PDA

View Full Version : Match Day 8 - TFC @ Charlotte Sat April 13 7:38pm - It Really Seems Like My Head

OgtheDim
04-08-2024, 05:10 PM
Is Spinning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk8_3m9wt5A&ab_channel=Gentleman

On We Go

Have At It People

Joe Kool
04-09-2024, 07:42 AM
I don't know what to expect anymore. Last game was the first game I felt like it last season again and wanted to turn the TV off before it was done.

jloome
04-10-2024, 09:30 AM
Well... with our roster the way it is, this goes two ways. We fight like dogs, don't fuck up and squeak a narrow win or draw (like the first time we played them) or... we fight like dogs, but make lots of mistakes, get beat on the counter three times and wonder if the slide will continue.

We don't have the ability for much in between.

James17930
04-10-2024, 06:58 PM
Without both Insigne and Richie we're pretty toothless going forward, and our defence seems to have regressed. And it's on the road.

Smells like another loss.

MikeForbes
04-11-2024, 12:20 PM
https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/1778470699142726004

Canary10
04-11-2024, 12:37 PM
https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/1778470699142726004

Still can't seem to keep people healthy, eh.

OgtheDim
04-11-2024, 02:05 PM
Wait, Spicer had a broken toe when he was drafted...is this the same injury?

Like, did we actually have a guy come back to quickly from a broken toe?!?!

Edit - says its a toe sprain - same toe

OgtheDim
04-11-2024, 04:41 PM
FWIW

Herdman presser today

Really interesting discussion of

a) will have to change style from being high intensity when goes to 2 games a week

b) college Spicer was at had no real recovery process

https://www.torontofc.ca/video/training-sound-john-herdman-april-11-2024#training-sound-john-herdman-april-11-2024

MikeForbes
04-13-2024, 11:01 AM
https://twitter.com/TorontoFC/status/1779177842170868153

ag futbol
04-13-2024, 11:07 AM
https://twitter.com/TorontoFC/status/1779177842170868153
Total side note but has anyone kept track of tfc2 lately? Anyone we should keep our eye out for?

SoccMan2
04-13-2024, 11:39 AM
Have been doing these type of short signings for the past what three shitty seasons from TFC2 who yes I know it’s all about development but have more or less been just as bad as the first team since their inception , and they are winless and already bottom dwellers in MLS pro so far already .The less of these signings the better , they have to figure out these ongoing injuries season after season it’s getting beyond ridiculous.

jloome
04-13-2024, 12:15 PM
Have been doing these type of short signings for the past what three shitty seasons from TFC2 who yes I know it’s all about development but have more or less been just as bad as the first team since their inception , and they are winless and already bottom dwellers in MLS pro so far already .The less of these signings the better , they have to figure out these ongoing injuries season after season it’s getting beyond ridiculous.

More than any of that, they have to rebuild their academy system as a proper academy system, with scholarships and free rides rather than paid involvement.

We lose all of the best young prospects long before they even get to the TFCII stage, pilfered from our system . Most of the successful young Canadian players in MLS AND overseas have, at some point, either been in TFC's system or were rejected stupidly by TFC in their early teens.

We need an academy-based system that has built-in schooling components and all costs picked up. After a few seasons of seeing their child as just more grist for the MLSE money mill, I can see it being a relatively easy decision for a parent to pull them out and send to them to a system with a better track record of producing pros.

Does anyone know what position this kid plays? I wonder if Herdman is looking for a second anchor/wrecker, realizing he's not going to get that from Longstaff/Osorio/Coello.

Marlowm1
04-13-2024, 01:53 PM
Does anyone know what position this kid plays? I wonder if Herdman is looking for a second anchor/wrecker, realizing he's not going to get that from Longstaff/Osorio/Coello.

According to John Molinaro's website, Andrei Dumitru made his debut with TFC II last Sunday. At the start, he was lined up as part of a front three, but during the game, it sound like he was playing more like a deep lying midfielder, who was providing support to the backline.

jloome
04-13-2024, 02:11 PM
According to John Molinaro's website, Andrei Dumitru made his debut with TFC II last Sunday. At the start, he was lined up as part of a front three, but during the game, it sound like he was playing more like a deep lying midfielder, who was providing support to the backline.

I notice we plucked him from League1 last season. I wonder if he's been brought up partly to put some heat on the guys ahead of him. Maybe Herdman's trying to send them a message he's looking at other options. Nothing motivates a guy like the prospect of going from playing to sitting.

ag futbol
04-13-2024, 02:20 PM
^ I thought this was already the case? (At least from 14 and up).

Are we seriously running pay-for-play? They might as well shut themselves down on those grounds.

Red CB Toronto
04-13-2024, 02:55 PM
I notice we plucked him from League1 last season. I wonder if he's been brought up partly to put some heat on the guys ahead of him. Maybe Herdman's trying to send them a message he's looking at other options. Nothing motivates a guy like the prospect of going from playing to sitting.

He has been in the TFC's academy since 2016. TFCA had a L1O entry in the fall league last season.

jloome
04-13-2024, 03:47 PM
He has been in the TFC's academy since 2016. TFCA had a L1O entry in the fall league last season.

I had forgotten that. Thanks dude.

jloome
04-13-2024, 03:51 PM
^ I thought this was already the case? (At least from 14 and up).

Are we seriously running pay-for-play? They might as well shut themselves down on those grounds.

I think you're right and I'm just forgetting that it's u-14 up as just a club academy now. But I don't know about costs, schooling etc. I see no sign the club is picking that up (so that they can get kids from outside the GTA more easily). European clubs have been doing it for years.

They still have Pay-for-play but they do it in seasonal 'TFC Academy Camps' now, which are open whomever has the dough.

MikeForbes
04-13-2024, 05:30 PM
The team

https://twitter.com/TorontoFC/status/1779280188863324509

Yuushalinsky
04-13-2024, 05:39 PM
Please just don't look awful

OgtheDim
04-13-2024, 05:51 PM
Coello & turf passing....

Wait...is that a 4-4-2?

MikeForbes
04-13-2024, 05:59 PM
Coello & turf passing....

Wait...is that a 4-4-2?

Google has it as a 3-4-3 with Petretta and Coello as wingbacks.

OgtheDim
04-13-2024, 06:22 PM
3-4-3 with Berna as a WB

Lloyd Sam drives me to mute

OgtheDim
04-13-2024, 06:42 PM
Coello with 4 guys charging manages to pick out their guy...

OgtheDim
04-13-2024, 07:10 PM
That was...annoying.

James17930
04-13-2024, 07:11 PM
That was...annoying.

That's completely on Johnson. Don't know how he manages to miss that.

OgtheDim
04-13-2024, 07:15 PM
Yes on Johnson
&
Ball falls out of the sky and NONE of 6 guys in the area goes for the ball.

jloome
04-13-2024, 07:16 PM
Meh. Working hard, one momentary lapse in pressure and we give one up.

Johnson's not going to save that, it was buried in the corner.

We're just not quick enough offensively or there's one poor pass in the buildup.

We might get one, salvage a point out of this, but it'll take a small miracle. Just no speed going forward, no quickness to unbalance them.

MikeForbes
04-13-2024, 07:17 PM
Even if we have a striker, he would be starving for service. The only creative player we have is Oso and he is continually being forced to play much higher up the pitch than he should be.

FiveThreeTwo
04-13-2024, 07:32 PM
Even if we have a striker, he would be starving for service. The only creative player we have is Oso and he is continually being forced to play much higher up the pitch than he should be.

yep. Not to theorycraft too hard but in this league we nor any team can really just be that team to have a lone guy up in a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 that is the only dude whose supposed to make runs, hold or chance create. With how the leagues teams setup and current world soccer metagame, a single DP striker would do shit all with our current team except maybe add an extra goal here or there.

We need more supplementary runs and overloads and the current team just don't do it. Why would they flip a switch and learn to make those runs when we finally get a guy uptop who's a bit more dynamic? Oso, Flores, coello, and even longstaff all want to operate in the same sections on the field and aren't really loaded up in dribble/close quarters abilities needed to be a guy that sits higher up.

Jloomes comment there in another section was lights out and highlights that problem. we got too many guys tied up into salary who do the exact same thing or fall into the same section of the fields and aren't getting much diversity in ability for our salary cap bucks lol. Need more than just a striker

jloome
04-13-2024, 07:35 PM
That's more like it. Bernardeschi with good service, Owusu with a good finish. Uncomplicated.

jloome
04-13-2024, 07:36 PM
What's this now? A TFC team on the front foot offensively? What sorcery is this?

MikeForbes
04-13-2024, 07:36 PM
Prince isn't a starting 9 at this level, but he definitely can be a solid backup.

FiveThreeTwo
04-13-2024, 07:37 PM
there we go, thats the sorta fox n a box type shit we need lol

MikeForbes
04-13-2024, 07:42 PM
Classic Coello unforced error.

James17930
04-13-2024, 07:45 PM
So they called it back for the supposed pic, but weren't there like 3 Clt players offside anyway?

MikeForbes
04-13-2024, 07:47 PM
This is a winnable game.

SoccMan2
04-13-2024, 07:49 PM
Still waiting on Rutty to fulfil a bit of his promise now is the time .

jloome
04-13-2024, 07:54 PM
Good lord that was bad.

jloome
04-13-2024, 07:55 PM
why the fuck is coello signalling 'why?' at Gomis. That was a spectacularly stupid pass.

He should fucking sit after that.

MikeForbes
04-13-2024, 07:57 PM
Kosi Thompson comes on to play his new best position, the wide playmaker. Can't wait until Kosi gets between the sticks.

SoccMan2
04-13-2024, 07:58 PM
Like fuck off like what the fuck is that get this guy off the field and keep him off just for good , gave the game away !

MikeForbes
why the fuck is coello signalling 'why?' at Gomis. That was a spectacularly stupid pass.

Coello has to be one of the most arrogant players who has never accomplished shit I have ever watched.

zorsofstesab
30 yard pass across goal with heavy traffic is never a good idea. Not the 1st time Coello has sent poor passes. Still young but needs to change if he wants to be successful.

barticusz
04-13-2024, 07:59 PM
Coello kills me. Every game he gives up at least 2/3 passes like that which should never happen. So stupid.

OgtheDim
04-13-2024, 08:00 PM
Coello...I...I just can't with this guy on turf anymore.

portu
04-13-2024, 08:03 PM
Coello has to be one of the most arrogant players who has never accomplished shit I have ever watched.
Kid has been massively overplayed and stays on the pitch over Longstaff. Hard to avoid ego. I’m sure there are a lot of guys in similar situations in this squad.

I expect him to make an error like that eventually when he plays the minutes he does. I expect to him have an ego when he starts next to quality like Flores and Longstaff and gets to drop his TFC II number so quickly.

jloome
Bernardeschi and Owusu saving us again.

MikeForbes
The Prince has become a king.

OgtheDim

Reading between the lines of Herdman's pressers, Coello is not the preferred option in the midfield. He basically starts when we have nobody else but I would be very surprised if we are not going in for a midfielder mid season.

FiveThreeTwo
04-13-2024, 08:05 PM
Prince woke up and decided to be Lewandowski today lol

James17930
04-13-2024, 08:07 PM
Wow. JMR turning playmaker there too.

barticusz
04-13-2024, 08:09 PM
A winnable game thrown away again by the most idiotic of passes.

jloome
So that entire sequence doesn't happen if the ref calls the foul against Long.

MLS in action.

MikeForbes
Are you fucking kidding me?

OgtheDim
Chapman is such as shit ref -

Bushmancan
04-13-2024, 08:10 PM
Actually, today you can put it all on the defence.

zorsofstesab
Comical defending

RealG-TFC
Where was our Captain when Long was rightfully complaining about the non-call?

OgtheDim
04-13-2024, 08:11 PM

MLS in action.

The foul on Bernadeschi before that was equally uncalled - some of these guys from MLS 2012-2015 have not moved forward with their approach.

James17930
04-13-2024, 08:14 PM

MLS in action.

Yep. Utter bullshit.

OgtheDim
04-13-2024, 08:14 PM
Gomis stops a lot of crosses but he's not quick enough without a defensive minded LWB.

MikeForbes
04-13-2024, 08:16 PM
Franklin has some good qualities that will make him a good MLS player, but he might be the last guy you want in that position.

Bushmancan
04-13-2024, 08:18 PM
Give them credit, there has been no quit tonight.

OgtheDim
04-13-2024, 08:19 PM
There 3rd goal was a classic "get to the post no matter what" goal - we haven't had a guy do that since Jozy in 2017.

FiveThreeTwo
04-13-2024, 08:22 PM
how much money does thompsons parents pay TFC to put him on the field. I know were short of players but man I can't wait for us to build depth so that guy can be the 5th string sub or given an opportunity elsewhere.

Its not a good look when you literally don't have a role or an identity, and your only skillset are- i'm gritty, put my head down and will accept whereever I'm told to play (sorry edited*, was being distracted while typin lol). At this point he's put out there as a placeholder so that we don't go down a man when we need to take ppl off for fitness reasons, he's providing minimal attacking or defensive value in any role he's throne in lol

Bushmancan
04-13-2024, 08:22 PM
Selfish….

MikeForbes
04-13-2024, 08:23 PM
Give them credit, there has been no quit tonight.

The result sucks and losing Long will hurt next week, but scoring goals is fun.

jloome
04-13-2024, 08:24 PM
Well, we shot ourselves in the foot again.

Good effort, Owusu and Bernardeschi both played great.

Coello and a few bad calls, and we're leaving with three.

SoccMan2
04-13-2024, 08:26 PM
So 3 defeats in a row 11 against only 2 for in the last 3 games , no Long next week the disaster continues not to long before last place overall is in sight , what a mess !

Smokecell
04-13-2024, 08:27 PM
Too many passengers, not enough drivers.

zorsofstesab
04-13-2024, 08:28 PM

Someone tell me again what Osorio brings to TFC in 2024? Rode the coat tails of a great team during our run. Sorry not captain material and definitely not DP worthy. Another Altidore signing for what was done in the past, not looking at the future . Need to restructure his contract if possible.

reggie
04-13-2024, 08:57 PM
i can hear herdman now....the leadership group really put in a shift tonight

JoesphNdo
04-13-2024, 09:17 PM
i can hear herdman now....the leadership group really put in a shift tonight

And he wouldn't be wrong.

That's a game we deserved to draw, and in fact should have won. We were undone by two individual errors for the first goals, and an inexplicable MLS trademark referee call on the build up to the third.

Such a frustrating game. This should have been, and deserved to be, the 'grind out the result when everyone shows up to stop the rot' game. It is what it is. But I'm actually encouraged by the performance, given whose out. We aren't great and we aren't pretty, but that's a good away performance that deserved a result. The team absolutely showed up today.

Starting to worry about Sean Johnson, though. That's two games in a row with mistakes leading to goals. Hope it's post injury rust and not a sign of him losing a step, as he's been rock solid for us up until now.

reggie
04-13-2024, 09:21 PM
And he wouldn't be wrong.

That's a game we deserved to draw, and in fact should have won. We were undone by two individual errors for the first goals, and an inexplicable MLS trademark referee call on the build up to the third.

Such a frustrating game. This should have been, and deserved to be, the 'grind out the result when everyone shows up to stop the rot' game. It is what it is. But I'm actually encouraged by the performance, given whose out. We aren't great and we aren't pretty, but that's a good away performance that deserved a result. The team absolutely showed up today.

Starting to worry about Sean Johnson, though. That's two games in a row with mistakes leading to goals. Hope it's post injury rust and not a sign of him losing a step, as he's been rock solid for us up until now.
oso and johnson were great tonight come on man ..the same excuses for 3 years same shit diff year

jloome
04-13-2024, 09:38 PM
The first goal was an uncontested shot from the very top of the box, on a hard angle into the lower corner. Johnson would have had to be 7'8" to have saved that.

Coello gave away a cheap one, and no one contested the first shot. The last goal doesn't happen if the ref blows the two fouls on Long, seconds before.

Given that Long's first yellow shouldn't have been a card, maybe they can appeal it.

Either way, points lost, but mostly because Coello, once again, played a stupidly dangerous pass.

His reaction to it was pretty damn poor, too.

Oso and Johnson both played fine. Oso was quite good around the box at the end.

Bernardeschi and Owusu played their socks off. Longstaff was alright, Flores was good. Gomis looked a little unsure but couldn't have done anything about that shit pass.

OgtheDim
04-13-2024, 09:46 PM
Can people who think Oso was crap tonight explain what they saw to come to that opinion?

reggie
04-13-2024, 09:53 PM
i dont want to shit on herdmans parade but dont look now 8 pts from 8 games last season give up 8 goals,this season 10 pts after 8 giving up 10 goals in the last 3 games.and most of them are school boy mistakes.

ag futbol
04-13-2024, 10:00 PM
Johnson’s positioning on the second goal looked kind of whack. He was sliding all the way over to the near post leaving the angle on the far post overly open. Of course you cover near post first but usually guys will edge in just a little so they can cover more of the far post angle knowing they can stick a foot or a hand out quick to cover part of the near post space. Not the reason we lost but starting to look at him a bit more for signs of decline.

I thought they fought hard and perhaps deserved a bit more. But some of the usual shortcomings continue to hold this team back.

jloome
04-13-2024, 10:04 PM
Once again, Bernardeschi was so much more effective as a wingback, concentrating on creating service for others.

I'm really not down on the performance, just the handful of small mistakes that cost us points. We really did get sort of jobbed; there was a point where they kicked the ball away and DIDN'T get a yellow, even though Osorio got one for the same thing earlier in the game. HE looked apoplectic over it. Long was mugged several times with no whistle, Bernardeschi was hacked and didn't get calls.

I'm sure he missed some on us, too. Shit job, generally.

Smokecell
04-13-2024, 10:31 PM
Can people who think Oso was crap tonight explain what they saw to come to that opinion?

For whatever it’s worth, I was out at a bar tonight and after discussing with just under a dozen folks the general sentiment was split between a) I can’t believe he’s a DP (not good enough to warrant it). b) He sure does throw his hands up and complain about his teammates a lot for a captain, and c) this is Bradley 2.0, he’s gonna play a whole lot more than his play warrants.

I thought he was OK.

jloome
04-13-2024, 10:42 PM
I thought he had a mixed bag. he didn't play particularly well in the first 60 mins, but his last 30 when we were playing with some desperation were great.

The one really optimistic note from tonight is we tried actually putting some dangerous low balls into the box and got two goals out of it. That should give them some confidence we can actually score goals. Now we just need to stop leaking them.

Derko
04-14-2024, 07:18 AM
Classic Coello unforced error. He has been lazy at passing numerous times over the past few games leading up to dangerous situations and goals.

Derko
04-14-2024, 07:23 AM
Osorio, what do you expect, he is just a brain dead, uninspiring leader, he should never have the Captain’s armband

ag futbol
04-14-2024, 08:15 AM
This Osorio hate is pretty unwarranted. He's shoe-horned into a role we all know isn't his best position and also one that nobody else on the team (who is healthy at the moment) would do better at. The midfield wasn't able to advance the ball yesterday with any sort of effectiveness. Players who were further up the field, like Osorio rarely got a pass in a good position. Really, we missed speed in wide areas to balance out the field and that made it difficult for Coello and Flores to operate. But also, you can see the limitations in the game of each of these guys as they can be pressed into bad passes / decisions when they have limited time on the ball. Osorio's slightly overpaid, only a DP because TFC mismanaged its cap space and had to sign the designation to him.

Re: JMR. I appreciate his wing play was one of the catalysts for us getting back into the game in the 2nd half but someone has to sit him down and get him to adopt a more aggressive "adult" mentality out there. His play sometimes feels sort of whimsical and aloof. You're playing against men now, if you want to win a challenge you have to go in with intensity, if you want to be effective I the attacking 3rd you need to be decisive, and when you receive the ball you should already have an awareness of what you want to do with it without having to pick your head up and looking around for 3-4 seconds. He should be past this by now after several years with the first team. Our youth coach sucks.

Derko
04-14-2024, 09:56 AM
It’s not Osorio hate it is a fact that he is a poor leader, if he was just a midfielder Osorio would be better, look at his body language on the field, shoulders drop, arms waving around and chewing out his teammates when he screws up just as often, have you listened to his team talks, no inspiration or drive. Oso just be a decent player, not a shitty leader which translates into a shitty player.

Derko
04-14-2024, 10:01 AM
Can people who think Oso was crap tonight explain what they saw to come to that opinion? Comes down to poor leadership, not necessarily poor play in my opinions

ag futbol
04-14-2024, 10:17 AM
It’s not Osorio hate it is a fact that he is a poor leader, if he was just a midfielder Osorio would be better, look at his body language on the field, shoulders drop, arms waving around and chewing out his teammates when he screws up just as often, have you listened to his team talks, no inspiration or drive. Oso just be a decent player, not a shitty leader which translates into a shitty player.
I can appreciate his body language doesn’t really scream that of leadership. Feels a bit cagey.

jloome
04-14-2024, 10:25 AM
I can appreciate his body language doesn’t really scream that of leadership. Feels a bit cagey.

I argued when they named him that he doesn't seem the type. Wears his feelings too publicly and usually not when they're positive.

Still doesn't, not really. But none of our players do, other than maybe Sean Johnston or Kevin Long.

We have a generally petulant feel. It's cropped up a few times in this three game run; Coello's attempt to shirk blame after the pass was a good example.

I thought Osorio generally played well yesterday, though.

JoesphNdo
04-14-2024, 10:46 AM
I think it's really hard to define leadership based on what you see on the field, and the clues we look for, imo, are mostly theatrics. Screaming and shouting looks good, but does it actually do anything? Messi is a great leader, his teammates seem like they'd follow him into war, but more often than not, he's not out there screaming and chest pounding. When he wore the captains armband, Xavi was a great captain and leader, but again, you're not gonna see him running around pounding his chest, or trying to take the ball off a defender and just charge directly to goal. That doesn't make him a bad leader. Granted, these are players, naturally, you can't compare to Oso, but I'm just trying to say leadership can mean more than the guy red in the face screaming, which is mostly the extent of what we can find and define as good leadership. There's many, many examples of successful captains winning trophies left and right who are not that type.

I've no idea if Oso is a good captain, but it's just to say, it's impossible to know. What we look for - the theatrics, to me, don't matter, and with the wrong player in the wrong team can be counter productive.

It's what Herdman wants him to do, is he out there keeping the team to the game plan? It's how he shows up for the team in the locker-room, is he a bridge between the players and management? Can people talk to him, is he out there mentoring and leading in the training ground, putting his arm around people who need it, keeping the team together? Can the team look to him when the chips are down, and know what he's going to do? Do people respect him, and want to work with him, and follow his instructions or example? It's so hard for us to know as we just don't have enough information. To me, he's played quite decently in the last couple of games, but I'm not sure what leadership people are looking for specifically.

Given it's hard to define leadership by looking at it from the stands, I'd try to look at the outcomes I'd expect from either good or bad leadership. To me, the locker room from the outside looking in looks to be in the best shape it's been probably since 2019. I do see a team, a flawed team, but I do see a team showing up for each other. I see a managers game plan being followed. I see players heads not dropping, and us continuing to play well and stick to our guns even during a bad patch. I see a team that should have ground out a really good result yesterday, and deserved too, despite a starting XI that is not a particularly strong one. To me, that's the result of leadership, so I don't look at this team in general and think it lacks leadership. I could name 50 problems before I'd get to that, personally, which says to me Oso is probably at least doing an adequate job.

Again, not saying he is a good leader, just, I don't think we have anything close to the information needed to tell.

Loyal
04-14-2024, 11:07 AM
Herdman stated at the start of the year this was going to be a two to three year turnaround

Expecting results from this sad sack outfit is going to give you ulcers

The calibre of this roster is very poor

Watch Coello week to week give away balls in crucial spots, get beat one on one defending and then grab the sweater to compensate - basically he can't do the two things a player in his position is tasked with

Osorio will become Bradley 2.0 because Manning made another bonehead decision to make him an over paid DP

OgtheDim
04-14-2024, 02:21 PM
Oso's DP status is a roster maneuver that created more cap space - other teams do this as well with higher end allocation level players.

(I'm also not going to judge Oso on the Long conversation given we only saw a cropped view of the ref)

I have issues with Oso's contribution in play on the field this year but I'm not sure its all on him.

I do see leadership by him on the field but its a lot quieter then some people expect.

The petulance issue across the team - is it petulance or just red hot anger at something going wrong after so much work?

Seba comes to mind on this, BTW - he would be angry at moves that didn't do what he wanted but he never got red hot anger when we gave up goals - more shaking his head a lot.

jloome
04-14-2024, 02:36 PM
Oso's DP status is a roster maneuver that created more cap space - other teams do this as well with higher end allocation level players.

(I'm also not going to judge Oso on the Long conversation given we only saw a cropped view of the ref)

I have issues with Oso's contribution in play on the field this year but I'm not sure its all on him.

I do see leadership by him on the field but its a lot quieter then some people expect.

The petulance issue across the team - is it petulance or just red hot anger at something going wrong after so much work?

Seba comes to mind on this, BTW - he would be angry at moves that didn't do what he wanted but he never got red hot anger when we gave up goals - more shaking his head a lot.
That's fair. I think the bigger issue is when guys fuck up but then signal it's the other guys' fault somehow.

We've had a few of those and not just from younger players.

OgtheDim
04-14-2024, 04:37 PM
Coello passing to where he expects players to be and then complaining they were not there is a weird move for a guy with this many years in this league now.

los sonadores
04-14-2024, 09:05 PM
Coello passing to where he expects players to be and then complaining they were not there is a weird move for a guy with this many years in this league now.

I think I understand our (how many, now, three?) managers use of him as a 6 but he’s not naturally a 6. He’s still learning the position and he doesn’t really have the right tools for it. But then that is our roster w/injuries as it currently stands. Oso and Longstaff are not being especially well used either.

I’m not sure where Coello should be playing in Herdman’s conception of things but I hope that’s sorted out at some point because he does have real talent.

ronzilla
04-14-2024, 10:03 PM
Coello made a terrible mistake, with Gomis making a half-ass attempt to help.

There's no need to make any changes from one single ball.

It's all about consistency.

ag futbol
04-15-2024, 07:59 AM
I think I understand our (how many, now, three?) managers use of him as a 6 but he’s not naturally a 6. He’s still learning the position and he doesn’t really have the right tools for it. But then that is our roster w/injuries as it currently stands. Oso and Longstaff are not being especially well used either.

I’m not sure where Coello should be playing in Herdman’s conception of things but I hope that’s sorted out at some point because he does have real talent.
I agree, he definitely has something. That said, I think he has to maybe go through what Osorio went through earlier in his career where they tell him he’s coming off the bench if 30 minutes a game(and the occasional start) with the expectation of playing at high intensity and keeping things super clean. Also needs to do whatever he can to improve his speed / fast twitch muscles. Obviously he’ll never be fast but I have a hard time believing this is as good as he can do.

jloome
04-15-2024, 09:30 AM
Also needs to do whatever he can to improve his speed / fast twitch muscles. Obviously he’ll never be fast but I have a hard time believing this is as good as he can do.

This and a little arrogance are his two issues; he's just not quick at all, he's lumbering. He's got great technique, real skill on the ball. But he tries to force things he shouldn't (McNaughton had that issue with us, too, but hasn't in Nashville).