PDA

View Full Version : Match Day 26 - NER @ TFC Wednesday August 17 7:38pm - Tell Me Now Now Now

OgtheDim
08-14-2022, 09:29 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbzM8PirtbQ

Have at It People

Richard
08-14-2022, 10:33 AM
There is a massive log jam of teams at the bottom of the east, only 5 points separate teams from 5-13 positions.

We have games against almost every relevant team ahead of us, it is in our hands, keep winning and we will make playoffs.

Bushmancan
08-14-2022, 11:17 AM
Anyone know a good place to watch the game in Victoria?

jloome
08-15-2022, 10:56 AM
There is a massive log jam of teams at the bottom of the east, only 5 points separate teams from 5-13 positions.

We have games against almost every relevant team ahead of us, it is in our hands, keep winning and we will make playoffs.

We have games against every relevant team ahead of us except Columbus. We have TWO against Miami.

Online bookies have us Even odds to beat revolution, somewhere around 13/5 (two-to-one-ish) for the Revs to win or a tie.

Mr. Inbetween
08-15-2022, 11:00 AM
One more time!
Hoping...

https://formation-images-cdn.homecrowd.io/images/HCD/2022/8/15/i6RUMOYRPjjGDKia9H1i.png TORONTO FC, MLS (http://https://formation-images-cdn.homecrowd.io/images/HCD/2022/8/15/i6RUMOYRPjjGDKia9H1i.png TORONTO FC, MLS )

leedsandTFC
08-15-2022, 11:32 AM
ne england havent conceded a goal in 4 games.

that being said, they aren't a great team, and if we play like we did on Saturday should be another multi goal win.

Mr. Inbetween
08-15-2022, 11:37 AM
23JUL22 To 05NOV22...106 Days!
Another TFC MLS CUP QUEST has begun!
La Favola - Cento Giorni!
TFC... always... for...
Cento Ore, Cento Giorni,
Cento Minuti, Cento Anni,
Una Vita, Cento Vite...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbYj5X2myI0 (http://
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbYj5X2myI0)

Richard
08-15-2022, 12:19 PM
ne england havent conceded a goal in 4 games.

that being said, they aren't a great team, and if we play like we did on Saturday should be another multi goal win.

We should play Henry as striker since we now have world class crossers of the ball.

Honestly JJ is to cold to trust at this point, and Ayo is not up to speed yet.

Joe Kool
08-15-2022, 01:23 PM
We should play Henry as striker since we now have world class crossers of the ball.

I think JJ is still trying to figure out his role within the new group of players up top. I am sure it is a bit of an adjustment to play with our new DPs compared to what we had prior. BB said they are working with him to do that. Even if he is not on the ball, he is doing some dummy runs to help open space so even if not on the scoresheet I think he is serving a function up top to some degree. Between our new DPs and Oso, Nelson/Kaye there are a lot of players around the 18 wanting the ball so he needs to figure out how to get into good positions to be most useful within the group. You can see he is a little frustrated at times probably with himself personally but the team is winning at least.

ag futbol
08-15-2022, 01:29 PM

To me, Ayo has about two years to prove he can be a goal scoring threat in this league or he’s going to be on a USL career track.

That previous run of form in the bubble is only going to take him so far.

stevep
08-15-2022, 02:29 PM
We have games against every relevant team ahead of us except Columbus. We have TWO against Miami.

Online bookies have us Even odds to beat revolution, somewhere around 13/5 (two-to-one-ish) for the Revs to win or a tie.
Whoever is setting the odds for tfc over the last 4 games does not know wtf he is doing
he is so way off on his odds

SenorDingDong
08-15-2022, 02:56 PM

We should have won the last time we played NE.

I feel like this time we will.

That said - I think Saturday in Miami is going to be loss or draw. That game just has struggle written all over it.

Mr. Inbetween
08-15-2022, 03:07 PM
As with the previous match.
I would really enjoy seeing another one of these posted late Wednesday evening please.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FaFmTjJXEAAscjb?format=jpg&name=small

Mr. Inbetween
08-15-2022, 04:40 PM
Regarding the above latest post victory team picture...
Without understanding if the locker room player cubicle layout for BMO Stadium is similar to that of Toronto FC Training Grounds?
Though I suspect match day intensity matters much more bonding wise.
Anyone notice the background?
Insigne placed between Mavinga and Osorio with Nelson next beside on the right.
Happenstance? Buona fortuna/luck? Or some Bob Bradley Old School Footballing IQ?
Them all being left-siders on the pitch?
Insigne's got the guy that could use as much confidence as he can get on his left.
While the guy that may need the most convincing to stay on his right.
And the kid that Bob feels has potential but needs some strong footballer guidance next to him.
Allowing all to bond with Insigne?
That placing would explain Insigne's mention of his relationship with Mavinga in a recent interview.

jloome
08-15-2022, 05:00 PM
Without understanding if the locker room player cubicle layout for BMO Stadium is similar to that of Toronto FC Training Grounds?
Happenstance? Buona fortuna/luck? Or some Bob Bradley Old School Footballing IQ?
Insigne's got the guy that could use as much confidence as he can get on his left.
And the kid that Bob feels has potential but needs some strong footballer guidance next to him.
That placing would explain Insigne's mention of his relationship with Mavinga in a recent interview.

That's astute, Mr I. Almost certainly deliberate I'd think.

jloome
08-15-2022, 05:02 PM
We should have won the last time we played NE.

I feel like this time we will.

That said - I think Saturday in Miami is going to be loss or draw. That game just has struggle written all over it.

I don't think Miami can keep up with our ball movement now. I'm not sure anyone outside of LAFC and NYRB have the midfield defensive ability required.

los sonadores
08-15-2022, 10:49 PM

Good eye!

Mr. Inbetween
08-16-2022, 03:14 AM
I don't think Miami can keep up with our ball movement now. I'm not sure anyone outside of LAFC and NYRB have the midfield defensive ability required.

I would agree about Miami, although the short record against may suggest otherwise 4G:3L/1W?
Yet, not against TFC's new and improved and now better self!
We should also understand how to 'contain' Pozuelo.

NYRB may be on a down cycle as TFC is on an upward one; gaining momentum at the right time as opposed to losing it.
Though, it seems they have beaten us about twice as much and dominated with wins on their pitch.

LAFC, well... IMHO one fooken word... JUGGERNAUT!
Is it the most complete and deep team currently in MLS?
When we meet them in the MLS Playoffs, hopefully its at the CUP Final.
I take some solace that BBradley may have laid about two-thirds to three-quarters of the groundwork that is that team.
Also comfort, in regards to opposition knowledge as well as what TFC's future may conceptually be.
LAFC's management continuity and new hires have done a fine job carrying on with the addition of key and solid acquisitions.
They have not screwed it up! Added lots of depth; lots!
Maybe Henry will be able to share some insights about some of the new players from earlier in the season.

Mr. Inbetween
08-16-2022, 07:36 AM
Com'on Bono!
Keep On 'Keeping' On.
Doing fine.
None of this now!

https://twitter.com/PxckedIze/status/1559170484297687040 (https://twitter.com/PxckedIze/status/1559170484297687040)

jloome
08-16-2022, 09:57 PM
New England will be without starting CB Henry Kessler, who is not vaccinated, likely also Gustavo Bou, Jacobo Vrioni and Dylan Borrero to injury.

613reppingTFC
08-17-2022, 08:29 AM
No pre-game show tonight for TFC. Vancouver is going to have one after our game and before theirs though.
I know most were probably at the game on the weekend but did anyone else catch our pre-game show on Saturday. I felt like I was watching a Canada pre-game with DeGuzman and Kilbane trying to pick out their starting 11 choices for their first game in Qatar. I love Canada and so happy they qualified for WC don't get me wrong. But shouldn't they be doing a half hour special on this sort of thing and sort of leave the pre-game to talking about TFC for the most part, obviously we have internationals that will be going and will want to talk about it. But we are at a point where TFC just picked up some major stars and are picking up points and they are talking about this? Anyone else have thoughts on this, they really didn't talk much about TFC and it was mostly all just talking about going to Qatar in 100 days.

Also side note: i saw a few people mention the production during the game and I can't tell you how many times i've turned to the wife and said "i'm glad they are on a close up of someone while the play is still happening". Seems they don't know when to do a re-play or stop following a player for too long and we end up missing a corner kick or a build up in a play and it's pretty amateur.

SenorDingDong
08-17-2022, 09:31 AM
New England will be without starting CB Henry Kessler, who is not vaccinated, likely also Gustavo Bou, Jacobo Vrioni and Dylan Borrero to injury.

The world really needs to drop that vaccinated rule. I really don't see how it accomplishes anything anymore.

Super
08-17-2022, 10:02 AM
The world really needs to drop that vaccinated rule. I really don't see how it accomplishes anything anymore.

I think that's really just a Canadian thing now, no?

noxx98
08-17-2022, 10:11 AM
I think that's really just a Canadian thing now, no?
It's still a rule in the US for non-Americans entering the country. TFC is all fully vaxed so it isn't an issue. A number of European countries still require double vax for non-citizens entering.

noxx98
08-17-2022, 10:19 AM
It's still a rule in the US for non-Americans entering the country. TFC is all fully vaxed so it isn't an issue. A number of European countries still require double vax for non-citizens entering.
Here's an article from last month talking about some of the rules in place for Europe and the impact on pre-season for teams: https://theathletic.com/3436826/2022/07/21/football-covid-why-it-has-become-big-talking-point-again/

Oldtimer
08-17-2022, 11:15 AM
Com'on Bono!
Keep On 'Keeping' On.
Doing fine.
None of this now!

https://twitter.com/PxckedIze/status/1559170484297687040 (https://twitter.com/PxckedIze/status/1559170484297687040)

You can't get a better illustration in how bad he is at organizing the defense (probably his weakest point, although distribution isn't that great as well). Offsetting that somewhat is above-average shot-stopping on regular game play shots.

PawTar711
08-17-2022, 11:34 AM
We need to win. We need the points to get into the playoffs. With the help of our Italian internationals, we'll be able to say that we can trade a non playoff spot for a playoff spot. Go TFC!:scarf::flare::drum::flare::scarf::canada:

ManUtd4ever
08-17-2022, 11:38 AM
Must win.

portu
08-17-2022, 11:46 AM
Wondering what kind of rotation we might see tonight. I’m guessing we see O’Neil or Henry for Mavinga plus Akinola for Jimenez at the least.

Super
08-17-2022, 11:53 AM

Thankfully we don't have to face this problem with a fully vaccinated squad at least.

stevep
08-17-2022, 12:31 PM
If JJ scores on that bicycle kick on Saturday that’s the goal if the year and there is no talk of substituting him
Zlatan goal of two years ago quality

noxx98
08-17-2022, 12:38 PM
With the Kessler out for "health and safety protocols" and Farrell one yellow away from suspension we should be going right at their defence. Farrell will likely try to avoid getting a card and he'll either be alongside Jon Bell, who is inexperienced, or OG, who we all know is quite beatable.

MikeForbes
08-17-2022, 03:22 PM
This game snuck up on me. I am ready for more Insigne magic.

Ultra & Proud
08-17-2022, 03:32 PM
If JJ scores on that bicycle kick on Saturday that’s the goal if the year and there is no talk of substituting him
Zlatan goal of two years ago quality

His confidence is low but that goal plus the breakaway that was borderline offside were really unlucky. He still finished that offside goal off and the bicycle was on target. Until Ayo does something I will look to that that breakaway he had last match that was harder to miss than score and he managed to blunder it.

Yuushalinsky
08-17-2022, 05:05 PM
excited for this one - let's go reds.

MikeForbes
08-17-2022, 05:40 PM
Gotta hand it to New England. The Revolution is one of the coolest names in sports. Even calling them the Revs is cool for anyone who drank the alcoholic beverage of the same name as a teenager in the mid 00's.

MikeForbes
08-17-2022, 06:06 PM
Ayo starts. Everything else remains the same.

https://twitter.com/TorontoFC/status/1560034453799550977?s=20&t=cUahUpW9LVy_iEtfyiS3Ig

jloome
08-17-2022, 06:06 PM
Gotta hand it to New England. The Revolution is one of the coolest names in sports. Even calling them the Revs is cool for anyone who drank the alcoholic beverage of the same name as a teenager in the mid 00's.

Ayo gets the start. Makes sense. JJ looks gassed

noxx98
08-17-2022, 06:12 PM
OG starts for NER as they go with a back 3. They're going to play for a 0-0 draw

Super
08-17-2022, 06:14 PM
Does anyone know what channel will be showing the game? Thanks!

Ultra & Proud
08-17-2022, 06:14 PM
OG starts for NER as they go with a back 3. They're going to play for a 0-0 draw

Whenever I see OG on a starting XI the last thing I think of is a clean sheet.

jloome
08-17-2022, 06:18 PM
So they’re running CFL news right up ‘til 530 on TSN.

Really in touch with the fan base there, MLSE. (They do still OWN them, right?!)

MikeForbes
08-17-2022, 06:19 PM
Just gotta mark Gil out of the game and victory should be assured. That is a really banged up roster. The only guy I can see starting for us besides Gil is Ferrell.

jloome
08-17-2022, 06:20 PM
Whenever I see OG on a starting XI the last thing I think of is a clean sheet.

Arena planning to run a counterattack all day with that lineup, assuming it’s accurate.

portu
08-17-2022, 06:22 PM
New England’s 5-2-3 looks like they’re ready to bunker.

Will be a good test of what’s to come for the frontline. I think that our lack of reliance on scoring in transition will really make it a non-factor.

James17930
08-17-2022, 06:28 PM

Their new crest is pretty smart too.

Now if only they could get a real stadium ...

Ultra & Proud
08-17-2022, 06:35 PM
Arena planning to run a counterattack all day with that lineup, assuming it’s accurate.

It's the smartest idea but our control up front has been a lot better since late July

OgtheDim
08-17-2022, 06:48 PM
Hmm....Omar doesn't do a high line so this looks like bunker ball & hope for a point.

Inklink
08-17-2022, 07:08 PM
Nice footwork by Nelson but probably should have given that to Insigne

notthesun
08-17-2022, 07:13 PM
Osorio touching a guy's chest with his arm is a foul but Criscito getting barged through his back on the edge of the box isn't? Okay, thanks Fotis.

Inklink
08-17-2022, 07:15 PM
Damn, Insigne didn't have eyes on that I think

MikeForbes
08-17-2022, 07:19 PM
Definitely more skill on our side.

Inklink
08-17-2022, 07:19 PM
Wow what a ball by Nelson

OgtheDim
08-17-2022, 07:20 PM
Akinola didn't exactly move all that much on that break that ended up with the ball on his head

portu
08-17-2022, 07:21 PM
Soooo Jayden Nelson, eh?

jloome
08-17-2022, 07:22 PM
Gahd Bazakos is a bad ref.

Inklink
08-17-2022, 07:29 PM
Ayo was falling I think lol

jloome
I never get excited anymore until the VAR check is done.

portu
Nelson is an 8

Inklink
08-17-2022, 07:30 PM
BERNAAAAAAAA

I never get excited anymore until the VAR check is done.

Same for goals.

tfcfans
08-17-2022, 07:30 PM
Bernie makes it look so easy....can he teach the others?!

James17930
08-17-2022, 07:32 PM

He'd better!

notthesun
08-17-2022, 07:32 PM
Ayo was falling I think lol

If Makoun just continued shouldering him off the ball I think he would've been fine, but he dove without getting the ball and ended up dragging Akinola down with him. Still on the softer side of penalties but I see why it was called.

Nelson is having a game, and props to Akinola with a good run to win that penalty.

Inklink
08-17-2022, 07:34 PM
bruh Osorio

OgtheDim
08-17-2022, 07:34 PM
Soooo Jayden Nelson, eh?

Yeh...that is a couple of really good passes.

OgtheDim
08-17-2022, 07:35 PM

Can he teach Bono to stop pens?

or even crosses?

(Gosh I hate the whole "a terrific reaction" bromide - bono effed up more then NER pressed)

Inklink
08-17-2022, 07:36 PM
Nice defending...

portu
08-17-2022, 07:41 PM
MacNaughton is class

Inklink
08-17-2022, 07:42 PM
Did McNaughton just make that pass lol

portu
08-17-2022, 07:42 PM
MacNaughton is CLASS

SenorDingDong
08-17-2022, 07:43 PM
MacNaughton is class

Plus hes a dreamboat!

Inklink
08-17-2022, 07:44 PM
Sloppy Insigne.

jloome
08-17-2022, 07:45 PM
Feel we're in control despite the goal but we'll have problems getting another goal if we can't move the ball quicker.

OgtheDim
08-17-2022, 07:45 PM
We are so much better then them....but all it takes is one more Bono moment...

Yuushalinsky
08-17-2022, 07:52 PM
that goal was greasy af ngl - we need to be good for at least a couple more

los sonadores
08-17-2022, 07:52 PM

And Petrovic is really good. It will probably have to be something special if we get the goal back.

portu
08-17-2022, 07:53 PM
If they can maintain their energy, the goal will come.

Insigne needs to clean up the short passes and touches.

Akinola is a marked improvement.

Yuushalinsky
08-17-2022, 07:54 PM
If they can maintain their energy, the goal will come.

Insigne needs to clean up the short passes and touches.

Akinola is a marked improvement.

JJ has been gassed for a while - let's hope Akinola can boot a couple in against a team not named Montreal.

los sonadores
08-17-2022, 08:02 PM
Soooo Jayden Nelson, eh?

He’s looking good but we were quicker and crisper when Oso moved over to that side.

portu
08-17-2022, 08:06 PM
Pathetic defending. Sleeping.

jloome
08-17-2022, 08:06 PM
Jesus Christ

bono

OgtheDim
08-17-2022, 08:07 PM
Can we finally end the "Bono is good" discussion?

Inklink
Donkey defending and keeping

los sonadores
We really need a better keeper. No question about it.

Oldtimer

What terrible positioning.

notthesun
Bono cannot allow that goal man. That's basically our season right there, you have to stop that.

benito
08-17-2022, 08:08 PM
Poor defending and poor goalkeeping.

Inklink
08-17-2022, 08:09 PM
So that retaliation is OK?

OgtheDim
08-17-2022, 08:12 PM
Bono might be having one of his depth perception moments - I noticed an easily catchable cross in the first half that he let sail basically through the space where he would have caught it.

We can come back from this but those 2 goals were inexcusable.

NK Toronto
08-17-2022, 08:17 PM
We are not being outplayed. New England has a keeper and we don't.

notthesun
08-17-2022, 08:19 PM
Richie man... play the fucking ball and we probably score

Inklink
08-17-2022, 08:20 PM
Richie flop, could have probably had a nice shot on goal instead.

James17930
08-17-2022, 08:22 PM
Richie flop, could have probably had a nice shot on goal instead.

I don't think he flopped. I think he did get tripped up enough to send him down. But not enough for a penalty.

tfcfans
08-17-2022, 08:23 PM
The next 30 minutes might effectively end the season if we don’t put a few more balls in their net....time for the highest paid player in the league to rescue this game....

OgtheDim
08-17-2022, 08:23 PM
Crisp passing?

More like marshmallow

portu
08-17-2022, 08:26 PM
Insigne the worst player for TFC tonight not named Bono?

Bushmancan
08-17-2022, 08:26 PM
We have 70% possession wtf happened?

stevep
08-17-2022, 08:29 PM
Is it possible for insigne to play any worse?

NK Toronto
08-17-2022, 08:30 PM
If Bono had been the keeper on that shot by Insigne it would have gone between his legs

James17930
08-17-2022, 08:31 PM
Insigne the worst player for TFC tonight not named Bono?

He must be exhausted. Obviously not 100%

James17930
08-17-2022, 08:32 PM
If Bono had been the keeper on that shot by Insigne it would have gone between his legs

Is Q hurt? Or is this BB's choice?

Inklink
08-17-2022, 08:32 PM
These corners are very ineffective so far.

James17930
08-17-2022, 08:33 PM
Love that recovery run by Criscito.

OgtheDim
Is Q hurt? Or is this BB's choice?

Q has been out for 6 games now - "lower body injury"

Inklink
Crissyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

benito
What a volley!!!!

Bushmancan
Ok, it must be because i finally found a Pub.

tfcfans
08-17-2022, 08:34 PM
Wow !!!

(Lareya again makes things happen - man do we need to get him back full time for this team next season!)

Bushmancan
We need one more.

Inklink
MLSsoccer.com probably be like "not a GOTW candidate"

OgtheDim
The 4th DP comes through...

James17930
But I love the goal even more!

Inklink
08-17-2022, 08:36 PM
The late offside flag kills me

Amir.
08-17-2022, 08:38 PM
and ppl wanted criscito to play cb...thats why he plays lb...and guess who gets the assist...thats right

Bushmancan
08-17-2022, 08:44 PM
Richie just gives 1000%

OgtheDim
08-17-2022, 08:49 PM
Oh look.....unless there is VAR, this ref ALWAYS goes with 3 minutes extra time.

Yuushalinsky
08-17-2022, 08:49 PM
at the very least we're proving that we can do what needs to be done - bono giving that up was pain and was basically 2 points yeeted into the garbage

Inklink
08-17-2022, 08:50 PM
Nothing from JJ

portu
08-17-2022, 08:52 PM
That’s a win if we have a keeper

notthesun
We basically have to win out on the season now. Can't believe how awful Bono is.

jloome
at the very least we're proving that we can do what needs to be done - bono giving that up was pain and was basically 2 points yeeted into the garbage

Can't do that more than once or twice.

benito
Wasted points tonight

SoccMan2
08-17-2022, 08:53 PM
Season is over bye bye !

NK Toronto
08-17-2022, 08:54 PM
The number one priority in the off season has to be a new keeper.

jloome
08-17-2022, 08:54 PM
Season is over bye bye !

Oh, give it rest. We don't need to win out to do it.

leafsman
08-17-2022, 08:55 PM
Caldwell says a draw is fair result. Tfc dominated look at the stats idiot, should've won

OgtheDim
08-17-2022, 08:55 PM
Need 2 better CB's & a new keeper

&

A few weeks off for Insigne.

James17930
08-17-2022, 08:56 PM
At least it wasn't a loss. Playoffs are still possible.

SoccMan2
08-17-2022, 08:56 PM
Insigne needs to step up hopefully next year because there is just a bunch of exhibition games left now .

portu
08-17-2022, 08:57 PM
Oh, give it rest. We don't need to win out to do it.
We can’t afford to drop many points that’s for sure

NK Toronto
Caldwell says a draw is fair result. Tfc dominated look at the stats idiot, should've won

We did well considering we played the entire game with 10 men.

tfcfans
This is feeling like the Jays of last year — they will get close to the playoffs and in the end they will just miss it — we will lament in the off-season that “just a few more games and we could have made it” —- and like the Jays of 2021, this TFC team would have been the team no one wanted to play in the playoffs....

Bushmancan
08-17-2022, 08:58 PM
We need NYCFC to score another goal. One less team to climb. Miami win is a must.

OgtheDim
08-17-2022, 08:59 PM
This is feeling like the Jays of last year — they will get close to the playoffs and in the end they will just miss it — we will lament not having just a few more games and “we could have made it” —- and like the Jays of 2022, this TFC team would have been the team no one wanted to play in the playoffs....

TFC in the playoffs was always a long shot - you don't turn a roster around this much & expect to be in the top 7.

This season was always about 2023.

tfcfans
08-17-2022, 09:03 PM
TFC in the playoffs was always a long shot - you don't turn a roster around this much & expect to be in the top 7.

I know that intellectually, but emotionally it will still hurt if we miss the playoffs by 3 or less points in the end....will we still have Richie and Oso by the time we get to August 2023?

los sonadores
08-17-2022, 09:03 PM
Frustrating to have such a good eleven and such a lousy keeper. He makes the occasional good or better save but not dependably and the rest of his game is poor. He’s been a wanker for some time now. Maybe it’s confidence, maybe lack of enough of the required skills.

stevep
08-17-2022, 09:05 PM
Nothing from JJ
missed a sitter

PawTar711
08-17-2022, 09:10 PM
If based on everything, Toronto FC played well against a side that is marginally in a better place, to prove that recent wins and a mixture of winning and losing in the beginning, ccan prove that although there are alot of tries, they have to be able to say that they can make the playoffs because its only 3 points away. When the game is not a loss, and a season is long, you can prove that because alot of positive movement and maybe a bit more training might help at downsview, you can argue that Toronto FC is now sort of known:scarf::scarf:

DavemTFC
08-17-2022, 09:13 PM
Not a good result but Holy shit I can't stop replaying the Criscito goal

stevep
08-17-2022, 09:19 PM
Insigne needs to step up hopefully next year because there is just a bunch of exhibition games left now .
He was Absolutely terrible, horrible tonight
i kept expecting him to do better with each passing minute
bit he never got better
total shit night. From him

ag futbol
08-17-2022, 09:20 PM
I know everyone’s expectations are set at win every game and make playoffs but we have to be realistic here.

Bono still plays net. Our strikers are still toothless on a bad day. We haven’t worked out all the kinks.

Let’s celebrate a great goal and try to look to the positives.

stevep
08-17-2022, 09:20 PM

Yes you do. I hate this bullshit apologetics crap
ner is garbage

Ultra & Proud
08-17-2022, 09:25 PM
They had our number tonight and that number was 25.

Everyone been arguing over JJ/Ayo, the Bradleys, our CBs but all the while the true ruiner was waiting in the back for just the right time to do his thing.

It's Ranjitsingh time.

MikeForbes
08-17-2022, 09:52 PM
So disappointing. What a goal from Mimmo though. A new keeper and a number 9 DP cometh in January, I believe.

ManUtd4ever
08-17-2022, 09:52 PM
I thought we played well enough to earn 3 points. Bono has to be better.

Smokecell
08-17-2022, 09:58 PM
Insigne has looked bad. There, I said it.

Canary10
08-17-2022, 10:13 PM
Not a good result but Holy shit I can't stop replaying the Criscito goal

That was an insane goal. Very hard ball to volley across your body like that. He’s been quietly very good for us.

NK Toronto
08-17-2022, 10:18 PM
Stats show TFC had 67% possession, 19 shots vs. 6, 7 shots on target vs. 4. Bono saved the 1st two shots on the 1st goal with the 3rd one going in. NER had 1 shot on target in the 2nd half and it went in. TFC had 17 corners vs nil for NER. We seemed not as energetic tonight and the passing was off. However we deserved to win. This was a "start the car" match but this time for NER.

Oldtimer
08-17-2022, 10:29 PM
I enjoyed the game. It's fun seeing the team overall play much better, and see nice flowing football. I'm not going to sweat the season and be upset if we don't have playoffs. Next season will be different, of course.

los sonadores
08-17-2022, 11:37 PM
I enjoyed the game. It's fun seeing the team overall play much better, and see nice flowing football. I'm not going to sweat the season and be upset if we don't have playoffs. Next season will be different, of course.

It’s night and day being at the stadium these days compared to earlier in the season. A pleasure even if this result was a disappointment. Their line up was thin and they deserved no goals, really, but I agree with BB in the post game press conference: we’re close to being a good team, a good team wins that match.

James17930
08-18-2022, 01:44 AM
I'm really starting to come around to the idea that we would do well to get a DP GK - someone around 25 - 27 who we can keep long-term, that we know is going to be drama free for 5 - 7 years.

Like, maybe this is wishful thinking, but imagine we could lure Zach Steffan back. Or maybe make a big move for Dayne St. Clair (I thought we really should've tried to get him this past off-season).

Is this total pie-in-the-sky?

los sonadores
08-18-2022, 04:49 AM
I'm really starting to come around to the idea that we would do well to get a DP GK - someone around 25 - 27 who we can keep long-term, that we know is going to be drama free for 5 - 7 years.

Like, maybe this is wishful thinking, but imagine we could lure Zach Steffan back. Or maybe make a big move for Dayne St. Clair (I thought we really should've tried to get him this past off-season).

Probably. I’m still mystified as to why we didn’t choose St. Clair in the draft. Except that we favoured heavily the upstanding All-American type (not unlike Vanney himself)… that would, of course, rule out Canadians.

Gringo Starr
08-18-2022, 05:51 AM
I wish I had this attitude, I might have been the most miserable guy in the stadium last night, even after Chricito’s goal all I could think was who cares we still need one more. Then spent the car ride home cursing Bono to no end

Gringo Starr
08-18-2022, 06:02 AM
At least it wasn't a loss. Playoffs are still possible.
Yeah still possible, big missed opportunity though since the Revs have a game in hand.

ensco
08-18-2022, 06:12 AM
Fundamentally, yeah, defending and Bono… we can’t win every game 3-2 or 4-3.

This is a tougher league than it used to be. New England is an average time but gave us fits. They conceded possession strategically which made us feel more “dominant” than we were. They were well organized, marked well, played the counter, didn’t give us much time or space in the final third, and exposed our lack of time together.

Also why did Gonzalez have to pick last night to make his best play ever at BMO?

Also Insigne was, it has to be said, very noticeable in his … passing. Not in good ways.

nick.mastro
08-18-2022, 06:52 AM
from being almost dead last and in one summer transfer window were unbeaten in 5

For January:
New striker DP
CBs coming in
GK

2023 we are going to kick ass

CorrwgBach
08-18-2022, 07:56 AM

This is a tougher league than it used to be. New England is an average time but gave us fits. They conceded possession strategically which made us feel more “dominant” than we were. They were well organized, marked well, played the counter, didn’t give us much time or space in the final third, and exposed our lack of time together.

Also why did Gonzalez have to pick last night to make his best play ever at BMO?

Also Insigne was, it has to be said, very noticeable in his … passing. Not in good ways.

I was writing a post but this said it better. One thing that gives me hope is that apart from the philly and montreal games all other teams we play will be trying desperately to win. Lot of 5-4's for us! :scarf:

stevep
08-18-2022, 08:27 AM
I wish I had this attitude, I might have been the most miserable guy in the stadium last night, even after Chricito’s goal all I could think was who cares we still need one more. Then spent the car ride home cursing Bono to no end
In the tunnel people were saying it was Bono’s fault the loss
a lot of Bono bashing
Expected goal chart the first goal had a 4% probability of scoring from that position
And the second goal the scoring probability was 2% from the area he took the shot
8/1000 probability if you take two shots from those spots you will score two goals
stop with nonsense drivel here call a spade a spade it was all Bono’s fault and to a lesser degree ok mafnifico
if we can still call him that after last night
upon sober reflection this morning I am dumbfounded as to how Insigne could play so poorly
there was one play in particular that is etched in my mind
he intercepted a ball in NER half Bernie made a run easy quick pass to Bernie would have resulted in a great scoring chance. He did not make the pass he held onto it dribbled and took a shot right at the keeper from distance

DavemTFC
08-18-2022, 08:32 AM
In retrospect I think this really was a must win considering its a 3 game week, it was at home, we played our best 11 again, and our third game is in Florida in August. Even getting a point in Miami will be tough, especially with Poz probably wanting revenge, and 5 points is below the very high standard we need to make the playoffs. Lolo and Oso especially looked gassed and as a pretty direct consequence we didn't have enough incisive movement in the box or good final passes. And there's nothing to add about Bono. On the bright side I thought this was Nelson's best game yet. His improvement the last few games has been remarkable

It was always a long shot to make the post season this year so as long as we look good (which we do) we'll be in good shape for next year

Ultra & Proud
08-18-2022, 08:34 AM
call a spade a spade it was all Bono’s fault
You're right, this one is on Bono 100%. Every team we play I watch the opposing GK and we haven't faced any that I wouldn't swap Bono for. If he isn't the worst starting GK in MLS now then he is for sure pretty close.

Ultra & Proud
08-18-2022, 08:37 AM
The up until this point positives:

For sure Bradley & Manning know we need a new GK and Bono is done.
Nelson finally showing progress.
MacNaughton looks like a solid MLS CB.
The Italians are doing good but not 'tearing the league apart' so that is a better look if we aim for more of them this winter.

SenorDingDong
08-18-2022, 08:54 AM
Yea not sure why everyone is mad.

Since the DP's started we are undefeated. Team is exciting to watch and if we have this same team from the start of the season we are easily in a playoff spot. TFC in June going down a goal would have caved. This team shows fight.

Nelson and MacNaughton growing every game.

Insigne was off last night but folks need to remember - the guy hasn't had a full off season in 2 years now, with the Euro Cup last summer and jumping from a full SerieA campaign to MLS this one. Same with Berna. There are going to be games where they both look totally gassed.

I am actually hoping they both stay uninjured. That amount of load with so little rest is risky.

613reppingTFC
08-18-2022, 09:23 AM
Here are the highlights from last night:
https://youtu.be/ahemp-ApKb8
I'm not going to try and defend Bono, but on that first goal (around 3 min mark) I know he probably should have scooped and grabbed the first chance but he didn't and it spilled for 2 more shots. Would any of this not have fallen on Mavinga just standing there watching as McNamara keeps getting chances? Mimo noticed it got spilled and ran to the goal line to try and block any other shots towards the net but was unsuccessful while Mavinga just stood and watched McNamara keep hitting the ball. I get he probably was expecting Bono to pick it up or smother it but anyways..

On the second goal I kept watching the replay last night, now I'm not a keeper and don't have any formal training and such so maybe someone who has had some training in the area could comment. But when you are trying to set yourself as a keeper and someone is coming in on you, i get being on your toes..but Bono is just jumping up and down constantly. Is this something they train you to do? If the ball gets hit while you are in the air (which it did), it's impossible to then land and plant yourself in order to move quickly enough to do anything when they are shooting from that close. You can see he jumps as he is hitting it and the ball is pretty much passing him as he tries to land and move again.

It was probably the first match I didn't actually hate watching Nelson play. He is getting much better playing in that role and he had two sublime passes, the one to Ayo and a nice long ball for Berna to run onto.

I know it's been said but I'll repeat it because I had to stop counting after 7 or so miss placed passes by Insigne, he just played so poorly.

DinamoTFC
08-18-2022, 09:48 AM
There's no way Bono can be this bad (he actually had a decent run of games leading up to this). In fact there's no way all our GKs can be this bad. The only constant remains - goalkeeping coach Jon Conway. Get rid of him already.

SenorDingDong
08-18-2022, 09:50 AM
Here are the highlights from last night:
https://youtu.be/ahemp-ApKb8
I'm not going to try and defend Bono, but on that first goal (around 3 min mark) I know he probably should have scooped and grabbed the first chance but he didn't and it spilled for 2 more shots. Would any of this not have fallen on Mavinga just standing there watching as McNamara keeps getting chances? Mimo noticed it got spilled and ran to the goal line to try and block any other shots towards the net but was unsuccessful while Mavinga just stood and watched McNamara keep hitting the ball. I get he probably was expecting Bono to pick it up or smother it but anyways..

On the second goal I kept watching the replay last night, now I'm not a keeper and don't have any formal training and such so maybe someone who has had some training in the area could comment. But when you are trying to set yourself as a keeper and someone is coming in on you, i get being on your toes..but Bono is just jumping up and down constantly. Is this something they train you to do? If the ball gets hit while you are in the air (which it did), it's impossible to then land and plant yourself in order to move quickly enough to do anything when they are shooting from that close. You can see he jumps as he is hitting it and the ball is pretty much passing him as he tries to land and move again.

It was probably the first match I didn't actually hate watching Nelson play. He is getting much better playing in that role and he had two sublime passes, the one to Ayo and a nice long ball for Berna to run onto.

I know it's been said but I'll repeat it because I had to stop counting after 7 or so miss placed passes by Insigne, he just played so poorly.

Bono absolutely should have stopped the second. Petrovic saves that all day.

Mr. Inbetween
08-18-2022, 09:51 AM
Mi chiamano Mimmo!
They call me Mimmo!

Unsung hero...
His name is Mimmo, he's Napoletano...
Played for Genoa, was their Capitano...
:)

A fine - class addition to TFC.
Fine command of the English language as well.

Another assist by that Michael guy ehh?
'...gave a good ball to me'

leedsandTFC
08-18-2022, 09:55 AM
we're still a work in progress, as last night showed.

completely dominant yet gave away 2 goals and couldnt finish or break down their 10 man defence often enough.

we need 2 new starting CBs, a GK, and a DP striker next year.

plus midfield depth. i think it'll happen though.

mavinga + bono + westberg make about 2 mill combined, that's a ton in this league, all out of contract this offseason. mavinga has been alright recently but for 1 mill + your defender should be at the top of MLS and he...isn't.

ag futbol
08-18-2022, 09:57 AM
As is the case write most MLS goals it’s rarely one thing or person.

On goal number one Laryea does an awful job of closing out. Bono spills the ball. CB’s slow to clear.

Goal #2 Nelson lets his man walk inside too easily. Arguably Osorio should have got closer to the passer but overall that setup should be fine as the whole defence is positioned to push NE wide. Laryea’s positioning along the backline is out of whack and he’s keeping guys onside. Macnaughton slightly slow to read the play and recover. And of course Bono blows it letting in a goal from a bad angle.

Bono the most obvious downfall but quite a few others not covering themselves in glory.

SenorDingDong
08-18-2022, 10:02 AM
we're still a work in progress, as last night showed.

completely dominant yet gave away 2 goals and couldnt finish or break down their 10 man defence often enough.

we need 2 new starting CBs, a GK, and a DP striker next year.

plus midfield depth. i think it'll happen though.

mavinga + bono + westberg make about 2 mill combined, that's a ton in this league, all out of contract this offseason. mavinga has been alright recently but for 1 mill + your defender should be at the top of MLS and he...isn't.

BB and Manning are definitely all over our weak spots right now, sure they are collecting possible names.

That said man - this team is exciting. If we had a DP striker we bury more goals in.

Ultra & Proud
08-18-2022, 10:08 AM
There's no way Bono can be this bad (he actually had a decent run of games leading up to this). In fact there's no way all our GKs can be this bad. The only constant remains - goalkeeping coach Jon Conway. Get rid of him already.
I've been saying this for 5+ years already.

Every keeper under his watch has regressed year to year.

nick.mastro
08-18-2022, 10:18 AM
Since our strikers are doing nothing, is it crazy to play Akinola/Jiminez on the right wing and try Bernadeschi in the middle

Ultra & Proud
08-18-2022, 10:24 AM
Since our strikers are doing nothing, is it crazy to play Akinola/Jiminez on the right wing and try Bernadeschi in the middle

Going by the form of JJ & Ayo why not toss Peruzza out there for a bit.

NK Toronto
08-18-2022, 10:43 AM
I can't stop thinking what would our offense be like if we had only held on to Poz for at least the rest of this season and played him as a false nine between LI and Berna.

leedsandTFC
08-18-2022, 10:53 AM
I can't stop thinking what would our offense be like if we had only held on to Poz for at least the rest of this season and played him as a false nine between LI and Berna.

it'd be bad, we're lacking movement in behind, he'd just clog up the same spaces insigne and berna play in.

PizzaEatingYeti
08-18-2022, 10:53 AM

I think is a pie-in-the-sky, and anyways, we do not need to sacrifice a DP spot for a keeper, but just an "international" spot.

There are a truckload of a lot better, experienced keepers than Bono, not older than 27, credited with values between 500,000-800,000 Euros at Transfermarkt from first divisions of countries like Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Belgium, Poland, Switzerland, Austria, maybe France 2 and Italy 2, etc.
I think these should be our selection target areas for a good, dependable keeper, who we can go with for 5-6 seasons.

And, very importantly, latest in the winter off-season we need to replace our current goalkeeper coach, who seems is with TFC forever, and is doing a lousy job.
It seems that the best he could do is a goalkeeper not regressing, but most our keepers regressed at TFC under his coaching.

Yuushalinsky
08-18-2022, 11:06 AM
I think is a pie-in-the-sky, and anyways, we do not need to sacrifice a DP spot for a keeper, but just an "international" spot.

There are a truckload of a lot better, experienced keepers than Bono, not older than 27, credited with values between 500,000-800,000 Euros at Transfermarkt from first divisions of countries like Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Belgium, Poland, Switzerland, Austria, maybe France 2 and Italy 2, etc.
I think these should be our selection target areas for a good, dependable keeper, who we can go with for 5-6 seasons.

And, very importantly, latest in the winter off-season we need to replace our current goalkeeper coach, who seems is with TFC forever, and is doing a lousy job.
It seems that the best he could do is a goalkeeper not regressing, but most our keepers regressed at TFC under his coaching.

Much of the coaching is the through-line that has existed throughout the latter Vanney - Armas/Perez - Bradley line right now. I think that there's finally a new strength+conditioning coach in Steven Haines but the fact that Conway is still here and not identified as one of the people holding onto past glory is odd.

Initial B
08-18-2022, 11:06 AM
Not going to happen - he's married to Andi Petrillo. It's one case where the Bogers/MLSE dynamic is not favourable to TFC.

Kamp Berg
08-18-2022, 11:20 AM
Not going to happen - he's married to Andi Petrillo. It's one case where the Bogers/MLSE dynamic is not favourable to TFC.

Nepotism at its worst. It’s okay to hire friends and family when they do a good job, but he’s clearly not. Maybe with Apple taking over next year this cycle can be broken? I guess it all depends on whether Andi is able to stay employed in some capacity. There is no doubt that keeper has been the weakest position on the team since Frei left.

The defence needs an overhaul this off-season, but at least games are exciting again! Also, Nelson playing much better is giving me hope that maybe more of the kids can improve in the new setup.

MikeForbes
08-18-2022, 11:45 AM
This goal though.

https://twitter.com/TorontoFC/status/1560292108468109313?s=20&t=WtkhT5kywE_EuqP5QZ02ww

ronzilla
08-18-2022, 11:48 AM
Terrible blunder from Bono, although let's not forget he also came up big during the game. He's also been decent enough this past month and saved our skin on several occasions. It would be foolish to make decisions based on one single play.

The biggest prblem is our strikers, especially JJ, who's done nothing for far too long. Starting Akinola was a slight improvement. For the next DP spot, I'm on the fence between a striker or CB, leaning more towards a CB.

DinamoTFC
08-18-2022, 11:59 AM
I've been saying this for 5+ years already.

Every keeper under his watch has regressed year to year.
Right! It's shocking how no one else has noticed this pattern from management.

DinamoTFC
08-18-2022, 12:02 PM

Very good. Worst mistake of the entire season. Doesn't even need to be false 9 but would probably be best here. Could also play Nelson's position since Kaye has missed so many games.

Oh Poz where art thou...

NK Toronto
08-18-2022, 01:30 PM

Andi works for One Soccer which has nothing to do with MLSE, Bell or Roger's. In fact One Soccer is complaining to the CRTC that Roger's refuses to carry their station.

stevep
08-18-2022, 01:30 PM
Very good. Worst mistake of the entire season. Doesn't even need to be false 9 but would probably be best here. Could also play Nelson's position since Kaye has missed so many games.

Oh Poz where art thou...
You have to understand something
the league does not want that scenerio you have just said
tfc would be unbeatable. The league does not want that it wants parity so fans come out to see they’re team and spend money
miami is a better team now
tjats what the league wants
Dont forget the league owns tfc

Ultra & Proud
08-18-2022, 01:45 PM
tfc would be unbeatable. The league does not want that it wants parity so fans come out to see they’re team and spend money

League doesn't own TFC. League owns the contracts of the players on TFC but only so it can continue to function as a single entity league to keep costs down for cheapos.

League can't control who teams sign or move and as much as they say they want parity, they'd love a solid dynasty to market the hell out of. Obviously they would prefer that team to be LAFC, LAG, or Miami (maybe Vegas if they come in) but in the meantime they sure like using our Italian players for their marketing blitzes.

Oldtimer
08-18-2022, 01:54 PM

Oh Poz where art thou...

No it wasn't. TFC needed the $150K GAM to move up from 22nd to 1st in the allocation list to get MAK in the end. Would you keep Pozuelo and lose MAK? Especially since Pozuelo was always going to leave for a free at the end of the year and making the playoffs would still be unlikely?

I thought the standard theory (at least on Big Soccer) is that LAG/LAFC and NYCFC/NYRB get dodgy exemptions all the time from parity because MLS doesn't really want parity but wants Big Media Market Teams to win? :D

In reality trading Poz for GAM was a very sensible bit of work that would still have occurred in any other league, just structured as a sale. I doubt Don Garber phoned up Bob Bradley and said that TFC needed to trade away Pozuelo. That's not how MLS works.

Oldtimer
08-18-2022, 02:08 PM
League doesn't own TFC. League owns the contracts of the players on TFC but only so it can continue to function as a single entity league to keep costs down for cheapos.

It's complicated. The league legally holds 51% of the shares of each subsidiary (TFC being legally a subsidiary division of MLS LLC), the Owner/Operator owns 49%. This has no practical effect in everyday operations, for TFC the Owner/Operator MLSE runs the team as their own subsidiary. This setup is there so that a rogue Owner/Operator can be forced out. If anyone wonders if that possibility is needed, take a quick look at the history of why the NHL replaced the National Hockey Association. MLS had some of the best lawyers set up their single-entity thing and it shows.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Hockey_Association

That doesn't mean that MLS F.O. dictates anything to clubs in their day-to-day operations. In fact no way would the Owners of the league stand for it today. Instead the Competition Committee creates standard rules that everyone must follow. Unfortunately, the majority of that committee happens to be the most cheapskate owner/operators in MLS.

Bushmancan
08-18-2022, 02:23 PM
Speaking of MAK, anyone know what his status is. Would be great to have another set of legs for Miami.

jloome
08-18-2022, 02:34 PM
New England had 39 clearances in a single game. Typical trap game, where the bunkered team gets a couple of lucky breaks and steals a point.

Also, we completed a somewhat mind-boggling 599 passes at at 86% clip.

Yohan
08-18-2022, 03:30 PM
Never count out a Bruce Arena couched team. Somehow, Old Brucie gets results

los sonadores
08-18-2022, 03:36 PM
Mi chiamano Mimmo!
They call me Mimmo!

Unsung hero...

He’s been my favourite Italian so far.

portu
08-18-2022, 03:38 PM
This was a draw, but for evaluative purposes this was really a win.

We were excellent; New England’s bunker and shitty football didn’t matter; a keeper who will no longer be at the club next year cost us the game.

Last night the missing pieces (besides a keeper) were subs. Guys were clearly huffing and puffing through the last 15 minutes and there is no one anyone near quality to bring on. We complain about the strikers, but scoring goals really isn’t an issue right now. Rotation is. Last night made me think the long-term solution is young money signings instead of a 3rd DP.

los sonadores
08-18-2022, 03:40 PM

Omar, man, he saved a clear goal. And NE may be middling but they’ve lost only twice (NYFC and Philly) since April….

Ultra & Proud
08-18-2022, 03:42 PM
Last night made me think the long-term solution is young money signings instead of a 3rd DP.

Probably a better move but would depend on how they change the MLS mechanisms with all this new money.

Mr. Inbetween
08-18-2022, 03:49 PM
Andi works for One Soccer which has nothing to do with MLSE, Bell or Roger's. In fact One Soccer is complaining to the CRTC that Roger's refuses to carry their station.

Split of a hair.
IIRC, she was still a part of the Bell/TSN organization within this past year when she 'moved on'?
There may have been a verbal agreement or even a negotiated (package) clause in her deal/s with them, or MLSE previously, relating to his 'continued' employment.
Without understanding Conway's terms of employment- contract length, he may now be deemed as non-renewable or expired.

ag futbol
08-18-2022, 03:53 PM
Terrible blunder from Bono, although let's not forget he also came up big during the game. He's also been decent enough this past month and saved our skin on several occasions. It would be foolish to make decisions based on one single play.

The biggest prblem is our strikers, especially JJ, who's done nothing for far too long. Starting Akinola was a slight improvement. For the next DP spot, I'm on the fence between a striker or CB, leaning more towards a CB.
My thought would be people occasionally strike gold with a CB on TAM money and plenty of TAM CB’s are solid. For a striker on TAM you can get someone who sometimes reliably bangs in goals based on great service but rarely would you find an outright star. For that reason I’d use the DP spot on the striker

los sonadores
08-18-2022, 04:00 PM
This was a draw, but for evaluative purposes this was really a win.

We were excellent; New England’s bunker and shitty football didn’t matter; a keeper who will no longer be at the club next year cost us the game.

Last night the missing pieces (besides a keeper) were subs. Guys were clearly huffing and puffing through the last 15 minutes and there is no one anyone near quality to bring on. We complain about the strikers, but scoring goals really isn’t an issue right now. Rotation is. Last night made me think the long-term solution is young money signings instead of a 3rd DP.

The young DP way doesn’t sound like our/Manning’s way. I think there’s still a desire to make the academy come good rather than sign kids from outside, as well as no need to make money on transfer fees, and on the other hand, the wealth of the media ownership screams splashy signings.

More than whether we sign a DP striker or defender, I’m curious to know what depth we sign. Bradley is really going to have to do well there if we’re going to be really good over a season. And as much as I’d hate to see it, best might be to not make the playoffs and give everyone a rest, BB time to wear his Sporting Director hat and come back strong.

los sonadores
08-18-2022, 04:07 PM
My thought would be people occasionally strike gold with a CB on TAM money and plenty of TAM CB’s are solid. For a striker on TAM you can get someone who sometimes reliably bangs in goals based on great service but rarely would you find an outright star. For that reason I’d use the DP spot on the striker

Yeah, I agree. There is no need to sign a DP centre-half in this league. Unless you’re maneuvering to be rid of a certain mistake of a DP winger, that is.

Section 223
08-18-2022, 04:54 PM
Nothing wrong with Conway, an under 16 keeper makes those saves, Bono is on his farewell tour from here on , most probably out of soccer next year

Section 223
08-18-2022, 05:11 PM
Nepotism at its worst. It’s okay to hire friends and family when they do a good job, but he’s clearly not. Maybe with Apple taking over next year this cycle can be broken? I guess it all depends on whether Andi is able to stay employed in some capacity. There is no doubt that keeper has been the weakest position on the team since Frei left.

The defence needs an overhaul this off-season, but at least games are exciting again! Also, Nelson playing much better is giving me hope that maybe more of the kids can improve in the new setup.
Not doing a good job and Nepotism like when TFC hired Bob after he ran LAFC down the toilet last year?

Ultra & Proud
08-18-2022, 06:50 PM
Not doing a good job and Nepotism like when TFC hired Bob after he ran LAFC down the toilet last year?
You mean ran them down because Thorrington blew all the new club allocation money in years one & two so they had to move on a lot of their better players to be cap compliant?

Section 223
08-18-2022, 07:53 PM
You mean ran them down because Thorrington blew all the new club allocation money in years one & two so they had to move on a lot of their better players to be cap compliant?
And with Bradley gone didnt take LAFC too long to get back on top of the standings

DinamoTFC
08-18-2022, 07:55 PM
No it wasn't. TFC needed the $150K GAM to move up from 22nd to 1st in the allocation list to get MAK in the end. Would you keep Pozuelo and lose MAK? Especially since Pozuelo was always going to leave for a free at the end of the year and making the playoffs would still be unlikely.

TFC had a boatload of GAM/TAM saved up. They could have sold anything or anyone for a small 150k if they really needed that little bit more.

Knowing that Kaye was partially injured/recovering when the deal for him was made keeping Poz was also sensible. Poz's intelligence to be able to play with Insigne, Bernardeschi, and support Jimenez etc would be more beneficial to the team IMO. And Poz did say he would also come back at a smaller contract. He also wouldn't make a direct eastern conference playoff opponent better. Deal for Kaye could have also been done in off-season, not like we are getting that much out of him since his injury has resurfaced.

James17930
08-18-2022, 07:56 PM

But she works for One Soccer, no? How is she involved with MLSE and-or Bogers?

los sonadores
08-18-2022, 08:14 PM
TFC had a boatload of GAM/TAM saved up. They could have sold anything or anyone for a small 150k if they really needed that little bit more.

Knowing that Kaye was partially injured/recovering when the deal for him was made keeping Poz was also sensible. Poz's intelligence to be able to play with Insigne, Bernardeschi, and support Jimenez etc would be more beneficial to the team IMO. And Poz did say he would also come back at a smaller contract. He also wouldn't make a direct eastern conference playoff opponent better. Deal for Kaye could have also been done in off-season, not like we are getting that much out of him since his injury has resurfaced.

If it was a fantasy game, yes, but in the real, Poz was unhappy and wanted to go to Miami and our manager was totally focussed on getting things to work well with who he wanted here.

Ideally, we send him to the western conference but that wasn’t really on either.

noxx98
08-18-2022, 08:19 PM
And with Bradley gone didnt take LAFC too long to get back on top of the standings
In 2020 and 21 when LAFC struggled Vela played 424 minutes and 1,267 minutes. This season he's up to 1,800 minutes. There's your answer for what happened.

DinamoTFC
08-18-2022, 08:23 PM
If it was a fantasy game, yes, but in the real, Poz was unhappy and wanted to go to Miami and our manager was totally focussed on getting things to work well with who he wanted here.

Ideally, we send him to the western conference but that wasn’t really on either.

And not long before he said that to Miami media he was telling us he wanted to be here and would come back for less and he was excited to be able to play with Insigne.

los sonadores
08-18-2022, 08:46 PM
And not long before he said that to Miami media he was telling us he wanted to be here and would come back for less and he was excited to be able to play with Insigne.

He was our most expensive player with the responsibilities that come with that. He’s never going to flat out state he wants to be gone. But he wasn’t adapting, wasn’t being used properly. It was obvious that the fit wasn’t good. You don’t shoehorn him into a false nine under those circumstances.

los sonadores
08-18-2022, 08:49 PM
In 2020 and 21 when LAFC struggled Vela played 424 minutes and 1,267 minutes. This season he's up to 1,800 minutes. There's your answer for what happened.

Zimmerman was let go as well. That was pretty obviously going to be trouble.

OgtheDim
08-18-2022, 09:37 PM
I notice the people in here still arguing that Bradley is a crappy coach are the ones who think we can rent players for 6 months....

20 & 21 were also covid years

Mr. Inbetween
08-18-2022, 10:10 PM
Mi chiamano Mimmo!
They call me Mimmo!

Unsung hero...

He’s been my favourite Italian so far.

https://twitter.com/Total_TFC/status/1560239987328786433

Michele: Bro!
Mimmo: Bro!
Michele: Com'onnn you!
Mimmo: Nah, you!
Michele: Bro!... grazie a Dio... your here!
Mimmo: Bro!... I got you... tutto bene!
http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/images/smilies/heart.gif http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/images/smilies/heart.gif http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/images/smilies/heart.gif http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/images/smilies/heart.gif http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/images/smilies/heart.gif

DinamoTFC
08-18-2022, 10:56 PM
He was our most expensive player with the responsibilities that come with that. He’s never going to flat out state he wants to be gone. But he wasn’t adapting, wasn’t being used properly. It was obvious that the fit wasn’t good. You don’t shoehorn him into a false nine under those circumstances.

You really think he wouldn't be able to fit in with Insigne, Berna, Bradley and the rest of the group!?!? Whether he's on the field replacing Nelson or Jimenez I can 100% assure you our results would be better.

los sonadores
08-18-2022, 11:34 PM
You really think he wouldn't be able to fit in with Insigne, Berna, Bradley and the rest of the group!?!? Whether he's on the field replacing Nelson or Jimenez I can 100% assure you our results would be better.

You’re missing my point entirely.

Ultra & Proud
08-19-2022, 09:54 AM

Even though it's not what los sonadores was getting at, I will say no, he wouldn't fit in as a #9 because he would instictively do exactly what JJ is doing wrong; dropping too deep and not being in the typical target #9 zone when the ball is coming in from both flanks. Poz needs the ball to go through the middle and if that's what we were going to do then we just wasted $25M on wide players.

OgtheDim
08-19-2022, 09:58 AM
Poz would be dropping back to the wings to pickup the ball - what Insigne & Bernadeschi do already.

ag futbol
08-19-2022, 10:05 AM
At best, we would have keep Poz here for six months and after that he would have skipped town. Questionable how motivated he might have stayed under the circumstances.

It’s square-peg, round role type of stuff here.

Oldtimer
08-19-2022, 10:21 AM
Even though it's not what los sonadores was getting at, I will say no, he wouldn't fit in as a #9 because he would instictively do exactly what JJ is doing wrong; dropping too deep and not being in the typical target #9 zone when the ball is coming in from both flanks. Poz needs the ball to go through the middle and if that's what we were going to do then we just wasted $25M on wide players.

You've hit on something very important. I've realized from my own past coaching experience that there are two types of highly talented players:

(1) "Left brained" talented players who think very logically but are super fast at that logic. They take direction well, analyze the game well, and can be played in different formations and strategies. They can even do decently playing a different position if they know the plays well enough. Osorio is a good example of this kind of player for TFC.

(2) "Right brained" talented instinctual players. These players don't do logic, instead they've developed a highly-honed "feel" for the game. They just know where to be at the right time to make plays happen. They are much less flexible, however, as they can't use logic well to over-ride their instincts, even though they might try.

Pozuelo is the second type of player. Very talented, but you build the system and the team around him if you want him. There's no way he bends into a false 9 to fit BB's system. That's where his frustration came from; he liked Toronto and wanted to play with talented players like Insigne but couldn't make himself fit the system. So this is why we are getting mixed messages of him both wanting to be here and be somewhere else.

MB by the way is a hybrid of these two types, which makes him a unique and interesting player that would be fun to work with.

jloome
08-19-2022, 10:23 AM
Poz would be dropping back to the wings to pickup the ball - what Insigne & Bernadeschi do already.

We still have this issue with Jesus. He's an inverted winger (outside forward for those of us over 50), not a number nine, which is why he drifts high and wide and is out of position to make runs.

But his interplay makes it worth seeing if he can adapt and stay central.

Ayo's also a converted winger.

Ultra & Proud
08-19-2022, 10:39 AM
We still have this issue with Jesus. He's an inverted winger (outside forward for those of us over 50), not a number nine, which is why he drifts high and wide and is out of position to make runs.

I will give it to Ayo that he learned where to be as a 9 but he just doesn't look physically up to it yet. I agree with Jiminez. I think if he simplified his game and forced himself to stick to a zone or play off the shoulder of the last defender he would be doing himself a favor. At least until he gets in sync with what's happening now.

And what is it with Jozy and now Ayo as bigger, stronger type central forwards that can never win aerial battles?

los sonadores
08-19-2022, 03:11 PM
I think all the above Pozuelo posts/observations are correct. In short, positionally speaking, he’s not at his best either as a 9 or a winger and Bradley doesn’t use a 10… so it’s no surprise he’s no longer here.

Ayo’s an interesting one in the sense that he was an effective winger for the US young Nats and Vanney converted him under the guidance of Jozy. He’s often, to me, not looked entirely comfortable in that role, still regularly has trouble holding up the ball, for example.

los sonadores
08-19-2022, 03:15 PM

Yeah, I’m still hoping JJ has a role moving forward. He would at least be good depth in all three forward positions. What sort of money is he on?

rydermike
08-19-2022, 03:20 PM
Yeah, I’m still hoping JJ has a role moving forward. He would at least be good depth in all three forward positions. What sort of money is he on?

He's on $935k.

Ultra & Proud
08-19-2022, 04:04 PM
Only way he could stay as a bench option is if they really do a number on the salary cap or allocation $$$ amounts.

DinamoTFC
08-19-2022, 05:49 PM
Let me clarify a couple things. I'm not talking about Poz long term fitting in, but rather short term for the second half of season and playoff push. Also too much focus is being put on him as a false 9 (which is plan B) and not in the midfield.

Since Pozuelo left we have had 9 games.
Nelson started 7 and Kaye 2.

Without comparing Kaye and Poz and people's preferences. Knowing Kaye was riding an injury when being signed. That's 7 games Poz could have and would have contributed more to results than Nelson. Not hating on Nelson at this moment to be clear.

This is a playoff push that didn't need to be so extremely difficult is my point.

OgtheDim
08-19-2022, 06:32 PM
Just a reminder that Poz leaving opened the door to Bernardeschi.....Salcedo told the team he needed to leave after Poz was all but gone. Not saying Bernardeschi wouldn't have signed without Poz going but it wouldn't have been so quick or the timing as good as it seems to have been.

NK Toronto
08-19-2022, 06:48 PM
Let me clarify a couple things. I'm not talking about Poz long term fitting in, but rather short term for the second half of season and playoff push. Also too much focus is being put on him as a false 9 (which is plan B) and not in the midfield.

Without comparing Kaye and Poz and people's preferences. Knowing Kaye was riding an injury when being signed. That's 7 games Poz could have and would have contributed more to results than Nelson. Not hating on Nelson at this moment to be clear.

This is a playoff push that didn't need to be so extremely difficult is my point.

What is also disappointing is that we didn't get much in return for Poz.

ensco
08-19-2022, 10:55 PM

We are not paying Poz's salary for the second half of 2022. YOU got almost nothing but MLSE made out with something.

OgtheDim
08-20-2022, 06:10 AM
We got the ability to move towards Berenardeschi quicker.

Player acquirement is not linear a la Football Manager.

As in all talent recruitment for all organizations, there were a lot of 3 dimensional movements going on - I wouldn't call this chess as the pieces do not have movement restrictions that much & chess implies strategic rigour which life does not have to endure.

(I am a firm believer in the application of chaos theory to organizational structures -complex systems theory attempts to make this into a science but I prefer to just enjoy the chaos)

Hala Hrvatska
08-20-2022, 01:01 PM

Agreed my favourite player. And you get bet he will put on a show tonight and burn us big time.

Mr. Inbetween
08-20-2022, 04:07 PM
We got the ability to move towards Berenardeschi quicker.

Player acquirement is not linear a la Football Manager.

As in all talent recruitment for all organizations, there were a lot of 3 dimensional movements going on - I wouldn't call this chess as the pieces do not have movement restrictions that much & chess implies strategic rigour which life does not have to endure.

(I am a firm believer in the application of chaos theory to organizational structures -complex systems theory attempts to make this into a science but I prefer to just enjoy the chaos)

Might you also be suggesting that Lorenzian Chaos gave us Lorenzo?

Section 223
08-20-2022, 05:01 PM

I agree with everything you are saying, it’s something one of the journos can ask Bob, but on second thought he will give us the old song and dance, sure would be nice to have Poz with us instead of against us tonight

Ultra & Proud
08-20-2022, 06:10 PM
I agree with everything you are saying, it’s something one of the journos can ask Bob, but on second thought he will give us the old song and dance, sure would be nice to have Poz with us instead of against us tonight

The explanation on why Poz wouldn't be any better than JJ at 9 is above. Pretty easy to understand why he wouldn't work there.

OgtheDim
08-20-2022, 06:17 PM
It should be noted that BB was asked the game before Poz left what was going on with Poz & BB went into a 5 minute discussion of how much they tried to get Poz to fit.

The idea that BB gave up on Poz is ludicrous. Like all things, there is a bit of grey involved in this. Poz does not fit BB's system - nor does it fit life with Insigne - he especially wouldn't fit life with Insigne, Bernadeschi & Domenic Crisicto doing his best impression of a playmaker who just happens to play LB (Criscito often ends games with the most passes on the team).