PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Sunday, Aug.10

denime
08-10-2008, 07:29 AM
Barrett's kick boosts Reds over Rapids
Free kick in the 44th minute converts to 1-0 TFC win against Colorado

COMMERCE CITY, Colo. -- It's not how many chances you have, it's how many you convert. On a sweltering Colorado afternoon, Toronto FC, despite a lack of a consistent offensive attack, prevailed 1-0 against a 10-man Colorado Rapids, as Chad Barrett's free kick goal in the 44th minute proved the difference in a physical interconference game. Barrett's goal, his first since coming to Toronto FC in a trade with the Chicago Fire for Brian McBride, was enough to give the Reds just their second victory of the season away from BMO Field. It was a second consecutive frustrating loss for the Rapids, shut out for a second game where they owned a massive advantage in attempts at goal.
Referee Richard Heron showed eight yellow cards for the contest, including a second to Colorado's Colin Clark in the 70th minute, which left the home side a man down. Despite the disadvantage, the Rapids pressed for a late equalizer, but TFC was able to hold firm.
The Rapids held a 21-8 edge in total shots and a 10-2 advantage in shots on goal, but Toronto were still able to end a seven-game winless run. In the Rapids' last game, a 2-0 loss to a 10-man Columbus Crew, they held a 23-5 advantage in shots and a 7-3 edge on target. But Colorado still has won just once in their last nine league games.

Read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080809&content_id=178907&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

Reds overcome omens, Rapids in win
Toronto beats Western Conference opponent on road

COMMERCE CITY, Colo. -- Saturday afternoon's contest against the Colorado Rapids was full of bad omens for Toronto FC. Playing on the road (where they have not won since April), against a Western Conference team (an opponent they haven't recorded a win against since June), and forced to start many reserve players, conditions seemed ripe for TFC to run their winless streak to seven games. Looking at the statistics, one would be forgiven if there was the impression that the game went as poorly for Toronto as the omens forecasted: outshot 21-8, putting only two shots on goal (to Colorado's 11), giving up five corner kicks while only taking one.
But in the only measure that counts -- goals -- Toronto FC prevailed, beating Colorado 1-0 courtesy of a Chad Barrett free kick goal.
"We were up against it before the game; we have not made too much of about it and we've just gone on with the job," said Toronto coach John Carver. "The young guys have stepped in there and I'm proud of them. They've done a great job for Toronto and I hope everyone back in Canada and Toronto in particular are very proud of them, because I am."
Sporting a lineup missing many of its key performers, Toronto was forced to feature several of their reserve and developmental players, who played a solid game in earning the win.
"It means a lot for the guys who have been on the bench and the reserve team to take advantage of our chance to play," said fullback Julius James, making only his fifth start of the season.

Read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080809&content_id=178933&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

Sutton shuts the door as TFC ends win drought
Veteran keeper makes 10 saves for shutout

Associated Press

COMMERCE CITY, COLO.–Greg Sutton made 10 saves and Chad Barrett scored an unassisted goal in the 44th minute to give short-handed Toronto FC a 1-0 victory over the Colorado Rapids yesterday.
It was the first win for Toronto (7-8-4) in 10 tries, including three games in the qualifying tournament for this fall's CONCACAF Champions League.
It also marked a rare road victory for Toronto, which hadn't won away from BMO Field since a 3-2 victory on April 13 at the Los Angeles Galaxy.
Toronto played without midfielder Amado Guevara and defender Marco Velez, who were serving suspensions.
Toronto coach John Carver was impressed by his short-handed team's performance.

read more (http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Soccer/article/475608)

Decimated Toronto FC finds a way to survive Rapids
Missing 5 regulars and playing with 2 teens didn't stop inspired club

Every so often a contest comes along that confirms the old sporting saw that there's a reason why games aren't played on paper.
Out in the 39 degree heat and mile-high altitude of Colorado, two teenagers, four other youngsters under 25 and a smattering of veterans pulled off an improbable 1-0 road victory for Toronto FC over the host Rapids despite missing five regulars at the start and losing a sixth to injury just 30 minutes in.
The victory, only the second on the road this year, was keyed by Chad Barrett's beautiful set-piece goal just two-minutes from half and some stalwart goalkeeping courtesy of Greg Sutton.
But it was the spirit of TFC's young colts who kept the three points in the visitor's pockets.
Toronto improved to 7-8-4 and moved into a fourth place tie with DC United in the MLS Eastern Conference, though DC has two games in hand.
Colorado, playing with 10 men the last 30 minutes, is 1-5-3 in its last eight and falling fast.

Read more (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2008/08/09/torontofc-victory.html)

Canadian women's soccer team earns draw with China

The Canadian women's soccer team turned in a strong performance against the host nation China in Group E action Saturday, but was forced to settle for a 1-1 draw before a noisy crowd of 60,000 at Tianjin Olympic Centre Stadium.
Canadian Captain Christine Sinclair of Burnaby, B.C., opened the scoring for Canada in the 34th minute, while China's Xu Yuan replied two minutes later.
"Playing that well, with the crowd behind China, quieting them … it's a great feeling," Sinclair said after the game.
Both teams now sit atop the standings in Group E with four points, while Sweden is right behind them with three points after earning a 1-0 win over Argentina earlier Saturday.
Canada will play Sweden, the third-ranked team in the world, in a pivotal match on Tuesday, the same day China will face winless Argentina.
The top two teams in each of the three Olympic groups advance to the quarter-finals, with the next two best teams squeezing into contention.

Read more (http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/soccer/story/2008/08/09/soccer-can-chn.html)

TFC ends drought, picks up road win
By THE CANADIAN PRESS

COMMERCE CITY, Colo. -- Greg Sutton made 10 saves and Chad Barrett scored an unassisted goal in the 44th minute to give short-handed Toronto FC a 1-0 Major League Soccer victory over the Colorado Rapids yesterday.
It was the first win for TFC (7-8-4) in 10 tries, including three games in the qualifying tournament for this fall's CONCACAF Champions League.
It also marked a rare road victory for Toronto, which hasn't won away from BMO Field since a 3-2 victory on April 13 at the Los Angeles Galaxy.
"The longer you go without a win on the road, people start doubting you," Toronto FC coach John Carver said. "The one thing you'll find with us is I'll never give up. This is the biggest challenge I've ever had, and every one of us in the dressing room has stepped up and have done a great job.
"When your back's up against it, the strong come out fighting, and that's what we've done today."

Read more (http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/OtherSports/2008/08/10/6403101-sun.html)

Goal by Barrett lifts Toronto FC over Colorado

COMMERCE CITY, Colorado -- Forward Chad Barrett scored the game's only goal late in the first half Saturday as Toronto FC snapped a six-game winless streak with a 1-0 victory over the Colorado Rapids.Playing in his third game since being acquired from Chicago on July 27, Barrett tallied in the 44th minute on a free kick for his sixth goal of the season.
Toronto FC (7-8-4), which had been 0-4-2 in its previous six contests, recorded its first win since a 3-1 home win over Colorado on June 14. It has scored only 21 goals in its 19 games.
From 20 yards out, Barrett drilled his shot past Colorado goalkeeper Bouna Coundoul into the upper left corner of the goal, giving Toronto only its second road win of the year.
"We're very happy," Toronto FC midfielder Carl Robinson said. "It was a big performance for us with a lot of guys missing. The young lads did well."
Colorado (6-10-3) had a huge edge in play with a 21-8 edge in shots, but Toronto FC goalkeeper Greg Sutton made 10 saves for the shutout, his sixth of the year. The Rapids dropped to 1-5-3 in their last nine matches.

Read more (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=252002&cc=5901)

http://i35.tinypic.com/2nqcgv4.jpg

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/SUNshineGirl/home.html)

London
08-10-2008, 07:38 AM
so as of right now, we are in the playoffs in the west

Razcle
08-10-2008, 08:09 AM
Sunshine girls shirt should say ANTI-HOOTERS

Bobo
08-10-2008, 10:28 AM
She's pretty hot still.....don't tell me she wouldn't get a breakfast the next morning.

BritSOL
08-10-2008, 10:54 AM
She's pretty hot still.....don't tell me she wouldn't get a breakfast the next morning.

As long as she cooks it!!

Wolfe
08-10-2008, 11:13 AM
Anyone else notice that McBride didn't play for Shitcago?

Anyone know why?

cuecas_red
08-10-2008, 11:18 AM
Anyone else notice that McBride didn't play for Shitcago?

Anyone know why?
he is in China for the Olympics

rocker
08-10-2008, 02:01 PM
and I believe if USA at least ties their next game, McBride will be in china even longer.
doesn't help us either (since edu and wynne will still be away) but just in terms of the trade, we keep benefiting while they wait.

RicoSuave44
08-10-2008, 03:41 PM

Aren't we in playoff position now? First 3 teams in each division then the next best two, yes? We would take the 8th and final spot if the playoffs began today. C'mon TFC fight and hang in there!:canada:

Marco2K
08-10-2008, 03:57 PM
Its funny the sunshine girl works at hooters in barrie

we saw her afew weeks ago.

GOOD TO GO!!

Chevy
08-10-2008, 04:31 PM
Anybody notice only three teams have more road wins that TFC?

Baggio2TFC
08-10-2008, 04:35 PM
Is it not, top 2 in each group go through and then next 4? I think we are out right now cause of goal dif. and games in hand...no?

rocker
08-10-2008, 05:01 PM
top three in each division get in... then they pick the next best 2.
the playoff rankings are still based on points tho..

we're in 8th right now according to that method...

and the DC NY game on right now doesn't really matter to that order.

here's the way I have it:

NY 33 (east1)
CHI 32 (east 2)
CREW 31 (east 3)
RSL 27 (west 1)
HOU 26 (west 2)
FCD 25 (west 3)
DC 25
TFC 25

-------

KC 25 -- (KC has worse goal diff than TFC)

but I think the tied teams actually are decided on record against each other, not goal diff.. I
have to check

EDIT: my memory was correct.. tiebreaker on points is NOT goal differential... it's the combined points against each other amongst the teams tied in overall points. this is retarded because DC hasn't played dallas.. but if you wanted to do it this way, you'd have this ranking:

1. NY 33 (east1)
2. CHI 32 (east 2)
3. CREW 31 (east 3)
4. RSL 27 (west 1)
5. HOU 26 (west 2)
6. DC 25 (most points of the teams tied at 25)
7. TFC 25 (second most points of the teams tied at 25)
8. FCD 25 (west 3, fewest points of the teams tied at 25, but gets in automatically as third in west)

-------

9. KC 25 (more points than FCD amongst the teams tied at 25, but FCD gets automatic entry

HOLY COW THAT'S CONFUSING!

SOURCE: http://www.settingthetable.info/simpleblog/default.asp

rocker
08-10-2008, 05:25 PM
so if NY beats DC tonight the permutations get even crazier, since they would be at 25 points too and you'd have to sit down and calculate the records of NY against those four teams tied at 25... I won't bother.

Rawkus_420
08-10-2008, 07:12 PM

I dont know if someone has replied to this already, but I believe we would be in the 8th playoff spot right now. Three from each conference and two wild cards right??

denime
08-10-2008, 07:40 PM
Well, now that redbullareshit swamp DC 4-1 they have 25 points too but we have better goal difference and DC is still 25 and one game to play.
i think playoffs has already started,from now on every game count and not just for us.
It is 6 teams race DC,NYRB,KC,FCD,Chivas and TFC.

DOMIN8R
08-10-2008, 07:48 PM
:iagree::iagree:

Wolfe
08-10-2008, 08:51 PM
he is in China for the Olympics
Good call, I forgot about that.