PDA

View Full Version : Leauges Cup Round 2 - Atlas @ TFC Sunday July 30 7:38pm - We're in for nasty weathe

OgtheDim
07-26-2023, 08:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3eC35LoF4U&ab_channel=TalkingHeads

Have at It People

MikeForbes
07-26-2023, 08:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3eC35LoF4U&ab_channel=TalkingHeads

Have at It People

Thank you OG for continuing to do these.

Maybe Cassius debuts? Uhhhh... Ibarra back, maybe? Anyone else have any potential positives?

benito
07-27-2023, 12:24 AM
Anyone else have any potential positives?

Perhaps a severe storm rolls through town and the game gets cancelled due to lightning.

Blindside16
07-27-2023, 02:13 AM
Perhaps a severe storm rolls through town and the game gets cancelled due to lightning.

Perhaps the entire Atlas team eats some questionable sushi before the match and have to forfeit due to everyone running for a bathroom stall

Blindside16
07-27-2023, 02:15 AM
Get ready to give up 2 first half goals and then have Atlas play the most boring clock killing football ever, or the want to win the group and will look to score 4

Richard
07-27-2023, 08:24 AM
It would be less embarrassing to simply forfeit the game than have what happened last game again.

I dont want to scapegoat anyone as they were all terrible, but Mabika literally slowing down to a walking pace(no injury by the way) and letting the ball carrier simple stroll by is all you need to know about the team.

Spineless unprofessional cowards.

This team fully deserves to get relegated into irrelevance, the CPL winner should take TFC'S spot next year in MLS.

Ultra & Proud
07-27-2023, 08:26 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say we have a huge bounce back effort after that embarrassment last night and lose only 3-0.

Joe Kool
07-27-2023, 08:38 AM
Positive....my wife can't wait to wear her new energy kit and the outfit has been picked out in advance. Negative.....everything else right now. If they fixed the cracks in our seats in my section finally that will be a positive. Sent my rep the picture of it after the last game I was there for.

Ultra & Proud
07-27-2023, 08:43 AM
Positive....my wife can't wait to wear her new energy kit and the outfit has been picked out in advance. Negative.....everything else right now. If they fixed the cracks in our seats in my section finally that will be a positive. Sent my rep the picture of it after the last game I was there for.
They'll probably send a security guy up with 5 inches of duct tape up when you get there. That seems to be the TFC/MLSE way of fixing things that are broken.

Mister Karpf
07-27-2023, 08:52 AM
Are we brown bagging it at BMO on Sunday?

SoccMan2
07-27-2023, 08:56 AM
I guess we need to bring back the “ all we are saying is gives a goal “ chant back to Sunday’s and any other games as long as this streak of no goals continues!

Ultra & Proud
07-27-2023, 08:59 AM
I guess we need to bring back the “ all we are saying is gives a goal “ chant back to Sunday’s and any other games as long as this streak of no goals continues!
All we are saying...is Manning must go.

Slick
07-27-2023, 10:12 AM
I'm not going to the game. I'm not even going to give my tickets away either.

Gringo Starr
07-27-2023, 10:26 AM
At least Atlas isn’t a high scoring team

leedsandTFC
07-27-2023, 11:09 AM

neither were nycfc

Ultra & Proud
07-27-2023, 11:16 AM
Until Sunday. We have a way of turning that around for other teams. Uncle Terry has us being generous with that.

Stress
07-27-2023, 11:17 AM
What do we have to do to advance? Win 7-0?

Ultra & Proud
07-27-2023, 11:23 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I bet we don't score 7 goals in the rest of 2023.

Mr. Inbetween
07-27-2023, 11:37 AM

FWIW, not sure how accurate this information is, but it's been mentioned that with a, ahem, 3-0 win against Atlas, TFC will advance into the next round of The LC.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRzK0JfGJnlsyTBvq_1ENMmWCIxt4Asi mfGKQ&usqp=CAU

Ultra & Proud
07-27-2023, 11:42 AM
FWIW, not sure how accurate this information is, but it's been mentioned that with a, ahem, 3-0 win against Atlas, TFC will advance into the next round of The LC.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRzK0JfGJnlsyTBvq_1ENMmWCIxt4Asi mfGKQ&usqp=CAU

I wouldn't even bet on us getting 3 goals in our last 13 matches much less do it against Atlas this Sunday. I could see us allow 3 though.

Joe Kool
07-27-2023, 12:09 PM
They'll probably send a security guy up with 5 inches of duct tape up when you get there. That seems to be the TFC/MLSE way of fixing things that are broken.

I wouldn't be surprised at anything.

Since the first seat was broken and not working well I will probably get an interim seat and then that interim seat will either become my actual seat next year if it does well or maybe my seat will get replaced with a whole other seat that gives me a different experience altogether if I am lucky.

leedsandTFC
07-27-2023, 01:06 PM

loll

ensco
07-27-2023, 01:09 PM
Wondering about this feels like wondering whether it will snow in July… I mean it could…

I cannot find the tiebreak rules anywhere… but it is possible TFC get through with win in regulation by any score.

This article says:

If two teams are tied on the same number of points at the end of the group stage, the result(s) between the clubs in question will be the first tie-breaker, following by goal difference, then most goals scored. In the unlikely event the there is still a tie, the teams’ positions in the competition’s fair play table will then be used as a decider.
https://en.as.com/soccer/leagues-cup-2023-what-happens-in-case-of-a-tie-in-the-group-stage-the-point-system-explained-n/#

So the question is, how is a three way tiebreak done? Which is what would happen if TFC win in regulation (which, I note, requires them to score- an interesting problem. But I digress…)

If TFC win, say 1-0, the head to head is inconclusive. So NYCFC clearly finishes first in a three way tiebreak on goal differential, and Atlas would be second …. but wait... do they “reset” and re do the tiebreak once NYCFC gets top spot? Because if they do, TFC would have beaten Atlas…

”So there is a chance…”

Luanda
07-27-2023, 01:39 PM
Unless Atlas do not show up...the dream is over!

Ultra & Proud
07-27-2023, 02:47 PM
Wondering about this feels like wondering whether it will snow in July… I mean it could…

I cannot find the tiebreak rules anywhere… but it is possible TFC get through with win in regulation by any score.

This article says:

If two teams are tied on the same number of points at the end of the group stage, the result(s) between the clubs in question will be the first tie-breaker, following by goal difference, then most goals scored. In the unlikely event the there is still a tie, the teams’ positions in the competition’s fair play table will then be used as a decider.
https://en.as.com/soccer/leagues-cup-2023-what-happens-in-case-of-a-tie-in-the-group-stage-the-point-system-explained-n/#

So the question is, how is a three way tiebreak done? Which is what would happen if TFC win in regulation (which, I note, requires them to score- an interesting problem. But I digress…)

If TFC win, say 1-0, the head to head is inconclusive. So NYCFC clearly finishes first in a three way tiebreak on goal differential, and Atlas would be second …. but wait... do they “reset” and re do the tiebreak once NYCFC gets top spot? Because if they do, TFC would have beaten Atlas…

”So there is a chance…”
This really isn't worth this much effort. It's impossible for us even to score much less win a match. We would have a better chance of it raining frogs on Sunday than that.

Derko
07-27-2023, 03:45 PM
All the planets and stars will have to align for TFC to at least score a goal, let alone win the match.

Valdal
07-27-2023, 04:05 PM
No matter what, itll be fun to see a Mexican side play at BMO field for once in my life

ensco
07-27-2023, 04:11 PM
This really isn't worth this much effort. It's impossible for us even to score much less win a match. We would have a better chance of it raining frogs on Sunday than that.

There are ways we could score…

https://twitter.com/tgloban/status/1315571137062023168?s=61&t=m37cT46Agnuvoekh9VGF_w

PizzaEatingYeti
07-28-2023, 10:08 AM

The pitch will look good.
(No other positives to be expected.)

Ultra & Proud
07-28-2023, 10:10 AM
Since the attendance will probably really be about 7K the line up to the GO tunnel shouldn't be too bad.

PizzaEatingYeti
07-28-2023, 10:13 AM
All we are saying...is Manning must go.

This sounds nice, and it's very chantable!

MikeForbes
07-29-2023, 11:27 AM
No Cassius tomorrow. Ibarra injured and questionable for tomorrow per Dunfield.

wopchop
07-29-2023, 11:57 AM
Ibarra injured and questionable for tomorrow per Dunfield.
LOL, welcome to TFC.

reggie
07-29-2023, 12:56 PM
looking at ticketmaster,hardly any tickets left for the game tomorrow,is that possible did the atlas fans buy a bunch?

FootBallAZ
07-29-2023, 02:24 PM
looking at ticketmaster,hardly any tickets left for the game tomorrow,is that possible did the atlas fans buy a bunch?

Believe the sold out stadium is due to season seat holders having this game included with no additional cost. Will be interesting to see if itll be 50% of what is showing on ticketmaster.

Or could be atlas got all the tickets from tfc season holders lol.

I m not going myself i did change my mind briefly as i enjoy mexican teams and crowd.

Mr. Inbetween
07-29-2023, 02:44 PM
Reply RESPECT! to the Q…

https://twitter.com/JBradley08736/status/1685341934032744448

PizzaEatingYeti
07-30-2023, 01:15 AM
Sorry to say, but if there will be any more than 10,000 butts in the seats for this match, it means the general public in Toronto does not care at all about the performance and the onfield product put out by TFC, and the hugely overwhelming % of people who go to TFC matches are occasional match goers, tourists, and anyone bored and looking to some family/with friends time-out, but common denominator is they don't give a f...uck about TFC.

Bushmancan
07-30-2023, 08:30 AM
Reply RESPECT! to the Q…

https://twitter.com/JBradley08736/status/1685341934032744448

The importance of coaching is to keep players aware. If we lost by 3 and won by 2 tonight (not predicting or even believing this), we would be through. You are in a mini tournament, gf/ga matters. It was really sad to see the team turn off like that. How the coaching staff didnt drive home 90 minutes is beyond me.

Someone start a poll, does Bernadeschi start… I vote no!

noxx98
07-30-2023, 10:44 AM
Will be there tonight. At this point it’s a ritual for my friend and I to attend - no matter how good or bad the team is. We’ll enjoy some over priced beers and hopefully have something to talk about.
Come on you reds. (Also, let’s get the summer of Perruzza off the ground tonight)

ensco
07-30-2023, 10:51 AM
Sorry to say, but if there will be any more than 10,000 butts in the seats for this match, it means the general public in Toronto does not care at all about the performance and the onfield product put out by TFC, and the hugely overwhelming % of people who go to TFC matches are occasional match goers, tourists, and anyone bored and looking to some family/with friends time-out, but common denominator is they don't give a f...uck about TFC.

Sorry but this is a kind of very narrow, hardcore take only.

There are people who paid a lot of money for seats. It's a nice summer night. They're going, and it's not because they are happy with how things are going.

MikeForbes
07-30-2023, 12:09 PM
https://twitter.com/TorontoFC/status/1685696877197455362?s=20

OgtheDim
07-30-2023, 12:12 PM
People also go to enjoy the atmosphere, take their friends, be there with family.

There is something about live sport people enjoy. Suggesting people should not go because of the results is misunderstanding why people go.

I can not because Sunday nights do not work for me - nor do weeknights. I could do Sunday afternoons (why Leagues cup is all at night and not on Sunday or Saturday afternoons makes no sense to me). But I would never begrudge people going.

I think it will be a small crowd, as all Leagues Cup matches have been apart from Miami.

jloome
07-30-2023, 12:13 PM
We already know CJ is gonzo in the offseason, so we should start Peruzza again. If he's going to show anything, this run has to be it. That header was a gilt-edged chance in the last game; if he can't finish those, he's just not going to be worth the time at this level.

I don't think he's going to make the step up anymore. It's been three years now since he was USL2 scoring champ and he hasn't had enough time or showed enough hunger.

We'll probably go 442 again, which is a mistake. We don't have the interplay needed to use the fullness of width, and we'll just end out bombing crosses into a low block again if we do.

It would be nice to see Blessing as the number six. He's quite good at it and quite quick, and he's not a great offensive player. And we usually need a dedicated six.

Bernardeschi's most productive period in his career, at Fiorentina, was when he played outside, on left wing, rather than being inverted. He scored more back post goals by far than he ever has shooting from the top of the box. As Insigne is out, it makes sense to move him there, Oso in the hole, Kerr on the right.

I mean, neither he nor Kerr bothered to fucking run for most of their time last week, so...

Equally, Mabika is talented. I thought he quit on a play last week, but maybe the answer there is to make him prove he gives a shit. So give him one more start and see if it's a different story.

We're stuck with them, so we have to try and get something out of them.
------------Johnson----------
Franklin--O'Neil--Mabika--Petretta
------------Blessing----------------
---------Osorio----Coello----------
---Kerr-----Peruzza-----Bernardeschi

Something like that.

I still can't believe we gave up a guy who scored 10 in 36 games for us last year, massive cold streak notwithstanding, in favor of a midfielder, Servania, who appears lost or amused half the time he's out there.

Since going to Dallas, Jiminez has made 13 appearances, all as a winger, has two assists. What a waste of a good finisher. He just got ZERO service and he's a poacher, so... yeah, he's going to go cold.

But he could finish. He just didn't fit Bob's plan/The Italians' desire to do everything singlehandedly.

Poz slide ruling him passes AND the Italians? And he could make that work? Fuck me. What a different that front four would've made.

MikeForbes
07-30-2023, 12:15 PM
O'Neill is suspended for tonight's match after his red against NYCFC.

jloome
07-30-2023, 12:18 PM
O'Neill is suspended for tonight's match after his red against NYCFC.

Well of course. I mean, he's such a c-grade defender now -- he was competing to start in Seattle and was once an MLS "he's off to Europe! He'll be a star!" player. Still better than our alternatives.

But hey, maybe the 16-year-old who looks like he needs to gain weight will surprise us and not be totally dominated in a competition with grown men.

JoesphNdo
07-30-2023, 12:22 PM

Absolute nonsense. I've never considered not going to a team I support because because they're shit, if everyone had this attitude there'd be like four stadiums with any fans in them in the big European leagues

Initial B
07-30-2023, 01:11 PM
So if TFC lose 8-0 tonight, will that be enough to get the MLSE boards attention and immediately do something?

Mr. Inbetween
07-30-2023, 01:52 PM
It's the hope that kills. My preferred formation take...

A 4-3-3... 4-1-2-3...

---JMR----FB-----DK---
---JO-------------AC---
-----------LB-----------
---RP--AM--SR--KF---
-----------SJ-----------

SenorDingDong
07-30-2023, 02:40 PM
It's the hope that kills. My preferred formation take...

A 4-3-3... 4-1-2-3...

---JMR----FB-----DK---
---JO-------------AC---
-----------LB-----------
---RP--AM--SR--KF---
-----------SJ-----------

Is Ibarro injured or something?

OgtheDim
07-30-2023, 02:48 PM
Is Ibarro injured or something?

Yes...up earlier in the thread.

samuraizero
07-30-2023, 04:07 PM
Is leagues cup being streamed on apple tv, or does anyone know where I can watch it? Too sick to go to the game tonight :(

MikeForbes
07-30-2023, 04:09 PM
Is leagues cup being streamed on apple tv, or does anyone know where I can watch it? Too sick to go to the game tonight :(

It is indeed on Apple TV.

noxx98
07-30-2023, 04:58 PM
https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/1685771055002980357?s=46&t=GCr8QMmqiM22O2dywkPiDQ
Looks like Ibarra might play!

jloome
07-30-2023, 05:09 PM

Hope you feel better soon.

ensco
07-30-2023, 05:48 PM
At game. Many Mexican fans here in sombreros and wearing El Tri jerseys. Fun.

MikeForbes
07-30-2023, 05:53 PM
Uhhhh... Is Servania at RB and we are starting a 16 year old at CB?

https://twitter.com/TorontoFC/status/1685786776009371648?s=20

OgtheDim
07-30-2023, 05:54 PM
FWIW

https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/1685786963540852736

FiveThreeTwo
07-30-2023, 05:58 PM
This is yelling into the void but- I'm expecting a loss. At this point in the season, one more loss has nothing to do with chalking up another reason for me to be salty... to confirm how shit the season is and why manning is bad, and we need to change shit. That's already been codified lol, a loss alone won't change that.

But lets play with some effort. Lets go down swinging here ffs. Put some passes together. Keep a basic shape, get back to winning the 1v1 battles and 2nd balls and just get back to basic professional football they can be at least proud about. Without the italians lets get back to fighting for team mates and covering when they over extend or get torched on a flank. If Terry or his staff have any sort of game plan. This should be it. I usually hate the term quick wins, but this team on the field needs some quick bloody wins to gain even marginal morale gains lol. If they can play with some pride and effort and still go down swinging and do all the little professional things without giving up- I'm fine with a loss.

If I see a few more mabikas just walking around after we go down a goal, and there's 0 pride in themselves, the work that got them to that point as players, their team mates or the folks paying money to watch them and trying to at least urge them on to build some confidence and get a goal or a result - then fuck em... that salt will continue

OgtheDim
Uhhhh... Is Servania at RB and we are starting a 16 year old at CB?

Dunfield tried Servania at RB for the end of the Chicago game and it was one of the reasons why Chicago got their winner.

This looks like more "lets throw out some people in something they may be decent in and see how the numbers work"

Amir.
looks like dunfield really likes servania at rb...guess its a way to fit him in the eleven with all these midfielders available

MikeForbes
07-30-2023, 06:03 PM
Dunfield tried Servania at RB for the end of the Chicago game and it was one of the reasons why Chicago got their winner.

This looks like more "lets throw out some people in something they may be decent in and see how the numbers work"

Kind of reminds me of Armas shoehorning Delgado in at RM and occasionally RB just because he wanted him on the field.

Bushmancan
07-30-2023, 06:08 PM
First and foremost bring back our Red kits!!!

ensco
07-30-2023, 06:10 PM
I am watching Atlas run proper drills in warmup. We are shuffling around - just guys kicking ball back and forth- like its youth soccer.

ensco
07-30-2023, 06:12 PM
This is going to be an Atlas crowd. Big clusters of them at north end of upper deck on east side, and behind the north net, and they are in the MOOD

Bushmancan
07-30-2023, 06:15 PM
https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/1685786776009371648?s=46&t=LPJQqint7A0s6YNY-o9Urw

wopchop
07-30-2023, 06:31 PM
Pre-game on AppleTV So frustrating. 1-2 minutes of content then 5 minutes of the same montage, over and over and over.

This could be a devastating match. This Atlas team is good.

MikeForbes
07-30-2023, 06:33 PM
Gonna be some clash between our energy kits and Atlas' goalkeeper kit.

Amir.
07-30-2023, 06:34 PM
some 3 digit jersey numbers on the other side tonight...#209 is starting

MikeForbes
07-30-2023, 06:35 PM

My new favorite player. No idea who he is, but he should be our new DP.

benito
07-30-2023, 06:37 PM
Oh my goodness.

MikeForbes
07-30-2023, 06:37 PM
Guess I'll be watching pro wrestling tonight.

Bushmancan
07-30-2023, 06:38 PM
This is beyond embarrassing… I don’t even need to say —— Manning!

MikeForbes
07-30-2023, 06:38 PM
Rosted is such a punk. I'm 5'8, 155 with a broken ankle and I am pretty sure I could out muscle the guy.

Amir.
07-30-2023, 06:40 PM
mistake on the goal was by batiz the second team player

OgtheDim
07-30-2023, 06:40 PM
JMR on that one play...moves outside and gives their defence a chance to cover everything.

Inability to work 1 v 1 and see the field.

benito
07-30-2023, 06:43 PM

Just learned something new.

https://uni-watch.com/2016/06/30/explainer-three-digit-uni-numbers-in-mexican-soccer/

SoccMan2
07-30-2023, 06:49 PM
Like seriously can we get back to the proper red uniforms enough with these clown outfits !

MikeForbes
07-30-2023, 06:49 PM
Almost a touchdown! Or whatever it is called when our team puts the ball in the net.

SoccMan2
07-30-2023, 06:54 PM
We all loved to criticize Bono but Johnson can do no wrong, I’m sorry but he could have gotten a hand on that goal .

MikeForbes
07-30-2023, 06:54 PM
Blessing is definitely a CM. Not a wide player

OgtheDim
07-30-2023, 06:55 PM
Like seriously can we get back to the proper red uniforms enough with these clown outfits !

If you were talking about the grey with some red thing they were wearing against NYC, I'd agree.

BUT

This kit they are wearing is possibly the best part of this season.

Its unique, and fits into the fabric of the city being Carnival / Caribana focused.

Richard
07-30-2023, 06:56 PM
Surprised the bookies are still taking bets for TFC games.

MikeForbes
07-30-2023, 07:01 PM
If you were talking about the grey with some red thing they were wearing against NYC, I'd agree.

BUT

This kit they are wearing is possibly the best part of this season.

Its unique, and fits into the fabric of the city being Carnival / Caribana focused.

Yeah. These kits are far and away the best we have.

Yuushalinsky
07-30-2023, 07:03 PM
I don't hate these kits and tbh I don't hate the way this team is playing right now aside from the goal

portu
Sometimes you can think to yourself, what’s the real
impact of a coach at this level?

Watching a Dunfield team reminds you.

OgtheDim
Hmm...Atlas giving away the ball in the midfield way more then an "organized" team should.

OgtheDim
07-30-2023, 07:13 PM
Ibarra is allowing Oso to be a box to box. Having Servania over on the RB area keeps Servania from lollygagging.

Batiz looks lost.

Bushmancan
07-30-2023, 07:15 PM
I don't hate these kits and tbh I don't hate the way this team is playing right now aside from the goal

agreed. They are working hard.

FiveThreeTwo
07-30-2023, 07:20 PM
now we reach that part of the game where atlas can gauge our poor talent levels and xG and all that shit... and simply start passing the ball around and treat this is a training exercise and do the bare minimum to get the 3 points and leave... knowing we have no chance in hell of doing anything about it lol.

MikeForbes
07-30-2023, 07:21 PM
Bill Manning is about ready to run out on the field and offer Terry Dunfield a 5 year deal because the team worked hard.

Bushmancan
07-30-2023, 07:23 PM
Bill Manning is about ready to run out on the field and offer Terry Dunfield a 5 year deal because the team worked hard.

Nice!

ag futbol
07-30-2023, 07:23 PM
Can’t watch today, just saw scoreline. How are we playing?

Amir.
07-30-2023, 07:24 PM
should be 0-2 with the usual osorio mistake but atlas somehow misses

OgtheDim
07-30-2023, 07:25 PM
Can’t watch today, just saw scoreline. How are we playing?

Well apart from the one kid gifting a ball to provide what ammounted to a 3 on 1 where Rosted was the 1 and couldn't handle the strong forward flinging him off......that was the goal......not bad.

Mostly because Atlas is not providing any midfield presume and the midfield is acting progressively and Ibarra is just a good DM.

MikeForbes
07-30-2023, 07:29 PM
Nice!

It is probably between Dunfield and Caldwell. Let's be honest.

samuraizero
07-30-2023, 07:34 PM
My FREE SSH subscription for apple tv just died while watching somehow?
Edit: and now its back

Apple TV sucks so bad

OgtheDim
07-30-2023, 07:41 PM
It is probably between Dunfield and Caldwell. Let's be honest.

I get the "all is crap therefore this crap idea must be true" thinking involved in this but there has been no indication through the grapevine or otherwise that Caldwell or Dunfield are being looked at for the permanent role.

jloome
07-30-2023, 07:42 PM
Dan "Release The" Gargan keeps talking about how hard it will be for us to have nearly a month off. I have to think it's rare for a team to be so bad it could actually benefit from a second pre-season. But we probably would.

MikeForbes
07-30-2023, 07:46 PM
I get the "all is crap therefore this crap idea must be true" thinking involved in this but there has been no indication through the grapevine or otherwise that Caldwell or Dunfield are being looked at for the permanent role.

I think we talked about this previously and while we should never take Singh's word as gospel, he did say that their ideal hire was someone known to TFC and CMNT fans. The only other guy who I can think of that fits that mold is Dichio. I will be so happy to see someone else given the job.

OgtheDim
07-30-2023, 07:47 PM
Next game is in exactly 3 weeks.

jloome
07-30-2023, 07:47 PM

My sense would be that the chances of that happening are somewhere around non-existent.

OgtheDim
07-30-2023, 07:48 PM
I think we talked about this previously and while we should never take Singh's word as gospel, he did say that their ideal hire was someone known to TFC and CMNT fans. The only other guy who I can think of that fits that mold is Dichio. I will be so happy to see someone else given the job.

Biello might have been talked to which is maybe where Singh gets that....but I don't trust Singh much at all.

Ultra & Proud
07-30-2023, 07:53 PM
Biello might have been talked to which is maybe where Singh gets that....but I don't trust Singh much at all.

This is what I was thinking when Singh said that.

jloome
07-30-2023, 07:55 PM
Summer window closes in three days. If we're shedding an Italian and gaining a striker, it has to be by Wednesday night.

I am not optimistic.

Amir.
07-30-2023, 07:58 PM
new member of lower body injury is latif blessing

ronzilla
They've gone 505+ minutes and counting without scoring a single goal.

Six games in July all goalless.

Everything's fine.

Ultra & Proud
A new addition to Lower Body FC.

Ultra & Proud
07-30-2023, 07:59 PM
Summer window closes in three days. If we're shedding an Italian and gaining a striker, it has to be by Wednesday night.

I am not optimistic.

I'm more upset that Diomande is still "here".

Bushmancan
07-30-2023, 07:59 PM
Next game is in exactly 3 weeks.

Blessing is going to need it

jloome
07-30-2023, 08:02 PM
Some soft calls tonight.

OgtheDim
07-30-2023, 08:02 PM
Atlas is playing really smart cup football here.

OgtheDim
07-30-2023, 08:04 PM
Some soft calls tonight.

Sagafi is going to Sagafi.

Its been interesting watching Leagues Cup and the difference between MLS & LigaMx or CONCACAF refs. MLS guys are so obviously "I'm in this process so watch me as I ref" sort of refs whereas the rest are more involved in assuring the game flows without losing control or allowing thuggery.

OgtheDim
07-30-2023, 08:07 PM
We are playing like a team who's been told at the half 'A 1-1 draw would be a victory."

Bushmancan
07-30-2023, 08:20 PM
Why are we afraid to put our laces through the ball! great run by Kerr … awful last steps.

jloome
07-30-2023, 08:21 PM
Lots of hard work tonight but just not enough quality.

OgtheDim
07-30-2023, 08:23 PM
Dunfield looks pained - like he thinks if they somehow got a win tonight, he'd have a chance to keep his job.

OgtheDim
07-30-2023, 08:28 PM
A FK situation that just screamed "left foot please"...taken by Servania right into the meat of the wall.

jloome
07-30-2023, 08:31 PM
I swear to God, nearly four weeks ago I said to my team contact that "if we don't sign a TAM or DP striker by the end of the window, we may not score another goal all season."

I think they considered that hyperbole.

OgtheDim
07-30-2023, 08:34 PM
we might somehow score against Vancouver or Charlotte or maybe NYRB - not sure anybody else though.

Derko
07-30-2023, 08:35 PM
Why are we afraid to put our laces through the ball! great run by Kerr … awful last steps.

TFC never have had the gumsion to put the laces through the ball. No grit want it to look pretty. I remember a poll put out by TFC years ago asking if supporters would sacrifice results, to play more 'Attractive' football, what a parcel of crap. Gritty hard sloppy wins, fuck this attractive football. we don't have the skill set.

FiveThreeTwo
07-30-2023, 08:42 PM
I swear to God, nearly four weeks ago I said to my team contact that "if we don't sign a TAM or DP striker by the end of the window, we may not score another goal all season."

I think they considered that hyperbole.

definitely not hyperbole lol. mixed with lack of skill and just absolute bottoming out of confidence and ability to think clear and positive during in game scenarios when there's so much I assume expectations/stress/and gongshow going on.

Only way we get into a scoring bug is if somehow all these players delete every social media app on their phones for the next 3 weeks lol, they all take 4 day trip up to algonquin park to touch grass, swim in a lake, try out finishing - and detach about the past failures and the uncertainty to come, and just attempt to salvage or restore any sort of positively or sense of having fun and enjoy the process of learning from mistakes and improving again. Clearly none of them are enjoying anything about this, their jobs or the process. I bet nothing these guys learn in training atm, or watch in game tape in on a basic level is being retained- just pure jaded, one ear out the other type stuff.

Only way we score is gonna be off a fluke set piece... own goal or a weird scramble around the box. Team just not only looks underskilled, lacking morale, but also just have a form of performance block from being shelled consistently, and by all teams lol

MikeForbes
07-30-2023, 09:35 PM
Oso with some shots here

https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/1685841698801217536?s=20

ensco
07-30-2023, 09:43 PM
Oso reamed out JMR multiple times in the second half. By the 75th minute he would not pass him the ball.

Gringo Starr
07-30-2023, 10:09 PM
At least Dunfield found 11 guys who gave a shit tonight

Amir.
07-30-2023, 10:19 PM
osorio was terrible...he had a good shot in the first but the rest of the time it was faking and asking for a foul or giving it away and complaining at others...+ that huge giveaway which should have been the second atlas goal...for him and the club its best to go separate ways but is he willing to walk away from 1.4M even on a terrible team

ag futbol
07-30-2023, 10:21 PM
Oso reamed out JMR multiple times in the second half. By the 75th minute he would not pass him the ball.
But he’s un-tradable because of his blue chip talent. Management said so.

OgtheDim
07-31-2023, 06:02 AM
But he’s un-tradable because of his blue chip talent. Management said so.

I still think that's "Waking the Red" people rather then current management.

Random thoughts

Oso to me had a good match because he was freed from having to cover for Servania's lack of space awareness.

Coello not as sharp and incisive in his spatial awareness as Ibarra and not as responsible a DM - Ibarra is constantly checking to see where his CB's are.

Johnson was getting frustrated with the lack of awareness of potential for a quick outlet.

Sapong's touch is almost completely gone - he's CPL / USL level now.

Bushmancan
07-31-2023, 06:54 AM
After criticizing the club for the past month i will say that i thoroughly enjoyed last night. Great weather, better friends! A win/tie would have been nice, crisper in the final 3rd, our lack of real quality etc, etc. But most of all, I enjoyed the effort.

We have completely botched the rebuild that should have begun two years ago, that said if players work hard for the final 10 games. It will be much easier to go to BMO.

wopchop
07-31-2023, 07:50 AM
osorio was terrible...he had a good shot in the first but the rest of the time it was faking and asking for a foul or giving it away and complaining at others...+ that huge giveaway which should have been the second atlas goal...for him and the club its best to go separate ways but is he willing to walk away from 1.4M even on a terrible team
Disagree. To me, he played ok.

For the mid-field, Ibarra stood out to me.
Blessing was terrible, just look at his stats for the game.
https://www.mlssoccer.com/competitions/leagues-cup/2023/matches/atsvstor-07-30-2023/stats

ensco
07-31-2023, 08:53 AM
Disagree. To me, he played ok.

I agree. No idea where this is coming from. Oso looked good aside from the one brain cramp. Set up multiple give and go situations but his teammates didn't have the quality to make anything happen. Overall it was fine.

Prof
07-31-2023, 09:03 AM
Ibarra to me is the only one, along with Sean Johnson in goal that are first team players. A few are borderline and most everyone else are serviceable bench players that all teams need. We need to sign Ibarra and build around him. Overall it was a fun game to be at. The players on the pitch worked hard, but we don't have that killer instinct in the final third that is required at this level.

Ultra & Proud
07-31-2023, 09:17 AM
Ibarra to me is the only one, along with Sean Johnson in goal that are first team players. A few are borderline and most everyone else are serviceable bench players that all teams need. We need to sign Ibarra and build around him.

Agree but I would trade SJ now if possible for $$$. Might as well ride with Romero since we're going younger and SJ only has next season here. After that I would keep all the young, affordable players as bench depth like you mentioned but dump everyone over 30 and try to move all the TAM level players as none of ours are currently worth that rate.

ManUtd4ever
07-31-2023, 09:21 AM
Are we ever going to score again?

Ultra & Proud
07-31-2023, 09:34 AM
There's always 2024.

Canary10
07-31-2023, 09:43 AM

It's really hard to keep watching when you know the game is over 2 minutes in like last night.

Ultra & Proud
07-31-2023, 09:57 AM
It's really hard to keep watching when you know the game is over 2 minutes in like last night.
Realistically they're over before they start. I already know that the best we can hope for in these last 10 matches is maybe a 0-0 draw. If some other team is really, really in a funk from rust, injuries, or terrible form then maybe a 1-1 draw.

There are 30 points left on the table coming up to August 20th and realistically I can't see us getting even 5 points.

Canary10
07-31-2023, 10:00 AM
Realistically they're over before they start. I already know that the best we can hope for in these last 10 matches is maybe a 0-0 draw. If some other team is really, really in a funk from rust, injuries, or terrible form then maybe a 1-1 draw.

There are 30 points left on the table coming up to August 20th and realistically I can't see us getting even 5 points.

I like the suspense of whether we can get the 0-0 draw. I was really disappointed when that was gone in 2 minutes.

Ultra & Proud
07-31-2023, 10:08 AM
I like the suspense of whether we can get the 0-0 draw. I was really disappointed when that was gone in 2 minutes.
The only real suspense now is if we can break that scoreless record of 2007. I still think we can do it. I have faith in our futility.

Canary10
07-31-2023, 10:14 AM
The only real suspense now is if we can break that scoreless record of 2007. I still think we can do it. I have faith in our futility.

It's hard to imagine the circumstances in which we could score. So, yeah, put me down for the record being broken.

jloome
07-31-2023, 10:24 AM

Three more games. Record is 824 minutes.

Ibarra to me is the only one, along with Sean Johnson in goal that are first team players. A few are borderline and most everyone else are serviceable bench players that all teams need. We need to sign Ibarra and build around him. Overall it was a fun game to be at. The players on the pitch worked hard, but we don't have that killer instinct in the final third that is required at this level.

And Ibarra is a six-month loanee. Sounds like he doesn't want to go back to Atlanta, but certainly no guarantee he wants to stay here, either.

Johnson is a good clutch goalie who will save the odd game. He also has the odd boner. He's certainly not expendable, not at his wage.

I don't think anyone on the team is safe, except maybe Oso, and that's a combo of loyalty and him being overpaid relative to recent production.

I think they'll want to hang on to Antonoglu, Stefanovic, Thompson, Kerr, Batiz, possibly Franklin, although his stock has really plummeted in forced duty. I think they deliberately said JMR is hands off to get people interested. He does have great potential but his development has been slow so far.

But our entire squad is expendable, I think.

Yuushalinsky
07-31-2023, 10:32 AM
Three more games. Record is 824 minutes.

And Ibarra is a six-month loanee. Sounds like he doesn't want to go back to Atlanta, but certainly no guarantee he wants to stay here, either.

Johnson is a good clutch goalie who will save the odd game. He also has the odd boner. He's certainly not expendable, not at his wage.

I don't think anyone on the team is safe, except maybe Oso, and that's a combo of loyalty and him being overpaid relative to recent production.

I think they'll want to hang on to Antonoglu, Stefanovic, Thompson, Kerr, Batiz, possibly Franklin, although his stock has really plummeted in forced duty. I think they deliberately said JMR is hands off to get people interested. He does have great potential but his development has been slow so far.

I'm just happy this team didn't look disinterested - that's step one for me.

Ultra & Proud
07-31-2023, 10:33 AM

Hard to really argue otherwise and I extend that to the backroom staff too.

jloome
07-31-2023, 10:38 AM
I'm just happy this team didn't look disinterested - that's step one for me.

I think Terry is an interesting experiment in having a coach who is respectful and approachable.

I don't see him doing enough to make us win, and as much as I respect Oso's opinion, I think our players are accustomed to doing most of the heavy lifting. It's pretty traditional in MLS for managers to be kind of shit compared to the effect they often seem to have in Europe.

We're a much less tactically sound league than people seem to realize, still far too reliant on athleticism and one-on-one play.

His first manager job shouldn't be a shit show like this. They should give him back his academy position but -- given that we ideally would get someone with top academy success to run that -- look at moving him up to coaching the NextPro team in shortish fashion. Give him a shot where the work ethic won't be stifled by the imbalance of talent.

I still think we need someone experienced, who has made smaller clubs and bigger clubs win, who is flexible based on the team at hand.

ManUtd4ever
07-31-2023, 11:39 AM
It's hard to believe, but with everything we went through in the early years, we've hit a new rock bottom.

There needs to be a scorched earth rebuild in the off season.

Ultra & Proud
07-31-2023, 12:08 PM
It's hard to believe, but with everything we went through in the early years, we've hit a new rock bottom.

I'm not sure we're there yet. I believe we can and will go lower before this season is over.

rydermike
07-31-2023, 12:18 PM
I think he hit rock bottom, but then we decided that it wasn't deep enough and decided to start drilling into the rock to go even lower

leedsandTFC
07-31-2023, 12:25 PM
id take more rock bottoms this season if it meant moving on some undesirables that are clogging up the wage bill.

need as much cap space as possible in the offseason.

Ultra & Proud
07-31-2023, 12:32 PM
id take more rock bottoms this season if it meant moving on some undesirables that are clogging up the wage bill.

need as much cap space as possible in the offseason.
This for sure but also knowing our management, if we had some late season push after being officially eliminated from the playoffs I could see Bill getting up there and giving a speach about how Terry turned the young guys around and all we need to do is retool and get a couple more pieces to be back to contenders. Classic TFC move.

leedsandTFC
07-31-2023, 12:35 PM
This for sure but also knowing our management, if we had some late season push after being officially eliminated from the playoffs I could see Bill getting up there and giving a speach about how Terry turned the young guys around and all we need to do is retool and get a couple more pieces to be back to contenders. Classic TFC move.

pray he doesn't.

but also i think the current situation is so obviously terrible that there's internal acknowledgment that a full, years long rebuild is needed.

not trying to sign a bunch more players in one season and go from last place to first in one season.

Ultra & Proud
07-31-2023, 01:20 PM
but also i think the current situation is so obviously terrible that there's internal acknowledgment that a full, years long rebuild is needed.

not trying to sign a bunch more players in one season and go from last place to first in one season.
I think the same but this is Bill we're talking about and I know he has an internal pressure boiling over to try to think of what speal he'll have to lay out at our post mortum in early October to salvage renewals.

I think if he even got the slightest glimmer of light in these last 10 matches he would switch 100% to retooling. Unless of course he has been stripped of all power over our direction and in that case I think Hernandez understands what needs to be done.

jloome
07-31-2023, 01:47 PM
I think if he even got the slightest glimmer of light in these last 10 matches he would switch 100% to retooling. Unless of course he has been stripped of all power over our direction and in that case I think Hernandez understands what needs to be done.

He hasn't been stripped of it, as far as I can tell, but he isn't handling the rebuild, Hernandez is.

His position has basically stayed the same: I'm not a sports builder, I'm the business guy. He's not going to change that, which at least concedes a degree of humility. Equally, whether he's already gone yet and just doesn't know it or fighting to stay in the job, he DOES know this is the last kick of the can.

So he's either third time lucky, or he's fired.

I know he's involved in the manager hunt. I suspect he would have loved to have Terry win a few games and promote from within, but they're being quite serious about having someone in as the priority, even before signing players. That's why I don't expect to see much, if anything, in the next two days. Could be wrong, but it would be a surprise.

I mean... I don't want to rush it but to me it's disappointing, because we're not technically dead yet. There are still 30 points available this season and it IS possible for a team like Chicago to go on a prolonged slump. I would've like to see a striker this year, but...

Ultra & Proud
07-31-2023, 02:17 PM
I mean... I don't want to rush it but to me it's disappointing, because we're not technically dead yet. There are still 30 points available this season and it IS possible for a team like Chicago to go on a prolonged slump. I would've like to see a striker this year, but...

Technically yes, 30 points left on the table but even being hammered drunk on the TFC optimism Kool Aid you would have to think the max we could realistically obtain would be between 8 and 12 and that's being really optimistic at this point.

jloome
07-31-2023, 02:38 PM
Technically yes, 30 points left on the table but even being hammered drunk on the TFC optimism Kool Aid you would have to think the max we could realistically obtain would be between 8 and 12 and that's being really optimistic at this point.

Oh yeah, I mean, it would take a complete collapse by a couple of clubs. But at least it would make a race out of it, give us a reason to be disappointed in the last few weeks other than next year's prospects.

OgtheDim
07-31-2023, 04:48 PM
Dunfield isn't good enough to be a lead coach of anything right now. He needs to be an assistant to a good manager who actually coaches fundamentals.
Until he understands what fundamentals are...... he's not a head coach of even 8 year olds m

ManUtd4ever
07-31-2023, 08:10 PM
He hasn't been stripped of it, as far as I can tell, but he isn't handling the rebuild, Hernandez is.

His position has basically stayed the same: I'm not a sports builder, I'm the business guy. He's not going to change that, which at least concedes a degree of humility. Equally, whether he's already gone yet and just doesn't know it or fighting to stay in the job, he DOES know this is the last kick of the can.

So he's either third time lucky, or he's fired.

I know he's involved in the manager hunt. I suspect he would have loved to have Terry win a few games and promote from within, but they're being quite serious about having someone in as the priority, even before signing players. That's why I don't expect to see much, if anything, in the next two days. Could be wrong, but it would be a surprise.

Manning's recent success with the Argos has probably given him a lifeline with MLSE. I'm just hoping that he will be alleviated of his duties with TFC.