PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Johnston blog - 99 problems

denime
08-09-2008, 07:00 AM
99 problems

If Mo Johnston knew all along that Toronto FC would receive only a third-round pick in the 2009 SuperDraft for Jeff Cunningham, (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2008/08/08/cunningham_jeff_traded/) then the timing of this deal is troubling.

If a pick was the acknowledged return, the criticized-since-spring Cunningham should have been dealt months ago. Why wait until the roster is in full crisis mode to cut the ropes on a player with no injuries, cards or international commitments?

As it stands, and unless the trade is the first move towards freeing up cash and a roster spot, TFC face a season-breaking month of August with a trio of delicate strikers up front.

Danny Dichio will not return as the player he was before the concussion; Chad Barrett can hope the first-game cramping is not a product of the FieldTurf (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/scorecard/othernews.asp?articleID=237771) and young Ibrahim is still learning the game at a professional level.

Nevermind the fact that Cunningham played his best game since the road win in Los Angeles when paired with Barrett. It seems Dallas saw something in the audition last weekend.

The widely-accepted theory that the trade with FC Dallas was the first move in acquiring another striker is difficult to accept. Have we forgotten the fact that it took nearly two months to complete the Brian McBride swap? The transfer window closes next Friday and I am just wary of drinking that Kool-Aid.

(In fact, the Kool-Aid in my cup tastes more like a smokescreen: Dichio returns, he brings a false sense of security with him and Cunningham is quickly pushed out the door.)

Read More (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/blogs/2008/08/08/johnston_cunningham/)

Bobo
08-09-2008, 09:43 AM
Definitely agree. In our situation, this is NOT a case of addition by subtraction, should have kept him for at least today's game and make the deal afterwards. Would have given us a week and a half to find someone else.

MG42
08-09-2008, 10:03 AM
my confidence in Mo has never been so low, but I think criticism should be held until after the window closes...sure we should have had a striker by now, but give him until the window closes....then freak out! :)

Don Julio
08-09-2008, 11:20 AM
99 problems and the pitch is one.

DigzTFC!
08-09-2008, 11:30 AM
Come on...really. Do you believe that? I understand that some people really hate MLSE, but our personelle signings have nothing to do with MLSE.

For example
Robert - played for Carver
Robinson - Mo tried to get him at NYRB
Ricketts - connections through Carver
Guevara - played for Mo at NY
Tebily - connection through Carver and Robert
Wynne - played for Mo at NYRB
Dunivant - played for Mo at NYRB

What about this roster shows MLSE involvement? Mo has a lot of answering to do and MLSE has none except that of the possible inclusion of the Argos at BMO. How in the world would Peddie micro manage soccer? HOW? We complain about our scouting department or lack there of and now your assuming Peddie is managing TFC above Mo? Ridiculous. I think you have a hatred for the organization, but this makes no rational sense.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-09-2008, 11:51 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thank you

DigzTFC!
08-09-2008, 12:20 PM
You do know that TFC operates within a cap system don't you? We've been linked to plenty of DP calibre players without a signing. To propose a offer sheet for a player, MLSE would have to approve that...so it seems they have no problem signing a DP (nuno gomes). This will be my last post about this subject as this is really ridiculous

Bobo
08-09-2008, 12:38 PM
dont put all the blame on MO, that bitter taste in your mouth is MLSE flavour. i hate to use the leafs and raptors comparison but i have to because thats exactly what it looks like here. MLSE is notorious for micro managing teams they show an interest in, and unfortunately they've shown an interest in TFC. Mo's hand are probably tied just like Fergusons were with he leafs and even quinn before him. its too bad they cant give Mo complete autonomy like Colangelo has with the raptors, thats probably the only thing MLSE got right, and thats why the raptors are the ony winning MLSE team right now.

You're right, I'd rather NOT have a team too.....

I dislike ML$E, but give credit where its due. Mo's hands are tied more from MLS regulations than ML$E's shenanigans.

Marc"2L"
08-09-2008, 12:43 PM
99 problems and the pitch is one.

I'm using this on my facebook and I'll be making a picture/poster type deal with BMO using this as a caption...

If thats alright with you

Shakes McQueen
08-09-2008, 01:08 PM
its a fact that quinn and ferguson had to go to the board for approval before making any singings and trades (and in the process over the years said no to big names like gretzky and lecavalier), and colangelo does not. THIS IS FACT! deny it all you want but this is well know...and i assume thats whats happening with Mo, because MLSE is very involved in TFC, and if Mo had complete autonomy we'd have a DP by now. forget the turf too, thats another excuse like the salary cap, there are DPs in this league playing of turf... it makes me sick when people stand by MLSE with blind faith, not knowing how it actualy is. thats why sports fans in toronto have the reputation for being homers.

The turf is an excuse? You do know that Huckerby has openly said that the FieldTurf was the reason he didn't sign with Toronto, right? Not *a* reason, THE reason.

Your MLSE tin-foil hat conjecture falls apart the second you look at Brian Colangelo, who has full autonomy to do what he needs to do with the Raptors. The Leafs have just been mismanaged, period. On every level.

Mo has had our club linked to all kinds of big international names, none of which have unfortunately worked out yet, for whatever reason. But one will eventually. The fact that it takes a few years to get a decent scouting department running is probably one such reason.

Also,

"because MLSE is very involved in TFC, and if Mo had complete autonomy we'd have a DP by now."

Would you like to qualify any of that statement with some proof? You, nor I, have any idea what is going on in the Toronto FC front office, and what problems Mo has run into, regarding a DP striker.

However, I have seen nothing to indicate that MLSE is any more "involved" with the club, than they are with any of their other franchises, such as the Raptors. Or that they have given Mo any more or less autonomy than they give a guy like Colangelo.

And on a side note, MLSE also seems to have gotten the message with the Leafs, and have given Fletcher the money to do what he needs to do. Buying out a fan favourite in Darcy Tucker, is evidence of that.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
08-09-2008, 01:22 PM
^try reading my whole posts next time before you reply. and i dont care what huckerby says, turf is the easy excuse for him and anyon else that doesnt want to come here... and my proof is ex leafs executives like bill waters who came out and told it like it really is. also, why do you think scotty bowman turned donw the leafs, because he's not going to be anyones puppet.

The Leafs turned down Scotty Bowman.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2008/01/13/leafs-bowman.html?ref=rss

Your "proof", is once again exclusively the Maple Leafs (not the Raptors), for things that have happened in the past. That also does nothing to prove that MLSE is any more or less involved in Toronto FC, than they are in any other franchise.

You also have nothing to prove that players are using the turf as an excuse not to sign here, aside from your own personal belief that it is true.

Anyhoo, I'm done here.

- Scott

Kickit09
08-09-2008, 01:28 PM
You also have nothing to prove that players are using the turf as an excuse not to sign here, aside from your own personal belief that it is true.

when i hear them say they dont want to play on turf and then see other DPs playing on turf for other teams, thats an excuse to me... you think all stadiums in europe are grass too?

Shakes McQueen
08-09-2008, 01:36 PM
bill waters worked at the highest level at MLSE. he is very creditable and has no reason to lie. and he's not the only one who's came out and said the things he did, he's just the only one tht comes to mind right now.

Never said he lied.

- Scott