PDA

View Full Version : MLS Match Day 11 - TFC @ Van Sun May 8 4:00pm - I Know That I'll Be...

OgtheDim
05-05-2022, 12:21 PM
Living it in Canada

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygejqgBm9l0

Have at It People

Auzzy
05-05-2022, 05:53 PM
OgtheDim, might this be a better song for this game?

Cheers!

I've No More F***s To Give (Unplugged Ukulele) - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8aulstjbV8)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8aulstjbV8

(YouTube won't let me embed that video...)

Red CB Toronto
05-05-2022, 06:12 PM
I wonder who will be back, they need at least a few back, will Salcedo be out of health and safety protocols by them?

SilverSamurai
05-06-2022, 12:02 PM
At least get a point out of this... :facepalm:

OgtheDim
05-06-2022, 06:15 PM
Interestingly, the team flew out today

https://twitter.com/SportsAviation/status/1522679899093352449

The dog has other ideas

https://twitter.com/OgtheDim/status/1441729787844710404

Red CB Toronto
05-06-2022, 09:27 PM
That is pretty normal for a west coast trip, get out there a day ahead and have a normal training session ahead of match day. Even more so with a mid week match beforehand. TFC went in and out of Cincy on game day. Wonder who has made the trip and who has not? Any short-term signings to come?

Interestingly, the team flew out today

https://twitter.com/SportsAviation/status/1522679899093352449

The dog has other ideas

https://twitter.com/OgtheDim/status/1441729787844710404

Red CB Toronto
05-06-2022, 10:48 PM
Man things are looking thin once again for Sunday with at least 7 players out of the line up due to injury and suspension for the All-Canadian clash with Vancouver.

As was the case in Toronto’s midweek loss to FC Cincinnati Salcedo and Achara (health and safety protocols) have been ruled out this weekend while Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty, Chris Mavinga, Noble Okello, and Jonathan Osorio will sit due to lower-body injuries. Jacob Shaffelburg, meanwhile, remains questionable according to the TFC injury report. Guess some more short-term signings are in the cards. Themi has already signed the max 4 you can do in a season while Kobe can sign one more. Yeates still has three to go as does Rothrocks and Pearlman. I fully expect at least Yeates and Franklin to be signed once again.

jloome
05-06-2022, 11:16 PM
Man things are looking thin once again for Sunday with at least 7 players out of the line up due to injury and suspension for the All-Canadian clash with Vancouver.

As was the case in Toronto’s midweek loss to FC Cincinnati Salcedo and Achara (health and safety protocols) have been ruled out this weekend while Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty, Chris Mavinga, Noble Okello, and Jonathan Osorio will sit due to lower-body injuries. Jacob Shaffelburg, meanwhile, remains questionable according to the TFC injury report. Guess some more short-term signings are in the cards. Themi has already signed the max 4 you can do in a season while Kobe can sign one more. Yeates still has three to go as does Rothrocks and Pearlman. I fully expect at least Yeates and Franklin to be signed once again.

Here were are, plenty of talk about the need to sign a DM, and both Cincy and Vancouver have just signed DP DMs.

Still, the Vanni bump seems to have ended during the playoffs last year. Gauld seems to be doing a bit of an Eckersley: a player used to a higher-paced, more intense league carries that over when they first get here then fades down to the level they're now at.

Plus we're going to be a little desperate to get something.

Red CB Toronto
05-06-2022, 11:27 PM
Here were are, plenty of talk about the need to sign a DM, and both Cincy and Vancouver have just signed DP DMs.

Still, the Vanni bump seems to have ended during the playoffs last year. Gauld seems to be doing a bit of an Eckersley: a player used to a higher-paced, more intense league carries that over when they first get here then fades down to the level they're now at.

Plus we're going to be a little desperate to get something.

That is the thing, if this team is down in the dumps come July does Insigne still get the Italian crowd out, selling a bunch of tickets just because they want to see the star in action? That is the question that will be on the minds of the MLSE braintrusts.

PizzaEatingYeti
05-07-2022, 03:34 AM
Never in the history of this team in a single season have seen this fuckery with so many players being signed up on short contracts for so many matches.
Never, since the team's existence!

Blame Manning for all this.

PS: If we lose again, the sky will fall?

reggie
05-07-2022, 06:21 AM
its actually embarrassing...manning called this a big club,maybe in ticket prices and food and beverage prices,but not in management,they should of kept auro and lawrence at least till july ,if didnt work out you move them or cut them ,it wouldnt cost that much,instead they are probs paying them to play other teams.

Auzzy
05-07-2022, 09:19 AM
What concerns me (long term and short term) is the number of injuries -- again this year like in previous years. But all the short-term signings this year shows that it's even worse. It's hitting the vets and the kids. I know that some are contact injuries that you can't really avoid, but we're still seeing lots of strains, cronic things and similar stuff that you should be able to minimize. And why is it hitting the young players so much? This has been going on for a couple of years actually, but the fact that our current youth movement doesn't seem to help much either is surprising. It's a topic that never really gets addressed publicly, or at most via excuses. What's up with TFC's medical staff and training regimen?

Red CB Toronto
05-07-2022, 09:27 AM
Think we will see Q in goal on Sunday , both he and Greg were seen in the photos when the Reds landed in Vancouver yesterday.

SilverSamurai
05-07-2022, 04:16 PM
What concerns me (long term and short term) is the number of injuries -- again this year like in previous years. But all the short-term signings this year shows that it's even worse. It's hitting the vets and the kids. I know that some are contact injuries that you can't really avoid, but we're still seeing lots of strains, cronic things and similar stuff that you should be able to minimize. And why is it hitting the young players so much? This has been going on for a couple of years actually, but the fact that our current youth movement doesn't seem to help much either is surprising. It's a topic that never really gets addressed publicly, or at most via excuses. What's up with TFC's medical staff and training regimen?

You make an excellent point...

gracos
05-07-2022, 07:09 PM

I totally agree if TFC has enough money to bring in Lorenzo Insigne, then why dont they have enough money and resources to prevent these injuries, it really baffles me, and the one constant is Bill Manning, not investing wisely in making sure our players are fit and avoiding unneccessary injuries

portu
05-07-2022, 07:50 PM
I totally agree if TFC has enough money to bring in Lorenzo Insigne, then why dont they have enough money and resources to prevent these injuries, it really baffles me, and the one constant is Bill Manning, not investing wisely in making sure our players are fit and avoiding unneccessary injuries

If you have enough money to sign Insigne, why don’t you have the funds to resource the FO to plan and execute player acquisitions?

gracos
05-07-2022, 08:09 PM
If you have enough money to sign Insigne, why don’t you have the funds to resource the FO to plan and execute player acquisitions?

I dont deal in hypotheticals or what-ifs, i live in reality and the reality is this is very frustrating

OgtheDim
05-07-2022, 08:11 PM
Nobody does a turn around in 1 window

noxx98
05-07-2022, 08:28 PM
It's a valid statement that if TFC dropping millions on Insigne we should be investing significant amounts in training and player health. It seems to be an area that the Leafs and Raptors have invested in, so I'd imagine TFC is as well. For whatever reason it hasn't worked.

portu
05-07-2022, 09:01 PM
Nobody does a turn around in 1 window

Literally nobody has made an argument for this

reggie
05-07-2022, 09:10 PM
the roster is what it is now,but to me the whole club has gone down the toilet.manning promises free standing stands,the pitch,over priced everything empty seats.the pr dept,and oh yes the lazy rolodex curtis hire,he should be fired jus for that

OgtheDim
05-07-2022, 09:57 PM
Literally nobody has made an argument for this

Sorry, ..yes...not in this thread.

There's a few posts like that in the roster thread. "failed experiment" etc.

portu
05-07-2022, 10:15 PM
Sorry, ..yes...not in this thread.

There's a few posts like that in the roster thread. "failed experiment" etc.
Haven’t seen something like that in there either.

OgtheDim
05-08-2022, 08:40 AM
For those with memories

https://i.imgur.com/4rxj2Og.jpg

Red CB Toronto
05-08-2022, 11:30 AM
Will Johnson, only to have Raheem Edwards in his TFC debut jump on him in the celebration. The interesting thing is Edwards was on one of these short term day day deals in this match. Believe it was the first time the club had ever used one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq-8Mfiw69o

For those with memories

https://i.imgur.com/4rxj2Og.jpg

Ultra & Proud
05-08-2022, 01:18 PM
Haven’t seen something like that in there either.

But people going on and on about no experienced FBs, no new DM, etc is pretty much implying that all the problems should have been fixed in one shortened (for Bob) winter window. Everybody who knows how anything works in football knows the summer window is when stuff gets done.

jloome
05-08-2022, 02:25 PM
But people going on and on about no experienced FBs, no new DM, etc is pretty much implying that all the problems should have been fixed in one shortened (for Bob) winter window. Everybody who knows how anything works in football knows the summer window is when stuff gets done.

I suspect BB's review of the roster in preseason, with Lawrence not reporting in time and him deciding he didn't want Auro around, changed things
too late to react.

Again, if players were so problematic that they couldn't be depended upon to show up at practises or to keep the dressing room positive, they should've been gone long ago.

The current rebuild is too early to shit in this season's circumstances. But much of this results from Mannjng
trusting the wrong guy then tuning out.

but that's a different precursor issue to the roster situation.

Red CB Toronto
05-08-2022, 02:40 PM
3 GKs and essentially 4 TFC II signings in the 18 today, that says it all.

FootBallAZ
05-08-2022, 02:48 PM
3 GKs and essentially 4 TFC II signings in the 18 today, that says it all.

Lol ugly, yet we all need to be patient as it's the first window.

An article came out why crisicito turned down TFC.

Don't matter if bob got here recently, just like it didn't matter what Perez had to deal with.

Manning has made mistakes since Seba and Jozy contracts, all ego .you could even hear it when he said 4 finals ,5 voyagers blah blah.

All the resources in the world and now you have 2 goalies on the bench, when really both should have had at least one opportunity to play.

OgtheDim
05-08-2022, 03:04 PM
Looking at that lineup, maybe the most interesting thing to watch is Kerr & Thompson in the midfield with MB.

portu
05-08-2022, 03:29 PM
Interesting to watch O’Neil and MacNaughton today. I think they’re a very strong back up CB pairing in MLS. More or less they know their limitations.

portu
05-08-2022, 03:31 PM
I think Nelson can be a strong starter in this league. Needs to keep getting reps.

portu
05-08-2022, 03:32 PM
Bradley made to look like a fool in our own 18

jloome
05-08-2022, 03:37 PM
Pretty soft yellow, even, let alone a VAR review.

Don't think that gets carded in the Prem, getting a late shin guard on a legit, on-your-feet attempt for the ball.

jloome
05-08-2022, 03:38 PM
Ah, it's a dream for Caldwell this afternoon. He gets to blow Ryan Gauld all game and remind his former club of our shortcomings.

jloome
05-08-2022, 03:41 PM
Slowing this down sort of favors us, as our transition defense is so poor. So far, so good. Just have to create something now and not get caught wide with the high wingbacks.

OgtheDim
05-08-2022, 03:43 PM
These two teams are not all that good.

Edit: Needs faster ball movement

Valdal
05-08-2022, 03:46 PM
Anyone have a proper stream?

jloome
05-08-2022, 03:46 PM
Anyone have a proper stream?
https://www.tsn.ca/live#/TSN2

ag futbol
05-08-2022, 03:48 PM
This team needs guys to crash the box. How are we ever going to get a scoring chance if nobody is in position to take advantage?

jloome
05-08-2022, 03:49 PM
Chung is a bit dire. He's been caught high twice, and that last outlet, he had the touchline empty but just automatically passed it back to McNaughton even though he didn't have space.

jloome
05-08-2022, 03:51 PM
That ball went out.

Shou'dve been a corner. Hassal carried it across.

OgtheDim
05-08-2022, 03:55 PM
Yeh, Chung to me is a long term project who should come on as a replacement when we need attacking width & the opposition is sitting back.

jloome
05-08-2022, 03:57 PM
Even with our issues in past games, we should be playing more direct and centrally than we are right now. They're not a good enough team to warrant this much care and respect. It's hard to create anything if we're so slow that they always have their entire team back.

jloome
Yeh, Chung to me is a long term project who should come on as a replacement when we need attacking width & the opposition is sitting back.

Yup.

portu
I look at Chung as filling an Ashtone Morgan role long term

MikeForbes
05-08-2022, 03:58 PM
Imagine starting Russell Teibert in midfield in 2022.

noxx98
Handball?

OgtheDim
Hmm....that's a pen

jloome
05-08-2022, 03:59 PM
I look at Chung as filling an Ashtone Morgan role long term

With less ability, so far. Chung is getting beaten back and forward defensively. Ashtone was a solid defender.

portu
05-08-2022, 03:59 PM
Dead clear penalty, arm way out there. Brilliant ball from Nelson by the way.

portu
05-08-2022, 04:00 PM
With less ability, so far. Chung is getting beaten back and forward defensively. Ashtone was a solid defender.
I think there’s a level of adjustment Chung has to do to figure out what he can and can’t do at this level.

Ashtone had a good grip on that because he came up at this level.

jloome
Boo, the rules! Dude's hand was above his head, practically.

jloome
I think there’s a level of adjustment Chung has to do to figure out what he can and can’t do at this level.

Ashtone had a good grip on that because he came up at this level.

And to be fair to Chung, the whole league was an easier proposition even five years ago.

OgtheDim
05-08-2022, 04:01 PM
That was bad

Thomas
Shit…so bad at penalties

noxx98
That was not a good PK

Thomas
Nelson has potential, but tries to do too much himself

jloome
05-08-2022, 04:02 PM
Jesus, that was an awful penalty. Hassal was already gone that way when he hit it. He was looking down instead of at his options.

Poz normally hits those down the middle. Ah hell.

MikeForbes
Pozuelo won't be taking penalties in two months time.

portu
And to be fair to Chung, the whole league was an easier proposition even five years ago.
This league post-TAM is a far higher level for sure.

OgtheDim
05-08-2022, 04:07 PM
These guys are not using their wings

MikeForbes
Two below average teams playing a below average game.

Thomas
Neither team is very good. Mostly running up and down the pitch.

jloome
These guys are not using their wings
It's like they're playing a full-field centre block.

ag futbol
05-08-2022, 04:09 PM
Random thoughts…

Kerr is out of position yes but I have to shake my head at some of his play. Takes 3-4 touches just to get comfortable each time, never looks to pass progressively, always going wide or backwards.

I like Thomson. Not perfect but he tried hard, shows glimpses, and is reasonably versatile.

Chung really should only be a depth option

Nelson might not be Mo Babouli but I increasingly think he is Mo Babouli.

I have a hard time believing Vancouver is still around in 10 years unless they get new ownership. This is a tough product to watch and I doubt it’s getting better.

tauzzo
05-08-2022, 04:09 PM
I get the dislike for Caldwell. I do. I can't count the number of times that I've watched a game and he so obviously, and inexplicably, gets his take wrong, even after a replay. I'm thinking especially of the NYCFC/Castellanos goal against TFC a couple of weeks ago that was called back for offside, and Caldwell, even after seeing the replay that clearly showed contact was made in an offside position, wasn't sure.

But I don't get the dislike for Caldwell because he's not more of a 'homer'. He's intensely and sometimes unfairly critical of TFC—but does he say anything or anything worse than what we say on this forum? We all know that Caldwell's talking points are, for the most part, spot on—the team does play too slowly; too many players don't make the right pass in the final third; too many players don't seem to put in the work ethic until the team is down later in the second half.

I guess what I'm saying, in short, is that we might like Caldwell not to be so negative on air, but he isn't always wrong.

OgtheDim
05-08-2022, 04:10 PM
It's like they're playing a full-field centre block.

It weird...guys hitting the box with an open guy on the left or right & not making that pass out to the open man.

jloome
Dammmmmmn.

Good play, has to get over that ball, hit it low.

portu
C’mon Nelson hit the target

tauzzo
05-08-2022, 04:11 PM
Spot on, AG.

I think that comparison between Nelson and Babouli is apt. Remember when Seba said, on more than one occasion, I think, that Babouli was the best player on the pitch? Sometimes Nelson looks that way, too, and then other times he looks like he's never played with other midfielders and forwards before.

Agree, too, about Vancouver. They occasionally get it right with transfers—like Gauld—but what a pitifully run team.

MikeForbes
05-08-2022, 04:14 PM
This has draw written all over it.

ag futbol
05-08-2022, 04:17 PM
It’s a game so dire, everyone is a loser, even those watching

tauzzo
05-08-2022, 04:18 PM

Agree. Unless a sloppy and wholly undeserved goal breaks the deadlock.

OgtheDim
05-08-2022, 04:20 PM
The sort of game where 1 decent play gets to JJ & we get a goal.....and then 1 silly defensive play makes it into a draw.

OgtheDim
05-08-2022, 04:22 PM
It’s a game so dire, everyone is a loser, even those watching

Could be worse...you could be forced to listen to Wheeler after the game talk about it.

jazzy
05-08-2022, 04:24 PM
At game , all I see is a dysfunctional team . Pass back eventually gets to Bono who proceeds to give up possession . Never heard a defender scream frustration at a keeper like O’Neill did to Bono . Nice insult to Jimenez by not giving striker the penalty try . He is our only bright spot . Best line Van fan says if Bono keeps it up Vancouver will sign him ,he’s that frustrating

MightyDM
05-08-2022, 04:25 PM
Not just in the penalty, but Poz looks like he is operating at half speed. He has also season. Mentally and physically. He’s too young to have lost a step so I expect he will get better, but he needs to, and for the clubs sake, soon.

ag futbol
05-08-2022, 04:26 PM
At game , all I see is a dysfunctional team . Pass back eventually gets to Bono who proceeds to give up possession . Never heard a defender scream frustration at a keeper like O’Neill did to Bono . Nice insult to Jimenez by not giving striker the penalty try . He is our only bright spot . Best line Van fan says if Bono keeps it up Vancouver will sign him ,he’s that frustrating
The issue with the backline is you have O’Neill who is great without the ball but with it he’s got one foot, below average passing ability, and he’s on the wrong side. Plus everyone is incentivized to push us back to Bono because his passes are worse than a 50/50

MightyDM
05-08-2022, 04:29 PM
Also, Kerr was in college las t year. He needs some time to bed in. Not really fair to judge him too harshly, yet.

bradley good today.

portu
05-08-2022, 04:29 PM
I like Perruzza but what compels Bobby to play him instead of Akinola

noxx98
05-08-2022, 04:30 PM
Summer of Perruzza, let’s go

MikeForbes
Bob Bradley clearly not a fan of Chung today.

portu
Also, Kerr was in college las t year. He needs some time to bed in. Not really fair to judge him too harshly, yet.

bradley good today.
Kerr doesn’t cut it. I’m quite firm on this. All the other kids I rate to some degree.

tauzzo
Not just in the penalty, but Poz looks like he is operating at half speed. He has also season. Mentally and physically. He’s too young to have lost a step so I expect he will get better, but he needs to, and for the clubs sake, soon.

He's looked to be at half speed for the better part of two seasons now.

What I can't, for the life of me, understand is why he gets so few touches each game? He's unquestionably our most creative player, yet he's rarely given the opportunity to unlock space. Nelson, Bradley, Thompson, all touch the ball more than him. I've seen Salcedo drive forward in possession more frequently.

portu
05-08-2022, 04:32 PM
Bob Bradley clearly not a fan of Chung today.
Indictment of your own recruitment when you take off your only fullback.

Respect the willingness to acknowledge though.

MikeForbes
05-08-2022, 04:34 PM
Nelson needs to pick up his goddamn head at some point.

ag futbol
05-08-2022, 04:35 PM
Why not play Perruzza centrally? Jimenez just drifts back to pickup the ball anyway.

tauzzo
05-08-2022, 04:36 PM

Absolutely. That's what I meant earlier when I said that it sometimes seems like he's never played with teammates before. He's the kid on the playground who doesn't pass.

MikeForbes
05-08-2022, 04:41 PM
Surely Ayo can play 30 or 40 minutes by now.

jloome
05-08-2022, 04:43 PM
Surely Ayo can play 30 or 40 minutes by now.

I suspect BB is a bit old school in that they get rewarded for how well they train in the prior weeks.

Ultra & Proud
05-08-2022, 04:43 PM
Last time he tried that against Cinci @ BMO he tripped over the ball.

Thomas
05-08-2022, 04:44 PM
I hope Jayden Babouli improves his game pronto. If the Caps were a half decent team, they would be up 3-0 at this point.

ag futbol
05-08-2022, 04:46 PM
I know we have a bunch of green 12 year olds on the bench and this is a tie game with the possibility of points but I would absolutely yank of few of these guys to let them know playing time is not a guarantee and if you don’t make the most of it, the guy behind you will.

jloome
05-08-2022, 04:47 PM
We're starting to ease off defensively again. Trouble time unless we get some new legs on, I think.

jloome
05-08-2022, 04:51 PM
If this doesn't count it's a fucking travesty. A fucking travesty.

noxx98
That’s gotta be a goal

benito
That’s ridiculous if it’s not a goal.

MikeForbes
Always go with the opposite of what Caldwell thinks.

portu
That’s a fucking goal. Give me a break.

MightyDM
05-08-2022, 04:52 PM
Every time we get all over someone on these boards they do something great. Hahaha. Well done Nelson. Clear goal. Doesn’t mean it will be given, but.

portu
05-08-2022, 04:53 PM
Turning this off now. I can’t stand this league.

jloome
Oh my god. That is the worst decision I've ever seen.

Fucking robbery.

benito
That’s bullshit. The ball is not in his hand.

Thomas
05-08-2022, 04:54 PM
What a joke. The keeper did not have any control on the ball.

jloome
Pro's going to apologize for that one in two days, just watch.

MightyDM
Absolutely ridiculous decision. I hate VAR, but if you are going to have VAR, that’s a goal.

benito
05-08-2022, 04:55 PM
Pro's going to apologize for that one in two days, just watch.

that sounds about right.

ag futbol
WTF is that. It’s a clear goal!

MikeForbes
Lol at Cavallini being trash.

PizzaEatingYeti
05-08-2022, 04:56 PM
This is a f_ing joke!

barticusz
How is there no VAR. This league is an absolute joke.

tauzzo
Is this league ever hard to watch sometimes. The standard of officiating is comically poor, and the officials make such bad decisions with such confidence.

You could see the official, Rivas, saying to Nelson, 'He puts his hand on the ball, and then you kick it.' Not a chance.

MikeForbes
05-08-2022, 04:57 PM
Cropper is the best goalie on the field.

jloome
05-08-2022, 05:03 PM
Anyone else just lose their TSN feed?

ag futbol
05-08-2022, 05:04 PM
earth to Nelson, if your team loses possession in the defensive third and you’re short men back, you fucking run back and help and not jog in circles

Thomas
05-08-2022, 05:06 PM
The match is on CTV too

OgtheDim
05-08-2022, 05:10 PM
I think its as likely for there to be a goal as it is for Cavallini to get a second yellow...

jloome
05-08-2022, 05:11 PM
Gahd, that bad call stings.

That was such a shit call. So bad.

MikeForbes
05-08-2022, 05:12 PM
Will Alex Bono do the impossible?

portu
05-08-2022, 05:14 PM
Vintage TFC

Ultra & Proud
05-08-2022, 05:15 PM

Nope, he did the typical Bono

MikeForbes
05-08-2022, 05:15 PM
Offside?

MikeForbes
05-08-2022, 05:16 PM

You are such an idiot.

noxx98
05-08-2022, 05:17 PM
Looks offside. VAR is a joke

jloome
Criminal. If we don't get a point here, it's criminal.

Fucking MLS officiating.

Ricketts looks off there.

OgtheDim
Somebody has told the young guys NOT to charge to the endline - seen at least 4 times this game with space there to charge towards it & they pass the ball back

Oldtimer
05-08-2022, 05:18 PM

I did.

jloome
05-08-2022, 05:18 PM
Oh fuck off.

We're robbed today, boys. That's a theft game. Fucking MLS.

jloome
05-08-2022, 05:20 PM
I did.

There's an illegal on Youtube if you search Toronto Vancouver MLS

jloome
05-08-2022, 05:23 PM
Fucking travesty.

That's just a fucking travesty.

Still, maybe it'll gel the team a bit to have some righteous anger about it.

ag futbol
05-08-2022, 05:25 PM
Pro should have people fined and suspended for shit like this. You can’t get the call right with the benefit of a video reply? What hope is there?

Tough to take this league seriously at times

benito
05-08-2022, 05:27 PM
They were robbed on the Nelson goal. Clearly not in the goalie’s hand.

I think the Rickets goal was the correct call. I paused the game feed and it appeared he was behind the ball but ahead of petrasso when the pass was made.

notthesun
05-08-2022, 05:27 PM
Really don't care about any analysis from this one. We got completely screwed by the refs and VAR and it's the only reason we did not win.

This was a 1-0 TFC win with competent officiating, simple as.

OgtheDim
05-08-2022, 05:28 PM
Yes blown call on the loose ball goal - should have been sent to the ref at least

Yes, probably offside but not clear & obvious.

AND

Never put yourself in a position where a blown call gives you a loss.

The offence isn't good enough at creating chances & the defence, better today against a pretty poor offence, will usually break at least once a game.

gracos
05-08-2022, 05:29 PM
what was the final score, if we had any great effort we would of punished Vancouver, but from the previous posts of being robbed, it sounds like another loss, a great team doesnt need to worry about the referees

Bushmancan
05-08-2022, 05:32 PM
What I would love to see and would respect Bradley 100%... would be to accept the fine and rail on the reffing and VAR. Would support him if he did that!!!

OgtheDim
05-08-2022, 05:36 PM
Going to just whisper this

The game would have been very different if Poz had just taken a decent penalty

Bushmancan
05-08-2022, 05:40 PM

That's fair but Poz also made a beautiful pass, an absolute sitter to Nelson.... and furthermore Nelson's was a goal 100%. Lets see Bradley shake it up.... eat the fine, baby!!

MightyDM
05-08-2022, 05:40 PM

On my computer but not on my phone. weird. tried to rejoin it several times - around 85th minute.

phone froze when a friend called. 0-0. unfroze at 1-0 already. i blame him

MightyDM
05-08-2022, 05:42 PM

Totally

MightyDM
05-08-2022, 05:43 PM
That's fair but Poz also made a beautiful pass, an absolute sitter to Nelson.... and furthermore Nelson's was a goal 100%. Lets see Bradley shake it up.... eat the fine, baby!!

True too...

MightyDM
05-08-2022, 05:44 PM
The youth movement continues, and its good. Love seeing them get minutes - for example, I forgot that Peruzza is only 21 - fantastic header by him. Need to start picking up points though.

Bushmancan
05-08-2022, 05:45 PM
The real scary thing is that we just watched 9 achievable points blow up in smoke. We could be out of the playoffs by July. Even scarier, Montreal is starting to gel.... CCL is worrisome now. This team needs an attitude adjustment, why I want to see Bradley lose his shit and let them know this is not good enough.

Richard
05-08-2022, 05:58 PM

If MLS officials did their job correctly it would have been a different game too.

MLS has a major problem that they are not addressing and until they do so I'm basically completely tuned out of this league. I just can't be asked to watch my team get robbed every weak by the officials.

CorrwgBach
05-08-2022, 06:20 PM
First game I did not watch. And I cannot see how that is not a goal all involved must surely be hanging their heads in shame. And furthermore if we still can get obvious clear decisions made even with VAR then let’s scrap it until we can get enough qualified people to referee and review. That decision is embarrassing for the league.

reggie
05-08-2022, 06:34 PM
brutal calls for sure...letting guys behind you in the 90th min is even more brutal..take the ffing point,and plz do not resign poz

MightyDM
05-08-2022, 07:02 PM
Vancouver is really terrible. Not sure they will win another game. We gave this one to them, w/ help from the Referee

Smokecell
05-08-2022, 07:13 PM
The youth movement continues, and its good. Love seeing them get minutes - for example, I forgot that Peruzza is only 21 - fantastic header by him. Need to start picking up points though.

21 or 31 he’s been awful. Absolutely awful.

Section 223
05-08-2022, 08:20 PM
brutal calls for sure...letting guys behind you in the 90th min is even more brutal..take the ffing point,and plz do not resign poz
I believe Poz left this team about a year and a half ago

ag futbol
05-08-2022, 08:31 PM
So supposedly Hasal broke a finger or two and the refs were putting that up as an excuse. That’s a joke if I ever heard one.

The force of the ball alone can easy break or dislocate a finger. Especially if it’s held out in a compromising position.

And I say this as someone who pinched a game in net and broke his finger in a remarkably similar scenario. So I’m going to brand myself the subject matter expert here.

stevep
05-08-2022, 08:41 PM
I believe Poz left this team about a year and a half ago

yes. He plays for LA Galaxy now
how did you know this?

DavemTFC
05-08-2022, 08:51 PM
Genuinely wondering if the ref crew lost contact with the VAR room or something because I have no idea how it's even possible to miss that after seeing replays. Either way, it's staggering, inexcusable incompetence from the officials.

Looking forward to the tepid PRO apology and Paul Stalteri coaching us next weekend

OgtheDim
05-08-2022, 09:15 PM
BB talks after the game

https://www.torontofc.ca/video/postgame-sound-bob-bradley-may-8-2022#postgame-sound-bob-bradley-may-8-2022

On the goal not called

"Its a mistake"

He won't get fined for this.

Agree with BB on Kerr - he was better today - not great but making progress towards to being an MLS player

&

Listening to this, the next window is when a lot of changes are going to occur & the youth are getting a shot now but its in the meantime.

OgtheDim
05-08-2022, 09:31 PM
Team flying back in tonight.

MightyDM
05-08-2022, 10:45 PM
BB was really excellent in this presser. He isn’t Rah rah, but for the right player he would be inspirational because he is so clear, on point, and has very high standards indeed

Bushmancan
05-09-2022, 06:51 AM
BB talks after the game

https://www.torontofc.ca/video/postgame-sound-bob-bradley-may-8-2022#postgame-sound-bob-bradley-may-8-2022

On the goal not called

"Its a mistake"

He won't get fined for this.

Agree with BB on Kerr - he was better today - not great but making progress towards to being an MLS player

&

Listening to this, the next window is when a lot of changes are going to occur & the youth are getting a shot now but its in the meantime.

Appreciate the link, he is class. And to be clear that was him railing he started with “It’s a mistake” but ended with “Its a clear mistake”…LOL. And you are correct, no fine. Actually, I think he pointed it out well that whoever was the VAR person, they didn’t do their job and he cant wait to hear from pro.

He has a plan, and he isn’t wavering and we will win or lose with this plan. I thought the O’Neill comment about having solid people in the room was a good one.

Section 223
05-09-2022, 07:44 AM
Appreciate the link, he is class. And to be clear that was him railing he started with “It’s a mistake” but ended with “Its a clear mistake”…LOL. And you are correct, no fine. Actually, I think he pointed it out well that whoever was the VAR person, they didn’t do their job and he cant wait to hear from pro.

He has a plan, and he isn’t wavering and we will win or lose with this plan. I thought the O’Neill comment about having solid people in the room was a good one.
What the plan? This team will never win anything with the current players, they will spend money in July window and things will be fine. no one on this site truly believes we can do anything with what we have now do they?

Kamp Berg
05-09-2022, 08:38 AM
I missed the first half yesterday, but judging from the second half, they deserved to lose. Letting a team as weak as Vancouver waltz through your midfield like no one’s there is about as low as a team can go. If Vancouver wasn’t such a bottom feeder it would have been a total blowout. To make it even more frustrating, the officiating was atrocious! The PRO needs to get a handle on VAR or drop it. I didn’t think MLS officiating could get any worse, but it’s killing games now.

Bushmancan
05-09-2022, 09:05 AM
Fair point and I actually agree because I don't believe that was what he was saying. I think he is saying this is going to take time but he did it articulately. First and foremost, he cleaned house. Only wants players here that want to be here and set good work ethic examples (O'Neill). Yes, he may have gone too far in removing anyone who wasn't wanted or did not want to be there isn't bad.

Unfortunately, there may have been some i.e. Marky, who may be gone for other reasons. But injuries still plague us and some of the younger ones won't get to put on their best game. I personally was hoping that the CCL bracket was so light that we could try to cruise through even with what we have, but Montreal now worries me. I think we have to get over that he is blinded by MB and know that this is what it is for this year.

Kamp Berg
05-09-2022, 09:43 AM
Oh, and it was so apropos that Ricketts was the one to score. Kind of poetic justice, because we really haven’t improved since Ricketts was let go.

Canary10
05-09-2022, 10:07 AM
What the plan? This team will never win anything with the current players, they will spend money in July window and things will be fine. no one on this site truly believes we can do anything with what we have now do they?

I am fine with the approach we've taken this year, and happy to see them try to give the young academy grads a chance. But I have to agree with you. I don't think any are really part of the rebuild and I'd be surprised if they're with TFC a few years down the line. Just not enough quality there. Even compared to what Jonathan Osorio looked like in his first few games. He was calm on the ball, could evade the first tackle and crisply lay-off to the right person. I'm not seeing enough technique or football IQ.

Regarding the game. Wow that was terrible reffing. Funny how VAR was somewhat decently implemented in the first year or two in MLS compared to EPL. Now even though I don't like the EPL approach to measuring offside by millimeters with cameras, it at least has made the call somewhat objective. That Vancouver goal was screaming for the line to be draw across the pitch! It's a total shitshow in MLS now.

MightyDM
05-09-2022, 10:35 AM
given the lineup we had, we played pretty well and controlled most of the game. terrible goal to concede at the end and I wonder who got caught up field attacking to leave the backdoor wide open like that. (Vancouver were better with Cavallini and Ricketts on in my view).

MB has become our favourite whipping boy but he was very good against Vancouver, as he was wednesday against Cincy. He might not be the guy for a championship team but perfectly serviceable for this team, and his reported incredible work rate in training very important for setting standards with the young guys coming up. I know it isn't going to persuade anyone who sees his errors, but if you watch just him all game and see everything else he does, you will see why he is playing.

MightyDM
05-09-2022, 10:47 AM
I am fine with the approach we've taken this year, and happy to see them try to give the young academy grads a chance. But I have to agree with you. I don't think any are really part of the rebuild and I'd be surprised if they're with TFC a few years down the line. Just not enough quality there. Even compared to what Jonathan Osorio looked like in his first few games. He was calm on the ball, could evade the first tackle and crisply lay-off to the right person. I'm not seeing enough technique or football IQ.

Regarding the game. Wow that was terrible reffing. Funny how VAR was somewhat decently implemented in the first year or two in MLS compared to EPL. Now even though I don't like the EPL approach to measuring offside by millimeters with cameras, it at least has made the call somewhat objective. That Vancouver goal was screaming for the line to be draw across the pitch! It's a total shitshow in MLS now.

The problem with the EPL approach is that it tries to be too objective and draws fairly arbitrary lines ie with the arm pit that arent really justified by the technology and tend to eliminate the "doubt goes to the attacker" that we all grew up with, and which is philosophically correct. It takes a lot of excitement out of the game and risks injury by the ridiculous delayed offside flag that purely exists to accommodate VAR - Id rather just use the A/R's eyes.

As for VAR itself, they still need to figure out how to do it instantly, restrict it to really egregious calls, and get it right. Unless it is perfect, there is no point because its downsides (delay, destroying excitement etc) are only justified if it is perfect. Which it should be given the technology, but we have had examples recently (ie Nelson) where the discipline committee said it was a clear and obvious error even though VAR reviewed. No certainty at all, and pretty much stating VAR officials dont know what they are doing in this league.

OgtheDim
05-09-2022, 10:51 AM
VAR is only noticeable when its wrong

Problem is, its wrong way too much

Good thing is PRO is at least talking about its mistakes & not acting like they always are correct - they get rather public about mistakes.

http://proreferees.com/category/education/the-definitive-angle/

Every VAR review discussed

Canary10
05-09-2022, 10:55 AM
The problem with the EPL approach is that it tries to be too objective and draws fairly arbitrary lines ie with the arm pit that arent really justified by the technology and tend to eliminate the "doubt goes to the attacker" that we all grew up with, and which is philosophically correct. It takes a lot of excitement out of the game and risks injury by the ridiculous delayed offside flag that purely exists to accommodate VAR - Id rather just use the A/R's eyes.
As for VAR itself, they still need to figure out how to do it instantly, restrict it to really egregious calls, and get it right. Unless it is perfect, there is no point because its downsides (delay, destroying excitement etc) are only justified if it is perfect. Which it should be given the technology, but we have had examples recently (ie Nelson) where the discipline committee said it was a clear and obvious error even though VAR reviewed. No certainty at all, and pretty much stating VAR officials dont know what they are doing in this league.

I agree with most of this, but I would rather have the EPL approach than the crock of you know what we saw yesterday. Maybe I'm just frustrated with the all sorts of wrong that happened in that game.

OgtheDim
05-09-2022, 10:59 AM
In other news - Rothrock looked speedy & willing to go to the line to cross it in - might be useful.

Ultra & Proud
05-09-2022, 12:02 PM
In other news - Rothrock looked speedy & willing to go to the line to cross it in - might be useful.
I'd like to see a larger sample size but he did look to offer something we lost since Schaff switched to FB. Might as well give him a start and see what's up. Couldn't hurt.

MightyDM
05-09-2022, 02:29 PM
VAR is only noticeable when its wrong

Problem is, its wrong way too much

Good thing is PRO is at least talking about its mistakes & not acting like they always are correct - they get rather public about mistakes.

http://proreferees.com/category/education/the-definitive-angle/

Every VAR review discussed

given how disruptive it is, unlike goal line technology, it shouldn’t be used unless it’s perfect or damn close.

Derko
05-10-2022, 10:45 AM
TFC lost this game the moment Poz missed the penalty, he may as well have missed the entire goal. Poz just doesn't seem the player he was on many an occasion.

Kamp Berg
05-10-2022, 02:02 PM
TFC lost this game the moment Poz missed the penalty, he may as well have missed the entire goal. Poz just doesn't seem the player he was on many an occasion.

It’s hard to tell what’s going on with Poz, but he kind of seems like he’s just not driven anymore, like he’s given up. Bradley too sometimes. Correct me if I’m wrong, but in the last two years it seems like Poz constantly gives up the ball when moving forward. There are still glimpses, but he often appears not very engaged. Maybe the constant losing is getting to his mindset. It certainly seems that way with a lot of the veterans.

JoesphNdo
05-10-2022, 02:13 PM
Poz is being played quite out of position and still putting up good numbers despite it - he's statically our best attacker by quite a bit. But agree he's far off what he could be and wonder if Bob Bradley is not a fan, between putting him a bit out of position and publicly blaming him on his sons mistake for a goal there's a couple of small signs he isn't in love with him

jazzy
05-10-2022, 03:55 PM
It’s hard to tell what’s going on with Poz, but he kind of seems like he’s just not driven anymore, like he’s given up. Bradley too sometimes. Correct me if I’m wrong, but in the last two years it seems like Poz constantly gives up the ball when moving forward. There are still glimpses, but he often appears not very engaged. Maybe the constant losing is getting to his mindset. It certainly seems that way with a lot of the veterans.

Love Poz was working but VERY frustrated at everyone it seemed ( sadly Jimenez as well ) he shrugged after many passes . IF O’Neill is BB ‘s kind of guy then why is Boni starting every game ? O’Neill reamed him in the open when Bono looked lost waiting to kick away ( as usual) the ball . It was heard throughout the stadium . With Bono in net , we simply can’t pass back . Back it’s continuous . Boring boring game . They didn’t deserve to win .

Webdogg
05-10-2022, 08:52 PM

Well look on the bright side, Poz is going to be option 3 as the PK taker come July.

gracos
05-10-2022, 10:26 PM
https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/power-rankings-fc-cincinnati-atlanta-united-take-giant-step-after-week-10

Last place in power rankings

portu
05-11-2022, 08:01 AM
I'd prefer us not waste more time and roster spots on 20+ year old college guys with low ceilings (i.e. Endoh, Achara).

jloome
05-11-2022, 01:35 PM
I'd prefer us not waste more time and roster spots on 20+ year old college guys with low ceilings (i.e. Endoh, Achara).

He’s better than both of them already. He’s got an engine and he can hit the net. He reminds me a lot of Erik Hurtado except with finishing skill.

He’s definitely got prospects as a depth player who contributes. Might even get good enough for the first team eventually. His age is hurting him because he stood out on TFC II last year and probably should’ve been brought to MLS level earlier.

He seems to me a more sensible prospect than a washed up older player. He still has upsides and wouldn’t look out of place on the first team most o the time, certainly not when compared with Kerr, Chung, Achara, none of whom look likely to start on a good team any time soon.

Teams have to have some depth, although I do agree with the notion of real competition for first-team places. At worst, we could get a few good games out of him and deal him to Houston, where Pat Onstad seems to love TFC reclamation projects.

ag futbol
05-11-2022, 02:24 PM
Agreed, I thought Rothrock looked interesting.

Now that said, we seriously have to trim the hedges here and figure out which prospects we are going to stick with. There’s simply not enough room for everyone.

OgtheDim
05-11-2022, 02:44 PM
I just like the fact that somebody other then Shaff is trying to go at the byline & use width.

Everybody else (maybe Petrasso as an exception) has what I call Auro disease - goes wide, stops.....pulls back & passes it to a mid or CB behind them.

Think Richie Laryea - want more of that.

Ultra & Proud
05-11-2022, 02:46 PM
deal him to Houston, where Pat Onstad seems to love TFC reclamation projects.

This makes me think of Bono (I wish).

Ultra & Proud
05-11-2022, 02:52 PM
I just like the fact that somebody other then Shaff is trying to go at the byline & use width.

Everybody else (maybe Petrasso as an exception) has what I call Auro disease - goes wide, stops.....pulls back & passes it to a mid or CB behind them.

Think Richie Laryea - want more of that.

In our matches against FCC he was even worse than Auro with that. He passed up so much free real estate to work the ball back to Osorio almost every time. I guess it's being a young guy and not wanted to get chewed out by Poz for making 'selfish' runs if things go awry but that's the kind of thing that made Schaff good. If more guys just did that part of the game then we'd at least create some chances and make defenses work for it. Right now we're playing like we did in the lazy days of 2018; holding possession by passing it around 35-40 yards out, with nobody really moving until a pass goes astray and the opposition gets a counter opportunity.

Red CB Toronto
05-11-2022, 03:12 PM

I look a signings like that as something short term and if you get anything more its a bonus. To TFC at this moment has two paths and pre and post July.

portu
05-11-2022, 03:23 PM
Rothrock isn’t a prospect he’s 23.

ag futbol
05-11-2022, 03:38 PM
In our matches against FCC he was even worse than Auro with that. He passed up so much free real estate to work the ball back to Osorio almost every time. I guess it's being a young guy and not wanted to get chewed out by Poz for making 'selfish' runs if things go awry but that's the kind of thing that made Schaff good. If more guys just did that part of the game then we'd at least create some chances and make defenses work for it. Right now we're playing like we did in the lazy days of 2018; holding possession by passing it around 35-40 yards out, with nobody really moving until a pass goes astray and the opposition gets a counter opportunity.
To me, and this is my hot take… Petrasso > Shaf at fullback as the former can actually make a progressive pass out of the back. Shaffleburg gets skidish in that spot when he gets pressed and often gives up possession. He’s entirely dependent on free real estate out wide to be effective and is really a wide forward or a winger when playing 5 across midfield. Defending not great from Shaff either albeit Petrasso isn’t much better.

Now maybe LA playing inverted solves that problem (re: having space on the wing). But to me, just as important factor here is having your fullback able to pass out of the defensive third to LA directly ahead of him to start the counter attack.

ag futbol
05-11-2022, 03:40 PM
Rothrock isn’t a prospect he’s 23.
Things that were said about MAK? Not that I necessarily think Rothrock is a diamond in the rough but NA is different and guys can still catch on later.

Heck, I feel like the Italians are still developing all the way up until they retire, hahaha

MightyDM
05-12-2022, 11:36 PM
There is no record anywhere of PRO analyzing Nelson’s goal, let alone apologizing. Where did manning get this from?

OgtheDim
05-13-2022, 08:49 AM
https://twitter.com/NeilMDavidson/status/1524902593323061259

MightyDM
05-13-2022, 02:21 PM
https://twitter.com/NeilMDavidson/status/1524902593323061259

Thanks.