PDA

View Full Version : Edu shines on the back line

Oldtimer
08-07-2008, 12:27 PM
US beat Japan 1-0, due in part to an outstanding game by TFC's Edu:

Yet if the U.S. attack was akin to a LeRoy Neiman painting, the defensive effort was closer to Picasso, with converted midfielder Maurice Edu delivering a mammoth performance at the center of the American back line.

"I don't think [Edu] lost a tackle all game," said fellow defender Michael Parkhurst, who delivered a capable performance of his own. "It seemed like every time he was in a one-on-one situation, he came out on top. He was real strong, read the game well, and overall he had a solid game."

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=560764&sec=us&root=us&&cc=5901

Maybe his play with the US team will have Carver consider playing him back for TFC, as well.

Roogsy
08-07-2008, 12:29 PM
I like that idea.

So the US is playing in as a back instead of a HM?

DigzTFC!
08-07-2008, 12:30 PM
I think this is where his future lies in europe and he should consider being converted to a CB while at TFC. It gives us a mobile CB that can pass out of the back, and prevents him from being shit in the midfield.

MisterMacphisto
08-07-2008, 12:32 PM
Good on our boys... Now lose and come home. :)

Flashman
08-07-2008, 12:36 PM
I had also read, I believe on SBI, that Wynne was by all accounts man-of-the-match, and played a D. Mid role, so go figure.

Nodoubtguy
08-07-2008, 12:37 PM
well hopefully this ups his trade value if he keeps his poor play while wearing a TFC kit

TFC Tifoso
08-07-2008, 12:39 PM
He could play like Franz Beckenbauer in a USA shirt.....point being he's been shit for TFC this year.

Roogsy
08-07-2008, 12:41 PM
It just seems like he plays with a fire in his belly for the US, but for us...it's sort of half-assed.

Steve
08-07-2008, 12:42 PM
I wouldn't mind if Edu made a transition to the back for us. He's been doing shit all in the mid, so it can't hurt. With Edu/Marshall at CB, Brennan and Wynne playing WB, a diamond formation mid, and Barrett playing with ? (new striker? DP? Please?), we could be pretty solid.

GabrielHurl
08-07-2008, 12:42 PM
Was speaking to a couple of friends this morning from the US and they said he was shit - easily the worst US player on the day.

DigzTFC!
08-07-2008, 12:47 PM
He did have that blunder at CB during the game against Vancouver that tied the match. I don't know why this guy gets so much hype. Why don't they give it too bradley who had a monster year in Holland

DigzTFC!
08-07-2008, 12:48 PM
He did have that blunder at CB during the game against Vancouver that tied the match. I don't know why this guy gets so much hype. Why don't they give it too bradley who had a monster year in Holland

Stryker
08-07-2008, 01:04 PM
Was speaking to a couple of friends this morning from the US and they said he was shit - easily the worst US player on the day.
Now thats the Edu I know.

bgnewf
08-07-2008, 01:10 PM
As a TFC fan I do not get one simple thing. Why would TFC fans be interested in any way to support the US Team in anything other than losing it's games and allowing us to get our players back as quickly as possible?

And with the Dutch and Nigerians drawing 1-1 earlier, this means that the US team is pretty likely to qualify for the second round. We might lose Mo and Marvell for an extra week because of what happened today!

How in the fuck can this be construed to TFC fans as anything but bad news? Either the piece on the TFC site was written by some league office PR hack or Michelle Lissell does not have a clue.

jloome
08-07-2008, 02:19 PM
Either the piece on the TFC site was written by some league office PR hack or Michelle Lissell does not have a clue.

See: other thread on fox sports world. This should surprise no one; as I've said before, after 20 years in media including about half that as an assignment editor, I'm amazed at how poorly communications for both this team and the league in general are handled. The lack of proactivity in getting coverage and building positive press and relationships is almost infuriating, given how much more could be done without harming team confidentiality.

Right now, media is in a state of total flux as traditional forms learn how to use the internet to get their stories out and build an advertising base. Companies have cut their staffs to the bare mininum, and they'll take all the help they can get. But very few organizations seem to realize it because they tend to hire the least aggressive former media people as their communications staff, people who've never broke a story or developed an in-depth coverage strategy in their life. They get less than they pay for, as a result.

bgnewf
08-07-2008, 02:42 PM
See: other thread on fox sports world. This should surprise no one; as I've said before, after 20 years in media including about half that as an assignment editor, I'm amazed at how poorly communications for both this team and the league in general are handled. The lack of proactivity in getting coverage and building positive press and relationships is almost infuriating, given how much more could be done without harming team confidentiality.

Right now, media is in a state of total flux as traditional forms learn how to use the internet to get their stories out and build an advertising base. Companies have cut their staffs to the bare mininum, and they'll take all the help they can get. But very few organizations seem to realize it because they tend to hire the least aggressive former media people as their communications staff, people who've never broke a story or developed an in-depth coverage strategy in their life. They get less than they pay for, as a result.

I could not agree more. If TFC actually put some effort into having a few staffers who would "help" tradional media understand what is going on then people like Mike Toth, that wanker who wrote the piece about the Columbus trip in the National Post and other scribes who know just enough to be misinformed would be in the minoroty whwere they belong.

TFC Tifoso
08-07-2008, 02:59 PM
I could not agree more. If TFC actually put some effort into having a few staffers who would "help" tradional media understand what is going on then people like Mike Toth, that wanker who wrote the piece about the Columbus trip in the National Post and other scribes who know just enough to be misinformed would be in the minoroty whwere they belong.

Nah, I don't think it would help much, man. Idiots like these made up their minds about TFC and the sport a long time ago. You'd think that the fact that its already the most watched sport in the world would clue them in.....they're just ignorant fools.

Ron Manager
08-07-2008, 03:39 PM
So, maybe we could use Edu to help at the back...look at the Simpson guy to play DMid (he can also play up front and left wing I believe) then another striker. Could this benefit us?

Jimmy The Saint
08-07-2008, 04:00 PM
Apperntly Wynne setup the u.s goal with a beautiful cross....

....wtf?

GabrielHurl
08-07-2008, 04:24 PM
Apperntly Wynne setup the u.s goal with a beautiful cross....

....wtf?

if by beautiful cross - you mean a cross that was half cleared by a Japanese defender to a US player - then yes it was

http://www.fliggo.com/video/ByjyY0gh

jloome
08-07-2008, 05:17 PM
Nah, I don't think it would help much, man. Idiots like these made up their minds about TFC and the sport a long time ago. You'd think that the fact that its already the most watched sport in the world would clue them in.....they're just ignorant fools.

On traditional sports guys like Toth, yes. But there are plenty of young print writers looking for a decent clip or scoop that will still take, and act on, tips from media. And huge swaths of my industry are so vain that any praise -- even in the form of obviously insincere flattery and an accompanying "scoop" that isn't worth much except for its exclusivety -- will get you somewhere.

TFC_Toon
08-07-2008, 05:49 PM
I think this is where his future lies in europe and he should consider being converted to a CB while at TFC. It gives us a mobile CB that can pass out of the back, and prevents him from being shit in the midfield.

Mobility and ball distribution perhaps but I don't think he is a very good header of a ball, a must in that positon.

Just throwing that out there, all speculation I realize.