PDA

View Full Version : Carl Robinson is our rock

Jack
08-09-2008, 05:54 PM
I have been needing to say this for a while.

Carl Robinson is a rock for our team.

He stepped up and played in the backline today and was immense in helping hold off Colorado for the victory.

Constantly making good tackles and regularly breaking up dangerous play by the other team.

He needs to be recognized for what he does for our club. If you ask the players, they will all say he's the anchor out there. What he does for our team is not pretty, but he's probably the best at it in the league. If you really appreciate all the nuances of the game, I don't see how you can't love what Robbo does for us.

For me, Robbo is our TFC man of the year so far, hands down.

I don't understand how Chad Barrett got man of the match today. It was a great goal, but Robbo made it possible for us to get the win out there. Even at the end when there was that dangerous scramble in the box that could have ended up in the net, who came up with the ball calmly at his feet and cleared for the umpteenth time?

I'll give you a hint, he wears #33.

Carl Robinson for Red Patch Boys Man of the Year

H Bomb
08-09-2008, 05:56 PM
shit yeah dude. Carl is the on field leader on this team. And from a lot of what I hear a real leader in the locker room too. We're lucky to have him and he's worth every cent of his contract!!

jwfm1985
08-09-2008, 05:57 PM

He stepped up and played in the backline today and was immense in helping hold off Colorado for the victory.

Constantly making good tackles and regularly breaking up dangerous play by the other team.

He needs to be recognized for what he does for our club. If you ask the players, they will all say he's the anchor out there. What he does for our team is not pretty, but he's probably the best at it in the league. If you really appreciate all the nuances of the game, I don't see how you can't love what Robbo does for us.

I don't understand how Chad Barrett got man of the match today. It was a great goal, but Robbo made it possible for us to get the win out there. Even at the end when there was that dangerous scramble in the box that could have ended up in the net, who came up with the ball calmly at his feet and cleared for the umpteenth time?

Unsung hero for sure.. It is a shame so many people don't see it

kitchener-TFC
08-09-2008, 05:59 PM
I believe that Carl Robinson holds the title of assistant captain for a reason! He always does a tremendous job for the reds.

Oldtimer
08-09-2008, 06:00 PM
... and props to Carver for using him to prop up the shaky backline. Good strategy.

I noticed too, how well Robbo played his role.

Jack
08-09-2008, 06:01 PM
I just find it unfathomable that a lot of people around here don't realize his worth to our team because he doesn't score.

He's not supposed to score.

And yes, he has passes that go astray, but he also probably gets right up there amongst the most touches during a game. I've counted and the number of good passes he makes FAR outnumber the bad. Far.

rocker
08-09-2008, 06:02 PM
Gerry was makin a big deal about how Carl had never played defense, but I actually wasn't worried. Carl is actually quite good defensively and can tackle, so having him back there didn't scare me the way it seemed to scare the Dobber.

JonO
08-09-2008, 06:02 PM
Amen, brother Jack!

trane
08-09-2008, 06:04 PM

I agree 100%. But also I love the way he played CB, he predicted and followed the play braking up attacks before they develop, clearlng it out, makeing great tackles. At first he gave them too much room, but after a while he improved on that as well. He was the man of the match. James had solid game as well.

Jack
08-09-2008, 06:06 PM
I think James may have benefitted from having Carl back there barking at him. He certainly played more aggressive today and was much better at reading plays.

MG42
08-09-2008, 06:08 PM
... Even at the end when there was that dangerous scramble in the box that could have ended up in the net, who came up with the ball calmly at his feet and cleared for the umpteenth time?

If you're talking about the clearance in the 96th minute, that was Harmse...but I get your point Carl was great today :)

Carts
08-09-2008, 06:09 PM

He is defintely our rock... We have another - that being Greg Sutton...

Robinson and Sutton are our foundation and were f*ckin brilliant today...

Carts...

sully
08-09-2008, 06:10 PM
I agree that Robbo doesn't get the recognition he deserves here.

And man of the match to Barrett is OK for me but only 'cos the award doesn't really matter at the end of the day...but it is typical of how they seem to award it in N. America I think..it seems to go to the guy who'll be mentioned in a newspaper headline rather than the guy who truely had the biggest influence throughout the game...not that it really matters anyway..

Sonny Cheeba
08-09-2008, 06:10 PM
Barrett got man of the match because he played well, scored a goal, and they want to keep moving in that direction, so give him man of the match for scoring his first goal. maybe it will keep him going.

I agree though. I feel Robbo is slept on hard. he's very passionate, committed, and takes shit from no one. Definitely an asset to the team. Watching him play puts a smile on my face. If i was to get a name on a jersey it would be Robinson or Ricketts. or both. but i can't afford either. His blog also really drives home how much he cares about the team and the fans.

kitchener-TFC
08-09-2008, 06:13 PM
I agree though. I feel Robbo is slept on hard. he's very passionate, committed, and takes shit from no one. Definitely an asset to the team. Watching him play puts a smile on my face. If i was to get a name on a jersey it would be Robinson or Ricketts. or both. but i can't afford either. His blog also really drives home how much he cares about the team and the fans.
I agree with everything you said. He is a man, and player of class!

I'm also deciding on who to put on a jersey (between Robinson and Ricketts).

Jack
08-09-2008, 06:18 PM
If you're talking about the clearance in the 96th minute, that was Harmse...but I get your point Carl was great today :)

D'oh! I could have sworn that was Robbo. I think it was earlier than the 96th minute...I'll have to rewatch it and let you know.

The screen at Joe's isn't the greatest for seeing the guy's face during a scramble like that.:noidea:

Regardless, if it wasn't that particular play, there were several others.

boban
08-09-2008, 06:19 PM
MOTM - Hamstring

Hands down.

arbogast
08-09-2008, 06:20 PM
I know htis will be unpopular but, I've been thinking lately, that Robbo should be our capitain, That's just my opinion.

Jack
08-09-2008, 06:24 PM
I know htis will be unpopular but, I've been thinking lately, that Robbo should be our capitain, That's just my opinion.
He's the alternate. That's good enough.

I mean, it's not like Jimmy B's not a good choice.

The Kingpin
08-09-2008, 06:24 PM
I just find it unfathomable that a lot of people around here don't realize his worth to our team because he doesn't score.

He's not supposed to score.

And yes, he has passes that go astray, but he also probably gets right up there amongst the most touches during a game. I've counted and the number of good passes he makes FAR outnumber the bad. Far.

Break out my rant from RPL last year and insert here, I've been saying this for a long time. I think the word I used was "linchpin"...

Jack
08-09-2008, 06:25 PM
Break out my rant from RPL last year and insert here, I've been saying this for a long time. I think the word I used was "linchpin"...

I have been saying it too. I'm just less obnoxious than you are :D

The Kingpin
08-09-2008, 06:27 PM

Nor as good looking!!! :p

Yohan
08-09-2008, 06:30 PM
And it's funny how some people thought Robbo was not worth his salary and wanted him traded lol

arbogast
08-09-2008, 06:36 PM

Jimmy's fantastic, but Robbo bosses, ya know?

trane
08-09-2008, 06:45 PM
I think James may have benefitted from having Carl back there barking at him. He certainly played more aggressive today and was much better at reading plays.

He certanly did. I had said in a previous thread, last week or so, that Carl could be our best overall defender, he showed it today. Best understanding of the game among our defensive players.

MFG1
08-09-2008, 06:49 PM
I will agree he has stepped up his game since the last time we played Colorado, I know i have personally ragged on him, because when he was off, it was hard to watch. I was frustrated with him last year quite a bit, but i will say when he is on, he does make a difference in the game

a.ungaro
08-09-2008, 07:04 PM
king jack only speaks righteousness

peskypetey
08-09-2008, 07:33 PM
What Jack said...

Today's game is just another example of why I have Robinson on the back of my jersey and why I liked him from day 1.

To people who understand the game he is an all star in this league...

James17930
08-09-2008, 08:06 PM
Well, whomever said it first, it is true -- gotta give the love to Robbo.

LucaGol
08-09-2008, 08:11 PM
Call me crazy.....but Robbo looked pretty damn good at the back.

If I were Carver, I'd just go with Robbo and James back there....sure its not ideal....but its much better than the tandem of Bob Marley and El Bombascaro.

Rosenlund could vacate the spot in the middle. Sure he didn't do that much today....but there were glimpses here and there of really great movements and passing. He just needs some games under his belt.

I'd really love to see Rosenlund and Hemming become TFC's engine room in the next couple years.

kitchener-TFC
08-09-2008, 08:11 PM
I was thinking the same thing, but Jimmy was the first one signed, and he is Canadian. Robbo gets recognition by being assistant captain.

Detroit_TFC
08-09-2008, 08:22 PM
Today not everybody played great, but IMHO everybody played better. Some, much better. If this improvement is reflective of sorting out some of the problems in the dressing room, then we may have some hope for the balance of the season. I guess we'll know if that's true by a positive result next week in New Jersey.

Canadian Blue
08-09-2008, 08:39 PM
I amn glad this thread finally came about.......I have been saying since last season that Robbo was our best player. Yes he doesn't score goals but that is not his role. Unfortunately his role is defending and keeping the game in check.....this he does well but it is not media friendly. If our team was no tin Canada Robbo would be our FT captain and by that I mean no disrespect to Brennan but Robbo is our general

James Oliphant
08-09-2008, 08:46 PM

There are WAY too many people on here who don't know shit about football. Oh, they may know player and team names, but there are few who truly understand and appreciate the strategy and tactics behind the sport.

Those who do know what you know...Robbo IS our rock.

Phil
08-09-2008, 09:23 PM
There are WAY too many people on here who don't know shit about football. Oh, they may know player and team names, but there are few who truly understand and appreciate the strategy and tactics behind the sport.

Those who do know what you know...Robbo IS our rock.

In addition to Jack's post thanks :D

Daveisonfire
08-09-2008, 09:29 PM
This is why I want a Robbo 33 jersey

KRO
08-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Thank you Jack!

canadian_bhoy
08-09-2008, 10:53 PM
I've been blabbering on about Robbo for a while now. He's immense for us! He was great today and has been our MVP this year if you ask me.

I think my favorite thing about Robbo is the way he gets stuck in. He munches guys, but he wins the ball doing it...I'm going to post this pic again because it basically sums up his style of play.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/06ue1zS2gQdVE/610x.jpg

S_D
08-09-2008, 11:12 PM
Robbo is worth every penny. I have been a supporter of Robbo since last season and got a lot of grief for it. Glad to see that there are others who love the guy.

I have to say though he did a few slide tackles that made me cringe. Not because they were bad (they were great in fact) but because of the card/penalty kick happy MLS refs.

If you are reading this Robbo - GREAT GAME

LucaGol
08-09-2008, 11:27 PM
Robbo's great...but let's not get carried away.

Pros:
- good leader
- one of the best ball winner's in the league (if not the best)
- very good positional sense

Cons:
- below average passer (which unfortunately is a big part of soccer)
- shooting = no comment
- high salary for just a glorified ball winner

These are the facts...no more...no less. He's very good at what he does...and plays a very effective game when he sticks to his strengths...that was evidenced today.

Again...let's not get too high on the highs...

What kind of threads would we have if Shalrie Joseph, a more complete midfield general, was with TFC....

Shalrie for prime minister?..

kitchener-TFC
08-09-2008, 11:30 PM
How much does Robbo make btw?

Jack
08-10-2008, 12:00 AM

Pros:
- good leader

Cons:
- shooting = no comment

These are the facts...no more...no less. He's very good at what he does...and plays a very effective game when he sticks to his strengths...that was evidenced today.

What kind of threads would we have if Shalrie Joseph, a more complete midfield general, was with TFC....

Those are your facts, not the facts. A "glorified ball winner"? Isn't that what a defensive midfielder's main role is? And again, I don't see the bad passing but he's not a special passer who can pick apart a defence either. He usually makes the safe, smart pass and that is invaluable.

The only thing I agree on with you is that he's a bad shooter.

I'm not getting too high on any high. Read my posts about today's game...

I just think Robbo gets a bad rap around here.

Roogsy
08-10-2008, 12:02 AM
I think that if you couple Robbo with a potent offence, you have yourselves the making of a MLS Cup winner.

The point is, he is as good as you can get in the MLS and I for one like him in TFC red.

Is there better in the world? Sure. For 300k? Probably not many.

Let's be thankful it's one position in the XI that we don't have to worry all that much about.

BakaGaijin
08-10-2008, 12:04 AM
Some of you fuckers are drinking way too much of the MoJo Kool-Aid. Carl Robinson is a good tackler in this league............and that's about it.

I think he's the highest paid player on our team at over $310 000 a year........that is absolute bullshit. The fucker can't pass, can't shoot and the reason our offense struggles some much is because once the defenders pass it up to him.......it's a fucking turnover half the time............Carl Robinson is a good player........at half the salary............right now he is committing a grand fucking larceny.............we could have DeRo at that fucking salary.........

LucaGol
08-10-2008, 12:10 AM
Those are your facts, not the facts. A "glorified ball winner"? Isn't that what a defensive midfielder's main role is? And again, I don't see the bad passing but he's not a special passer who can pick apart a defence either. He usually makes the safe, smart pass and that is invaluable.

The only thing I agree on with you is that he's a bad shooter.

I'm not getting too high on any high. Read my posts about today's game...

I just think Robbo gets a bad rap around here.

Im not sure I understand you.

Yes...those are the facts. You never disproved any one of them...and I didnt expect you or any one to because they are plain to see.

Carl Robinson is a glorified ball winner because that's exactly what he is....a ball winner....who's being glorified. Get it?

I never said he was a bad defensive midfielder...as long as that's what he sticks to. (salary is stilll too high though)

If it was my team...and my 2 mill to spend on players...I'd want more of a difference maker, game breaker, or what have you...to be making such a salary....but that's just me.

Sure, Robbo can't help the salary he makes...he can't control that...it is what it is.

If the salary cap was 5 million...hell yeah....Robbo's our man at 300K.....but its not.

Dirk Diggler
08-10-2008, 12:13 AM
Some of you fuckers are drinking way too much of the MoJo Kool-Aid. Carl Robinson is a good tackler in this league............and that's about it.

I think he's the highest paid player on our team at over $310 000 a year........that is absolute bullshit. The fucker can't pass, can't shoot and the reason our offense struggles some much is because once the defenders pass it up to him.......it's a fucking turnover half the time............Carl Robinson is a good player........at half the salary............right now he is committing a grand fucking larceny.............we could have DeRo at that fucking salary.........

Even though my opinion on him isn't as harsh as yours, I do agree with you. He's a good player, yes, but there's no fuckin way he's our best player. First of all, he seems highly inconsistent to me. Sometimes he botches up all his tackles quite badly, is caught making poor, short passes and takes up many ill advised shots. On the days that he's good, he manages to get most of his tackles right but his offensive acumen still remains as poor as ever (not that I expect him to provide much offence anyways but still).

And before someone says that we don't know shit about football, please. Get off your high horse. No one is saying that he should score 20 goals per season. We all know what a DM is supposed to do and know what a good DM looks like. Unfortunately Robbo looks the part on many nights but is frustratingly poor on many others.

Roogsy
08-10-2008, 12:19 AM
I love reading the criticism of Robbo...or at the very least, the arguments of why we shouldn't love his as much...and yet I see no "alternatives" Sure Joseph was named...but how much does Joseph make? And it's not like he was available to TFC now was he?

So the point is we should be happy with Robbo regardless of what he makes because without him...this team would suck harder than they do now. He is a difference-maker and keeps us in the game so that when our offence does click, we do win. And when they don't...he still gives us a chance to take something away from games.

So for that...and for being a true leader on this team, we are going to complaing about a non-DP salary? What do you think he should make? Less than Cunny??? As much as Wynne? Seriously?

He is worth what he is worth. It's a thankless job with no glory...the least he can get is paid well.

LucaGol
08-10-2008, 12:28 AM
Ok .....let me pose a question.....

If Chris Pozniak was our DM as opposed to Carl Robinson....what would our record be?

Better?...Worse?.....Who cares Pozniak is not as good as Robinson (which is probably true)

I really fail to see how we're so much better off with Carl Robinson in our lineup.

I mean...its not as if we're one of the best defensive teams in the league...and Robinson is our anchor.

As I said before...ok he has heart...he can make timely tackles....he's also shit at a lot of other aspects of the game.

A pure DM should not be the highest paid player on any team.

Roogsy
08-10-2008, 12:30 AM
Our record would be worse, no doubt in my mind.

And Poz was making 100k.

So I am confused as to what exactly Robbo should be making that would be deemed to be "fair"...

LucaGol
08-10-2008, 12:34 AM
Our record would be worse, no doubt in my mind.

And Poz was making 100k.

So I am confused as to what exactly Robbo should be making that would be deemed to be "fair"...

Not the highest....

I dunno....I'm just trying to keep things in perspective.

As I said before...it is what it is....

He's great at what he does. But as an all round midfield general....he's lacking. As a pure DM...he's one of the best in the league.

For my money...I want an offensive player or a creative player as the highest paid player on my team. Players with industry are more easier to find and generally can be paid lower wages.

The Kingpin
08-10-2008, 01:05 AM
I've been blabbering on about Robbo for a while now. He's immense for us! He was great today and has been our MVP this year if you ask me.

I think my favorite thing about Robbo is the way he gets stuck in. He munches guys, but he wins the ball doing it...I'm going to post this pic again because it basically sums up his style of play.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/06ue1zS2gQdVE/610x.jpg

Mike, can you or Alex find that clip from last year and insert it into this thread. I would like to re-insert my appeal to those who appose Jack's and others comments here!!! You must remember the one....

Bars92
08-10-2008, 01:20 AM
I'd get a Robo jersey bar none. Wales all the way!!!

v00d00daddy
08-10-2008, 02:20 AM

Pros:
- good leader

Cons:
- shooting = no comment

Yes....fuck shalrie joseph.....but i agree...

this is ONE thread where robbo is god.

he played great tonight...but come on....this is one game out of many...he makes A LOT of mistakes.

Serious mistakes. He gives the ball away every game...on more than one occasion. He's good...but not worth 320k a year.

This is what we should get EVERY game. Not once in a blue moon. He gives the ball away way too much.

Way to go TFC but let's not get hysterical here folks.

Robbo is what he is. A decent holding mid who makes a lot of mistakes and can't move the ball in an attacking manner if his life depended on it. We squeaked it out and I'm happy, but we can't go on like this.

Go TFC go!

Bars92
08-10-2008, 02:40 AM
Robbbo could be playing for any number of English teams right now. But he's here so fuck off!

Keystone FC
08-10-2008, 02:55 AM
Call me crazy.....but Robbo looked pretty damn good at the back.

If I were Carver, I'd just go with Robbo and James back there....sure its not ideal....but its much better than the tandem of Bob Marley and El Bombascaro.

Rosenlund could vacate the spot in the middle. Sure he didn't do that much today....but there were glimpses here and there of really great movements and passing. He just needs some games under his belt.

I'd really love to see Rosenlund and Hemming become TFC's engine room in the next couple years.

Well, this may be the line up for awhile due to call-ups and injuries. I have to admit the back line did seem to hold the line alot better with Robbo back there. Maybe that's what was missing from our defense a guy who barked out at the others and took control of situations. Maybe those call-ups and injuries were a blessing in disguise.

trane
08-10-2008, 08:15 AM

Pros:
- good leader

Cons:
- shooting = no comment

His passing is better then people give him credit for. As for shooting, while it would be nice, why does a DM need a good shot? Robinson has all the quality needed to be a great DM in this league.

People seem to judge everything by offensive skills, forgeting that there are two sides of the game. You need to be good both ways to be a good squad.

JonO
08-10-2008, 08:29 AM

A little bit of hyperbole, don't you think? I'd be willing to bet that the turnover rate is closer to 10% than the 50% you suggest.

Jack
08-10-2008, 09:21 AM
For the people who don't realize his value to the team...I question your understanding of the game.

No offence if you are knowledgable about the game, but then I don't understand how you don't see what Robbo does.:noidea:

This is not a spur-of-the-moment thing because we won. I've been saying this about Robbo for forever. Ask canadian_bhoy who sits in the next cubicle to me at work.

He is a difference-maker. Not everyone on the team is a goal-scorer or makes a flashy play or pass. The game is played on the whole field, not in the final third. His job is not to score goals or shoot at the net.

He has some up and down games over the course of the season, just as any player does. The fact is, when he makes a mistake, it can be magnified because he plays such an important position. When he makes a good pass or play, a lot of the time it doesn't get noticed because it isn't flashy and it's way back in the midfield to start things off, rather than in the final third to finish things.

And LucaGol, I said they were your facts because the comment about the salary is opinion and I don't agree that he's a below-average passer. Not everyone is Xavi or Pirlo.

giambac
08-10-2008, 09:37 AM

Carl robinson has by far been our most consistent player all year.

The thing I love about him is that you know what you will get from him game in and game out. He always gives 100% and never takes a game off. He is consistent and reliable. If we had 10 more players who played with his tenacity, we would be a solid team and a feared team in the league.

trane
08-10-2008, 09:41 AM
For the people who don't realize his value to the team...I question your understanding of the game.

No offence if you are knowledgable about the game, but then I don't understand how you don't see what Robbo does.:noidea:

And LucaGol, I said they were your facts because the comment about the salary is opinion and I don't agree that he's a below-average passer. Not everyone is Xavi or Pirlo.

That exactly it. There is Pirlo and then there is Gattuso. There is Xavi and the there is Senna. We have Guevarra and Robinson. In all these cases they are midfielders but their roles are exremlty different. You have to judge the player for how well he fullfills his role.

Would you judge Cannavaro or Payol on how many goals they score, or the quality of their shot? How gives a shit.

LucaGol
08-10-2008, 09:41 AM

This is not a spur-of-the-moment thing because we won. I've been saying this about Robbo for forever. Ask canadian_bhoy who sits in the next cubicle to me at work.

He is a difference-maker. Not everyone on the team is a goal-scorer or makes a flashy play or pass. The game is played on the whole field, not in the final third. His job is not to score goals or shoot at the net.

He has some up and down games over the course of the season, just as any player does. The fact is, when he makes a mistake, it can be magnified because he plays such an important position. When he makes a good pass or play, a lot of the time it doesn't get noticed because it isn't flashy and it's way back in the midfield to start things off, rather than in the final third to finish things.

Jack...don't you see this is the beauty of football.

Our philosophies seem to be at polar opposites about the situation yet we both seem adamant.

Not everyone can have the same opinion and often don't.

If you were the coach of the team...Im sure your team would pride themselves on tenacious play...constant running...determination (not that the the other parts of the game would be lacking...that's just the traits I see you admire most)....

If it was my team...I'd want my highly paid players to be ones with offensive flair, creativity, goal scoring intelligence (and again...not that I would discount defence...those are just the qualities I'd put priorities in).

None of us is wrong...none of us is right.

It's often difficult to place value on any given player.....with TFC I agree, Robinson does seem to have a high value.....but imo, he's not the outstanding defensive, game changing force that seems to be portrayed. But that's just me.

As for his passing....sure....its easy to make the short pass...many pros are proficient at that....its the fact that he forces passes too much and seems to concede possession more often than he's winning it...which is a big no-no in my books. The ball is your friend...guard it with your life. Giving away possession cheaply just to try and rush up the field is a very bad habit to get into. He's also quite static in his movement....DM or no DM...its every player's responsibility to open up space for themselves and their teammates.

jloome
08-10-2008, 09:43 AM
Im not sure I understand you.

Yes...those are the facts. You never disproved any one of them...and I didnt expect you or any one to because they are plain to see.

Carl Robinson is a glorified ball winner because that's exactly what he is....a ball winner....who's being glorified. Get it?

I never said he was a bad defensive midfielder...as long as that's what he sticks to. (salary is stilll too high though)

If it was my team...and my 2 mill to spend on players...I'd want more of a difference maker, game breaker, or what have you...to be making such a salary....but that's just me.

Sure, Robbo can't help the salary he makes...he can't control that...it is what it is.

If the salary cap was 5 million...hell yeah....Robbo's our man at 300K.....but its not.

Yeah, I'd have to agree with you Luca on your original points....all except the salary issue, as I don't think that's much money to pay a holding midfielder, especially when he does his job very well. I know you mean relative to the salary cap, but the salary cap is the problem, not Robbo's paycheque, which I think is well less than he'd make back in the championship or league one.

You're right, I'd take Joseph over him. But then so would about half the clubs in England right now if New England would sell him. Not sure how they're keepign him without DP status excpet that there must be some pretty interesting "sponsorships" going on there.

But you have to admit, Robbo was fucking class yesterday. Pure fucking class. Moved out of position, took all of about 10 minutes to adjust and then basically (along with Harmse, who had his best game yesterday for TFC) shut their offence down.

bhoybobby
08-10-2008, 09:58 AM
Players of Robbo's class (International) can usually play at the back very easily, especially in the middle CB/Sweeper roll.

Mids & forwards like Robbo/Dichio can usually play that in emergency situations with ease, as they can see everything in front of them. I think DD could probably extend his career in that role ala Chris Sutton at Celtic.

Don't know if anyone else noticed, but Jimmy B was talking & yelling to Robbo a lot helping him out. Great to see, Carver now has another option he knows he can go to.

bhoybobby
08-10-2008, 10:04 AM

Pros:
- good leader

Cons:
- shooting = no comment

Have to respectfully disagree, he's doing a a great job, with some less than stellar players around him, that role is very hard to play, he makes it look easy, his passing is good when his fellow players move into a good lane to receive, Hi only negative is his shooting.

Great player & leader, we'd be effed without him.

Jack
08-10-2008, 10:07 AM
Jack...don't you see this is the beauty of football.

Our philosophies seem to be at polar opposites about the situation yet we both seem adamant.

Not everyone can have the same opinion and often don't.

If you were the coach of the team...Im sure your team would pride themselves on tenacious play...constant running...determination (not that the the other parts of the game would be lacking...that's just the traits I see you admire most)....

If it was my team...I'd want my highly paid players to be ones with offensive flair, creativity, goal scoring intelligence (and again...not that I would discount defence...those are just the qualities I'd put priorities in).

None of us is wrong...none of us is right.

It's often difficult to place value on any given player.....with TFC I agree, Robinson does seem to have a high value.....but imo, he's not the outstanding defensive, game changing force that seems to be portrayed. But that's just me.

As for his passing....sure....its easy to make the short pass...many pros are proficient at that....its the fact that he forces passes too much and seems to concede possession more often than he's winning it...which is a big no-no in my books. The ball is your friend...guard it with your life. Giving away possession cheaply just to try and rush up the field is a very bad habit to get into. He's also quite static in his movement....DM or no DM...its every player's responsibility to open up space for themselves and their teammates.

You've got a point there... it is the beauty of the game.
:D

canadian_bhoy
08-10-2008, 11:05 AM
He hasn't been the best shooter this year, but his goal vs DC last season was AWESOME.

CLX3E2_EDac

JDG
08-10-2008, 11:20 AM
oLCbZhjSQXA

Mrs. Workie
08-10-2008, 11:40 AM
And while I can't find a video of it, he still holds the record (in my eyes) for best goal celebration ever :D

We *heart* Robbo

GlenM
08-10-2008, 11:49 AM
Yes, I agree Robinson definitely is solid and should be considered as RPB player of the year...I think Greg Sutton's having a great year and has been solid in net. He gets my vote at this point of the season.

There's only one Greg Sutton!

GlenM

pepher
08-10-2008, 12:29 PM
here here Jack!

ManUtd4ever
08-10-2008, 12:56 PM
Robbo is the best defensive midfielder in the league...

Mrs. Workie
08-10-2008, 01:00 PM
Chant for next game:

We love you Robbo
We do
We love you Robbo
We do
We love you Robbo
We do
Oh Robbo we love you

v00d00daddy
08-10-2008, 07:26 PM
I think everyone loves Robbo so much because he seems to love playing for TFC, he seems very personable, and he seems to really appreciate the supporters.

As for a soccer player though.....he is lacking. He has flashes of good play but he has no offensive upside and is at an age where he's not getting any better.

And for the poster who brought up Gattuso and Senna etc......would you make either of those guys the highest paid on your roster if you were a manager? Didn't think so.

I like Robbo and what he brings....I just think we could have the same thing for half the money and zero Intl absences.

"The fact is, when he makes a mistake, it can be magnified because he plays such an important position. When he makes a good pass or play, a lot of the time it doesn't get noticed because it isn't flashy and it's way back in the midfield to start things off, rather than in the final third to finish things."

Jack...I disagree with you about magnifying his mistakes and ignoring his good plays. Robbo makes simple, effective plays from the defensive third quite often. The problem I have is that he makes terrible mistakes some of the time and the mistakes come out of situations where it wouldn't have been rocket science to make a simple play. I hope that makes sense. In short, he makes a mess of a lot of very simple plays and gives the ball away a lot. I expect more from one of our top paid players.

trane
08-10-2008, 07:36 PM
^ That can be said for most of our team. We make some very basics mistakes way to often.

canadian_bhoy
08-10-2008, 07:40 PM
And while I can't find a video of it, he still holds the record (in my eyes) for best goal celebration ever :D

We *heart* Robbo

Ask and you shall receive!

The best about this is after the celebration, you can see him back at the centre circle in what appears to be a reaction to someone saying "what the hell was that!"..

Amazing goal BTW.

_XVAvZt8sR8

RPB_Brantford_08
08-10-2008, 07:46 PM
Robinson should be the team Captain...he provides the leadership the current one doesn;'t...but thats Carvers choice...maybe next season he will select the right candidate.

Mrs. Workie
08-10-2008, 08:49 PM
Ask and you shall receive!

The best about this is after the celebration, you can see him back at the centre circle in what appears to be a reaction to someone saying "what the hell was that!"..

Amazing goal BTW.

_XVAvZt8sR8

YES! You rock Mike!

Everytime I get a hatrick, I do that exact same goal celebration :D

arbogast
08-10-2008, 08:55 PM
Robinson should be the team Captain...he provides the leadership the current one doesn;'t...but thats Carvers choice...maybe next season he will select the right candidate.

I agree. i love Jimmy, but Carl is a stronger leader and frankly I think we fell apart during the Dallas match due to a lack of leadership. Guevara got ejected and Jimmy should have rallied the boys knowing the ref was not in our corner. Instead he gets a card for dissent, setting a bad example and right after that VElez gets a 2nd yellow and a red for dissent. Jimmy should have shut his trap, rallied the team ad got on with it. Carl was playing his ass off and bossing the park as usual, leading by example and not running his mouth off.

Jack
08-10-2008, 08:58 PM
Pretty sweet delivery into the box by Robbo on Danny D's goal there.

That game was such a great day.

ensco
08-10-2008, 09:04 PM
Robinson is the only player who consistently challenges in the open field defensively. Every other player on TFC backpeddles when an opposing player has the ball in midfield. Robbo also makes by far the most slide tackles of any TFC player at BMO (in fact the only other player who I can recall ever doing it, is Brennan). Given the turf issue, he really is indispensable - we'd have serious trouble replacing him.

I guess if Robbo's distribution were better, he'd be in the EPL and would never have come over - that's kind of obvious.

(My only real Robbo complaint - his constant desire to "quick kick" on free kicks bugs me - Carver seems to have banned this in 2008.)

This captain point could be a separate thread discussion. We've never had a real discussion about captain, because nobody (including me) wants to take it away from Jimmy B, our only all star. But I'm not sure Brennan has the temperament to be an effective on-field captain. Jimmy B is wound very tight. Robbo would probably be more effective on the field than Jimmy is.