PDA

View Full Version : Match Day 2 - TFC @ Atlanta - Saturday March 4 7:39 pm - you'd rather love and lost

Pages : [1] 2

OgtheDim
02-27-2023, 12:16 PM
with tears

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WMkhkbF6js&ab_channel=TheWeekndVEVO

Have at It People

MikeForbes
02-27-2023, 12:41 PM
Hoping for an Insigne update today.

Canary10
02-27-2023, 12:53 PM

Does anyone know if there is a schedule of media availability in advance of a game? I like that everyone knows on the Friday before an EPL gameweek that there is manager availability and an opportunity to get injury updates. And the whole thing of people scouring the training pics and videos to see who is in training and who isn't leading up to the Friday. :)

OgtheDim
02-27-2023, 01:13 PM
Does anyone know if there is a schedule of media availability in advance of a game? I like that everyone knows on the Friday before an EPL gameweek that there is manager availability and an opportunity to get injury updates. And the whole thing of people scouring the training pics and videos to see who is in training and who isn't leading up to the Friday. :)

Way it has worked in the past is availability is on Tuesday with the manager & then Thursday with manager & a player. The Tuesday was not guaranteed. Davidson makes a point in the pressers to ask for injury updates.

Yuushalinsky
02-27-2023, 01:22 PM
I am ready to suffer again. Last game I wasn't able to watch due to an engagement.

SenorDingDong
02-27-2023, 01:40 PM
I am ready to suffer again. Last game I wasn't able to watch due to an engagement.

I have bad visions of Thiago Almada vs our mifield.

CBTFC
02-27-2023, 02:15 PM
With this game ONLY on Apple TV (no TSN), will Mill Street be doing an away game showing?? Do they have the ability?

Or any bar for that matter??

Yuushalinsky
02-27-2023, 02:25 PM
With this game ONLY on Apple TV (no TSN), will Mill Street be doing an away game showing?? Do they have the ability?

Or any bar for that matter??

Mill Street will for sure. On /r/mls they were talking about how cheap it was in the states to stream it for a business ($100 apparently), so it shouldn't be too different up here hopefully.

613reppingTFC
02-27-2023, 02:30 PM
Yeah I was actually flipping through the channels yesterday on Bell and 4-5 of the last channels listed were called: MLS season pass (business only)
wonder if they might not even require an apple tv or smart tv or chromecast?

jloome
02-27-2023, 04:32 PM
Yeah I was actually flipping through the channels yesterday on Bell and 4-5 of the last channels listed were called: MLS season pass (business only)
wonder if they might not even require an apple tv or smart tv or chromecast?

Businesses can buy MLS season pass alongside other sports packs and have them delivered via cable box.

They have a massive promotion on for it in the states where it's $100 for a year and they waive the usual extra fees for occupancy and local broadcast rights.

ensco
02-27-2023, 05:50 PM

This silence is starting to feel ominous

jloome
02-27-2023, 06:00 PM

They're figuring out the spin and working on a signing, I imagine. Even if he's out a month, that costs them at the gate and us in the standings.

But they're doubtless aware the larger cost here, which is likely their employment.

You don't spend the most ever on a player in l eague history only for him to end up crocked before he's played a full season. If he missed four to six, and we lose enough games to put us in an early hole, the front office has a worst-case scenario in front of them, reputation wise.

My worry here is that they shelve any plans to do the three u22 dps deal, which is the smart move, given some of the talent out there, and instead rush an older DP to "replace" his draw. Or some other weaselly corporate bullshit like that.

OgtheDim
02-27-2023, 08:12 PM

Not worried at all - we never get injury information right away when there is no midweek game.

Information about injuries only ever comes out when journos have access - likely tomorrow.
They'll say x weeks & it will be x +2.

NK Toronto
02-27-2023, 08:24 PM
They're figuring out the spin and working on a signing, I imagine. Even if he's out a month, that costs them at the gate and us in the standings.

But they're doubtless aware the larger cost here, which is likely their employment.

You don't spend the most ever on a player in l eague history only for him to end up crocked before he's played a full season. If he missed four to six, and we lose enough games to put us in an early hole, the front office has a worst-case scenario in front of them, reputation wise.

My worry here is that they shelve any plans to do the three u22 dps deal, which is the smart move, given some of the talent out there, and instead rush an older DP to "replace" his draw. Or some other weaselly corporate bullshit like that.

I've always felt thar signing a player in his 30's to such a large contract was a high risk move. If Insigne spends more time this season injured then playing, and if the team misses the playoffs again this year then it could spell the end of the Manning era in Toronto.

MikeForbes
02-27-2023, 08:35 PM
Gonna say it is a strained calf, 4-6 weeks estimated tomorrow.

ag futbol
02-27-2023, 08:42 PM
Hey, we’re in first place right now in terms of being the “most experienced team”. We wouldn’t want to put that at risk would we? Lol.

OgtheDim
02-27-2023, 10:09 PM
Hey, we’re in first place right now in terms of being the “most experienced team”. We wouldn’t want to put that at risk would we? Lol.

I saw a figure last week indicating we were actually about 5th in that race....darned if I can find it anymore but IIRC Austin is the oldest team.

ag futbol
02-27-2023, 10:12 PM
I saw a figure last week indicating we were actually about 5th in that race....darned if I can find it anymore but IIRC Austin is the oldest team.
Might be a case of starting 11 vs overall roster. I saw something something somewhere that said we were the oldest, not sure what the measuring stick was

ensco
02-27-2023, 10:44 PM

That would be better than I expect. I didn’t like his body language coming off. Not that body language in the moment is 100% reliable.

jloome
02-27-2023, 10:51 PM
That would be better than I expect. I didn’t like his body language coming off. Not that body language in the moment is 100% reliable.

if it was knee cartlidge, goodbye six months. Fingers frigging crossed against that one, boys.

EDIT: I should say from the way he pulled up, it looked like a hamstring or calf.

jloome
02-27-2023, 11:54 PM
Anyone else notice KC playing our exact identical offensive set tonight?

Mr. Inbetween
02-28-2023, 03:16 AM

Not worried at all - we never get injury information right away when there is no midweek game. Information about injuries only ever comes out when journos have access - likely tomorrow. They'll say x weeks & it will be x +2.

if it was knee cartlidge, goodbye six months. Fingers frigging crossed against that one, boys. EDIT: I should say from the way he pulled up, it looked like a hamstring or calf.

Believe Canadian Media sourced from BBradley suggesting Lolo 'felt something in his lower leg'; ergo a lower leg injury? Italian Media, perhaps from Lolo sources- agents, friends, family- suggesting it is a 'muscle injury'. Possible that it's as MikeForbes and jloome suspect; a calf muscle issue.

Mr. Inbetween
02-28-2023, 03:57 AM

Might be a case of starting 11 vs overall roster. I saw something something somewhere that said we were the oldest, not sure what the measuring stick was

Could this be the figure/s you are referencing? Click the bottom graph to expand for the more relevant details. :)

https://twitter.com/StatHunting/status/1630256651344150529

James17930
02-28-2023, 05:21 AM
Believe Canadian Media sourced from BBradley suggesting Lolo 'felt something in his lower leg'; ergo a lower leg injury? Italian Media, perhaps from Lolo sources- agents, friends, family- suggesting it is a 'muscle injury'. Possible that it's as MikeForbes and jloome suspect; a calf muscle issue.

BB said lower leg, but it looked like Insigne was pressing at this groin as he pulled up lame. So who knows.

Canary10
02-28-2023, 10:09 AM
Not worried at all - we never get injury information right away when there is no midweek game.

Information about injuries only ever comes out when journos have access - likely tomorrow.
They'll say x weeks & it will be x +2.

Yup, this is right. Media availability is today as Og said. Wouldn't expect to hear anything before now, so I don't think silence is indicative of anything.

JoesphNdo
02-28-2023, 10:24 AM
Yup, this is right. Media availability is today as Og said. Wouldn't expect to hear anything before now, so I don't think silence is indicative of anything.

Agree with this so not yet worried about the injury, we just don't know yet

But man, why are TFC so bad at communicating? If there is news, it should go out as soon as it's known. Any other league that would be how it would happen, you don't need to wait until you're asked by a journalist. TFC really drop the ball when it comes to engaging with their community and seem to treat it like a chore at times and that's just leaving an avenue to drive support on the table. It's so lazy.

SenorDingDong
02-28-2023, 10:41 AM
With Insigne likely out what's our lineup?

Easy is to throw Akinola in that spot but that leaves us with I guess no subs up front then?

What does everyone think of Osorio taking Insignes spot (and moving more center) and starting Servania with MAK and Bradley.

Canary10
02-28-2023, 10:41 AM
Agree with this so not yet worried about the injury, we just don't know yet

But man, why are TFC so bad at communicating? If there is news, it should go out as soon as it's known. Any other league that would be how it would happen, you don't need to wait until you're asked by a journalist. TFC really drop the ball when it comes to engaging with their community and seem to treat it like a chore at times and that's just leaving an avenue to drive support on the table. It's so lazy.

In the EPL you don't get injury updates until media availability, usually Friday of a GW. Even then they're cagey about telling the real situation quite often. Liverpool just has their availability today in advance of their game tomorrow and updated Darwin's injury. This is typically how it goes. Although there are usually many more spies watching the training grounds, scouring the photos, etc to see who is in training on any given day.

Mr. Inbetween
02-28-2023, 10:45 AM
Me... on the inside... today... until media availability... a bit of nervous, anxious, panic...

https://media.tenor.com/gsRdZT2uG8EAAAAC/nervous-anxious.gif

jloome
02-28-2023, 11:51 AM
I hope we start Servania as a 6 this week.

If DC didn't have so much time on transition last week -- we rotate to defensive positions very, very slowly -- I don't think there'd be a question of the better team.

We have a ton of skill but no midfield speed or grit. WE can all see it. When we narrowed up in the second half and kept possession better, it somewhat mitigated that. The players were always close enough to the ball to recover. But as we got tired, it became harder to win those battles, setting up the failure at the end.

We're offensively exciting. We're defensively atrocious, and I don't mean the backline. They've obviously strenghthened that, although it looks like Rosted is going to have to toughen up. It's our forward and midfield pressure that was the problem against DC.

And their starting midfield wasn't exactly fast. Klisch is quick but 32 and not super fast, Canouse and Durkin are d. mids. But all they need to do was outlet the ball to the uncovered wide player with speed and they gained instantly excellent field position in our zone.

We just can't close on the ball quickly enough.

I think no matter what, Servania needs to start. Kaye is quick enough but he can't play defensively. Michael played well in the second half when we narrowed the pitch, but in the first half he and Oso were just nowhere near the tackle. We have, effectively, three progressive passing midfielders, one of whom -- Oso -- has real offensive skill as well. Kay, based on that finish, might have some too, but his close control isn't there.

I also think continually trying to spread the field, to keep the Italians as wide as possible to attempt 1-on-1 isolations is just a mistake. By the time we move the ball on the switch, teams have recovered defensive position and the wide player is facing a double team or being pushed to the sidedline and forced to win a dribble.

It leaves the ball never moving freely in space, always in close quarters.

The tactics don't fit our team, in other words.

What I'd like to see.

-------------Johnson--------------
Laryea---Hedges--Rosted---Petretta
--------Servania--Bradley----------
---Bernie----Oso----Insgine---
------------Diomande-------------

We play with twin pivots, one of whom stays back whenever the other is up, tilting the pitch to the ball being on the 'strong' side. We play slightly narrower, emphasising our advantage at close interplay (similar to how we played in the second half) but still allowing space for the wingers to push out, thereby dragging the defense slightly that way and opening up more space inside.

It's not complex or creative, it's a bog-standard but effective tactical setup. Plus, when Michael stayed further back in the second half, this is basically the formation we ended up playing, with the second midfielder as an 8 and the high player, usually Oso, in the slot.

Rotate Bradly, Oso and Kaye, use Servania's 23 year old legs to wreck a little.

SenorDingDong
02-28-2023, 12:28 PM

We play with twin pivots, one of whom stays back whenever the other is up, tilting the pitch to the ball being on the 'strong' side. We play slightly narrower, emphasising our advantage at close interplay (similar to how we played in the second half) but still allowing space for the wingers to push out, thereby dragging the defense slightly that way and opening up more space inside.

It's not complex or creative, it's a bog-standard but effective tactical setup. Plus, when Michael stayed further back in the second half, this is basically the formation we ended up playing, with the second midfielder as an 8 and the high player, usually Oso, in the slot.

100% agree with this lineup.

Obvious subs:

Kaye for Bradley / Servania
Victor for Osorio.
Akinola for Diomande.

OgtheDim
02-28-2023, 12:37 PM
Could this be the figure/s you are referencing? Click the bottom graph to expand for the more relevant details. :)

https://twitter.com/StatHunting/status/1630256651344150529

EXACTLY - thanks :)

OgtheDim
02-28-2023, 12:39 PM
I hope we start Servania as a 6 this week....

Agree with this post but the starters seem nailed on - that's a problem in this league.

Smokecell
02-28-2023, 12:57 PM
^Mostly agreed on this, however there's an exception when continuity is thrown into the equation. Philly and Seattle and some examples of how this can actually be an asset in this league.

I'd almost rephrase it as stubborn coaches are a problem in this league.

jloome
02-28-2023, 01:00 PM
Agree with this post but the starters seem nailed on - that's a problem in this league.

I found it a bit eery how much KC looked like us tactically last night. Bob and Vermes don't have any history do they?

MikeForbes
02-28-2023, 02:03 PM
https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/1630641711138455552?s=20

SenorDingDong
02-28-2023, 02:05 PM
https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/1630641711138455552?s=20

This to me would seem like a positive thing, if it were serious it would be more easily identified.

DinamoTFC
02-28-2023, 02:14 PM

If DC didn't have so much time on transition last week -- we rotate to defensive positions very, very slowly -- I don't think there'd be a question of the better team.

The tactics don't fit our team, in other words.

What I'd like to see.

(LONG POST)

This post pretty much sums up my thoughts as well.

100% agree with this lineup.

Obvious subs:

Kaye for Bradley / Servania
Victor for Osorio.
Akinola for Diomande.
Agree too
I wouldnt be surprised to see Insigne come play in the central attacking role more often. Sometimes we have him isolated too much on the wing with our slow pace. This variant could have worked better if we kept Shaff which Im still surprised by.

ag futbol
02-28-2023, 02:21 PM
Agreed with Jloome’s post. I just wish there was an easy way to get Laryea further up the field. Canada has used him a number of different ways and he’s looked versatile. We we could use that speed when attacking more often but the issue is there’s nobody to cover right back.

jloome
02-28-2023, 04:13 PM
Agreed with Jloome’s post. I just wish there was an easy way to get Laryea further up the field. Canada has used him a number of different ways and he’s looked versatile. We we could use that speed when attacking more often but the issue is there’s nobody to cover right back.

We could also try the 343 (3421) ala Forest. Wingback runs all game but the extra defender helps cover for it.

ensco
02-28-2023, 04:18 PM
It is a positive that Insigne didn't fly to Italy to get it checked out by his roster of docs there.

If it was really serious he might well have done that.

ensco
02-28-2023, 10:28 PM
Really? Nobody with an Insigne injury premonition freakout for hours?

This is one zen group here. Namaste.

los sonadores
02-28-2023, 11:05 PM
We could also try the 343 (3421) ala Forest. Wingback runs all game but the extra defender helps cover for it.

I’d like to see this tried. Richie is a bit of a waste of a huge (loan) contract if not playing wingback. And if/when Insigne is out he’s also our second best winger.

James17930
03-01-2023, 02:01 AM
Really? Nobody with an Insigne injury premonition freakout for hours?

This is one zen group here. Namaste.

I'm really hoping that he just felt something in his groin, came off quickly, and then upon review there's nothing serious there and he just needs to rest a week or something.

jloome
03-01-2023, 12:23 PM
I'm really hoping that he just felt something in his groin, came off quickly, and then upon review there's nothing serious there and he just needs to rest a week or something.

Some of us are developing a nihilistic streak about this club. My first thought was "so?" Injured, not injured, it feels like we'd find ways to lose if we brought over the rest of Napoli.

I know that's bleak, but I think we have systemic issues: in management in particular, but also in tactical approach, in chemistry in the dressing room and between players, in how we spend and the resultant depth, in training quality and youth development, where we seem to badly lag teams like Dallas and Philly.

It just feels like they believe they can redo the chemistry of Giovinco/Altidore/Bradley by buying three expensive players every three years. I was watching parts of the Austin/St. Louis game and marvelling at how much better, across the board, their NON dp players were than what we generally put out.

Our model has been passed by; other teams are bringing in Bundesliga, La Liga and Ligue 1 players as regulars, because they're NOT overpaying, and they're using TAM wisely, and they have much more roster balance as a result.

I can guarantee you we won't get that same chemistry with two players accounting for $20M in salary, a captain who is the manager's son, and a bunch of oft-confused looking kids.

We're tactically trying to set up like we'll be able to control the ball in their end for an entire match, and that will NEVER happen in this league. I also get the same arrogant complete self-confidence vibe from Bob that I got from Jesse Marsch during his Leeds pressers, the same hubris.

He would sometimes talk about doubt and concern, but he never once swayed in his singular tactical approach and he gave glib responses to "unworthy" journalists asking things like "why don't we employ width tactically" (Marsch's answer was that the goal is in the middle of the pitch, which is momentarily clever but realistically stupid.)

Given that Marsch was an early Bob coaching disciple from their time at Chicago Fire, perhaps that's not surprising. But I suspect the "suck it up" tough guy exterior has not sold particularly well past MLS 2.0.

It just doesn't feel like the right direction yet, despite the tangible roster improvements this season.

I will be greatly appreciative and enthusiastic if I'm wrong and we're 4-1 in four games, but I have my doubts. We have to deal with Thiago Almada this week. If he gets the kind of time to shoot that Klisch got, we're doomed.

Mr. Inbetween
03-01-2023, 01:12 PM
It is a positive that Insigne didn't fly to Italy to get it checked out by his roster of docs there. If it was really serious he might well have done that.

Probably a positive that such an immediate measure wasn't taken; hasn't yet? Though, it is possible he may have to make that journey. I think the situation is/was still under assessment by TFC. I hope they have some clarity by today; even if it is not shared. I re-watched some footage of Lolo's injury. Noticed... Lolo actually did not seem to touch either the back of his lower leg-calf muscle nor the back of his upper leg- hamstring muscles. It did seem, even if the view was obstructed/not frontal, that he possibly was touching/feeling/messaging his left inner thigh- groin; @ about 0:33 sec.? Also, although I know captains regularly talk to their managers during matches, MBradley's jog over and body language when he engaged his father during Lolo's injury stoppage time had an aura of an 'assistant coach' exchange to me; @ about 0:16 sec.?

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/lorenzo-insigne-exits-toronto-fc-s-season-opener-with-injury

Mr. Inbetween
03-01-2023, 01:23 PM
What I would like to see... perhaps a half of some 'out of position' football... with interim double pivot 'legs'...

--------------Johnson--------------
Laryea-Hedges-McNaughton-Petretta
--------Servania---Rosted----------
-Bernardeschi--Osorio----Akinola----
-------------Diomande-------------

Ultra & Proud
03-01-2023, 02:07 PM
Seeing as this is Atlanta and they will cause midfield problems for us, I would bench Bradley, shift Osorio into his spot, and start Servania. I would drop Servania in the Bradley spot but he's new and I am not sure he will 100% know whatever our system is supposed be whereas Osorio knows it from last year. And then hope for the best because who knows how that will go.

ag futbol
03-01-2023, 02:28 PM
I agree we need to find ways to stay competitive even without LI. Heck 2017 TFC did it for several months with no Giovinco and Jay Chapman pulling strings in midfield.

Edit: the amount of reconstruction that’s gone into this roster should count for something. obviously it’s not going to keep us top-of-the-table competitive but it should be something.

SenorDingDong
03-01-2023, 02:34 PM
Seeing as this is Atlanta and they will cause midfield problems for us, I would bench Bradley, shift Osorio into his spot, and start Servania. I would drop Servania in the Bradley spot but he's new and I am not sure he will 100% know whatever our system is supposed be whereas Osorio knows it from last year. And then hope for the best because who knows how that will go.

I agree. One of either Bradley or Kaye should be benched as we need speed and legs. I'd start Bradley though as he had a great 2nd half in the first game when he dropped further back.

Assuming LI is injured, my starting lineup:

Laryea-Hedges-Rosted-Petretta
--------Servania---Bradley----------

Ultra & Proud
03-01-2023, 02:39 PM
I agree. One of either Bradley or Kaye should be benched as we need speed and legs. I'd start Bradley though as he had a great 2nd half in the first game when he dropped further back.

The more I look at the start XI grid the more my brain keeps yelling at me 4-4-2 with Ayo up top with Diomande.

I know that's not the Bradley way but I wouldn't be against it.

MikeForbes
03-01-2023, 02:49 PM
You guys and your lineups without Bradley.

los sonadores
03-01-2023, 02:58 PM
Some of us are developing a nihilistic streak about this club. My first thought was "so?" Injured, not injured, it feels like we'd find ways to lose if we brought over the rest of Napoli.

I know that's bleak, but I think we have systemic issues: in management in particular, but also in tactical approach, in chemistry in the dressing room and between players, in how we spend and the resultant depth, in training quality and youth development, where we seem to badly lag teams like Dallas and Philly.

It just feels like they believe they can redo the chemistry of Giovinco/Altidore/Bradley by buying three expensive players every three years. I was watching parts of the Austin/St. Louis game and marvelling at how much better, across the board, their NON dp players were than what we generally put out.

Our model has been passed by; other teams are bringing in Bundesliga, La Liga and Ligue 1 players as regulars, because they're NOT overpaying, and they're using TAM wisely, and they have much more roster balance as a result.

I can guarantee you we won't get that same chemistry with two players accounting for $20M in salary, a captain who is the manager's son, and a bunch of oft-confused looking kids.

We're tactically trying to set up like we'll be able to control the ball in their end for an entire match, and that will NEVER happen in this league. I also get the same arrogant complete self-confidence vibe from Bob that I got from Jesse Marsch during his Leeds pressers, the same hubris.

He would sometimes talk about doubt and concern, but he never once swayed in his singular tactical approach and he gave glib responses to "unworthy" journalists asking things like "why don't we employ width tactically" (Marsch's answer was that the goal is in the middle of the pitch, which is momentarily clever but realistically stupid.)

Given that Marsch was an early Bob coaching disciple from their time at Chicago Fire, perhaps that's not surprising. But I suspect the "suck it up" tough guy exterior has not sold particularly well past MLS 2.0.

It just doesn't feel like the right direction yet, despite the tangible roster improvements this season.

I will be greatly appreciative and enthusiastic if I'm wrong and we're 4-1 in four games, but I have my doubts. We have to deal with Thiago Almada this week. If he gets the kind of time to shoot that Klisch got, we're doomed.

Seems as though there is always going to be an element of showbiz in the MLSE way. They’re after celebrities who they convince to sign by introducing them to other or bigger celebrities. Or it’s the lure of becoming a true celebrity (Bernadeschi and his wife become sort of grotesque celebrity fashion/life style models) which happens, to some degree, by way of the enormous contracts signed. It’s a sort of Hollywood north model that is probably fundamentally unbalanced.

This stuff is entrusted to Manning which is also an unbalancing. It’s as if we have a president (dealing with the few big news signings) and a sporting director (everything else) but no proper GM. The idea of balance seems to come from Bradley at least when he suggests that maybe the under 22 way is best. But I wonder if the difficulty of making those signings in this league (during the season) is a bit too high for someone with his hands full coaching.

los sonadores
03-01-2023, 03:08 PM

That looks quite reasonable. Diomande doesn’t seem to be able to play the full 90 yet so what’s the formation/eleven when Akinola moves over from the wing?

Also, I’d forgotten that Osorio missed so much of the preseason… it probably accounts for his weak performance. No way he should have still been on in the last 20 mins of the match (including extra time) but he probably knew he was not coming off from the beginning. VV and Kerr being out and Themi not having trained much reduces the already tenuous depth.

SenorDingDong
03-01-2023, 04:00 PM
That looks quite reasonable. Diomande doesn’t seem to be able to play the full 90 yet so what’s the formation/eleven when Akinola moves over from the wing?

Also, I’d forgotten that Osorio missed so much of the preseason… it probably accounts for his weak performance. No way he should have still been on in the last 20 mins of the match (including extra time) but he probably knew he was not coming off from the beginning. VV and Kerr being out and Themi not having trained much reduces the already tenuous depth.

I agree on Osorio.. that was something BB maybe should have realized. Even if he just took Osorio off and subbed in MacNaughton.. Played with 5 in the back. I get maybe he doesn't want to break shape but needed fresh legs to close out the game.

los sonadores
03-01-2023, 04:11 PM
I agree on Osorio.. that was something BB maybe should have realized. Even if he just took Osorio off and subbed in MacNaughton.. Played with 5 in the back. I get maybe he doesn't want to break shape but needed fresh legs to close out the game.

Yeah, I get Bradley’s sense that ‘these guys have just made a good comeback’ so we should ride them to the end. But the better response would have been to relieve them with fresh legs. At the very beginning of the season and with Osorio who hasn’t trained and MB who is 35, well, it would be a small miracle if the midfield didn’t need real help toward the end.

OgtheDim
03-01-2023, 04:17 PM
Turf match - passing will be cruddy. This is a game for SJ to shine.

Joe Kool
03-02-2023, 09:07 AM
Turf match - passing will be cruddy. This is a game for SJ to shine.

And what an ugly turf pitch it is too....doesn't show well on TV. Wifey going to be complaining about it all game long :)

MikeForbes
03-02-2023, 11:21 AM
Insigne is in training today, although on his own.

OgtheDim
03-02-2023, 11:22 AM

What am I wanting to see this week?

Passion & work hard

What I look forward to watching?

Matt Hedges grow into the leader at the back

Osorio & Laryea do some CONCACAFing that makes Atlanta's South American's lose their shit

Bernie be Bernie

Job done

Add in having a good keeper and ...yeh...job done.

Ultra & Proud
03-02-2023, 11:33 AM

Passion & work hard

What do I expect result wise? We are going to lose.

I would add that I don't want to see any injuries on that turf as well.

And if we lose, I would like it to be a tough slog of a 2-1 loss or something like that and not a 90 minute disasterclass or another late match collapse.

SoccMan2
03-02-2023, 11:34 AM
Unfortunately we didn’t see almost any of the things you want to see last week. Moreover, hardly saw any of that last season , also I don’t want to see panic mode at the end of games when you are defending a lead . The troubling part of those two last goals both goals were created from crosses into the box that were not defended and that’s very troubling.

Yuushalinsky
03-02-2023, 11:39 AM
we're fiiiine, we're fine, Insigne is fine.

OgtheDim
03-02-2023, 11:57 AM

Oh, I hear you... we are all that character in that room with the fire around us.

The only difference is how big the flames are.....and our willingness to ignore or see past them.

SenorDingDong
03-02-2023, 12:30 PM
Oh, I hear you... we are all that character in that room with the fire around us.

The only difference is how big the flames are.....and our willingness to ignore or see past them.

I am only certain of one thing on Saturday.

Berna is going to give 100% to have us win this match. I just hope the rest of the team can match that.

ag futbol
03-02-2023, 12:46 PM
Unfortunately we didn’t see almost any of the things you want to see last week. Moreover, hardly saw any of that last season , also I don’t want to see panic mode at the end of games when you are defending a lead . The troubling part of those two last goals both goals were created from crosses into the box that were not defended and that’s very troubling.
I think it’s more than one thing in each case. On goal #2, it was waaay too easy for DC to overload the left side and get in the space behind Richie. By the time you have a guy that close to the goal with no pressure, there’s a very good chance he picks out the right pass. Roasted maybe a bit naive on going after that ball Benteke but you could argue not many CB’s in the league are going to win that battle, period (so you really need to stop the cross or provide more help).

Goal #3, our entire midfield just looks like a comedy of errors. Kaye who is defending has Petretta on a recovery run just behind him just about to catch up, at which point they would have doubled the attacker and forced him to go backwards with us pass. Instead of staying tight Kaye conservatively drops in closing off the flank and avoid getting beat for pace but allows for a simple inside pass to Najar. Osorio passes Najar off to Bradley who is covering the space inside of the park. Bradley is too slow and can’t keep up so Najar is able to work the ball over to the left side. Laryea is instantly in a 1v2 situation with the winger overlapping and Berna not able to recover as quickly cause he just ran his guts out on a previous play trying to score. However, Laryea does admirably and because of his pace almost gets to the fullback on the overlap but isn’t quite quick enough to stop the ball inside. Osorio misses his runner and the rest of the defence of over-focusing on Benteke at the far post (cause of the last goal).

MikeForbes
03-02-2023, 12:51 PM
Bob says Insigne is questionable for Saturday. I personally wouldn't risk him on turf.

Mr. Inbetween
03-02-2023, 12:51 PM

https://gifdb.com/images/high/elmo-i-m-fine-everything-s-fine-tjqokogh5fung6ev.gif

https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/1631348628571951105

Yuushalinsky
03-02-2023, 01:00 PM
https://gifdb.com/images/high/elmo-i-m-fine-everything-s-fine-tjqokogh5fung6ev.gif

https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/1631348628571951105
see you get it everything is fine there's nothing to see here

SenorDingDong
03-02-2023, 01:03 PM
Bob says Insigne is questionable for Saturday. I personally wouldn't risk him on turf.

I would save him for the home opener as well. Its a long season at the end of the day.

What about VV for Saturday?

Smokecell
03-02-2023, 01:05 PM
I would save him for the home opener as well. Its a long season at the end of the day.

He has been in full training most of the week so he is available.

SenorDingDong
03-02-2023, 01:45 PM
He has been in full training most of the week so he is available.

Good, I want to see some VV and Berna magic.

Ultra & Proud
03-02-2023, 02:45 PM
It's sad that with the league becoming as "big" as it is and grown so much tactically, in video production, and in recruiting and selling star players that every team still has to say "Well I wouldn't risk him on turf" a handful of times per year.

SenorDingDong
03-02-2023, 03:28 PM
It's sad that with the league becoming as "big" as it is and grown so much tactically, in video production, and in recruiting and selling star players that every team still has to say "Well I wouldn't risk him on turf" a handful of times per year.

Yea the league needs to set a date for all teams to comply with no turf.

los sonadores
03-02-2023, 03:44 PM

VV still “questionable” according to Bradley.

Kerr is available now after missing most of training camp. Another option to fill in for Insigne. If there’s no obvious change of formation Kerr could play on the left at least later in the game if Akinola comes off.

For me, whether we stick to 4-3-3 should be interesting. I suspect we will.

JoesphNdo
03-02-2023, 03:49 PM
Great that Insigne is even questionable, but reality is, I don't care if he's fitter than he's ever been we shouldn't let him anywhere near that turf. I suspect we keep the same system, too. I wonder if they go with Ayo or push Osorio up to the wing and add Servania into the mid field. It's alot more compact that way and can cover for some of our failings in mid field

SenorDingDong
03-02-2023, 03:52 PM
VV still “questionable” according to Bradley.

Kerr is available now after missing most of training camp. Another option to fill in for Insigne. If there’s no obvious change of formation Kerr could play on the left at least later in the game if Akinola comes off.

For me, whether we stick to 4-3-3 should be interesting. I suspect we will.

Should be 4-2-3-1 or whatever formation BB played in the 2nd half of first match.

Laryea - Rosted - Hedges - Petretta
----Kaye / Campania--- Bradley----
Berna ------- Osorio ------- Akinola
--------------Diomande---------------

VV for Osorio 2nd half
Kerr for Akinola (maybe)

ElvistheEvilScotsman
03-02-2023, 04:34 PM
Yea the league needs to set a date for all teams to comply with no turf.

Sadly I don’t see this happening. The league has quite a few teams playing in massive NFL stadiums and one in a god damn baseball stadium. They should at least have a new franchise rule that teams must play in a soccer specific stadium moving forward.

jloome
03-02-2023, 05:19 PM
Great that Insigne is even questionable, but reality is, I don't care if he's fitter than he's ever been we shouldn't let him anywhere near that turf. I suspect we keep the same system, too. I wonder if they go with Ayo or push Osorio up to the wing and add Servania into the mid field. It's alot more compact that way and can cover for some of our failings in mid field

Last weekend against DC, we were 2.29 to 0.84 in xG. We have trouble breaking down a low-mid block defensively and we were, once more, terrible in transition.

MikeForbes
03-02-2023, 05:34 PM
I'd put Oso on the LW/LM and bring Servania into the midfield. We need his legs and workrate.

Bushmancan
03-02-2023, 05:53 PM
Last weekend against DC, we were 2.29 to 0.84 in xG. We have trouble breaking down a low-mid block defensively and we were, once more, terrible in transition.

I don't know, i thought we did enough to win, held most of the game in the second half. We just had awful defensive shape all game and looked particular bad in locking it down in the final 2 +8 minutes... to me that was what was shambolic.

I have heard worse things than playing a 4-2-3-1, just that if every ball has to go through one person to start, we will continue to have issues. I also think

----Osorio / Campania--- Bradley----
Berna ------- Osorio/Kaye ------- Akinola/Kerr

Might make more sense, Kaye appears to have a decent instinct in the box...

jloome
03-02-2023, 06:07 PM
I don't know, i thought we did enough to win, held most of the game in the second half. We just had awful defensive shape all game and looked particular bad in locking it down in the final 2 +8 minutes... to me that was what was shambolic.

I have heard worse things than playing a 4-2-3-1, just that if every ball has to go through one person to start, we will continue to have issues. I also think

----Osorio / Campania--- Bradley----
Berna ------- Osorio/Kaye ------- Akinola/Kerr

Might make more sense, Kaye appears to have a decent instinct in the box...

You mean Servania, I assume.

ensco
03-03-2023, 07:55 AM
These are the games that test why I support a team.

I don't support TFC because they are perfect.

I don't support them because I like to complain.

I don't support TFC because I want to see them win.

I support TFC because its the local, its my game & the little things bring me joy,

Passion & work hard

What I look forward to watching?

Matt Hedges grow into the leader at the back

Osorio & Laryea do some CONCACAFing that makes Atlanta's South American's lose their shit

Bernie be Bernie

What do I expect result wise? We are going to lose.

And I'll be upset, of course. And then I will hopefully remember Richie's CONCACAF stare & laugh. Cause if life & support was only about winning.....I WOULDN'T EFFIN BE HERE!!!

Anyways - :scarf:

This is a lovely post.

I want to see … hope, promise, something to build on.

It can take numerous forms… skill, effort, attitude. Show me some of that and I will be more than fine.

Mr. Inbetween
03-03-2023, 08:55 AM
see you get it everything is fine there's nothing to see here

Maybe a pic of him actually at/in the training facility? :)

https://twitter.com/MichaelSingh94/status/1631326945932718081

Canary10
03-03-2023, 09:12 AM
Sadly I don’t see this happening. The league has quite a few teams playing in massive NFL stadiums and one in a god damn baseball stadium. They should at least have a new franchise rule that teams must play in a soccer specific stadium moving forward.

Wasn't that a "rule" at one point. We had a period where most new teams had SSSs. Then the big money expansions started happening and that rule went out the window for the cash.

Bushmancan
03-03-2023, 09:48 AM
You mean Servania, I assume.

Yes, nice catch…tx

SenorDingDong
03-03-2023, 09:52 AM
Yes, nice catch…tx

Its because I wrote Campania in my lineup... No idea why I thought that. Must have been thinking of Italy.

jloome
03-03-2023, 09:53 AM
Yes, nice catch…tx

I'll put money down now that we end the season with an xG way higher than our goals scored.

His system looks good, but it has serious flaws, I suspect. It's essentially a variant of the high press/gegenpress, just employing some width in transition instead of a 4222 block.

We attack almost exclusively from the top corners of the box, so the defense is a static block, never having to track anyone. There is insufficient movement to create the space needed for chances. And we have two midfielders high, leaving us very vulnerable in transition.

It doesn't work as a tactic unless you have a very skilled, balanced roster that can cut through it with short, quick, accurate passing.

Our interplay is insufficiently skilled to hold possession for long enough to create something through a static defensive block.

And we have a hard time advancing the ball by always playing through Michael.

It's all very inflexible and I dont' think it works. Maybe he'll start changing some things up, but I suspect he's a rigid believer in it.

FootBallAZ
03-03-2023, 10:32 AM
I'll put money down now that we end the season with an xG way higher than our goals scored.

His system looks good, but it has serious flaws, I suspect. It's essentially a variant of the high press/gegenpress, just employing some width in transition instead of a 4222 block.

We attack almost exclusively from the top corners of the box, so the defense is a static block, never having to track anyone. There is insufficient movement to create the space needed for chances. And we have two midfielders high, leaving us very vulnerable in transition.

It doesn't work as a tactic unless you have a very skilled, balanced roster that can cut through it with short, quick, accurate passing.

Our interplay is insufficiently skilled to hold possession for long enough to create something through a static defensive block.

It's all very inflexible and I dont' think it works. Maybe he'll start changing some things up, but I suspect he's a rigid believer in it.

i completely agree the tactics used so far isnt working and the coach needs to put his starting XI to succeed and not fail .-- also i feel like if BB doesnt like someones personality there is no way this player has a chance (i.e maybe shaffleburg)

FootBallAZ
03-03-2023, 10:33 AM
I really hope TFC can score two or three goals- I dont see where the goals will be coming from unfortunately.

The biggest issue I had from last season which seemed to be the biggest issue this first game is -majority of goals last season were scored off individual brilliance- from LI/FB/Criscito- free kicks/penalties - this game highlighted this- as TFC scored off a PK and a free-kick-other then that there wasn't much of a threat of a team build up to create chances to score- yes bradley had a nice ball played in--but no results.

TFC cannot rely on FB/LI to do it all on their own they def need the others to support them- if they let in 60+ goals, I dont see where TFC will get the additional 30 to 40 goals from if FB/LI score 10 each.

Ultra & Proud
03-03-2023, 10:43 AM
also i feel like if BB doesnt like someones personality there is no way this player has a chance (i.e maybe shaffleburg)

I don't think that with Shaff in this case. I think it's because he failed at FB and there was no chance of him (in BB's eyes) to unseat Insigne for 5 years so might as well move him on as he is too young to bury plus you could get something for him.

But I do think that if an attitude comes up then BB has a doghouse and that player is in it until he is dumped.

jloome
03-03-2023, 11:04 AM
I don't think that with Shaff in this case. I think it's because he failed at FB and there was no chance of him (in BB's eyes) to unseat Insigne for 5 years so might as well move him on as he is too young to bury plus you could get something for him.

But I do think that if an attitude comes up then BB has a doghouse and that player is in it until he is dumped.

I somewhat disagree. I think he clearly didn't rate him, or he'd have kept him, because he was focussing on youth being our depth.

Why would he keep underperforming youth as depth but not Shaffelburg? When we gave him to Nashville, he was already a $2M rated player by Transfermarkt for having scored six goals for the senior team at age 22. It's not like he wasn't effective or -- the one thing that can't be taught -- fast.

Yeah, he'd have been stuck behind Insigne, but we need whoever is behind our starters to be the best players they can be. He clearly didn't think that was Shaff.

FootBallAZ
03-03-2023, 12:36 PM
I somewhat disagree. I think he clearly didn't rate him, or he'd have kept him, because he was focussing on youth being our depth.

Why would he keep underperforming youth as depth but not Shaffelburg? When we gave him to Nashville, he was already a $2M rated player by Transfermarkt for having scored six goals for the senior team at age 22. It's not like he wasn't effective or -- the one thing that can't be taught -- fast.

Yeah, he'd have been stuck behind Insigne, but we need whoever is behind our starters to be the best players they can be. He clearly didn't think that was Shaff.

yea this one hurts- as he was known to be fast and not skilled enough. I felt like he did develop under BB, the quickness and then some solid crosses creating goals. I felt like he was the youngest player TFC has had who actually shown some growth.

Def could have used him last game and this upcoming game- on a reasonable salary for sure- i dont even think what TFC got in return had much value TBH.

Seemed like a great kid with a good work ethic and attitude. As crazy as it sounds I believe I would have been happy if TFC kept Shafflo and over played him last season and got rid of Nelson - of course my opinion.

los sonadores
03-03-2023, 02:45 PM

I’m going to wait a string of games and let players settle in. That either they play better within the system or there are adaptations to allow this. Last year with a woeful roster (and guys hurt) we were disturbingly predictable and inadequate in the final 3rd. But I don’t remember Bradley’s LAFC looking like that.

Insigne, unless he gets going with his shooting, will be responsible for a lot of the xG difference. Only 20 or 30 mins played in the first match and he missed a fabulous Berna cross. It wasn’t easy but if he was earning his salary it should have been at least closer. Last season he was in the 99 percentile in shots taken… and also at the top in shots missed. That is wasteful especially when we’re not exactly looking masterful in the first third (with the exception of occasional displays of individual skill). That our 2 goals didn’t come from open play against DC was also predictable.

jloome
03-03-2023, 03:41 PM
But I don’t remember Bradley’s LAFC looking like that.

Far more balanced roster. But they still undeperformed their season xG by nine goals in 2021.

I hope you're right and it just hasn't clicked yet. I have doubts that the speed of our midfield makes a 4-3-3 with two high central mids workable. I certainly have doubts we're using our wingbacks enough to draw defenders.

When we were, before the Italians arrived, Jesus Jiminez was seeing the ball in space, and scoring. It wasn't just Poz leaving; half his goals came from Luca Petrasso and Osorio. When he hit the spot, or the post, he always had space around to see and receive the ball, and rarely more than one man on him, because the other team wasn't blocking low with most of their team.

I think we'll see Almada coming in from wide positions this weekend rather than in the hole, as Giakoumakis, their new striker, is deadly in the air.

los sonadores
03-03-2023, 04:06 PM
I certainly have doubts we're using our wingbacks enough to draw defenders.

Both backs need to really work well work with the Italians. Richie in his press conference this week mentioned that both he and Bernadeschi like to use the same space. Now, maybe that can work because with two mids high we need the backs to only occasionally play the parts of wingback. But if our true danger is coming from the wings/wide play, it can’t just be the Italians alone with the occasional good Diomande run. I think this all might take time to sort out.

The MB ball over the top to Richie was interesting and effective. I want to see Richie really dangerous in the final third (usually that means Richie wide) and I don’t see how we can be completely effective without it.

Mr. Inbetween
03-04-2023, 03:33 AM
I expect, at the very least, if TFC have the lead in this match, or find themselves in a draw, then they must somehow manage to...

http://youtube.com/watch?=/IlOT_gSRE48

woolly
03-04-2023, 06:17 AM
Can Richie be effective on the left wing if/when Insigne is out?

I've long been frustrated that Berne dampens the runs into the box on the right... seems we have our two most consistent threats on one side.

jloome
03-04-2023, 11:19 AM
Both backs need to really work well work with the Italians. Richie in his press conference this week mentioned that both he and Bernadeschi like to use the same space. Now, maybe that can work because with two mids high we need the backs to only occasionally play the parts of wingback. But if our true danger is coming from the wings/wide play, it can’t just be the Italians alone with the occasional good Diomande run. I think this all might take time to sort out.

The MB ball over the top to Richie was interesting and effective. I want to see Richie really dangerous in the final third (usually that means Richie wide) and I don’t see how we can be completely effective without it.

Petretta would be wasted if not more involved. His Swiss and Turkish league highlights were all about creating stuff around the box and getting the odd chance on goal. He seems more a wingback like Richie than a fullback.

Yohan
03-04-2023, 11:57 AM
There is also the possibility that his lack of subs is due to having less confidence in what is available on the bench. I think instead of signing Rosted they should have used that money to sign another midfielder. I am not sure if Rosted is any better than O'Neil.
Can we give a player more than one game before burying him as junk?

Graeme
03-04-2023, 12:21 PM
Well, I'm more optimistic than many here. Based on last game, we obviously have the ability to win a game, even when losing initially on the road. Hopefully we can avoid a late game collapse.

I'd love to see Vasquez and even Insigne take the field as subs if they are fit.

NK Toronto
03-04-2023, 12:25 PM
Can we give a player more than one game before burying him as junk?

We have a greater need at midfield than at CB. I can't see us contending with that midfield.

jloome
03-04-2023, 12:29 PM
Well, I'm more optimistic than many here. Based on last game, we obviously have the ability to win a game, even when losing initially on the road. Hopefully we can avoid a late game collapse.

I'd love to see Vasquez and even Insigne take the field as subs if they are fit.

I think we can win. I just worry that we only became competitive last week after half-time changes, and looked flat at the front end.

If we play a little more conservatively in the mid field and tighter, so players under pressure have some actual options to outlet the ball, we have lots of talent.

I'm not optimistic, but I'm hopeful.

Kamp Berg
03-04-2023, 12:41 PM
Petretta would be wasted if not more involved. His Swiss and Turkish league highlights were all about creating stuff around the box and getting the odd chance on goal. He seems more a wingback like Richie than a fullback.

Can’t help but wonder if a 3-5-2 or 3-4-3 would be a better fit.

jloome
03-04-2023, 12:58 PM
Can’t help but wonder if a 3-5-2 or 3-4-3 would be a better fit.

Yeah the 343 Forest played last year would suit the hell out of us right now

los sonadores
03-04-2023, 01:03 PM

Yeah, agreed. We’ve got two wingbacks. And at least Richie, certainly is better attacking than defending.

los sonadores
03-04-2023, 01:03 PM
Yeah the 343 Forest played last year would suit the hell out of us right now

I have been thinking this as well.

MikeForbes
03-04-2023, 02:06 PM
Sounds like Atlanta's big DP signing, Giorgios Giakoumakis, is debuting against us tonight.

ManUtd4ever
03-04-2023, 06:34 PM
Hopefully the boys show up from the opening whistle tonight in a hostile environment.

Kamp Berg
03-04-2023, 06:39 PM
Hopefully the boys show up from the opening whistle tonight in a hostile environment.

I hope so. I think I’d appreciate that more than a win at this point.

MikeForbes
03-04-2023, 06:42 PM
Clearly Bob listens to me. Oso on the left, Servania in the middle.

https://twitter.com/TorontoFC/status/1632164798296145920?s=20

OgtheDim
03-04-2023, 06:44 PM
Or a 4-2-3-1

ag futbol
03-04-2023, 06:48 PM
Looks to me this is basically Osorio as Insigne, Servania as Osorio. But what do I know…

Edit, is there no match centre HQ I’m this setup? Feels like kind of a loss. Edit x2, looks like it’s on now.

Amir.
03-04-2023, 07:02 PM
watched atlanta in preseason and guzan was terrible...gotta test him from everywhere...long range, tight angles...

alex andrew
03-04-2023, 07:15 PM
nothing scientific here, but based on new potential fans ( via apple ), nobody can afford to start the season on a wrong ( very wrong ) foot

must be a win today

MikeForbes
03-04-2023, 07:30 PM
Bernie in the middle and Servania on the right? Kaye and Bradley will get torn apart.

https://twitter.com/TorontoFC/status/1632176417109581824?s=20

Oldtimer
03-04-2023, 07:32 PM
Not expecting a TFC win minus Insigne but I want to see high effort on the teams part and some good Berna / Vazquez play together.

Graeme
03-04-2023, 07:32 PM
Good looking line up! Let's see how Bradley and Kaye work together.

MikeForbes
03-04-2023, 07:37 PM
Apple has it as a 4-3-3.

MikeForbes
03-04-2023, 07:44 PM
Getting cut apart on the right.

MikeForbes
03-04-2023, 07:49 PM
Bernie as a 10 is interesting.

jloome
03-04-2023, 07:52 PM

Lots of us wanted Bob to adjust. He adjusted, no doubt.

MikeForbes
03-04-2023, 07:54 PM
Kaye playing so much better so far.

Yuushalinsky
03-04-2023, 07:58 PM
are we looking... settled? ready? Maybe it's only the first 20 minutes, maybe the same story will play out yet again, but...

MikeForbes
03-04-2023, 08:00 PM
are we looking... settled? ready? Maybe it's only the first 20 minutes, maybe the same story will play out yet again, but...

It is a perfect road game so far.

Mr. Inbetween
03-04-2023, 08:03 PM
Lots of us wanted Bob to adjust. He adjusted, no doubt.

According to suggestions from one of the in-play match commentators... adjustments in attack, a 4-2-3-1... in defense, a 4-4-1-1. Also, TFC 'fielded' oldest MLS team last week against DCU!

MikeForbes
03-04-2023, 08:03 PM
I am not gonna say he sucks or anything, but Adama needs to show something.

Yuushalinsky
03-04-2023, 08:04 PM
it's gonna be a screamer that cracks either defense huh

James17930
03-04-2023, 08:05 PM
I am not gonna say he sucks or anything, but Adama needs to show something.

I think he just really needs time to get to know the team, and vice versa. Right now they're having trouble finding each other.

portu
03-04-2023, 08:10 PM
Game not on TSN? Guess I’m forced to buy Apple TV whatever now shit

MikeForbes
03-04-2023, 08:11 PM

The quality on Apple TV is so much better than TSN.

Oldtimer
03-04-2023, 08:12 PM
Even though offside, we can see the difference a quality Keeper can make.

portu
03-04-2023, 08:13 PM
The quality on Apple TV is so much better than TSN.
Just $$$$$$

portu
03-04-2023, 08:13 PM
Atlanta looks different class to us

Kamp Berg
03-04-2023, 08:16 PM
Would like to see Ayo on for Diamonde

portu
03-04-2023, 08:17 PM
Dio has really shown me zero value since he signed in any game

No pace, no strength, feet like bricks - seriously, why sign him

James17930
03-04-2023, 08:19 PM
SJ ... makes Bono look like a teenager.

portu
03-04-2023, 08:20 PM
Dio give away in our own half almost gives away a goal

Oldtimer
03-04-2023, 08:20 PM
The score would have been 3-0 against TFC if Bono was still playing.

jloome
03-04-2023, 08:21 PM
May be just as well, he's having a shocker

portu
03-04-2023, 08:22 PM
LOL watching without commentary - Atlanta fans have no filter “let him die” and “pussy” from this woman in the stands being screamed

rydermike
03-04-2023, 08:22 PM
Should've just waited til half to make the sub. Now this uses one of the three sub opportunities

Edit: Who am I kidding. Bob doesn't make subs. It doesn't matter

MikeForbes
03-04-2023, 08:23 PM
Yeah. Probably gonna need a number 9.

rydermike
LOL watching without commentary - Atlanta fans have no filter “let him die” and “pussy” from this woman in the stands being screamed
I was laughing at that lol

portu
The MOST FREE header on planet earth on that corner. I can’t anymore.

Mr. Inbetween

Played regularly as a trequartista in youth academy @ Fiorentina.

Amir.
gotta pull diomande at the break

Yohan
03-04-2023, 08:24 PM
corner defending has been pretty bad. lucky not to be punished

MDH
Overall a decent away half. There were a few moments where we were in danger of being overwhelmed but honestly we did well. Diomande struggled, he's off, and we had some sloppy passing moments in possession. Bring in Victor to keep the passing tight and keep doing what youre doing.

Thomas
We are playing smart thus far. Will we hear from Hala and 223 if we don’t lose the match

sn0re
03-04-2023, 08:25 PM
Should've just waited til half to make the sub. Now this uses one of the three sub opportunities

Edit: Who am I kidding. Bob doesn't make subs. It doesn't matter

I thought it was 5 subs in a match? Unless they changed it back to 3.

Mr. Inbetween
03-04-2023, 08:25 PM
Dio has really shown me zero value since he signed in any game

No pace, no strength, feet like bricks - seriously, why sign him

Would like to see Ayo on for Diamonde

gotta pull diomande at the break

BBradley's ears were burning...

jloome
03-04-2023, 08:26 PM
Overall a decent away half. There were a few moments where we were in danger of being overwhelmed but honestly we did well. Diomande struggled, he's off, and we had some sloppy passing moments in possession. Bring in Victor to keep the passing tight and keep doing what youre doing.

Im just enthused that our manager saw what went wrong last week and addressed it. Atlanta has a lot of talent.

Amir.
03-04-2023, 08:27 PM
hmm burned a sub window instead of waiting a minute...solid half defensively away from home...gotta have way more attempts on goal at the other end...as said guzan looks shaky and overall defensively if we pressure them they are likely to make mistakes

DinamoTFC
03-04-2023, 08:27 PM
Tfc playing decent defensively as a whole team unit.

Atlanta has many talented and quick players and play the exact style I think Bob wished Toronto to play.

OgtheDim
03-04-2023, 08:28 PM
Atlanta looks different class to us

Nah, this Atlanta's DNA. Move the ball around with pace to the wings and look for a quick run to the middle on a cross to score. We are set up perfectly to stop that.

If we went with our normal press 4-3-3, we'd be losing by 3 by now.

Luanda

Here http://youpit.xyz/atlanta-united-vs-toronto-fc/
Use your VPN.

ag futbol
That was a decent half of football. We defended okay. Guys covered for one another, and generally stayed on top of their assignments. Bent but didn’t break. The odd thing was missed but to be expected at this point of the season when defending this much away from home against a decent team.

Attack wise, we need to think about being a possession based team. The counter attack will not work for us. We are too slow.

DavemTFC
Defensively it's worked well so far. Going forward less so. Servania is not a wide player and Diomande had a howler.

I'm hopping on the Rosted doesn't look very good panic train too

rydermike
I thought it was 5 subs in a match? Unless they changed it back to 3.
It's 5 subs but you can only make make 3 stoppages for subs (half time subs don't count as a stoppage). So now we have 2 opportunities for the 4 subs.

With 1 minute of stoppage time, making a sub at 44:45 was a waste of a switch opportunity

Hala Hrvatska
We are playing smart thus far. Will we hear from Hala and 223 if we don’t lose the match

Yes...so far, so good...though that free header in the box at the end...pure luck we didn't give up a goal....

Berna is balling.

Oldtimer
03-04-2023, 08:29 PM
The Apple streaming and commentary is so much better than TSN last year. Nice SSH benefit, but it's even worth paying for.

ag futbol
03-04-2023, 08:30 PM
I'm hopping on the Rosted doesn't look very good panic train too
I was a bit worried after the first game and he’s missing the odd thing but he’s done some good stuff this game too. He’s stepped into midfield to help defensively and then run back to recover in good time. It’s that sort of considerate, tactically aware play if you saw Mavinga try, you’d be scared he’d miss the assignment on the back end.

sn0re
03-04-2023, 08:31 PM
It's 5 subs but you can only make make 3 stoppages for subs (half time subs don't count as a stoppage). So now we have 2 opportunities for the 4 subs.

With 1 minute of stoppage time, making a sub at 44:45 was a waste of a switch opportunity

I see. Thanks for the clarification!

OgtheDim
03-04-2023, 08:32 PM
BTW, I like the announcers - balanced & very tactically astute. I THINK that's the old NYRB pbp guy & the recent Union colour guy. I like how they go with tactical discussions 2 minutes into the half.

I do NOT miss Caldwell.

SKB
03-04-2023, 08:32 PM
Yes agree with the comments, good defensively, good goal tending, how we transition to offence and linking between midfield and strikers really needs to improve. #99 who was picked up in the off-season is really lost out there almost like playing a man down. The announcers indicated he was injured, which may explain things but I think it was a tactical sub.

MikeForbes
03-04-2023, 08:33 PM
Honestly not feeling a positive result. We are sitting deep and have very little speed to hit them on a counter.

SKB
03-04-2023, 08:34 PM
Yes I agree great comment. I am also really enjoying the commentary, very balanced and insightful

MikeForbes
03-04-2023, 08:34 PM
BTW, I like the announcers - balanced & very tactically astute. I THINK that's the old NYRB pbp guy & the recent Union colour guy. I like how they go with tactical discussions 2 minutes into the half.

I do NOT miss Caldwell.

Agreed. The play by play guy is a bit behind Wileman, but the color guy is above and beyond.

James17930
03-04-2023, 08:35 PM
Even a nil-nil would be fine in this one. Keep a clean sheet, get a point.

SKB
03-04-2023, 08:37 PM
I think the comment above is on point we really lack speed to slow to counter.

OgtheDim
03-04-2023, 08:38 PM
Ok, on the game - defence better but Laryea getting hit out a bit and relying on speed. We collapse the top of the box well. Kaye & Bradley...so far...good & not getting caught deep.

We can't do a single thing with the outlet ball though - Diomande was poor. Hopefully Akinola will be stronger in his hold up play.

This game is going to come down to the last 10 minutes of chaos & I think we lose it then.

Sean John - yeh, he's an upgrade.

portu
03-04-2023, 08:41 PM
Sean John is the only reason we’re still in the game

I disagree with positive comments, this is pathetic

James17930
03-04-2023, 08:41 PM
Ok, on the game - defence better but Laryea getting hit out a bit and relying on speed. We collapse the top of the box well. Kaye & Bradley...so far...good & not getting caught deep.

We can't do a single thing with the outlet ball though - Diomande was poor. Hopefully Akinola will be stronger in his hold up play.

This game is going to come down to the last 10 minutes of chaos & I think we lose it then.

Sean John - yeh, he's an upgrade.

To be a bit fair to Diomande every time he got the ball he was double teamed off it pretty quickly. He often didn't have someone in support that he could quickly offload it to.

MikeForbes
03-04-2023, 08:42 PM
I'd take Oso off for JMR or VV. He hasn't been good lately.

ag futbol
03-04-2023, 08:43 PM
Good Osorio passes the ball within two touches. Bad Osorio dribbles into cul-de-sacs (appreciating we aren’t getting people forward quickly).

Thomas
03-04-2023, 08:43 PM
Has anyone encountered this. I was watching the game on my Apple TV box. Left the game, but can’t get back in..,it says I can’t share it..am now watching on iPad.

MikeForbes
03-04-2023, 08:44 PM
I'd take Oso off for JMR or VV. He hasn't been good lately.

As I say this, Oso hits a perfect lofted pass to Bernie.

portu
03-04-2023, 08:45 PM
Bernie superstar and all of a sudden this looks not too bad

rydermike
03-04-2023, 08:45 PM
Bernie is just class

ag futbol
03-04-2023, 08:46 PM
Boom!

tfcfans
WOW !!!!!

Yuushalinsky
BERNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Was there any doubt it would be him?

MikeForbes
Bernie banger!

ag futbol
Has anyone encountered this. I was watching the game on my Apple TV box. Left the game, but can’t get back in..,it says I can’t share it..am now watching on iPad.
No issues here.

jloome
03-04-2023, 08:47 PM
What a rocket.

DinamoTFC
Great job by Laryea pulling the defender. Balling Bernie with the slick goal

Hala Hrvatska
Fedeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

JoesphNdo
03-04-2023, 08:48 PM
That's why I remain optimistic this season, we've two players capable of just putting the team on their back and winning games single handedly. What a player!

Man of the match so far is Sean Johnson though. We're a goal or two down last season in this game, that's the difference he makes

Mr. Inbetween
03-04-2023, 08:48 PM
Bernadette Ski! What a run/assist by Mamah!

James17930
03-04-2023, 08:49 PM
Do not disappoint us again this week please.

tfcfans
Can we not go into a giant 35 minute defensive bunker and take on wave after wave of pressure please !?

MikeForbes
Bernie as an inside player (as a 10 or 9) could be the move.

Yuushalinsky
Petretta is ridiculously good at what he does my god

ag futbol
03-04-2023, 08:51 PM
Akinola looks much sharper than Dio. Can he threaten the goal? Yet to be seen but appears to be our best option so far.

tfcfans
03-04-2023, 08:52 PM
It’s a wonder how having a DP who can score and make plays, and a more reliable goalie, can do for a team even when they are getting outplayed frankly…..it gives you hope - let’s hope it’s not false hope like last week…..can we leave Atlanta with a point ?!

MikeForbes
03-04-2023, 08:53 PM
Now it gets real. Atlanta is bringing on a DP and a proven MLS player in Etienne Jr.

MikeForbes
03-04-2023, 08:54 PM
Deflection. Whatever.

portu
Oh no a totally unexpected goal from Atlanta

tfcfans
Nope - no road points again — smells like another 3-1 or 3-2 loss

DinamoTFC
03-04-2023, 08:55 PM
We let in such shit goals

Hala Hrvatska
And here we go....another collapse at the end...

rydermike
On the bright side, now we can't bunker for half and hour

Yuushalinsky
03-04-2023, 08:56 PM
that goal was so fucking unfortunate but I guess we were due

tfcfans
03-04-2023, 08:57 PM
Yes — it’s a bs deflected goal that is not Sean’s fault — but if you keep giving the other team the ball to play with in your end and let them fire shot after shot eventually bad things tend to happen —- you know how they don’t score? When you possess the ball on their end of the field consistently….

MikeForbes
03-04-2023, 08:59 PM
Great play Ayo.

tfcfans
03-04-2023, 08:59 PM
“Great” free kick —- unbelievable

Oldtimer
03-04-2023, 09:00 PM
Move Akinola to defense, lol.

rydermike
Akinola sprinted that whole field to stop that cross. Guess the weight issues people have mentioned over the past year, can be put to bed

MikeForbes
Those two u-22 spots need to be a striker and defensive midfielder.

DinamoTFC
Commentator good job explaining what went wrong on free kick

Hala Hrvatska
What a wasted free kick ffs....and its almost immediately in our net the other way.

Bunkering for 1/2 hour...this will not end well....

MikeForbes
03-04-2023, 09:01 PM
Has anyone told Bob he has 5 subs?

Hala Hrvatska
03-04-2023, 09:02 PM
Has anyone told Bob he has 5 subs?

Midfield is gassed but he wont sub....

DinamoTFC
03-04-2023, 09:03 PM
I'm surprised how lousy Kaye's passing is. So rusty. Maybe Vazquez sub for him.

portu
03-04-2023, 09:04 PM
Midfield is gassed but he wont sub....
Because he has no depth because he mismanaged his cap because he’s incompetent

MikeForbes
03-04-2023, 09:06 PM
I'm surprised how lousy Kaye's passing is. So rusty. Maybe Vazquez sub for him.

He honestly isn't very good. He had one good year for Bob and is Canadian. Otherwise he is a subpar Marky Delgado.

portu
Akinola off after 25 mins?!

rydermike
Subs the sub.

ag futbol
What kind of fuckijg sub is that?

MikeForbes
Uhhhh... A big old fuck you to Ayo.

DinamoTFC
03-04-2023, 09:07 PM
Wtf is the point of that sub.

Hala Hrvatska
ffs...what an idiotic sub....no words.

James17930
It must be a tactical thing.

ag futbol
03-04-2023, 09:08 PM
Ralph jr is a big boy for an 18 year old.

OgtheDim
03-04-2023, 09:12 PM
That decision is going to be overturned

Edit - it should have been

portu
Lucky to escape VAR

James17930
Doesn't look off to me.

Interesting.

rydermike
That was close

tfcfans
Just useless —- how long can we hold on?

Hala Hrvatska
So lucky there...whew.

JoesphNdo
03-04-2023, 09:13 PM
Hahaha that is absolute robbery. I don't know why MLS doesn't have the world cup technology but thank god it doesn't. If that was against us I'd be absolutely fuming

ag futbol
Midfield is gassed. Team shape is collapsing further and further into our own 18. Losing faith in Bob Bradley here…

mauser09
looked offside to me, his arm was ahead of rosted

DinamoTFC
Put Vazquez on ffs we need someone who can complete a pass

JoesphNdo
03-04-2023, 09:14 PM

Arm isn't considered as you can't score with it. Though it would be very on brand for MLS referees to do that

Hala Hrvatska
Midfield trio gassed...but yeah, lets keep it the same...and sub the sub...ffs BB is clueless...

MikeForbes
He was on. I'd be pissed if that happened to us.

MDH
03-04-2023, 09:15 PM
If MLS brings it that line drawing nonsense to see if one guys knuckle was ahead of another guys knee. She called it off, it was super closez probably off, not nearly close enough to overturn. Just cause the prem does it doesn't mean it's good.

rydermike
Arm doesn't count since its not a playable part of body.

tfcfans
Live betting us to lose in the last 10 minutes of the game seems like a “smart”option at this point —- if I’m wrong I’m happy, and if I’m not I get paid….

Hala Hrvatska
He was on. I'd be pissed if that happened to us.

Fully agreed. But I'll take it.

OgtheDim
03-04-2023, 09:16 PM
Bradley looking gassed -the positioning is getting stretched.

DavemTFC
Midfield is tiring now, MAK especially. What a pointless sub that was at CF

tfcfans
Can we hold on?? History tells us no….

MikeForbes
So, Sean Johnson is an absolute beast. We'd be down by 3 without him.

Hala Hrvatska
Sj man of the match so far and if we steal a point..

Last year, we are down 5-1 at least with Bono...

DinamoTFC
03-04-2023, 09:18 PM
Midfield trio gassed...but yeah, lets keep it the same...and sub the sub...ffs BB is clueless...

Put them both upfront. Don't understand the tactics of that sub at all. We need fresh players

Hala Hrvatska
03-04-2023, 09:19 PM
Almost too scared to watch...fearing the inevitable heartbreaker at the end....

MAKE SOME DAMN SUBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OgtheDim
03-04-2023, 09:19 PM
He honestly isn't very good. He had one good year for Bob and is Canadian. Otherwise he is a subpar Marky Delgado.

His positioning defensively has been excellent - but he has shown nothing going forward.