PDA

View Full Version : 2023 Canadian Championship

RealG-TFC
01-31-2023, 08:32 PM
Not bad, not great.

https://twitter.com/CanadaSoccerEN/status/1620595168964657153?s=20&t=LUzHsX9TLDpFMWd7AHKFhg

OgtheDim
01-31-2023, 09:05 PM
That's pretty much a stitch up to ensure 2 CPL teams are in the semis.

All that's missing is Robin Williams making fun of Sep Blatter.

Mr. Inbetween
02-01-2023, 09:27 AM
That's pretty much a stitch up to ensure 2 CPL teams are in the semis. All that's missing is Robin Williams making fun of Sep Blatter.

Amazing, brillant, 'classic' reference... I miss RW... https://youtu.be/IrJjr5mLNqw

Yuushalinsky
02-01-2023, 10:15 AM
That's pretty much a stitch up to ensure 2 CPL teams are in the semis.

All that's missing is Robin Williams making fun of Sep Blatter.
and it's the pathway to Vaughn SC beating MTL and us making fun of Club Foot yet again.

Look, I know it's a 95-5 chance of them even losing to begin with but a man can dream

RealG-TFC
02-01-2023, 11:40 AM
I, for one, dream of a York United/TFC final at York Lions Stadium.

OgtheDim
02-01-2023, 11:43 AM
I, for one, dream of a York United/TFC final at York Lions Stadium.

Attending that would be epic...

Oldtimer
02-01-2023, 01:50 PM
TFC plays Montreal. That's the rivalry that matters the most.

Rocket Robin
02-02-2023, 11:46 PM
Vaughan and Laval were kept in a separate pot until one of the bigger Eastern teams was drawn out to cross over to be in the Western pot (turned out to be York United)then their fishbowl was dumped into the Eastern pot.

Because the tournament is so early in the year (because of Gold Cup, Nations Cup, and the new MLS vs Mexico Leagues Cup starting in July) seven of the twelve preliminary round teams turned down a chance to host because of 'stadium availability and weather conditions'.

613reppingTFC
04-18-2023, 10:48 AM
Can Champ starts tonight. Might be a big test for Montreal...see what happens against Vaughn.

April 18, 2023:
Vaughn Azzurri at Montreal 7pm start
Laval at Forge 7pm start

April 19, 2023:
Atletico Ottawa at HFX Wanderers at 5pm start *(but says it's being played at York Lions Stadium) <- this has to be a mistake right? I posted the link below
Vancouver fc at York United 8pm start
Valour at TSS Rovers 10:30pm Start

April 20, 2023:
Cavalry at Pacific 10pm Start

All games should be on One Soccer & FUBO.
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=canadian+championship+2023#sie=m;/g/11try439sv;2;/m/03y7qny;dt;fp;1;;;

SilverSamurai
04-18-2023, 11:05 AM
Can Champ starts tonight. Might be a big test for Montreal...see what happens against Vaughn.

April 18, 2023:
Vaughn Azzurri at Montreal 7pm start
Laval at Forge 7pm start

April 19, 2023:
Atletico Ottawa at HFX Wanderers at 5pm start *(but says it's being played at York Lions Stadium) <- this has to be a mistake right? I posted the link below
Vancouver fc at York United 8pm start
Valour at TSS Rovers 10:30pm Start

April 20, 2023:
Cavalry at Pacific 10pm Start

All games should be on One Soccer & FUBO.
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=canadian+championship+2023#sie=m;/g/11try439sv;2;/m/03y7qny;dt;fp;1;;;

Halifax and Ottawa playing at York is right. During the OneSoccer broadcast on Sat, they mentioned it's being held on a neutral ground because Halifax isn't allowed access to their stadium until May 1. :icon_bs:
Seems odd to me, but I certainly don't have ear to the local market.

Ultra & Proud
04-18-2023, 11:16 AM
TFC plays Montreal. That's the rivalry that matters the most.
Assuming Montreal can get past Vaughan. At this point I'm not too sure.

los sonadores
04-18-2023, 02:50 PM

Forza Azzurri!

Yuushalinsky
04-18-2023, 04:48 PM
Forza Azzurri - that would be very funny.

SilverSamurai
04-18-2023, 05:43 PM
Forza Azzurri - that would be very funny.

It would be awesome!

SilverSamurai
04-18-2023, 05:44 PM

OS completely tore Montreal apart... haha

jloome
04-18-2023, 06:03 PM
Former TFC product Chris Mannella at DM for Azzuri tonight.

Niall Higgins out there, too.

Mr. Inbetween
04-18-2023, 07:41 PM
At the 75th minute… looks like TFC will be playing CFMTL.

jloome
04-18-2023, 08:42 PM
At the 75th minute… looks like TFC will be playing CFMTL.

I'd like to think Vaughan made that close but they really didn't, even though Montreal was USL quality at best.

Red CB Toronto
04-18-2023, 08:55 PM
Montreal it is as their opponent in the Voyageur Cup when the two rivals face off down at BMO. The L'impact/Clubbed Foot knocked of Vaughn 2-0.

SilverSamurai
04-19-2023, 11:36 PM
TSS Rovers FTW!
Cinderella story!

MDH
04-20-2023, 12:53 AM
Yeah the TSS Rovers story is amazing. Really too bad Vancouver didn't win earlier in the night to set up an all west coast block on that side of the bracket.

jloome
04-20-2023, 11:02 AM
TSS Rovers FTW!
Cinderella story!

More like crushing embarrassment for the CPL. A team of mostly amateurs just beat an allegedly full professional team.

If anything is a clear indicator of how undercooked, undersold and underfunded that league is, this is it.

SilverSamurai
04-20-2023, 05:23 PM
Yeah the TSS Rovers story is amazing. Really too bad Vancouver didn't win earlier in the night to set up an all west coast block on that side of the bracket.
Stll might because TSS will take on the winner of Pacific/Cavalry. If Pacific wins of course, the next match will be over on the island.

More like crushing embarrassment for the CPL. A team of mostly amateurs just beat an allegedly full professional team.

If anything is a clear indicator of how undercooked, undersold and underfunded that league is, this is it.
While it is underfunded (seems to be getting better though), it was just a matter of time before it happens.
We've already seen a CPL team beat an MLS squad which is still a shocker.

I mean, semi-pro teams do this in the FA Cup, so it's not like it never happens anywhere, but yes, it is rare.

Rocket Robin
04-20-2023, 05:33 PM
At last, over 45 minutes of post game audio from the Apr 19/23 Cdn Chmp press conferences of York United FC vs Vancouver FC. Callum Irving and Afshin Ghotbi and Paris Gee and Martin Nash.
www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports23/23york040.htm

Rocket Robin
04-20-2023, 10:27 PM
Finally, all 29 minutes of audio from the post game press conferences of the Apr 19/23 Cdn Chmp game between HFX Wanderers FC and Atletico Ottawa held in Toronto. Carlos Gonzalez, Maxim Tissot, and 2 ex Vaughan Azzurri, Massimo Ferrin, and Patrice Gheisar

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports23/23york041.htm

MDH
04-21-2023, 10:18 AM
Stll might because TSS will take on the winner of Pacific/Cavalry. If Pacific wins of course, the next match will be over on the island.

I'm a PFC season ticket holder and we're very happy/excited with our draw. Now we just need to beat a semi pro team to get to the semi final. And we've seen every game at home so if we can hear the Whitecaps again we might host TFC in Langford, which is a big dream of mine.

Yuushalinsky
04-21-2023, 02:08 PM
Toronto hosts MTL on the 9th

Kamp Berg
04-21-2023, 02:22 PM
I'm a PFC season ticket holder and we're very happy/excited with our draw. Now we just need to beat a semi pro team to get to the semi final. And we've seen every game at home so if we can hear the Whitecaps again we might host TFC in Langford, which is a big dream of mine.

Don’t mean to disappoint, but iirc the higher seeded team (which would be TFC) always hosts.

MDH
04-21-2023, 03:18 PM
Don’t mean to disappoint, but iirc the higher seeded team (which would be TFC) always hosts.

Not this year, they did a full draw and if PFC make the final it's at our park. We drew homemgames every round, the perfect draw for us.

Kamp Berg
04-21-2023, 03:30 PM
Not this year, they did a full draw and if PFC make the final it's at our park. We drew homemgames every round, the perfect draw for us.

Wow, I’m surprised, I didn’t think they would allow a final at a small venue. Great news for supporters!

MDH
04-21-2023, 03:34 PM
Wow, I’m surprised, I didn’t think they would allow a final at a small venue. Great news for supporters!
Agreed, I think the CPL pushed for it. I watched the draw live, most likely final will be the Whitecaps in BC place vs whoever wins on the 9th.

los sonadores
04-21-2023, 04:26 PM

That’s cool. Great for supporters and atmosphere! And a very long distance road match for us.

SilverSamurai
04-21-2023, 05:44 PM
Agreed, I think the CPL pushed for it. I watched the draw live, most likely final will be the Whitecaps in BC place vs whoever wins on the 9th.

What I'm banking on since TFC for some stupid reason isn't playing in Vancouver this year. Actually doesn't seem to many E/W matchups.
While I'm hoping to make it back to BMO to watch at least one match, I'm disappointed that there isn't isn't a match here out west.

Stupid Apple deal...

los sonadores
04-21-2023, 07:46 PM
What I'm banking on since TFC for some stupid reason isn't playing in Vancouver this year. Actually doesn't seem to many E/W matchups.
While I'm hoping to make it back to BMO to watch at least one match, I'm disappointed that there isn't isn't a match here out west.

Stupid Apple deal...

Yeah, too many teams in MLS. The schedule is so unbalanced and to not play some of them at all one season and maybe to play them once the next feels random. Two vast countries - seems it should be a MLB two table model. The Canadian Championship at least gives a good chance of a whitecaps tfc matchup with high stakes.

Fort York Redcoat
04-22-2023, 07:58 PM

Ok man. You're in the thread to celebrate all levels in Canadian footy. Let's add that you'd love to see the league infused with investment to get to the level where the above couldn't happen. Right?

SilverSamurai
04-23-2023, 09:29 PM
Yeah, too many teams in MLS. The schedule is so unbalanced and to not play some of them at all one season and maybe to play them once the next feels random. Two vast countries - seems it should be a MLB two table model. The Canadian Championship at least gives a good chance of a whitecaps tfc matchup with high stakes.

I wouldn't go that far, but do think each team should ideally at least do a home/away match.
I'll give the league the benefit of the doubt and think that perhaps losing a month for the Liga MX tournament didn't let them do that, but having virtually no mid-week games certainly didn't help either.

Rocket Robin
05-11-2023, 03:57 PM
All the audio from the post game press conference 51 minutes! of the Canadian Championship QF between York United FC and Vancouver Whitecaps played May 10/23. Austin Ricci and Martin Nash and Vanni Sartini and Simon Becher. http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports23/23york061.htm