PDA

View Full Version : Match Day 6 - SKC @ TFC Sat March 30 7:38pm - And when the curtains open

OgtheDim
03-24-2024, 04:52 PM
to the roaring of the crowd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5K6J0eVRBo&ab_channel=Kansas-Topic

Have at It People

jloome
03-25-2024, 02:24 PM
to the roaring of the crowd

Have at It People

This is going to be much tougher.

SKC likes attacking from wide and advancing the ball quickly, so we're going to spend a lot of time defending.

OgtheDim
03-25-2024, 04:15 PM
A good tactical test then.

buddies
03-25-2024, 05:28 PM
Just wondering how we'd go about getting a group message to MLSE and MLS that games starting at 7:30 at night before May is unacceptable? The current weather forecast says Saturday has a high of +9*C and a low of -2*C. In addition, if they're trying to grow the game in Canada it might not be a good idea to go head to head with Hockey Night in Canada. In fact, never mind May ... make it until the Leafs get knocked out of the playoffs. On a personal note I had to miss the game against Atlanta because of the weather. I have a daughter that has a fairly serious medical condition that's required us to move our season seats so far this season to accessible seating and it's exasperated by the cold weather so we didn't want her to risk it.

This isn't about her though. It's just plain stupid to play games at 7:30 at night at this time of year. Just ask Lorenzo Insigne if he thinks it contributed to his injury ... or even guys that complained on tv but didn't get hurt like Alonzo Coello and Tyrese Spicer ...

JonO
03-25-2024, 07:34 PM
It’s ridiculously stupid but I think controlled by the Apple TV deal. Not sure if Mlse have any control but it would be nice if they address it. It is really hard to try convince someone to come sit in the freezing cold for an early season game. Not a good way to get bums in the seat or grow the game to be honest

benito
03-25-2024, 07:53 PM
Last season, I sent an email to my ticket rep regarding the early/late season evening games. She didn’t have much of a reply but I am going to send another email this week. Most weeks there’s multiple afternoon games yet tfc only have one of these.

BritSOL
03-26-2024, 05:22 AM
It’s ridiculously stupid but I think controlled by the Apple TV deal. Not sure if Mlse have any control but it would be nice if they address it. It is really hard to try convince someone to come sit in the freezing cold for an early season game. Not a good way to get bums in the seat or grow the game to be honest

The 7:30pm start times were a contributing factor to me dropping my seasons tickets. (As well as the embarrassing performance)

Canary10
03-26-2024, 08:23 AM
It was a problem for me last year too. I kept my seats but this might be it. Having two young kids who really can't go to the games because they're late sucks. The 7:30 games is terrible for growing the next generation of fans. Unfortunately it's all Apple I think.

SenorDingDong
03-26-2024, 09:03 AM
It was a problem for me last year too. I kept my seats but this might be it. Having two young kids who really can't go to the games because they're late sucks. The 7:30 games is terrible for growing the next generation of fans. Unfortunately it's all Apple I think.

Last season it was worse. The home opener and all games were at night. This season it seems they allowed the first 2 in the afternoon.

I would push to allow the first 4-5 home games for Toronto in the afternoon.

leedsandTFC
03-26-2024, 09:44 AM

yep, apple pretty much outright said night games get more viewers.

but obv afternoon games areway prefereable when it's cold out.

still year 2 of the deal and at least had a few afternoon games this year (2 away from home),hopefully in future they put the first 6-7 games at 2-3 PM.

leedsandTFC
03-26-2024, 10:38 AM
Per John Molinari, insigne and oneill both present at training today bit not w full squad.

Knock on wood but presumably insigne injury not too bad.

buddies
03-26-2024, 11:02 AM
yep, apple pretty much outright said night games get more viewers.

but obv afternoon games areway prefereable when it's cold out.

still year 2 of the deal and at least had a few afternoon games this year (2 away from home),hopefully in future they put the first 6-7 games at 2-3 PM.

Kind of infuriates me that some away games at this time of year are in the afternoon. It can obviously be accommodated and it certainly can't be to increase viewership having the home games at night on a Saturday because other than the die hards like us, everyone else is watching the Leafs. Even the moderates are watching the Leaf game and then picking up the TFC game on demand. It's obviously too late for this year but between complaints and seeing half empty stadiums on Apple TV, hopefully they reconsider for next year.

Kamp Berg
03-26-2024, 11:11 AM
Kind of infuriates me that some away games at this time of year are in the afternoon. It can obviously be accommodated and it certainly can't be to increase viewership having the home games at night on a Saturday because other than the die hards like us, everyone else is watching the Leafs. Even the moderates are watching the Leaf game and then picking up the TFC game on demand. It's obviously too late for this year but between complaints and seeing half empty stadiums on Apple TV, hopefully they reconsider for next year.

The scheduling for the league has always seemed to be a bit of a mess, and worse now than ever. Not sure why the other leagues can figure it out but MLS can’t? It like MLS resists anything that’s logic based.

MikeForbes
03-26-2024, 11:43 AM
7:30 (8:30 where I am) is the right time for the games because I am selfish and work Saturday afternoons.

ManUtd4ever
03-26-2024, 01:01 PM
Per John Molinari, insigne and oneill both present at training today bit not w full squad.

Knock on wood but presumably insigne injury not too bad.

Good news.

jloome
03-26-2024, 01:08 PM
Good news about Insigne. Muscle strains are really common in the cold but generally heal quickly.

The night scheduling isn't going to change. It will be based a) on which markets Apple most wants rolling viewership into their other Apple TV offerings, b) on which markets have to use their stadiums for other events later in the evening, and c) every other priority.

They don't give a shit about the weather here.

ag futbol
03-26-2024, 01:15 PM
Great. Seems like a pretty sub optimal thing to be anchored to.

Yuushalinsky
03-26-2024, 01:16 PM
I've been looking and... I don't know if it's going to be as bad as we think. SKC is one of the teams with both a lower xG and a higher xGA than us. They also don't have much form coming into Toronto whereas we're really flying high with morale and form. I'm gonna say 2-1, we might concede but I actually have some faith in this team to pull this one out based on vibes alone. Hopefully I can pair it with proper statistics soon, too.

leedsandTFC
03-26-2024, 01:39 PM
even without insignewe have a decent shot this match imo.

that 2nd half without him we looked very dangerous. i think oso and berna joint 10s with jmr/ spicer overlapping can cause alot of danger.

Kamp Berg
03-26-2024, 01:48 PM
Hopefully Prince scoring ups his confidence and leads to more goals!

los sonadores
03-26-2024, 02:15 PM
Article on Alan Pulido. The first bit of video inset is of a nice SKC goal:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/alan-pulido-will-we-see-the-best-of-sporting-kc-s-top-tier-striker

los sonadores
03-26-2024, 02:19 PM
Hopefully Prince scoring ups his confidence and leads to more goals!

Let’s hope so. And with Kerr’s return that little bit of competition may help as well. Seems Kerr starting and subbing out for Prince is about the best we have as a general solution at striker.

los sonadores
03-26-2024, 02:40 PM
For your Mariner scouting… SKC vs LAG this past Saturday and a lot of familiar faces:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f6JJJF6lGJc

SenorDingDong
03-26-2024, 02:54 PM
I'm going to make no predictions until the injury list comes out.

But I think Berna scores this game. He was on fire last game. It's coming.

OgtheDim
03-26-2024, 04:41 PM
On the evening game discussion

As long as people show up, those of us who can't make certain games are not going to be enough to change minds.

It should be an issue that its now become difficult to bring the kids but...its not.

For those at last week game, I get the amount published was 24K - did it look like that in the stadium or more like the 17k that Herdman said it was?

Because if 17k is what we got last week, they ain't gonna make changes.

ensco
03-26-2024, 04:51 PM
Article on Alan Pulido. The first bit of video inset is of a nice SKC goal:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/alan-pulido-will-we-see-the-best-of-sporting-kc-s-top-tier-striker

I haven’t gotten past Pulido scoring that floater in the CCL final first leg in 2018, the one that Bono was never the same after. In the end, it cost us that championship.

Has Pulido been at BMO since then? I don’t think so…

benito
03-26-2024, 05:31 PM
On the evening game discussion

As long as people show up, those of us who can't make certain games are not going to be enough to change minds.

It should be an issue that its now become difficult to bring the kids but...its not.

For those at last week game, I get the amount published was 24K - did it look like that in the stadium or more like the 17k that Herdman said it was?

Because if 17k is what we got last week, they ain't gonna make changes.

it looked closer to 17k to me which I thought was a success considering the weather and transit issues. I would think the 24k is the amount of tickets sold.

los sonadores
03-27-2024, 01:29 AM
I haven’t gotten past Pulido scoring that floater in the CCL final first leg in 2018, the one that Bono was never the same after. In the end, it cost us that championship.

Has Pulido been at BMO since then? I don’t think so…

I don’t think he’s been back. That goal just about killed me. I can still see it from my seat. And you’re right, it did certainly do in Bono, it was worse for him.

Their other goal scorer was Rodolfo Pizarro. Now it seems commonplace that these guys should play in MLS… (though I think Miami offloaded Pizarro to AEK….)

Canary10
03-27-2024, 07:52 AM
Last season it was worse. The home opener and all games were at night. This season it seems they allowed the first 2 in the afternoon.

I would push to allow the first 4-5 home games for Toronto in the afternoon.

Only 1 day home game though. The other was away.

leedsandTFC
03-27-2024, 12:36 PM
no update on insigne injury yet.

do we think that's good or bad?

jloome
03-27-2024, 01:37 PM
no update on insigne injury yet.

do we think that's good or bad?

Probably good.

If it was a tear, they'd have known immediately from the scan and declared him out for a while. But muscle strains are unpredictable in recovery length, so there's no point guessing a return date. Still more likely to be sooner than with a tear, however, so...

Oldtimer
03-27-2024, 03:50 PM
Per Molinaro Insigne has been in training, although working apart from the team. That's a good sign.

los sonadores
03-27-2024, 03:59 PM
Another MLS.com blurby analysis of SKC:

What we’ve learned: The attacking pieces aren’t enough…at least not in the 4-3-3.

Before Saturday’s game against the LA Galaxy, no team in MLS touched the ball in the attacking penalty area less than SKC. Without much dynamism coming from Peter Vermes’ front three and without a true creator in midfield, Kansas City have looked flat for most of 2024.

The 4-2-3-1 shape that Vermes ran out against the Galaxy, though, could be a solution. Getting Alan Pulido and Willy Agada on the field together will make life more difficult for opposing center backs.

leedsandTFC
03-27-2024, 06:18 PM
Probably good.

If it was a tear, they'd have known immediately from the scan and declared him out for a while. But muscle strains are unpredictable in recovery length, so there's no point guessing a return date. Still more likely to be sooner than with a tear, however, so...

i looked at our schedule and after sat we have two games in a row on turf.

if there's anything there still, wouldnt be shocked if he sat those two (doubt how much he would have played on van/charlotte turf regardless).

James17930
03-28-2024, 01:33 AM
it looked closer to 17k to me which I thought was a success considering the weather and transit issues. I would think the 24k is the amount of tickets sold.

On TV it certainly looked like 24k. I was actually surprised how full it looked given the weather and traffic warnings beforehand. They had a shot of the west stands that looked almost full, and that new stand in the north end looked decently full too, as well as the south, of course, and then the east looked about 75%.

I can actually believe 24k.

OgtheDim
03-28-2024, 05:35 AM
Yeh, if we are getting 17-24k on a night like that, Saturday night games are not changing due to our demands.

There are systemic issues underneath that of growth through youth & equity for parents of small children but that's not going to win out.

Mr. Inbetween
03-28-2024, 08:28 AM
Another MLS.com blurby analysis of SKC: What we’ve learned: The attacking pieces aren’t enough…at least not in the 4-3-3. Before Saturday’s game against the LA Galaxy, no team in MLS touched the ball in the attacking penalty area less than SKC. Without much dynamism coming from Peter Vermes’ front three and without a true creator in midfield, Kansas City have looked flat for most of 2024.The 4-2-3-1 shape that Vermes ran out against the Galaxy, though, could be a solution. Getting Alan Pulido and Willy Agada on the field together will make life more difficult for opposing center backs.

This match can/should be won; with or without Insigne. Points to be banked. The next two turf matches, with or without Insigne, if TFC take at least one or even draw on both, I’ll be ecstatic. The club would then be positioned phenomenally.

Yuushalinsky
03-28-2024, 08:40 AM
Something that has to be talked about with Toronto FC - they're doing a lot of the little things right.

As of right now, TFC is 4th in tackles, FIRST in win rate on challenges and 2nd overall on made challenges, and sixth in blocks. They are top-third in take-ons, all of this despite having a lot of defensive touches relative to other teams in the league as of right now.

We still have room to grow - we're too easy to dispossess, and we're poor at taking care of the ball offensively. But man, it's exciting.

ag futbol
03-28-2024, 08:49 AM
I can only go by my own data points.

To me, it looks a lot closer to 17k than 24. If you take the latter number, it suggests just over 3 out of every 4 seats were filled. Doesn’t exactly look that way from the wide shots of the grandstand.

In my division of my company, we had 15 seats sit empty. Nobody wanted to deliver these to clients with the weather and Go Train situation.

Even here, among the diehards, several people sat this one out.

I thought it was still pretty decent attendance on the day given the circumstances but they’ve been stretchijg the truth about gate numbers for a while and last weekend was just one more example.

Kamp Berg
03-28-2024, 09:04 AM
Something that has to be talked about with Toronto FC - they're doing a lot of the little things right.

As of right now, TFC is 4th in tackles, FIRST in win rate on challenges and 2nd overall on made challenges, and sixth in blocks. They are top-third in take-ons, all of this despite having a lot of defensive touches relative to other teams in the league as of right now.

We still have room to grow - we're too easy to dispossess, and we're poor at taking care of the ball offensively. But man, it's exciting.

Plus, if Herdman is able to fix youth development, the skies the limit.

Mr. Inbetween
03-28-2024, 01:32 PM
Heads up! To all Toronto EastEnders, seems…

‘There will be no subway service on Line 2 between St George and Woodbine stations on Saturday, March 30 and Sunday, March 31, 2024 for track work. Shuttle buses will operate’.

leedsandTFC
03-28-2024, 02:34 PM

‘There will be no subway service on Line 2 between St George and Woodbine stations on Saturday, March 30 and Sunday, March 31, 2024 for track work. Shuttle buses will operate’.

i live at woodbine but it's far easier just to go to danforth go station and take the go train anyways

CorrwgBach
03-28-2024, 03:32 PM

I was worried this would happen last week! And really add to the fun.

Thanks for the heads up, go train for me then.

MikeForbes
03-29-2024, 11:14 AM
No Insigne at training today. Likely rules him out for tomorrow.

MikeForbes
03-29-2024, 11:18 AM
No Insigne at training today. Likely rules him out for tomorrow.

Make that 6 weeks.

https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/1773748986643419478?s=20

rydermike
03-29-2024, 11:21 AM
If only we had a winger like Shaffelburg who could fill that LW role

Kamp Berg
03-29-2024, 12:01 PM
If only we had a winger like Shaffelburg who could fill that LW role

Luckily, we at least have Spicer.

NK Toronto
03-29-2024, 12:17 PM
This is what happens when you sign players in their thirties. The Insigne contract was the dumbest contract in TFC history. I hope the club has learned a lesson here, but I doubt it.

ag futbol
03-29-2024, 12:53 PM
^ I don’t think signing players in their 30’s is inherently bad. However, in a league like this one, where the travel is long, the scheduling is irrational, and the occasional playing surface is dogcrap…it seems a bit foolish to make someone over 30 who already is managing minutes to stay healthy the cornerstone of your team.

Kamp Berg
03-29-2024, 01:58 PM
^ I don’t think signing players in their 30’s is inherently bad. However, in a league like this one, where the travel is long, the scheduling is irrational, and the occasional playing surface is dogcrap…it seems a bit foolish to make someone over 30 who already is managing minutes to stay healthy the cornerstone of your team.

Just a thought, and maybe I’m way off here, but Berna seemed to turn it up even more after Insigne subbed off. Maybe this is an opportunity for Berna to step it up.

SenorDingDong
03-29-2024, 02:18 PM
Losing Insigne again is unfortunate but I also feel like he is somewhat easy to replace in the new system. Osorio moves to his spot and Berna moves to Osorio's. Kerr or Owusu up top.

I suppose we could also see Longstaff beside Osorio and Berna at wingback.

Losing somewhat like Long or Flores for longer I kind of feel would be a greater impact to the structure of the team.

Who are the wing backs? Is Petretta back?

mowe
03-29-2024, 03:18 PM
Who are the wing backs? Is Petretta back?
Petretta trained on his own today, per Neil Davidson.

Probably JMR and Spicer start.

jloome
03-29-2024, 04:06 PM
I think we can slot Osorio in but he's not the scoring threat Insigne is.

Let's face it, unless Bernie starts playing like a prime number 10 and both attacking and supplying goals, and Owusu or Kerr steps it up, we desperately need one more solid, quick goal threat.

SenorDingDong
03-29-2024, 04:08 PM
Thinking on it, I expect Herdmann will do this then to see the strongest XI.

--‐----------kerr----‐------------
--------osorio -- longstaff------
Spicer - coello - Flores- berna
---- rosted - long- mabika------

jloome
03-29-2024, 04:12 PM

I don't think he's going to sit JMR, the way he's playing, unless he wants to give him a week. And at his age, he doesn't need the break.

I suspect Coello will sit, Longstaff will slide into the mid next to Flores and Bernie will go next to Osorio in the dual attacker role.

But maybe he sees Longstaff as a more 10 than eight or six in this league.

Coello was really good his last game, but we sacrifice cover and athleticism when he's on in favour of technique. Might be better used later in games.

Yuushalinsky
03-29-2024, 04:13 PM

With Mabika subbed for O'Neill if it gets dicey? I can see it.

OgtheDim
03-29-2024, 04:29 PM
FWIW - Herdman presser

https://www.torontofc.ca/video/training-sound-john-herdman-march-29-2024#training-sound-john-herdman-march-29-2024

Mr. Inbetween
03-29-2024, 05:58 PM

Thinking…

--‐----------Owusu-----‐--------
---Bernardeschi-—Osorio----—-
—Spicer—Coello—Flores—JMR—
---- Rosted—Long--O’Neill----—
————-—Johnson——————

MikeForbes
03-29-2024, 07:16 PM
Longstaff has some good qualities, but playing him as a 10 is a waste. I'd personally deploy JMR on the right, Spicer on the left as wingbacks and have the 10s be Oso and Bernie. Probably start Prince upfront and bring Kerr on in the second half to run at the tired legs.

Kamp Berg
03-30-2024, 11:54 AM
Thinking…

--‐----------Owusu-----‐--------
---Bernardeschi-—Osorio----—-
—Spicer—Coello—Flores—JMR—
---- Rosted—Long--O’Neill----—
————-—Johnson——————

Is Johnson back to full training?

OgtheDim
03-30-2024, 12:10 PM
Going through reps and standards to see - the call would be made this morning.

SenorDingDong
03-30-2024, 01:06 PM
Afternoon game would have been lovely today...

ronzilla
03-30-2024, 02:21 PM
It's really not too bad. Could've been worse.

jloome
03-30-2024, 03:24 PM
Johnny Russell is out, which is good news.

MikeForbes
03-30-2024, 05:27 PM
No Deybi?

https://twitter.com/TorontoFC/status/1774204520500699493?s=20

OgtheDim
03-30-2024, 05:34 PM
No Deybi?

https://twitter.com/TorontoFC/status/1774204520500699493?s=20

Sub bench - must be load based because tactics wise a destroyer fits how SKC goes.

los sonadores
03-30-2024, 05:55 PM
Sub bench - must be load based because tactics wise a destroyer fits how SKC goes.

Maybe, or in part. Herdman did mention in the press conference after the last match that he thought Longstaff and Coello were excellent and Deybi might have to work his way back into the lineup. He wasn’t very good in New York. Probably subs in for one of the two in the 2nd half.

SilverSamurai
03-30-2024, 06:08 PM
Anyone have an online link stream that they can share?
Only ones I've been able to find myself appear to be scams to some fake registration

jloome
03-30-2024, 06:18 PM
I'm not a fan of starting Coello over Flores. He's an eight, not a six, despite them seemingly seeing him as one. He does not have the speed or athleticism to be a six; he does have the passing, skill and possession skills to be an eight.

Maybe they're having Longstaff hang back more. He was a more defensive-minded midfielder in England.

Areathrasher
03-30-2024, 06:30 PM
Anyone have an online link stream that they can share?
Only ones I've been able to find myself appear to be scams to some fake registration
https://vipleague.im/football/toronto-fc-vs-sporting-kansas-city-streaming-link-1

OgtheDim
03-30-2024, 06:38 PM
Coello makes some shitty passes

Yuushalinsky
03-30-2024, 06:42 PM
defense is optional

SilverSamurai
03-30-2024, 06:46 PM
https://vipleague.im/football/toronto-fc-vs-sporting-kansas-city-streaming-link-1

Much appreciated!
Love the no commentary too.

jloome
03-30-2024, 06:50 PM
Good work there but no one on the back post.

OgtheDim
03-30-2024, 06:50 PM
Owusu HAS to go in on that cross to Spicer...

jloome
03-30-2024, 06:51 PM
Kansas City is clearly not a big pressing team.

jloome
03-30-2024, 06:51 PM
Owusu HAS to go in on that cross to Spicer...

He went to the spot instead of the back post. Bad call given the speed it was going to have to come back.

OgtheDim
03-30-2024, 06:53 PM
He went to the spot instead of the back post. Bad call given the speed it was going to have to come back.

He was running in and you could see him slow down when the cross went wide thinking, "Its not doing anything"

Just go in. If nothing else, you make them cover you and think.

jloome
03-30-2024, 07:01 PM
They've been working on the buildup, it seems.

OgtheDim
03-30-2024, 07:13 PM
Can we please stop it with the bs free kick ideas.

jloome
03-30-2024, 07:18 PM
Reasonably well played. Could be two down, could be two up.

MikeForbes
03-30-2024, 07:20 PM
Gavran is legit good. Will be interesting what happens when Johnson (who was stellar himself) is ready. Coello or Longstaff need to come off for Flores around the 60 minute mark.

CBTFC
03-30-2024, 07:21 PM
Luka Gavran quickly putting himself into the National Team conversation

OgtheDim
03-30-2024, 07:23 PM
They had 8 shots and 6 of them on target and most of those from where our midfielders sit or created through midfield attempts to deal with the press.

Not a fan of Coello & Longstaff in that pocket.

jloome
03-30-2024, 07:25 PM
Gavran is legit good. Will be interesting what happens when Johnson (who was stellar himself) is ready. Coello or Longstaff need to come off for Flores around the 60 minute mark.

I think Herdman read them a little wrong. he said during the week they're older and can't run with us, and he clearly meant it, because hes' playing them as twin pivots instead of one hanging back as the wrecker.

But that's also the only reason they've had three really good chances and six shots on net, despite us having 67% of the ball. They've been able to get in behind because we're pushed well up and have no anchor.

jloome
03-30-2024, 07:26 PM
Not a fan of Coello & Longstaff in that pocket.

Yup. Need one of them more defensive minded. Assuming we can always get back is proving foolish.

OgtheDim
03-30-2024, 07:27 PM
If Long can't go, I expect a double change - Mabika in as CB & Floris to cover.

OgtheDim
03-30-2024, 07:29 PM
Yup. Need one of them more defensive minded. Assuming we can always get back is proving foolish.

Yeh, I've been watching Coello come back this year and he is better then 2023 when Bradley was quicker at recovering. But Longstaff is ball watching when they rush in and assuming the CB's will do the job - he's not DM minded.

MikeForbes
03-30-2024, 07:32 PM
Know a player I think might really help us in the second half of the season, especially under Herdman?

Brandon Servania.

SilverSamurai
03-30-2024, 07:32 PM
Who was the lady in white they showed jumping around in the south end?
CWNT player?

jloome
03-30-2024, 07:35 PM
Who was the lady in white they showed jumping around in the south end?
CWNT player?

Wedding.

jloome
03-30-2024, 07:36 PM
Know a player I think might really help us in the second half of the season, especially under Herdman?

Brandon Servania.

He had such promise at Dallas. A lot of fans there thought he was misused and should have been better defensively.

MikeForbes
03-30-2024, 07:38 PM
Coello thinks he is Andrea Pirlo out there, but is more like Liam Fraser.

jloome
03-30-2024, 07:44 PM
Man... I dont know, he looked like he caught him there twice.

MikeForbes
03-30-2024, 07:45 PM
Okay, get Coello off now.

MikeForbes
03-30-2024, 07:47 PM
That was quite the strike. Gotta shake things up here. Get Kerr on. Maybe Cash if he truly does exist.

OgtheDim
03-30-2024, 07:47 PM
Now...lets see what this team is like mentally.

SilverSamurai
03-30-2024, 07:49 PM
Wedding.

Oh cool!
The online apple feed I'm watching has no commentary, which while good for the match, has me guessing at half time.

Glad Flores is in now though.

los sonadores
03-30-2024, 07:51 PM
Working, helas, not watching. How are Spicer and JMR doing so far?

jloome
03-30-2024, 07:52 PM
Working, helas, not watching. How are Spicer and JMR doing so far?

Both playing well.

tfcfans
03-30-2024, 07:52 PM
TFC losing is not a surprise based on the number of good chances KC has had - our goalie has been great for the first 60 minutes - but with no real offensive threat - and now it’s over.

jloome
03-30-2024, 07:53 PM
He should've had that one. Man, this is rough now. Two from distance.

MikeForbes
03-30-2024, 07:54 PM
Not ideal.

OgtheDim
03-30-2024, 07:54 PM
Asking keepers to be inhuman does usually lead to a howler

jloome
03-30-2024, 07:56 PM
Asking keepers to be inhuman does usually lead to a howler

He had to make a mistake eventually.

jloome
03-30-2024, 07:57 PM
How does he not score there? Damn.

MikeForbes
03-30-2024, 07:58 PM
Kosi Thompson's new best position is now CB. Previously a natural RB, CM and striker.

OgtheDim
03-30-2024, 08:00 PM
The guy they are letting be our playmaker is Flores.

Chance creation is an issue with us.

jloome
03-30-2024, 08:04 PM
The effort's been there today but most things have been a wee bit sloppy. I said before the game I thought Coello was a mistake to start, and he didn't exactly cover himself in glory.

jloome
03-30-2024, 08:07 PM
When our best player on the day is a 19-year-old fullback, we're not likely to get three. (I mean, a tie with Gavran, who let in one bad one but kept out four good ones).

MikeForbes
03-30-2024, 08:08 PM
Spicer at striker needs to happen one of these days.

OgtheDim
03-30-2024, 08:09 PM
The mentality after going 2-0 down with the second being a bad mistake by somebody has been better then last year.

We have issues and regardless of the result in the next 10....those won't change.

But the mentality is not what it was in 2023 and that's a good thing.

MikeForbes
03-30-2024, 08:12 PM
Jason Hernandez is calling SKC right now to ask about that Vargas kid.

OgtheDim
03-30-2024, 08:13 PM
The effort's been there today but most things have been a wee bit sloppy. I said before the game I thought Coello was a mistake to start, and he didn't exactly cover himself in glory.

Coello works OK against non pressing teams. Against a decent press that never stops, he doesn't have a role. He is a Deep lying playmaker.

Get us a true #9 and this all gets fixed by Oso moving back to play with Floris.

MikeForbes
03-30-2024, 08:14 PM
Probably would be better off bringing Mabika in to play upfront over Ayo.

jloome
03-30-2024, 08:21 PM
Now that was stupid and selfish. he had two runners ahead of him.

jloome
03-30-2024, 08:26 PM
Fight to the end, at least. Didn't have that last year.

MikeForbes
03-30-2024, 08:27 PM
A nice consolation goal. Someone in Belgium or the Netherlands might actually give us a nice little chunk of change for JMR in the summer.

OgtheDim
03-30-2024, 08:31 PM
The social media hot take will be that was bad and the team hasn't changed and without Insigne we are like last year.

&

The Oso goal wouldn't have happened last year (4 guys crashing the box in the last minute).

Yes..we have roster issues - anybody following this team closely knows this. And its not just with our #9 - our depth can't play against certain tactics.

But I'd rather this team where it is now then that team a year ago.

jloome
03-30-2024, 08:32 PM
I just figure Fede as a right wing, when we have no striker and his main move to cut inside is totally found out, just doesn't make a lot of sense.

Either play him mostly inside and under and leave the width to the wingback, or play him wingback. 'Cos nobody's giving him that shot from the top of the box anymore, and it's all he tries offensively.

When he let JMR go on the overlap at the end, and when Spicer was putting in balls from the other side in the f first half, we were more dangerous. I think teams LIKE him having the ball. We become predictable and easy to stop.

Still, a few early breaks, Gavran not fluffing the second and maybe this goes the other way. I don't think that's a team we should expect to beat us.

jloome
03-30-2024, 08:33 PM
The social media hot take will be that was bad and the team hasn't changed and without Insigne we are like last year.

&

The Oso goal wouldn't have happened last year (4 guys crashing the box in the last minute).

Yes..we have roster issues - anybody following this team closely knows this. And its not just with our #9 - our depth can't play against certain tactics.

But I'd rather this team where it is now then that team a year ago.

Oh for sure. I think we got it tactically wrong, and we didn't adjust to them pressing in the second half at all.

OgtheDim
03-30-2024, 08:38 PM
Oh for sure. I think we got it tactically wrong, and we didn't adjust to them pressing in the second half at all.

Will be interesting to see if Herdman puts his hand up on that one. We are SOOO much better with Floris & Oso as the two mids - I'm not sure why Herdman seems to want to avoid that.

jloome
03-30-2024, 08:52 PM
Will be interesting to see if Herdman puts his hand up on that one. We are SOOO much better with Floris & Oso as the two mids - I'm not sure why Herdman seems to want to avoid that.

He probably wants to establish as much confidence in his depth early in the season as possible, try to get them to the place where they don't feel starters are locked in and everyone's competing for a role.

JoesphNdo
03-30-2024, 09:22 PM
There's also always stuff with fitness, balancing load etc we aren't always privvy too.

To me that kind of result was coming, we've rode our luck at times this season and the reality is we've not got a great starting xi and a really weak bench, carrying injuries that's liable to happen. To me that's not important, what's important is the response. We've a stretch without Insigne who has carried us this season, we may have some nights like this, it's imperative Herdman keeps them bought in. The late goal honestly felt really good in that respect, we didn't drop out heads. If Herdman keeps them bought in that's all I want to see, I know we'll lose games.

My one and only criticism continues to be Bill Manning. To look at that squad and spend all your money on anything other than a number nine is absolutely criminal. It's the kind of decision that has typified his awful, awful, awful reign and he has, once again, utterly hamstrung us. He better have an ace in the hole there soon as we are absolutely crying out for something up front, badly.

SenorDingDong
03-31-2024, 05:29 AM
I agree we were due a for dud of a game. We haven't had one yet at all this season.

I also think tactically it was wrong. Berna should have been a wingback and Flores for sure should have started.

Thr next two games will be telling. Both tough away matches on turf.

And we seriously need a competent #9. It's such an urgent need on this squad.

ensco
03-31-2024, 06:39 AM
Having just speed watched the game…

How many times did we get exposed on the counter? 10? Our mids (Coello, Longstaff) really did not have a good day…

O'Neill may be a warrior and all that, but his lack of pace was obvious several times, and led directly to the third goal. Not sure you can have both him and Long out there at the same time.

JMR had several good sequences, and a really nice assist - but really had to get that shot off on the rush in the box in the second half

I cannot recall a GK having as outstanding a first half, and as poor a second half, ever. Who was he barking at after the first goal allowed, btw? I don’t like to see the fully formed Oliver Kahn act in reserve 23 year olds…

Kamp Berg
03-31-2024, 12:57 PM
My two cents after last night: Berna should play wingback if Insigne doesn’t play. Without Insigne, Berna tries to do too much by himself. Not sure who plays up top though, definitely the biggest need right now is a real #9.

jloome
03-31-2024, 01:56 PM
Having just speed watched the game…

How many times did we get exposed on the counter? 10? Our mids (Coello, Longstaff) really did not have a good day…

O'Neill may be a warrior and all that, but his lack of pace was obvious several times, and led directly to the third goal. Not sure you can have both him and Long out there at the same time.

JMR had several good sequences, and a really nice assist - but really had to get that shot off on the rush in the box in the second half

I cannot recall a GK having as outstanding a first half, and as poor a second half, ever. Who was he barking at after the first goal allowed, btw? I don’t like to see the fully formed Oliver Kahn act in reserve 23 year olds…

I dunno man, I think he had cause on that one. The guy shot from 35 yards, sure, but no one even got close to him, even put him off. Given a good pro that kind of open look and a keeper is doomed. Someone had to step up and challenge the shooter.

It was the same in the second half. Willie Agada had the ball in our box and Longstaff backed off him to try instead to cut down the angle, but that just gave him a free look, and only the crossbar saved us.

His only real mistake to me was that he tried the same volley parry on the Davis goal that he tried against the point blank header earlier, and that's not a strong enough parry. He should've been coming across the body with his left hand and punching that.

But he had to make a mistake eventually.

JMR committed the 'take another touch' cardinal sin. Get control, shoot, period. First time it if possible. If there's one consistent issue we've had in the box with this crew over the last three seasons it's that everyone thinks they have more time than they do.

jloome
03-31-2024, 01:58 PM
My two cents after last night: Berna should play wingback if Insigne doesn’t play. Without Insigne, Berna tries to do too much by himself. Not sure who plays up top though, definitely the biggest need right now is a real #9.

I think we should either use him as you say, or as a central striker. He's useless at Right Wing. He's just too big/not nimble enough to beat more than the first defender, and they know it's coming.

He'll just get more and more frustrated out there until he loses his confidence again.

SenorDingDong
03-31-2024, 02:11 PM
I completely agree. I'd keep him at wingback until Richie is back probably. He has the stamina to get forward to as we know and will probably have more room with some more ppl in front.

Then I'd move him to a #9 with Insigne and Osorio behind him probably. Spicer and Richie as wingbacks.

JoesphNdo
03-31-2024, 02:13 PM
I think he can work at right wing, but only if he has a great striker to play with and ideally also Inisngne there. He has great interplay moments when the right ingredients are there. With no movement in front of him at all, he just reverts to the same desperate moves. So in absence of that striker, I agree, either put him up top or at wing back.

los sonadores
03-31-2024, 02:25 PM

I’ve not been much of an O’Neil fan but in the matches I’ve seen this season he hasn’t been a problem. He’s even been able to get forward quite often. But with Petretta and Gomis out we lose quite a bit of potential mobility at the back and Coello is certainly not fleet of foot. For that matter, Bernie at right wingback pushes things forward with a fair amount of force.

los sonadores
03-31-2024, 02:28 PM
I think he can work at right wing, but only if he has a great striker to play with and ideally also Inisngne there. He has great interplay moments when the right ingredients are there. With no movement in front of him at all, he just reverts to the same desperate moves. So in absence of that striker, I agree, either put him up top or at wing back.

Have we seen Bernie up top with us at all? I feel like it’s been only an unsuccessful half, at most.

ag futbol
03-31-2024, 04:32 PM
I’ve not been much of an O’Neil fan but in the matches I’ve seen this season he hasn’t been a problem. He’s even been able to get forward quite often. But with Petretta and Gomis out we lose quite a bit of potential mobility at the back and Coello is certainly not fleet of foot. For that matter, Bernie at right wingback pushes things forward with a fair amount of force.
He’s a stand-in until we get someone better. That spot needs to be upgraded, for sure. But for now he’s a capable backup.

We miss Gomis at the moment. His ability to step into midfield is sorely needed.