PDA

View Full Version : Portland joinning MLS!

james
08-08-2008, 10:55 AM
well last night Seattle was playing at Portland on Fox Sports World and they said Portland are pushing to get a team in 2011. And if they do get a team welcome aboard because they deffinitly had a sick atmosphere last night. The stadium was a little wierd shaped because its a baseball stadium but it didnt look that bad to be honest. And with the roof on that stadium it sounded amazing, the singing was louder and more clear then any team in MLS right now. Makes me wish we had a roof:(

James17930
08-08-2008, 11:19 AM
They've announced their formal bid, but nothing has been finalized. They will be competing against Van. and Mtl.

And they would need a new stadium.

rocker
08-08-2008, 11:26 AM
oct 15 is the deadline for applications... then MLS will announce around the MLS Cup or in 2009.

NF-FC
08-08-2008, 11:42 AM
They've announced their formal bid, but nothing has been finalized. They will be competing against Van. and Mtl.

And they would need a new stadium.

They need a new baseball stadium and minor renovations to PGE park. The stadium they are in now is the stadium they plan to use in MLS.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1280/1398336614_3cf74e29b4_o.jpg

NF-FC
08-08-2008, 11:45 AM
http://l.yimg.com/g/images/spaceball.gif

yellowfellow
08-08-2008, 11:47 AM
their stadium is a joke. one side is a street (you can watch for free standing there) and one side is a building (also free).

however, their fans are really good. I was there for last year's friendlies. They sang the Canadian national anthem! They deserve a MLS team.

Cashcleaner
08-08-2008, 11:59 AM
I have my doubts Portland is gonna get a franchise over other cities like Vancouver, Montreal, or St. Louis. I'm not ruling them out in the long term, mind.

koryo
08-08-2008, 12:17 PM
I have my doubts Portland is gonna get a franchise over other cities like Vancouver, Montreal, or St. Louis. I'm not ruling them out in the long term, mind.

If the organization can meet the requirements, then they should. The support out there knows what they're doing.

Draracle
08-08-2008, 12:56 PM

I think they have a good chance. The MLS wants a Toronto style fanbase, but in the USA. Portland is their best chance at that, imo. Instant rivalry with Seattle too. The only concern would be the size of the market and how much value it would ad to the TV contracts. (which is Van and Mont problem too.)

Cashcleaner
08-08-2008, 01:25 PM
If the organization can meet the requirements, then they should. The support out there knows what they're doing.

Oh, I'm very familiar with their crowds for USL. But we all know that won't be enough for any team. Is there a solid stadium plan in place? How will games be televised? etc.

Don't get me wrong, I think they will make an excellent addition to the league, just not anytime soon I don't think.

james
08-08-2008, 01:39 PM
from what i read on a facebook group for Portland supporters is that the Baseball team that currently play at this stadium called PGE Park have plans to build a new baseball park while Portland Timbers plan to renovate the PGE park and add an extra stand so it will look like a real soccer stadium.

They have great fans and i would rather they get a team then say St.Louis or Las Vegas or Atlanta or basicly over any other USA city. However Montreal also deserves a team just as much as Portland and they are a step ahead of Portland as far as stadium goes. Only problem is Portland isnt a big city and thats the worry that MLS wont give them a team for that reason.

james
08-08-2008, 02:02 PM
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd189/James_David_Champken/PortlandStadium1.jpg

james
08-08-2008, 02:02 PM
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd189/James_David_Champken/Portland4.jpg

james
08-08-2008, 02:03 PM
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd189/James_David_Champken/PortlandStadium2.jpg

james
08-08-2008, 02:06 PM
if the Baseball team is to leave all the Portland Timbers really need to do is add a new stand on the opposite side. The stand probably wouldnt be as big as the other 2 sides but it would be a pretty decent stadium i must say. ANd right in the city center unlike other MLS teams who play in the suburbs.

stugautz
08-08-2008, 02:12 PM
Is that grass or turf there? I see lines on the field.

james
08-08-2008, 02:12 PM
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd189/James_David_Champken/Portland8.jpg

Carts
08-08-2008, 02:25 PM
if the Baseball team is to leave all the Portland Timbers really need to do is add a new stand on the opposite side. The stand probably wouldnt be as big as the other 2 sides but it would be a pretty decent stadium i must say. ANd right in the city center unlike othjer MLS teams who play in the suburbs.

I would add a small group of seats, luxury suites, and a media centre to that side...

Get the rich corporate money for the boxes with their own entrance, corporate money for the limited number of seats and having their own concessions etc etc etc - and have the TV camera on that side facing the fans...

Also doing so, they could put the supporters right at the half - making them visible to the TV cameras (like DC United)...

Carts...

james
08-08-2008, 02:36 PM
They already have the cameras at the end with no stand so when they are on TV you are facing the end with the stands. On TV you cant tell that the opposite side has no stand.

The supporters currently stand behind the goal.

The Stadium opened in 1926 and currently holds 19,566 for Soccer games. Id say add a 5,000 or so seat stand on the side with out a stand and it would be pretty nice.

RicoSuave44
08-08-2008, 02:46 PM
honestly, love of SSSs all aside, i love this ballpark. it's old and fairly intimate. the park has history. portland already draws exceptionally well for a USL team, better than many mls teams. put a stand in that left field and you'll have one of the most unique, aesthetic, best atmopheres in MLS.

CanuckPete
08-08-2008, 03:11 PM
Holy misleading thread titles.

james
08-08-2008, 04:46 PM
honestly, love of SSSs all aside, i love this ballpark. it's old and fairly intimate. the park has history. portland already draws exceptionally well for a USL team, better than many mls teams. put a stand in that left field and you'll have one of the most unique, aesthetic, best atmopheres in MLS.

ya i agree, i usually dont like teams playing in stadiums other then SSS ones. But in this case it could be made into a sweet soccer stadium.

CretanBull
08-08-2008, 06:37 PM
It's the best they can do with a baseball park, but still - I *hate* that kind of distance between the audience and the pitch.

rocker
08-08-2008, 06:43 PM
i read somewhere that they would move the field closer to the stands on the one side, and then build permanent seats at the end that extend out to the one goal.

BBBulldog
08-09-2008, 12:50 AM
:D

http://www.bastaic.com/ultras/kc4/8_3_2008_dc_kc_a.jpg

Keystone FC
08-09-2008, 03:01 AM

I would put Portland over St. Louis for 2 reasons. Deep pocket ownership and a built stadium. St. Louis has plans for a SSS and a community to be built around it but that's it. As far as ownership goes St. Louis is still looking for a sugardaddy while Portland has the money, ownership, and fanbase to make Portland a MLS market.
I do think St. Louis will be in the MLS but at a later date.

NF-FC
08-09-2008, 07:57 AM
Here's a pic from the 2003 women's world cup with temp. stands along the side
http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/2672153.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1934A2752006EF5F0ED3E62A34486D6237E 5A5397277B4DC33E

Capacity was about 27,500

NF-FC
08-09-2008, 08:00 AM
the best part about the stadium, not only the downtown setting, but note the LRT lines on the bottom of the pic. Public transit=Epic win!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8b/PGEParkpano.jpg/800px-PGEParkpano.jpg

NF-FC
08-09-2008, 11:28 AM
i got bored, here's what PGE could be:

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg283/ALX_DYCK/pgereno.jpg

RealG-TFC
08-09-2008, 11:31 AM
Holy misleading thread titles.

Indeed

Wagner
08-09-2008, 11:50 AM
The Portland Crew??

dupont
08-09-2008, 12:03 PM
I'm obviously rooting for the Canadian teams to get in because it would create great rivalries for us and it would put more pressure on national tv stations to up the broadcast quality since the sport would apply to more parts of Canada.

Having said that I think Portland and St Louis are my favorite cities up for expansion on the American side.
Las Vegas, Atlanta and New York 2 are infuriating ideas in comparison.

boban
08-09-2008, 12:05 PM
I'm obviously rooting for the Canadian teams to get in because it would create great rivalries for us and it would put more pressure on national tv stations to up the broadcast quality since the sport would apply to more parts of Canada.

Having said that I think Portland and St Louis are my favorite cities up for expansion on the American side.
Las Vegas, Atlanta and New York 2 are infuriating ideas in comparison.
Where would you put Ottawa amongst the US cities since you seem to support the Canadian angle?

dupont
08-09-2008, 12:08 PM
Where would you put Ottawa amongst the US cities since you seem to support the Canadian angle?

I don't want Ottawa to get a team because I really have a feeling they wouldn't be able to support it and make it as successful as it needs to be. Vancouver and Montreal or bust. (especially Montreal)
Plus I think a team in the west and one in Quebec would be much better catalysts for greater TV and news exposure than another team in Ontario.

So basically I'd rather have a well thought out American city get a team than Ottawa. Portland and St Louis for example. I'd rather have Ottawa get a team than Las Vegas though. I'd rather *anywhere* get a team over Vegas.

NF-FC
08-09-2008, 01:40 PM
#17-Montreal
#18-Vancouver

move Columbus to St. Louis
and Chivas to Portland

18 team league, single table, home and away fixtures, and respect FIFA dates

Redcoe15
08-09-2008, 02:02 PM
In no particular order, Montreal, Vancouver, St. Louis and Portland Ore. are my choices for the next MLS expansion sites.

However, do not rule out the possibility that Garber and company could have a massive collective brainfart and award teams to undeserving markets like Atlanta, Miami, and a second New York side over any or all of the mentioned above. This is, after all, about chasing money on a national (re American) level and extending the league's "footprint", something a certain commissioner of another sport tried to accomplish.

RPB_Brantford_08
08-09-2008, 02:11 PM
Portland will be a great addition to MLS and a good rivalry with Seattle, these are the type of ,arkets MLS should be aiming for. good luck Portland.

reggie
08-09-2008, 05:48 PM
there would be some great games between portland,seattle and vancouver if they were in the league together....

rocker
08-09-2008, 06:07 PM
my guess is in each of the next two expansions (to get to 20) they'll bring in a canadian team... first montreal + maybe portland... then vancouver and maybe st.louis or NY2.

nfitz
08-09-2008, 08:33 PM
#17-Montreal
#18-Vancouver

move Columbus to St. Louis
and Chivas to PortlandHeck. move Colorado somewhere. That empty stadium today was pathetic.

Keystone FC
08-10-2008, 03:22 AM
Heck. move Colorado somewhere. That empty stadium today was pathetic.
Talk about your epic failures. Brand new SSS, rebranded marketing, and then MOVES due to low gate. WOW!

James17930
08-10-2008, 03:44 AM
PGE would be good if it was soccer-specific. As in no baseball.

If the baseball team's gonna stay there they gotta move. You can't have dirt mounds on a field. That's even worse then throwball lines.

NF-FC
08-10-2008, 05:58 AM
Heck. move Colorado somewhere. That empty stadium today was pathetic.

they should move it to Denver, just like Frisco should move to Dallas and Bridgeview should move to Chicago. Even though these SSS have provided some stability to the league they will ultimately hold it back.

Broadview
08-10-2008, 02:11 PM
Is that grass or turf there? I see lines on the field.

Before this year they had NeXturf, that's what you see in the pic with the grid iron lines.

This year they installed fancy FieldTurf, like us. I was just watching Portland and Seattle play on it actually.

NeXturf "blades of grass" are about half as tall as FieldTurf "blades of grass". As of yet, nobody has perfected removing the lines on artificial surfaces. I googled away and there's patents pending out there, but nothing tangible.

Seattle has said that they are not going to have throwball lines on Qwest's fieldturf for Sounder games next year, but we'll see how that works out.

james
08-10-2008, 02:19 PM
Here's a pic from the 2003 women's world cup with temp. stands along the side
http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/2672153.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1934A2752006EF5F0ED3E62A34486D6237E 5A5397277B4DC33E

Capacity was about 27,500

thats a sweet stadium. If the basball team moves out i so hope they give Portland a team in MLS!

james
08-10-2008, 02:22 PM
In no particular order, Montreal, Vancouver, St. Louis and Portland Ore. are my choices for the next MLS expansion sites.

However, do not rule out the possibility that Garber and company could have a massive collective brainfart and award teams to undeserving markets like Atlanta, Miami, and a second New York side over any or all of the mentioned above. This is, after all, about chasing money on a national (re American) level and extending the league's "footprint", something a certain commissioner of another sport tried to accomplish.

if i got to pick the next 2 teams joinning MLS i would pick Montreal and Portland because they allready have big fan base and have stadiums that only need some exspansion to them.

As for Vancouver i really want them to get a team, and they do have a fan base already as well. However i dont want them to play at BC Place. That place is shit and would look ugly seeing the Whitecaps play there in half empty stadium. I dont want them to get a team untill they get a new SSS built.

Vancouver MLS
03-10-2009, 02:26 PM
well not so fast; for Paulson's Stadium plan to pass they need one more Yes vote Wednesday on top of Mayor Adams and Leonard.

Not a certainty at this point. Portland could still fail:

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2009/03/adams_leonard_defend_soccer_de.html (http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2009/03/adams_leonard_defend_soccer_de.html)

http://www.portlandtribune.com/news/story.php?story_id=123670400456450000 (http://www.portlandtribune.com/news/story.php?story_id=123670400456450000)

Super Cereal
03-10-2009, 03:01 PM
Fuck this thread title scared me.

At least there's still hope. Come on NO votes!

Vancouver MLS
03-10-2009, 03:23 PM
If Portland votes NO then Ottawa is IN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Super Cereal
03-10-2009, 03:25 PM
If Portland votes NO then Ottawa is IN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doubt it, but that's why I'm clinging to a ray of hope.

With the way Garber has handled it, I wouldn't be surprised if he just gave Vancouver the expansion spot, and dropped the other one for no reason.

Maybe it's just me, but he seemed reluctant to give one Canadian city a franchise, I doubt he'd give both to a Canadian city.

But I can hope!

flatpicker
03-10-2009, 03:27 PM
^ that's the way I'm feeling

I would be shocked if they gave 2 Canadian cities teams.
But it sure would be cool if they did!

oxygenatedbrain
03-10-2009, 03:52 PM
How did it take "spiral" so long to find this board? I guess he senses the tightening of the noose on V's...