PDA

View Full Version : Match Day 2 - TFC @ NER Sun March 3 - 2:08pm I gotta learn to slow down

OgtheDim
02-25-2024, 07:10 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgPm4F5Jono&ab_channel=lietoFava

Something new from chemistry

Have at It People

Bushmancan
02-25-2024, 07:49 PM
No Vrioni, red card against DC, so wont be playing against us.

SenorDingDong
02-25-2024, 07:59 PM
I think Insigne will sit this one due to the turf if Herdmanns comments are accurate

Oldtimer
02-25-2024, 10:59 PM
I'm hoping for a point from this game.

Mikmacdo
02-26-2024, 10:28 AM
A point would be great here. I think only 1 team won on the road this past week. Beat Charlotte at home in two weeks is a must though.

SenorDingDong
02-26-2024, 10:39 AM
A point would be great here. I think only 1 team won on the road this past week. Beat Charlotte at home in two weeks is a must though.

I suspect this will be Herdmans plan. Getting a point on the road and wins at home is a recipe for big success in MLS.

MikeForbes
02-26-2024, 10:44 AM
I honestly don't think the Revs are a very good team. I think if they play the same way they did against Cinci there is a chance they can get a win. I just worry about the shit turf NE play on.

SenorDingDong
02-26-2024, 10:45 AM
I honestly don't think the Revs are a very good team. I think if they play the same way they did against Cinci there is a chance they can get a win. I just worry about the shit turf NE play on.

Yea I'm sure Insigne won't play for this one so hopefully Kerr is back.

Maybe will see Cash finally. Weird signing that one...

Fort York Redcoat
02-26-2024, 12:20 PM
Agreeing with a draw is a win. Let's do this!

jloome
02-26-2024, 03:57 PM
Maybe will see Cash finally. Weird signing that one...

I would not expect it. I understand he's had trouble keeping up with the pace of play.

They like him, but he's seen as a project.

los sonadores
02-26-2024, 04:10 PM
I would not expect it. I understand he's had trouble keeping up with the pace of play.

They like him, but he's seen as a project.

Sounds, for a valuable under 21 spot, like a mistake that they hope will come good. I suppose the bright side is that we now have Rubio and Herdman as well, rather than just Hernandez with his stats and without a proper scouting system. The main acquisitions so far that are a product of the input of all three seem on the mark.

I’m guessing, in that other under 22 spot, Ayo has until the summer to show something more on the pitch.

jloome
02-26-2024, 05:15 PM
Sounds, for a valuable under 21 spot, like a mistake that they hope will come good. I suppose the bright side is that we now have Rubio and Herdman as well, rather than just Hernandez with his stats and without a proper scouting system. The main acquisitions so far that are a product of the input of all three seem on the mark.

I’m guessing, in that other under 22 spot, Ayo has until the summer to show something more on the pitch.

I think they took a statistical flyer, as you note, but the leagues are very different and he's been growing and learning a different type of football, one that is more English -- more team based movement, less traps and triggers.

That shit is really hard for some young players to figure out.

I think Ayo needs to lose some muscle mass to improve his quickness. He's a tank, but his quick first step isn't as quick as it used to be.

Part of the issue, though, is that we're building for an offence that is based on quick penetration and short passing to open up much closer looks, which are higher percentage. Herdman's definitely not a fan of wide balls in to towering defenders.

So if strikers are even a little off the pace, they become almost dead weight until the ball is in the box, on the offence -- important defensively pressing and sometimes holding the ball up, but mostly poaching, looking to clear up junk.

I figure any one of them could come good for that. But clearly we need a fast, strong TAM/DP level striker.

barticusz
02-27-2024, 12:57 AM

If this is true, which I have to think is the case, since he has barely played - what a horrible signing. Our DP's aren't good enough and both our u22 are a complete waste. Dear lord.

ag futbol
02-27-2024, 07:40 AM
I think they took a statistical flyer, as you note, but the leagues are very different and he's been growing and learning a different type of football, one that is more English -- more team based movement, less traps and triggers.

I think Ayo needs to lose some muscle mass to improve his quickness. He's a tank, but his quick first step isn't as quick as it used to be.

Part of the issue, though, is that we're building for an offence that is based on quick penetration and short passing to open up much closer looks, which are higher percentage. Herdman's definitely not a fan of wide balls in to towering defenders.

So if strikers are even a little off the pace, they become almost dead weight until the ball is in the box, on the offence -- important defensively pressing and sometimes holding the ball up, but mostly poaching, looking to clear up junk.

I figure any one of them could come good for that. But clearly we need a fast, strong TAM/DP level striker.
My observation of Akinola is his read of the game is slow. Physique could change but it’s not going to suddenly make him effective.

Blindside16
02-28-2024, 02:03 AM
Agreeing with a draw is a win. Let's do this!

I will consider a draw with no long term injuries on that garbage pitch a win

Marcus
02-28-2024, 07:36 AM
I agree with Jloome and am in turn concerned that César Meylan has only worked with national teams where you're with these athletes for a short period of time. It's mostly just keeping them sharp while their clubs design the bulk of the fitness routines. Building a quick first step or reshaping any physical trait is months of work and should have been a part of the offseason training assuming Herdman expressed how he wanted to play and Meylan correctly assessed where Ayo was starting from.

jloome
02-28-2024, 02:18 PM
If this is true, which I have to think is the case, since he has barely played - what a horrible signing. Our DP's aren't good enough and both our u22 are a complete waste. Dear lord.

They haven't given up on him, he just hasn't stepped up to compete with the others yet. They're hoping Herdman's magic rubs off on him a little but I imagine if he doesn't make any impression in the first few months of the season, they'll look to loan him out, get him competitive minutes.

ag futbol
02-28-2024, 03:44 PM
Yeah, I don’t entirely want to judge here (as there’s still some story to be written) but this feels like it didn’t hit the mark.

Hopefully, it serves as a cautionary tale from experimenting in some of the more squirrelly international markets. Not everything is a hidden treasure trove just because players from a certain region have less recognition globally.

barticusz
02-28-2024, 10:08 PM
Yeah, I don’t entirely want to judge here (as there’s still some story to be written) but this feels like it didn’t hit the mark.

Hopefully, it serves as a cautionary tale from experimenting in some of the more squirrelly international markets. Not everything is a hidden treasure trove just because players from a certain region have less recognition globally.

I think Jloome mentioned in a different post that they're hoping to see some progress from him over the coming months. I hope that is true, we cannot be wasting a u22 slot on a project. If Ayo and Cash are not regular contributors on this team by the summer, we need to make changes.

Mikmacdo
02-29-2024, 07:34 AM
I think Jloome mentioned in a different post that they're hoping to see some progress from him over the coming months. I hope that is true, we cannot be wasting a u22 slot on a project. If Ayo and Cash are not regular contributors on this team by the summer, we need to make changes.
The U22 hit rate seems very low. Look at ATL last year they had to loan us Ibarra because no one would take any of their other u22 players.

Hopefully MLS makes some changes after seeing how many failures there have been. Its just weird the team can pay a massive fee but they have to find a player who will take a fairly small salary in comparison to the fees. Maybe bump it up to 23 and the salary should be up to max tam.

We did try to sign Theo Corbeanu so we must be still looking for a third u22 player.

Bushmancan
02-29-2024, 07:54 AM
I am so pissed off at the past two year’s decisions. Not even really upset with workload management for LI for this and subsequent games. And, no issues from a marketing benefit of acquiring Insigne (i do like him) but the scouting and subsequent management was so pathetic. Imagine if Shaff was still with us ( he would have been getting a ton of playing time with LIs injuries) and when LI healthy, he would have learned from a very good mentor (even if their styles are different) Eventually, we could have sold him for a lot more or grew a very capable first string LM/LW. One more example of the Manning failure - why is he still here (not letting this one die). BUT happy for Shaff.

Mikmacdo
02-29-2024, 09:18 AM
I am so pissed off at the past two year’s decisions. Not even really upset with workload management for LI for this and subsequent games. And, no issues from a marketing benefit of acquiring Insigne (i do like him) but the scouting and subsequent management was so pathetic. Imagine if Shaff was still with us ( he would have been getting a ton of playing time with LIs injuries) and when LI healthy, he would have learned from a very good mentor (even if their styles are different) Eventually, we could have sold him for a lot more or grew a very capable first string LM/LW. One more example of the Manning failure - why is he still here (not letting this one die). BUT happy for Shaff.
We had Nelson at the time though who was ahead of Shaff and we ended up selling him for 1 million.

jloome
02-29-2024, 09:45 AM
We had Nelson at the time though who was ahead of Shaff and we ended up selling him for 1 million.

Shaff was already the better player then. Not as technical but a much better read of the game, more speed, better finisher, probably as good a passer.

Bob didn't sell him because of his value, he sold him because he wouldn't play ball and switch to left back, and he wanted his players to be multi-positional. Utterly asinine decision. You can't teach speed.

They've both done pretty well since leaving.

The U22 hit rate seems very low. Look at ATL last year they had to loan us Ibarra because no one would take any of their other u22 players.

Multiple cases of this in the last three years at NYFC, Orlando, Salt Lake. I think they're using the u22 system to take "flyers" on guys who might turn out to be a good sell on.

The hit rate is way too low. You have to figure fairly soon agents will realize it's bad for their clients to go into this league blind, as a prospect.

Mikmacdo
02-29-2024, 09:52 AM
Shaff was already the better player then. Not as technical but a much better read of the game, more speed, better finisher, probably as good a passer.

Bob didn't sell him because of his value, he sold him because he wouldn't play ball and switch to left back, and he wanted his players to be multi-positional. Utterly asinine decision. You can't teach speed.

They've both done pretty well since leaving.Bob was awful but I actually agreed with him playing nelson over shaff. Shaff is one dimensional and can really only play one position. Hardly any teams use left footed left wingers these days because they are predictable. Nelson is ahead of where Shaff is at the same age.

rydermike
02-29-2024, 10:08 AM
Even though Shaff was one-dimensional, playing him out of position is a terrible move. If you didn't want him because he wasn't multi-positional, play him in his best spot to try to raise his value. Playing him out of position, made him look worse.

jloome
02-29-2024, 10:51 AM
Bob was awful but I actually agreed with him playing nelson over shaff. Shaff is one dimensional and can really only play one position. Hardly any teams use left footed left wingers these days because they are predictable. Nelson is ahead of where Shaff is at the same age.

But Shaff isn't really a winger, he's an inverted wing forward. He spends as much time attacking goal as he does providing.

And he's two-footed.

we used him predictably. That doesn't mean it's all he has.

Getting rid of a young Canadian forward with sprinter speed who can finish stands as one of the dumbest personnel decisions this club has ever made.

Jayden added basically nothing at MLS level.

CBTFC
03-01-2024, 07:57 AM
Any viewing parties/watch parties happening anywhere?

Or anyone know of bars or restaurants that have Apple TV/MLS seasons pass that would put the game on?

ag futbol
03-01-2024, 08:21 AM
But Shaff isn't really a winger, he's an inverted wing forward. He spends as much time attacking goal as he does providing.

And he's two-footed.

we used him predictably. That doesn't mean it's all he has.

Getting rid of a young Canadian forward with sprinter speed who can finish stands as one of the dumbest personnel decisions this club has ever made.

Jayden added basically nothing at MLS level.
I wasn’t opposed to playing Nelson (as painful as that was at times) but Shaff should have seen more time.

Same thing applied to Laryea btw. How many different ways was he used when playing for Canada yet Bob couldn’t come up with anything other than playing him as a RB or on the odd occasion, a RCB in a back 3.

Oldtimer
03-01-2024, 10:41 AM
Any viewing parties/watch parties happening anywhere?

Or anyone know of bars or restaurants that have Apple TV/MLS seasons pass that would put the game on?

All of the places that used to cater to us are either gone or changed.

If there isn't baseball on, you could try the Left Field Brewery. They might change a screen for you.

Bushmancan
03-01-2024, 11:04 AM
All of the places that used to cater to us are either gone or changed.

If there isn't baseball on, you could try the Left Field Brewery. They might change a screen for you.

Speaking of which, Is Left Field going to be our new destination pre & post game?

MikeForbes
03-01-2024, 01:53 PM
https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/1763623873151488233?s=20

jloome
03-01-2024, 01:56 PM
https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/1763623873151488233?s=20

Ah hell. New England is still gelling, Vrioni is out suspended for a red card. This would've been a chance at road points. Tough to see it without Richie or Kerr but who knows.

dal524
03-01-2024, 02:43 PM
so i was not aware that redeeming the apple mls season pass had to be done by a certain date. looks like it was feb 1, 2024. did anyone have any luck redeeming after it expired. maybe by talking with FO? this weekend's game is only on apple tv looks like

benito
03-01-2024, 08:04 PM
I just activated my season pass account today. tfc sent out an email on February 23 to activate it for the season opener.

SenorDingDong
03-02-2024, 09:44 AM
Ah hell. New England is still gelling, Vrioni is out suspended for a red card. This would've been a chance at road points. Tough to see it without Richie or Kerr but who knows.

The Richie loss is pretty big. Hopefully we can pull out another 0-0 draw or something.

Oldtimer
03-02-2024, 01:34 PM
Speaking of which, Is Left Field going to be our new destination pre & post game?

No, a place hasn't been chosen yet. There's research being done. It seems like few places in Liberty Village want to go out of their way to accommodate a football supporters group.
Hockey and baseball and basketball are where it's at.
We may need to go a little outside the area.
I still miss Shoeless.

Red CB Toronto
03-02-2024, 02:51 PM
No, a place hasn't been chosen yet. There's research being done. It seems like few places in Liberty Village want to go out of their way to accommodate a football supporters group.
I still miss Shoeless.

It was used for the Year End party and some went there last year, in reality it is as good as anyplace in the area. In 2022 Brazen Head went all out to have us, blocking a bunch of tables for us in the front including two big ones and people simply did not show up. It was rather unfortunate as they were willing to have us. Even offered to block a table or two for us post game, which is always busy. Not sure we have the numbers to really get a place at this point. Everyone seems to want to do their own thing.

barticusz
03-02-2024, 04:41 PM
So with Lorenzo likely not playing at all, is this when we finally see Mailula?

Eastend
03-02-2024, 08:05 PM
I still miss Shoeless.

Joe's was fantastic. I miss it too. They were all in, and I don't think there will ever be a spot like this again.

MikeForbes
03-02-2024, 08:37 PM
Richie is confirmed to be out tomorrow. Probably a good call playing on the shittiest turf in the league.

https://twitter.com/TouchlineTFC/status/1764103499288060138?s=20

los sonadores
03-02-2024, 10:12 PM
Richie is confirmed to be out tomorrow. Probably a good call playing on the shittiest turf in the league.

Sounds like a good call. I hope the issue is as minor an issue as Herdman suggested after the match. But does that mean Insigne is on the bench?

los sonadores
03-02-2024, 10:15 PM
Joe's was fantastic. I miss it too. They were all in, and I don't think there will ever be a spot like this again.

It is weird that the stadium can be packed but there’s nowhere nearby to have a pint and watch the game.

CBTFC
03-03-2024, 07:44 AM
It is weird that the stadium can be packed but there’s nowhere nearby to have a pint and watch the game.

It's weird that places like Elephant and Castle can pack in 200+ for Liverpool games, yet here I am wondering where the hell I can find a single bar/restaurant that will *HOPEFULLY* have Apple TV/MLS Season pass AND put the game on.

We have completely regressed in terms of Toronto FC coverage and hype in this city.

It's really sad and disappointing

Bobo
03-03-2024, 09:05 AM
It's weird that places like Elephant and Castle can pack in 200+ for Liverpool games, yet here I am wondering where the hell I can find a single bar/restaurant that will *HOPEFULLY* have Apple TV/MLS Season pass AND put the game on.

We have completely regressed in terms of Toronto FC coverage and hype in this city.

Manning has ruined this club, and not just on a sporting level. It's incredible MLSE has allowed this to go on for so long. Longtime fans have stopped caring and detractors can't even be bothered to make fun anymore.

Valdal
03-03-2024, 09:12 AM

When I lived in Barrie or traveled down to even the GTA, I had to tell bars to put the game on. It was maddening. With it now being on Apple TV its going to be even more rare to find games to play at places that even have Apple TV

Valdal
03-03-2024, 09:18 AM

Id think with Kerr being out, this is Princes time to grab the spot. I feel bad for Kerr, he was literally handed the Striker position this season and injuries may have hampered him for a majority of the year

SenorDingDong
03-03-2024, 09:20 AM
According to Herdmann Longstaff also not on the roster today due to the turf. With his acl injury he said not worth it to risk.

MLS seriously needs to make a no turf deadline

ag futbol
03-03-2024, 09:21 AM
According to Herdmann Longstaff also not on the roster today due to the turf. With his acl injury he said not worth it to risk.

MLS seriously needs to make a no turf deadline
Agreed. Makes a mockery of everything. Really no excuse all these years later to have teams on turf.

613reppingTFC
03-03-2024, 09:38 AM
Sounds like a good call. I hope the issue is as minor an issue as Herdman suggested after the match. But does that mean Insigne is on the bench?

I know grass will always be better than turf. Herdman did say that they just had the turf replaced about 3 weeks ago so hopefully it is better than it was. He said it's a bit unstable with the new rubber pellets so likely why Insigne won't play on it.

Mr. Inbetween
03-03-2024, 10:19 AM
IIUC, four of the six MLS stadiums that do not have grass pitches yet will so have by the 2026 season. For at least that season; not sure if any will revert. Those being Vancouver, Atlanta, Boston and Seattle. Thereafter, leaving Charlotte and Portland to possibly be the final two that need to be updated.

Kamp Berg
03-03-2024, 10:43 AM
IIUC, four of the six MLS stadiums that do not have grass pitches yet will so have by the 2026 season. For at least that season; not sure if any will revert. Those being Vancouver, Atlanta, Boston and Seattle. Thereafter, leaving Charlotte and Portland to possibly be the final two that need to be updated.

And New England, which will probably only change if they’re made to.

ag futbol
03-03-2024, 10:54 AM
Vancouver will have grass? That comes as news to me. I would think at best it will be temporary for the WC.

jloome
03-03-2024, 11:41 AM
I wonder if Nicksoen Gomis will get some time today. Although he mostly played centre half in England, he also played right side in a three, I think. Anyway, supposed to be quick, and I'm wondering if he'll see some time at wingback.

OgtheDim
03-03-2024, 11:56 AM
I wonder if Nicksoen Gomis will get some time today. Although he mostly played centre half in England, he also played right side in a three, I think. Anyway, supposed to be quick, and I'm wondering if he'll see some time at wingback.

I swear the injury report yesterday on the MLS site said he was out with a head injury....but then it updated.

OgtheDim
03-03-2024, 12:04 PM
Kit will be the whites today - NER must be wearing their blues.

jloome
03-03-2024, 12:15 PM
I swear the injury report yesterday on the MLS site said he was out with a head injury....but then it updated.

Molinaro's preview says he trained all week, so should be good to go.

MikeForbes
03-03-2024, 01:00 PM
Wake up, guys. It is Gomis day.

https://twitter.com/TorontoFC/status/1764352362506793345?s=20

ronzilla
03-03-2024, 01:03 PM
Insigne starting? Thats a surprise.

Could possibly win this game.

MDH
03-03-2024, 01:09 PM
I still miss Shoeless.

I'm thankful I left the city before the culture went away. Would have broken my heart to watch.

CBTFC
03-03-2024, 01:11 PM
Just arrived at Left Field Brewery in Liberty Village, and the hostess did indeed confirm that they're showing the game at 2pm.

So far this place does appear to be friendly and accommodating, thanks for the suggestion

OgtheDim
03-03-2024, 01:28 PM
Just arrived at Left Field Brewery in Liberty Village, and the hostess did indeed confirm that they're showing the game at 2pm.

So far this place does appear to be friendly and accommodating, thanks for the suggestion

That is good news.

Shocked Insigne starts....

Gomis as a wingback behind Insigne should be interesting.

Bushmancan
03-03-2024, 01:32 PM
That is good news.

It is good news, eight of us will be there next week…

Yuushalinsky
03-03-2024, 01:38 PM
A surprising start setup tbh

rydermike
03-03-2024, 01:44 PM
So will the setup be

Insigne-Owusu-Bernardeschi
Coello-Flores-Osorio
Petretta-Long-ONeill-Gomis

or

Owusu
Insigne-Osorio
Petretta-Coello-Flores-Bernardeschi
Gomis-Long-ONeill

Fotmob has the latter

Bushmancan
03-03-2024, 01:48 PM
The thing i really liked about Herdman is that he can have his teams adapt based on the opponent or situation.

jloome
03-03-2024, 01:51 PM
A surprising start setup tbh

Maybe because New England's new surface is a shocking improvement over their old worn rug.

rydermike
03-03-2024, 01:57 PM
In stadium lineup LOL

https://i.ibb.co/rFjmVQh/GHx-Idf-LXg-AAvsgg.png

Bobo
03-03-2024, 02:06 PM
^ That's pathetic.

The carpet certainly looks better, but boy does it play slow.

CBTFC
03-03-2024, 02:12 PM
It took them a few minutes, but Left Field just signed up for MLS Season Pass, lol ;)

Game is on!

Canary10
03-03-2024, 02:14 PM
Ugh Prince. That has to be a .94 xG.

ag futbol
Jesus, I hope he finishes better than that on average.

OgtheDim
Ugh..that isn't good enough from Owusu.

ensco
Terrence Boyd flashbacks there.

Bushmancan
03-03-2024, 02:15 PM
Terrence Boyd flashbacks there.

Thinking the same thing… nice cross by O’Neill though.

jloome
03-03-2024, 02:18 PM
We need to finish one of these. Damn.

jloome
03-03-2024, 02:22 PM
Damn straight. Flores got ball first, clean, then the other player's foot hit his .

spe18
03-03-2024, 02:23 PM
terrific recovery and defensive stand after bad giveaway around midfield.

plus no penalty after var review

ag futbol
03-03-2024, 02:24 PM
Great call by the centre official. Would have been easy to cave to VAR.

FiveThreeTwo
Flores a bulldog back there. In a league of finesse 10s and 8s, nice to have

Canary10
The ball doesn’t roll on that pitch. Terrible.

OgtheDim
03-03-2024, 02:26 PM
The ball doesn’t roll on that pitch. Terrible.

Yeh you can see the guys new to turf all having issues - Long & Floris in particular

jloome
03-03-2024, 02:27 PM
Oooh.

ag futbol
03-03-2024, 02:27 PM
Woooo!

Bobo
03-03-2024, 02:28 PM
That finish was certainly deserving of injured hammy celly. Testing fate, though.

Canary10
03-03-2024, 02:28 PM
Great shot!!!

ensco
03-03-2024, 02:29 PM
Everything was special about that.. except for the way Lorenzo was grabbing his hammy during the celebration.

MikeForbes
03-03-2024, 02:31 PM
Everything was special about that.. except for the way Lorenzo was grabbing his hammy during the celebration.

That was all part of the celebration. It is popular on FIFA.

CBTFC
03-03-2024, 02:31 PM

I think that WAS his celebration, a sort of tongue in cheek "I can play on turf"

That's how I read it.

ag futbol
03-03-2024, 02:35 PM
The gap in play and tactics between Herdman and Bradley is like comparing a Rembrandt to a children’s drawing in crayons.

jloome
03-03-2024, 02:49 PM
Well that was fun.

Coello's inconsistency can be a little maddening, and Owusu missed a sitter. Rest, all good.

zorsofstesab
03-03-2024, 02:51 PM
Coello working hard but I counted 4 give away's the costed TFC almost every time. Needs to do better. New turf is rolling the ball slow. He needs to adjust to this.

FiveThreeTwo
03-03-2024, 02:52 PM
Only word i'll give that half and how we've been so far through both games is stable. Said it earlier in chat discussion but it still reminds me of when vanney's team were initially setting up the squads harmony, built around just stable structures and stable game plans. Absorb pressure and just stay cool headed and clog up space during the duels and scrambles, and get into space to receive the ball when its turned over.

Flores, Long, O'Neil, Petretta, and new guy gomes are seemingly on the same game plan of sweeping out balls and getting em out of threat areas. Its been promising for sure

It's clear the italians are buyin' into the Herdman roadmaps cause both have been chipping in on both sides of the ball they usually would shrug off in the past. Insigne looks like he's enjoying himself, and when he's in that element-feels like the rest of his form/accuracy come with it

ronzilla
03-03-2024, 02:54 PM
Excellent first half!

Kevin Long - a brick wall
Insigne - BEAST

Great effort from everyone. Need to keep pressing in the second.

OgtheDim
03-03-2024, 02:57 PM
The defensive buy in by the whole of the team is quite impressive.

We could easily lose this one with our give aways & lack of depth & its not like we have gone behind or anything yet - mentality really hasn't been tested yet, to be honest.

& yet...it feels different.

tfcfans
03-03-2024, 02:58 PM
Here are some frightening my stats -

We actually scored a goal on the road ! - they have not scored in their last 8 road games in all competitions - June 24th of last year was the last road goal (at New England) and they still lost 2-1….��

They have been outscored 25-0 on the road since that game last June in NE —-

James17930
03-03-2024, 03:03 PM
Wasn't expecting that scoreline. Nice to see. But yeah, do we have what it takes yet to hold on for a half with basically no bench.

ag futbol
03-03-2024, 03:08 PM
It’s too bad Kerr is not available. He would be a good 2nd half sub in this situation.

James17930
03-03-2024, 03:08 PM
I just hope we don't bunker for the whole half.

Yuushalinsky
03-03-2024, 03:18 PM
Owusu off please and thank you

ronzilla
03-03-2024, 03:19 PM
CrApple TV commentators are so amateur. Need to bring in the English with heavy accents. They do it best.

OgtheDim
03-03-2024, 03:23 PM
Coello had problems with turf last year...somebody needs to file away some cuts from this video to show him again before we play Vancouver & Charlotte next month.

Yuushalinsky
03-03-2024, 03:28 PM
Kaye will make a bad pass at some point in this game and that is when we strike

MikeForbes
03-03-2024, 03:30 PM
Gomis? More like GOATmis.

I'll see myself out.

ag futbol
Fantastic debut from Gomis

OgtheDim
Akinola missing that one even if it was offside was not good....it looked lazy.

James17930
FFS Ayo how can you go so obviously offside there?

ensco
03-03-2024, 03:31 PM
Essssssjaaaaaay!

zorsofstesab
03-03-2024, 03:31 PM
Offside or not Akinola needs to finish that. What if review said he was onside. Disgraceful.

MikeForbes
03-03-2024, 03:32 PM
Why exactly is that a call against Flores?

MikeForbes
03-03-2024, 03:33 PM
Also, Sean Johnson is in great form. So nice having a reliable goalkeeper.

ensco
03-03-2024, 03:36 PM
Oso took that same shot v Croatia - and almost hit it then too.

Yuushalinsky
03-03-2024, 03:37 PM
just a little bit more curl

really encouraged, let's shut this one down at the last 20 or so.

ensco
03-03-2024, 03:41 PM
I would let the Akinola experiment run a few more games, if we still sucked… but we are playing well.

This has to be it. He is costing us bad out there.

James17930
03-03-2024, 03:42 PM
Fuck. Johnson looks like he did his groin ...?

zorsofstesab
03-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Although I like the passion why do we have 3 coaches barking out instructions to the players?

EDIT - all in the coaches box

MikeForbes
03-03-2024, 03:46 PM
You can see why Flores was the first guy TFC targeted and signed this offseason.

ag futbol
03-03-2024, 03:47 PM
This camera work is awful. MLS should be ashamed of this product.

Thomas
03-03-2024, 03:47 PM
I see Ayo, all 196lbs of him, running around aimlessly.

OgtheDim
03-03-2024, 03:50 PM
I see Ayo, all 196lbs of him, running around aimlessly.

I don't really call that running....which begs the question - if was as fit as ever coming into preseason, how come he is this?

Done with him. Somebody else in as our #2 please

MikeForbes
03-03-2024, 03:52 PM
Johnson!!!

ensco
03-03-2024, 03:53 PM
Oh. My. Goodness.

James17930
03-03-2024, 03:54 PM
I guess his groin is fine. Holy shit what a save. MotM for sure.

Berna has put in a good shift too

Mr. Inbetween
C’mon Bad Boys, c’mon!

SJ MOTM!

Yuushalinsky
Oh. My. Goodness.
We have a goalie, we have a Ferrari, we have a Deybi. What more do we need?

A striker, sure.

Canary10
So glad we held onto Sean Johnson. Don’t know how he got that over the bar.

OgtheDim
03-03-2024, 03:55 PM
Yeh, we got ourselves a decent GK there...

ag futbol
03-03-2024, 03:55 PM
I think Ayo might be 1/10,000 at winning balls with his back to goal.

Yuushalinsky
03-03-2024, 03:56 PM
At least he killed the minute where it counted.

Start the fucking car

Bobo
Akinola loving the excuse not to sprint there.

OgtheDim
Wait...

we won a game

On the road?!??!

MikeForbes
Huge win. I like the new TFC.

ag futbol
Woooo! That will go a long way for those guys getting their confidence back.

MDH
Deybi Flores is all of our dads now.

jloome
03-03-2024, 03:57 PM
Oh. My. Goodness.

Saved us three points.

Oh my. We got three points on the road.

MikeForbes
Also, Lol at Ayo looking like the most gassed player on the pitch after roughly 30 minutes on the field.

James17930
Incredible. 4 from 6 on the road. I hope BMO is packed next week!

Bushmancan
03-03-2024, 03:58 PM
We lose that game last year… fought all the way to the end.

Yohan
03-03-2024, 03:59 PM
Professional road performance.

I will buy whatever Herdman is selling the team.

Hustle by everyone on defence.

flatpicker
4 points from the first two road games. How many did we have all last season?

ronzilla
Game 2 away on crap turf.

This is fucking huge.

ManUtd4ever
03-03-2024, 04:00 PM
Excellent first half. The drop off in quality was significant in the second half but we held our ground defensively for the most part and Johnson was sensational when necessary. Berna was an absolute workhorse today as well.

Very positive start to the Herdman era.

tfcfans
03-03-2024, 04:00 PM
First road win in MLS since August 2022 - holy crap - two clean sheets on the road - holy crap !

Bobo
03-03-2024, 04:01 PM
Got a bit lucky toward the end and relied on top class shithousery, but a very positive performance overall from the MLS Invincibles. Impressed with the shifts some of these guys put in.

Kiwi10
Only team yet to concede a goal...
Looking forward to the home opener next week especially if Laryea, Longstaff and Kerr are good to go.

MDH

FiveThreeTwo
fuck ye lads lets go.

I don't wanna be a hater lol during an unreal result - but look at that. Conway is gone as GK, we overhaul the staff and herdman brings in a completely new backroom staff (who I assume are allowed to do their jobs)- and every aspect of the team just appears dialed in and focused up at 110% in contrast to the past 3 1/2 years lol. I know its 2 games. I'm not talking about rationalizing some good outcomes. We genuinely look hella more structured in every area of park including SJ back in keep then we've seen since vanney.

Nobody could tell us we didn't deserve that one, the grit and team focus for the common goal we haven't seen in ages. I'm not on the hype yet because we still got a hard time with goals. But structurally we got somethin to build on here and build some positive morale.

Yuushalinsky
03-03-2024, 04:03 PM
fuck ye lads lets go.

I don't wanna be a hater lol during an unreal result - but look at that. Conway is gone as GK, we overhaul the staff and herdman brings in a completely new backroom staff - and every aspect of the team just appears dialed in and focused up at 110%.

Nobody could tell us we didn't deserve that one, the grit and team focus for the common goal we haven't seen in ages

xG will but fuck xG we're back

the backroom not being completely useless is helpful as well

Prof
03-03-2024, 04:04 PM
Yeh, we got ourselves a decent GK there...

And the only team in the league yet to be scored on. :drinking:

oranje boven
03-03-2024, 04:05 PM
4 points in first two games (on the road)! What a goal and what a save at the end. Love Flores. Shame Prince didnt put that header in but at least he tracks back and sometimes turns the ball back over. Also can hold the ball with his back to goal. Here’s hoping for some goals for him. Akinola provides zero.
Lets not forget a win with LI at half a game and no Richie or Longstaff…..

jloome
03-03-2024, 04:07 PM
The biggest difference so far is our use of the field -- it's far more efficient, which is why the spread three at the back doesn't really matter -- and our defensive commitment. We're closing like a proper team, which is not that common in MLS these days.

FiveThreeTwo
Yeah we lack some depth for sure. Hopefully with richie back, Kerr back (says March on Fotmob), get longstaff in for a couple minutes - can get a few more substitutions that impact the late game energy too.

tfcfans
The last time they had a win before the home opener was 2019 - they went to the Finals that year (LOL)…..

SirBobSaget
03-03-2024, 04:12 PM
NER only lost 1 home game last year. They’re were bad on the road but always dominant at home.

Mikmacdo
03-03-2024, 04:15 PM
Yeah we lack some depth for sure. Hopefully with richie back, Kerr back (says March on Fotmob), get longstaff in for a couple minutes - can get a few more substitutions that impact the late game energy too.
spicer too might add some speed off the bench

Derko
03-03-2024, 04:18 PM
Owusu off please and thank you Owusu is not half bad in reality, I hope you’re not suggesting Akinola

SenorDingDong
03-03-2024, 04:44 PM
Owusu is not half bad in reality, I hope you’re not suggesting Akinola

Alkinola needs to go. Loan him to a CPL team.

Owusu needs one goal and I feel his confidence will sky rocket.

We are at 25% of the way to meeting how many wins we had all last season lol.

JoesphNdo
03-03-2024, 04:53 PM
As someone who didn't know much about Herdman before coming in, but wasn't too impressed during the world cup, after two games I'm already delighted to admit I was way off. He deserves all the credit for the turnaround so far. That is a team with a game plan, a team bought in and allegedly unmanageable DPs playing their asses off and producing quality. He has exceeded all expectations with the dumpster fire he inherited, and deserves the credit for turning us into a team

We still have flaws and a squad that will struggle, my expectations are still that we aren't great, but man is that just such a joy to watch after the dross our previous manager served up. No egos, no players who must be placated no matter what, just a team working their asses off. Absolutely love it. Don't care if we don't make the play offs this year, sign me up to watching this team, just seeing us play like that is a win never mind the 4 point start with two away games and no goals conceeded

Id rather watch this team lose than last year's win tbh, so the fact the results have been there so far is just such a cherry on top

Canary10
03-03-2024, 05:06 PM
Alkinola needs to go. Loan him to a CPL team.

Owusu needs one goal and I feel his confidence will sky rocket.

We are at 25% of the way to meeting how many wins we had all last season lol.

Owusu does a lot of things right. Too bad he didn’t put that header in. Think you’re right, if he can score one his confidence will shoot up.

SenorDingDong
03-03-2024, 05:07 PM
Owusu does a lot of things right. Too bad he didn’t put that header in.

Yea and scored but offside. I feel his goal is coming.

leedsandTFC
03-03-2024, 05:10 PM
going to be a good team this year.

tough to beat.

barticusz
03-03-2024, 05:24 PM
So happy for the guys to get that win. That much have felt so good after such a long spell.

Flores and Long have been immense so far this year and exactly what this team has needed. Add in the fact that everyone is else buying in and we're working as a group and we've got a chance to be competitive which is all I was hoping for.

Now all we have to do is go out and buy any one of the young strikers currently ripping up the Belgian First Division as one of our new DP's - Kevin Denkey, Thiago Rodrigues or Kasper Dolberg. Make it happen!

Yohan
03-03-2024, 05:40 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWiNWsDlbuw

SenorDingDong
03-03-2024, 05:43 PM
going to be a good team this year.

tough to beat.

I still need to see a few more scenarios to get over the shell shock of last season. Like what happens when they go down a goal? Do they roll over and die or fight.

OgtheDim
03-03-2024, 05:55 PM
I still need to see a few more scenarios to get over the shell shock of last season. Like what happens when they go down a goal? Do they roll over and die or fight.

There was a play around 70 or so minutes in where the ball was rolling towards the TFC end line off a rebound and the two TFC defenders slowed down thinking it would run out - NER guy came in and shot - ended up as a save by Johsnon

The reaction to a goal against on a play like that - boneheaded - is where I will be testing this team.

leedsandTFC
03-03-2024, 06:18 PM

this team last year wilts and dies in that 2nd half.

not that i think thy would have gone in at ht at 1-0.

ag futbol
03-03-2024, 06:33 PM
Yeah, I’m not sure I subscribe to us gunning for the top. But the team tries hard, plays with skill, and leaves plenty of reasons to keep watching (Flores borderline cult hero after 2 games).

When we’re finally able to turn over some more roster spots and dump salary we’ll be in a really good place but expect that won’t be until 2025.

James17930
03-03-2024, 06:44 PM
NER only lost 1 home game last year. They’re were bad on the road but always dominant at home.

And when's the last time we won in NE? I can't remember. We've historically been terrible there.

James17930
03-03-2024, 06:45 PM

And I'm not even sure it was offside. Borderline at most.

leedsandTFC
03-03-2024, 06:47 PM
players we're trying to recruit will surely be more willing to join after these first two games.

real feel good factor around the club for the first time in like 4 years.

SenorDingDong
03-03-2024, 07:21 PM
How did everyone like Petretta in wingback role? Thought he did well

Bushmancan
03-03-2024, 07:26 PM

he does a lot of the small things right but hasn’t got the break yet. I want to see spicer scare the crap out of some teams with speed.

ag futbol
03-03-2024, 07:29 PM
How did everyone like Petretta in wingback role? Thought he did well
Felt a lot more natural than fullback, that’s for sure.

We should be talking about Gomis though. That was a wildly solid debut for a 21 year old who has bounced around in recent years trying to find playing time.

benito
03-03-2024, 07:36 PM
I wasn’t able to watch the game but very happy with result! The highlights looked pretty good and it was nice to see Insigne score. Hopefully he wasn’t tempting fate with his celebration. Looking forward to next weekend!

Oldtimer
03-03-2024, 08:44 PM

"Turf teams" have a home familiarity advantage with their pitch, it's weird bounces, etc.

ensco
03-03-2024, 10:07 PM
I still cannot get over that save.

I mean, in terms of caliber of save, that was I think the finest stop we have ever seen from any TFC keeper.

Then to have it happen in stoppage time, nursing a lead, on the road…

I am still shaking my head, 6 hours later.

MikeForbes
03-03-2024, 10:54 PM

I mean, in terms of caliber of save, that was I think the finest stop we have ever seen from any TFC keeper.

Is it controversial to say that in terms of ability (maybe not success), Sean Johnson is the best keeper in TFC history? Julio Cesar doesn't count.

spe18
03-03-2024, 11:19 PM

Do you mean the goal itself?

As I think the guys on Apple TV, a few minutes later, were saying it was actually an earlier pass that was offside.

portu
03-03-2024, 11:54 PM
Fucking good team. Ayo is washed, I hate to say it because I was so high on him forever.

SirBobSaget
03-04-2024, 12:44 AM
"Turf teams" have a home familiarity advantage with their pitch, it's weird bounces, etc.
For sure, similar to high altitude teams like Colorado and salt lake. Can also make a case for extreme weather stadiums like the cold one in the north, tropical ones in Florida and hot and dry in the south. A big part of what makes mls challenging and unpredictable is the inconsistent climates and pitches along with gruelling travel. Don’t think any other league in the world compares.

Mr. Inbetween
03-04-2024, 03:44 AM
And New England, which will probably only change if they’re made to.

Whoops. Mea culpa; missed NE. Correction, that is seven stadiums.

Webdogg
03-04-2024, 06:43 AM
There’s only one team with 0 GA.
TFC as the last to concede - nobody would have taken that bet

ensco
03-04-2024, 07:00 AM

Four road points total in 2023.

Zero wins, 4 draws, 13 losses on the road last year.

3 of the first 4 road games last year were draws, and we went into the 4th - the opener at DC- with the lead in stoppage time. Our seeming “grittiness” on the road was, it is hard to remember, getting some positive attention early last year.

This is fun… and … it's a long season.

Kamp Berg
03-04-2024, 07:30 AM
I really enjoyed yesterday’s game, first time in a long time. Loving the new additions to the team. Great saves by Johnson and Petretta!

ag futbol
03-04-2024, 08:12 AM
Four road points total in 2023.

Zero wins, 4 draws, 13 losses on the road last year.

3 of the first 4 road games last year were draws, and we went into the 4th - the opener at DC- with the lead in stoppage time. Our seeming “grittiness” on the road was, it is hard to remember, getting some positive attention early last year.

This is fun… and … it's a long season.
In fairness, while we scooped some road points early last year, they never played like this. Watching guys hustle to track back when the other team is countering, making last ditch tackles, coming over to help their teammates when the opponent’s best player has the ball… none of that happened with Bradley.

I recall many lamenting how terrible we looked despite picking up points. It was an observation that certainly proved true later.

As you said, it’s a long year and we’re far from the finished product. But there seems to be something to look forward to at least.

JoesphNdo
03-04-2024, 08:33 AM
Fucking good team. Ayo is washed, I hate to say it because I was so high on him forever.

This was the only negative for me, he doesn't look like a professional footballer. The commentators covered for him but that play in the last minute was downright embarrassing. He didn't run to the corner to waste time, he did that because even with a yard or two head start and being fresh vs a defence in the 95th minute he knew he didn't have the pace to make it to a one on one with the goalkeeper. It was shocking. I don't know if he's carrying too much muscle or its the injuries but he just doesn't look like he belongs at this level whatsoever any more. I hope he can find a way to improve but it really looks bad right now. I do think we made a huge mistake in our transfer dealings not getting a striker it's by far our biggest need.

Joe Kool
03-04-2024, 08:56 AM
Glad to see the win. Enjoyed watching the starting lineup play. Scary thing is we have nothing off the bench and it made things tense. I can’t see us scraping by with nothing coming off the bench. Ayo is not it and neither is Short Shorts.

jloome
03-04-2024, 09:05 AM
Post game locker room shot:https://i.redd.it/327g61gso8mc1.jpeg

Canary10
03-04-2024, 09:07 AM
This was the only negative for me, he doesn't look like a professional footballer. The commentators covered for him but that play in the last minute was downright embarrassing. He didn't run to the corner to waste time, he did that because even with a yard or two head start and being fresh vs a defence in the 95th minute he knew he didn't have the pace to make it to a one on one with the goalkeeper. It was shocking. I don't know if he's carrying too much muscle or its the injuries but he just doesn't look like he belongs at this level whatsoever any more. I hope he can find a way to improve but it really looks bad right now. I do think we made a huge mistake in our transfer dealings not getting a striker it's by far our biggest need.

This was exactly my thought. Lol.

Canary10
03-04-2024, 09:09 AM

That was a hard shot at around knee level, and somehow he got it up over the bar with one hand? I don't know how he did that. Most volleyball players couldn't have done that.

DinamoTFC
03-04-2024, 09:27 AM
I can't blame Ayo for going to the corner in the end. Mature players would do that while other would try to score a goal. Either is fine.

However it does look like ever since Jozy started mentoring Ayo, Ayo has tried to replicate himself into a mini younger Jozy and it hasn't paid off at all. Ayo got thicker like Jozy but slower. Instead of making direct runs like he used to, he plays with his back to goal and fails to do it decently, he also lost all confidence in his shooting and decision making. I do think most of this comes down to the fact he's 15 lbs of muscle overweight which is a lot of mass.

I'll give him few more games under Herdman since even Ayo himself understands his downward spiral, but it ain't looking good at all.

Prof
03-04-2024, 10:17 AM
Starting 11 all played well. Johnson, Flores, Long, O'Neil and the new kid Gomis stood on their head. Really nice to see the intensity. Akinola and Thompson are not MLS quality. We need to get a glimpse of Blessing and Mailula to see what they have. Berna played great, but was gassed defending at the end. Should have been put up top when Owusu was subbed off.:drinking:

jloome
03-04-2024, 10:49 AM
Starting 11 all played well. Johnson, Flores, Long, O'Neil and the new kid Gomis stood on their head. Really nice to see the intensity. Akinola and Thompson are not MLS quality. We need to get a glimpse of Blessing and Mailula to see what they have. Berna played great, but was gassed defending at the end. Should have been put up top when Owusu was subbed off.:drinking:

Thompson is still very young.

SenorDingDong
03-04-2024, 11:23 AM

With how Petretta did so decent playing wing back it makes me think that Berna could maybe get some time as the #9...

Derko
03-04-2024, 11:45 AM
My thoughts as well

jloome
03-04-2024, 11:46 AM
With how Petretta did so decent playing wing back it makes me think that Berna could maybe get some time as the #9...

Fede's work rate yesterday was unmatched other than Flores and maybe Osorio, I'd say.

He was all over the pitch, making runs, switching flanks, tracking back. Rarely got caught high.

jloome
03-04-2024, 12:39 PM
This was exactly my thought. Lol.

It's muscle weight. Look at that picture above, his biceps are weightlifter size. They're almost the same thickness as some of the nearby heads for fuck's sake.

Maybe they don't want to discourage him from building strength because he had a complete ACL tear and year long rehab.

But his play style depends somewhat on quickness and he's built like an NFL linebacker, not a footballer.

Oldtimer
03-04-2024, 12:59 PM
Is it controversial to say that in terms of ability (maybe not success), Sean Johnson is the best keeper in TFC history? Julio Cesar doesn't count.

For sure. Stefan Frei ultimately became one of the best in MLS, but he wasn't that yet when he was with the Reds.

Prof
03-04-2024, 02:23 PM
Thompson is still very young.

Same age as new defender Gomis. At 21 you either have what it takes and when given the opportunity to play showcase it, or you do not. He does not.

MikeForbes
03-04-2024, 03:04 PM
https://twitter.com/TorontoFC/status/1764730356886905095?s=20

OgtheDim
03-04-2024, 04:36 PM
But his play style depends somewhat on quickness and he's built like an NFL linebacker, not a footballer.

If he was built like an NFL linebacker, I wouldn't mind - but the guy doesn't have NFL/CFL/College ball agility either - he can't out leap/muscle people in the air or drive past them using a decent swim move.

As you said, he's built like a weightlifter - that doesn't work anywhere but the gym.

ensco
03-04-2024, 05:10 PM
I trust Herdman on this. Kerr is about to get these minutes, and Ayo will have to score 10 or 15 goals for TFC 2 or something to get back in the mix.

James17930
03-05-2024, 03:00 AM
Do you mean the goal itself?

As I think the guys on Apple TV, a few minutes later, were saying it was actually an earlier pass that was offside.

Ah, I see. There wasn't a replay of that.

James17930
03-05-2024, 03:04 AM
https://twitter.com/TorontoFC/status/1764730356886905095?s=20

"Team of the Matchday."

Doesn't have much of a ring to it, unfortunately.

Yohan
03-05-2024, 06:15 AM
Keep in mind that both Cincy and NE played midweek on CCC. So they probably were a bit more tired than TFC

SenorDingDong
03-05-2024, 07:12 AM
I trust Herdman on this. Kerr is about to get these minutes, and Ayo will have to score 10 or 15 goals for TFC 2 or something to get back in the mix.

Kerr and Owusu is who I would run with for striker. Rotate the two

JonO
03-05-2024, 11:32 AM
Ah, I see. There wasn't a replay of that.
There actually was but it was very quick and well after the play. Not impressed with the Apple broadcast…

James17930
03-05-2024, 09:01 PM
There actually was but it was very quick and well after the play. Not impressed with the Apple broadcast…

Oh, than yeah, I missed it.