PDA

View Full Version : Match Day 13 - NYRB @ TFC Wed Masy 17 7:39pm - Tryn' to get up that great big hill

OgtheDim
05-14-2023, 07:21 PM
Of Hope for a destination

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXNfVj4g-iQ&ab_channel=Maverick51

Have at It People

Ultra & Proud
05-14-2023, 08:28 PM
Gonna be U G L Y at BMO.

Mr. Inbetween
05-14-2023, 09:20 PM
I think this could, so far, end up being the most existentially important TFC match that I will have attended.

Mr. Inbetween
05-15-2023, 04:12 AM
https://twitter.com/idiffidatiTFC/status/1658038107885776896

SenorDingDong
05-15-2023, 06:40 AM
I think this could, so far, end up being the most existentially important TFC match that I will have attended.

Team is at absolute rock bottom now. Bottom of the table, fighting with our own fans, brawls after the match, red card and earliest cup exit in history...m

Only one way to go.. but they need to go back to the basics.

Play a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1.

OgtheDim
05-15-2023, 07:13 AM
If we go with that 3 at the top....with the RB press...we are going to die quickly.

nick.mastro
05-15-2023, 07:23 AM
Team is at absolute rock bottom now. Bottom of the table, fighting with our own fans, brawls after the match, red card and earliest cup exit in history...m

Play a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1.

It is so ridiculous why he still won’t try this.
4-4-2. Basic soccer. Give it a try. If he comes out with a 4-3-3 he is a lunatic

Canary10
05-15-2023, 08:13 AM

Play a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1.

I don't know about that. I think we have short memories at how bad it's been in the past. At least it's not Jeff Cunningham with a touch of Soolsma we're relying on. I have a lot more trust in Berna and Insigne to lead the turn around!!

Ultra & Proud
05-15-2023, 08:18 AM
I don't know about that. I think we have short memories at how bad it's been in the past. At least it's not Jeff Cunningham with a touch of Soolsma we're relying on. I have a lot more trust in Berna and Insigne to lead the turn around!!
We created more chances regularly in both of those eras though.

Canary10
05-15-2023, 08:27 AM
We created more chances regularly in both of those eras though.

What was the xG?

MikeForbes
05-15-2023, 08:34 AM
The Red Bulls are always a nightmare matchup for us.

Ultra & Proud
05-15-2023, 08:46 AM
What was the xG?
No idea but I know Kovermans had 10 goals in the Soolsma year and Cunningham blew more sitters per match than we get shots on goal in a month.

Canary10
05-15-2023, 08:50 AM
No idea but I know Kovermans had 10 goals in the Soolsma year and Cunningham blew more sitters per match than we get shots on goal in a month.

Ha ha so true.

SenorDingDong
05-15-2023, 09:50 AM
It is so ridiculous why he still won’t try this.
4-4-2. Basic soccer. Give it a try. If he comes out with a 4-3-3 he is a lunatic

I'd bet money he is going to roll out the 4-3-3....

I have no idea who is going to be even available but something like the following.

Sapong - Berna
Insigne - MAK - Servania - Richie
Petretta? - Mabika - Someone - Franklin?

Ultra & Proud
05-15-2023, 10:05 AM
I'd bet money he is going to roll out the 4-3-3....

You are totally right. No way he changes anything.

He will do the same thing and fail.

jloome
05-15-2023, 10:31 AM
You are totally right. No way he changes anything.

He will do the same thing and fail.

I'm not sold that's the case. I think the 342/523 this week was taking a game they assumed we'd lose, based on missing personnel, and using it to try something new when the cost was already accounted for.

My little bird at TFC seemed fairly unequivocal about the fact that they know the tactical approach isn't working. They told me that right BEFORE he tried the 343, on Friday night. So they're not oblivious.

Whether the required humility exists to re-tool on more familiar tactical ground remains to be seen. But they're not unaware of the situation, they get that it's round pegs and square holes right now, that the mix of players, tactics and direction isn't working.

In the course of many years as a writer, it's been my experience that only the most cynical of politicians makes unequivocal statements knowing they're total bullshit, and that's because they only care that you like them until the election cycle is over.

Others worry about their words hanging them later.

Kamp Berg
05-15-2023, 11:00 AM
I'm not sold that's the case. I think the 342/523 this week was taking a game they assumed we'd lose, based on missing personnel, and using it to try something new when the cost was already accounted for.

My little bird at TFC seemed fairly unequivocal about the fact that they know the tactical approach isn't working. They told me that right BEFORE he tried the 343, on Friday night. So they're not oblivious.

Whether the required humility exists to re-tool on more familiar tactical ground remains to be seen. But they're not unaware of the situation, they get that it's round pegs and square holes right now, that the mix of players, tactics and direction isn't working.

In the course of many years as a writer, it's been my experience that only the most cynical of politicians makes unequivocal statements knowing they're total bullshit, and that's because they only care that you like them until the election cycle is over.

Others worry about their words hanging them later.

Well, NYRB is a perfect test of that concept. The last time I remember a suitable game plan against them was under Vanney in 2017, I think.

Ultra & Proud
05-15-2023, 11:15 AM
The real betting line on this match shouldn't be win or goals. Should be shots.

How many shots on target do we think we'll be getting? NYRB are a pretty bad team so I will inflate our output, maybe 4?

Fort York Redcoat
05-15-2023, 11:17 AM
Yankees in town. Anybody at BMO should have plenty of room to move.

Red CB Toronto
05-15-2023, 12:37 PM
Fully expect Guti to be in the lineup Wednesday. Had a solid 45 minute runout in the first half for TFC II last night. It is great to see, as he has pretty much been sidelined since arriving in Toronto due to illness that saw him loose a bunch of weight. Last night was a positive. Looking forward to seeing him in action.

SenorDingDong
05-15-2023, 12:43 PM
Fully expect Guti to be in the lineup Wednesday. Had a solid 45 minute runout in the first half for TFC II last night. It is great to see, as he has pretty much been sidelined since arriving in Toronto due to illness that saw him loose a bunch of weight. Last night was a positive. Looking forward to seeing him in action.

If he, Franklin and Petretta are available I would move Richie to midfield on the right.

ensco
05-15-2023, 01:58 PM
He is not allowed to be called "Guti" until he scores 100 goals for Real Madrid. Sorry.

Mr. Inbetween
05-15-2023, 02:05 PM
If he, Franklin and Petretta are available I would move Richie to midfield on the right.

Does anyone have any update regarding Petretta?

Prof
05-15-2023, 02:51 PM

Play a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1.

As a long time player and coach you have to make adjustments to your strengths as many here have been saying. So, to date are strengths have been Johnson in goal, Hedges, Laryea and Petretta. Everyone else has been playing below their abilities for various reasons; injuries, playing out of position and the biggest reason is coaches formation. We DO NOT have the players to play a 4-3-3. What I believe we need to play in order to give our team a chance to win and not have the players lose any more confidence is to go to a 4-3-2-1. The Italians do little pressing and don't like to track back. I'm not sure who we have available for Wednesday, but if all are here, this is how I would set it up.
Johnson
Laryea Hedges Rosted Petretta
Servania Kaye Coello
Bernadeschi Insignia
Sappong

Mr. Inbetween
05-15-2023, 03:25 PM
^
Done this myself, so I know… one player too many?! :)

Joe Kool
05-15-2023, 03:41 PM
^
Done this myself, so I know… one player too many?! :)

But that was the advantage of that system....

Mr. Inbetween
05-15-2023, 03:51 PM
But that was the advantage of that system....

AKA, The Bayern Munich Special! :facepalm:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/soccer/news/bayern-munich-12-players-pitch-substitution-mixup-4-1-win-freiburg/iusly9fulfcmj82vdyzl3ouc

jloome
05-15-2023, 04:00 PM
Craig Forrest on Footy Prime saying the Italians have tuned Bob out and Insigne's heart clearly isn't in it. Points to him pulling out of a challenge at the start of the first goal sequence, a few other bits. Says both Italians have tuned out Bob.

The whole episode this week at least confirms we're not crazy. It's pretty much just a litany of bad choices.

Mr. Inbetween
05-15-2023, 04:17 PM
Maybe. Certainly no one on TFC has yet learned to ‘embrace the suck’. Still, IIRC, it was Lollo from a pass by Richie, that made that through ball to CJ at the 5min mark that should have been a red card and penalty kick; game changer.

OgtheDim
05-15-2023, 04:25 PM
Craig Forrest on Footy Prime saying the Italians have tuned Bob out and Insigne's heart clearly isn't in it.....

Yeh, the guy who basically badgered & bullied Montreal into taking off their RB after he had flattened one of our kids clearly has no heart for this team.....

(sorry, but that whole podcast sounds like a 4th division Roy Keane hour - they have seriously leaned into "back in my day" land)

ag futbol
05-15-2023, 04:56 PM
Yeh, the guy who basically badgered & bullied Montreal into taking off their RB after he had flattened one of our kids clearly has no heart for this team.....

Or they might have taken him off because he was on a yellow and that’s normally a thing you do …

jloome
05-15-2023, 06:40 PM
Tough game. Red Bull are rebounding after getting rid of Struber. If they disliked him as much as the players at Barnsley, they'll have about a five-game manager bounce.

OgtheDim
05-15-2023, 08:43 PM
Or they might have taken him off because he was on a yellow and that’s normally a thing you do …

After that hit out of the ground, Insigne was relentless in badgering him - and niggling whenever he could.

He's tuned in & pardon me if I don't really trust the opinions of a bunch of prematurely old 90's & 00's players opinions on this.

Gen X men generally know nothing about millenials - I should know - Father's day is next month. :)

CBTFC
05-16-2023, 05:55 AM
Thankfully for us, the rest of the Eastern Conference is pretty mediocre as well.

A win could have us jump up several spots in the standings.

I'll be there tomorrow night to enjoy the Basement Dwellers Cup

Mr. Inbetween
05-16-2023, 06:33 AM
Wow! The irony of luck?

https://twitter.com/SorareUsa/status/1658431907703713792

ensco
05-16-2023, 07:28 AM
Wish we were getting tonight's weather tomorrow.

SenorDingDong
05-16-2023, 10:21 AM
Gong show of injuries and suspensions. MLS chaos factor going to get cranked up?

My lineups if I am Bob.

Option A:
https://i.ibb.co/X44wCdB/Option1.png

Option B:

https://i.ibb.co/gPNMvc3/Option2.png

ag futbol
05-16-2023, 10:44 AM
Gong show of injuries and suspensions. MLS chaos factor going to get cranked up?

My lineups if I am Bob.

Option A:
https://i.ibb.co/X44wCdB/Option1.png

Option B:

https://i.ibb.co/gPNMvc3/Option2.png
Watching Gil on NE this weekend carving teams apart. I appreciate Insigne has been a left sided player for a lot of his career but I feel like in this league if your best guy is central it leaves you more options to get him the ball. Also brings him closer to Bernie too.

Front three of Laryea—Sapong—Berna. LI plays in behind as the AM and two guys behind them are stritctly defensive (or maybe slightly box-to-box).

SenorDingDong
05-16-2023, 10:49 AM
Watching Gil on NE this weekend carving teams apart. I appreciate Insigne has been a left sided player for a lot of his career but I feel like in this league if your best guy is central it leaves you more options to get him the ball. Also brings him closer to Bernie too.

Front three of Laryea—Sapong—Berna. LI plays in behind as the AM and two guys behind them are stritctly defensive (or maybe slightly box-to-box).

I don't disagree. I'm all for playing Insigne as a CF like Seba was. Also open to having Richie play higher now that we have Guti as he is excellent at making runs and passes.

ag futbol
05-16-2023, 10:57 AM
I don't disagree. I'm all for playing Insigne as a CF like Seba was. Also open to having Richie play higher now that we have Guti as he is excellent at making runs and passes.
The more I think about it, the more I believe we should abandon the 4-3-3. Which is sort of outrageous when you think about the total roster rebuild we did and how it he players we have still don’t fit it as well as they should.

ag futbol
05-16-2023, 11:26 AM
https://twitter.com/MichaelSingh94/status/1658507412888748040
Well this makes it interesting…

It’s a battle of the 2nd stringers plus the unmotivated / underperforming for the crown of 2nd last place.

We should win? Who would have thought.

JoesphNdo
05-16-2023, 11:35 AM
Well it's as close to a dream fixture as you can get considering our situation, at the very least we should see two DPs and a team who are going hell for leather to turn the season around against weak opposition. If we don't see people running through walls tomorrow with a managers job possibly on the line and weak opposition then there's no way the players haven't given up on Bob.

Red CB Toronto
05-16-2023, 11:52 AM
two injury riddled teams for tomorrow night, this match could be a mess, guess it will come down to who figured things out the quickest. Also fully expect a TFC II short term signing or two to fill out the bench.

jloome
05-16-2023, 12:07 PM

I think whatever we use we need Insigne and Fede close to each other, to take advantage of their shared ability to see stuff more quickly than their teammates.

One of these two, most likely the 442 as they'll be in a 4222 Gegenpress and we can get behind them quickly if we avoid their narrow middle block.

https://i.imgur.com/dy3w6N5.png

https://i.imgur.com/xdmkHmI.jpg

Either way, we get Insigne and Benardeschi next to each other. I suspect the 442 would work better, as NYRB basically cede the wings once you've beaten the high press.

We really should be looking to play high to the wings as often as possible, but particularly the long diagonal switch, as 4222 gpress has trouble defending it.

https://imgur.com/a/y0JN4TW
https://www.buildlineup.com/shared/6463b864ed22e5014d8a5ff6

jloome
05-16-2023, 12:44 PM
Well it's as close to a dream fixture as you can get considering our situation, at the very least we should see two DPs and a team who are going hell for leather to turn the season around against weak opposition. If we don't see people running through walls tomorrow with a managers job possibly on the line and weak opposition then there's no way the players haven't given up on Bob.

We're missing 10 players. They're missing 12, but more of our are regular starters. It'll be ugly either way.

JoesphNdo
05-16-2023, 12:52 PM
We're missing 10 players. They're missing 12, but more of our are regular starters. It'll be ugly either way.

For sure not expecting a win, and the game will be dog shit as a spectacle, but the TFC players should be up for this. Their managers job is possibly on the line, and bad as we are, home to an injury ridden second worst team in the east so far should motivate them to try make a statement and they should have belief that this is a possible win despite the circumstances. I don't expect a win, but we'll know tomorrow whether the players are playing for Bradley or not. The performance of the two DPs will be very telling.

leedsandTFC
05-16-2023, 12:56 PM
if TFC don't come out fighting tomorrow think it's fair to say the manager has lost the dressing room.

huge game, even with the injuries we have, NYRB seem more depleted and we're at home.

Ultra & Proud
05-16-2023, 12:59 PM
we'll know tomorrow whether the players are playing for Bradley or not. The performance of the two DPs will be very telling.

The most interesting thing about this match.

By tomorrow night we'll know 100% how Bob is viewed by the players at least and if there's any hope for him at all going forward. Probably be a draw.

leedsandTFC
05-16-2023, 01:00 PM
echoing what others have said, but we need to keep insigne and/ or bernardeschi further forward.

way too often they are picking the ball up 60 yards from goal, and already double teamed.

Ultra & Proud
05-16-2023, 01:05 PM
echoing what others have said, but we need to keep insigne and/ or bernardeschi further forward.

way too often they are picking the ball up 60 yards from goal, and already double teamed.
Problem with them being further forward is that our system makes it nearly impossible for anyone to get them the ball unless they drop back to get it.

leedsandTFC
05-16-2023, 01:06 PM
Problem with them being further forward is that our system makes it nearly impossible for anyone to get them the ball unless they drop back to get it.

it's true, we're really missing midfielders who can progress the ball right now with oso, bradley, vazquez and coello out.

le sigh. i still think a 4-4-2 with insigne up front with sapong is the way to go though. petretta LM.

jloome
05-16-2023, 01:28 PM
it's true, we're really missing midfielders who can progress the ball right now with oso, bradley, vazquez and coello out.

le sigh. i still think a 4-4-2 with insigne up front with sapong is the way to go though. petretta LM.

I know he played there when younger but his shooting is sort of dogshit and he's too small to bang around an MLS box with no one to feed him from the hole.

Bernardeschi has nearly 50 games' experience working from the left, and his scoring rate is 30% better as a second striker than as a winger.

leedsandTFC
05-16-2023, 01:36 PM
I know he played there when younger but his shooting is sort of dogshit and he's too small to bang around an MLS box with no one to feed him from the hole.

Bernardeschi has nearly 50 games' experience working from the left, and his scoring rate is 30% better as a second striker than as a winger.

fair, that could work too. just need to get them both in better spots, not 60-70 yards from goal.

SenorDingDong
05-16-2023, 02:48 PM

I'm fine with either or just TRY something.

OgtheDim
05-16-2023, 02:51 PM
https://twitter.com/MLS_PR/status/1658557364327403528

Will see if Steve Cangislosi can stay neutral about NYRB

REF: Guido Gonzales Jr
AR1: Chris Elliott
AR2: Diego Blas
4TH: Filip Dujic
VAR: Sorin Stoica
AVAR: Joshua Patlak

We've had this guy before

https://proreferees.com/roster/referees/guido-gonzales-jr/

Red CB Toronto
05-16-2023, 03:03 PM
And Wheels does a home town feed too, right?

https://twitter.com/MLS_PR/status/1658557364327403528

Will see if Steve Cangislosi can stay neutral about NYRB

REF: Guido Gonzales Jr
AR1: Chris Elliott
AR2: Diego Blas
4TH: Filip Dujic
VAR: Sorin Stoica
AVAR: Joshua Patlak

We've had this guy before

https://proreferees.com/roster/referees/guido-gonzales-jr/

SenorDingDong
05-17-2023, 08:44 AM
Based on Instagram looks like Petretta is back tonight.

Fede also with a nice video of it being Pride night and hopes everyone comes to support. He kind of looked sad in his eyes though.

Kiwi10
05-17-2023, 09:59 AM
Hope for the best, expect the worst.

This could be ugly. My guess is with both teams missing so many players NYRB could still steamroll us.

Their team has an identity - all these call ups should be slotting into a system they already know. We get more unhinged and uncoordinated the less starters we have. They will still be on the same page.

Unless the Italians take over based on skill-gap, this will expose our lack of (effective) tactical identity throughout the organization.

ag futbol
05-17-2023, 10:12 AM
Hope for the best, expect the worst.

This could be ugly. My guess is with both teams missing so many players NYRB could still steamroll us.

Their team has an identity - all these call ups should be slotting into a system they already know. We get more unhinged and uncoordinated the less starters we have. They will still be on the same page.

Unless the Italians take over based on skill-gap, this will expose our lack of (effective) tactical identity throughout the organization.
If this TFC team has anything, and I mean anything, left to show we should win tonight. The fact we have our DP’s playing and they won’t plus they will be missing ~9 starters in total.

Our quality here should carry the day. I shuttler to think what that means if it doesn’t.

Prime Giovinco wins this game by himself.

reggie
05-17-2023, 10:54 AM
i want bb and bm gone.more so bill,but at some point the italians have to win them a game

jloome
05-17-2023, 11:22 AM
Based on Instagram looks like Petretta is back tonight.

Fede also with a nice video of it being Pride night and hopes everyone comes to support. He kind of looked sad in his eyes though.

Rosted and Hedges are back imminently, I'm told. Might not be this game, but possibly by the weekend we'll see one or both.

SenorDingDong
05-17-2023, 11:37 AM
If this TFC team has anything, and I mean anything, left to show we should win tonight. The fact we have our DP’s playing and they won’t plus they will be missing ~9 starters in total.

Our quality here should carry the day. I shuttler to think what that means if it doesn’t.

Prime Giovinco wins this game by himself.

Richie as well.

I am debating watching this train wreck of a game, think deciding factor will be what lineup / formation is rolled out. If I see same old 4-3-3 then I'm out.

Fort York Redcoat
05-17-2023, 11:44 AM
To the Battle of the Basement!

Kamp Berg
05-17-2023, 11:47 AM
Rosted and Hedges are back imminently, I'm told. Might not be this game, but possibly by the weekend we'll see one or both.

That would be some really good news, Hedges is sorely missed. His return could be the deciding factor in the game.

Hala Hrvatska
05-17-2023, 12:19 PM
oh well hoping for the best...if there ever was a must win....its tonight.

Another loss or draw...well, I prefer to not even think about it....

Mr. Inbetween
05-17-2023, 12:23 PM
I think whatever we use we need Insigne and Fede close to each other…

https://i.imgur.com/xdmkHmI.jpg

:iagree: … or even some Hybrid, Double Pivot, Total-ish Football, maybe with RL@LW, LI@AM and FB@RW?

SenorDingDong
05-17-2023, 12:39 PM
:iagree: … or even some Hybrid, Double Pivot, Total-ish Football, maybe with RL@LW, LI@AM and FB@RW?

I don't know who Antognolu is but other then that, yes please to this lineup.

Amir.
05-17-2023, 12:57 PM
with the three other cb's still out it seems more likely that it will be the same formation as last game with petretta in for rutty

Fort York Redcoat
05-17-2023, 01:22 PM

Ahhh memories of the Winter of our discontent and chants of TO TAL FOOT BALL.

MikeForbes
05-17-2023, 01:55 PM
Going with an extremely ugly 1-1 draw.

OgtheDim
05-17-2023, 02:21 PM
To the Battle of the Basement!

Excellent...party on dudes.

Missing the pride game - DAMN :grouphug:

Gotta get the pride warm up jersey tonight for this one...

ensco
05-17-2023, 02:31 PM
I think we blast them 4-0. Just based on strength of lineup up top.

MikeForbes
05-17-2023, 02:38 PM
Honestly just excited that Wednesday night games are back. My days off are Thursday and Friday, so this means I can consume extra vodka and overreact.

ensco
05-17-2023, 03:34 PM
or even some Hybrid, Double Pivot, Total-ish Football, maybe with RL@LW, LI@AM and FB@RW?

This is my bet.

noxx98
05-17-2023, 03:45 PM
NYRB has only conceded more than one goal once this season (2 vs MTL). Might be a low scoring affair tonight (unless NYRB bags 4...)

Joe Kool
05-17-2023, 03:45 PM
Honestly just excited that Wednesday night games are back. My days off are Thursday and Friday, so this means I can consume extra vodka and overreact.

Leave the megaphone at home...

OgtheDim
05-17-2023, 04:37 PM

That might end up being a meme around here.....

Mr. Inbetween
05-17-2023, 04:58 PM
This is my bet.

:)

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/blob:http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/eb58ed5a-ee3b-4a03-8c2d-1dca5528c308

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/blob:http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/e6355cc0-8e4f-4512-9be6-6a9f8ff83d8c
http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/blob:http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/579a8092-4f46-4da1-af02-5240f419ab5a
http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/blob:http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/8958dff5-4346-4055-9c79-48142e61d57f

MikeForbes
05-17-2023, 05:01 PM

Gonna need a rocket arm to throw it at MAK from Nova Scotia!

noxx98
05-17-2023, 05:45 PM
https://twitter.com/TorontoFC/status/1658967626721243139
Well this is something. I put $4 on over 3.5 goals total in this game...

noxx98
05-17-2023, 05:46 PM
Let me know if there's anything you'd like me to yell at Bob on your behalf tonight

MikeForbes
05-17-2023, 05:46 PM
https://twitter.com/TorontoFC/status/1658967626721243139
Well this is something. I put $4 on over 3.5 goals total in this game...

Richie and Mabivarro, the greatest CB pairing in TFC history.

OgtheDim
05-17-2023, 05:48 PM
For those not happy with MAK in the midfield, you got your wish.....

A midfield of

Franklin
Servania
Thompson
Kerr

Who'd a thunk it...

3-4-3 vs RB press - this could either work really well or they are going to kill us.

Amir.
05-17-2023, 05:50 PM
kaye also out which might be a good thing

SenorDingDong
05-17-2023, 05:55 PM
kaye also out which might be a good thing

Why is Kaye out?

Richie at CB is such a waste. Should be swapped with Franklin.

stevep
05-17-2023, 05:56 PM
Ticketmaster
Tickets $10 each. $20 for the pair
I don’t know if it’s even worth that amount
I’ll pass

MikeForbes
I am not MAK's biggest fan, but him the Servania as the two CMs was our best hope.

MikeForbes
Let me know if there's anything you'd like me to yell at Bob on your behalf tonight

Let him know we only respect bald men with beards.

SenorDingDong
05-17-2023, 05:57 PM
I am not MAK's biggest fan, but him the Servania as the two CMs was our best hope.

Yea that midfield is... well. It's 4 bodies....

jloome
05-17-2023, 06:02 PM
Richie and Mabivarro, the greatest CB pairing in TFC history.

Jesus Stepdancing Christ that's a makeshift lineup.

We'll be lucky if this isn't a mauling.

stevep
05-17-2023, 06:11 PM
Jesus Stepdancing Christ that's a makeshift lineup.

We'll be lucky if this isn't a mauling.

The disdain for the paying fan is unreal
Now that I have no season seats I kind of find it fascinating. These mlse people are total sociopaths

Richard
05-17-2023, 06:15 PM
If you like to bet some money I would put some on both teams scoring.

This should in theory be a shootout of a match, but we've looked so inept on offense who knows. :noidea:

JonO
05-17-2023, 06:19 PM
I think the 600 or so people at the stadium will be disappointed. Been a long time since I have seen BMO this empty. Maybe it will fill in a bit…🤷🏻*♂️

SenorDingDong
05-17-2023, 06:22 PM
I think the 600 or so people at the stadium will be disappointed. Been a long time since I have seen BMO this empty. Maybe it will fill in a bit…🤷🏻*♂️

Poor Raoul in the warmup was looking around like where is everybody.

jloome
05-17-2023, 06:22 PM
If you like to bet some money I would put some on both teams scoring.

This should in theory be a shootout of a match, but we've looked so inept on offense who knows. :noidea:

If we can keep the ball wide and high, they'll have trouble. We're set up well to counter, and we know they'll clog up the middle of the field and press high.

JoesphNdo
05-17-2023, 06:35 PM
So much for the anti bob Bradley sentiment being exclusive to the hardcore online with match going fans not believing it. That booing was pretty loud

OgtheDim
05-17-2023, 06:36 PM
WTF why are we letting THEM wear all red?!

FiveThreeTwo
05-17-2023, 06:40 PM
Love to see the salary discrepencies between the players of that starting 11 tonight lol.

MikeForbes
05-17-2023, 06:42 PM
Gonna either score 5 tonight or get countered to death and allow 5.

MikeForbes
05-17-2023, 06:44 PM
Both of those guys should be taken off for 10 minutes.

OgtheDim
05-17-2023, 06:47 PM
Kids are going to make some mistakes tonight.

Could do with less mistakes from Insigne.

FiveThreeTwo
05-17-2023, 06:48 PM
WTF why are we letting THEM wear all red?!

This is been one of my personal sticklers/pet peeves this season and last too. Why did we become so soft when it came to the colour red in our kits? We were the first to have full red if i'm not mistaken, apart from dallas' hoop kit. Our name are 'the reds' ffs, and were the first to carve out that distinct colour association and identity. So why did they let St. Louis take the full red kits, and other teams have 3rd red kits while we have to passively go trotting out mediocre whites every time? So lame, and weak

MikeForbes
05-17-2023, 06:53 PM
We need to win this. Insigne and Bernie in theory should be enough to beat Red Bull II.

SenorDingDong
05-17-2023, 06:56 PM
We need to win this. Insigne and Bernie in theory should be enough to beat Red Bull II.

Insigne has seen a lot of the ball. More then most nights

MikeForbes
05-17-2023, 07:01 PM
Insigne has seen a lot of the ball. More then most nights

Insigne has actually been better than Bernie in the games he has played.

SenorDingDong
05-17-2023, 07:03 PM
Insigne has actually been better than Bernie in the games he has played.

Funny I was just thinking that. Berna can't beat anyone 1on1 anymore and tends to slow the play down too much.

rydermike
05-17-2023, 07:05 PM
How does Bernie not score there

SenorDingDong
05-17-2023, 07:06 PM
We should have 2-3 goals easy now.. which means Red Bull goal coming shortly.

MikeForbes
05-17-2023, 07:10 PM
The dude who wrote Lord of the Rings has been the best player on either team.

MikeForbes
05-17-2023, 07:14 PM
This is such an ugly game.

MikeForbes
05-17-2023, 07:15 PM
You take a player off after two concussion scares.

Gringo Starr
05-17-2023, 07:17 PM
This is been one of my personal sticklers/pet peeves this season and last too. Why did we become so soft when it came to the colour red in our kits? We were the first to have full red if i'm not mistaken, apart from dallas' hoop kit. Our name are 'the reds' ffs, and were the first to carve out that distinct colour association and identity. So why did they let St. Louis take the full red kits, and other teams have 3rd red kits while we have to passively go trotting out mediocre whites every time? So lame, and weak
They are really pushing the customize your own community kit thing with the white jersey in stadium- I think tonight is the last game of it

SenorDingDong
05-17-2023, 07:19 PM
Insigne is all over tonight. Defense, offense. Running the whole left side.

MikeForbes
05-17-2023, 07:21 PM
Petretta making more than Kai Wagner is actually criminal.

rydermike
05-17-2023, 07:23 PM
At least we're winning 0.61-0. 3on xgoals

SenorDingDong
05-17-2023, 07:24 PM
And have more then 2 shots...

Amir.
05-17-2023, 07:25 PM
draw at the break and the question is the same as in the weekend: will bradley time be won or lost?

rydermike
05-17-2023, 07:25 PM
My prediction. We beatthe depleted red bulls 1-0 on a penalty. Allows the team to extend the status quo because they won a game against a bottom of the table team

SenorDingDong
05-17-2023, 07:27 PM
Richie doing awesome at CB.. he's so good.

Richard
05-17-2023, 07:29 PM

Understatement.

Two teams that cant keep the ball and continuously turn it over because someone sneezes in their direction.

jloome
05-17-2023, 07:30 PM
I think they’re all working really hard tonight. Like, it’s not pretty, but they’re busting ass. They don’t look tentative at all.

It’s a major change in the whole body language of the team.

Having said that they need a goal or two, because this much work and no points would crush morale.

red-o
05-17-2023, 07:33 PM
Richie doing awesome at CB.. he's so good.
Agreed but miss him going forward

noxx98
05-17-2023, 07:34 PM
At least you have your vodka

JoesphNdo
05-17-2023, 07:34 PM
I think they’re all working really hard tonight. Like, it’s not pretty, but they’re busting ass. They don’t look tentative at all.

It’s a major change in the whole body language of the team.

Having said that they need a goal or two, because this much work and no points would crush morale.

Yeah agree with this. At the very very least they seem motivated and care that the managers job is possibly on the line. It's not much but it's something. A loss would be very demoralizing here, I hope if we concede they don't just fall apart

OgtheDim
05-17-2023, 07:37 PM
That game was a lot of ugh.

Our 2 DP's one on one vs. the keeper & in the box free.....don't score.

You could just hear those guys we all sit behind us in the stadium all moan under the breathes - "Seba woulda scored that..."

barticusz
05-17-2023, 07:41 PM
Does anyone... anyone on this team know how to score?

SenorDingDong
05-17-2023, 07:42 PM
Ugh Akinola

rydermike
05-17-2023, 07:43 PM
Saved by the bar

SenorDingDong
05-17-2023, 07:45 PM
Best part of this match is Kosi's short shorts

MikeForbes
05-17-2023, 07:46 PM
At least you have your vodka

Not even a bottle of Goose would make this look good.

rydermike
05-17-2023, 07:50 PM
Sean Johnson making average shots look routine is such a relief

barticusz
05-17-2023, 07:51 PM
This team is completely lost. No one cares. I never thought we could be as bad as we were in those early years.. but litterally.. this is soooo bad. My Tier 3 U11 son's match is more entertaining.

barticusz
05-17-2023, 07:54 PM
Is Insigne our worst ever DP? I can't watch this guy.

rydermike
05-17-2023, 07:57 PM
I say let's sub on Curic at CB so we can let Laryea try to terrorize the wings for the rest of the night.

portu
05-17-2023, 07:59 PM
How players and money like this can be wasted: a case study by Bill and Bob

MikeForbes
05-17-2023, 08:04 PM
Ayo (outside of a Poz fueled pandemic tournament) is just a poor man's Mullinho.

rydermike
05-17-2023, 08:05 PM
Ayo (outside of a Poz fueled pandemic tournament) is just a poor man's Mullinho.
Paid like a rich mans Mullinho though

SenorDingDong
05-17-2023, 08:05 PM
This game ends 0-0 or 1-0 NY on a late winner. We've wasted far too many chances

MikeForbes
05-17-2023, 08:07 PM
Mabisacker could be a piece here long term. Him and Hedges is something I wanna see.

SenorDingDong
05-17-2023, 08:07 PM
Mabisacker could be a piece here long term. Him and Hedges is something I wanna see.

Franklin has looked excellent tonight as well

OgtheDim
05-17-2023, 08:12 PM
We have the ball with a free kick 10 yards from the half & the ball ends up back with Johnson to do a hopeful long kick out.

SenorDingDong
05-17-2023, 08:13 PM
Berna should be moved to CF. Every play out to him on the wing goes to die.

rydermike
05-17-2023, 08:17 PM
Let's give Guti a run out. See what he's got to offer after two months of waiting.

MikeForbes
05-17-2023, 08:19 PM
How fitting it would be if the two worst teams in MLS with a combined 24 players missing injured finished a 0-0 draw.

Bushmancan
05-17-2023, 08:24 PM
I guess it would be a complete jerk move to say Junior Hoilett as a TAM would look pretty good right now. LM, RM. Striker. But no one would say that would they.

rydermike
05-17-2023, 08:28 PM
Yay we got a clean sheet. And a point. Could I be any more unenthusiastic.

OgtheDim
05-17-2023, 08:29 PM
Well that was ugly....

Bobo
I hope, for the league's sake, that this is the worst game played anywhere this season. My condolences to anyone who watched this game at BMO this cold evening, especially those who might've underdressed.

OgtheDim
Berna should be moved to CF. Every play out to him on the wing goes to die.

He can't dribble past guys - happens every week. 1 out of 20 works

Amir.
05-17-2023, 08:30 PM
ugly game but great team effort to get a point...austin next shouldnt be a bad matchup as they havent been doing well

MikeForbes
05-17-2023, 08:30 PM
This has been awful.

OgtheDim
05-17-2023, 08:31 PM
This has been awful.

Needed more vodka?

mowe
05-17-2023, 08:31 PM
Things are grim.

MikeForbes
05-17-2023, 08:36 PM
Needed more vodka?

Definitely needed atleast a shot of tequila.

Canary10
05-17-2023, 08:37 PM
We’re gonna draw our way to the top!

ag futbol
05-17-2023, 08:42 PM
I thought it was kind of a fun game despite all the absences (in the second half at least).

- Laryea did a great job filling in at CB. Mabika quite good too. Wonder if he’s a good communicator? Things seem far less frantic with him back there vs some other pairings we’ve seen.
- I thought Themi was quite good (other than that one shot). How is he behind Thomson and some others in the depth chart?
- Strikers continue to be frustrating. Ayo is a write off IMO.

Still need to find a win somewhere though.

Kiwi10
05-17-2023, 08:45 PM
Flipped over to MLS 360 in time to see MacNaughton score his first for Nashville. Glad someone's finally getting a goal.

Amir.
05-17-2023, 09:03 PM
ugly game but great team effort to get a point...austin next shouldnt be a bad matchup as they havent been doing well

Should be noted that it was also with 10+ players missing and having to play laryea at cb...it was truly the best cb duo available so good decision there by bradley

jloome
05-17-2023, 09:09 PM
I thought the team worked hard. We had our chances and didn't take any of them.

That first breakaway is pretty much proof positive that depending on Insigne to be a regular scorer is insane. He could've picked anywhere in the net and he basically hammers it four inches to the keeper's right.

Both DPs have plenty of strengths, areas where they're well above the MLS norm. But neither has game-breaking speed or dribbling skills, so without sufficient interplay, things fall apart quickly. When we started to push Richie up late we started to get somewhere.

I dunno. People can be as upset as they want, but with 12 guys out, I thought that was a decent effort at least.

This team SO needs a game-breaking striker though, a Bouanga or Benteke or the like.

Both DPs are not going to be dependable scorers, but they both served up some great balls today. That Bernie cross to LI at the back post was quite excellent, as was Insigne's line-drive cross to Sapong for the header he put wide.

But so far, neither guy is having the impact as a threat they need to have. Again, it makes sense to me to get them closer on the pitch. Fede did really well playing in the hole and as a second striker at Fiorentina, it was his most productive scoring period. Push Richie up wide etc etc. etc

Oldtimer
05-17-2023, 09:15 PM
That was a game.

James17930
05-17-2023, 09:17 PM
Are we even going to be able to field a squad for the next match?

ag futbol
05-17-2023, 09:19 PM
I thought the team worked hard. We had our chances and didn't take any of them.

That first breakaway is pretty much proof positive that depending on Insigne to be a regular scorer is insane. He could've picked anywhere in the net and he basically hammers it four inches to the keeper's right.

Both DPs have plenty of strengths, areas where they're well above the MLS norm. But neither has game-breaking speed or dribbling skills, so without sufficient interplay, things fall apart quickly. When we started to push Richie up late we started to get somewhere.

I dunno. People can be as upset as they want, but with 12 guys out, I thought that was a decent effort at least.

This team SO needs a game-breaking striker though, a Bouanga or Benteke or the like.

Both DPs are not going to be dependable scorers, but they both served up some great balls today. That Bernie cross to LI at the back post was quite excellent, as was Insigne's line-drive cross to Sapong for the header he put wide.

But so far, neither guy is having the impact as a threat they need to have. Again, it makes sense to me to get them closer on the pitch. Fede did really well playing in the hole and as a second striker at Fiorentina, it was his most productive scoring period. Push Richie up wide etc etc. etc
Isn’t it ironic that we had Defoe, who had no service and didn’t score as much as we would like. Now we have a couple of guys who provide service and our strikers are so bad they can’t even chip in the odd goal.

Make no mistake though, Bob’s attacking framework is as stale as they come. I think we could all write the top 3 things we’ll see from TFC any given game without much thought. Game plan needs to be adjusted more.

JoesphNdo
05-17-2023, 09:20 PM
Weird game. On the one side, they showed fight, which was nice. They haven't given up on the project

On the other...that was a home game against the second (only to us) last team in the east, and while we had alot of injuries, we did have our DPs and first choice striker fit while they were missing just about everyone. Can't be too mad but...I can't help but feel you really need to find a way to win that game. We definitely had, on paper, alot more talent on the field than they did

ensco
05-17-2023, 09:24 PM
I agree with almost every comment here. It was a poorly played game, but then, we all knew it would be. It was cold but, fortunately, not windy. The effort was pretty good. Richie and Mabika looked good (Franklin too, btw). Themi had a couple of nice through balls, felt so bad for him that he whiffed on that good chance. The Italians are on islands.

Did I mention it was cold?

OgtheDim
05-17-2023, 09:31 PM
Are we even going to be able to field a squad for the next match?

Rosted back, apparently.

benito
05-17-2023, 09:32 PM
Not sure how it looked on tv but from my seats in the stadium, it looked like a game that neither team wanted to win. Lots of errant passes and lack of finishing for both teams. NY missed a few good goal chances and tfc had the insigne header that forced a save.

And I agree… it was cold.. again. Damn schedule.

jloome
05-17-2023, 09:34 PM
I agree with almost every comment here. It was a poorly played game, but then, we all knew it would be. It was cold but, fortunately, not windy. The effort was pretty good. Richie and Mabika looked good (Franklin too, btw). Themi had a couple of nice through balls, felt so bad for him that he whiffed on that good chance. The Italians are on islands.

Did I mention it was cold?

Meanwhile, we gave up this dude to get a target striker....

https://www.mlssoccer.com/video/#goal-lukas-macnaughton-nashville-sc-49th-minute

Richard
05-17-2023, 09:42 PM

https://www.mlssoccer.com/video/#goal-lukas-macnaughton-nashville-sc-49th-minute

Pretty good instincts for a centre back.

DinamoTFC
05-17-2023, 09:44 PM
Seems like Bob is the problem and not the players he's shipped away the past two seasons.

Mr. Inbetween
05-17-2023, 10:19 PM
Again, my gut is telling me Richie is going nowhere. He is the definition of an MLSer 3.0…

https://twitter.com/MichaelSingh94/status/1659016082374402052

Mr. Inbetween
05-17-2023, 10:23 PM
Tonight’s interesting surprise? Short Shorts seems to have a more powerful set of turbo jets than Richie.

FiveThreeTwo
05-17-2023, 10:25 PM
One of the funny outcomes with richie at the back was he still had his eye on the pass and playmaking despite sitting deep. Seeing him ping long balls direct to berna and bypassing midfield the odd occasion was kind of a nice and refreshing change-up to the regular slow probing build up movements we are used to.

Game was tied but there was something there that felt a bit different then last run of games. The kids in their need to show themselves started to build some confidence and want to take a run at some plays and movements towards the end - how much of that came down to redbulls sitting deep in a low block in the last part of the game who knows but there was still a bit of a youthful adventerous spark from some of the guys that is at least more entertaining to watch then a bunch of mopey guys failing to connect with each other and getting pissed off until the final whistle. I have no more expectations of the current setup until I see some uniformity and wins, so for me it was just to watch and find positives in the shitstorm lol.

reggie
05-17-2023, 11:13 PM
Tolkin was the lord of the bernie tonight,had him for lunch

los sonadores
05-17-2023, 11:20 PM
Strangely we’re only 3 points out of a playoff position and 5 points from 5th place in the east.

We played with heart and not badly at all with 12 guys missing and four 20 year olds. Clearly the problem at striker needs to be sorted out because neither DP will be effective unless we have a striker who can play at their level.

But otherwise, if we can get considerably healthier, I don’t think our roster is poor at all. We have young guys who can play and plenty of experienced players that can play as well. Without a striker who can play at close to the level of the two wingers I think we’re screwed in the long run. But otherwise, all of this should work, in time… given a few breaks.

SirBobSaget
05-18-2023, 12:02 AM
Strangely we’re only 3 points out of a playoff position and 5 points from 5th place in the east.

We played with heart and not badly at all with 12 guys missing and four 20 year olds. Clearly the problem at striker needs to be sorted out because neither DP will be effective unless we have a striker who can play at their level.

But otherwise, if we can get considerably healthier, I don’t think our roster is poor at all. We have young guys who can play and plenty of experienced players that can play as well. Without a striker who can play at close to the level of the two wingers I think we’re screwed in the long run. But otherwise, all of this should work, in time… given a few breaks.

That last spot playoff spot is a death march where you play way all games. Its pointless. Take from this game that they couldn't beat the worst East team at home when all MLS teams perform much better at home. This should be rock bottom drawing to to worst team in the conference at home and then becoming the last place team

Super
05-18-2023, 12:42 AM
Playing at HOME against a team wearing all red was the ultimate humiliation. Who is running this club? Are they trying to make us hate this club? I've been going to games since day one, season ticket holder since 2007 and went to the miracle of Montreal game, etc, but I'm honestly bothered by the lack of respect for our colours and it is pissing me off. Honestly, WTF? We're the REDS!!! Why is that ignored and disrespected? Unbelievable. Never, EVER play in anything but RED at home again. Let's start there.

los sonadores
05-18-2023, 01:07 AM
That last spot playoff spot is a death march where you play way all games. Its pointless. Take from this game that they couldn't beat the worst East team at home when all MLS teams perform much better at home. This should be rock bottom drawing to to worst team in the conference at home and then becoming the last place team

Rock bottom is 5 points out of 5th place. NYRB have won their last few with their new coach bounce. We had 12 guys out. All in all (and in the context of the last week) we did well and could easily have won.

SenorDingDong
05-18-2023, 05:22 AM

Berna needs to move to CF. He doesn't offer anything on that wing anymore. He can't be anyone 1on1 even rookie MLS defenders.

On the right side the past few games 1 of 3 things happens.

1. He tries to dribble past someone and loses the ball
2. He gets blocked going forward and passes back
3. He basically gets boxed out to touch line and loses ball or kicks off denfder for a throw.

He never crosses in the box. He slows the play down so much after he gets the ballm

Move him to CF and put Richie on the right wing.

PizzaEatingYeti
05-18-2023, 05:57 AM
Somehow I missed to watch this match on some crappy free stream because I'm busy working on a website, and mixed up the days, thinking it was Tuesday night instead of Wednesday. lol... Though I have watched on local TV the Man City-Real match yesterday evening and the Milan derby match 1 day before, so I don't know how this could have happened.

Otherwise for course I would have been watching, waking up in the middle of the night for this here in Europe, even if I was sure it will be a crap match as spectacle.
But I thought TFC will win, just because the ShiteBulls are the same kind of cringe team, and were missing even more important players than TFC.

Now of course I feel happy I have not stayed up for this, going to sleep sometime just after 4:30 AM local, for a shit-show like this (which became the norm lately).

I've just finished reading your comments about the match.
It is just telling on how much we are at the rock bottom, because the overall feeling I got is that folks are feeling happy and satisfied because in this match all the team looks to "put in a good effort", and so things "looked a lot better like in the last 4-5 matches".

Mr. Inbetween
05-18-2023, 06:07 AM
Pretty good instincts for a centre back.

Richie channeling his inner Paolo Maldini!

If someone had suggested to me at the beginning of the season that a TFC CB pairing of MAK and Ritchie could be a consideration, I would have said…

Mr. Inbetween
05-18-2023, 06:09 AM

Did cost ‘The Goblin King’ a sore back.

Edit: A more current- Ted Lasso- reference than say… ‘Kajagoogoo’!

Mr. Inbetween
05-18-2023, 06:15 AM

For now, believe, Aime Mabika ( current status and potential ) > Lucas MacNaughton = Josh Williams.

Canary10
05-18-2023, 06:39 AM
Mabika looks great. One positive out of the last few games. I have a feeling he could become a fan favourite too. By “fan favourite” I mean if I were to get one of our hideous home shirts that’s who I’d get at this point. 😂

Last night called for something special out of our DPs. Unfortunately we’ve gotten nothing from either so far this year. That’s who really needs to step up.

ensco
05-18-2023, 06:56 AM

Interesting use of him tactically. We are so rigid. I cannot ever recall us having Lucas or any CB forward like that while in attack. We only do it on corners.

BB should seriously think about that with Mabika.

You know who will notice that? John Herdman. CMNT do it too, with Vitoria flooding the box.

OgtheDim
05-18-2023, 06:58 AM
Interesting use of him tactically. We are so rigid. I cannot ever recall us having Lucas or any CB forward like that while in attack. We only do it on corners.

You know who will notice that? John Herdman. CMNT do it too, with Vitoria.

It was a freekick that took about 4 recycles to get in to him - nice run though - Miami didn't track him.

ensco
05-18-2023, 07:13 AM
It was a freekick that took about 4 recycles to get in to him - nice run though - Miami didn't track him.

Yes it had a bit of a broken play feel.

My point is - our guys would never do it. MacNaugton has height and, if the MFs know he might do that, they can cover.

Others have the freedom to just play soccer sometimes.

Mr. Inbetween
05-18-2023, 08:00 AM
FWIW…

https://twitter.com/mclachbot/status/1659069699500433408

ronzilla
05-18-2023, 08:09 AM
Not a bad performance.

Franklin played much better than his usual self.

Mabika displayed a lot of confidence at the back.

Insigne was excellent, with some great passes.

Fede looking better.

The team is in a rut and will eventually climb out. Take the point and move on.

Mr. Inbetween
05-18-2023, 08:14 AM
Also…

https://twitter.com/mclachbot/status/1659069680466776064

jloome
05-18-2023, 08:24 AM
Not a bad performance.

Franklin played much better than his usual self.

Mabika displayed a lot of confidence at the back.

Insigne was excellent, with some great passes.

Fede looking better.

The team is in a rut and will eventually climb out. Take the point and move on.

Kosi Thompson played quite well. We passed well all night, just the same problem of no production in the offensive end. Broken record, quality striker, broken record, quality striker.

Canary10
05-18-2023, 08:39 AM
Kosi Thompson played quite well. We passed well all night, just the same problem of no production in the offensive end. Broken record, quality striker, broken record, quality striker.

It's a problem, but you expect wingers to be doing more than ours are.

Was Thomspson playing as a CB? I wasn't sure. Looked to me like we mostly had a 3 man backline last night. Or maybe he was playing as a deep midfielder. At any rate, I give Bob some credit for juggling that lineup with all the injuries.

Mr. Inbetween
05-18-2023, 08:53 AM
It's a problem, but you expect wingers to be doing more than ours are. Was Thomspson playing as a CB? I wasn't sure. Looked to me like we mostly had a 3 man backline last night. Or maybe he was playing as a deep midfielder. At any rate, I give Bob some credit for juggling that lineup with all the injuries.

There was a moment last night, maybe TFC, or my own, PTSD from the previous match, that after a whistle stoppage, seemed they briefly re-lined up in a formation of 5-2-3. I would say Short Shorts was in DMid mode, maybe a double pivot with Servania?

jloome
05-18-2023, 09:18 AM
There was a moment last night, maybe TFC, or my own, PTSD from the previous match, that after a whistle stoppage, seemed they briefly re-lined up in a formation of 5-2-3. I would say Short Shorts was in DMid mode, maybe a double pivot with Servania?

We were in a 343 for most of it, which is basically the same thing.

We also had a stretch in the second half when he switched us to 4231 which was weird.

SenorDingDong
05-18-2023, 09:43 AM
We were in a 343 for most of it, which is basically the same thing.

We also had a stretch in the second half when he switched us to 4231 which was weird.

What I would give for Bob to do this. 4-4-2 that switches to a 4-2-2-2 on attack. Get Richie in the attack!! He's so good at it.

https://i.ibb.co/F4cxhDT/formation-5-18-2023-10-45-09-AM.png

Canary10
05-18-2023, 09:51 AM
What I would give for Bob to do this. 4-4-2 that switches to a 4-2-2-2 on attack. Get Richie in the attack!! He's so good at it.

https://i.ibb.co/F4cxhDT/formation-5-18-2023-10-45-09-AM.png

I feel like you're saying we should get Richie into the attack.

OgtheDim
05-18-2023, 10:00 AM
So according to those stats

Petretta played a good game

ronzilla
05-18-2023, 10:07 AM
Sapong looked like he was inching closer and closer to scoring. Why was he subbed off? Should have gone at least 60 minutes.

jloome
05-18-2023, 10:10 AM

Easily his best since he's been here.

People think that game was dogshit, but I genuinely disagree. What it was was incredibly defensive and careful, with constant pressure on the ball from both sides. We basically counter-pressed a press.

The result was if you look at the passing map the entire thing was played in the middle zone. We might as well have had man-to-man cover at times.

I just thought it was the first time this season where our players have looked focused and worked hard the entire game, where they understood the required output.

We still have no offensive fluidity or intelligence. I'm genuinely baffled as to what they're coaching offensively during the week. When Insigne got into a position to put a ball, typically, we had no one in the box yet. They are just so offensively tentative, absent Richie. Insigne was working much harder and was more effective, but both he and Bernardeschi are not used to having to read and pick out every pass, they're used to players moving into space where interceptions are difficult.

So their completion rates are quite low (and I know they're wingers; wingers usually have low pass percentages because they cross the ball a lot. Ours DO NOT, so that argument does not apply.)

I still feel, watching us play, that we're so intent on not losing, on not giving up anything defensively, that we're just always overmanned in the box, except when we manage a good fullback overlap late.

jloome
05-18-2023, 10:11 AM
I think he took Sapong off because his distribution was shit. But that was a mistake. I'm just not seeing anything from Ayo except support play. He never takes a chance to try the backline, he just plays back to goal and dishes the ball.

ensco
05-18-2023, 10:29 AM
I think he took Sapong off because his distribution was shit. But that was a mistake. I'm just not seeing anything from Ayo except support play. He never takes a chance to try the backline, he just plays back to goal and dishes the ball.

My feeling watching that was, that's it for Ayo. That is the last time we see him.

Feel bad for him, serious injuries are really serious sometimes…. but it isn’t there.

He seems like a great person. Goddamn shame.

SenorDingDong
05-18-2023, 10:35 AM
My feeling watching that was, that's it for Ayo. That is the last time we see him.

Feel bad for him, serious injuries are really serious sometimes…. but it isn’t there.

He seems like a great person. Goddamn shame.

I wouldn't feel too bad.

How does 34 year old CJ Sapongs Fitness & Stamina levels blow 23 year old Akinolas out of the water?

ensco
05-18-2023, 01:13 PM
I wouldn't feel too bad.

How does 34 year old CJ Sapongs Fitness & Stamina levels blow 23 year old Akinolas out of the water?

If a serious injury wrecked a very promising player’s career, I feel bad. Especially when it seems (just based on interviews etc) that Ayo is a good kid.

Ultra & Proud
05-18-2023, 01:19 PM
If a serious injury wrecked a very promising player’s career, I feel bad. Especially when it seems (just based on interviews etc) that Ayo is a good kid.

I feel bad for that injury and the timing but I'm not sure he was any good. I think the odd world of the MLS is Back tournament and his bizarre production in it inflated his value. Remove that and what we're seeing now is pretty much his norm; slow, out of shape, always back to goal, winning zero balls, walking around, blowing chances.

OgtheDim
05-18-2023, 01:36 PM

Yeh, this scene comes to mind - not quite the level that occurred in this scene but the "none of us know what's going on in each other's lives" is an important reminder

https://twitter.com/giselleb1234/status/1656124866012094464

ag futbol
05-18-2023, 02:00 PM
I feel bad for that injury and the timing but I'm not sure he was any good. I think the odd world of the MLS is Back tournament and his bizarre production in it inflated his value. Remove that and what we're seeing now is pretty much his norm; slow, out of shape, always back to goal, winning zero balls, walking around, blowing chances.
I agree. Nothing against him personally. As ENSCO said, seems like a good guy.

But even that MLS is back play felt kind of one dimensional. I don’t know if I’ve ever really seen the skills to justify the billing.

jloome
05-18-2023, 02:20 PM

You know who will notice that? John Herdman. CMNT do it too, with Vitoria flooding the box.

Hmmm... I wonder if any enterprising reporters will have the sense to try calling a few ex-players and see if they can get at least on an anonymous or background basis some description of the differences between their current and prior coaching, why they suddenly play with such freedom and abandon?

(Anyone who thinks shit like that doesn't work is, if a reporter, someone got spanked regularly by colleagues who know what they're doing. It's in how you ask things, the question order, the tone etc.)

The number of things media people WOULDN'T bother trying always massively outnumbered what they would. Most now just wait for shit to happen and then get six seconds of coverage out of it before it's across twitter.

los sonadores
05-18-2023, 03:20 PM

He played really well.

It’s interesting how BB clearly favours centre halves who are mobile, can get forward and really pass (Hedges is a f-ing necessity and passes well enough but I’m guessing he’s not Bob’s ideal). Two wingbacks as CBs might have looked pretty good, hah. Richie was getting forward in the second half. After our wingers he was involved in the most actions in or into their box - playing CB. With a 20 year old mid (Kosi Thompson) filling in at CB when Richie went forward. Maibike was quite mobile as well.

Doesn’t sound like dog shit to me. If you like football that’s interesting stuff.

We did a bit of that last year but not with a wingback in central defence and a kid covering… and nothing like that as far foreword.

Mr. Inbetween
05-18-2023, 04:11 PM

I feel like you're saying we should get Richie into the attack.

Another option, previously mentioned by me, maybe Lollo in the AM/SSTKR role?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FwfGriVWYAAAnZn?format=jpg&name=small

rydermike
05-18-2023, 05:27 PM
I think the US/Canada tug of war also contributed to the value inflation. You had basically everyone hyping potential trying to entice him to commit to them. Basically it was a never ending stream of constant pleasing and praise hyping him as the next big thing in the recruitment process. Probably contributed to him getting a early first team deal at 17, as if we didn't some US team would've been encouraged to pluck him from our academy.

The hype might've created a false confidence, meanwhile guys like Tajon and Jonathan David just quietly did their thing and surpassed him

los sonadores
05-18-2023, 09:44 PM
I think the US/Canada tug of war also contributed to the value inflation. You had basically everyone hyping potential trying to entice him to commit to them. Basically it was a never ending stream of constant pleasing and praise hyping him as the next big thing in the recruitment process. Probably contributed to him getting a early first team deal at 17, as if we didn't some US team would've been encouraged to pluck him from our academy.

The hype might've created a false confidence, meanwhile guys like Tajon and Jonathan David just quietly did their thing and surpassed him

Probably true. And meanwhile he was being converted to striker and that never quite entirely worked out.

It’s astonishing how poor he’s been anywhere near goal. One would have to think that if he can score even one goal, or even get off a good and admirable shot(?) that it might lead to something. At least something more than we’ve got so far.

Mr. Inbetween
05-19-2023, 04:47 AM
^^^
Lollo? In the interim... some Total Football?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fwe3MHWXoAAE692?format=jpg&name=small

FootBallAZ
05-19-2023, 02:39 PM
what a terribly ugly game- kerr somehow is injured now lol and pulling off sapong when he probably would have scored or at least hit the net instead of Ayo.

I think a lot of supporters have become numb to this losing way for the past 3 seasons - and are remaining optimistic.

best example i can give is- Sean Johnson being mediocre for TFC (hasnt made a game saving change up until this game really) and that is the effect of keeping Bono for 2 additional seasons - impacting expectations of what a goalkeeper should be doing.

The fans boo'd at the final whistle and a lot were insanely angry with no urgency in the play.

the worst part is- when TFC was down -they played like they have the lead which is something I never understood.