PDA

View Full Version : Match Day 31 - TFC @ Atlanta Saturday Sept 10 7:38pm - And I'm Feeling Uneasy

OgtheDim
09-06-2022, 06:29 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-6sDRrBznE

Have At It People

Joe Kool
09-06-2022, 10:52 AM
I have zero expectations and hope of post season is gone for me now....just want to be entertained. And if Insigne is still feeling anything from the last game please don't play him on the fake turf in ATL. Not worth it.

leedsandTFC
09-06-2022, 11:17 AM
should probably do some rotation here with playoffs all but gone.

the same guys who have been starting every week look gassed.

Initial B
09-06-2022, 03:04 PM
If Bono starts, then it's probably because they still think they can qualify for the playoffs and they're trying to give Bono a chance to improve his market value with a good result (remember he did have a clean sheet a couple of weeks ago). I'm assuming anyone but Bono in net means that they're planning for next season.

Oldtimer
09-06-2022, 03:48 PM
If Bono starts, then it's probably because they still think they can qualify for the playoffs and they're trying to give Bono a chance to improve his market value with a good result (remember he did have a clean sheet a couple of weeks ago). I'm assuming anyone but Bono in net means that they're planning for next season.

He's a free agent in December, market value $0.

It makes zero difference now who BB starts, but unless Q is still nursing his injury it would be nice to have him start.

Richard
09-06-2022, 04:02 PM
We should be starting an academy keeper for the last 4 games. Lets see something else.

jloome
09-06-2022, 04:04 PM
should probably do some rotation here with playoffs all but gone.

the same guys who have been starting every week look gassed.

Between the fact that a) Bob said after Charlotte v1.0 that he and Jesus
disagreed that his role had changed; b) He was
left out in Miami; c) he hasn't started since and
d) he complained about not getting any service from the Italians in
theSpanish language news availability....

I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to move Jimenez
in the offseason.

He seems a clearly better player than Ayo; you'd expect if Bradley hasn't soured on his
personality, he'd start him against Atlanta because he's on nine goals
for the season AND despite a four game look Ayo has accomplished little.

If he doesn't start against Atlanta
I'd worry once again it's BB seeing someone as "disruptive".

leedsandTFC
09-06-2022, 04:41 PM

in the offseason.

He seems a clearly better player than Ayo; you'd expect if Bradley hasn't soured on his

https://twitter.com/joshuakloke/status/1566573514769014787

i reckon that the decision to bring in a DP striker has already been made, and that jiminez will be moved as a result.

los sonadores
09-06-2022, 11:14 PM

in the offseason.

I’d be surprised if JJ was back. And Ayo so far seems a waste of a big contract. I don’t see him working out very well in Bradley’s football club (though not to say he’ll be gone).

Post montreal, for the first time Bradley spoke of “new players” as a way of “becoming a good team”….

noxx98
09-07-2022, 10:58 AM
https://twitter.com/MLSist/status/1567513214325325825
ATL will be without Martinez, who was suspended for a week for getting into a physical altercation with Pineda and flipping over the club's dinner table...

OgtheDim
09-07-2022, 12:04 PM
That might actually be a negative for us - he's become a distraction.

Mr. Inbetween
09-07-2022, 01:21 PM
^
I have been strongly chastised in this Forum before for this notion, rode hard and put away wet to say.
But I think Josef Martinez is a striker type we could use.
At the right price; another reclamation.
The HIGH-TAM Ayo and tandem to some other EURO-DP JJ.
I think he would fit with the Italians' football'in style, experience and expectations.
I understand he may be / is disruptive.
Still, Kei Kamara has the reputation of an aggressive mutating cancer, and yet look what he is doing for MTL; look what he did to TO.

Section 223
09-07-2022, 01:34 PM
https://twitter.com/joshuakloke/status/1566573514769014787

i reckon that the decision to bring in a DP striker has already been made, and that jiminez will be moved as a result.
So glad that Bob did a complete and thorough evaluation before he signed Jimenez

Amir.
09-07-2022, 01:44 PM
7 goals 4 assists for martinez before the last game which was pretty much must win the rest of the way or close to it...thats rookie coach mistake #1 by pineda...hes been arguably their best offensive player and its a must win and you bench him? and when you sub him on you give him the armband...so hes your captain and been doing well offensively and its must win...funny thing is he also scored but it was too little too late and they said bye bye to playoffs...pineda shouldnt last too long there

Ultra & Proud
09-07-2022, 02:00 PM
So glad that Bob did a complete and thorough evaluation before he signed Jimenez
Nothing wrong with JJ as a MLS striker. He just lost his confidence and then the Italians lost their confidence in him. It happens.

Giving Ayo a U22 was a way worse move.

Mr. Inbetween
09-07-2022, 02:02 PM
I'll keep...
https://media3.giphy.com/media/bAftZ12SC0uEjLndIh/200w.gif?cid=82a1493bz2bf1n9sgmi1kyff1uko0841nb1tk p3tjt6ng57z&rid=200w.gif&ct=g
https://formation-images-cdn.homecrowd.io/images/HCD/2022/8/29/GOm3A8932WI9zGuORtJS.png
TORONTO FC, MLS

Mr. Inbetween
09-07-2022, 02:13 PM

Nothing wrong with JJ as a MLS striker. He just lost his confidence and then the Italians lost their confidence in him. It happens.

In agreement with your reply U&P.
Was just thinking similar thoughts over my own reply as next posting but you were...

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ActualDentalAiredaleterrier-size_restricted.gif

Section 223
09-07-2022, 02:34 PM

“He just lost his confidence “ really? I say a player with no pace , not a strong work ethic on the pitch and a player that can’t find space if his life depended on it, but if you want to blame confidence have at it.

Ultra & Proud
09-07-2022, 02:37 PM
“He just lost his confidence “ really? I say a player with no pace , not a strong work ethic on the pitch and a player that can’t find space if his life depended on it, but if you want to blame confidence have at it.
At the beginning of the season he was doing all those things and with all kids around him so yeah, I am saying confidence. He didn't get 9 goals gifted to him or in the reserves.

Mr. Inbetween
09-07-2022, 02:58 PM
I have zero expectations and hope of post season is gone for me now...

should probably do some rotation here with playoffs all but gone... the same guys who have been starting every week look gassed.

Com'on Guys! ( an ear-worm in Fede voice )

https://i.imgur.com/iSvAtK7.gif

Yes, it's the hope that kills you...
Still, it's not over, til it's over.

jloome
09-07-2022, 03:03 PM
What BetMGM thinks of our goalkeeping right now:
Toronto FC to win and Atlanta United not to score
+625

Section 223
09-07-2022, 03:04 PM
At the beginning of the season he was doing all those things and with all kids around him so yeah, I am saying confidence. He didn't get 9 goals gifted to him or in the reserves.
Enjoy his last few games here as Bob will admit the folly in bringing Jimenez here and see him off

Mr. Inbetween
09-07-2022, 03:24 PM
Enjoy his last few games here as Bob will admit the folly in bringing Jimenez here and see him off

Was not folly.
Something has / somethings have changed.
A decent signing at the time.
Maybe even still now if...
Whether he gets his mojo back with us or somewhere else, he's a solid footballer.

los sonadores
09-07-2022, 03:41 PM
What BetMGM thinks of our goalkeeping right now:
Toronto FC to win and Atlanta United not to score
+625

That is so absurd it’s almost funny.

Richard
09-07-2022, 03:42 PM
Does the league still have emergency keepers on standby? Lets list Bono as injured along with Q and get one of the league reserves to step in.

I'm so tired of seeing Bono who will not be here next year, give time to the academy prospects or get someone from the league on trial.

los sonadores
09-07-2022, 03:48 PM
^
I have been strongly chastised in this Forum before for this notion, rode hard and put away wet to say.
But I think Josef Martinez is a striker type we could use.
At the right price; another reclamation.
The HIGH-TAM Ayo and tandem to some other EURO-DP JJ.
I think he would fit with the Italians' football'in style, experience and expectations.
I understand he may be / is disruptive.
Still, Kei Kamara has the reputation of an aggressive mutating cancer, and yet look what he is doing for MTL; look what he did to TO.

This opinion is offered without having having kept requisite track of him - but hey, posting with only the slightest grasp on reality seems popular here these days! Given his production this season, his attitude (which, frankly, I’ve always liked) and the potential service he’d get here, I don’t think he’d be a bad idea.

Mr. Inbetween
09-07-2022, 03:48 PM
Does the league still have emergency keepers on standby? Lets list Bono as injured along with Q and get one of the league reserves to step in.

I'm so tired of seeing Bono who will not be here next year, give time to the academy prospects or get someone from the league on trial.

Ha! Wasn't Ranjitsingh such a MLS Pool GK?

Section 223
09-07-2022, 03:55 PM
Was not folly.
Something has / somethings have changed.
A decent signing at the time.
Maybe even still now if...
Whether he gets his mojo back with us or somewhere else, he's a solid footballer.
So says you, Jesus never played at any level in Spains national teams, best team he played at was in a pitiful Polish league, we should certainly have higher ambitions then this type of player

ag futbol
09-07-2022, 04:16 PM
That is so absurd it’s almost funny.
It’s even more hilarious considering they’re leaving their first choice striker on his couch.

Mr. Inbetween
09-07-2022, 04:24 PM
So says you, Jesus never played at any level in Spains national teams, best team he played at was in a pitiful Polish league, we should certainly have higher ambitions then this type of player

Jeeez, are you suggesting all MLS TAM footballers must be MNT players?
Polish League is not pitiful; although I realize it's usually ranked below MLS.
IMHO, lots of quality and value to be discovered or had in such 'Eastern' European Leagues.

BTW, does anyone of the community know if 'OPTIONAL' TAM is still in effect and how much more it is in addition to a teams 'REG' TAM budget allocation?

Section 223
09-07-2022, 05:17 PM
IMHO, lots of quality and value to be discovered or had in such 'Eastern' European Leagues.

BTW, does anyone of the community know if 'OPTIONAL' TAM is still in effect and how much more it is in addition to a teams 'REG' TAM budget allocation?
I have watched enough of this player to conclude that he plays lazy , I will take Ayo who lacks a little on the technical side but always puts in an honest shift, I am sure the benching of Jimenez a few games back was due to his work ethic.

Oldtimer
09-07-2022, 05:18 PM

It varies greatly depending on the country. In my heritage (Hungarian) the league fell on hard times but has more recently emerged again solvent but as a lower level league. I wouldn't place it much above USL. Some other countries are much better.

jloome
09-07-2022, 05:23 PM

Adam Buksa played in the same "pitiful" Polish league. Just incredibly short-sighted to ignore smaller countries' leagues.

noxx98
09-07-2022, 05:29 PM
Buksa had 0.48 goals/90 in his last two seasons in Poland. Jimenez had 0.43/90. At the time Buksa hadn't played for the main MNT (but had played for the youth teams - Poland doesn't have the same depth as Spain though). Buksa came over and scored 0.59 goals/90. Jimenez is on 0.38/90 - so not great, but one goal away from his goal scoring rate in Poland. Jimenez had a game a month or so ago where he had two goals (I think) called back for questionable onside calls. If those two goals stood, he's on 0.47 goals/90 which would be top 30 in the league (among qualified players) and a similar rate to Josef Martinez.

Has he been a bit of a let down since the Italians arrived? For sure. But he's not a total bust over the course of the season.

jloome
09-07-2022, 05:40 PM
Buksa had 0.48 goals/90 in his last two seasons in Poland. Jimenez had 0.43/90. At the time Buksa hadn't played for the main MNT (but had played for the youth teams - Poland doesn't have the same depth as Spain though). Buksa came over and scored 0.59 goals/90. Jimenez is on 0.38/90 - so not great, but one goal away from his goal scoring rate in Poland. Jimenez had a game a month or so ago where he had two goals (I think) called back for questionable onside calls. If those two goals stood, he's on 0.47 goals/90 which would be top 30 in the league (among qualified players) and a similar rate to Josef Martinez.

Has he been a bit of a let down since the Italians arrived? For sure. But he's not a total bust over the course of the season.

Part of the issue is that Jimenez is right: his role has changed, despite what Bob said. He was a mobile striker who liked to drift in from the left and, as part of transitional movement, beat the backline with late runs.

Now they want him to be a static fox in the box who finds spaces and receives passes and crosses.... only he's never done that before, so he's understandably nervous, and no one's feeding him the ball other than Ichara.

So I understand his position completely. I'm troubled that Bob didn't at least acknowledge they've put him in it. But perhaps what he was trying to convey was that they have confidence he'll adapt.

noxx98
09-07-2022, 05:46 PM
Part of the issue is that Jimenez is right: his role has changed, despite what Bob said. He was a mobile striker who liked to drift in from the left and, as part of transitional movement, beat the backline with late runs.

Now they want him to be a static fox in the box who finds spaces and receives passes and crosses.... only he's never done that before, so he's understandably nervous, and no one's feeding him the ball other than Ichara.

So I understand his position completely. I'm troubled that Bob didn't at least acknowledge they've put him in it. But perhaps what he was trying to convey was that they have confidence he'll adapt.
Agreed 110%. Jesus may not be the right fit for the club going forward, but I don't think he's a bad player or was a bad signing at the time. I don't think the team was expecting to sign Berna and when it became a reality for them, the strategy changes a bit and I don't know if Jesus is the right long term fit for Insigne and Berna.

Hala Hrvatska
09-07-2022, 05:48 PM
It varies greatly depending on the country. In my heritage (Hungarian) the league fell on hard times but has more recently emerged again solvent but as a lower level league. I wouldn't place it much above USL. Some other countries are much better.

Hungarian league has a few good teams...one in the Europa league I believe, Ferancvaros, who I think also been in the CL before. Some real talent in the region.

The issue is real good young talent is sold off right away as the clubs need cash. Speaking on Dinamo's behalf...the goal is to qualify for the Europa League and or Champions league and get the qualification money. Dinamo picked up 19 million euros for gettng there...peanuts for the "big" clubs, but huge for a club like that on a small budget. Also pick up 2.8 million euros for the win vs chelsea....

TFC needs to look more to Croatia, Hungary, Poland, Serbia, Austria ,etc...some bargain buys there. Yes am a bit biased, but the technical ability is there and these guys are hungry.

ensco
09-07-2022, 06:03 PM
Polish league has plenty of quality. It has no depth. Same as Scotland, Czechia, all secondary leagues in Europe.

I was looking at the Croatia MNT callups in Nations League (three guesses on why)…

https://twitter.com/hns_cff/status/1566744082600398850?s=21&t=Zc84TLS9V9l6pwvnS4iulA

….. there are more from their domestic league that you would think.

Suspect MLS is missing the boat on this- could we be doing more to get the guys just under the starlets that have a shot at Germany or Italy and their National team? That country right now is an absolute football factory…

noxx98
09-07-2022, 06:06 PM
TFC needs to look more to Croatia, Hungary, Poland, Serbia, Austria ,etc...some bargain buys there. Yes am a bit biased, but the technical ability is there and these guys are hungry.
Not totally an eastern European country, but one of Bradley's old assistants with Le Havre is now the manager of Volos in Greece. Wouldn't surprise me if Bradley gets a tip or two about potential players from Greece this off season.

rydermike
09-07-2022, 09:27 PM
Jimenez is a quality player who just doesn't fit with the new additions. It's a two factored approach for me - Fit and Feel.

Jimenez went from being the favourite target of the best player on the team who also happened to be his best friend on the team (Poz), to a secondary choice of players who have other preferred targets who are best friends with each other (Insigne and Bernadeschi). He went from being the focal point to a tertiary option.

In the beginning of the season, the primary option was get the ball to Poz who looked for Jesus. Now the primary options are Insigne to Bernie, Bernie to Insigne, Insigne by himself, or Bernie by himself. At the beginning I saw him make runs and then not get the ball. Jimenez probably is "being lazy" in words I saw him described as by others because he feels he won't get the ball, so he's not making the runs.

I'm not trying to knock the Italians. They are better players and rightfully deserve to be primary options, but it's hard to go from being a star to being a bit piece (that's also why I felt Nelson struggled so much, he went from being the star in the youth teams, to being a bit piece on the first team and its hard to adjust your play style when you're so used to something else).

Also, Pozuelo and Salcedo both left at around the same time, which is also around when Jimenez's struggles began. That personal connection is huge. Look at Poz and Soteldo, they didn't really mesh well last year and at the year end press conference Poz admitted he and Soteldo weren't really friends. That personal connection is huge for chemistry and he probably doesn't have it with the Italians.

I feel like the best thing for both parties is to move on after the season. He's a quality player, who just doesn't fit in with the current roster. You don't score 10 goals being a poor player. Moving on will best for both.

NK Toronto
09-07-2022, 09:33 PM
Polish league has plenty of quality. It has no depth. Same as Scotland, Czechia, all secondary leagues in Europe.

I was looking at the Croatia MNT callups in Nations League (three guesses on why)…

https://twitter.com/hns_cff/status/1566744082600398850?s=21&t=Zc84TLS9V9l6pwvnS4iulA

Suspect MLS is missing the boat on this- could we be doing more to get the guys just under the starlets that have a shot at Germany or Italy and their National team? That country right now is an absolute football factory…

I would even take it a step further and say look at some of the smaller clubs in these leagues, as that is where you will find decent players on cheap salaries. A club like Dinamo Zagreb makes either the Europa or Champions League every year, which is a major revenue source. They also have one of the best academies in the region so they earn a lot from player transfers I.e. Modric, Kovacic, Lovren. However smaller clubs in the league don't have these revenue sources, and with avg league attendance of less than 5k per game many of them are so cash strapped they need to sell players just to survive.

Case in point is NK Osijek. Their starting keeper is Ivica (John) Ivusic, who is also a reserve keeper for Croatia. His contract expires in June 2025 and he is 27 years old. Given his age I don't think any team from the big 5 leagues will want him. Osijek is building a new stadium and badly needs money. I couldn't find his salary but it couldn't be more than a couple of hundred thousand Euros per season. If TFC were to offer a low six figure transfer fee this type of player might be available for less than what TFC pays Bono. Doesn't need to be him but there are lots of these types of players out there.

We are all used to watching EPL matches with large stadiums that are packed week in week out, with huge revenue from broadcast rights earned by these clubs. However east of the Austrian border the economics of football are very different with significantly lower attendance and negligible TV revenues. Clubs in these leagues just can't afford to pay big contracts.

We are all complaining about the goalkeeper coach being useless, but isn't our scouting even more useless? Other teams are finding value here. Look at the keepers for NER, Portland and Charlotte, all from this region, and all on decent contracts. This is another area TFC needs to address.

barticusz
09-07-2022, 10:23 PM

I was looking for Stefan Mitrovic on that list and didnt' see him.. I hear he's been doing well with Red Star, and wonder who he will commit to.

NK Toronto
09-07-2022, 11:18 PM
Mitrovic is Serbian, not Croatian

Hala Hrvatska
09-08-2022, 07:42 AM

Most definitely....and a note, of the dinamo guys on that list, they all played in the win vs Chelsea the other day. Doubt those guys would come but Petkovic would be a great target man...strong, technical ability as well...him and the Italians up front would be fire power.

Hala Hrvatska
09-08-2022, 07:45 AM
I would even take it a step further and say look at some of the smaller clubs in these leagues, as that is where you will find decent players on cheap salaries. A club like Dinamo Zagreb makes either the Europa or Champions League every year, which is a major revenue source. They also have one of the best academies in the region so they earn a lot from player transfers I.e. Modric, Kovacic, Lovren. However smaller clubs in the league don't have these revenue sources, and with avg league attendance of less than 5k per game many of them are so cash strapped they need to sell players just to survive.

Case in point is NK Osijek. Their starting keeper is Ivica (John) Ivusic, who is also a reserve keeper for Croatia. His contract expires in June 2025 and he is 27 years old. Given his age I don't think any team from the big 5 leagues will want him. Osijek is building a new stadium and badly needs money. I couldn't find his salary but it couldn't be more than a couple of hundred thousand Euros per season. If TFC were to offer a low six figure transfer fee this type of player might be available for less than what TFC pays Bono. Doesn't need to be him but there are lots of these types of players out there.

We are all used to watching EPL matches with large stadiums that are packed week in week out, with huge revenue from broadcast rights earned by these clubs. However east of the Austrian border the economics of football are very different with significantly lower attendance and negligible TV revenues. Clubs in these leagues just can't afford to pay big contracts.

We are all complaining about the goalkeeper coach being useless, but isn't our scouting even more useless? Other teams are finding value here. Look at the keepers for NER, Portland and Charlotte, all from this region, and all on decent contracts. This is another area TFC needs to address.

Ivusic would be great and an ideal signing. As you said, he probably gets a few hundred thousand euros...that's less than half of what Bono is on. And hes a great shot stopper. The one away in Slovakia helped pave the way to WC qualification.

Mr. Inbetween
09-08-2022, 07:53 AM

Jimenez is a quality player who just doesn't fit with the new additions. It's a two factored approach for me - Fit and Feel.

Jimenez went from being the favourite target of the best player on the team who also happened to be his best friend on the team (Poz), to a secondary choice of players who have other preferred targets who are best friends with ea h other (Insigne and Bernadeschi). He went from being the focal point to a tertiary option.

In the beginning of the season, the primary option was get the ball to Poz who looked for Jesus. Now the primary options are Insigne to Bernie, Bernie to Insigne, Insigne by himself, or Bernie by himself. At the beginning I saw him make runs and then not get the ball. Jimenez probably is "being lazy" in words I saw him described as because he feels he won't get the ball, so he's not making the runs.

I'm not trying to knock the Italians. They are better players and rightfully deserve to be primary options, but it's hard to go from being a star to being a bit piece (that's also why I felt Nelson struggled so much, he went from being the star inthe youth teams, to being a bit piece on the first team and its hard to adjust your play style when you're so used to something else).

Also, Pozuelo and Salcedo both left at around the same time, which is also around when Jimenez's struggled began. That personal connection is huge. Look at Poz and Soteldo, they didn't really mesh great last year and at the year end press conference Poz admitted he and Soteldo weren't really friends. That personal connection is huge for chemistry and he probably doesn't have it with the Italians.

I feel like the best thing for bktb parties is to move on after the season. He's a quality player, who just doesn't fit in with the current roster. You don't score 10 goals being a poor player. Moving on will best for both.

Well stated assessments and explanations of the situation with which I am in agreement.

Mr. Inbetween
09-08-2022, 08:13 AM

Yes, of course, and yet at one time...
To quote Josip Broz and applicable prior to the 90's...
"I am the leader of one country which has two alphabets,
three languages, four religions, five nationalities, six republics,
surrounded by seven neighbours, a country in which live eight ethnic minorities.”

Oldtimer
09-08-2022, 09:33 AM
I was looking for Stefan Mitrovic on that list and didnt' see him.. I hear he's been doing well with Red Star, and wonder who he will commit to.

Yes, of course, and yet at one time...
To quote Josip Broz and applicable prior to the 90's...
"I am the leader of one country which has two alphabets,
three languages, four religions, five nationalities, six republics,
surrounded by seven neighbours, a country in which live eight ethnic minorities.”

Let's have the discussion end here. An honest mistake was made and corrected, that's all.

Joe Kool
09-08-2022, 10:39 AM

If you lower your expectations and things don't go well then it happened just as expected. If they do go well you are pleasantly surprised. :)

Gringo Starr
09-08-2022, 06:50 PM

https://i.imgur.com/iSvAtK7.gif

Cincinnati could only manage a draw last night so only gained a point on us or put more hopefully Cincinnati dropped 2 points yesterday with us breathing down their necks

Mr. Inbetween
09-09-2022, 07:46 AM
If you lower your expectations and things don't go well then it happened just as expected. If they do go well you are pleasantly surprised. :)

https://media2.giphy.com/media/5SDGtJCvbNM40/giphy.gif

Cousin, cousin, I have tried to apply that philosophy to many situations throughout my life!

Also... 'success is falling nines times and getting up ten'.

:coolgleam:

ronzilla
09-09-2022, 12:26 PM
Insigne could be out

https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/1568222819049144325

OgtheDim
09-09-2022, 05:13 PM
Mavinga & Oso both out

SenorDingDong
09-09-2022, 07:44 PM
From what I've seen on social media it doesn't look like Insigne, Berna or Criscito are on the trip.

They have also shown Westbergs face a few times, so its very obvious he's starting in net.

Mr. Inbetween
09-10-2022, 07:28 AM
Ay yai yai, boy oh boy!
If most of the rumors of who is out or not up to par for this match are true...
My hope has teetered.

https://c.tenor.com/p3l8RtW18XAAAAAM/lord-of-the-rings-lotr.gif

Mr. Inbetween
09-10-2022, 07:49 AM
Regarding Oso.
IIUC, he is now officially confirmed out with an 'upper body injury'?
Could it be a concussion?
Given BB's previous cryptic statements at pressers about the situation?
IIRC, didn't Oso experience such during one of his more recent training sessions?

Kamp Berg
09-10-2022, 11:33 AM
Looks like tonight’s lineup is going to look something like:

Westberg
MRutty-McNaughton-O’Neill-Layrea
Kerr/Thompson-Bradley-Nelson
Archara-Jimenez/Ayo-Petrasso?

It’s hard to make much of a guess at this point.

jloome
09-10-2022, 11:36 AM
Regarding Oso.
IIUC, he is now officially confirmed out with an 'upper body injury'?
Could it be a concussion?
Given BB's previous cryptic statements at pressers about the situation?
IIRC, didn't Oso experience such during one of his more recent training sessions?

Isn't his brother Jeff still the communications director?

Perhaps they could do some actual communicating. You know, instead of continually looking like they're trying to hide shit.

Good grief.

Mr. Inbetween
09-10-2022, 12:15 PM
Looks like tonight’s lineup is going to look something like:

Westberg
MRutty-McNaughton-O’Neill-Layrea
Kerr/Thompson-Bradley-Nelson
Archara-Jimenez/Ayo-Petrasso?

It’s hard to make much of a guess at this point.

This one for the first time with Bob to me feels a bit like those head scratching line-up throw away match situations Vanney made every once and a while during his tenure.

Mr. Inbetween
09-10-2022, 12:23 PM
Isn't his brother Jeff still the communications director?

Perhaps they could do some actual communicating. You know, instead of continually looking like they're trying to hide shit.

Good grief.

Believe so.
Yes, they certainly could do better. All seems somewhat unnecessary.
Gooollly.

We are of one mind on this.

Kamp Berg
09-10-2022, 12:29 PM
This one for the first time with Bob to me feels a bit like those head scratching line-up throw away match situations Vanney made every once and a while during his tenure.

Yeah, considering the players who appear to be available, I don’t think he has much of a choice, unless he wants to play people out of position again. I hope he doesn’t, the first half of the season was pretty painful to watch

jloome
09-10-2022, 04:34 PM
Yeah, considering the players who appear to be available, I don’t think he has much of a choice, unless he wants to play people out of position again. I hope he doesn’t, the first half of the season was pretty painful to watch

Well here's hoping q is healthy.

they won five games with spotty goalkeeping and players out of position. Maybe we can pull a surprise.

Kamp Berg
09-10-2022, 05:20 PM
Well here's hoping q is healthy.

they won five games with spotty goalkeeping and players out of position. Maybe we can pull a surprise.

Here’s hoping for a miracle

Richard
09-10-2022, 05:35 PM
We are getting battered 4-1.

noxx98
09-10-2022, 05:48 PM
From social media, Berna and Criscito are both present. No sign of Insigne

ensco
09-10-2022, 05:52 PM
We are getting battered 4-1.

Yeah I am looking away from this. No injuries please. I hate meaningless games on the artificial patio surface.

SenorDingDong
09-10-2022, 05:52 PM
From social media, Berna and Criscito are both present. No sign of Insigne

Yep Berna and Mimmo in Atlanta.

May be able to pull something out of this afterall. Curious to see how Berna will play without Insigne, we haven't seen it yet.

OgtheDim
09-10-2022, 06:06 PM
https://twitter.com/TorontoFC/status/1568731772627857408

OgtheDim
09-10-2022, 06:14 PM
And...no pregame show...

ronzilla
09-10-2022, 06:15 PM
Decent lineup.

All the chatter online made me believe the players grandparents were starting.

Ronaldinho
09-10-2022, 06:56 PM
Am I really that excited to watch this game... not really if I'm being honest.

MikeForbes
09-10-2022, 06:58 PM
Very likely only have four more of these left this year. Let's enjoy it while we can.

MikeForbes
09-10-2022, 07:02 PM
Dwyer is scoring 3 tonight, isn't he?

rydermike
09-10-2022, 07:09 PM
No Insigne, so would've been a good game for Jimenez. Without Insigne, Jimenez would've been Bernie's main passing target.

MikeForbes
09-10-2022, 07:10 PM
Giving Ayo that u-22 spot looks worse every single game.

rydermike
09-10-2022, 07:13 PM
Westberg!

MikeForbes
Dumb, dumb, dumb.

rydermike
Has Bono ever stopped a PK? Westberg hasn't played in weeks and he stops one.

jloome
Westberg!

when was the last time we saw that?

benito
09-10-2022, 07:14 PM
What a save!

MikeForbes
09-10-2022, 07:14 PM
Alex Bono could never. Literally never.

OgtheDim
09-10-2022, 07:15 PM
The give away to start that attack that gave up the PK was the 3rd brain fart pass of the game for us so far...

jloome
09-10-2022, 07:25 PM
The slight tilt of the pitch makes okello look like a Giant.

Soccerpro
09-10-2022, 07:29 PM
Was hoping MAK would inject something into this team. Nope, he’s just as useless as everyone else.

Akinola has stolen a pay check this year. He’s as bad as Dom Dwyer was last year. He just jogs his fat carcass around the pitch every week, gets subbed off and collects his paycheck. What a life.

MikeForbes
We have generated zero offense so far.

Gringo Starr
Can we just jump ahead to the 60th minute and bring JJ on already

Mister Karpf
09-10-2022, 07:30 PM
https://twitter.com/laugazigs/status/1568751005117865984?s=21

rydermike
09-10-2022, 07:31 PM
https://twitter.com/laugazigs/status/1568751005117865984?s=21

Classy. Hope all is well with Lorenzos family

Bushmancan
09-10-2022, 07:33 PM
Who is this ref?

rydermike
09-10-2022, 07:36 PM
That was the plan. Survive, then let Bernadeschi create something out of nothing

jloome
09-10-2022, 07:37 PM
Fuck of Caldwell his arms are raised . This was one of Caldwell's own failings, couldn't lower his arms.

edit :
oh fuck another chouinard special

rydermike
09-10-2022, 07:38 PM
The rule isn't if it's deliberate Caldwell, it's is it in an unnatural position that influences the play

OgtheDim
09-10-2022, 07:39 PM
We look like doing nothing, Bernadeschi goes on a "if nobody else is going to do something, I can at least try to do something" run and we get a penalty...

Games in Atlanta are always so weird

benito
09-10-2022, 07:39 PM
Caldwell also mentioned that the shot was going to wide which doesn’t factor in the decision either.

jloome
09-10-2022, 07:40 PM
Clear and obvious but it takes five minutes to decide

Bushmancan
Unbelievable. I am shocked

OgtheDim
When you pay them in carrots, you can only attract donkeys...

MikeForbes
Can we fire Caldwell?

mauser09
09-10-2022, 07:41 PM
Making it up as they go

benito
Clear and obvious but it takes five minutes to decide

exactly

Bushmancan
How was that clear and obvious…

Bushmancan
When you pay them in carrots, you can only attract donkeys...

it is not donkeys, command central is Atlanta

Gringo Starr
09-10-2022, 07:42 PM
We need a fuck off Caldwell chant at BMo

Mister Karpf
09-10-2022, 07:44 PM
Caldwell is a joke. After this game I’m never watching a broadcast with him calling it ever again. I’d rather watch it in another language than listen to him constantly beg for calls to in the opponents favor.

OgtheDim
09-10-2022, 07:45 PM
LOL at wannabe hard man Brooks Lennon getting all petty with Criscito & Criscito looks at him like Lennon is 12.

rydermike
09-10-2022, 07:46 PM
I'm always partial to defenders given I was a defender in situations like that, and FIFA did clarify the rule recently and said handballs should only be called if the arm is in an unnatural position. I will say that I don't think his arm was in an unnatural position. With that said Caldwell's commentary was horrendous. "The ball was going wide" Irrelevant.
"It was unintentional" Irrelevant. 90% of handballs are unintentional.
What matters is was the arm close to the body and in a natural position as its supposed to be to avoid handballs as best as a player can. Caldwell never says that.

OgtheDim
09-10-2022, 07:46 PM
it is not donkeys, command central is Atlanta

The VAR officials are paid the same as the refs...carrots.

VAR this year has been REALLY REALLY poor about clear and obvious.

Ball hits his hand - penalty called. It has to be clear & obvious the hand was in an natural position - that is very hard to make ever.

OgtheDim
09-10-2022, 07:48 PM
Like everybody else not named Westberg, Bradley's passing has been poor tonight...

Soccerpro
09-10-2022, 07:51 PM
Lol@ Akinola having a contract through 2024. I can’t believe he gets paid to play professional soccer.

OgtheDim
09-10-2022, 07:54 PM
So the reasoning is going to be this

The ref called a foul

VAR said it was clear and obvious it wasn't a foul (according the VAR & then ref)

It was not clear & obvious it was a hand ball

SO

The ref screwed up calling it a foul

VAR legitimately points out its not

BUT...they both screwed up by not calling that a handball

Yup, pay them in carrots...

benito
What a dreadful half.

Oldtimer
Caldwell is a joke. After this game I’m never watching a broadcast with him calling it ever again. I’d rather watch it in another language than listen to him constantly beg for calls to in the opponents favor.

Good thing he'll be gone next year.

Ronaldinho
09-10-2022, 07:55 PM
Lol@ Akinola having a contract through 2024. I can’t believe he gets paid to play professional soccer.

He might do well in a high school league.

jloome
09-10-2022, 07:55 PM

He and Okello have both been pretty horrendous and Jayden has the vision of a 101-year-old one-eyed Tibetan monk with astigmatism.

Twice Bernardeschi made good runs toward the backpost. Both times Jayden saw him late.

Okello is just a puzzle. So much potential, so
little effort.

PaceyWinger
09-10-2022, 07:56 PM
I'm entirely baffled as to what a hand ball is at this point.

OgtheDim
09-10-2022, 07:56 PM
Good thing he'll be gone next year.

If they bring him back as "local flavour" for the Apple broadcasts...there might be a riot.

ronzilla
09-10-2022, 07:58 PM
Bravo Westburg

Horrendous officiating - it was clearly a fucking handball!

Still not impressed by Kaye

Burn needs more service.

Bushmancan
09-10-2022, 07:59 PM
I would support a Caldwell gone chant at the Miami game.

OgtheDim
09-10-2022, 07:59 PM
"Absolutely no hand ball"

Says Kilbane to all the people watching a ball hit a guys hand.

Kamp Berg
09-10-2022, 08:02 PM
VAR is a sick joke in MLS. They make a ref who doesn’t really know what he’s doing second guess himself and call it clarification.

rydermike
09-10-2022, 08:09 PM
How many set piece goals against in the last couple years? Have to be leading the league

OgtheDim
09-10-2022, 08:10 PM
That's just a very well taken corner.

JJ needed to use his left foot there

jloome
09-10-2022, 08:11 PM
Bernie in the hole, ayo wide right. I like this.

Slick
09-10-2022, 08:12 PM
That's just a very well taken corner.

JJ needed to use his left foot there

Yeah, I agree, but it was a hard pass.

Westberg is keeping us in the game.

rydermike
09-10-2022, 08:12 PM
Nice pass by Jesus. Nice finish by Ayo on the second try

OgtheDim
09-10-2022, 08:13 PM
That was a power forward goal...

jloome
09-10-2022, 08:13 PM
Tactical changes, new movement, new openings.

Good lord is... Bob Bradley adapting tactically midgame!>?!

EDit: I know, but not often, let's be honest.

Amir.
09-10-2022, 08:15 PM
bradley gives a great forward pass and what happens? correct, 1-1

jloome
09-10-2022, 08:17 PM
Oof. Thank goodness that was Dom Dwyer.

OgtheDim
09-10-2022, 08:22 PM
Man....these giveaways...

Slick
09-10-2022, 08:23 PM
Burned on a set play again

OgtheDim
09-10-2022, 08:24 PM
Whole team went to sleep there ....really really bad play by 6-8 guys.

MikeForbes
09-10-2022, 08:25 PM
This Purata guy is the MLS version of Sergio Ramos.

tfcfans
09-10-2022, 08:26 PM
Well at least the “over” is in play after a 0-0 first half....LOL.....

Soccerpro
09-10-2022, 08:26 PM
Atlanta players like to talk with their hands.

tfcfans
09-10-2022, 08:28 PM
It’s nice to watch competent penalty taking....

rydermike
09-10-2022, 08:29 PM
Bernadeschi chirping the keeper. You said I was going there, so I went there why didn't you LOL

Amir.
09-10-2022, 08:30 PM
Thats why both these teams are not going to playoffs...way too many mistakes

MikeForbes
09-10-2022, 08:33 PM
Bernie is our best penalty taker in franchise history. I don't even dread when we get awarded penalties anymore.

Soccerpro
09-10-2022, 08:34 PM
Marshall Rutty stupidly gives the ball away. Jogs back….somehow gets it played to him and then slowly passes back to Q, almost getting intercepted. WTF?

Soccerpro
09-10-2022, 08:35 PM
Marshall Rutty stupidly gives the ball away. Jogs back….somehow gets it played to him and then slowly passes back to Q, almost getting intercepted. WTF?

Marshall Rutty loses the header and then the Atlanta player blasts it into the net. Man, send him to TFC2.

MikeForbes
09-10-2022, 08:36 PM
Okay, that was nice.

OgtheDim
09-10-2022, 08:38 PM
My biggest problem with JMR at the moment is he's neither an attacking WB nor a good defending FB....he might grow into something but he doesn't show the instinct for either yet.

Well taken goal though....Bernardeschi like.

DinamoTFC
09-10-2022, 08:40 PM
Probably one of the most frustrating seasons to watch in my opinion. Amateur mistakes from top to down.

SenorDingDong
09-10-2022, 08:40 PM
My biggest problem with JMR at the moment is he's neither an attacking WB nor a good defending FB....he might grow into something but he doesn't show the instinct for either yet.

We have far too many useless bodies on this team. I also dont get why bb even used a sub on center back.

rydermike
09-10-2022, 08:41 PM
A Dom Dwyer goal would be the cherry on top of this disappointing season

jloome
09-10-2022, 08:41 PM
As great as he's been tonight, I hate to say it, but a younger Westberg probably tips that over. That was pretty low under the bar.

Hit hard though, so hard to say for sure.

Still been a breath of fresh air with him tonight compared to bombscare II.

We were so predictable in the first half but the formation shift changed a lot, prevented them pinning us wide.

Enjoyable game, even though we're just putting another nail in the coffin that is this season.

Soccerpro
09-10-2022, 08:42 PM

JMR is like a baby deer. Always just trying to find his feet. Not once have I understood the hype around him.

DinamoTFC
09-10-2022, 08:44 PM
Do whatever you can to save Richie. Hope Notts stays up. We need him. Most important foundational piece.

Soccerpro
09-10-2022, 08:46 PM
Does a bulldog #6 and a DP #9 even fix this team? I don’t think so.

OgtheDim
09-10-2022, 08:48 PM
Enjoyable game, even though we're just putting another nail in the coffin that is this season.

Been like that since about the loss to Seattle, truth be honest.

Yeh, better then the Montreal game....I can accept certain things but amaterous keeper mistakes are just a killer.

jloome
09-10-2022, 08:48 PM
Damn son. Great save.

Soccerpro
09-10-2022, 08:49 PM
Henry just passed the ball to an Atlanta player at the top of the 18 yard box and then Q bails him out. Looks like Doneil hasn’t gotten any smarter.

rydermike
3 goals off corners

SenorDingDong
Q best player on the pitch tonight

jloome
09-10-2022, 08:50 PM
Q best player on the pitch tonight

Q and Richie the only two decent players for most of the game. Bernie didn't do any harm but he wasn't involved enough.

Bobo
09-10-2022, 08:50 PM
I would LOVE to know who's coaching the set pieces this season.

OgtheDim
09-10-2022, 08:51 PM
That's just a guy acting like a striker on a corner...finding space making room & scoring goals. You could see him adjust to the space after the ball was going one way.

We have only 3 guys who do that right now - 2 are not in Atlanta today.

MikeForbes
How many CBs have scored hattricks in MLS?

DinamoTFC
Embarassing season. Fire goalkeeping and set piece coaches. Amateur.

Thomas
09-10-2022, 08:52 PM
Nelson and JMR are just not good enough

rydermike
09-10-2022, 08:52 PM
Bradley beaten on the front post header crosses on the last two corner goals. C

Gringo Starr
09-10-2022, 08:53 PM
We finally get decent keeping and they still get 4 past us

Hala Hrvatska
09-10-2022, 08:55 PM
Bradley beaten on the front post header crosses on the last two corner goals. C

Yup. And skinned at top of the box for the third.

jloome
09-10-2022, 08:56 PM
And that's officially it boys. Cincy won 6-0 today, Charlotte won, Atlanta over us.

Thomas
09-10-2022, 08:57 PM
Atlanta deserve the win. Westberg was better then Bono.

jloome
09-10-2022, 08:58 PM
I don't know how much of our actual field coaching Bob is involved in or directing, but our inability to complete basic passes, to move into space, to attack the ball...

Very poor.

Ah well. One more transfer window to go before we find if this latest iteration is going anywhere good.

Hala Hrvatska
09-10-2022, 08:58 PM
Kaye is invisible out there apart from the horrible give away that led to the first corner and goal. This is the guy we made a big trade for? What is he supposed to do well?

Another 4 goals against. Defensively we are a complete mess. Credit to Westburgh for some great saves or it’s at least 7-2.

So disappointing again.

Hala Hrvatska
09-10-2022, 09:00 PM
Defensive set piece defending again a comedy of errors. How many of these have we given up this year? Do we not practice defending them at all? Brutal.

Oldtimer
09-10-2022, 09:05 PM
We finally get decent keeping and they still get 4 past us

Would have been many more with Bono. Q is so much better. We need a complete defence rebuild.

I'm still shaking my head at that amazing save Q had. Didn't affect the outcome but no way we'd see that with Bono.

OgtheDim
09-10-2022, 09:07 PM
Sometime this week it will be, "Hey, there's still a chance and this group will keep fighting..."

Yeh, Micheal...we know...heard that before in 2014 & 2018 & 2020. Don't expect you to say anything else....but don't expect us to believe you either.

This year was always going to be a lost cause.

SenorDingDong
09-10-2022, 09:07 PM
We just simply have far too many bodies on the field that don't contribute.

Nelson was brutal today.
Okello was useless.
Kaye was really disappointing.

We need 5-10 new players this winter.

Bushmancan
09-10-2022, 09:08 PM
Embarassing season.

^Exactly this. If I am in the FO, I should be embarrassed.

OgtheDim
09-10-2022, 09:11 PM
Would have been many more with Bono. Q is so much better. We need a complete defence rebuild.

I think Criscito should be fine for one more year. But, the rest of the back line just isn't good enough for this level.

Other teams went out and got decent CB's.

We got a trade taking away a bad fit for a guy who had to leave (giving us a DP slot back), a journeyman MLS #4, a probable other journeyman MLS #4 who used to be a CPL #1 & a CanMNT who isn't anything more then a journeyman #4 either

I THINK the team thought Salcedo & Mavinga would be fine & O'Neill & McNaughton would fill in occasionally - didn't work out that way.

Gringo Starr
09-10-2022, 09:19 PM

I'm still shaking my head at that amazing save Q had. Didn't affect the outcome but no way we'd see that with Bono.

After the last few games I’m worried that 1 window won’t be enough to fix the back end. A few weeks back I was thinking O’Neil and Macnaughton would be fine as depth pieces but now not so much-we need like 4 new CBs amd a keeper

NK Toronto
09-10-2022, 09:19 PM
Worst game of the season since the Italians arrived. Absolutely no offense created and shambolic defending. TFC needs 2 centrebacks, a centre mid, a striker, and 2 keepers.

reggie
09-10-2022, 09:21 PM
Worst game of the season since the Italians arrived. Absolute no offense created. TFC needs 2 centrebacks, a centre mid, a striker, and 2 keepers.

and a new coach and gm

Section 223
09-10-2022, 09:21 PM
^Exactly this. If I am in the FO, I should be embarrassed.
The defending of Bob Bradley’s work by some on this site is embarrassing

reggie
09-10-2022, 09:25 PM

he is a farse...i cant wait for the overpayments for blessing and johnson in the off season,like they did for kaye.

NK Toronto
09-10-2022, 09:30 PM

Except here's the thing, other than Vanney what other TFC coach has been better than Bob?

Let's face facts, TFC has been a dysfunctional club during most of its existence, other than during the Lieweke period. It looks like the dysfunction is back.

Hala Hrvatska
09-10-2022, 09:39 PM
he is a farse...i cant wait for the overpayments for blessing and johnson in the off season,like they did for kaye.

And the worst part of it is, BB I think still has 4 years to go on his contract. No wonder he makes the bizzare decisions he does. Sticks to his stubborn ways as has no fear. He’ll either stay or get a nice payout if he goes.

I shudder at the thought Manning and BB making any more decisions here.

Westburgh-take a bow, some of those saves were amazing. The one late when the entire d stood there and let Almeyda? hit a shit to the corner and he made the save was sweet. I think the guy even high fived him after.

NK Toronto
09-10-2022, 09:52 PM
Hindsight is 20/20, but the decision to gut the majority of the squad in January and go into the season relying on 4 to 5 academy players to start each game was an abject failure. It ranks up there with some of the stupidest decisions in club history. And this for a club with a history of stupid decisions.

The irony here is I hope they keep Bob Bradley. Why? Because if he were replaced I have no confidence that someone capable would be hired. More likely it would be the next Chris Armas. So I would rather keep Bob and hope the next transfer window turns out better than the last two.

OgtheDim
09-10-2022, 09:58 PM
You can't turn around what Curtis did to this team in 2 windows. Expecting anyone else to do that is...why I mute people on social media.

On another note, I think something serious is going on with Insigne. For Westberg to flash the 24 after his PK save is unusual.

noxx98
09-10-2022, 10:02 PM
I’m really trying to trust the process here, but results like tonight make that tough.

NK Toronto
09-10-2022, 10:06 PM
I hope you are right Og, but that January window was badly executed.

NK Toronto
09-10-2022, 10:10 PM
armas was brutal,how much better is bradley.if not for the new dps we may only have 4 - 5 wins this season,armas won a round in the ccl with no dps,and may have won 4 or 5 games with this roster

You know TFC have officially hit rock bottom once people start looking back at the Armas Era with fondness.

NK Toronto
09-10-2022, 10:18 PM
You can't turn around what Curtis did to this team in 2 windows. Expecting anyone else to do that is...why I mute people on social media.

On another note, I think something serious is going on with Insigne. For Westberg to flash the 24 after his PK save is unusual.

A repeat of the Defoe scenario?

OgtheDim
09-10-2022, 10:22 PM
Deleted that.

Way to visceral.

Apologies

Tested Positive for Covid today.
Brain not all here. Reactions unsteady.
Not doing to bad all things considered. A slightly worse than normal cold.

TFC

I still think 2023 is the season.

Oldtimer
09-10-2022, 10:55 PM
Deleted that.

Way to visceral.

Apologies

TFC

Hope you get completely better. I've been suspecting Osorio is suffering from long covid, hopefully you won't and will be fine.

ensco
09-10-2022, 11:11 PM
Deleted that.

Way to visceral.

Apologies

TFC

Take care. Hope you are better soon. If I can help, please ask.

bhandsome90
09-11-2022, 12:14 AM
Except here's the thing, other than Vanney what other TFC coach has been better than Bob?

Let's face facts, TFC has been a dysfunctional club during most of its existence, other than during the Lieweke period. It looks like the dysfunction is back.

I think Perez is better than BB as a coach. He did more with what he had to work with. BB, gutted the team and threw away the season for no reason ther then to run his system.

James17930
09-11-2022, 01:28 AM

No. There's a family emergency. The club hasn't said what it's about, but Westburg was just showing him support.

Gringo Starr
09-11-2022, 06:30 AM
Deleted that.

Way to visceral.

Apologies

TFC

Get well soon, hope you have a very mild case.

A number of people have tested positive in my workplace recently, case duration has only been 5 days

NK Toronto
09-11-2022, 07:42 AM
Deleted that.

Way to visceral.

Apologies

TFC

Best wishes for a quick recovery.

ag futbol
09-11-2022, 07:59 AM
Hindsight is 20/20, but the decision to gut the majority of the squad in January and go into the season relying on 4 to 5 academy players to start each game was an abject failure. It ranks up there with some of the stupidest decisions in club history. And this for a club with a history of stupid decisions.

The irony here is I hope they keep Bob Bradley. Why? Because if he were replaced I have no confidence that someone capable would be hired. More likely it would be the next Chris Armas. So I would rather keep Bob and hope the next transfer window turns out better than the last two.
I agree but I think if Bob goes Manning is going with him. Because this would be round 2 of “fixing it” for Bill and I doubt the board would give him any more rope. You might hold out hope for a decent manager after that.

Last night had a real Chris Armas / Aaron Winter “things are off the rails” feel to it. Two transfer windows in I expect a bit more stability. Maybe it amounts to no more points on the board but the team should be competitive most weekends. Right now two marquee signings are papering over massive cracks.

Majority of these kids couldn’t even stand out in MLS NP, what are they doing on the first team roster playing 60+ minutes a game?

Prof
09-11-2022, 09:05 AM
When your best player of the match is the keeper in a 4-2 loss that says something. Should have been a red card on the Atlanta player that hacked down Crisisto with his studs. Where was VAR on that play?

NK Toronto
09-11-2022, 09:11 AM
Bringing in the 3 Italians was a Manning move, not a BB move. In fact the only starting quality player brought into the club in the July window was MAK. The recent July window was a wasted opportunity.

Hala Hrvatska
09-11-2022, 09:22 AM
Bringing in the 3 Italians was a Manning move, not a BB move. In fact the only starting quality player brought into the club in the July window was MAK. The recent July window was a wasted opportunity.

I am really struggling to understand what Mak does that is so good that this was considered a big move getting him here...seems like he doesn't do anything out there. Brutal give away leading to the first goal off a corner as well.

I wonder also if we do any set piece defending in training. Constantly giving up goals off corners and free kicks with guys getting free headers left, right and centre. That has to be on BB.

NK Toronto
09-11-2022, 09:27 AM
Can anyone recall a situation where any club anywhere in the world opted to start a season with 4 to 5 academy players as starters each game and have success? This was an inherently risky strategy.

The two take aways for me from this season are:
1. Our academy is broken.
2. Our scouting is useless
TFC is not a proper football club.

And yet, I will continue to watch and support. They may be bums, but they our bums.

Hala Hrvatska
09-11-2022, 09:35 AM
Can anyone recall a situation where any club anywhere in the world opted to start a season with 4 to 5 academy players as starters each game and have success? This was an inherently risky strategy.

And yet, I will continue to watch and support. They may be bums, but they our bums.

No, and to make matters worse, he got rid of experienced defenders in Morrow and Auro and in their place, didn't even put kids who were defenders.

NK Toronto
09-11-2022, 09:38 AM
I am really struggling to understand what Mak does that is so good that this was considered a big move getting him here...seems like he doesn't do anything out there. Brutal give away leading to the first goal off a corner as well.

I wonder also if we do any set piece defending in training. Constantly giving up goals off corners and free kicks with guys getting free headers left, right and centre. That has to be on BB.

He was out a month so I am willing to cut him some slack. I don't blame BB for the set piece goals. It's on the players out there. You can't turn kraft dinner into a fine dining experience.

Hala Hrvatska
09-11-2022, 09:51 AM
He was out a month so I am willing to cut him some slack. I don't blame BB for the set piece goals. It's on the players out there. You can't turn kraft dinner into a fine dining experience.

One of those players getting continually beat on headers is his own son. Twice last night.

But yeah, its one on one battles and you have to win them. We continualy lose them.

ag futbol
09-11-2022, 09:52 AM
Didn’t exactly take a genius to bring in those three guys either. The only talent was asking someone to open up their chequebook

Kamp Berg
09-11-2022, 10:35 AM

I would add that Manning rules over an organization steeped in mediocrity, but imbibed with a false sense of exceptionalism. I get the feeling that MLSE already suffers from this but that Manning uses it as a shield for his own career, continually convincing those around him that his pile of shit is a mountain of gold.

SoccMan2
09-11-2022, 10:36 AM
This season was a right off when like a few have said they went into the season with no replacements for the players they let go. I’m all for giving the kids a chance but you don’t play all these kids at the same time . They they really think that the Italians would come here and make up enough points to turn the season around? All they did was bring in 3 players and expect to turn a broken team into a contender overnight. A losing mentality and culture was already set in this team when the Italians came and expecting a big turnaround overnight was crazy thinking. Moreover, this team a no center backs and a keeper that has been bad all season . This team is severely broken and whoever thought it was a good idea to go with a bunch of inexperienced kids for basically half the season should be fired on the spot ! I know this is the MLS where teams can go from a really bad season to a very successful season pretty quick , but this is not going to be that easy to turn around there are just so many pieces missing on this team right now on top of a culture of losing that has set in the past two seasons .

NK Toronto
09-11-2022, 11:25 AM
The July transfer window was a real head scratcher. This is the window when it's easiest to bring in players from Europe. Manning brought in Berna, a dp signing, however instead of bringing in other players from Europe BB trades within MLS for MAK. Wouldn't it have made more sense to focus on Europeans in July and MLS players in the next January window? Instead TFC does the opposite.

NK Toronto
09-11-2022, 11:35 AM
The shot stats from last night pretty much sum up the performance. Atlanta had 10 shots on target vs. 2 for TFC, including one on a penalty. This just underscores how much of their offense relies on Insigne, not just for goals but also for creating both opportunities and space for others. Some have argued that Berna has played better to date but he was essentially invisible last night without Insigne, who is more of a difference maker. Anyone wondering why Insigne doesn't seem to trust any of his teammates, other than Berna, just needs to watch last night's game.

I think it will take longer than 3 transfer windows to fix this mess. Other than the 3 Italians, I don't think the team is any better than it was at the end of 2021.

jloome
09-11-2022, 11:55 AM
The July transfer window was a real head scratcher. This is the window when it's easiest to bring in players from Europe. Manning brought in Berna, a dp signing, however instead of bringing in other players from Europe BB trades within MLS for MAK. Wouldn't it have made more sense to focus on Europeans in July and MLS players in the next January window? Instead TFC does the opposite.

My cynical side says LAFC moved him against Bob's wishes, and that the GM there has a better handling of players than Bob, which is maybe where the rift came in.

Now Bob's decided to prove LAFC wrong by snagging back Kaye over all others. Manning probably asked him what domestic player he really wants, tell me and I'll go get him... and he wanted MAK.

Lots of managers have blind spots. Perhaps Bob's is personnel.

Tactically, the second half last night featured the exact formation I discussed last week, the one that could have accommodated Pozuelo: two outside forwards and a false nine, with JJ and Akinola just ahead of Bernie.

So he can tactically adapt, when he chooses.

Maybe he's just really stubborn and when players waiver, he doesn't see it, because doing so would make him insecure about his performance.

He seems in both Bono and MAK to value players who have high top ends but inconsistent performances, as if he believes he can turn them into the fuller player they were supposed to be.

But sometimes players just don't have consistently good judgment or the focus to always display playoff-level work ethic. I'm not sure how much one coach, rather than a team, improves that.

And if we do have a broadly focussed team in terms of improving movement, technique, fitness, mentality, etc I'm not sure they're the right people, as we don't seem to have gotten any better.

My bigger fear is that he and Michael both are driven but also can have unctuous, unyielding personalities, and we just have a sour locker room. MB has been captain too long and plays 90 mins too often. Even if he were performing optimally for a 34-year-old, he's never struck me as the type of leader players believe and trust, but rather one who they see as determined to win.

It's a different skill set, being a captain long term. If they have no dressing room leader because they think Michael just tells his father everything, and he isn't making up for that with motivation, support and leadership, it doesn't matter who we bring in.

Even if BB comes good, the dynamic of an all-powerful manager and the team captain being his 34-year-old son doesn't sound good for the dressing room. It didn't sound good two months ago, and the fact that we look less cohesive now than earlier in the season suggests this is a personality divide.

I think those shirtless celebration photos after the Italians arrived was BB's way of trying to promote togetherness, feed off the success. But it's not enough.

On top of whether the captain is actually a positive, you can bet the younger players have their own clique as well, as the roster is so divided by age.

It's a bad overall balance, possibly, and it's taking the joy out of it, making them focus on their mistakes and pressures.

(I will also note we are along with NYFC one of only two clubs with a single team captain. Most teams have at least two, several three or four.)

portu
09-11-2022, 03:41 PM
All the last run of form proves to me is that this season was never a write off and only was because - as I’ve said a million times - they do not know to find and sign talent.

The last 10 games make Manning and BB look worse than the first 10, in my opinion. Both on the hot seat from the start next season if no results. I would sack BB if we walk into pre-season without a legit backline and keeper.

Hala Hrvatska
09-11-2022, 04:05 PM
All the last run of form proves to me is that this season was never a write off and only was because - as I’ve said a million times - they do not know to find and sign talent.

The last 10 games make Manning and BB look worse than the first 10, in my opinion. Both on the hot seat from the start next season if no results. I would sack BB if we walk into pre-season without a legit backline and keeper.

Fully agreed. I had enough of the give them more "windows". We better have the team in place and come flying out of the gates winning.

Initial B
09-11-2022, 04:10 PM
Uh oh, if you follow my timeline, you should get a fever today and your worst day should be tomorrow as that's when I had the most difficulty breathing. Things improved after that. Get well soon!

And after this January window, if the team is underperforming by end of May, they should probably replace Manning and BB.

Blindside16
09-12-2022, 02:37 AM

I don't think it is at that point. His wife is pregnant and I think there are complications with the pregnancy

SenorDingDong
09-12-2022, 09:04 AM
I don't think it is at that point. His wife is pregnant and I think there are complications with the pregnancy

Hoping all is good. Losing a baby is no small issue.

That said at this point, doesn't really matter if he sits the rest of the season. Both him and Bernadeschi have not had a full off season in two years (Euro Cup last year, then move to MLS this year). So they are due for a break.

stevep
09-12-2022, 10:24 AM
Hoping all is good. Losing a baby is no small issue.

That said at this point, doesn't really matter if he sits the rest of the season. Both him and Bernadeschi have not had a full off season in two years (Euro Cup last year, then move to MLS this year). So they are due for a break.

a lot of stuff happens to the starting players
baby issues
mystery illness
undisclosed personal reason

what are the odds??🤨

ag futbol
09-12-2022, 11:28 AM
a lot of stuff happens to the starting players
baby issues
mystery illness
undisclosed personal reason

what are the odds??🤨
In today’s world? A lot higher than they used to be but directionally agree with your point. Doesn’t sound like a terribly functional locker room at the moment and a few things breaking around the edges.

That said, I’d be shocked if Osorio and Insigne’s situations were anything but as described. They just sound fishy now because clearly TFC has sand-bagged a few other times this year.

TFC/Everton
09-12-2022, 12:30 PM
Criscito's kids are very homesick...

https://www.zazoom.it/2022-09-12/criscito-in-canada-sto-bene-ma-genova-e-il-genoa-mi-mancano-pure-i-miei-figli-hanno-nostalgia/11556879/

noxx98
09-12-2022, 12:47 PM
Criscito's kids are very homesick...

https://www.zazoom.it/2022-09-12/criscito-in-canada-sto-bene-ma-genova-e-il-genoa-mi-mancano-pure-i-miei-figli-hanno-nostalgia/11556879/
A couple weeks ago Criscito said his kids were having a great time here. I think it’s possible for you to be homesick, missing things about Genoa, but also be having a great time here.
Hopefully with the school year starting his kids can begin making some new friends here and start settling in more.

https://www.tuttosport.com/news/calcio/calcio-estero/2022/08/26-96184319/criscito_la_mia_nuova_vita_canadese_tra_lebron_att ori_e_il_calcio_