PDA

View Full Version : Galaxy Sending Ruiz to Toronto?

Shakes McQueen
08-09-2008, 07:28 PM
Apologies if this has already been posted before. Just came across this on the Sports Illustrated "Truth & Rumours" website (originally from Washington Post):

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/61518

I hear that there has been, in fact, communication between the Galaxy and Toronto about Los Angeles forward Carlos Ruiz. The Galaxy has been trying to move him for quite some time and TFC, which just acquired forward Chad Barrett from Chicago and can't rely on Cunningham, might look for additional firepower for the stretch run.

Cunningham departing since the story, would seem to potentially make it more likely.

What do you think? Would Ruiz be even a partial-answer to our finishing problems?

- Scott

Keegan
08-09-2008, 07:31 PM
NOOOOOOOO

no no no

Torcida
08-09-2008, 07:32 PM
Makes sense.

Stryker
Not any more he wouldnt.

TFC USA
Send Landycakes and give Bill Archer a passport to Canada while you're at it.

Shakes McQueen
08-09-2008, 07:38 PM
This seems like a very possible move. Especially if what he has been hearing about communication between the two clubs is true.

- Scott

Ossington Mental Youth
08-09-2008, 07:39 PM
IF we do sign him til the end of season THATS IT.
Honestly tho dudes a guatemalan (sp?) Cunny

ag futbol
08-09-2008, 07:39 PM
Please no, he looks like he's out of shape and hasn't been in good form all year.

I'll take our chances with what we have, thanks.

Bluenose13
08-09-2008, 07:48 PM
Looks like the Galaxy fans would like rid of him just as bad as we wanted rid of Cunny.......I think we should look elsewhere.

rocker
08-09-2008, 07:57 PM
carver said this after today's game.. wonder if he was referring to Ruiz:

"And we traded Jeff [Cunningham] and we thought we were going to have another player today but that didn't materialize so it was like losing two more players.

James17930
08-09-2008, 08:02 PM
^ Unless he meant Simpson.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-09-2008, 08:04 PM
He meant Dickov

rocker
08-09-2008, 08:06 PM
maybe he could have meant Simpson, if Carver didn't know that Simpson wasn't on trial.
altho simpson himself said on the V's board he was just there to train.

RealG-TFC
08-09-2008, 08:10 PM
Noooooooooo! I If this is true I hope we trade as soon as we gets here.

Shakes McQueen
08-10-2008, 05:17 AM
Please no, he looks like he's out of shape and hasn't been in good form all year.

I'll take our chances with what we have, thanks.

You don't think he'd at least be worth throwing in the lineup, to see what he can do for us?

I mean, I suppose if worse comes to worst, we could just dump him at the conclusion of the season.

Either way, we have a bunch of unused allocation that disappears at the end of the season, and all is quiet on the Trader Mo front, now that the Dickov deal has died.

His declining production does seem to have "Cunningham, Part Deux" written all over it though. Either way, if LA are actively shopping the guy, and Toronto are actively talking about acquiring him, I'd say this move seems quite likely to happen this week.

- Scott

denime
08-10-2008, 07:37 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if this happens.

Razcle
08-10-2008, 07:57 AM
He didn't mean Simpson. Simpson wasn't on trial with TFC, he was just training.

cementhead
08-10-2008, 07:59 AM
Mo should not give up anymore then what we got form Dallas for Cunningham if he makes this move.

ag futbol
08-10-2008, 09:55 AM
You don't think he'd at least be worth throwing in the lineup, to see what he can do for us?

I mean, I suppose if worse comes to worst, we could just dump him at the conclusion of the season.

Either way, we have a bunch of unused allocation that disappears at the end of the season, and all is quiet on the Trader Mo front, now that the Dickov deal has died.

His declining production does seem to have "Cunningham, Part Deux" written all over it though. Either way, if LA are actively shopping the guy, and Toronto are actively talking about acquiring him, I'd say this move seems quite likely to happen this week.

- Scott

Honestly, no. He's looked just as bad as Jeff Cunningham all year, he wouldn't be an improvement.

Unused allocation money will roll over. If you mean the cap space, then you're right it will go unused until next season. But i can think of about 1000 better ways to use it than sign Carlos Ruiz.

LucaGol
08-10-2008, 09:58 AM
If will Carlos Ruiz comes here....I will have lost my last shread of faith in Mo Johnston as an evaluator of soccer talent....and a master crafter of a competitive soccer team.

Mo Johnston's lives too much in the world of MLS year 2003.

bhoybobby
08-10-2008, 10:12 AM
It's fine as long as it's just to the end of the season. The guy is talented, a pain in the arse & annoying, but talented. To the end of the season, if he goes goal crazy maybe give him another year.

BigLou
08-10-2008, 10:23 AM
Send Landycakes and give Bill Archer a passport to Canada while you're at it.
:lol:

poppamidnight
08-10-2008, 11:49 AM
guys, guys, guys.... lets not get ahead of ourselves here...

aside from the kick... Barrett has still looked like shiiite.......

Where the hells the attack in this guy??? we already have a right + a left boot (Guevara + Robert)...
He just seems to run a bit to where the ball is played then just quit on it... EVERYTIME (or at least a solid 95% of the time)

We still need lotsa help up front, right now as i see it our depth chart is this:

Dichio = Ibrahim > Barrett > Smith,

and as of right now, Dichio + Ibrahim cant be called solid #1 strikers... There more like #2... Barret is a solid bench player/weak starting striker.... Smith is a good bench player....

we need a #1 striker still if we wanna make any post-seaon noise.... i doubt Ruiz will fill that role

LucaGol
08-10-2008, 11:53 AM
guys, guys, guys.... lets not get ahead of ourselves here...

aside from the kick... Barrett has still looked like shiiite.......

Where the hells the attack in this guy??? we already have a right + a left boot (Guevara + Robert)...
He just seems to run a bit to where the ball is played then just quit on it... EVERYTIME (or at least a solid 95% of the time)

We still need lotsa help up front, right now as i see it our depth chart is this:

Dichio = Ibrahim > Barrett > Smith,

and as of right now, Dichio + Ibrahim cant be called solid #1 strikers... There more like #2... Barret is a solid bench player/weak starting striker.... Smith is a good bench player....

we need a #1 striker still if we wanna make any post-seaon noise.... i doubt Ruiz will fill that role

I think ur assessment of Barrett is a little premature...and unfair.

Ibby is a prospect right now...but he's not a better finisher than Barrett.

And Dichio...although having a high strike rate...doesn't nearly put as much pressure on the ball as his counterparts.

Let's wait and see where Barrett is after 5 or 6 games. So far...he's been a little more than I expected.....a solid worker who knows where the net is. He was never advertised as anything but.

Ruiz is not the answer...I don't want to go down that road.

Personally, I want to go down the road we turned onto yesterday in Colorado....aka the future is now road....

That doesn't mean giving up on the season...quite the contrary...it just means playing the players with the most exuberance, running...and desire. Not has beens who are losing form and figure by the hour.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-10-2008, 11:53 AM
Although Barrett hasnt looked like Jurgen Klinsmann he has showed promise and potential. Hes scored on his second game as well, that doesnt exactly hurt.
I think youre being a little hard on the guy.

rocker
08-10-2008, 12:31 PM
oh no, people aren't ragging on Barrett now for hustle are they? of all the things Chicago fans had to say about Barrett, they never questioned his heart. I didn't see him letting up yesterday. Actually I quite liked how he pressured the defense at times to do something with the ball. But in the end, once again, it doesn't matter since he did what had to be done -- score a goal. It'd be great if we could take Lombardo's hustle, Dichio's strength, Ibby's brain, and some DP striker's touch and put it all together, but that's hard to find.

Draracle
08-10-2008, 12:43 PM
I think Barrett could do well in Toronto. His fitness isn't up to snuff, as stated by Carver, and we probably have the best fitness program in the MLS. I am hoping he really grows here.

rocker
08-10-2008, 12:49 PM
speaking of fitness, Barrett had glowing reviews for Paul Winsper after the game last night... apparently he's had issues all season with things, and last night he felt better.

Nuvinho
08-10-2008, 12:56 PM
If we get Ruiz we better do something like this:

Ruiz and a 3rd round pick for a 3rd round pick (one from Dallas)

Then if the Ruiz experience doesn't work out, put him on the expansion draft list.

twistedchinaman
08-10-2008, 01:35 PM
Noooooooooooooooo!

Ossington Mental Youth
08-10-2008, 03:41 PM
If we get Ruiz we better do something like this:

Ruiz and a 3rd round pick for a 3rd round pick (one from Dallas)

Then if the Ruiz experience doesn't work out, put him on the expansion draft list.

Big prob with Ruiz is too that hes got a monster of a salary, 300k or more which i think loses its grandfather clause after this season.
Dude is not worth his salary as of right now.

Nuvinho
08-10-2008, 03:44 PM
Big prob with Ruiz is too that hes got a monster of a salary, 300k or more which i think loses its grandfather clause after this season.
Dude is not worth his salary as of right now.

Yeah, I think if LA wants to unload him, they better be offering something huge.

Can't we release him say after this year? Will his contract still count towards the cap? (sorry for the questions, I am always unclear on MLS rules).

Ontario Arab
08-10-2008, 04:18 PM
Hey why dont we try and get Kris Boyd for Rankgers....since they will be having a firesale soon...lol. It would take DP money but Im sure he light up MLS and would prob love to come here....rumours he is going to Germany but I dont think he will get the playing time there he wants...........just a thought, as he is defo available at the moment.

Keegan
08-10-2008, 05:15 PM
Ruiz is a piece of shit.

DIVING son of a bitch, crying son of a bitch and dirty as shit but a big pussy

DigzTFC!
08-10-2008, 05:21 PM
Here´s some extra reason not to do this

1) He´s coming off a knee injury that occured at the beginning of the season

2) He came into training camp overweight with the Galaxy and fitness has always been an issue with this guy

3) He has been known to quite on teams when the mood suits him

Reasons to sign him

1) When on his game he is one of the best strikers in this league. Headers, long range, one on one, darting runs...his talent is 20 times higher than Cunnys.

2) Although he dives, he frustrates defenders in much the same style as Blanco does from a forward position.

This is the gamble, but at the end of the day we should be able to find strikers for the same price without the deficiencies.

Nuvinho
08-12-2008, 05:22 PM
Ruiz grandfathered in this year and next year........$460K ($325K) towards the cap??

http://www.soccerpubs.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=25483&st=0&p=490612&#entry490612

FluSH
08-12-2008, 09:48 PM
Ruiz to TFC
No Grass
No DP
Argos Moving in
CFL Lines on the pitch

yup... Things are looking greaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!

Roogsy
08-12-2008, 09:59 PM
Makes you wanna go back to Vegas don't it bro?

LucaGol
08-12-2008, 10:02 PM
Whatever...we're gonna make the playoffs and blow the invisible f*ckin roof off BMO

FluSH
08-12-2008, 10:04 PM
Makes you wanna go back to Vegas don't it bro?

Yup...

I'm just trying to catch up at work and on the boards?! This shit is crazy...

Merlin
08-12-2008, 11:33 PM
No thanks. Ruiz can go jump in a lake, that's where diving is allowed.