PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Friday ,Aug.08

denime
08-08-2008, 06:06 AM
Dichio returns from concussion
TFC's leading scorer participates in first full practice in a month and could play vs. Rapids
Morgan Campbell

When Danny Dichio first suffered a concussion early last month, he tried to play tough guy, returning to practice two weeks later and hoping the symptoms – severe headaches, nausea and dizziness – would disappear.
Toronto FC's starting goalkeeper, Greg Sutton, knew better.
Last June, Sutton tried to rush back from a concussion suffered while training with Canada's national team, and wound up missing the rest of the season. So when he saw Dichio come back to practice, he summoned the trainers and helped usher the team's leading scorer to the sideline.
And Dichio can't thank him enough.
A month after his injury, Dichio participated in his first full practice with the team yesterday, and will travel with them to tomorrow's game against the Colorado Rapids.
TFC coaches aren't sure if he will play, but Dichio thanks Sutton for helping him even reach this point.
"Sutts has briefed me though a lot of the symptoms and when they're going to get better," Dichio said. "He explained a lot of the frustrating stuff ... he's talked me through it."

Read more (http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Soccer/article/474296)

TFC midfielder suspended
LARRY MILLSON

Toronto — TFC midfielder Amado Guevara has been suspended for one extra game by the MLS disciplinary committee and fined an extra $250 for the red card he picked up late in Sunday's 2-0 loss to FC Dallas for striking an opponent, Pablo Ricchetti, in the face in the penalty area in the 78th minute. The result was a penalty shot that Kenny Cooper made to give Dallas its first goal.
Guevara was ejected from Sunday's game and received the automatic one-game suspension and $250 fine as a result of the red card. Guevara will miss Saturday's game in Colorado and the Aug. 17 game in New York. Guevara then will join the Honduras national team for a World Cup qualifier.

Read more (http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080807.wtfcsuspend0807/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home)

Danny Dichio may play Saturday for Toronto FC
Leading scorer has been sidelined since July 1

Toronto FC striker Danny Dichio could see action in Saturday's road game against the Colorado Rapids.
Dichio, 33, hasn't played for the Major League Soccer club since suffering a concussion in a 1-0 loss to the Vancouver Whitecaps in a Canadian Champions League game on Canada Day, July 1.
The Englishman, who leads Toronto in scoring with five goals this season, participated in a full training session with his teammates Thursday and coach John Carver confirmed Dichio will travel with the team to Colorado and could be used as a substitute in Saturday's contest.
"Danny has trained the last couple of days and says he's fine, so he is going to travel with us," Carver is quoted on Toronto FC's official website.

Read more (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2008/08/07/dichio-injury.html)

Injured Dichio eyes TFC return
By LANCE HORNBY (lance.hornby@sunmedia.ca), SUN MEDIA

One way or another, Danny Dichio hopes to get his head out of the clouds tomorrow when Toronto FC reaches the rarefied air of Colorado.
Sidelined with a concussion since July 1, Dichio is anxious to get back and help TFC's punchless offence, whose ineffectiveness has contributed to the club's six-game winless streak.
The trouble is that high altitudes can be the worst place for athletes coming off head injuries to test themselves.
"He will travel with us," a cautious coach John Carver said yesterday at BMO Field, "but at the end of the day, if I've waited this long for him, then two weeks won't make that much more difference."
As long as he doesn't suffer any ill effects on the plane ride this morning, Dichio seems willing to take something of a risk by training hard tonight and playing tomorrow against the Colorado Rapids in suburban Denver.

Read more (http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/OtherSports/2008/08/08/6382566-sun.html)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/SUNshineGirl/home.html) :hurray:

TFC_Junky
08-08-2008, 06:35 AM
Come on Dichio, please be ready to go, we desperately need you to get something going...

Thanks Denime

Mark in Ottawa
08-08-2008, 07:22 AM
Danny D. coming in off the bench late in the game if need be... sounds like a plan.

Oldtimer
08-08-2008, 07:54 AM
Danny D. coming in off the bench late in the game if need be... sounds like a plan.

IF he can play, he will turn this team around, just like when he returned at the last game of last season.

Oldtimer
08-08-2008, 07:59 AM
Guevara's extra game suspension won't actually cost us anything, as he was going to be away with the Honduran national squad anyway.

ACSertL
08-08-2008, 08:05 AM
Its been mentioned in other threads so I will echo it here. I don't want Dichio to be rushed back in any circumstance. Concussions are serious injuries and I am afraid that with Dichio being a target man he might do something to reaggrivate the injury.

On the flip side, we are really hurting for someone to put the ball into the net...but even then I wouldn't want to risk the big man's health. I will leave it for the physios to decide.

CoachGT
08-08-2008, 08:37 AM
Worse comes to worse, I want Dichio in uniform on the end of the bench. Let Barrett start alongside Cunningham. Bring in Ibbe if needed, and maybe bring Danny in for a few minutes late in the game. I would expect them to take Barrett off early to protect against injury and because of fitness (especially at altitude).

But I'm glad Danny's there!

bgnewf
08-08-2008, 08:40 AM
Guevara's extra game suspension won't actually cost us anything, as he was going to be away with the Honduran national squad anyway.

Actually that's not correct. He was going to be available for the game against Red Bull on the 17th, then go to the Honduras match on the 20th and be back for our game on the 23rd.

Carts
08-08-2008, 08:41 AM
The only thing that could trump today's "sunshine" is word that Danny D is so close, if not ready to go... :)

Great News...!!!

Carts...

ACSertL
08-08-2008, 08:45 AM
Worse comes to worse, I want Dichio in uniform on the end of the bench. Let Barrett start alongside Cunningham. Bring in Ibbe if needed, and maybe bring Danny in for a few minutes late in the game. I would expect them to take Barrett off early to protect against injury and because of fitness (especially at altitude).

But I'm glad Danny's there!

Yeah, a bit of a morale boost might help the team.

Technorgasm
08-08-2008, 09:04 AM
WALK ON DANNY!. . if he's ready to rock!

Would it not be totally awesome if we saw a repeat performance of the game at BMO?

To date, that is our most thrilling performance.

DD volley for goal #1
Rickets gets not only his first, but second after beating 2 defenders. . . . gorgeous!

just like the Sunshine girl. . OH MY !!!

Oldtimer
08-08-2008, 11:09 AM
Actually that's not correct. He was going to be available for the game against Red Bull on the 17th, then go to the Honduras match on the 20th and be back for our game on the 23rd.

No, you're wrong:

TFC, which is winless in its last ten matches in all competitions, will certainly miss Guevara's creativity in the midfield, particularly with Maurice Edu currently with the U.S. Olympic Team in Beijing. However, Guevara was set to miss the August 17 match against New York anyway while on international duty with Honduras, who have a World Cup 2010 qualifier against Mexico on August 20.http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=809632

So the additional game won't cost us anything.

James17930
08-08-2008, 11:31 AM
I don't Danny playing yet. Still way too early.

But if he can be there for support, that's great.

Mark in Ottawa
08-08-2008, 01:00 PM
Jeff Cunningham traded to Dallas... :)
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2008/08/08/toronto-fc-cunningham.html