PDA

View Full Version : Match Day 10 - NYC @ TFC - Sat April 29 7:39pm - NYC @ TFC - Maybe This Time

OgtheDim
04-24-2023, 07:54 AM
.... Win

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw9MhA9Y1d4&ab_channel=2021LondonCastofCab aret-Topic

Have At It People

jloome
04-24-2023, 09:51 AM
I think if we lose this in close fashion, maybe BB survives it.

I think if we lose like we did against Philadelphia, the jig is probably up.

It's one thing to get shaded by a tough team. But our payroll is the highest in the league by some margin, and Philly owned us like a branded steer.

ag futbol
04-24-2023, 10:23 AM
I think if we lose this in close fashion, maybe BB survives it.

I think if we lose like we did against Philadelphia, the jig is probably up.

It's one thing to get shaded by a tough team. But our payroll is the highest in the league by some margin, and Philly owned us like a branded steer.
If we lose this game big or both of the next two, I wouldn’t be surprised if Bob sticks around a bit longer and the board cans Manning first. Bob essentially dead man walking until they figure out who takes the big seat.

Canary10
04-24-2023, 10:32 AM
We better no lose to the team who just lost to Clubfoot Montreal. That's all I can say.

OgtheDim
04-24-2023, 10:56 AM
Yeh, I don't think somebody gets fired over a loss on this game as its there is too much invested in this group

but they lose this one then that group in the room are not good enough for the circumstances of this league.

God I love this version of that song, BTW.

ronzilla
04-24-2023, 11:17 AM
To be fair, Insigne just recently got back into the lineup.

If BB can't win the next 2 of 3 games with both Fede and Insigne starting, then he must go.

The next few games will paint a clear picture.

Graeme
04-24-2023, 11:50 AM
What are the odds of Bernardeschi starting? He was listed as questionable last week and only played 45 on Saturday. Do we know what's up?

Fort York Redcoat
04-24-2023, 11:59 AM
All I want is a shutout for SJ vs his former side.

jloome
04-24-2023, 12:13 PM
What are the odds of Bernardeschi starting? He was listed as questionable last week and only played 45 on Saturday. Do we know what's up?

Was he taken off due to injury, or due to unwillingness to play defence?

I know everyone here loves him (and consequetly I anticipate a shitstorm of critical response) and I do not doubt his offensive talent.

But when I watch him play, I see a guy disinterested in the defensive half of the pitch, much of the time. Yes, he sometimes tracks back, and he sometimes does it when really needed.

But it masks somewhat the fact that much of the time, he does not track the wing, he does not occupy space. He does not play his role fully. And I think it's going to be very easy for people to be distracted from that by his "I love TFC" persona, his outward ebullience.

On the pitch, he creates some challenges. His passing is the lowest completion rate on the team, at 74%. He kills transitions by either taking on three guys alone or not passing accurately, or not moving into his open support space. On more than one occasion, one of the strikers has ended up dropping to cover for him because he hasn't tracked back..

I don't think he's really attempting to be a team player. I think he's looking at how bad some of our players are performing and thinking, "I have to carry this offense, period." But that wont' work, and it doesn't excuse not playing defense and not tracking back. I think his one-dimensional nature is a bit of an issue for them. He's not Seba; he's not going to repeatedly win games on his own. He needs to work as part of a unit.

Now granted, if we had a central midfield that could stop traffic, this would be much LESS of an issue. Most of the time, the only reason we need the front three to drop behind the half is because we've already been pinned back. So what I'm seeing is probably exacerbated by the other issues.

But I'll challenge anyone who disagrees with me to go back and watch him off the ball. Half the time, he doesn't even bother trying to get over the half line before the ball has reached our box. Defending isn't just tackling; it's closing lanes, narrowing passing opportunities, not leaving acres of space so the other team can easily switch field and escape pressure.

Canary10
04-24-2023, 12:18 PM

I know everyone here loves him (and consequetly I anticipate a shitstorm of critical response) and I do not doubt his offensive talent.

But when I watch him play, I see a guy disinterested in the defensive half of the pitch, much of the time. Yes, he sometimes tracks back, and he sometimes does it when really needed.

But it masks somewhat the fact that much of the time, he does not track the wing, he does not occupy space. He does not play his role fully. And I think it's going to be very easy for people to be distracted from that by his "I love TFC" persona, his outward ebullience.

On the pitch, he creates some challenges. His passing is the lowest completion rate on the team, at 74%. He kills transitions by either taking on three guys alone or not passing accurately, or not moving into his open support space. On more than one occasion, one of the strikers has ended up dropping to cover for him because he hasn't tracked back..

I don't think he's really attempting to be a team player. I think he's looking at how bad some of our players are performing and thinking, "I have to carry this offense, period." But that wont' work, and it doesn't excuse not playing defense and not tracking back. I think his one-dimensional nature is a bit of an issue for them.

Now granted, if we had a central midfield that could stop traffic, this would be much LESS of an issue. Most of the time, the only reason we need the front three to drop behind the half is because we've already been pinned back. So what I'm seeing is probably exacerbated by the other issues.

But I'll challenge anyone who disagrees with me to go back and watch him off the ball. Half the time, he doesn't even bother trying to get over the half line before the ball has reached our box. Defending isn't just tackling; it's closing lanes, narrowing passing opportunities, not leaving acres of space so the other team can easily switch field and escape pressure.

I was at the Atlanta game, and he definitely looked to have picked up a knock. So I'm guessing his playing time is injury-related.

But I actually don't disagree with anything you said. I think it's accurate.

OgtheDim
04-24-2023, 12:18 PM

FWIW, asked directly at the presser, BB said he hadn't been practising most of the week so that was done precautionary given the state of the game.

I suspect they are going to put out every stop to get everybody, including Hedges & Bradley, ready to play for this one.

jloome
04-24-2023, 12:30 PM
I suspect they are going to put out every stop to get everybody, including Hedges & Bradley, ready to play for this one.

I think Bradley must know by now he is running out of time. He was on the "who gets fired first" list from MLSsoccer.com today. When the official mouthpiece starts talking about a negative, it's an issue.

JosephFC
04-24-2023, 03:37 PM
It's common knowledge that defenders and most certainly midfielders will always have higher pass completion rates then attacking players especially ones with two and three defenders constantly on their backs the way Bernadeschi does, you want him to track back? I want the back four defenders and midfielders to move the ball out of our end of which it was the entire first half of the Phila game.

los sonadores
04-24-2023, 03:37 PM
I think Bradley must know by now he is running out of time. He was on the "who gets fired first" list from MLSsoccer.com today. When the official mouthpiece starts talking about a negative, it's an issue.

Interesting. It isn’t a numbered list but here’s certainly there. “Bob Bradley, Peter Vermes, Oscar Pareja and Greg Vanney.” I think if this is LAFC, yeah, maybe but MLSE, no.

jloome
04-24-2023, 04:24 PM
It's common knowledge that defenders and most certainly midfielders will always have higher pass completion rates then attacking players especially ones with two and three defenders constantly on their backs the way Bernadeschi does, you want him to track back? I want the back four defenders and midfielders to move the ball out of our end of which it was the entire first half of the Phila game.

His rate, 74%, is low even for wingers in MLS. And yes, when they have two players attacking wide, I want both of our wide players actually playing defense. Being double-teamed in their zone doesn't stop him from facing in the other direction and running.

JosephFC
04-24-2023, 04:36 PM
His rate, 74%, is low even for wingers in MLS. And yes, when they have two players attacking wide, I want both of our wide players actually playing defense. Being double-teamed in their zone doesn't stop him from facing in the other direction and running.
I am not the least bit concerned with 74% when I know that he has been playing here from Day 1 without a decent #9 and this season without Insigne. Midfielders that can actually string a few passes together might make things look a little brighter.

jloome
04-24-2023, 04:39 PM
I am not the least bit concerned with 74% when I know that he has been playing here from Day 1 without a decent #9 and this season without Insigne. Midfielders that can actually string a few passes together might make things look a little brighter.

Not going to disagree with that.

los sonadores
04-25-2023, 12:57 AM

Yeah, seconded. And other than the occasional ball, often forward, to Richie and the inevitable long and final-third switch to Insigne (I expect this to happen much too often until we have a useful nine) I don’t get much sense that he passes at all. It’s a bit in the realm of his defence. He feels he’s got to score or directly make the offence… or else we ain’t got none. Which is mostly true.

Yuushalinsky
04-25-2023, 08:08 AM
Will Sapong make a difference here? I kind of question it, but perhaps being stuck behind Mukhtar and battling with Bunbury hasn't been giving him very many shots and Nashville is one of the teams below us in goals so perhaps some other service will give him more chances. Despite playing less than half the available minutes he's tied with his contemporary in xG essentially.

Ultra & Proud
04-25-2023, 08:24 AM
Will Sapong make a difference here? I kind of question it, but perhaps being stuck behind Mukhtar and battling with Bunbury hasn't been giving him very many shots and Nashville is one of the teams below us in goals so perhaps some other service will give him more chances. Despite playing less than half the available minutes he's tied with his contemporary in xG essentially.
He isn't a consistent scorer so I don't expect many goals but at least he can do the target forward thing and hold up the ball, good in the air, be physical.

jloome
04-25-2023, 09:06 AM
He isn't a consistent scorer so I don't expect many goals but at least he can do the target forward thing and hold up the ball, good in the air, be physical.

Feels like a desperation move. Sapong is a perennially streaky striker and he's 34 years old now. Basically it feels like they're getting a platoon partner for Diomande.

My guess is they mostly want the presence, like you say.

McNaughton was never going to be a starter, too error prone.

The $200,000 GAM was a bit surprising and seems excessive.

jloome
04-25-2023, 09:08 AM

He's very streaky. He'll score in two or three straight, then disappear for ten or 15 games without a goal. Age has almost certainly affected his play, as well. CJ Sapong at 29 is a dubious starter in this league. At 34, I have to believe he's a platoon/rotation player with Diomande, and all Bob really expects from them is to hold up and continue play, plus chip in with the odd goal.

Ultra & Proud
04-25-2023, 09:31 AM
The $200,000 GAM was a bit surprising and seems excessive.

Not worrying about this since they've been mentioning dropping it for intra league moves and such. Soon it probably won't matter. Might be smart to dump what you have before it's like owning a collection of pennies.

OgtheDim
04-25-2023, 10:45 AM
We had GAM to spare it seems.

This is a "we shall see" move.

More thinking what does this mean for the backline - we have 3 CB's now.

Oh, wait, we got a backup from Miami.

jloome
04-25-2023, 11:27 AM
We had GAM to spare it seems.

This is a "we shall see" move.

More thinking what does this mean for the backline - we have 3 CB's now.

Oh, wait, we got a backup from Miami.

I believe we signed Adam Pearlman in the offseason as well? Maybe that's wrong and he's still at USL. Either way, scouts in USL II over the last two seasons have consistently noted that he looks almost MLS ready. I suspect it's why he had a cup of tea in France during the preseason, with teams there looking whether to buy him now that he's 18.

OgtheDim
04-25-2023, 11:56 AM
FWIW

https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/1650905862620299279

jloome
04-25-2023, 01:43 PM
FWIW

https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/1650905862620299279

I suspect Johnson is just having a day off after the pace of his week so far.

613reppingTFC
04-25-2023, 01:52 PM
Yes lets hope that it was just due to a busy week Johnson had last week. I saw someone else posted in the TFCII that Romero went off injured during the game on the weekend.

Ultra & Proud
04-25-2023, 02:52 PM
Yes lets hope that it was just due to a busy week Johnson had last week. I saw someone else posted in the TFCII that Romero went off injured during the game on the weekend.
Yeah he did. Anyone know any update on this? I heard nothing at all.

leedsandTFC
04-25-2023, 02:55 PM
johnson ended up joining the team in training fwiw.

i'd go:

insigne sapong berna
MAK Oso Alonso
RP SR MH RL
SJ

this is ABSOLUTELY a must win.

we really need minimum 7 points from the next 4 games minimum or BB will be in trouble (and progression in the VC, ofc).

Ultra & Proud
04-25-2023, 03:03 PM

i'd go:

insigne sapong berna
MAK Oso Alonso
RP SR MH RL
SJ

we really need minimum 7 points from the next 4 games minimum or BB will be in trouble (and progression in the VC, ofc).

If Servania is available I would put him over Coello. Otherwise, that's about as good as it gets for us.

jloome
04-25-2023, 03:11 PM
Well, we can't be worse off than we were up top. Hopefully he just slots in and sees what's going on. He's a veteran, he's a hold up guy. This can work.

jloome
04-25-2023, 03:24 PM
If Servania is available I would put him over Coello. Otherwise, that's about as good as it gets for us.

I think Coelo has to be the natural sub for either MAK or Oso, because his pace is not his strength and on the right side we have more defensive fires to put out based on the wing being overloaded.

I'd probably sub it as

Insigne (JMR) Sapong (Dio) Bernie (Kerr)

MAK (Coelo) Oso (Coelo) Servania (Thompson)

RP (Guti) SR (O'Neill) Hedges (Mabike) Laryea (Franklin)

Then probably rotate the mids as required to get MB in.

Derko
04-25-2023, 07:13 PM
Why don't we start with MAK on the bloody bench

MikeForbes
04-25-2023, 07:36 PM

1. We spent an absurd amount of GAM on him
2. That would insinuate Bob/Bill made a mistake
3. He plays (very occasionally) for the CMNT. So, buy your tickets.

OgtheDim
04-25-2023, 08:09 PM

And replace him with?

(Servania & BB injured this week btw)

los sonadores
04-25-2023, 09:13 PM

i'd go:

insigne sapong berna
MAK Oso Alonso
RP SR MH RL
SJ

I think that’s gotta be the line up (given the injuries to MB and Servania).

los sonadores
04-25-2023, 09:17 PM
Well, we can't be worse off than we were up top. Hopefully he just slots in and sees what's going on. He's a veteran, he's a hold up guy. This can work.

I agree. Even with weak hold up play last week from Peruzza we looked better.

No question that the idea is Diomande and Sapong in platoon. I think it can work.

OgtheDim
04-26-2023, 08:09 AM
For those watching at home, the Apple commentators are Tony Husband & Kyndra St. Aubin

Some will love the British voice but he does the BBC "hyperbola at any form of momentum" thing. Kyndra St. Aubin is a decent colour analyst who even when with the Loons did criticise both teams during the run of play.

jloome
04-26-2023, 08:42 AM
For those watching at home, the Apple commentators are Tony Husband & Kyndra St. Aubin

Some will love the British voice but he does the BBC "hyperbola at any form of momentum" thing. Kyndra St. Aubin is a decent colour analyst who even when with the Loons did criticise both teams during the run of play.

As much as I love the Beeb and consume mostly British Tv, their regional announcers are very mixed these days. The make a big deal out of nothing trend seems almost endemic these days,

Ultra & Proud
04-26-2023, 09:16 AM

St. Aubin is alright but I think Apple dropped the ball with these announcers. Most are terrible. I mean really bad. They make me miss Caldwell and that's saying something.

jloome
04-26-2023, 09:53 AM
St. Aubin is alright but I think Apple dropped the ball with these announcers. Most are terrible. I mean really bad. They make me miss Caldwell and that's saying something.

She was atrocious on the San Jose game.

FootBallAZ
04-26-2023, 10:37 AM
And replace him with?

well if the team wasnt gutted TFC would have some what of an adequate replacement.

FootBallAZ
04-26-2023, 10:39 AM
1. We spent an absurd amount of GAM on him
2. That would insinuate Bob/Bill made a mistake
3. He plays (very occasionally) for the CMNT. So, buy your tickets.

This- MAK hasnt started recently- whoever envisioned - OSO + MAK-should be fired ASAP.

OgtheDim
04-26-2023, 03:09 PM
She was atrocious on the San Jose game.

That was Danielle Slaton - ex SJE colour commentator.

OgtheDim
04-26-2023, 03:11 PM
well if the team wasnt gutted TFC would have some what of an adequate replacement.

We have 6 central mids...how many more do we want?

JoesphNdo
04-26-2023, 03:20 PM
We have 6 central mids...how many more do we want?

We have 6, sure, how many start at a shield chasing team? Maybe Osorio, if he gets back to his best?

I don't think 'look how many we have' is a defence of the squad assembly if none of them are particularly inspiring

OgtheDim
04-26-2023, 03:41 PM
We have 6, sure, how many start at a shield chasing team?....

This is hindsight. In 2016, in April, most of us would have said 1 (MB), maybe 2 in Will Johnson. People hated Delgado & thought Oso would never grow up. Cooper & Cheyrou hadn't shown up yet & VV was next season.

Next year, we were arguably the best MLS team ever. (I'm not saying 2023 = 2016 - I'm saying shield chasing is not what this team was going to be this season)

My response was to somebody saying in essence, MAK has to be on the bench. That means a 3 person mid of Oso, Coello & ?

JoesphNdo
04-26-2023, 03:55 PM
This is hindsight. In 2016, in April, most of us would have said 1 (MB), maybe 2 in Will Johnson. People hated Delgado & thought Oso would never grow up. Cooper & Cheyrou hadn't shown up yet & VV was next season.

Next year, we were arguably the best MLS team ever. (I'm not saying 2023 = 2016 - I'm saying shield chasing is not what this team was going to be this season)

My response was to somebody saying in essence, MAK has to be on the bench. That means a 3 person mid of Oso, Coello & ?

But then their reply was basically we'd have options if we didn't shit the bed in roster construction. And there's just no way to look at our central mid field and our alleged cap space and not agree with that sentiment. We can have a list of 6, 7, 10 central mid fielders if none are good enough for a club at the level we should be at that isn't a good thing

I mean 1 maybe 2 starters in a top mls team is a damn sight better than us now with 0, maaaaybe at a stretch 1, if his form turns around. Even a team looking to finish top 3 or 4 in a conference and take a run in the play offs, no team matching that description takes any of our central mid field right now

Basically I don't think 'look how many we have' means much if they aren't at the level we need them to be at

Mr. Inbetween
04-26-2023, 04:04 PM
And replace him with? (Servania & BB injured this week btw)

…My response was to somebody saying in essence, MAK has to be on the bench. That means a 3 person mid of Oso, Coello & ?

Sorry, are we/you sure? Is Servania injured or was he just absent from training?

Derko
04-26-2023, 04:06 PM
And replace him with?

I was just having a rant, just waiting for MAK to impress.

OgtheDim
04-26-2023, 06:00 PM

Sorry man....its been a few dark days for me around this site. I'm not happy either....we've got, in theory, a good team.

I'm tired of MLS pundits saying we overspent and have no depth - our depth is decent enough for MLS.

I'm tired of people saying "X player is crap" and then somebody else saying "y player is crap" when I see so much dang potential if somebody could just unlock the whole thing with a coherent approach.

I'm tired of being let down by every single CF we've had except Dichio, Koevs, De Ro, Seba & Alitdore.

I'm tired of people saying "blow it up now" when blowing it up now means blowing it up until 2025.

I'm tired of watching our defence make the same mistakes every season but 2016-2017.

I'm tired of people saying "we trust Canadians too much" & others "we don't trust our youth" & I'm most tired of people seeing 1 freaking play (not one game, not one half...one freaking play) go "That guy is crap"

So I'm both tired of how the team I support is doing & tired of how the conversations are going.

We need an effin win. :taz:

stevep
04-26-2023, 08:41 PM

I watched him at the Atlanta game. He’s a 4/10 player at best

Derko
04-27-2023, 09:10 AM
Sorry man....its been a few dark days for me around this site. I'm not happy either....we've got, in theory, a good team.

I'm tired of MLS pundits saying we overspent and have no depth - our depth is decent enough for MLS.

I'm tired of people saying "X player is crap" and then somebody else saying "y player is crap" when I see so much dang potential if somebody could just unlock the whole thing with a coherent approach.

I'm tired of being let down by every single CF we've had except Dichio, Koevs, De Ro, Seba & Alitdore.

I'm tired of people saying "blow it up now" when blowing it up now means blowing it up until 2025.

I'm tired of watching our defence make the same mistakes every season but 2016-2017.

I'm tired of people saying "we trust Canadians too much" & others "we don't trust our youth" & I'm most tired of people seeing 1 freaking play (not one game, not one half...one freaking play) go "That guy is crap"

So I'm both tired of how the team I support is doing & tired of how the conversations are going.

We need an effin win. :taz:

And a convincing win at that, TFC needs to make a statement, in particular at home :drum:

FootBallAZ
04-27-2023, 10:22 AM
I find it difficult to get up for TFC games - hurts to say it- I realized this- feeling excitement for team canada play- I used to have this feeling with TFC - but the flame is dying out.

A convincing win wont make up for the fact TFC has 1 win since last season- It is becoming very sad- not even laughably sad like Armas- this is hurting- we trusted manning twice has failed TFC

On top of this- I understand players were traded away like POZ to make him happy with his GF - but the guy isnt even in Miami- they shipped players out -looking out for them and their best interest ! what about TFC.

TFC could have held on to Poz for two games prior to the trade deadline to see the chemistry with LI and FB.

Ultra & Proud
04-27-2023, 10:27 AM
We have 6, sure, how many start at a shield chasing team? Maybe Osorio, if he gets back to his best?

I don't think 'look how many we have' is a defence of the squad assembly if none of them are particularly inspiring
On a shield chasing team? None. How many have we had since 2017? None.

Even on 2017 we had Bradley who was good enough. Osorio & Delgado worked but were unremarkable. Vasquez was good too but not durable. Cheyrou the same.

Oso, MAK, & Servania (plus 2023 VV & Coello) can match up with the latter of that list. We just need another 2017 level DM to start and then plop MB into the old Cheyrou role. That group, with proper tactics & solid full team play, can work good enough to contend.

jloome
04-27-2023, 10:31 AM
On a shield chasing team? None. How many have we had since 2017? None.

Even on 2017 we had Bradley who was good enough. Osorio & Delgado worked but were unremarkable. Vasquez was good too but not durable. Cheyrou the same.

Oso, MAK, & Servania (plus 2023 VV & Coello) can match up with the latter of that list. We just need another 2017 level DM to start and then plop MB into the old Cheyrou role. That group, with proper tactics & solid full team play, can work good enough to contend.

Every midfielder we have is a number 8 style player, balanced but not exceptional in any one area.

We could really use a couple who are exceptional specialists, a DM and an attacker who can come in late and both press high and cause late threats, to keep the other team's pressure as minimal as possible.

OgtheDim
04-27-2023, 11:31 AM
well it could be worse

Toronto FC vs New York City FC
BMO Field (7:30PM ET)
REF: Armando Villarreal
AR1: Andrew Bigelow
AR2: Meghan Mullen
4TH: Ben Pilgrim
VAR: Alejandro Mariscal
AVAR: Tom Supple

https://proreferees.com/roster/referees/armando-villarreal/

Ultra & Proud
04-27-2023, 11:58 AM
well it could be worse

https://proreferees.com/roster/referees/armando-villarreal/

This is the best thing that can be said for PRO ref appointments and Apple match commentator crews.

OgtheDim
04-27-2023, 12:58 PM
This is the best thing that can be said for PRO ref appointments and Apple match commentator crews.

.:iagree:

I'm just the messenger here but at least it prepares people for the weirdness & the unprofessionalism

Ultra & Proud
04-27-2023, 03:08 PM
unPROfessionalism

So that's where they got that from.

MikeForbes
04-27-2023, 03:26 PM
Oso, VV and Gutierrez have all been ruled out for Saturday.

MikeForbes
04-27-2023, 03:34 PM
https://twitter.com/WakingtheRed/status/1651678786956537858?s=20

leedsandTFC
04-27-2023, 04:05 PM
Feel like hedges, berna and sapong start, MB sits

jloome
04-27-2023, 04:31 PM
Feel like hedges, berna and sapong start, MB sits

That could prove interesting, a midfield of MAK, Coelo, Servania.

leedsandTFC
04-27-2023, 05:11 PM
That could prove interesting, a midfield of MAK, Coelo, Servania.

yes, more defensive responsibility there than any other combination, will be interesting to see.

MikeForbes
04-27-2023, 06:31 PM
yes, more defensive responsibility there than any other combination, will be interesting to see.

That trio could be our best if we wanna play with three 8's.

Red CB Toronto
04-27-2023, 10:14 PM
Well with the Leafs now in game 6 Saturday night, how empty will BMO be, with people dumping their tickets etc, will be interesting.

los sonadores
04-28-2023, 12:34 AM
I really hope some of those “questionable”s play. If Bernie can’t go I’d put Richie in his place and JMR at right back. We need a strong front three at home.

MAK will need to get back to his best. Coelho hasn’t looked great when being pressed and I think NYCFC will press. Let’s hope that Hedges plays. I think having our usual Rosted - Hedges pairing will help overall, including what goes on in midfield.

We all need a win but hey, to look on the bright side, last year our roster was shit but this year at least we have very good players. Even if they’re not playing all at once. It’s gotta happen at some point

los sonadores
04-28-2023, 02:33 AM
If MB isn’t back and Oso is hurt who captains the squad? Hedges if he’s fit?

OgtheDim
04-28-2023, 06:44 AM
Well with the Leafs now in game 6 Saturday night, how empty will BMO be, with people dumping their tickets etc, will be interesting.

I've never noticed a significant crossover in terms of attendees between the Leafs & TFC.

Red CB Toronto
04-28-2023, 07:29 AM
I've never noticed a significant crossover in terms of attendees between the Leafs & TFC.

It more the casual person who has tickets and decides to bail on them to watch the Leafs. A lot of the corporate MLSE partners have tickets to both. The Jays see the same thing, I was actually pleasantly happy the Jays drew over 26K last Monday with the Leafs playing at the same time. I remember in the past the dome could be a morgue if the Leafs were in the playoffs. If the weather is complete crap that will play a part in keeping people away too.

613reppingTFC
04-28-2023, 08:18 AM
We all need a win but hey, to look on the bright side, last year our roster was shit but this year at least we have very good players. Even if they’re not playing all at once. It’s gotta happen at some point

Remember..was it 2021? The talk about how we couldn't field our 3 DP's at the same time I'm trying to look back but cannot find when it was but they had something like combined 30 minutes of time together and it was part way through the season. Let's hope that's not a repeat this year

ronzilla
04-28-2023, 09:21 AM
I don't believe the current record (1-2-6) reflects on the teams true performance, when you have horrendous officiating that took away wins. Up until the Philly game, Laryea was clearly fouled four times in the box and no penalty given, against Nashville and Atlanta. Fede would have surely converted them to wins.

The only three players that have been playing consistently well from the start are Fede, Laryea and Johnson. Everyone else needs to step up. It really fucking annoys me how MAK easily gives up when he losses possession, and just throws up his arms, while the ball is just a few feet away. He needs to be more aggressive.

WIth Insigne starting and Fede playing at least 45 minutes, it should be more than enough to come out with a win. If not, BB should be canned. No excuses.

Can't find much on Johnson, hope he gets the start. He's been a beast this season.

FootBallAZ
04-28-2023, 10:53 AM
I don't believe the current record (1-2-6) reflects on the teams true performance, when you have horrendous officiating that took away wins. Up until the Philly game, Laryea was clearly fouled four times in the box and no penalty given, against Nashville and Atlanta. Fede would have surely converted them to wins.

The only three players that have been playing consistently well from the start are Fede, Laryea and Johnson. Everyone else needs to step up. It really fucking annoys me how MAK easily gives up when he losses possession, and just throws up his arms, while the ball is just a few feet away. He needs to be more aggressive.

WIth Insigne starting and Fede playing at least 45 minutes, it should be more than enough to come out with a win. If not, BB should be canned. No excuses.

Can't find much on Johnson, hope he gets the start. He's been a beast this season.

Disagree with Johnson being a beast. I would day a beast at commanding his box and set pieces but mediocre at best. Hasn't come up with a big momentum changing save when needed.

A lot of his saves were direct shots on target to him which I guess having Bono before is a huge positive.

His play last game when he didn't need to jump to keep the ball in play was very low level low IQ.

I also think laryea hasn't been good consistently sure last two games he scored, seems like he evolved with a shot outside the 18 and with a shake move in the box.

Agree about MAK

Ultra & Proud
04-28-2023, 10:58 AM

I think we are at about what we deserve. Besides our win over Charlotte I can't say we dominated or even fully controlled any match we were in. On the other hand, minus last weeks debacle, we haven't been dominated or fully controlled either. That first match was an oddity in that we controlled most of it until it really mattered then we lost the plot. We probably deserved that to be a draw so at best I would say we should be 1-7-1. Totally mediocre as I figured we would be when the season started.

SenorDingDong
04-28-2023, 11:05 AM
I think we are at about what we deserve. Besides our win over Charlotte I can't say we dominated or even fully controlled any match we were in. On the other hand, minus last weeks debacle, we haven't been dominated or fully controlled either. That first match was an oddity in that we controlled most of it until it really mattered then we lost the plot. We probably deserved that to be a draw so at best I would say we should be 1-7-1. Totally mediocre as I figured we would be when the season started.

We should have a couple more wins. Charlotte at home is a win if we don't have the insane wind / weather conditions. Otherwise I agree.

Anyway we will see. Weather for tomorrow's match looks pretty terrible so can't imagine it will have a good turnout.

Ultra & Proud
04-28-2023, 11:36 AM
We should have a couple more wins. Charlotte at home is a win if we don't have the insane wind / weather conditions. Otherwise I agree.

Anyway we will see. Weather for tomorrow's match looks pretty terrible so can't imagine it will have a good turnout.
All signs point to another ugly draw.

FootBallAZ
04-28-2023, 11:48 AM

it goes both was man- that goal bernie scored probably doesnt happen with the wind either- which really means who knows if TFC would have won- cant count wind against the team and not the wind for the assisted goal.

leedsandTFC
04-28-2023, 12:36 PM
https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/1652002823666642945

hedges was cleared to play and bernardeschi was training fully today (and has done most the week).

Mr. Inbetween
04-28-2023, 01:02 PM
FYI…

https://twitter.com/MichaelSingh94/status/1651999232298037266

Mr. Inbetween
04-28-2023, 01:04 PM
Also…

https://twitter.com/MichaelSingh94/status/1652002976452452352

Ultra & Proud
04-28-2023, 01:05 PM
FYI…

At best he'll be back right before the stupid Leagues Cup break but most likely after it on Aug 20.

Mr. Inbetween
04-28-2023, 01:12 PM
And this, on both, with MB included…

https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/1651999159782719488

Ultra & Proud
04-28-2023, 01:20 PM
And this, on both, with MB included…

https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/1651999159782719488
Depending on the salary, Vasquez might go down as one of the biggest busts based on dollars to minutes we ever signed.

613reppingTFC
04-28-2023, 02:48 PM
Depending on the salary, Vasquez might go down as one of the biggest busts based on dollars to minutes we ever signed.

Yeah depending on how the rest of the season goes for him. It says he has played about 93 mins if that's up to date in 4 games this year so far.
I would say Erickson Gallardo should be in that talk too though, only played 630 minutes across two seasons

los sonadores
04-28-2023, 03:17 PM
FYI…

If it’s a strain and not a tear he shouldn’t be out long.

Ultra & Proud
04-28-2023, 03:18 PM
Yeah depending on how the rest of the season goes for him. It says he has played about 93 mins if that's up to date in 4 games this year so far.
I would say Erickson Gallardo should be in that talk too though, only played 630 minutes across two seasons
Another shrewd piece of scouting by Dodd I assume.

los sonadores
04-28-2023, 03:25 PM
So according to the injury reports, and if Sapong is here, sounds like:

Johnson

RL — MH — SR — RP

Servania — MAK — Coelho

Bernie — Sapong — Insigne

edit - Sapong is here, will wear #9

los sonadores
04-28-2023, 03:44 PM
I’m more expecting lively physical/hold up play from Sapong than goals but just for interest, from Molinario:

“Last season, Sapong scored five goals and had five assists in the regular season. But he hadn't scored in eight appearances in 2023, and his previous MLS goal came last May. His goal-scoring form has been up and down the last six years: seven in 2016, 16 in 2017, four in 2018, 13 in 2019, two in 2020, 12 in 2021, and five in 2022.”

jloome
04-28-2023, 04:06 PM
I’m more expecting lively physical/hold up play from Sapong than goals but just for interest, from Molinario:

“Last season, Sapong scored five goals and had five assists in the regular season. But he hadn't scored in eight appearances in 2023, and his previous MLS goal came last May. His goal-scoring form has been up and down the last six years: seven in 2016, 16 in 2017, four in 2018, 13 in 2019, two in 2020, 12 in 2021, and five in 2022.”

Pretty typical for target men and poachers, as they're totally reliant on service. If the team is giving them good looks they score more.

los sonadores
04-28-2023, 04:19 PM
Pretty typical for target men and poachers, as they're totally reliant on service. If the team is giving them good looks they score more.

Yeah, and three different clubs (not including us) in those 6 years.

Richie said "He's tough to play against. He's very active, constantly moving, making runs. He's very good within the box, and at getting his body and foot to things. ... He can score off a header; obviously anything cut back or whipped across the box, he's in and around those areas.”

Prof
04-28-2023, 10:00 PM

The last time the Leafs won a playoff round, TFC didn't even exist. Since then:

1 MLS Cup title
1 Supporters Shield
3 MLS Cup Final appearances
8 Canadian championships
1 CONCACAF Champions League Final appearance

This season may not be going that well but let's keep things in perspective. We are only six years removed from winning a championship and it's a safe bet TFC will win another one before the Leaf's do.:hump:

OgtheDim
04-29-2023, 07:16 AM
Il pleut

Red CB Toronto
04-29-2023, 07:32 AM
Tonight will be interesting. Looks like the weather will clear up around 8 pm, hopefully the pitch does not become too much of a mess.

Mr. Inbetween
04-29-2023, 10:32 AM
Huh?

https://twitter.com/TouchlineTFC/status/1652091654289907714

Kamp Berg
04-29-2023, 10:39 AM
Huh?

https://twitter.com/TouchlineTFC/status/1652091654289907714

I think he’s basically stating that their is not a #1 striker, they all have to compete for minutes.

Mr. Inbetween
04-29-2023, 10:52 AM
Ok. Understood. Thanks. Get question was likely skewed towards the yutes? Still, Diomande not mentioned in reply/clip.

jloome
04-29-2023, 11:01 AM
What actually happened here is someone asked him a generic question about his strikers... so he just described them.

There was no answer to an actual question here.

He's like that. If you ask him something generic, you'll get a generic answer. Someone asked him what his striker situation was, which is a meaningless and stupid question, so he's answered it honestly but said nothing new in the process.

If someone had asked, is Sapong your week-in-and-out starter, he'd have probably given a more elucidating response.

Mr. Inbetween
04-29-2023, 11:51 AM
The last time the Leafs won a playoff round, TFC didn't even exist… perspective. We are only six years removed from winning a championship and it's a safe bet TFC will win another one before the Leaf's do.:hump:

Preeeach! Unbelievable? Yet… true! Since the ‘04-‘05 season lockout/cancelation.

Richard
04-29-2023, 11:56 AM
The Leafs are basically Tottenham.

Congrats to TBay on winning the Stanley Cup, I see they took a good look at the Boston Bruin blueprint. 100% expect the Leafs to bottle it.

los sonadores
04-29-2023, 01:04 PM
What actually happened here is someone asked him a generic question about his strikers... so he just described them.

There was no answer to an actual question here.

He's like that. If you ask him something generic, you'll get a generic answer. Someone asked him what his striker situation was, which is a meaningless and stupid question, so he's answered it honestly but said nothing new in the process.

If someone had asked, is Sapong your week-in-and-out starter, he'd have probably given a more elucidating response.

Why do the press people ask such generic non questions? Do they want to produce more materiel to choose from (ie.a generic question about several guys is likely to be a long answer)?

Probably BB didn’t say anything about Sapong and Diomande because he’s talked about them recently and specifically. He spoke at length about why he traded for Sapong and what he sees as his qualities. And he’s also said that he’s not looking for Sapong to replace Diomande who is coming along and they expect to give them minutes maybe even today.

So he was speaking here about the guys whose roles he hasn’t talked about lately. Interesting to know that Ayo played wide in preseason. Which is why he got the first shot at replacing Insigne in DC….

jloome
04-29-2023, 02:06 PM
Why do the press people ask such generic non questions? ….

Often they don't know any better. They don't recognize the importance of specificity and preparation.

Sometimes, if they're vets, it's that they sense that the coach in question can be touchy, and only wants in-depth questions that are positive, and will react with vitriol to anything that isn't either positive or generic.

Some coaches are quite open and play the game. Others feel its intrusive to ask tactical questions; they don't really want anyone understanding the process fully because they want as little info out there as possible for opposition. That's one reason why, for example, clubs often just report a "lower body injury" rather than a sprained ankle or pulled groin, because they want to make the opponents' personnel planning as difficult as possible.

It's all a bit silly, really.

I'm really surprised "do you forsee Sapong being your regular starter or it a rotational policy," is such a hard one to ask.

nfitz
04-29-2023, 03:13 PM
Il pleutNon, mais il sera frette.

Gringo Starr
04-29-2023, 03:22 PM
Il pleut

on gagne quand il pleut

jloome
04-29-2023, 04:42 PM
on gagne quand il pleut

Didn't help us much in Philly.

MikeForbes
04-29-2023, 05:42 PM
Sapong starts.

https://twitter.com/TorontoFC/status/1652443638775816194?s=20

OgtheDim
04-29-2023, 05:42 PM
Hmm...Insigne as captain

Mr. Inbetween
04-29-2023, 05:56 PM
I like this line-up. Let’s see what happens. Perhaps MAK as the single pivot or Coello and Servania in a double?

MikeForbes
04-29-2023, 05:59 PM
I like this line-up. Let’s see what happens. Perhaps MAK as the single pivot or Coello and Servania in a double?

I would think it is a flat 4-3-3. Maybe Servania and Kaye have a bit more of the defensive responsibility.

Amir.
04-29-2023, 05:59 PM
hopefully midfield performs well...otherwise bradley has to act fast and drop insigne there

Kamp Berg
04-29-2023, 06:05 PM
Has anyone know what’s up with Michael Bradley?

jloome
04-29-2023, 06:08 PM
Has anyone know what’s up with Michael Bradley?

Sprained ankle (medial collateral ligaments).

EDIT: Knee has an MCL as well, so could be that, too.

MikeForbes
04-29-2023, 06:09 PM
Also worth noting this is a huge game for Sean Johnson. I expect him to stand on his head.

OgtheDim
04-29-2023, 06:14 PM
Hedges back is huge.

Can that midfield deal with the press is my question.

J-Man
04-29-2023, 06:17 PM
What Channel is the game on

Kamp Berg
04-29-2023, 06:18 PM
Sprained ankle (medial collateral ligaments).

EDIT: Knee has an MCL as well, so could be that, too.

Thank you

SenorDingDong
04-29-2023, 06:23 PM
Hmm...Insigne as captain

He was captain at Napoli?

With no MB or Osorio it does leave a big question as to who would get it.

This game will be won or lost with the midfield.

OgtheDim
04-29-2023, 06:26 PM
What Channel is the game on

Apple only

Mr. Inbetween
04-29-2023, 06:33 PM
Spoke too soon on the line-up. Franklin for Petretta.

MikeForbes
04-29-2023, 06:36 PM
Sands and Parks is a tough match-up for our midfield.

MikeForbes
04-29-2023, 06:38 PM
This alarm had me looking all around my apartment for random kid's toys.

benito
04-29-2023, 06:39 PM
I wonder if the pregame fireworks set it off?? It seemed liked more smoke than usual.

MikeForbes
04-29-2023, 06:41 PM
Is there a bomb threat or some shit?

MikeForbes
04-29-2023, 06:42 PM
Gonna need some liquor if this is how the game is gonna start.

James17930
04-29-2023, 06:45 PM
What happened? Fire alarm?

benito
04-29-2023, 06:45 PM
They announced that the fire department is going to investigate the alarm and then the game will start.

MikeForbes
04-29-2023, 06:47 PM
Random thought after watching a 20 seconds of NE/Cincinnati - is that the worst turf ever?

MikeForbes
04-29-2023, 06:58 PM
Mark Anthony Kaye's first touch might legit be the worst I have ever seen.

Amir.
04-29-2023, 06:59 PM
kaye loses two balls easily inside the first three minutes

Amir.
04-29-2023, 07:01 PM
hes now lost four balls in five minutes

MikeForbes
04-29-2023, 07:01 PM
CJ Sapong has already contributed more than Perruzza, Ayo and Kerr.

OgtheDim
04-29-2023, 07:04 PM
Hmmm.... a centre forward doing CF things

RealG-TFC
04-29-2023, 07:07 PM
What a difference Sapong is already making.

MikeForbes
04-29-2023, 07:09 PM
Hmmm.... a centre forward doing CF things

After 10 minutes it is amazing to see the difference an actual number 9 can do. Sapong at 34 isn't the long term answer, but he can more than help us this year.

MikeForbes
04-29-2023, 07:12 PM
The midfield is very fluid. Alonso seems to be sitting the deepest, but Kaye and Servania are both putting in some miles so far.

jloome
04-29-2023, 07:15 PM
Someone needs to tell her what a push is and what a shoulder barge is

OgtheDim
04-29-2023, 07:16 PM
You trip a guy it's a foul.... geez

MikeForbes
04-29-2023, 07:20 PM
Hope Perruzza and Ayo are watching CJ right now. Being a striker is so much more complicated than just scoring a goal. The hold up play, the runs to draw defenders and ability to create space is so much more important and will lead to you banging home 10-12 goals.

MikeForbes
04-29-2023, 07:23 PM
Kobe Franklin is doing really well.

Mr. Inbetween
04-29-2023, 07:27 PM
Lollo and Coello. Something/a connection there.

MikeForbes
04-29-2023, 07:30 PM
Insigne and Sapong ❤️

James17930
04-29-2023, 07:31 PM
After 10 minutes it is amazing to see the difference an actual number 9 can do. Sapong at 34 isn't the long term answer, but he can more than help us this year.

It's night and day.

OgtheDim
04-29-2023, 07:32 PM
New York letting us play our game.

Need a goal

James17930
04-29-2023, 07:33 PM
What are all the light green patches on the pitch? Are they paint or something?

MikeForbes
04-29-2023, 07:36 PM
I do legitimately feel that if we had Delgado (I know he wanted a trade) and the GAM we traded for Kaye we would be a much better team. I hate being so negative about the guy, but the midfield is such a problem area.

Mr. Inbetween
04-29-2023, 07:36 PM
Coello… a volante? Shuttling that ball effectively so far.

Amir.
04-29-2023, 07:42 PM
solid first half...what this team is missing currently? michael bradley...would probably be up a goal or two with what he brings offensively and how he can connect with the italians

jloome
04-29-2023, 07:44 PM
That strange , almost alien sensation you may be feeling is called "hope".

i know, weird shit eh?

OgtheDim
04-29-2023, 07:48 PM
Need more service into Sapong

MikeForbes
04-29-2023, 07:49 PM
solid first half...what this team is missing currently? michael bradley...would probably be up a goal or two with what he brings offensively and how he can connect with the italians

I went and looked. How many games do you think TFC have won in the past 18 months that Michael Bradley has played?

Oldtimer
04-29-2023, 07:53 PM
Based on the endless talk on this board about what an idiot BB was to bring in an "aged" player like Sapong, I was almost expecting him to show up with a walker.

Actually he looks quite fast for his advanced age, and a major upgrade to Akinola. Plays well with Insigne too.

Mr. Inbetween
04-29-2023, 07:53 PM
That strange , almost alien sensation you may be feeling is called "hope". i know, weird shit eh?

’Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things…’

stevep
04-29-2023, 07:54 PM
I went and looked. How many games do you think TFC have won in the past 18 months that Michael Bradley has played?
That’s irrelevant to the current situation of this game

wopchop
04-29-2023, 07:54 PM
Based on the endless talk on this board about what an idiot BB was to bring in an "aged" player like Sapong, I was almost expecting him to show up with a walker.

Actually he looks quite fast for his advanced age, and a major upgrade to Akinola. Plays well with Insigne too.

No kidding. Night and day compared to what we had.

JoesphNdo
04-29-2023, 07:55 PM
We look 50 times better with insigine on the team and playing on the wing. It's the difference between looking like bottom feeders and that half where I thought we were really quite good. Credit to Sapong, too, he's made a difference

MikeForbes
04-29-2023, 07:55 PM

People tend to scoff at MLS lifers like Sapong, but they are so important.

MikeForbes
04-29-2023, 07:56 PM
CJ season, baby!

JoesphNdo
04-29-2023, 07:56 PM
Sapong for golden boot!? I, for one, never doubted this signing. Never!

jloome
04-29-2023, 07:57 PM
Need more service into Sapong
Yep!

MikeForbes
04-29-2023, 07:57 PM
That’s irrelevant to the current situation of this game

True. We scored without Michael Bradley!

Amir.
04-29-2023, 07:58 PM
laa-yay to sapong who scores in his first game...what a way to start the second...now gotta keep going and bradley then has to make the right subs at the right time

MikeForbes
04-29-2023, 07:59 PM
The Richie dilemma is going to carry right into July. The guy is either a DP or heading back to Europe.

jloome
04-29-2023, 08:02 PM

To be fair, Nashville fans made him sound crocked. He looks excellent so far.

MikeForbes
04-29-2023, 08:03 PM
I'll be devastated if we don't win this.

JoesphNdo
04-29-2023, 08:06 PM
I'll be devastated if we don't win this.

Honestly funnily enough I wouldn't mind nearly as much. It feels great to watch them play this way after the start to the reason, if we can keep this up the results will come. There'll be tougher tests for sure but we've looked quietly really quite good. The performance is the main thing, we needed to come out and look like a decent outfit and we have so far

OgtheDim
04-29-2023, 08:09 PM
Hope

Score brings joy

Followed quickly by doubt

Man the PTSD is bad

MikeForbes
04-29-2023, 08:09 PM
Servania and Alonso have quietly run this match. Even Kaye has grown into his role.

MikeForbes
04-29-2023, 08:13 PM
When was the last time we had a 9 who was as involved as CJ? 2017 Jozy? 2021 Mullinho?

ronzilla
04-29-2023, 08:19 PM
One goal lead not enough. Need another.

Amir.
04-29-2023, 08:21 PM
alert to bradley: midfield tired and late to their players

MikeForbes
04-29-2023, 08:26 PM
Nashville is legit our sister squad. We give them an underutilized talent in Shaff that works great with their MVP DP, they give us a grizzled MLS vet that perfectly suits our DPs.

OgtheDim
04-29-2023, 08:26 PM
Need to adjust something in the Midfield - can't maintain possession anymore.

MikeForbes
04-29-2023, 08:28 PM
Need to adjust something in the Midfield - can't maintain possession anymore.

We are really short on midfield subs. Kosi is the only obvious guy to come on there

Amir.
04-29-2023, 08:31 PM
again bradley waiting too long to make subs...lets see if a price is paid in this one

MikeForbes
04-29-2023, 08:33 PM
Servania putting in the work.

MikeForbes
04-29-2023, 08:35 PM
No call for mugging Lorenzo?

OgtheDim
04-29-2023, 08:36 PM
Brutal MLS approach to pushes as fouls

James17930
04-29-2023, 08:43 PM
again bradley waiting too long to make subs...lets see if a price is paid in this one

Seriously. Ridiculous.

Mr. Inbetween
Did Talles Magno just give ‘the finger’ to his teammate Chanot?

ronzilla
Anyone else have out of sync audio? The announcer is always a few seconds ahead of play.

ag futbol
04-29-2023, 08:45 PM
Sweet! Nice to see us bag one.

Looking forward to watching the tape later tonight.

Amir.
04-29-2023, 08:45 PM
congrats to the team on the three points...keep building

James17930
04-29-2023, 08:46 PM
Finally. Much needed.

So that's the Jays and TFC winning so far today. Can the Leafs make it a trifecta?

MikeForbes
04-29-2023, 08:46 PM
Yes, boy! We deserved and needed that. I talked about the difference between CJ and all of our other CFs, but how about Matt fucking Hedges against Lukas McNaughton?

jloome
04-29-2023, 08:47 PM
Sigh of relief.

A complete performance for the first time in a long time. Big difference with a number nine.

OgtheDim
04-29-2023, 08:48 PM
Yeh, Matt Hedges & Sean Johnson just makes me feel like we are not going to give up a stupid goal.

Mr. Inbetween
04-29-2023, 08:52 PM
New York letting us play our game…

Maybe. But then that could mean, TFC let Philadelphia play theirs?

Richard
04-29-2023, 08:52 PM
Hopefully that kicks off our season.

MikeForbes
04-29-2023, 08:53 PM
Hedges and Rosted could be our best CB pairing since 2019 Omar/Mavinga.

OgtheDim
04-29-2023, 08:56 PM
Hedges and Rosted could be our best CB pairing since 2019 Omar/Mavinga.

Better then that...those 2 always seemed 1 brain fart away from giving up a goal.

oranje boven
04-29-2023, 08:57 PM
Solid game… CJ big upgrade if one game counts. Hedges is such an important piece. Here is hoping Coello has a future.

Yuushalinsky
04-29-2023, 08:58 PM
Complete game today, NYCFC looked awful but we were never really challenged

ag futbol
04-29-2023, 08:58 PM
Omar was always a single 1v1 situation away from being skinned alive. I’m shocked we were able to hide how bad he was as effectively as we did.

SenorDingDong
04-29-2023, 09:02 PM
Insigne had a great match. I thought he looked much stronger tonight then Berna.

Our attack is so much more fluid and fast moving with him.

Let's get 3 more next week and then we can begin the season.

Oldtimer
04-29-2023, 09:04 PM
To be fair, Nashville fans made him sound crocked. He looks excellent so far.

Often players look bad because of having the wrong players around them, the wrong system, or off the pitch factors. I tend to take what opposition fans say with a huge grain of salt.

Oldtimer
04-29-2023, 09:06 PM
Insigne had a great match. I thought he looked much stronger tonight then Berna.

Insigne played better with Sapong too. We needed a good #9 to better unlock his potential.

SenorDingDong
04-29-2023, 09:07 PM
Often players look bad because of having the wrong players around them, the wrong system, or off the pitch factors. I tend to take what opposition fans say with a huge grain of salt.

He was an absolute work horse tonight too. Tracking back to mid to get the ball, laying it up for Berna / Insigne. To have instant chemistry like that with Insigne and the team... I mean no other striker has been able to do that so far.

jloome
04-29-2023, 09:09 PM

I thought Bernie was really solid too, just not as dominant. He was much improved defensively this week.

James17930
04-29-2023, 09:21 PM
I thought Bernie was really solid too, just not as dominant. He was much improved defensively this week.

He definitely tracked back a lot more.

Smokecell
04-29-2023, 09:25 PM
Lots of positives tonight. Have to start by saying how important Hedges is to this club.

If you didn’t tell me Sapong was 34 I might not know the wiser. Thought he played the role very well.

Worth mention that it was nice to see Berna and Lolo track back a bit more regularly tonight, especially the former.

Not a perfect match by any stretch but you take that result over the balance of a season.

OgtheDim
04-29-2023, 09:30 PM
CF goal....I think the last player who did this sort of thing or us was Koevs

https://twitter.com/TorontoFC/status/1652479521814085632

jloome
04-29-2023, 09:34 PM
CF goal....I think the last player who did this sort of thing or us was Koevs

https://twitter.com/TorontoFC/status/1652479521814085632

Bernadeschi doing well to pull the defender wide on the goal, too.

Toronto Funk
04-29-2023, 09:43 PM
Just got back from the game. Alonso Coello is the real thing! Amazing passing today and solid tackles. Found Insigne and Berna on the wings so many times with beautifully weighted passes. Keep an eye on this one!

OgtheDim
04-29-2023, 09:46 PM
Just got back from the game. Alonso Coello is the real thing! Amazing passing today and solid tackles. Found Insigne and Berna on the wings so many times with beautifully weighted passes. Keep an eye on this one!

Interesting stats lines for Coello & Franklin tonight

https://www.torontofc.ca/competitions/mls-regular-season/2023/matches/torvsnyc-04-29-2023/stats

jloome
04-29-2023, 10:03 PM
Interesting stats lines for Coello & Franklin tonight

https://www.torontofc.ca/competitions/mls-regular-season/2023/matches/torvsnyc-04-29-2023/stats

They both have exceptional vision. Franklin had an excellent, clever little pass in the second half where he spotted an outlet man in the middle at just a weird angle and it just broke them down very quickly. Coello reads ahead really well. They both do, so when the ball gets there they always have a safe outlet.

They both looked the real deal tonight.

Gringo Starr
04-29-2023, 10:36 PM
Great game from Insigne tonight, i hope going forward the guys send him passes he can run onto, seemed like everything was behind him tonight.

khso11
04-29-2023, 10:45 PM
Stand outs today was CJ, not because only he scored, his holdup play was amazing, he probably retrieved almost 80% of the 50/50 long balls. Some people think speed is relevant to age…..this ain’t a video game, not all players are like that. He is probably physically better than all the strikers we have on the team right now.

Coello, 1-2 mispasses but otherwise the extremely accurate long passes was amazing to see. We lacked that since Cheyrou retired, not sure why MB can’t do that, that used to be his speciality.

Franklin, I thought he played very solid today, both a nice balance of attack and defence. Might need some work on defending crosses, otherwise very impressed by him.

Not sure why BB took forever to make subs. Dio came on 5-10 minutes too late I think. Expected better on his in-game mgmt.

Mr. Inbetween
04-29-2023, 11:58 PM
FYI…

https://twitter.com/Total_TFC/status/1652508434762276871p

MDH
04-30-2023, 12:15 AM
Great match overall. Bernie did nothing offensively and we won. Oso and Bradley were missing and we bossed the midfield. It felt like watching a real football team tonight. The space Sapong and the Italians are going to give each other gave me hope for a happier summer.

Mr. Inbetween
04-30-2023, 12:19 AM
http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/blob:http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/c00e4401-ffcf-461d-8c13-99bce2fc7635Seems Talles Magno did give ‘the finger’ to his teammate Chanot. :)

Should/will he be fined and/or suspended?

https://twitter.com/idiffidatiTFC/status/1652573773583769600

James17930
04-30-2023, 02:39 AM
http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/blob:http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/c00e4401-ffcf-461d-8c13-99bce2fc7635Seems Talles Magno did give ‘the finger’ to his teammate Chanot. :)

Should/will he be fined and/or suspended?

https://twitter.com/idiffidatiTFC/status/1652573773583769600

Benched at the very least.

Though maybe it depends on what Chanot was yelling at him for.

Mr. Inbetween
04-30-2023, 02:48 AM
^
A good Toronto day… a trifecta! :)

los sonadores
04-30-2023, 04:01 AM
No surprise we looked good with an actual 9. And as for the ‘he’s too old’ or “he’s an underwhelming choice”, he looked good against us two weeks ago and he’s a good player. More than that he’s a player we desperately needed.

Coelho’s best game. Franklin looked good in his first start. Hedges and Rosted good as usual. Ritchie, Bernie, Insigne… we’re a good team. We should be able to beat New England at home.

los sonadores
04-30-2023, 04:20 AM
Just a recap from a post of mine a couple of days ago. Richie more or less describing our goal today:

“Richie said "[Sapong] is tough to play against. He's very active, constantly moving, making runs. He's very good within the box, and at getting his body and foot to things. ... He can score off a header; obviously anything cut back or whipped across the box, he's in and around those areas.”

benito
04-30-2023, 06:24 AM
Benched at the very least.

Though maybe it depends on what Chanot was yelling at him for.

They were going at each other for quite a few minutes. Chanot was screaming at him going up and down the field.

nick.mastro
04-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Anyone see who wore the captain band?

ag futbol
04-30-2023, 07:06 AM
- officiating awful
- Sapong is the type of player we’ve needed at striker (don’t love the trade but nonetheless). I have to question why we didn’t pursue a real target man earlier. Akinola, Jimenez, even Dio’s style of play to a certain extent, not what we ever needed up top.
- Franklin did well at RB. Not perfect but lively. If he can build on these performances he’ll be the starter eventually.
- Kaye still looks out of sorts. I would drop him from the starting lineup once the other kids are healthy.
- Coello was good, organized.
- NYCFC looked a little weak in areas and I’m sure that helped some players catch on. But nonetheless, best performance of the season for TFC.
- We need to drop some serious cash on a box-to-box mid. If we had someone with power, pace, and attacking ability in there it would allow the rest of the group to raise their level. Some of Kaye, Osorio, or Bradley (eventually) would be surplus.

ensco
04-30-2023, 07:49 AM
Coello is one of the most interesting and maybe exciting things going on at TFC this year.

Also Richie's ball on the goal. So often you see those last balls played in ways that are not effective. But there, so perfect, drawing it a little back like that.

*chefs kiss*

OgtheDim
04-30-2023, 08:06 AM
Interviews

https://www.torontofc.ca/video/postgame-sound-bob-bradley-april-29-2023#postgame-sound-bob-bradley-april-29-2023

https://www.torontofc.ca/video/postgame-sound-bob-bradley-april-29-2023#postgame-sound-c-j-sapong-april-29-2023

Sapong sounds like he might be able to figure this one out - his issue always has been attention span & what happens after 4-5 games so we will see - maybe playing with some high functioning & high expecting team mates will keep him focused

Tidbit in the BB interview near the end - importance of the first guy tackling/addressing the ball carrier - good view of how BB wants the team to set up defensively
&
"We can still get sharper in the attacking third"

Prof
04-30-2023, 08:09 AM
No surprise we looked good with an actual 9. And as for the ‘he’s too old’ or “he’s an underwhelming choice”, he looked good against us two weeks ago and he’s a good player. More than that he’s a player we desperately needed.

Coelho’s best game. Franklin looked good in his first start. Hedges and Rosted good as usual. Ritchie, Bernie, Insigne… we’re a good team. We should be able to beat New England at home.

I agree everyone played well and the boys had a strong performance. The only weak link was MAK. Too many first touch errors. Oso, Coelho and Servania in the mid going forward.:hump:

Mr. Inbetween
04-30-2023, 08:12 AM
Anyone see who wore the captain band?

As SuperMario calls him… Lorenziello.

Mr. Inbetween
04-30-2023, 08:31 AM
…The only weak link was MAK. Too many first touch errors…

I understand this and agree with you and others on this; glaring at the start of the match. TBF, my eye test also suggested, he was hustling, pressing, working to close down with others the opponents offensive movements. I too would like to see a Osorio, Coello, Servania at the mid line. I just don’t know if TFC would get a better/more ‘defensive’ performance from Osorio; I believe it’s been less and less frequent since he has turned one of those in. Although, offensively Osorio’s output/contribution on the pitch over MAK’s is not in question for me.

nick.mastro
04-30-2023, 08:47 AM
As SuperMario calls him… Lorenziello.

Should have been our man Bernie !

Ultra & Proud
04-30-2023, 08:53 AM
Although, offensively Osorio’s output/contribution on the pitch over MAK’s is not in question for me.

Not this season though. He's been worse than Kaye and pretty much our worst midfielder so far. Not sure if it's post concussion effect or he had this MCL issue dragging on until he shut it down but he's looked terrible pretty consistently in 2023.

Hala Hrvatska
04-30-2023, 10:17 AM
3 points. Crucial. On we go.

Gringo Starr
04-30-2023, 10:37 AM
Should have been our man Bernie !

LI was every bit the captain yesterday, kept asking for balls to be played ahead of him-passes would go behind but he would still give the thumbs up or applaud the effort, he was telling CJ when to press, he was engaging with fans along the sidelines in game, he got into it with nyc players in a scrum, led the guys to the south post match. The effort was non stop.

jloome
04-30-2023, 10:54 AM
LI was every bit the captain yesterday, kept asking for balls to be played ahead of him-passes would go behind but he would still give the thumbs up or applaud the effort, he was telling CJ when to press, he was engaging with fans along the sidelines in game, he got into it with nyc players in a scrum, led the guys to the south post match. The effort was non stop.

He was challenging Bernie to be better on switches, too. Twice, he skied the ball well over Insigne's head, and both times he gave him the "good effort, right idea" clap...but vociferously, and for longer than normal. As in "yeah, right idea, but..."

Insigne was more adventurous on the dribble as well. He had his first burst of pace back, and two or three times he just split the left side to pieces with a couple of touches.

Bushmancan
04-30-2023, 11:23 AM
- Kaye still looks out of sorts. I would drop him from the starting lineup once the other kids are healthy.

On the Kaye front, his first touch and passing is sometimes very dangerous but i give him credit he ran the whole night. And pressured at the right times, i wonder how many kilometres he put in last night.

Bushmancan
04-30-2023, 11:26 AM

^ this.. i saw that as well. He also gave his game shirt to a fan after, so did Fede (to a kid) and Richie

Mr. Inbetween
04-30-2023, 11:29 AM
^^^
Leaders… encourage, push and demand, yet can be more than a colleague and teammate or Captain, they can be a friend and brother-in-arms…

https://twitter.com/TorontoFC/status/1652494180105572354

CBTFC
04-30-2023, 11:52 AM
3 points. Crucial. On we go.

That's what matters most for me. We really needed a clean sheet victory. I really don't care how we got it.

And thankfully for us the East is a complete log jam. In the next couple of games we could jump up several spots in the standings.

Time to focus on Saturday vs New England and I'm excited to see where this team goes next

Prof
04-30-2023, 12:36 PM
I understand this and agree with you and others on this; glaring at the start of the match. TBF, my eye test also suggested, he was hustling, pressing, working to close down with others the opponents offensive movements. I too would like to see a Osorio, Coello, Servania at the mid line. I just don’t know if TFC would get a better/more ‘defensive’ performance from Osorio; I believe it’s been less and less frequent since he has turned one of those in. Although, offensively Osorio’s output/contribution on the pitch over MAK’s is not in question for me.

I do agree with your assessment. MAK does bring the other qualities that perhaps Oso does not have. It is a good situation to have though, guys who are competent fighting for spots. Onward and upward we go.

Canary10
04-30-2023, 02:17 PM
I thought Sapong worked his ass off up front. That’s a big benefit. Scoring a goal too is the cherry on top. Hope he keeps it up.

SenorDingDong
04-30-2023, 02:29 PM
I do agree with your assessment. MAK does bring the other qualities that perhaps Oso does not have. It is a good situation to have though, guys who are competent fighting for spots. Onward and upward we go.

MAK can't be dropped right now as we have no other defensive midfielder. Maybe MB, but he's slow.

Lining up with Coelho, Osorio and Servania is too offensive.

I get MAK is limited in offense, but defensively he hustles and tackles.
We do need another CDM or box to box CM in July.

Right now I view MB / Coelo is playing the same spot. Both are good moving the ball forward.

Osorio I'm not sure where he fits, maybe sub for Servania?

los sonadores
04-30-2023, 02:46 PM

This was great to see. And no frustration from him at all. I expect him to settle well into his role and into the league this season.

In other notes, Franklin wasn’t perfect, yes, but very good for a first start that he didn’t know about until Petretta left the warmup injured. He was relatively careful, keeping it simple but not just touchline simple. He didn’t look timid and was always calling for the ball and usually doing something useful with it.

MAK seemed like he gave a middling performance… he needs to be and can be better but he was active and fighting and also got forward a few times and had a couple of decent chance at goal.

We were doing the pressing which meant Coello often had some time on the ball unlike last time he played in Michael’s position.

los sonadores
04-30-2023, 02:56 PM
Interviews

https://www.torontofc.ca/video/postgame-sound-bob-bradley-april-29-2023#postgame-sound-bob-bradley-april-29-2023

https://www.torontofc.ca/video/postgame-sound-bob-bradley-april-29-2023#postgame-sound-c-j-sapong-april-29-2023

Sapong sounds like he might be able to figure this one out - his issue always has been attention span & what happens after 4-5 games so we will see - maybe playing with some high functioning & high expecting team mates will keep him focused

Tidbit in the BB interview near the end - importance of the first guy tackling/addressing the ball carrier - good view of how BB wants the team to set up defensively
&
"We can still get sharper in the attacking third"

Thanks, haven’t listened to it yet but what you noted of that first BB comment sounds very much like the way his LAFC team played.

Sapong has got to love playing between Insigne and Bernie. Also he said he loves the city and the stadium so hopefully all of that will keep him engaged. Scoring or not scoring he can still contribute a lot. I’m eager to see Diamonde as well. Between the two of them we should have something workable.

MikeForbes
04-30-2023, 03:35 PM
Still buzzing from this win. Hedges and Siggy were so, so good. I also think Servania was quietly excellent.

los sonadores
04-30-2023, 06:19 PM
Sapong was MLS rookie of the year as a winger and spent his first four seasons in that position. It wasn’t until he moved to Philly that he was converted to a striker. He still has Philly’s single season goal scoring record (16).

Despite not scoring much last season in Nashville he won the most duels (208) and most aerial duels (127) of all strikers in MLS.

Mr. Inbetween
05-02-2023, 07:34 AM
Hmmm… Any delay of match experienced here? I wonder if their fire alarm was triggered and their fire department showed up?

https://twitter.com/eurofootcom/status/1652950514714263552

Crazy! More from…

‘Inside!’
https://twitter.com/fisch_no1/status/1653003310813569024

&

‘Underneath!’
https://twitter.com/WolfiKrenn/status/1653107210321289236

Oldtimer
05-02-2023, 07:57 AM
Sapong was MLS rookie of the year as a winger and spent his first four seasons in that position. It wasn’t until he moved to Philly that he was converted to a striker. He still has Philly’s single season goal scoring record (16).

Despite not scoring much last season in Nashville he won the most duels (208) and most aerial duels (127) of all strikers in MLS.

I remember him being pretty good for Philly. Based on his first outing for TFC he looks like a pretty good #9 still. Maybe not a long-term solution but certainly for now and maybe next year too.

Auzzy
05-02-2023, 01:32 PM
Bernie and CJ both did great runs on the goal. It's so much better when the opposition has multiple things to worry about.

los sonadores
05-04-2023, 12:57 AM
Bernie and CJ both did great runs on the goal. It's so much better when the opposition has multiple things to worry about.

So true. And on the CJ subject, I was surprised by how soft his feet were. Not Jozy soft, but to judge by his touch and passing it looks like he can really play. He and Insigne were good together.