chance of the latter happening if he bails on the league. the Galaxy put too much on three players trying to win the MLS Cup..they still might do it, but they need to build around Becks with top US talent.

ag futbol
08-11-2008, 09:25 PM
We heard the same rumours about Beckham leaving last year, I doubt it's happening.

Despite the money EPL teams have he is worth more money to MLS than to an EPL team. His sponsors are going to tell that to him as well.

TheRenter
08-11-2008, 10:46 PM

agreed,..on both counts

Azerban
08-11-2008, 10:53 PM
Holy LOL

reposting this shit from page 1

professor
08-12-2008, 01:48 AM
in emails from NCAA & NSCAA contacts....

Gullit resigned Monday morning
Gullit and Lalas had developed mutual disrespect for each other
Both Lalas and Liewieke brought players in
Gullit often out of the loop, re player acquisitions, trades, loans, etc.
Gullit treated players like sh!t, got fed up with too vast of a talent pool
Gullit says WTF! Puts house up for sale in mid July, house sold on Saturday

Gullit was not hired by Lalas, hired by AEG CEO Liewieke, on a referral from the Beckham group to coach - he was hired in November, but made his debut at training camp in January after the draft. fwiw, I can confirm that Gullit was not sitting at the LAG table during the 2008 draft, I was sitting about 35 feet away from their table

AEG Mgmt (Liewieke) fired Lalas later in the day, his contract was up at season's end - why wait!

Jones is Liewieke's conduit, and will probably finish season as interim coach

lots of similarities between LAG & TFC

Liewieke & Peddie are idiots when it comes to sports (hockey (LA Kings) & soccer) but very astute business men

Lalas & Johnson are out of their depth

similarities end

Gullit's a quitter; and Carver's a fighter.

ensco
08-12-2008, 06:53 AM
I would add this to the professor's comment about Lalas and Johnson being out of their depth: don't forget that the two of them are close.

They played together in KC, and Lalas hired Johnson in New York.

Wouldn't surprise me to see him pop up here in some capacity.

jloome
08-12-2008, 07:35 AM
That'll be the end of Mo if it happens. It's hard for people in the business world to see these things with any objectivity because it's customary in that world to never say shit even if you've got a mouthful, but Lalas comes with Cunningham-cancer-like baggage at this point.

It's also worth noting Mo probably didn't do himself any favours with his team when he suggested Cunningham might end out staying if he kept playing hard, in an obvious attempt to cover his own butt for not being able to get another striker in. That kind of stuff is getting pretty old.

ensco
08-12-2008, 08:57 AM
It's also worth noting Mo probably didn't do himself any favours with his team when he suggested Cunningham might end out staying if he kept playing hard, in an obvious attempt to cover his own butt for not being able to get another striker in. That kind of stuff is getting pretty old.

This is what you/we see. Here's what MLSE sees:

- team is competitive (more wins after 19 games than they got in 30 games last year)
- profits increased 2008 vs 2007 (added Canada Cup games were near sellouts, plus friendlies were much less costly)
- lots of press around what a genius Mo is at the draft, plus he's still dining out on stealing Marvell from the Red Bulls

Mo is safe for now, even if the other league GMs snicker at his overall player acquisition record

Roogsy
08-12-2008, 09:07 AM
Comparing Mo to Lalas? I know people have a problem with Mo, but come on, you can't compare the destruction of TWO franchises by Lalas to Mo's building effort which so far, hasn't been a failure if not a complete success. Lalas has had two of the biggest franchises in MLS at his discretion, all the money and facilities he needs and the ability to attract the biggest star in football. And yet he failed.

Mo has been using a conservative building plan, with a fraction of the budget at the Galaxy, in a new franchise with no grass, in a city that no one wants to play soccer in.

And we are going to say both are similar? In what sense?

Beach_Red
08-12-2008, 09:11 AM
MLSE was probably also well aware how difficult it would be to sign players to an expansion team in Canada - at least for the first couple of years.

Maybe they underestimated what an effect the turf would have, maybe not.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-12-2008, 09:23 AM
Comparing Mo to Lalas? I know people have a problem with Mo, but come on, you can't compare the destruction of TWO franchises by Lalas to Mo's building effort which so far, hasn't been a failure if not a complete success. Lalas has had two of the biggest franchises in MLS at his discretion, all the money and facilities he needs and the ability to attract the biggest star in football. And yet he failed.

Mo has been using a conservative building plan, with a fraction of the budget at the Galaxy, in a new franchise with no grass, in a city that no one wants to play soccer in.

And we are going to say both are similar? In what sense?

Yes.
Thank you.
The two are not even remotely comparable.
Sure Mo MAY (and i use that hesitantly because the week isnt over yet) have failed to get us the striker we need to possibly make it to the playoffs but that has been for the most part his only shortcoming this season. Overall hes done quite well as far as player/coach acquisition is concerned and i think its ridiculous to compare him to Alexi Lalas who single handedly took apart a team with great promise.

Bobo
08-12-2008, 10:31 AM
The gals have won it in recent memory, the Leafs haven't. How are they similar?

Because they have won more times than any other team, save one. It's actually exactly the same as you said. :D

Roogsy
08-12-2008, 10:33 AM
I think you're overlooking the point on purpose, which adds nothing to the dialogue.

Bobo
08-12-2008, 10:51 AM
I think you're overlooking the point on purpose, which adds nothing to the dialogue.

I'm not overlooking anything.

Next?
You were stating what you felt to be fact (next?) and didn't have your facts right, that's all. You brought up history, so I corrected your history.

How does:

LA have won the championship more than anyone else save for DC United

differ from:

The Leafs have won the championship more than anyone else save for Montreal

?

Statistically, the Leafs have won 13% of the league's championships, while LA has won 16%, so not a big difference. Leafs take enough bashing that's deserved, let alone undeserved.

Whatever....

Beach_Red
08-12-2008, 10:58 AM
I know it's just me, but I don't count anything in baseball from before 1947 when it was all-white and I don't count anything in hockey from before 1967 when there were only six teams and really, only Montreal, Toronto and Detroit ever really won anything.

It's kind of like that, the Fire won the MLS championship in the first year argument - every other team was only in its second year.

But, back on point, TFC is still getting better, hitting some bumps on the road and working on them and LA aren't.

Bobo
08-12-2008, 11:03 AM
The Galaxy were an original team too, before expansion. Dang, maybe RPB_Brantford_08 was right in the first place.:D

But whatever the case, ML$E can laugh at another franchise for a change.

Roogsy
08-12-2008, 11:07 AM
I know it's just me, but I don't count anything in baseball from before 1947 when it was all-white and I don't count anything in hockey from before 1967 when there were only six teams and really, only Montreal, Toronto and Detroit ever really won anything.

It's kind of like that, the Fire won the MLS championship in the first year argument - every other team was only in its second year.

But, back on point, TFC is still getting better, hitting some bumps on the road and working on them and LA aren't.

This is the way I am thinking. When it's convenient, people say the Leaf Stanley Cup wins are before expansion, but when it's convenient, they say it's still Stanley Cup wins. All I know is I am 30 and they have never won in my lifetime.

The Gals won last in what, 2002? A much different case.

jloome
08-12-2008, 12:59 PM
This is what you/we see. Here's what MLSE sees:

- team is competitive (more wins after 19 games than they got in 30 games last year)
- profits increased 2008 vs 2007 (added Canada Cup games were near sellouts, plus friendlies were much less costly)
- lots of press around what a genius Mo is at the draft, plus he's still dining out on stealing Marvell from the Red Bulls

Mo is safe for now, even if the other league GMs snicker at his overall player acquisition record

I hardly think they're going to attribute the team's profits to mo or the team's performance. That would be asinine, as there's no suggested correlation.

Plus, the team is only marginally more competitive, and only after Mo agreed to step aside from coaching -- which he wasn't really even willing to do, by staying on the sidelines.

And I don't think MLSE gives a hoot one way or another about the Marvell Wynnes of the world; as you point out, the owners care about money, and Marvell Wynne isn't putting butts in the seats.

No, I have to disagree on this one, Ensco. Not every organization is so lacking in proactivity that they can't recognize problems during the financial good times; his ongoing inability to sign players when other teams (including those playing on field turf) have been able to do so has to be ticking someone off the front office. On top of that, it's obvious now to them that he was full of it at the field level last year, compared with the structure that Carver has put in place, so that will have engendered some distrust as well.

I think you're right to an extent, which is that the team's financial and fanbase stability gives him more time than he would otherwise get. But if we struggle througha third year of both mediocre performances and a lack of new talent, his leash will get shorter.

Beach_Red
08-12-2008, 02:13 PM
No, I have to disagree on this one, Ensco. Not every organization is so lacking in proactivity that they can't recognize problems during the financial good times; his ongoing inability to sign players when other teams (including those playing on field turf) have been able to do so has to be ticking someone off the front office.

Is TFC really so much behind other teams in signing available players this year?

Also, they would have to consider who to bring in and what kind of contract to offer - and who would accept it. If the team, in only its second year, gets a reputation for panic and meddling from the front office it will certainly reduce the pool of experienced managers willing to come on board.

I mean, they already have the Leafs being turned down by all the quality coaches and GMs....

Ossington Mental Youth
08-14-2008, 11:00 PM
Apparently that fatfuck moron Bruce Arena is in LA for the Chivas-Galaxy game.
Im guessing new coach

sidvan
08-14-2008, 11:10 PM
yeah that 's true...AEG guy Tim W all but confirmed it too the announcers on the LA Chivas game in the first half

for those who care 1-0 LAG up at half time

sidvan
08-14-2008, 11:16 PM
1-1 50th minute

2-1 for Chivas 63rd minute

professor
08-15-2008, 10:55 PM
1st MLS coach to have 3rd tour of duty = Bruce Arena

DC United (1996-98)
NY Red Bulls (2006-07)
LA Galaxy (2008)
http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_b...to-be-nam.html (http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_b...to-be-nam.html)
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soc...rena_ball.html (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soc...rena_ball.html)

Cobi also to be retained an assistant

rocker
08-16-2008, 09:41 AM
Is TFC really so much behind other teams in signing available players this year?

nope.. there's a thread on Big Soccer that lists the incoming and outgoing players during this season, and TFC have not been any less active than most teams. A couple teams have made a lot of moves: New York, San Jose, NE, and Dallas. San Jose is not surprising, since their team was not settled. Just like TFC did last year, they've brought in and kicked out a lot of guys.

8 MLS teams have actually made fewer signings than TFC has, including three that have worse records than TFC does.

Source: http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=724134&page=7

Since most TFC fans don't follow other MLS teams closely, they seem to think TFC has been slower in signings, but really TFC is just about average in terms of bringing players in during the season.

ginkster88
08-16-2008, 08:06 PM
I mean, they already have the Leafs being turned down by all the quality coaches and GMs....

Seriously off-topic but... dude, everyone knows that Fletcher is keeping the seat warm for Burke, who (deservedly or not... another issue entirely) is considered to be one of the best GMs around. He would be here now if LA had released him from his contract.