PDA

View Full Version : Cunningham trade

Footie-11
08-09-2008, 06:22 PM
I know we got a 3rd rounder for him but did anyone else catch Craig Forrest say before the game that we would also recieve a player for him? Any truth to that?

arbogast
08-09-2008, 06:24 PM
dunno. But he won't be misssed that's for sure.

Bars92
08-09-2008, 06:25 PM
I know we got a 3rd rounder for him but did anyone else catch Craig Forrest say before the game that we would also recieve a player for him? Any truth to that?

I think he meant a player will be brought in from somewhere to replace his sorry arse. But I could be wrong.

Roogsy
08-09-2008, 06:25 PM
Apparently he was bad luck! LOL!

zeelaw
08-09-2008, 06:30 PM
yea i think he meant freein up a spot for someone.

TheRenter
08-09-2008, 07:12 PM
I think he meant a player will be brought in from somewhere to replace his sorry arse. But I could be wrong.

pretty sure that this is what Forrest was attempting to get across, however, i too found his wording somewhat ambiguous

MFG1
08-09-2008, 07:14 PM
Can today be the absolute last day we mention his name and anything along with it?

August 9 2008

Keegan
08-09-2008, 07:34 PM
Can today be the absolute last day we mention his name and anything along with it?

August 9 2008

No. His name will always be said until the end of time by TFC fans whenever someone misses. As in:

"Wow Cunningham could have scored that"

Brooker
08-09-2008, 07:36 PM
k all joking aside... are you telling me we couldnt get anything for cunny? like, absolutely nothing?

nothing will come of a 3rd round pick.

i know cunny is shit but i thought we could get SOMETHING.

rocker
08-09-2008, 07:53 PM
but what "something" would you really want from fcd or whoever? it wouldnt be a good player cuz cunny isn't worth that, so you'd end up with some stiff for the end of the bench taking up a roster spot.

almost better to get a pick and retain flexibility.

TheRenter
08-09-2008, 08:21 PM
k all joking aside... are you telling me we couldnt get anything for cunny? like, absolutely nothing?

nothing will come of a 3rd round pick.

i know cunny is shit but i thought we could get SOMETHING.

this is not necessarily true as Adam Christman (sp?) comes to mind; taken in the 4th round of the Superdraft i believe, by New England...Hemming was also taken late, in the supplemental draft no less

oxygenatedbrain
08-09-2008, 10:15 PM
Would you take Buddle, Occean or Chris Rolfe up front right now?
All 3rd round picks...not to mention Omar Cummings, Ubi, Moreno, Craig Waibel, Rimando, Conway, Zavagnin, or how about a 4th rounder like Cory Gibbs...

Stryker
08-09-2008, 10:21 PM
Its been over 24 hours and Im still gitty as a school girl.
Adios Cunny you sack of sh.....

ExiledRed
08-09-2008, 11:32 PM
Apparently he was bad luck! LOL!

Been saying that a looong time.

He was the ship's jonah.

Damien
08-10-2008, 12:09 AM
Been saying that a looong time.

He was the ship's jonah.

Oh shut up, you LOVED the guy!

Big Bruva
08-10-2008, 12:59 AM

lol hmmmm you never know

UltraSuperMegaMo
08-10-2008, 01:10 AM
I know this isn’t going to be popular - I wish Cunningham the best of luck. Okay he sucked, and looked kind of lazy most of the time (not so much as of late in his defence), but hell, who here never had a bad spell at work? Who here has never been lazy? The bad shit just snowballed for the guy. Never dance on anyone’s grave (insert zombie joke here).

BigBurva - make with the insider info. It’s been a little since you tossed us a bone.

TheRenter
08-10-2008, 02:11 AM
the more i think about this trade, the more i'm like..woot..woot

professor
08-10-2008, 04:28 PM
old news but news picked up in colorado,

as much as I would like to think this was a salary dump, it isn't. TFC will be picking up more than 1/2 of cunningham's remaining/pro-rated 2008 salary for this season (guaranteed @$257,500 as at July 31)
Cunningham's contract is up this season

the upside for TFC is:
a) cunningham is gone
b) there is now a roster spot available

the downside is
a) minimal impact on the salary cap
b) another low round draft pick that Mo won't know what to do with come draft time - here's hoping he packages a bunch of them up in a trade

FCD took a risk, they are currently under the guidance of a new master
Schellas Hyndeman, SMU's coach for the past 24 seasons (NCAA)
He's looking at shaking things up a bit
(wellll he and the owner's kid who is an SMU alumnus)
also, FCD ass't coach is John Ellinger, who coached Cunningham at college and at RSL
anyway....

FCD had the roster space this season & this being Cooper's last MLS season; and as talented as he is, and FCD need cheap help up front
So FCD has little to lose in "renting" cunny

FCD generally does very well at the draft, a 3rd rounder is just a cost of doing business

Nuvinho
08-10-2008, 04:39 PM
Who is cunny?

JDG
08-10-2008, 04:53 PM
old news but news picked up in colorado,

as much as I would like to think this was a salary dump, it isn't. TFC will be picking up more than 1/2 of cunningham's remaining/pro-rated 2008 salary for this season (guaranteed @$257,500 as at July 31)
Cunningham's contract is up this season

Even though we are still picking up half of his remaining slary, it still amounts to a big gain in cap space for us.

We have bagloads of Allocation money, but it can't be used unless it is matched dollar for dollar, with real cash.
I don't know what we had left in cap space before Cunny left for Dallas, but I do know it was insignificant - not enough to equal half of a resonable offer for anyone but a development player.
With half of Cunny's remaining salary gone, we've freed up approxinmately $64,375 in real cap space, which is a real gain of $128,850 that we can use to make an offer on a goal scorer.
Combine that with what we already had remaining in cap space, and we can probably make an offer of $200k for a striker.

I think that qualifies as a resonably effective salary dump under the circumstances.

boban
08-10-2008, 05:36 PM
I find this hilarious.
Dallas transfers Toja to Romania and in less than a week Dallas finds an international midfielder to replace him.
Meanwhile back on the farm in TO Mo is banging his head against the wall to get bodies into the lineup and knows we are desperate for strikers (plural) and can't sign his mother even.
Fucken hilarious if you ask me.

http://fc.dallas.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080808&content_id=178725&vkey=news_fcd&fext=.jsp&team=t104

Richard D
08-10-2008, 05:54 PM
At last we can go back to cunny being short for cunnilingus... our women are rejoicing...

redcard
08-10-2008, 07:55 PM
I know this isn’t going to be popular - I wish Cunningham the best of luck. Okay he sucked, and looked kind of lazy most of the time (not so much as of late in his defence), but hell, who here never had a bad spell at work? Who here has never been lazy? The bad shit just snowballed for the guy. Never dance on anyone’s grave (insert zombie joke here).

BigBurva - make with the insider info. It’s been a little since you tossed us a bone.

if worked like he played....i would have been fired long ago!!!