PDA

View Full Version : Match Day 25 - Portland @ TFC Saturday August 13 7:38pm - Down by the water

OgtheDim
08-09-2022, 06:29 AM
The summer swells anon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR9DjdMrpHg

Have at It People

Yuushalinsky
08-09-2022, 07:56 AM
a real test of skill and strength - I'm expecting a draw here but I want us to win - we can't afford to be lackadasical and good form is always appreciated.

noxx98
08-09-2022, 08:37 AM
Portland has been good, but not great lately. 2-0-5 in their last 7 games. We'll need our offence to be rolling at 110%, but I think we can take this one.

Joe Kool
08-09-2022, 08:38 AM
Do we have Kaye back yet? Love that we have Laryea now so if we could just get Kaye back in the lineup it would be golden.

613reppingTFC
08-09-2022, 10:23 AM
Well let's hope our guys don't get too banged up as Portland has the most yellow cards in the league sitting on 73, I thought Nashville had a lot but i guess they only had 57. I liked seeing the ref very early on pointing at Insigne and saying no more fouls on him.

Mr. Inbetween
08-09-2022, 02:45 PM
Again... hoping...

https://formation-images-cdn.homecrowd.io/images/HCD/2022/8/9/w35XKHUhTut4SCXOThaY.png
Toronto FC, MLS
(https://homecrowd.io/formation/render?id=w35XKHUhTut4SCXOThaY)

Mr. Inbetween
08-09-2022, 03:19 PM
We find ourselves navigating a tumultuous sea to MLS Playoffs, unable to 'Ever Rest'!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGzOfXITytg (http://
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGzOfXITytg)

(https://youtu.be/iGzOfXITytg)

MikeForbes
08-09-2022, 04:21 PM
Portland is a tough opponent for anyone. Probably the most consistently underrated franchise in MLS. With that said, if we play like we did last weekend (with some better defending on setpieces), we should be able to grab 3 points.

James17930
08-09-2022, 06:56 PM
Again... hoping...

https://formation-images-cdn.homecrowd.io/images/HCD/2022/8/9/w35XKHUhTut4SCXOThaY.png
Toronto FC, MLS
(https://homecrowd.io/formation/render?id=w35XKHUhTut4SCXOThaY)

And how good has McNaughton been? He's really grown in the last few months. Starting to make me move away from thinking we need a DP CB and just a regular depth-kind-of CB. And Mavinga has looked solid the last few games again too.

James17930
08-09-2022, 06:57 PM
The summer swells anon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR9DjdMrpHg

Have at It People

Excellent choice!

ronzilla
08-09-2022, 07:54 PM
Need better defending, regardless of not having quality CBs. Conceding three goals is unacceptable. MacNaughton is on the right track, but needs to do better, you don't run away from attackers.

Time is running out for Jiménez. Eight games with no goals or assists. Either produce or Akinola takes your spot. Frankly, I would prefer to start Akinola until JJ shows improvement.

If all goes well, TFC win 3-1.

We shall see.

los sonadores
08-09-2022, 08:15 PM
And how good has McNaughton been? He's really grown in the last few months. Starting to make me move away from thinking we need a DP CB and just a regular depth-kind-of CB. And Mavinga has looked solid the last few games again too.

Looking at the quality of our eleven - over 450 caps between Canada, US and Italy including 6 active players - all experienced but McNaughton. Pretty impressive that he’s holding his own as a late blooming CPLer.

And yeah, I sense Mavinga’s had a wake up call. And it would be to his advantage to be smarter (less reckless) defensively… his speed won’t last forever. All the same, his ability to carry the ball out of the back and pass should suit Bob’s style and be to our good advantage.

los sonadores
08-09-2022, 08:27 PM
Need better defending, regardless of not having quality CBs. Conceding three goals is unacceptable. MacNaughton is on the right track, but needs to do better, you don't run away from attackers.

Time is running out for Jiménez. Eight games with no goals or assists. Either produce or Akinola takes your spot. Frankly, I would prefer to start Akinola until JJ shows improvement.

If all goes well, TFC win 3-1.

We shall see.

As others have pointed out, two of Nashville’s three were bullshit. On the first, Bono did nothing more than he had to do to stop the strike, got the ball only, and the man went down when he stepped on top of Bono. If anything it should have a foul in our favour.

The second was clearly offside. Bad reffing, bad VAR. It’s naive to think a ref can see anything under the lights with crap video on a screen. Our culture is a bit dumb when it comes to screens and video.

All to say, that was in essence a 4-1 win.

ronzilla
08-09-2022, 08:50 PM
As others have pointed out, two of Nashville’s three were bullshit. On the first, Bono did nothing more than he had to do to stop the strike, got the ball only, and the man went down when he stepped on top of Bono. If anything it should have a foul in our favour.

The second was clearly offside. Bad reffing, bad VAR. It’s naive to think a ref can see anything under the lights with crap video on a screen. Our culture is a bit dumb when it comes to screens and video.

Only one goal was questionable. The other two were legit.

jloome
08-09-2022, 08:54 PM
Only one goal was questionable. The other two were legit.

Even Nashville’s announcing crew, in replaying the penalty “block” by Bono in slow motion, admitted it wasn’t a penalty. Sapong is already over him and reaches back with his foot, kicking off Bono, who has already passed him.

And Bunbury was clearly offside, too. They showed several angles in the TSN replay and he was a half yard off, not even close.

I have zero doubt those were both terrible calls.

leedsandTFC
08-09-2022, 09:43 PM
Need to win all the home games to make playoffs.

Portland are decent but I suspect that we'll have too much for them with a fully fit team.

3 1 or 2 0 win imo

jloome
08-10-2022, 12:24 AM
Need to win all the home games to make playoffs.

Portland are decent but I suspect that we'll have too much for them with a fully fit team.

3 1 or 2 0 win imo

Bookies seem to like us at 3-1 to win by 1 and 10-2 to win by two, according to bwin.

leedsandTFC
08-10-2022, 12:32 AM
Bookies seem to like us at 3-1 to win by 1 and 10-2 to win by two, according to bwin.

portland are yet to beat a team from the east (2 draws, 2 losses), and are yet to win an away game outside cascadia (wins vs sounders and van only away wins all year).

they are a decent side especially going forward but with a week to prepare at home and a full complement to choose from we should have too much for them.

OgtheDim
08-10-2022, 06:44 AM
Portland smothers games in the midfield. They make the game chippy & ensure there is no flow. They can be destroyed with a decent through ball but you have to have your guys given the time to make that pass.

I suspect JJ might have a decent game if Insigne & Bernardeschi & Oso & Kaye(?) can get on the ball with time.

This is the sort of game where Nelson's patented "getting into a good area and then stopping to think while they all get back into position" technique is going to really hurt us. Like a defender showing a forward to his weak side, I suspect Portland will give up space to Nelson.

Hala Hrvatska
08-10-2022, 09:05 AM
Portland smothers games in the midfield. They make the game chippy & ensure there is no flow. They can be destroyed with a decent through ball but you have to have your guys given the time to make that pass.

I suspect JJ might have a decent game if Insigne & Bernardeschi & Oso & Kaye(?) can get on the ball with time.

This is the sort of game where Nelson's patented "getting into a good area and then stopping to think while they all get back into position" technique is going to really hurt us. Like a defender showing a forward to his weak side, I suspect Portland will give up space to Nelson.

Yeah, there was one 2 vs 2 counter in the first half last game where Nelson should have given it to Insigne but instead goes and then inexplicably stops, gets surrounded and loses the ball. You can imagine how pissed Insigne was on that one.

No doubt the game plan will be double on Ingisne and Fede, and let Nelson have the ball. And also target us on set pieces like Nashville did.

Ultra & Proud
08-10-2022, 09:22 AM
No doubt the game plan will be double on Ingisne and Fede, and let Nelson have the ball. And also target us on set pieces like Nashville did.

The first part is every team's gameplan against us and the second one wasn't designed specifically for us. That's the Smith strategy; counter and/or try to earn free kicks in dangerous areas.

Hala Hrvatska
08-10-2022, 09:28 AM

Bono was reckless on sliding out when the forward had no angle and it was 100% penalty. Just a dumb play by him.

Second goal, Bradley beat again easily on a header and its in the back of the net. Not sure if onside or not, but should have never even happened.

And we did get lucky mcarty missed from point blank in the 4th minute when Oso left him...then another one around the 18th minute when (again) Bradley let Romney have a free header...and then the last play of the game, we gave up another free header that just missed the back post.

4-3 was a fair result I think, and glad to get out of there with the 3 points.

jloome
08-10-2022, 09:32 AM
Nelson did really well in the last game; his stat line was solid and he was in the league’s young players of the week round up. But obviously we saw in Charlotte how well Kaye works with this system.

I suspect if they try to double either winger, it’ll open huge holes for Oso and Jimenez to move into, which then shifts the rest of the defence over and leaves the back post open for the other winger.

It’s sort of why Bradley uses it, I think. If your two most skilled and quickest players are both wingers, the middle clears out really frequently. Jimenez hasn’t seen much of the ball in scoring positions but he does make very solid dummy runs, so that contributes as well.

A lot depends on which ref we get and how much they get away with. If it’s Fotis Bazakos, we might be in trouble, as you could basically shoot a guy with a Smith & Wesson M&P .40 cal and he’d wave ‘play on.’

If it’s Victor Rivas, all of our skill players should just retire before the game because he misses fucking everything.

Hala Hrvatska
08-10-2022, 09:34 AM
The first part is every team's gameplan against us and the second one wasn't designed specifically for us. That's the Smith strategy; counter and/or try to earn free kicks in dangerous areas.

Watching how we defend set pieces, that would be every team's strategy on us I think, especially when we are playing at home.

Ultra & Proud
08-10-2022, 10:31 AM
Watching how we defend set pieces, that would be every team's strategy on us I think, especially when we are playing at home.
This is a typical attitude for some. All season we've defended set pieces well enough as most of our issues came from getting caught on the break from the wings but we happen to have a match against a team that targets this as a main part of their offense and scores so this is now our achilles heel. And of course it has to be pinned on MB.

Charlotte also targets this and MB got a WHO Scored rating over 9 and I saw no mention of this then. Or ever really before this week.

Hala Hrvatska
08-10-2022, 10:48 AM
This is a typical attitude for some. All season we've defended set pieces well enough as most of our issues came from getting caught on the break from the wings but we happen to have a match against a team that targets this as a main part of their offense and scores so this is now our achilles heel. And of course it has to be pinned on MB.

Charlotte also targets this and MB got a WHO Scored rating over 9 and I saw no mention of this then. Or ever really before this week.

Typical attitude of some? I can't offer my opinion? If you think we defend set pieces well, then I guess we will agree to disagree. My post didn't single out Bradley, you did that yourself it looks like. But if you didn't see him qet beat very easily 3 times in the air by journeyman romney plus not track the man beside him on the final header, then what can I tell you. He should not be man marking on corners in particular because he can't/won't. Put him on a goal post. Mcnaugton got beat on the third goal, but he battled and went up, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Oso flat out let Mccarty open in the 4th minute and put up his hand to claim offside which of course was not. And Bono also is part of the problem as he can't command the box on crosses. We need to collectively do alot better.

MB had a good game vs Charlotte, as did everyone else and I am looking for that this Saturday night again. What else do you want me to say. If someone plays well, I'll say it. Someone doesn't, I'll say it.

Cheers, Illl be there Sat night cheering the boys on to victory. Its now a "final" every game down the stretch. Must wins and if we get into the playoffs, we will be dangerous.

Ultra & Proud
08-10-2022, 11:04 AM
Typical attitude of some? I can't offer my opinion? If you think we defend set pieces well, then I guess we will agree to disagree. My post didn't single out Bradley, you did that yourself it looks like.

It is a typical attitude for some. When the currently hated TFC player does well: silence. Any mistakes therafter by him or anyone else plus us dropping points with a draw or loss will usually end up being attributed to the hated player in some way.

Also you did mention MB. Did you forget this one a couple posts up?

Second goal, Bradley beat again easily on a header and its in the back of the net. Not sure if onside or not, but should have never even happened.

And we did get lucky mcarty missed from point blank in the 4th minute when Oso left him...then another one around the 18th minute when (again) Bradley let Romney have a free header...and then the last play of the game, we gave up another free header that just missed the back post.

Hala Hrvatska
08-10-2022, 11:08 AM
You forget this one a couple posts up?

I didn't single out Bradley, i mentioned Oso too right in that one. And you'll note I was kind enough not to mention who left the man for the last header...)

But okay, did you see Bradley get beat repeatedly or not by Romney? Or is it just me and Section 223? )

And do you think we defend set pieces well, or not?

Ultra & Proud
08-10-2022, 11:45 AM
And do you think we defend set pieces well, or not?

Over the entirety of 2022? Yes.

Last weekend? No.

Hala Hrvatska
08-10-2022, 11:58 AM
Over the entirety of 2022? Yes.

Last weekend? No.

I guess we'll agree to disagree. Watch this Saturday at the inevitable mayhem in our box and on set pieces against. I guarantee we'll give up big chances off set pieces. And its not about player personanel, its about being willing to be committed to mark your man and win the 1 vs 1 battle in the air.

PS if you don't mind answering, did you see Bradley get beat repeatedly by Romney the other night or not? And very badly at that. If you attribute it to me "hating" Bradley (you edited your post to slide that in so that's why I am asking), then I guess I just am curious if you saw the same thing me and my buddies and son all saw. And my man Section 223 also.

Cheers. And "see" you Sat night if you are going. Should be a great one, the weather will be great, time for 3 points.

Mr. Inbetween
08-10-2022, 11:59 AM
...Second goal, Bradley beat again easily on a header and its in the back of the net. Not sure if onside or not, but should have never even happened...

...My post didn't single out Bradley, you did that yourself it looks like. But if you didn't see him qet beat very easily 3 times in the air by journeyman romney plus not track the man beside him on the final header, then what can I tell you. He should not be man marking on corners in particular because he can't/won't. Put him on a goal post. Mcnaugton got beat on the third goal, but he battled and went up, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.
MB had a good game vs Charlotte...

For the most part, it seemed Romney was beating everyone from TFC that match; had TFC's number 'in the air'.
On the second, it has been already noted that Criscito appeared the closet to, and should have marked, Bunbury; not Bernardeschi's fault.
The initial Romney head on that play seemed to have three TFC members teaming him of which Bradley was one and behind him.
Fair enough on the third, Bradley did track his opponent for a moment. Perhaps an experience/judgement call.
He may have broke off when he realized the trajectory of the kick. Maybe he just got picked by his own teammate and/or opponent?
I think we are all in agreement, everyone on the pitch for TFC has to defend corners and set pieces way better!
Especially since we want to move forward in the standings and playoffs.
BTW, we all have our pet peeves regarding this team's roster.
For some, fairly, it involves the MBradley question.
IMHO, for a series of reasons, unless the situation devolves drastically...
The reality is that his position does not get meaningfully addressed until the next summer or following winter's windows.
The organization, yes his father!, views MBradley as the last on-field concern / piece of the puzzle for now.

Hala Hrvatska
08-10-2022, 12:02 PM
For the most part, it seemed Romney was beating everyone from TFC that match; had TFC's number 'in the air'.
On the second, it has been already noted that Criscito appeared the closet to, and should have marked, Bunbury; not Bernardeschi's fault.
The initial Romney head on that play seemed to have three TFC members teaming him of which Bradley was one and behind him.
Fair enough on the third, Bradley did track his opponent for a moment. Perhaps an experience/judgement call.
He may have broke off when he realized the trajectory of the kick ; maybe he just got picked by his own teammate and/or opponent?
I think we are all in agreement, everyone on the pitch for TFC has to defend corners and set pieces way better.
The reality is that his position does not get meaningfully addressed until the next summer or following winter's windows.
The organization, yes his father!, views MBradley as the last on-field concern / piece of the puzzle for now.

Well said brother. Nice post.

Mr. Inbetween
08-10-2022, 01:04 PM
From now on, it's all in, do or die, footy forward, best performances by all needed.
Although I will take a little luck... horseshoes or hand grenades as they say... along the way.

'Look... it's a scramble!'

https://twitter.com/nocontextfooty/status/1557089759088066560 (https://twitter.com/nocontextfooty/status/1557089759088066560)

Section 223
08-10-2022, 05:58 PM
He may have broke off when he realized the trajectory of the kick. Maybe he just got picked by his own teammate and/or opponent?
I think we are all in agreement, everyone on the pitch for TFC has to defend corners and set pieces way better!
I see the Bradley situation as blatant nepotism. With Bob’s plan of a complete rebuild what was the point of playing his 35 year old son? We have experimented with kids in all positions, why not sit Mike down for several games and give some younger players a run? Have the kids learned anything?I don’t see it. TFC has conceded 42 goals this year, a Michael Bradley errant pass , missing a marking assignment, and losing out on an aerial challenge has directly led to 7 goals. Would playing a kid in his position have made things worse?

Ultra & Proud
08-10-2022, 06:48 PM
Would playing a kid in his position have made things worse?

First, we're obviously in an accelerated rebuild. The summer window was the start of the season so to speak. Could MB have sat in the first half? Sure but BB was trying to salvage whatever he could until the summer window.

Second, what kid do we have could play his position since the ball comes out through him often. Have to be somebody who doesn't lay off soft sideways passes and that eliminates almost all our kids.

Third, since we weren't intentionally in tank mode, and this has been asked a lot times by a few people, who could play in MB's position and actually be more effective even? Not hypothetically better like Priso before his move, but actually better.

So yes, we could have been worse. We could have been dead last in the standings and GA.

Mr. Inbetween
08-10-2022, 06:59 PM
I see the Bradley situation as blatant nepotism. With Bob’s plan of a complete rebuild what was the point of playing his 35 year old son? We have experimented with kids in all positions, why not sit Mike down for several games and give some younger players a run? Have the kids learned anything?I don’t see it. TFC has conceded 42 goals this year, a Michael Bradley errant pass , missing a marking assignment, and losing out on an aerial challenge has directly led to 7 goals. Would playing a kid in his position have made things worse?

I completely understand and respect your position.
There are community members that share your perspective.
I do no think Michael's overall metrics this year warrant the amount of ire he is getting.
Okello has showed moments of potential. Still injured? Priso? Now gone. Others?
I am not sure another or 'new' youth at his position this year would have served TFC better.
I cannot argue that nepotism has not and is not occurring.
My take is much, much, different on this matter than most; but that's on me and my quirks.
For me, MBradley is half the eye in the storm of this TFC rebuild.
The other half is Mr. Coca Cola (LT) and his / The Hand (MU).
The situation is not one of father protecting son.
It is one of son favouring and supporting father.
None of this happens without Michael.
For me, in 'Godfather' parlance, 'Manning's a pimp'; he is / will be the convenient cut-out.
For me, every move, relating to this project, the on and off field direction of the team...
Is being 'back-channeled or dinner-discussed' between the B's ad nauseam.
For better or worse it is 'O Captain, My Captain!'.
For now, I am ok with this.
He was a big part of getting us to 'the shows' a few times.
I believe, one way or another he helps get us there a few times again.

Section 223
08-10-2022, 07:26 PM
First, we're obviously in an accelerated rebuild. The summer window was the start of the season so to speak. Could MB have sat in the first half? Sure but BB was trying to salvage whatever he could until the summer window.

Second, what kid do we have could play his position since the ball comes out through him often. Have to be somebody who doesn't lay off soft sideways passes and that eliminates almost all our kids.

Third, since we weren't intentionally in tank mode, and this has been asked a lot times by a few people, who could play in MB's position and actually be more effective even? Not hypothetically better like Priso before his move, but actually better.

So yes, we could have been worse. We could have been dead last in the standings and GA.
Strongly disagree with everything you say above,Who could play Bradley’s position? How about Oso, what about a Priso Poz Oso midfield ? You can add one of the kids and go with a four man midfield. I’m sorry I seem negative towards Bradley but his play last year and in many games this year has been very difficult to watch. His calling out players on field when half the time he is the one responsible has left me with a bad taste,

Amir.
08-10-2022, 07:40 PM
Bradley has been one of the best players of the team this year but the blind hate will always be there no matter what and even more now that his father is the coach...if the kids wouldnt be playing it would have been "hey why arent they playing??" but now that theyve played its "hey this and that never allowed them to perform, they were never put in a position to succeed, this and that player should have been benched" meanwhile what is going on in colorado? priso started two in which he got pulled out at the break and at 62 and stayed on the bench in two others...and more recently didnt make the 20 player squad and got sent to play next pro...fraser hates him, its always other peoples fault right?

ag futbol
08-10-2022, 07:48 PM
Strongly disagree with everything you say above,Who could play Bradley’s position? How about Oso, what about a Priso Poz Oso midfield ? You can add one of the kids and go with a four man midfield. I’m sorry I seem negative towards Bradley but his play last year and in many games this year has been very difficult to watch. His calling out players on field when half the time he is the one responsible has left me with a bad taste,
I wouldn’t go to the same lengths but i directionally agree with the point his shortcomings are obvious at times and his role on the team as a player needs to be lessened.

Inability to keep pace /defend the counter attack, getting targeted on set pieces, and showing signs of age stand to me as obvious reasons why this now 35 year old club legend needs to accept a Cheyrou-type role.

Signing experienced journeyman to split minutes with Bradley makes sense to me in the interim with a true replacement / starter signed in the offseason.

Hala Hrvatska
08-10-2022, 08:29 PM

Exactly. And the thing I fear is because he has at least another year on the contract, we won't look for his replacement. Any competition is shipped out and we won't buy either. And then we'll likely extend him past 2023 as won't develop someone or buy.

Hala Hrvatska
08-10-2022, 08:32 PM
Bradley has been one of the best players of the team this year but the blind hate will always be there no matter what and even more now that his father is the coach...if the kids wouldnt be playing it would have been "hey why arent they playing??" but now that theyve played its "hey this and that never allowed them to perform, they were never put in a position to succeed, this and that player should have been benched" meanwhile what is going on in colorado? priso started two in which he got pulled out at the break and at 62 and stayed on the bench in two others...and more recently didnt make the 20 player squad and got sent to play next pro...fraser hates him, its always other peoples fault right?

When Perez had the balls to yank Mike last year and went with Priso we played some of our best football. Of course, Mike threw a fit and Perez then was a dead man walking. And Priso and Fraser who both can play his position were jettisoned out the door.

Amir.
08-10-2022, 09:35 PM
and Michael Bradley called Fraser to tell him to bench Priso and send him to the second team

Ultra & Proud
08-10-2022, 09:50 PM
and Michael Bradley called Fraser to tell him to bench Priso and send him to the second team

Maybe Fraser has a son who wants to play CDM. That's the only possible reason.

DavemTFC
08-10-2022, 10:52 PM
Maybe Fraser has a son who wants to play CDM. That's the only possible reason.
Liam to the Rapids?

Mr. Inbetween
08-11-2022, 12:05 AM
Liam to the Rapids?

I enjoyed following the bouncing ball and your mind on this.
'Nothing like a little judicious levity'-RSL'?
:)

barticusz
08-11-2022, 12:21 AM
When Perez had the balls to yank Mike last year and went with Priso we played some of our best football. Of course, Mike threw a fit and Perez then was a dead man walking. And Priso and Fraser who both can play his position were jettisoned out the door.

Can you point me to where and how Bradley threw a fit?

i would agree Bradley wasn’t amazing last year, this year he’s been very good. The stats show that too it’s been one of his statistically best seasons with us. Priso had a chance to push for minutes all year with the injuries to oso and roster that was ripe for the taking. You can blame BB as an easy out however at the end of the day he couldn’t make it through a really depleted roster. I hope that this move gives him a chance but not even making the bench for The Rapids is potentially telling. Unless he is injured.

OgtheDim
08-11-2022, 06:24 AM
Game thread

Pre game

Discussion of Michael Bradley as a force for good or evil within TFC culture

I need more coffee to handle this...

Yuushalinsky
08-11-2022, 06:47 AM
Game thread

Pre game

Discussion of Michael Bradley as a force for good or evil within TFC culture

I need more coffee to handle this...

some days man, some days

Portland is 2-4-6 away - and while on the surface they're a better team, this one is far different from the one that we were earlier this year. the defense is still a work in progress but should be vastly improved and at home, I think this one has to be 3 points against a team with a negative GD away from home.

Oldtimer
08-11-2022, 09:27 AM
The stats show MB is still one of the best midfielders in MLS. That's all we need to know.

ManUtd4ever
08-11-2022, 12:56 PM
Bradley has proven time and time again that when he is surrounded by high calibre players, he can elevate his game.

Mr. Inbetween
08-11-2022, 01:00 PM
I would really enjoy seeing another one of these posted late this Saturday evening please.

https://twitter.com/Total_TFC/status/1556156970859696128 (https://twitter.com/Total_TFC/status/1556156970859696128)

los sonadores
08-11-2022, 01:26 PM
The stats show MB is still one of the best midfielders in MLS. That's all we need to know.

As others have observed, the relentlessly negative crowd’s posts often seem to have little to do with the subjects of their posts. Only in the sense that negativity might be a little easier to pour into Micheal Bradley posts than say, Insigne or Bernadeschi posts (for now, that is). Reminds me a bit of a certain type of person - in the days when most did their banking in the real - who would harass the poor bank tellers with the frustrations of their day, their life or their character. Beneath the surface of the complaint was something surely unrelated to the complaint. I guess the institution of the bank seemed a safe bet to rail against. And little regard for the people who had to listen.

los sonadores
08-11-2022, 01:34 PM
Looking forward to attending this match. Although the result matters hugely - every win keeps alive the long shot of the playoffs - it’s already a sort of pleasure, two days before, to know that chances are we play the beautiful game with some beauty and promise.

los sonadores
08-11-2022, 02:11 PM
Anyone know if Kaye is ready to go? While Nelson looked genuinely okay last match, maybe for the first time, Kaye is a big upgrade. It’ll take a while for the Italians to become used to playing with him but right away he kept things moving in “a good way” as the Bradleys often put it.

jloome
08-11-2022, 04:37 PM
Anyone know if Kaye is ready to go? While Nelson looked genuinely okay last match, maybe for the first time, Kaye is a big upgrade. It’ll take a while for the Italians to become used to playing with him but right away he kept things moving in “a good way” as the Bradleys often put it.

Now that they know how the midfield is going to operate the lion’s share of the time, it would be nice to get Okello back from injury, too, get him into a backup role with some solid minutes.

I noticed Criscito and Insigne were one-two in most touches for us last game, and it wasn’t really close. Criscito had 94, Insigne was somewhere in the eighties, most other players in the fifties or below.

I guess that means we’re focussing on the left-side of the pitch, huh?

ag futbol
08-11-2022, 05:43 PM
I’m going to respectfully disagree here. The statistical models are far from full proof (especially the ones we layman look at).

If you see an opposing attacker barrel though midfield and Michael Bradley drops to the back between the CB’s rather than pressure (as should be a DM’s primary job) it has little statistical impact on his score. The impact on our team on the other hand is huge.

All the following can be true: a great player, a great servant to the club, and at 35 years of age, not able to contribute in the same way he was earlier in the career.

Gogon
08-11-2022, 07:55 PM
in “a good way” as the Bradleys often put it.

Ha! You noticed that. It's one of "in a good way". "in a strong way", or "in a big way". In fact, neither Bradley has ever used an adverb, ever. I noticed this with Mike years ago; he has no adverbs in his vocabulary. And then when his dad pitched up, I noticed the exact same speech pattern - zero adverbs. They're limited to refining verbs with "in a xxxx way" (or not at all). This goes a long way to explaining their reputations as being so-called straight-talkers. It's difficult to add nuance if you don't have adverbs.

los sonadores
08-11-2022, 08:33 PM
I’m going to respectfully disagree here. The statistical models are far from full proof (especially the ones we layman look at).

If you see an opposing attacker barrel though midfield and Michael Bradley drops to the back between the CB’s rather than pressure (as should be a DM’s primary job) it has little statistical impact on his score. The impact on our team on the other hand is huge.

All the following can be true: a great player, a great servant to the club, and at 35 years of age, not able to contribute in the same way he was earlier in the career.

I would have been with you on this much of the previous three seasons but this season he’s played very well. Bradley’s looked genuinely good most of the time especially in the midst of a much stronger line up.

Statistically he’s actually been the best at his position this year. I wouldn’t say Bradley is the best but he’s not been lacking overall, relative to his strengths in his good years.

I took an Iranian friend to a TFC match, he had played competitive football in his university days and has a very good eye but knows zero about the club. This was a rare good home game (after the arrival of Mimmo and Kaye but before the two newest Italians) and his main comment on our players was about how good #4 was. Bradley still has many good qualities and a certain command that his 150 caps reinforces.

los sonadores
08-11-2022, 08:42 PM
Now that they know how the midfield is going to operate the lion’s share of the time, it would be nice to get Okello back from injury, too, get him into a backup role with some solid minutes.

I noticed Criscito and Insigne were one-two in most touches for us last game, and it wasn’t really close. Criscito had 94, Insigne was somewhere in the eighties, most other players in the fifties or below.

I guess that means we’re focussing on the left-side of the pitch, huh?

I’d like to see Okello get some time as well. I know he hasn’t looked good of long late but sometimes sitting for a while helps… and he did seem to have so much potential.

Playing through the left side seems to be working so far. Criscito in particular has been brilliant for us. I’d be wary of the insistence on the left were it not for how good the right can be. Full matches from Layrea should help overall, and our ability to switch the field should make us lethal.

Mr. Inbetween
08-12-2022, 12:30 AM
...he kept things moving in “a good way” as the Bradleys often put it.

Ha! You noticed that. It's one of "in a good way". "in a strong way", or "in a big way". In fact, neither Bradley has ever used an adverb, ever. I noticed this with Mike years ago; he has no adverbs in his vocabulary. And then when his dad pitched up, I noticed the exact same speech pattern - zero adverbs. They're limited to refining verbs with "in a xxxx way" (or not at all). This goes a long way to explaining their reputations as being so-called straight-talkers. It's difficult to add nuance if you don't have adverbs.

https://c.tenor.com/eRn4LABoUlwAAAAM/back-to-the-future-taking-notes.gif

:)

Oldtimer
08-12-2022, 08:36 AM

Don't mind discussing this at all. I think an 85% pass completion (one of the best records in the league for a midfielder), expected goals per 90 minutes are all still up there. So he's still quite strong offensively. On the defensive side what you are saying about not pressuring as much is true much of the time and probably is because he's slowed down a bit and knows that he won't win the tackle. I'm not sure that equals to benching him and playing someone else, our defensive woes have many factors.

jloome
08-12-2022, 10:13 AM
Don't mind discussing this at all. I think an 85% pass completion (one of the best records in the league for a midfielder), expected goals per 90 minutes are all still up there. So he's still quite strong offensively. On the defensive side what you are saying about not pressuring as much is true much of the time and probably is because he's slowed down a bit and knows that he won't win the tackle. I'm not sure that equals to benching him and playing someone else, our defensive woes have many factors.

He was averaging two tackles per game the last time I looked, so he’s not terrible defensively, either.

His inability to keep up with explosive attackers sometimes hurts us but usually it’s when the team’s defensive shape has already begun to fall apart.

That’s really been reduced over the last five games. I think his tackle rate has gone down slightly but that’s to be expected if he’s not trying to play anchor, rather than two-way (which all three mids have to play in this system, it alternates between staggered and triangle defensively, for the most part).

I’ve certainly argued his speed costs us sometimes and there’s no doubt we improved under Vanney when he was out for most of 2020 and Osorio/Delgado played twin pivots. But we don’t have Mark Delgado anymore, and Bradley is playing really well right now, so it’s a bit moot.

The dude is old enough that he probably sees next year as his final year playing; if he spends it platooning, I don’t think he’d be surprised or difficult about it. For all the various discussions of the Bradleys as passionate and argumentative about football online, he’s never struck me as a dummy.

ag futbol
08-12-2022, 10:53 AM
That’s entirely fair. You’re right that he’s not singularly the issue on defence.

Not suggesting we boot the guy out but I think always going 90 and / or playing twice a week when the scheduling gets bunched is unwise. Appreciating our depth is paper thin and that complicates rotation.

JoesphNdo
08-12-2022, 01:00 PM

Bradley has literally never been good offensively, even in his prime. Bottom line - his goals and assists record with us is there for all to see, and it is what it is over an extremely long sample. And that's fine for a player in his position, Busquets isn't judged on his offensive game and neither should Bradley.

His best seasons have come from when he's focused on the defensive side of his game, and you can measure that by him getting more interceptions/tackles and trying less long and chipped passes those seasons on Whoscored. His problems all occur when he tries to be something offensively he isn't

I do agree he is not the sole issue with our defense, though, and we have deeper issues there. His age is showing, but he's still a solid DM when he focuses on that part of his game and still has some great assets (His touches per game continues to be absolutely elite level and that's a huge difference maker in that area). His problem continues to be that he doesn't seem to want to focus on that part of the pitch and his game breaks down when he tries to be some kind of play maker

leedsandTFC
08-12-2022, 01:12 PM
as for bradley not keeping up with explosive attackers, he even got blown past in his prime.

i was watching the portland home highlights from 2017 the other day and check out the clip starting at 1:40.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQXZU1lAaLE&t=295s

i think people have tricked themselves into thinking that that tackle vs columbus was how michael bradley was all the time prior to 2019.

maybe it happens more often now, but this has always happened (and does with basically every cdm).

jloome
08-12-2022, 02:04 PM
Bradley has literally never been good offensively, even in his prime.

I mean… he was never in the position to be. The one season he played in the hole, for Hereenven in the Eredivisie, he had 15 goals in the league and another 3(? going by memory, sometimes shoddy) in cup play.

So…. 18 goals in a season in the Eredivisie is an outlier, but one that says his role had more to do with it than his ability.

I should also note he was about 19 years old at the time, so a looong time ago.

JoesphNdo
08-12-2022, 02:35 PM
I mean… he was never in the position to be. The one season he played in the hole, for Hereenven in the Eredivisie, he had 15 goals in the league and another 3(? going by memory, sometimes shoddy) in cup play.

So…. 18 goals in a season in the Eredivisie is an outlier, but one that says his role had more to do with it than his ability.

For sure, again judging a defensive mid fielder on their offensive output is, obviously, completely unfair. But it's also ridiculous to say someone with no statistically measurable offensive output over a long period of time with us has been strong offensively. It's not his game, and that's fine, but it just isn't true to say he has ever been strong offensively with us

Ultra & Proud
08-12-2022, 03:04 PM
But it's also ridiculous to say someone with no statistically measurable offensive output over a long period of time with us has been strong offensively.

There's also deep lying playmakers and facilitators where their input is invaluable to the offense but it will never show on that stats sheet other than with passing % and positive pass numbers. Not saying Bradley is that but everything runs through him from the back for better or worse.

JoesphNdo
08-12-2022, 03:28 PM
There's also deep lying playmakers and facilitators where their input is invaluable to the offense but it will never show on that stats sheet other than with passing % and positive pass numbers. Not saying Bradley is that but everything runs through him from the back for better or worse.

True to an extent, but I don't know of many with as few goals, assists, second assists and key passes (Records on the latter two being hard to find except in the very modern era, granted) over a long sample. Somebody like say Xabi Alonso or to an extent Pirlo would be an example of this and they show up with *alot* more goals and assists than Bradley has with us.

They won't get the numbers of a number ten, but you'll see their output show up in the numbers still

portu
08-12-2022, 03:54 PM

He played pretty high up in the midfield diamond in 2015.

5 goals, 6 assists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j23sC_Zf8Wg

los sonadores
08-12-2022, 03:57 PM
True to an extent, but I don't know of many with as few goals, assists, second assists and key passes (Records on the latter two being hard to find except in the very modern era, granted) over a long sample. Somebody like say Xabi Alonso or to an extent Pirlo would be an example of this and they show up with *alot* more goals and assists than Bradley has with us.

They won't get the numbers of a number ten, but you'll see their output show up in the numbers still

Just out of interest: Bradley, career club and country: 62 goals in 629 matches. One in ten.

2006 - 2011 in Holland and Germany, 26 in 139. One in Five.

How a player is used and with whom - context - is of course, huge. Once he got to Italy he played deeper.

Ultra & Proud
08-12-2022, 03:58 PM

I believe he could probably average 5 or so a year still if he decided to shoot more often. So many times he is pretty clear at the top of the box and passes it off. Probably because he has his mind on the defensive side because we're shit on counters but still.

Didn't he have some ridiculous stat a few years back where he took almost no shots all season?

los sonadores
08-12-2022, 03:59 PM

5 goals, 6 assists

He did. This debate has been going in for some years, hah - what’s Bradley’s best role?

los sonadores
08-12-2022, 04:08 PM

5 goals, 6 assists

Btw, thanks for digging up those highlights. Great in general (no pun intended) to see.

OgtheDim
08-12-2022, 07:28 PM
He did. This debate has been going in for some years, hah - what’s Bradley’s best role?

Now?

Funny thing about this debate is we all seem to be forgetting the Charlotte game.

Weather tomorrow will be less then hot but sunny - great weather for hopefully a big crowd.

Ultra & Proud
08-12-2022, 07:56 PM
Now?

Funny thing about this debate is we all seem to be forgetting the Charlotte game.

Weather tomorrow will be less then hot but sunny - great weather for hopefully a big crowd.

I didn't forget that Charlotte match and how much better Bradley plays when he doesn't *feel* like he has to do everything and be everywhere.

And yes, tomorrow should have some awesome weather. Looking forward to not roasting.

Redcoe15
08-12-2022, 10:26 PM
Will the game be streamed somewheres? My satellite receiver quit on me today, and I won't get a new one in for 2-3 business days!

Hala Hrvatska
08-13-2022, 07:38 AM
For sure, again judging a defensive mid fielder on their offensive output is, obviously, completely unfair. But it's also ridiculous to say someone with no statistically measurable offensive output over a long period of time with us has been strong offensively. It's not his game, and that's fine, but it just isn't true to say he has ever been strong offensively with us

Fully agreed. And his stats are very inflated with the rinky dink sideways and back passes. Very low risk, very low reward.

He is not an offensive threat at all. So then is he is truly a DM, then we can judge his contributions defensively. We again are one of the worst goals aginst sides in all of mls. Not all Mike's fault, but he plays 90 minutes and his role as a DM is to solidify the D..... And as Section 223 pointed out, this year alone Mike has been directly responsible for 7 goals against due to his mistakes. And how many more indirectly? I.e second goal the other night getting beat on the header by Romney or first goal, not breaking up the play.

Anyways, its a mute point, Mike is signed to end of next year and we don't have and won't bring in his replacement.

Hala Hrvatska
08-13-2022, 07:41 AM

Agreed.

For me the best example of a "perfect" DM is Casemiro. He breaks up play, lets Real's stars do their thing and provides cover, pockets whomever he marks (like 8 games in a row has held Messi goaless as an example), chips in occasionally offensively also scoring the CL winner in 2017, or assists like the other night's Super Cup win. Best DM in the world.

Hala Hrvatska
08-13-2022, 07:42 AM
Is Kaye playing tonight? Can't wait for this one. Only issue is my son works until 5 so I might miss the 5:18 train west and have to catch the next one leaving me less pre game time.

Here's to 3 big points...if we can get them, the playoffs become a real possibility. Vamos!

benito
08-13-2022, 07:44 AM
Will the game be streamed somewheres? My satellite receiver quit on me today, and I won't get a new one in for 2-3 business days!

Usually one or two stream pop-up here closer to kickoff. The game is also on tsn go and if you subscribe to the tsn via a tv provider, you should have access.

nick.mastro
08-13-2022, 07:53 AM

5 goals, 6 assists

Wow. How beautiful does that north end look compared to what we have now

stevep
08-13-2022, 01:38 PM
Our win probability has decreased by 5% in the last hour
okay whos not playing? Insigne??

Redpunkfiddle
08-13-2022, 02:25 PM
Fully agreed. And his stats are very inflated with the rinky dink sideways and back passes. Very low risk, very low reward.

He is not an offensive threat at all. So then is he is truly a DM, then we can judge his contributions defensively. We again are one of the worst goals aginst sides in all of mls. Not all Mike's fault, but he plays 90 minutes and his role as a DM is to solidify the D..... And as Section 223 pointed out, this year alone Mike has been directly responsible for 7 goals against due to his mistakes. And how many more indirectly? I.e second goal the other night getting beat on the header by Romney or first goal, not breaking up the play.

Anyways, its a mute point, Mike is signed to end of next year and we don't have and won't bring in his replacement.

Nobody calls him Mike.

jloome
08-13-2022, 02:59 PM
Nobody calls him Mike.

Exactly.

And he’s not a defensive midfielder. He hasn’t played as primarily a DM since about 2017. We’ve played with two-way number eights pretty much ever since then. Right now, they trade either one back, two forward or vice-versa throughout the game, and rotate as a triangle when one of them is caught out of position.

He’s not a DM, so claiming he’s not anchoring the back line is a false equivalency.

It’s a bit of a moot point, that’s true. It is not, judging by how some people won’t shut the fuck up about it, a mute point.

jloome
08-13-2022, 03:02 PM
Our win probability has decreased by 5% in the last hour
okay whos not playing? Insigne??

Suspect it’s that Eryk Williamson is cleared to play for Portland. He was questionable after a hammy earlier in the week. They’re about two-thirds more likely to win when he’s in the lineup.

Just guessing though.

los sonadores
08-13-2022, 04:07 PM
Suspect it’s that Eryk Williamson is cleared to play for Portland. He was questionable after a hammy earlier in the week. They’re about two-thirds more likely to win when he’s in the lineup.

Just guessing though.

A good guess. They’ve been markedly better when he and Blanco play together. Should be a very tough match all around.

MikeForbes
08-13-2022, 06:06 PM
Same lineup. Still no MAK.

https://twitter.com/TorontoFC/status/1558584764239601665?s=20&t=Y-dlIV1CRF2Hqjpn5kn8Ug

los sonadores
08-13-2022, 06:33 PM
Williamson on the bench.

OgtheDim
08-13-2022, 06:42 PM
Big happy crowd. The difference between the people going to Pitbull at the amphitheatre & TFC is only really the lack of red going on to Molson.

TFC is back baby.

Of course might lose tonight but it is so good to be among people having fun again.

MikeForbes
08-13-2022, 06:52 PM
Had a few drinks in me now and firmly believe TFC wins by 6 goals.

RedsYNWA
08-13-2022, 07:03 PM
Had a few drinks in me now and firmly believe TFC wins by 6 goals.

:scarf::drinking: Lets go !!!!

Inklink
08-13-2022, 07:06 PM
Must be someone new in the truck, the camera shot selection is terrible.

OgtheDim
08-13-2022, 07:11 PM
Big happy crowd. The difference between the people going to Pitbull at the amphitheatre & TFC is only really the lack of red going on to Molson.

TFC is back baby.

Of course might lose tonight but it is so good to be among people having fun again.

OgtheDim
08-13-2022, 07:12 PM
Damn this is fun to watch live

Inklink
08-13-2022, 07:17 PM
Criscito has been great

OgtheDim
08-13-2022, 07:17 PM
Surely persistent infringement has to get a yellow soon

Inklink
08-13-2022, 07:19 PM
They're trying to curl in every shot like me in FIFA

OgtheDim
08-13-2022, 07:26 PM
I know we haven't scored yet but watching this offence is mind blowing.

Inklink
08-13-2022, 07:29 PM
TFC getting mauled on the right side.

Inklink
08-13-2022, 07:33 PM
lmao Lorenzo

JoesphNdo
08-13-2022, 07:34 PM
I know we haven't scored yet but watching this offence is mind blowing.

Yeah this attack is ridiculous, we'll slice through any team in this league at will. The team still isn't complete but this attack is farcically good by league standards, nobody is going to want to play us even with some gaps. Give us another DP and a few nice pick ups and we're in the conversation for favourites next year

Richard
08-13-2022, 07:34 PM
What was that shot. Lol.

Inklink
08-13-2022, 07:37 PM
Jiminez is lost. not moving into good areas, just expecting it to land on his foot and in.

Richard
08-13-2022, 07:38 PM
We should be winning this comfortably already.

Inklink
08-13-2022, 07:39 PM
Osorio!
RICHIE I LOVE YOUUUU

Bobo
08-13-2022, 07:40 PM
Oh Laryea, how I had missed thee.

Inklink
08-13-2022, 07:43 PM
This ref is crooked

MikeForbes
08-13-2022, 07:43 PM
Richie is too good for MLS.

OgtheDim
08-13-2022, 07:46 PM
TFC getting mauled on the right side.

In the stadium it feels like the most controlled defensive performance since 2017. This all may change.

Bobo
08-13-2022, 07:46 PM
JJ still looks lost and Nelson is unwatchable, but overall, highly entertaining half. Mavinga turning back the clock, hopefully that doesn't mean an injury is coming.

jloome
08-13-2022, 07:47 PM
This ref is crooked

Im trying to give him the benefit but once again, we have all of the ball and yet somehow we get two yellows
and they win every split decision.

Still, not a contest right now and Mavinga is having his best game in a few years.

Richard
08-13-2022, 07:49 PM
This centre back combo is looking great, of course it helps when you have two fullbacks who know what they are doing.

Now imagine if we had a DP striker.

portu
08-13-2022, 07:49 PM
An excellent half of football. Especially defensively.

I can only really ask more of Insigne/Berna, but they will find their feet more and more.

I have a reputation for being sour here, but I’m quite happy at the moment.

wopchop
08-13-2022, 07:51 PM
Mavinga turning back the clock, hopefully that doesn't mean an injury is coming.
Watching Mavinga shut that down .. what a boss.

OgtheDim
Nobody warming up as if obviously coming in

jloome
I don't think Jiminez is lost; much more movement tonight than in Nashville. But they're still nowhere near being able to read each other.

He looks discouraged and even when he's managed to find space a couple of times,
the ball has gone wide to Fede.

He either figures out where they need him to be or he doesn't I guess. But it's definitely a new role for him, creating space to poach. His Poland highlights are pretty much all in transition, running off the back shoulder.

Inklink
08-13-2022, 07:53 PM
I don't think Jiminez is lost; much more movement tonight than in Nashville. But they're still nowhere near being able to read each other.

He looks discouraged and even when he's managed to find space a couple of times,
the ball has gone wide to Fede.

He either figures out where they need him to be or he doesn't I guess. But it's definitely a new role for him, creating space to poach. His Poland highlights are pretty much all in transition, running off the back shoulder.

There was one where Nelson got the ball and JJ made a great run but did not get the pass.

Inklink
08-13-2022, 07:53 PM
In the stadium it feels like the most controlled defensive performance since 2017. This all may change.

I meant it as a comment on the ref, there were consecutive plays where he could have called a foul.

JoesphNdo
08-13-2022, 07:55 PM
I suspect JJ may just be the right player but wrong fit. He's not a number nine, a consistent goal scorer or a point man and that's kind of what he's forced to try become with the two Italians. I think the quality is there but the position he has seemingly historically played, and the one it looks like he has the skills for, may not be one he's able to play here.

There's enough quality that he could still yet click but I worry he's a good MLS player just one who is being asked to be a different player than what he is to fit with us

OgtheDim
08-13-2022, 07:59 PM
Lol. Refs the last guys on the pitch

leafsman
08-13-2022, 08:04 PM
They murder TFC players no call and they get touched and it's a foul.

Richard
08-13-2022, 08:07 PM
Jesus what are you doing, just shoot already.

Amir.
08-13-2022, 08:07 PM
what a beautiful ball by bradley to jimenez...should be put away

OgtheDim
08-13-2022, 08:10 PM
How they haven't had a yellow yet is so much bull

Inklink
08-13-2022, 08:10 PM
That's 5? fouls for Chara and 3 in this half still not booked.

SenorDingDong
08-13-2022, 08:12 PM
Nelson my lord.

Richard
08-13-2022, 08:13 PM
Ref is fucking crooked.

MikeForbes
08-13-2022, 08:14 PM
Definitely hasn't been Bernie's best game.

OgtheDim
08-13-2022, 08:16 PM
Ref is not calling insistent infringement - that is a league wide problem.

Inklink
Ayo coming in for his evening stroll.

SenorDingDong
Definitely hasn't been Bernie's best game.

His worst so far Id argue.

JJ coming off.

MikeForbes
Jesus was slightly better tonight.

TFC1986
08-13-2022, 08:17 PM
C'mon TFC

Inklink
08-13-2022, 08:18 PM
Atrocious broadcast TSN. Some highschool co-op students running it? Replays, zoomed in shots while live action in front of the goal.

Richard
08-13-2022, 08:20 PM
Atrocious broadcast TSN. Some highschool co-op students running it? Replays, zoomed in shots while live action in front of the goal.

Yeah I was going to mention this. Watching the EPL and then the production value of this broadcast is jarring.

MikeForbes
08-13-2022, 08:23 PM

They also cut out the stadium audio over and over.

Richard
08-13-2022, 08:24 PM
Oh fuck off.

When are you going to book Chara, what is he on like 7 fouls this game?

Inklink
08-13-2022, 08:24 PM
LMAO nice touch ayo

SenorDingDong
08-13-2022, 08:26 PM
We should have scored 4-5 goals in this game.

Come on Akinola! Berna laid it on a plate.

DP Striker please for the final spot!

MikeForbes
08-13-2022, 08:27 PM
Criscito is so good. Imagine if he came to MLS instead of Russia 8 years ago.

SenorDingDong
08-13-2022, 08:27 PM
Criscito is so good. Imagine if he came to MLS instead of Russia 8 years ago.

MLS was trash 8 years ago so hard to blame him.

tfcfans
08-13-2022, 08:28 PM
Ridiculous - one chance and it’s in our net.

jloome
Ridiculous.

Inklink
Unsurprisingly

MikeForbes
I hate this game. Whatever.

OgtheDim
08-13-2022, 08:29 PM
That goal was all caused by Portland whining & the ref pulling McNaughton out of position for a talk.

This ref has been really bad tonight

Richard
08-13-2022, 08:30 PM
I blame our strikers. JJ is inconsistent and invisible if not on a streak.

Why is Ayo still unfit all the way into August.

We should have had at least 4 by now.

Inklink
08-13-2022, 08:30 PM
Zero fouls given to TFC on countless plays like that

jloome
08-13-2022, 08:31 PM
How is that not a card!?

Outrageous reffing

SenorDingDong
08-13-2022, 08:32 PM
Portland going to get their draw.

Our own fault - can't bury it tonightt.

Richard
08-13-2022, 08:33 PM
Somebody throw a bag of piss at this ref. Absolutely clueless.

Inklink
Insighneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

MikeForbes
I blame our strikers. JJ is inconsistent and invisible if not on a streak.

Why is Ayo still unfit all the way into August.

We should have had at least 4 by now.

Ayo was heavy at the start of last year too. He will need to start putting in more work in the offseason if he wants to improve and reach his potential.

Amir.
akinola doesnt score at one end and portland does it at the other
1-1 instead of 2-0

rydermike
What a ball by Bradley. What a goal by lorenzo

MikeForbes
08-13-2022, 08:34 PM
Loooooorenzo!

jloome
08-13-2022, 08:35 PM
Boss
Win despite the ref. Fuck you, PRO

SenorDingDong
08-13-2022, 08:35 PM
Bradley has been great tonight

Amir.
08-13-2022, 08:36 PM
Keep hating on bradley he keeps getting it done right in your face

Inklink
08-13-2022, 08:37 PM
Crook has been laughing it up with the Timbers all game. Hmm

jloome
08-13-2022, 08:37 PM
Did he actually non-call for us for a change?

Richard
08-13-2022, 08:39 PM
Did he actually non-call for us for a change?

Must be betting on the specific numbers of cards for TFC. Crooked officiating.

MikeForbes
Contrary to popular belief, the refs aren't against TFC. They just aren't that good.

jloome
Must be betting on the specific numbers of cards for TFC. Crooked officiating.
Lol no despite Caldwell bleating, he actually got ball first

Inklink
08-13-2022, 08:40 PM
Golazzzzooooooooooooooo

rydermike
What a save by Portland..... Then Bernie says too bad

TFC1986
TFC on fire this game

MikeForbes
Spending lots of money is good.

Inklink
08-13-2022, 08:41 PM
Lol no despite Caldwell bleating, he actually got ball first

Not only that, but Timbers player made the same challenge a half second later lol

SenorDingDong
08-13-2022, 08:41 PM
Thats why you dont take Berna off, even when hes not playing well!

Richard
08-13-2022, 08:43 PM
Contrary to popular belief, the refs aren't against TFC. They just aren't that good.

It's definitely both.

Vendetta
08-13-2022, 08:45 PM
Portland FC got Dp'ed tonight

TFC1986
08-13-2022, 08:46 PM
Let's go...playoff push

jloome
08-13-2022, 08:48 PM
When Bono only faces one shot per game, dude is unstoppable.

to be fair it was a great save

Inklink
08-13-2022, 08:48 PM
Portland not picking up a single card this match is more than just referee incompetence IMO

wopchop
08-13-2022, 08:49 PM
I feel like this ref always let's games get away from him like this.

Richard
08-13-2022, 08:50 PM
Portland not picking up a single card this match is more than just referee incompetence IMO

More than double the number of fouls as us yet no cards.

Inklink
08-13-2022, 08:50 PM
I noticed Insigne really connecting with Nelson in a mentorship way a few times today. Nelson is young, this is going to be a great learning opportunity for him.

jloome
08-13-2022, 08:51 PM
Bradley was excellent tonight. The strikers were our only weak spot really and that movement understanding will get better with time.

Inklink
08-13-2022, 08:52 PM
Bradley was excellent tonight. The strikers were our only weak spot really and that movement understanding will get better with time.

Ayo got robbed.

Richard
08-13-2022, 08:53 PM
Fantastic game. The hype is back.

Areathrasher
08-13-2022, 08:54 PM
I noticed Insigne really connecting with Nelson in a mentorship way a few times today. Nelson is young, this is going to be a great learning opportunity for him.

He seems to have a lot of genuine affection for Nelson and Rutty. Sort of the opposite of Seba and Endo lol

PawTar711
08-13-2022, 08:55 PM
this game was classical. with both the italian designated players scoring, it provided well passing from everyone and essentially the proof that if we continue to win we can quickly secure a playoff spot with a "remedy". Go TFC Go!:scarf::flare::drum::flare::flare:

James17930
08-13-2022, 08:55 PM
Ref was terrible, we were playing slower than I'd like, but then we have those couple bursts of brilliance and bury them. Awesome.

And Ayo should be starting over Jimenez. I know some of you think he's overweight, but I think he's just stocky. Dude gives us way more presence up front than Jesus, who has clearly checked out already.

JoeBackyard
08-13-2022, 08:58 PM

Maybe he can run back to defend sometime.

JoeBackyard
08-13-2022, 09:01 PM
Ref was terrible, we were playing slower than I'd like, but then we have those couple bursts of brilliance and bury them. Awesome.

And Ayo should be starting over Jimenez. I know some of you think he's overweight, but I think he's just stocky. Dude gives us way more presence up front than Jesus, who has clearly checked out already.

Didn't JJ go straight into this MLS season after completing full season in Polish League. He hasn't check out. He's burnt out. Anyways, JJ would have converted on both Akinola misses.

MikeForbes
08-13-2022, 09:01 PM
The first 3-4 months of the season absolutely sucked, but seeing Lorenzo Insigne scoring two straight game winners for Toronto FC was absolutely worth it.

Also, Lorenzo fucking Insigne is a TFC player.

OgtheDim
08-13-2022, 09:02 PM
Defence plays like that the rest of the season, we make the playoffs.

Problem is we have too many 3 game weeks - mistakes are going to happen.

But tonight.... for one night... that was fun

Areathrasher
08-13-2022, 09:03 PM
The first 3-4 months of the season absolutely sucked, but seeing Lorenzo Insigne scoring two straight game winners for Toronto FC was absolutely worth it.

Also, Lorenzo fucking Insigne is a TFC player.

And Bernie's left peg. Mamma Mia

bhandsome90
08-13-2022, 09:10 PM

Jimenez is locked in as the starter. Ayo would be different against fresh legs vs tired legs.

MikeForbes
08-13-2022, 09:11 PM
And Bernie's left peg. Mamma Mia

He wasn't good at all tonight and still scored a goal out of absolutely nothing. You get what you pay for.

OgtheDim
08-13-2022, 09:34 PM
Insigne has bought in... we are possibly seeing something really special starting here....

James17930
08-13-2022, 09:51 PM
Didn't JJ go straight into this MLS season after completing full season in Polish League. He hasn't check out. He's burnt out. Anyways, JJ would have converted on both Akinola misses.

It's possible it's tiredness, but reading his body language and hearing what he's said in interviews, and what BB has said, I don't think he's here next year.

And I don't think he automatically scores on the Ayo chances - the save off the header was fantastic.

notthesun
08-13-2022, 10:03 PM
Impressions from the 2nd tier today...

Mavinga was very good, just that one mistake on the ball conceding the free kick late, but he was huge in shutting down Portland's counters

I liked Nelson on the ball, he still struggles with making difficult passes though

Laryea and Oso are so dependable

Bernardeschi was terrible but boy can he strike the ball

Felt bad for Akinola, wanted that header to go in for him. I wonder if Bob will give him a start though.

OgtheDim
08-13-2022, 10:04 PM
I admit to being wrong about Bernadeschi.

Near the end of the game, he winked at us all in 116.

Hero

los sonadores
08-13-2022, 10:29 PM

Problem is we have too many 3 game weeks - mistakes are going to happen.

But tonight.... for one night... that was fun

As far as the central defence is concerned if Bradley is willing to rotate all 4 we should be okay.

benito
08-13-2022, 10:31 PM
Such a fun game to watch at the stadium tonight. Lots of chances, great atmosphere and a little late drama. Happy to see them capitalize on their chances towards the end of match.

los sonadores
08-13-2022, 10:33 PM
The stadium was really rocking, haven’t heard that for quite a while.

Happy that Mavinga is back, we need his quality back there.

stevep
08-13-2022, 10:49 PM
Such and exciting game
tfc is back
ref was terrible

Section 223
08-13-2022, 10:55 PM
I admit to being wrong about Bernadeschi.

Near the end of the game, he winked at us all in 116.

Hero
Where’s that guy I think he calls himself “The Lost Son” who said Berna is going to be a terrible signing because he did very little at Juventus and the Italian National team????

stevep
08-13-2022, 11:40 PM
I would argue these last two home games are more exciting than 2017
if not more exciting at least tied on the Excitement level

DavemTFC
08-13-2022, 11:46 PM
We are fun as hell now

3 wins 1 draw 0 losses since the Italians arrived

TheGoodson
08-13-2022, 11:46 PM
Where’s that guy I think he calls himself “The Lost Son” who said Berna is going to be a terrible signing because he did very little at Juventus and the Italian National team????

i was wrong. This is his level. this is where he is a star

He’s not good enough for a top club

tfcocd
08-13-2022, 11:50 PM

This was great to see, he even urged the crowd to support him on a misplaced cross field ball and to appreciate his efforts when he was subbed out which was really cool. As soon as Kerr was on you could see insigne providing direction to him as well.

If these young guys can soak in the veteran genius of insigne the future is bright!

Bushmancan
08-14-2022, 12:02 AM
2 and 0 since Richie returned.

ag futbol
08-14-2022, 12:16 AM
Had to watch this one late on replay. In my books we pretty much shelled them for 90 minutes and might have blown them out by 5 if Saghafi didn’t just call the worst game of his life. You think by foul # 40 persistent infringement would start to come into play.

boozilla
08-14-2022, 12:21 AM
Nelson. He made a couple of great turns and maintained his confident attacking play. Bob Bradley looks like he knows what he is doing.

DinamoTFC
08-14-2022, 12:31 AM
Great game and direction team is going. Love the commitment and passion by our DPs and making everyone else better.

I'm just nervous about our direct opponents still getting results we don't want. 4 points out still but getting crowded.
Of course Pozuelo has to score 2 goals tonight and collect 3 points for Miami which was looking like a loss for most of it. Really need Kaye for the next one.

Huge game Wednesday. Cannot wait. We usually do better against New England at home vs away due to grass.

Richard
08-14-2022, 02:04 AM
Final thoughts on this match.

What was up with the poor TV production? Lots of zoomed in shots players, or replays while there was action on the field, really poor tonight.

I think in general there needs to be an entirely new setup at the stadium, we need wider shots with much higher viewing angles. The TV presentation really hasn't changed a lot since 2007 if I'm honest, time to upgrade.

ensco
08-14-2022, 06:03 AM

I only saw the highlights … how did Mavinga look? Is he coming around? Getting him back on track is critical, when he is on, he takes good gambles in 1v1 situations, and wins them…

JonO
08-14-2022, 07:17 AM
I only saw the highlights … how did Mavinga look? Is he coming around? Getting him back on track is critical, when he is on, he takes good gambles in 1v1 situations, and wins them…
He looked like was on tonight to me. I was at the game so I didn’t always have the best angles but he showed great speed and timing closing players down

JonO
08-14-2022, 07:21 AM
Not sure if anyone else noticed but it looks like Laryea and Bernadeschi look to occupy the same space moving forward. It will probably take a few games before they are clicking. I did like how dangerous we look on both wings. Quite a refreshing change

Hala Hrvatska
08-14-2022, 07:31 AM
He looked like was on tonight to me. I was at the game so I didn’t always have the best angles but he showed great speed and timing closing players down

Me too, was there and he looked good. Great recovery speed. Dare I say returning to his old self?

nick.mastro
08-14-2022, 07:39 AM
Mamma Miaaaa

Hala Hrvatska
08-14-2022, 07:40 AM
Now THAT's what Hala is talking about. Great game...great atmosphere pre, during and post game as well.

Literally give the ball to the Italians and get out of the way, they put on a clinic.

Let me start to get it out of the way, Hala's negatives.....Nelson is simply not good. Loses the ball continually and breaks up attacks...when is Kaye back? And Jimenez, had a moment or two, but generally invisible....looks like he won't be able to click with Insigne and Fede unfortunately and we need a DP striker.

Now the positives...great win....the old team after portland tied it would have folded and we'd probably lose late. Insigne, Fede and Chris just ooze confidence and it rubs off on everyone else and we have the ability to turn it up a notch now. Great win.

Fede did lose the ball quite a bit but you pay the big bucks for moments like his goal...great goal.

Insigne, a gem. Super fun to watch, and what a goal and also what a feed on the Ako header.

McNaughton, the kid is growing on me...battles for every ball and even though got the early yellow, played composed and did a very nice job.

Chrisito, pure class. The spinorama laste when he left his man in the dust and had a nice shot was a beauty.

Layera is just what we needed as RB was a dead spot, now its very good. His assist was great, shades of the old Layerea taking his man on and beating them.

And yes, I'd by remiss if I didn't tip my cap to Mike Bradley. Very good game from him. Kept it simple, won tackles and his chip leading to Insigne's goal was a beauty. Well done.

Ako did have 2 great chances, no idea how the header didn't go in. But man, the kid needs to get in shape...looks massive up there especially up close where I was sitting.

All in all, great win and night at BMO. Can't wait for the next one.

Hala Hrvatska
08-14-2022, 07:42 AM
Not sure if anyone else noticed but it looks like Laryea and Bernadeschi look to occupy the same space moving forward. It will probably take a few games before they are clicking. I did like how dangerous we look on both wings. Quite a refreshing change

Yeha, at times they got in each other's way. But now yes, we have layera on the right overlapping, and Chrscito on the left. COmpare and contrast earlier when it was thompson and petrurzo, its complete night and day...

OgtheDim
08-14-2022, 09:42 AM

FWIW, Mavinga did the post game presser...not working on the team site yet.

Bradley presser started with a question about moving the ball around well "I think after 15 minutes we started to pass the ball well" - BB is saying its not there yet. Things are improving. Interesting bits about the youth, about the CB situation, about Oso.

Mentions that Frederico loves playing with Richie "gets me the ball where I need it to be".

Right at the end "Any comments on the referee tonight?" "Yeah (shakes head)..(laughs).. .no"

https://www.torontofc.ca/video/postgame-sound-bob-bradley-august-13-2022#postgame-sound-chris-mavinga-august-13-2022

OgtheDim
08-14-2022, 09:45 AM
Oh, and if you havn't seen it yet

https://twitter.com/TorontoFC/status/1558639436124094464

ensco
08-14-2022, 09:54 AM
Federico is kind of an unbelievable physical specimen of a human being…

Only other guys I can think of who are both rangy and jacked liked that, are Hitman Hearns, and Ibra. Maybe Lewandoski too.

Hala Hrvatska
08-14-2022, 10:08 AM
Federico is kind of an unbelievable physical specimen of a human being…

Only other guys I can think of who are both rangy and jacked liked that, are Hitman Hearns, and Ibra. Maybe Lewandoski too.

Fede Valverde of Real also

ag futbol
08-14-2022, 10:09 AM
Final thoughts on this match.

What was up with the poor TV production? Lots of zoomed in shots players, or replays while there was action on the field, really poor tonight.

I think in general there needs to be an entirely new setup at the stadium, we need wider shots with much higher viewing angles. The TV presentation really hasn't changed a lot since 2007 if I'm honest, time to upgrade.
Yes, the TV production was terrible. I don’t know if it was a “my first day on the job scenario” but they totally blew it.

I would be complaining if I was the club. Because that’s not going to help viewership

Loyal
08-14-2022, 10:40 AM
The announcers are terrible too!

Our play by play man drones on about scores between the two clubs ten years ago - like it has anything to do with the two teams now

If Caldwell didn't have an accent he would be selling beer behind 116 - talk about a negative personality....

jloome
08-14-2022, 11:46 AM
Great game and direction team is going. Love the commitment and passion by our DPs and making everyone else better.

I'm just nervous about our direct opponents still getting results we don't want. 4 points out still but getting crowded.
Of course Pozuelo has to score 2 goals tonight and collect 3 points for Miami which was looking like a loss for most of it. Really need Kaye for the next one.

Huge game Wednesday. Cannot wait. We usually do better against New England at home vs away due to grass.

the upside is we picked up two points gain on cinci and atlanta, so some movement.

ManUtd4ever
08-14-2022, 12:09 PM
If we can scratch and claw our way into the playoffs and stay healthy, we can do some damage.

Slick
08-14-2022, 01:06 PM
Solid 3 points. Insigne is definitely bought in. Very nice gesture from him when Nelson was subbing off, showing his leadership skills.

Is it me or did anyone else notice the poor field conditions last night?

sn0re
08-14-2022, 01:14 PM
Solid 3 points. Insigne is definitely bought in. Very nice gesture from him when Nelson was subbing off, showing his leadership skills.

Is it me or did anyone else notice the poor field conditions last night?

CFL game last Saturday is the cause of that, unfortunately.

Blindside16
08-15-2022, 02:36 AM

Mavinga looked like 2017 Mavinga for long stretches. Solid tackles, quick pace and smart on the ball

Mr. Inbetween
08-15-2022, 02:54 PM
I would really enjoy seeing another one of these posted late this Saturday evening please.

https://twitter.com/Total_TFC/status/1556156970859696128 (https://twitter.com/Total_TFC/status/1556156970859696128)

Oh, and if you havn't seen it yet

https://twitter.com/TorontoFC/status/1558639436124094464

Another wonderful evening!
Thank you OtD!
Feels fantastic to see another after match locker room team photo!
Ha! MacNaughton with the cellphone and blocking out BB as well! Time to get BB a step stool!
Though, I did not appreciate BB calling out Mavinga in the AGP.
IMHO, unnecessary, especially given his fragile state; Mavinga has played well the last couple of matches.
He does not need to frivolously shake the footballer's confidence.
Sure he got beat, but by covering on the right side for Laryea and Macnaughton! Which pulled Criscito over and caused the wide left to be open.
Also, Macnaughton played a fair portion of the match on a yellow!
Mavinga towards the end, for a bit, as well!
Given the way the match was refereed poorly; some real trust was shown by BB.

Mr. Inbetween
08-16-2022, 04:22 AM
Just to satisfy my own curiosity...
If Lolo did not score, would the chip by Michael have been called by that Ref or VAR as a hand/arm ball by the Timbers defender?
Having difficulty telling upon the reviews I've seen.
Did the chipped ball make contact with the opponents shoulder/upper arm/short sleeve area?
Or did it hit the outstretched mid to lower arm and would have been called as a hand/arm ball for a Penalty Kick?
Is there a community consensus?

Joe Kool
08-16-2022, 08:34 AM
Just to satisfy my own curiosity...
If Lolo did not score, would the chip by Michael have been called by that Ref or VAR as a hand/arm ball by the Timbers defender?
Having difficulty telling upon the reviews I've seen.
Did the chipped ball make contact with the opponents shoulder/upper arm/short sleeve area?
Or did it hit the outstretched mid to lower arm and would have been called as a hand/arm ball for a Penalty Kick?
Is there a community consensus?

Just going by memory it seemed to hit pretty flush on the back of the shoulder without much of his arm. Even if it hit the arm I don't think VAR would have given it because the player had his back to the ball and had no idea it was even going to hit him until it did. Just my two cents.

OgtheDim
08-16-2022, 10:01 AM
Caldwell was saying it would have been a pen

but then Caldwell though Mavinga's one tackle was a straight red...

jloome
08-16-2022, 10:13 AM
Caldwell was saying it would have been a pen

but then Caldwell though Mavinga's one tackle was a straight red...

Looked like upper arm to me. I think it would’ve been called. He could claim ball to arm because he’s not looking, but his arm was elevated, so it’s probably an automatic pen.

Ultra & Proud
08-16-2022, 10:52 AM
Looked like upper arm to me. I think it would’ve been called. He could claim ball to arm because he’s not looking, but his arm was elevated, so it’s probably an automatic pen.
Except since it was Saghafi, who knows.

His officiating was baffling to say it nicely.