PDA

View Full Version : Post Game Thread

Corpand
08-09-2008, 05:09 PM
Hands down! Grats to our boys!!

And the ref.......:taz:

mclaren
08-09-2008, 05:12 PM
I think we've had many worse refs than him.

The Kingpin
08-09-2008, 05:12 PM
What Tht F*&^k Was Wrong With The Official... All Calls Wre On The Money...

Flipityflu
08-09-2008, 05:14 PM
i call that balance. get screwed last week, get some good calls this week.

Cashcleaner
08-09-2008, 05:14 PM
We've had a lot worst officiating, but I agree that today was still pretty bad with regards to the ref. Good result for Toronto, no doubt. Though I was wondering when the ref was gonna blow that fuckin whistle.

Yohan
08-09-2008, 05:15 PM
I was biting my lips cuz i thought Danny D was going to get sent off for that elbow

Ageroo
today was bad...but I think we have seen alot worse.......at least this guy was bad for both teams....

The Kingpin
All calls were quite accurate, I'm not sure what match people were watching... Really and truly.

kitchener-TFC
08-09-2008, 05:16 PM
I didn't mind the ref this time. He could've blown his whistle a bit sooner!

sully
Not to take away from a great effort from the lads but that ref should be suspended by the league

RPB_Brantford_08
I think we've had many worse refs than him.

the ref vs Dallas had to be the worst...todays one seemed confused

rocker
08-09-2008, 05:17 PM
All calls were quite accurate, I'm not sure what match people were watching... Really and truly.

Is that you Garber?

awful refereeing. Missed the three fouls on Ibrahim on one play... missed the push on Gala.... I could go on....

Stryker
The ref was good up until the final 15 mins.

Inswingingwingman
A two handed push to the turf was a yellow. Throwing the ball away was another yellow. At least one needed to be put up. But nada. Long time since I reffed but he'd have gone to the bench.

Lucky Strike
For me the ref was beyond the bad calls (no yellow on Coundoul or Ihemelu) but also lost control of the match. There was chirping between teams at half, way too much complaining, the ref just looked out of his element.

tfc-th
08-09-2008, 05:19 PM
What Tht F*&^k Was Wrong With The Official... All Calls Wre On The Money...

I wouldn't say it was the worst officiating, but that two handed throwdown of Gala along with the Colorado player kicking the ball away was definitely cardworthy. However, considering how card happy the ref was, I'm glad we didn't see any of our boys thrown out. Any more craziness and Carver might have been lacing up for the NYRB match next weekend.

We won. It was difficult (to play and to watch). They persevered, and I'm thrilled. My neighbours might not be, after all the colourful nouns, verbs, and adjectives I used to describe the ref's inability to tell time...

Quote of the Match: "Has his watch stopped?!" -- Craig Forrest.

The Kingpin
08-09-2008, 05:20 PM
Is that you Garber?

awful refereeing. Missed the three fouls on Ibrahim on one play... missed the push on Gala.... I could go on....

WOW! you are oblivious to who I am aren't you......... :))

MG42
08-09-2008, 05:22 PM

are you like serious really and truly or just really and truly? :)

Start a poll on the ref!

Urtdachig
08-09-2008, 05:22 PM
Ugly game, but a beautiful win. Great effort by all the guys on the field. Proud of the guts shown by all.

jabbronies
08-09-2008, 05:23 PM
Honestly, I thought the ref was trying to let the flow of play go as much as he could.

Seemed lke he was trying not to influence the game with his decisions, although he did give a red (double yellow) it wasn't as bad as the last game we were in.

jabbronies
08-09-2008, 05:24 PM
Still shite though...very inconsistant with the calls he made or didn't make

H Bomb
08-09-2008, 05:24 PM
WOW! you are oblivious to who I am aren't you......... :))

Gotta stop saying things like this homey.

I thought the ref was crap today, but mostly for Colorado.
The refs are terrible every week and it's kinda nice to see someone else get screwed. But the problem should be fixed

zeelaw
08-09-2008, 05:25 PM
What a game

Cashcleaner
08-09-2008, 05:25 PM

Didn't get to watch the entire match, but the push by Themelu follwed by him throwing the ball away deserved a card. And let's not forget the 6 and a half minutes of extra time given when only 5 minutes was called (and maybe only 4 minutes was neccesary).

The Kingpin
08-09-2008, 05:26 PM
Honestly, I thought the ref was trying to let the flow of play go as much as he could.

Seemed lke he was trying not to influence the game with his decisions, although he did give a red (double yellow) it wasn't as bad as the last game we were in.

This is what I'm saying... I just think it's chic to attack the officials no matter what... When an official id awful, I'll mention it. But he seemed to be more "English" in my opinion, which means not calling fouls on "pussy" plays. Anyone who comes close to suggestion I'm on Garvers side really has no clue...

The Kingpin
08-09-2008, 05:27 PM
Didn't get to watch the entire match, but the push by Themelu follwed by him throwing the ball away deserved a card. And let's not forget the 6 and a half minutes of extra time given when only 5 minutes was called (and maybe only 4 minutes was neccesary).

Cash, that happens in 3 out of 4 matches I watch... If that's what defines poor officiating, then every official is below par.

H Bomb
08-09-2008, 05:29 PM
And the free kick we won for the goal was a great tackle.

I guess this is one of those "evening out" moments we keep hearing about

jabbronies
08-09-2008, 05:30 PM
I think people are irritaed as his inconsistancy to make or not make calls. It makes for a boring game because players don't really know what they can or can't do in terms of contact, pushing, shoving, diving, etc etc.

thisisinternetclash
The referee was adequate. The bizarre foul call against Ibrahim as he was holding the ball up towards the end, the lack of a yellow card for the keeper's intentional handball, and the strange amount of added time immediately come to mind as questionable bits of refereeing. The second foul for the red card was a bit harsh, in my opinion, and there were a few ticky-tacky moments in the match in which I would have liked the ref to call things differently. At any rate, certainly not worse than the referee last Sunday.

mclaren

agreed - he wasn't that bad,.

jabbronies
08-09-2008, 05:31 PM
Carl Robinsons dive...

Cashcleaner
Cash, that happens in 3 out of 4 matches I watch... If that's what defines poor officiating, then every official is below par.Are you serious?! I've only got a plethora of live SPL, EPL, and MLS matches to go by and I don't think it's usually that bad. I typically pay close attention to extra time minutes and would say that while MLS is usually pretty good, today was a definite exception.

mclaren
It says a lot about the state of officiating in the league - but that was one of the better refereeing performances of the season.

H Bomb
08-09-2008, 05:32 PM
Really guys? Seems like beer goggles to me. I thought the tackle before the goal was good, the sending off was poor, his control of the game was lost. Typical bad MLS referee.

jabbronies
08-09-2008, 05:34 PM
his control of the game was lost.

Disagree....He didn't loose control of the game....Last weeks ref lost control. This guy was just very calm and just made calls when he thought it was right.

H Bomb
08-09-2008, 05:38 PM
Disagree....He didn't loose control of the game....Last weeks ref lost control. This guy was just very calm and just made calls when he thought it was right.

This is largely in reference to slowing the subs coming on/off to a terrible level. Telling the guy to take a corner, then stopping him to allow someone on, and THEN giving sutton a card for time wasting. Not carding the guy who two handed gala to the ground then threw the ball away and then bitched in his ear. But it's true, he kept the fist fights to a minimum

Corpand
Im sorry, but in any even partially respectable league, a goalie getting a backpass and PURPOSELY bringing up his hand to swipe the ball away is a red card. It could have been a goal, it couldnt have. It wasnt the goalie's decision to make under the circumstances but the refs. And the ref chose to make it a cardless free kick.

Scuse me?

mdc 77
This is what I'm saying... I just think it's chic to attack the officials no matter what... When an official id awful, I'll mention it. But he seemed to be more "English" in my opinion, which means not calling fouls on "pussy" plays. Anyone who comes close to suggestion I'm on Garvers side really has no clue...

I know what you are saying and I agree to a point but throwing the ball away in front of the ref has nothing to do with being a pussy. The extra time was a joke, usually you get maybe 20 sec. more than announced, we had over 1 minute today. Easy to overlook the officiating when we win but fact is it was still poor, actually more inconsistent than poor today. In the end though it was a typical MLS match on the officiating front.

Batman
08-09-2008, 05:39 PM
The referee was adequate. The bizarre foul call against Ibrahim as he was holding the ball up towards the end, the lack of a yellow card for the keeper's intentional handball, and the strange amount of added time immediately come to mind as questionable bits of refereeing. The second foul for the red card was a bit harsh, in my opinion, and there were a few ticky-tacky moments in the match in which I would have liked the ref to call things differently. At any rate, certainly not worse than the referee last Sunday.

I agree with that completely. He made some mistakes but no more than usual in this league.

H Bomb
08-09-2008, 05:39 PM
Im sorry, but in any even partially respectable league, a goalie getting a backpass and PURPOSELY bringing up his hand to swipe the ball away is a red card. It could have been a goal, it couldnt have. It wasnt the goalie's decision to make under the circumstances but the refs. And the ref chose to make it a cardless free kick.

Scuse me?

I dont think it is a red because it isn't a "hand ball". My understanding would have it as an obvious yellow for a professional foul. Basically intending to make an illegal play to benefit his team,.

RealG-TFC
08-09-2008, 05:42 PM
that was FAR from the worst ref

Norn_Irn_Toffee
08-09-2008, 05:44 PM
Why are we all arguing about the officiating... when we should be celebrating an away win! We don't get too many...

This was a great performance by the team, fought til the end, let's hope this gives them heart for the coming games.

RealG-TFC
08-09-2008, 05:46 PM
Why are we all arguing about the officiating... when we should be celebrating an away win! We don't get too many...

This was a great performance by the team, fought til the end, let's hope this gives them heart for the coming games.

Agreed

Batman
08-09-2008, 05:53 PM
Post game comments here please.

H Bomb
08-09-2008, 05:57 PM

Don't worry man. It's all being written with a smile and a beer!

TFC USA
08-09-2008, 05:58 PM
This was not a pretty game, and I'm glad the home team didn't have anything to cheer about because that was a terrible showing on a beautiful stadium (I'll say it's actually better than BMO Field).

Now, 1-0 to TFC, here's some important accomplishments:

First season with multiple road wins.
First road win in which TFC gets a clean sheet (the other 2 wins were 2-1 and 3-2).
Most number of Canadians playing on the pitch at the same time (IIRC) in an MLS match.
All 3 road wins have been against Western Conference opponents.
Dichio comes back and Cunningham leaves, TFC wins. :D:D
First game I have watched on Sportsnet, and Gerry Dobson and Craig "World Class" Forrest are quite good, not as good as Nigel and...the other guy, but quite good.

Here's what I'm also noticing. TFC is scoring more and more on the road when that seemed to be an impossibility.....now they can't score at home anymore!

Man of the Match: Sutton.....yeah, if he's not in goal this team would be lucky to have 2 wins.

MG42
08-09-2008, 05:58 PM
Exiled Red wrote:
With everything against them, from altitude to inexperience, a win would be something special, and there would be new heroes in the squad.

It's something to hope for, I've seen crazier shit happen.

True and True :)

Jack
08-09-2008, 05:59 PM
Sutton was solid but a lot of the shots were straight at him.

Carl Robinson was my man of the match, hands down.

Batman
08-09-2008, 06:07 PM
FYI I merged a few threads into one post game thread.

AL-MO
08-09-2008, 06:07 PM
Steven DiPeiro is by far the worst referee we've had.

I only watched one half, but as long as a bad decision didn't have a direct affect on the game, then I usually don't have a problem.

You are going to get some calls going your way and some won't.

tfc-th
08-09-2008, 06:09 PM

If for nothing else than his ability to completely switch positions and still be awesome. I was also extremely impressed with Nana Attakora's performance (and his ability to fly!).

Bars92
08-09-2008, 06:09 PM
Barrett is money in the bank, the guy has confidence.

ag futbol
08-09-2008, 06:15 PM
I'm sorry but if i wanted to watch some glorified men's league where the skilled players get fouled out of the game, I probably wouldn't be watching this sport at all.

Gala, Ricketts, and a few others were fouled in instalments on the left wing. Ibrahim was hacked in the first half and all that waranted was a yellow. Putting your arm across the offensive player and throwing him down is not part of the game, two footing a guy from behind with no attempt at the ball is a red card.

I feel bad for you if you like watching that kind of shit, because it makes for really ugly and unskilled football.

kitchener-TFC
08-09-2008, 06:17 PM
For the NY game, do you guys think Carver's going to start the same 11 that started this game, due to his reward policy, or could we see Velez back in the line-up?

The Kingpin
08-09-2008, 06:21 PM
Sutton was solid but a lot of the shots were straight at him.

Easy. I have stood by Robbo since last year on RPL and I will always stand by him. Pure Class.

Yohan
08-09-2008, 06:27 PM
For the NY game, do you guys think Carver's going to start the same 11 that started this game, due to his reward policy, or could we see Velez back in the line-up?
Velez probably back in, because Robinson is not a natural centreback.
Plus Rosenlund was pretty invisible today

RealG-TFC
08-09-2008, 06:32 PM
See what the combination of Cunny's absence and Danny's presence does to our team!!!! :D

RealG-TFC
08-09-2008, 06:32 PM
BTW, where was Robert?

arbogast
08-09-2008, 06:38 PM
BTW, where was Robert?

Out, with a hamstring injury.

H Bomb
08-09-2008, 06:39 PM
Now, 1-0 to TFC, here's some important accomplishments:

First season with multiple road wins.
First road win in which TFC gets a clean sheet (the other 2 wins were 2-1 and 3-2).
Most number of Canadians playing on the pitch at the same time (IIRC) in an MLS match.
All 3 road wins have been against Western Conference opponents.
Dichio comes back and Cunningham leaves, TFC wins. :D:D
First game I have watched on Sportsnet, and Gerry Dobson and Craig "World Class" Forrest are quite good, not as good as Nigel and...the other guy, but quite good.

This is great to see. 6 guys on at once by my count. Hopefully this is just the beginning.

mclaren
08-09-2008, 06:41 PM
I wonder if Ricketts is o.k.

MFG1
08-09-2008, 06:41 PM
he could have been worse, i thought he held it together at the end for what it was turning into. At least he didnt lose his marbles like last weeks idiot and totally lose control of the game.

Oldtimer
08-09-2008, 06:51 PM
Good game.
Good strategy by Carver, playing Robbo at the back.
Great effort by all players, especially the Canadians. The effort and the grit pulled off the win.

Pigfynn
08-09-2008, 06:54 PM
The ref did what he could for Colorado at the end, but we finished a good performance with the win.

The ref situation in this league is a disaster.

Shakes McQueen
08-09-2008, 06:57 PM
Aside from the uncarded calls, the ref was.... almost decent.

Should have carded Ihemelu's frustrated two-handed push of Gala into the turf. Should have carded him again when he threw the ball away in frustration 4 seconds later. Should have carded their keeper for intentionally using his hands to prevent a potential own-goal.

The rest I can deal with.

- Scott

rocker
08-09-2008, 07:02 PM
guys, the highlight video is now up on mlsnet.com

MFG1
08-09-2008, 07:12 PM
hey what about the indirect free kick that had ricketts as the shooter, farther away from the ball than the rapids players? That was a great opportunity to score, That one was way overthought

James17930
08-09-2008, 07:49 PM
Where was Robert???

rocker
08-09-2008, 07:51 PM
injured... during the week they mentioned he was questionable.

Inswingingwingman
08-09-2008, 07:55 PM
I NEED links to Carver's post game stuff and any other post game comments.

The rags (newspapers) are shite. Toronto Star posts 2 paragraphs from AP. Give me a fucking break.. the didn't even send a reporter......

Fuck the Star....

Batman
08-09-2008, 08:00 PM

The rags (newspapers) are shite. Toronto Star posts 2 paragraphs from AP. Give me a fucking break.. the didn't even send a reporter......

Fuck the Star....

Normally none of the Toronto papers send anybody to the road games.

James17930
08-09-2008, 08:01 PM

Fuck the Star....

I think it's just a bit too soon . . . give it a bit.

zeelaw
08-09-2008, 08:03 PM
Where was Robert???
injured.

LucaGol
08-09-2008, 08:06 PM
This game drove me insane....young team or not....how do you not know how to hold the ball for at least 3 passes in a row....ESPECIALLY when your team is up a man.

I was screaming at the TV in the last 20 minutes everytime a long ball was sent forward...a wayward pass...just sloppy, sloppy, sloppy.

Our passing and vision is just attrocious. Terrible.

Im very surprised we didn't concede within the last 5 minutes. We were just asking for it.

Note for next time....when up a man....pass the ball around, slow the game down, let the other team chase, exploit the advantage, eventually an open space appears...then commence attacking movement. It's not f*cking rocket science....I was gonna smash my television.

James17930
08-09-2008, 08:07 PM
^ and it's so strange because during our good run when we were winning and drawing everything our passing was amazing. One-touch give and goes, giving the other team fits.

And now it's all fallen apart somehow.

kitchener-TFC
08-09-2008, 08:09 PM
LucaGol, I see what you're saying. In the last 10 minutes or so, when Colorado was down a man, Sutton, and the others kept sending balls down to their goalie. Instead, we should've dribbled a bit, burned time, and passed the ball back and forth.
Passing the ball to their goalie, so that he can send it up isn't the best strategy.

LucaGol
08-09-2008, 08:18 PM
LucaGol, I see what you're saying. In the last 10 minutes or so, when Colorado was down a man, Sutton, and the others kept sending balls down to their goalie. Instead, we should've dribbled a bit, burned time, and passed the ball back and forth.
Passing the ball to their goalie, so that he can send it up isn't the best strategy.

Very, very frustrating. Craig Forrest was saying it as well.

Even Ibby...ok fine he's 16....but has he never watched competitive soccer. He's hoofing shots from midfield when he shoulda been slowly taking the ball to the corner to kill some time.

And this is not to rag on players....its just annoying to watch dumb soccer.

On another note.....we've seen how many games now of Jarrod Smith....he's impressing me less and less with each passing game.

Im starting to think that keeping him rather than Andrea Lombardo was a huge mistake.

Not only does Jarrod Smith not score...he has a very poor work rate. Andrea Lombardo didn't score also...but he would run his ass off all game. And for my money, was also a better passer....and he was 3 years younger.

Not to get sidetracked....just occurred to me as I assess Jarrod Smith's performance over the last few games.

brad
08-09-2008, 08:23 PM

Looked like a cramp, he should be fine.

Leprechaun
08-09-2008, 08:24 PM
I agree LucaGol. Smith has to go!! He is absolutely terrible and stood out as the worst player on the field, although he did have a couple nice attempts just wide of the goal...but he is just lacking in the technical ability to compete at this level.

RealG-TFC
08-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Not only does Jarrod Smith not score...he has a very poor work rate. Andrea Lombardo didn't score also...but he would run his ass off all game. And for my money, was also a better passer....and he was 3 years younger.

Not to get sidetracked....just occurred to me as I assess Jarrod Smith's performance over the last few games.

Actually I think Smith is pretty decent, although I agree this game he played badly.

billyfly
08-09-2008, 09:54 PM
Jarrod Smith at the Open practice stood out as having a high skill level. Was disappointed to not see it in real game action today.

Stryker
08-09-2008, 10:03 PM
Did you see Carver at the end of the game? Thought he was gonna jump the moon. He may make some bad calls strategy wise but don't ever say he doesn't care about this team.

NateDoGG
08-09-2008, 10:29 PM
we needed that win, its gonna be a huge confidence builder, great win! we deserved it too, rapids played sooooo dirty, its like we were playin some south american team that loves to goto ground when things are not goin their way........

Oblio2
08-09-2008, 10:33 PM
the goalkeeper wasn't booked for handball is because it isn't handball and falls under a different law altogether. A goalkeeper can only be called for 'handball' outside of his penalty area.

There is no booking for a goalkeeper called for handling a backpass.

ExiledRed
08-09-2008, 11:26 PM
the goalkeeper wasn't booked for handball is because it isn't handball and falls under a different law altogether. A goalkeeper can only be called for 'handball' outside of his penalty area.

I can't ever remember an offensive free kick awarded inside the box, ever.

does someone have one on youtube they can dig up? that warped my mind.

Dirk Diggler
08-10-2008, 12:16 AM

Yeah ... me neither. How is that even possible anyways? If the keeper handles the ball closer than 10 yards to the net, where the hell is the wall supposed to form?

LucaGol
08-10-2008, 12:20 AM
Well you saw it today...they formed on the goal line.

All I can say about that indirect free kick today is that.....it was so embarassing I almost couldn't believe it.

I mean you're 2 feet away...half the net is uncovered...all that is required is to roll it away from the rushing player and slam into the back of the net.

I know...easier said then done....but come on....it was horrendous.

Shakes McQueen
08-10-2008, 12:23 AM

I'm confused... if it wasn't against the rules, then why were we even awarded a free kick?

- Scott

Dirk Diggler
08-10-2008, 12:31 AM
Well you saw it today...they formed on the goal line.

All I can say about that indirect free kick today is that.....it was so embarassing I almost couldn't believe it.

I mean you're 2 feet away...half the net is uncovered...all that is required is to roll it away from the rushing player and slam into the back of the net.

I know...easier said then done....but come on....it was horrendous.

True. Sounds interesting. I've yet to watch today's match so I was quite curious.

LucaGol
08-10-2008, 12:31 AM

I would like to see the actual rule of that.

It doesn't sound right.

If Condoul handled the ball from a backpass that was clearly going into the net....I think some sort of card needs to be shown.

Big Bruva
08-10-2008, 01:02 AM

He called me from Colorado, just got off the phone and said his leg was and is killing him. He went straight back to the hotel to lay down lol

Hooligan69
08-10-2008, 01:03 AM
He called me from Colorado, just got off the phone and said his leg was and is killing him. He went straight back to the hotel to lay down lol

That sucks. Here's hoping he will be good to go for our next game. :(

Big Bruva
08-10-2008, 01:05 AM
That sucks. Here's hoping he will be good to go for our next game. :(

He's alright, said his calf was in pain and then cramp but i think he wil be fine.

James17930
08-10-2008, 01:12 AM
He's alright, said his calf was in pain and then cramp but i think he wil be fine.

Those regeneration sessions they do on the first day back in training after a game will hopefully get this problem fixed up.

BB, just curious, what do the players think about those? Is it fairly common at most clubs?

Bars92
08-10-2008, 01:14 AM
Ricketts is the best player on our team! woooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrd!

The Kingpin
08-10-2008, 01:15 AM

I was saying that to Coll last night, I've watched literally thousands of matches and have never seen that. And the way it was handled by Toronto, I think none of them had seen anything like that either, but it was kinda cool. And by my recollection the keeper was given a yellow card, many have said here it went uncarded...

Bars92
08-10-2008, 01:18 AM
I was saying that to Coll last night, I've watched literally thousands of matches and have never seen that. And the way it was handled by Toronto, I think none of them had seen anything like that either, but it was kinda cool. And by my recollection the keeper was given a yellow card, many have said here it went uncarded...

yeah I have never seen that in 26 years of my life, bet most of the players didn't know what to do.

Keystone FC
08-10-2008, 03:06 AM
We WON! A win we NEEDED! And a win deserved as well.
Now it's on to New York where the Red Bulls Are.......

James17930
08-10-2008, 03:33 AM
yeah I have never seen that in 26 years of my life, bet most of the players didn't know what to do.

I randomly happened to see the exact same situation last year. I was at a bar and there was a Spanish League game on (think one of the teams might have been Villareal but I can't remember).

Anyway, the kick was from the exact same spot, with the wall lined up on the goal line.

The offensive players basically did the same thing the TFC players did -- because they really weren't sure what to do.

JonO
08-10-2008, 07:15 AM
And by my recollection the keeper was given a yellow card, many have said here it went uncarded...
I just checked the cautions on the MLS web site game summary and the keeper is NOT listed as having received a caution...

Oldtimer
08-10-2008, 07:17 AM
I randomly happened to see the exact same situation last year. I was at a bar and there was a Spanish League game on (think one of the teams might have been Villareal but I can't remember).

Anyway, the kick was from the exact same spot, with the wall lined up on the goal line.

The offensive players basically did the same thing the TFC players did -- because they really weren't sure what to do.

I've never seen this professionally, but I did see it once in a youth indoor soccer match. They didn't score either.

The Kingpin
08-10-2008, 07:36 AM
I just checked the cautions on the MLS web site game summary and the keeper is NOT listed as having received a caution...

I checked after and saw that... Hmmmm. I wonder what the rule is, I'm not actually sure to be honest. A bit too lazy to look it up today..

trane
08-10-2008, 08:06 AM
I have seen it before, but it was a long long time ago. If I remember correctly on that occasion they passed the ball back and then the outside player shot, I do not remeber if they scorred on it, but they got a good shot of. I also do not think it was quite as close as this one was. Again it was a long time ago.

Draracle
08-10-2008, 08:47 AM
our Barrett can curve bullets
#19 with a bullet.

The Kingpin
08-10-2008, 09:16 AM
Are you serious?! I've only got a plethora of live SPL, EPL, and MLS matches to go by and I don't think it's usually that bad. I typically pay close attention to extra time minutes and would say that while MLS is usually pretty good, today was a definite exception.

Today, Forest v Reading... 3 minutes extra time, final whistle 93:51... Iy happens all the time. I think TFC supporters are over sensitive re: this particular scenario. As I said, this happens a lot.

bhoybobby
08-10-2008, 09:50 AM

What about the pass back to their goalie? Yellow card/red card. Terrible call. The two handed push by the defender & slamming the ball to the ground on the call, Yellow card.

Basic stuff really at that level, I would hope MLS monitors/coaches refs

ExiledRed
08-10-2008, 09:57 AM
Today, Forest v Reading... 3 minutes extra time, final whistle 93:51... Iy happens all the time. I think TFC supporters are over sensitive re: this particular scenario. As I said, this happens a lot.

Usually this happens because a play is still active. When the ball is reposessed and sent back across the halfway, the ref should end it there.
Five minutes is a lot of extra time, and usually it doesnt go up to a minute beyond.

Last night the guy was preening around the pitch, theatrically looking at his watch and raising the tension for no other reason than he was getting attention.

bhoybobby
08-10-2008, 10:08 AM
Usually this happens because a play is still active. When the ball is reposessed and sent back across the halfway, the ref should end it there.
Five minutes is a lot of extra time, and usually it doesnt go up to a minute beyond.

Last night the guy was preening around the pitch, theatrically looking at his watch and raising the tension for no other reason than he was getting attention.

Spot on, he was trying to help Colorado. That scene where he was basically lifting RR off the field, wtf, refs aren't supposed to do that. That was a legit stretcher situation. That guy was an attention seeking plonker. MLS needs to review that & instruct him accordingly.

london_tfc_fan
08-10-2008, 10:10 AM
I gotta say chad barrett played brilliantly today aside from his goal!! he plays very well defensively up front closing down the defence and winning several free kicks from his persistent defence up front

mclaren
08-10-2008, 10:11 AM

I've seen it about 5 times - teams rarely score because the defenders pack the goal.

Bluenose13
08-10-2008, 10:14 AM
What about the pass back to their goalie? Yellow card/red card. Terrible call. The two handed push by the defender & slamming the ball to the ground on the call, Yellow card.

Basic stuff really at that level, I would hope MLS monitors/coaches refsThe referee called that exactly as he should......A pass back to the keeper that is handled by the keeper is punished by an indirect free kick.....No yellow or red card/no penalty.

Marco2K
08-10-2008, 10:20 AM
I beleive the free kick inside the box happean this year in the brasilian league against vasco and the opposing team did score

Jack
08-10-2008, 10:21 AM
Barrett touched the ball too soon which allowed their defender to get too close. He was still standing too close and should have been on the goal-line.

But they can't move until you touch the ball. Barrett needed to touch it at the last second before Ibbe hit it.

bhoybobby
08-10-2008, 10:24 AM
The referee called that exactly as he should......A pass back to the keeper that is handled by the keeper is punished by an indirect free kick.....No yellow or red card/no penalty.

I think on goal bound efforts, it's a red card. I also think any intentional handball on the park, especially when the ball is over you head, is a yellow.

Any refs, or direct quotes from the rule book?

Bluenose13
08-10-2008, 10:28 AM
I think on goal bound efforts, it's a red card. I also think any intentional handball on the park, especially when the ball is over you head, is a yellow.

Any refs, or direct quotes from the rule book?You are right in any other situation than a pass back to the keeper & that is why it is indirect.

LAW 12 – FOULS AND MISCONDUCT
Indirect Free Kick
An indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a goalkeeper,
inside his own penalty area, commits any of the following four offences:
• controls the ball with his hands for more than six seconds before
releasing it from his possession
• touches the ball again with his hands after he has released it from
his possession and before it has touched another player
• touches the ball with his hands after it has been deliberately kicked
to him by a team-mate
• touches the ball with his hands after he has received it directly from
a throw-in taken by a team-mate
An indirect free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if, in the
opinion of the referee, a player:
• plays in a dangerous manner
• impedes the progress of an opponent
• prevents the goalkeeper from releasing the ball from his hands
• commits any other offence, not previously mentioned in Law 12,
for which play is stopped to caution or send off a player
The indirect free kick is taken from the place where the offence
occurred (see Law 13 – Position of Free Kick).

Jack
08-10-2008, 10:30 AM
^^^ So according to that, what Guevara did was not a penalty.

Fuck.

Bluenose13
08-10-2008, 10:35 AM
Not 100% conclusive but the best I can find in the FIFA rulebook.....

LAW 12 – FOULS AND MISCONDUCT
Sending-off Offences
A player, substitute or substituted player is sent off if he commits any
of the following seven offences:
• serious foul play
• violent conduct
• spitting at an opponent or any other person
• denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring
opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply
to a goalkeeper within his own penalty area)
• denying an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent
moving towards the player’s goal by an offence punishable by a
free kick or a penalty kick
• using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures
• receiving a second caution in the same match
A player, substitute or substituted player who has been sent off must
leave the vicinity of the fi eld of play and the technical area.

If you are going to give an indirect free kick for the infraction, I don't think you could add a red card to that but it doesn't really specify if the keeper does it to stop the ball from going in his own net.......However pretty much any back pass to the keeper that he handles would be heading into the net.

ExiledRed
08-10-2008, 10:53 AM
I'd bet my life that if it were Sutton at BMO, then he would have been carded and a penalty would have been awarded against us, nobody would have dug that rule up either.

Bluenose13
08-10-2008, 10:55 AM
I'd bet my life that if it were Sutton at BMO, then he would have been carded and a penalty would have been awarded against us, nobody would have dug that rule up either.You are a glass half empty kinda guy :p

pubboy
08-10-2008, 10:58 AM

There were quite a few like that when the no back pass rule first got introduced. Thought we messed it up big time though.

ExiledRed
08-10-2008, 11:01 AM
You are a glass half empty kinda guy :p

I've got a half empty glass left?

fuckin' where?

Ossington Mental Youth
08-10-2008, 11:04 AM
I'd bet my life that if it were Sutton at BMO, then he would have been carded and a penalty would have been awarded against us, nobody would have dug that rule up either.

I agree with this 100%.
I hope Carver sends a tape into somebody and that shit gets investigated.
The reffing was as terrible as ever.
It really does make this league look amateur as all fuck

pubboy
08-10-2008, 11:07 AM

Any refs, or direct quotes from the rule book?

No cards necessary - ref played it absolutely right.
The back-pass rule refers to two clauses within Law 12 of the Laws of the Game (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_of_the_Game) of association football (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_football) . These clauses prohibit the goalkeeper (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goalkeeper_%28football%29) from intentionally handling the ball when a team-mate uses his/her feet to intentionally pass them the ball, or from intentionally handling the ball when receiving directly from a throw-in. The goalkeeper is still permitted to use his feet and other body parts to redirect the ball. Conversely, if an outfield player passes the ball back using any part of the body besides the feet, the keeper may pick up the ball. An unintentional pass or touch is not considered an offence.
The actual offence committed is the handling of the ball by the goalkeeper, not the ball being passed back. An indirect free kick (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indirect_free_kick) is awarded to the opposing team from the place where the offence occurred, i.e., where the goalkeeper deliberately handled the ball (unless the offence was committed within the goal area (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_pitch#Penalty_and_goal_areas), in which case the kick is taken from a point on the forward edge of the goal area closest to where the offence occurred). If the goalkeeper handles the ball outside the penalty area (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penalty_area) (whether receiving the ball from a team-mate or not), a direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team where the offence occurred

Axeman
08-10-2008, 11:10 AM
I think I missed some news, was Robert for last night's game?

Axeman
08-10-2008, 11:11 AM
I think I missed some news, was Robert (injured) for last night's game?

Axeman
08-10-2008, 11:13 AM
"At least the refs are being consistent, consistently bad!" - Craig Forrest

Bluenose13
08-10-2008, 11:14 AM
I've got a half empty glass left?

fuckin' where?:rofl:.....Well played.

Oblio2
08-10-2008, 01:10 PM

Alan Shearer blasting one for either Newcastle or England from about 5 yards.
If it's closer to the line than 10 yeards, the defence has to go to the line.....

Oblio2
08-10-2008, 01:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVc85oeB7jY

Oblio2
08-10-2008, 01:16 PM
and in the MLS from a few years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLkLNqLKHtA

Oblio2
08-10-2008, 06:06 PM
I was sure Shearer did it for England too

bhoybobby
08-10-2008, 10:01 PM
No cards necessary - ref played it absolutely right.
The back-pass rule refers to two clauses within Law 12 of the Laws of the Game (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_of_the_Game) of association football (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_football) . These clauses prohibit the goalkeeper (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goalkeeper_%28football%29) from intentionally handling the ball when a team-mate uses his/her feet to intentionally pass them the ball, or from intentionally handling the ball when receiving directly from a throw-in. The goalkeeper is still permitted to use his feet and other body parts to redirect the ball. Conversely, if an outfield player passes the ball back using any part of the body besides the feet, the keeper may pick up the ball. An unintentional pass or touch is not considered an offence.
The actual offence committed is the handling of the ball by the goalkeeper, not the ball being passed back. An indirect free kick (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indirect_free_kick) is awarded to the opposing team from the place where the offence occurred, i.e., where the goalkeeper deliberately handled the ball (unless the offence was committed within the goal area (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_pitch#Penalty_and_goal_areas), in which case the kick is taken from a point on the forward edge of the goal area closest to where the offence occurred). If the goalkeeper handles the ball outside the penalty area (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penalty_area) (whether receiving the ball from a team-mate or not), a direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team where the offence occurred

Somone should inform Craig Forrest & Dobson. Thanks for the post

Blizzard
08-10-2008, 10:08 PM
I think I missed some news, was Robert (injured) for last night's game?

Out with a hamstring injury!

ag futbol
08-10-2008, 10:08 PM
Wow, watching that Newcastle FK in comparison to ours. They look very organized. They put their own men infront of the wall so the other team can't rush out, no huge run up, just a quick blast, and they actually bothered to fake it once so the other team wouldn't charge up really quickly.

loconet
08-10-2008, 10:09 PM
I'm surprised there is so much talk about that call. It was a back pass (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back-pass_rule) resulting in an indirect free kick in the box. Rare but it happens...