PDA

View Full Version : MLS Match Day 10 - TFC @ Cinci Wed May 4 7:38pm But these stories don't mean anything

OgtheDim
05-01-2022, 09:26 AM
When you've got no one to tell them to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi_XPQ4tq40

Have at It People

Webdogg
05-01-2022, 04:59 PM
I’ll be at the game. Should be fun but hopefully not a repeat of Saturday

OgtheDim
05-01-2022, 05:40 PM

Vaguely wondering what the atmosphere will be like a year on from the grand opening and the team not doing all that well on a Wednesday against a non-marquee opponent.

These are the sort of games that I'm referencing in the song - the stories mean something to us but we got not many people to tell them to - this is on both sides.

(I would note that Cinci fan twitter basically said their team was solid & held us - nothing spectacular, just workmanlike.)

Red CB Toronto
05-01-2022, 07:02 PM

A great footy bar is right across the street form TQL Stadium, The Pitch Cincy. Went there before the USA Mexico game in November. Check it out. For some post-game night life check out e19 Lounge Bar & Discothèque. Has great vibe, about a 10 min walk from the stadium.

Webdogg
05-01-2022, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the tips. I was in Columbus for the game earlier and it was great. Never been to TQL but hoping for a good night. I’m actually debating on standing in the Bailey. Don’t want to get lynched but thought it would be cool. Just me and a coworker from the area so I can refrain from cheering for TFC for a game. Heck it’s likely I won’t have anything to cheer about anyways

Kamp Berg
05-02-2022, 11:38 AM
Hopefully we’ll see a much different lineup this week, especially seeing as they’re playing the same team on Wednesday. I’d like to see a 4-4-1-1, maybe something like:

Chung-O’Reilly-Salcedo-Petrasso
Thompson?-Osorio-Priso/Okello?-Nelson
Pozuelo
Jimenez

Graeme
05-02-2022, 01:09 PM
Here's a chance for Jimenez to pull into the lead for the Golden Boot (early days, I know). Would be nice to have at least a column dedicated to him at mlssoccer.com. His incredible run of play is seemingly being ignored (for now).

613reppingTFC
05-02-2022, 02:19 PM
Agreed would be nice to see Jimenez get another goal and take over that top spot for the race.
Will be interesting/telling to see what kind of a lineup Bob puts out there, first mid-week game and will have to see how MB deals with it if he's in the starting XI. I'm guessing Mavinga will be out with his hip, do we see more of Ayo? Shaff going to be back? Oso going to be okay with his leg after coming off that slight knock a few weeks back and playing another game so soon? Lots of questions to be asked here and not too sure if we have the answers. Cinci will also be playing their new DP that they subbed into the game so he should be fresh for them.
Does Nelson get a start..will he try and do too much?

Joe Kool
05-02-2022, 02:46 PM
Hopefully we’ll see a much different lineup this week, especially seeing as they’re playing the same team on Wednesday. I’d like to see a 4-4-1-1, maybe something like:

Chung-O’Reilly-Salcedo-Petrasso
Thompson?-Osorio-Priso/Okello?-Nelson
Pozuelo
Jimenez

Calling O'Neill by the name O'Reilly an inside joke that I am not aware of? Or honest mistake? I noticed you called him by that in a couple threads.

MightyDM
05-02-2022, 03:13 PM
It is an opportunity for BB to test a slightly different line up. He doesnt seem to trust Priso yet but if he is getting to where he was last year and BB is seeing it in training he might get a start. I'd like to see McNaughton in the mix - whether as part of a 3 or 2. And Poz needs something. He is a shadow of who he was, and unlike MB, doesn't have age to account for that.

jloome
05-02-2022, 04:21 PM
I feel a little like people are overstating the amount of drop off by both players. Pozuelo is among the league leaders in chance creation, dribbles and overall midfield rating. Bradley, without a doubt not fast or accomplished defensively enough to be the DM, nonetheless has 1.7 tackles a game.

the problem is that with the kids being so
error prone, any mistakes the veterans make are exponentially more dangerous. It’s a mistake covering the cross - we’re last in the league for allowing chances in the box— and then a veteran player is late to attack the ball. Or even more
common, a midfielder is stripped or caught high, the ball is pushed deep and wide, and the rookie wb misses the block.

theyre all blowing it a little but it’s not like each is playing on a broken leg. There have been plenty of moments of brilliance suggesting this isn’t all age and can be mitigated before we’re out of playoff contention. Definitely more depth, and an anchor.

JoesphNdo
05-02-2022, 04:24 PM
Yeah pozuelo has been worth nearly a goal a game in goals and assists, and is joint 15th in the league for key passes. He's being played deeper than I'd want which is limiting his effectiveness but the numbers have him as our top attacker and one of the better creative players in the league - and by far our most creative. This talk of him being rubbish does not match the numbers. The vast majority of good attacks we've had this season have passed through him, despite, again, him being told to play deeper

jloome
05-02-2022, 04:31 PM
I’d add that they’re still figuring out how to defend as a unit in transition.
We were statistically dominant in most areas of that last game but the three we lost were pretty Crucial: tackles, duels and goals. More shots, twice as many complete passes, more possession… fewer goals

Kamp Berg
05-02-2022, 05:48 PM
Calling O'Neill by the name O'Reilly an inside joke that I am not aware of? Or honest mistake? I noticed you called him by that in a couple threads.

Hahaha, more of a brain fart than anything else. Got O’Reilly stuck in there somehow.

MikeForbes
05-03-2022, 10:21 AM
The bench is basically gonna be kids from TFC II at this point.

https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/1521485936466530304?s=20&t=FslQHrQ6ym-XQ8R7OReLdg

noxx98
05-03-2022, 11:46 AM
Salcedo is also now out with COVID… the team is going to be thin.
Oso also left training early today.

ag futbol
05-03-2022, 12:32 PM
Achara out too. Going to be very short handed tomorrow…

Red CB Toronto
05-03-2022, 01:07 PM
Wonder how many short term signing we will end up seeing? Should know by the end of the day.

Mr. Inbetween
05-03-2022, 02:24 PM
Although BB was not having any of it... "it's still about improving"...

Singh's attempt before the last game, as OtD succinctly stated (as well as Buffery's attempt to a lesser extent) to 'create a narrative about the next 3 games being against teams at the bottom of their conference & "creating a stranglehold" on a playoff position, is perhaps now a little more apropos?

It is a slippery slope to the bottom.
I sincerely hope this is not the beginning of that roll.
I prefer this team not be drenched so soon in that funk again.

Joe Kool
05-03-2022, 02:40 PM
So hard to know what to think about this season. Bits of good things for sure but a bunch of other stuff that just keeps coming. Just hope the good things continue long enough to be joined by other good things to make something of the team again. Amazing how quickly stuff can fall apart though.

ag futbol
05-03-2022, 02:42 PM
Is it bad that I think as long as Shane O’Neill is in the lineup things will somewhat stay together on the back line ?

Like in a way, he’s the only source of consistency back there. Mavinga and Salcedo are far from a stabilizing presence.

Sort of telling considering he’s not really a starter IMO

Ultra & Proud
05-03-2022, 02:54 PM
Is it bad that I think as long as Shane O’Neill is in the lineup things will somewhat stay together on the back line ?

Like in a way, he’s the only source of consistency back there. Mavinga and Salcedo are far from a stabilizing presence.

I bet you the MacNoughhton - O'Neill pairing holds up better under pressure than the Mavinga - Salcedo - O'Neill group did.

Mr. Inbetween
05-03-2022, 03:19 PM
I bet you the MacNoughhton - O'Neill pairing holds up better under pressure than the Mavinga - Salcedo - O'Neill group did.

I will not be taking that bet. :)

Still likely to get overrun, but that would be on and due to everyone else in front of, beside and behind them. :frown:

I need a :grouphug:.

jloome
05-03-2022, 03:27 PM

O’Neill had a stretch in Europe where he was forced to
sit for being the backline hothead, and he has some consistency issues. He was ball watching on the second goal, and a week earlier he misjudged the nyfc backpost cross on the third goal.

I don’t think he’s that much more consistent… just less athletically gifted and therefore slightly less prone to take chances. He won’t save games, but he usually won’t kill us with mistakes either.

Salcedo and Mavinga both have the speed and coordination to save games single-handedly. But as playera age that sometimes isn’t adjusted for ; plus when they get it wrong they get it way wrong.

I really don’t think our problems right now are “bad “ or “old” player related, but a
combination of strong personalities learning to work together and inexperienced teammates in the wings. Nearly all of our problem balls to defend this year have been from wingers and wbacks allowed too much space. Two-thirds have been
from Shaff not really being a wingback and Petrasso being Naive and slight of build.

it doesn’t help that the midfield speed leads to panic repositioning on the overlap side, but ultimately it’s our inability to defend a cross — on both ends — that is killing us.

MikeForbes
05-03-2022, 05:28 PM
I got a bad feeling about this one...

MightyDM
05-03-2022, 07:11 PM
I agree with JLoome that the problem is on the wings. The ease with which teams get crosses in is killing us in a variety of ways - and ways that are nothing to do with MB's sttengths or weaknesses. And Poz, for all is skill, looks like he is running in treacle. I don't think its permanent, but he looks slow and off the pace. Unfortunately we cannot afford that given the other issues with the club

Auzzy
05-04-2022, 12:35 AM
Salcedo is also now out with COVID… the team is going to be thin.
Oso also left training early today.

Holy crap. Judging by what's been happening to my friends and colleagues, I really doubt it's going to only be a single case. Current variants are just too freaking contagious, and these guys spend lots of time indoors together. I've actually been surprised there haven't been more cases around the league recently. I guess if they test very often maybe they can catch it early in the infectious period, plus people being very careful with symptoms. Also I guess the team can easily pay for all the PCR tests they want. Rapid tests are so damn unreliable for vaccinated people with symptoms these days, and you can't shut a player down for at least 5 days every time he gets the sniffles.

MikeForbes
05-04-2022, 08:22 AM
The bench is looking razor thin for this one.

https://twitter.com/TorontoFC/status/1521837077851222021?s=20&t=biRbgWEVQYwS9i7q6_VUJA

Red CB Toronto
05-04-2022, 09:18 AM

https://twitter.com/TorontoFC/status/1521837077851222021?s=20&t=biRbgWEVQYwS9i7q6_VUJA

We could very well see on of these kids get a start. Tonight is going to be interesting.

OgtheDim
05-04-2022, 09:49 AM
Sooo...no expectations...just get 11 out there, throw out the ball & see what happens.

In a way, I think I prefer this "I don't think they are going to do anything" TFC right now. Less drama.

rydermike
05-04-2022, 10:16 AM

I believe they are maxed at 4 short term loans per player. So this is Antonoglou's last one before he needs to be signed to a first-team deal. It's Franklin's third. Rothrock and Yeates on their first

Red CB Toronto
05-04-2022, 10:54 AM
I believe they are maxed at 4 short term loans per player. So this is Antonoglou's last one before he needs to be signed to a first-team deal. It's Franklin's third. Rothrock and Yeates on their first

Yes Themi has reached the max of four in season. With the roster space TFC has would not be surprised to see him signed to a home grown first team deal. Also in regards to short term deals you can only play a max of 2 MLS games under them.

As per the MLS website

Affiliate Short-Term Agreements
A club may sign a player, age 25 or younger during the league season, from its affiliate (MLS NEXT Pro / USL) to a maximum of four Short-Term Agreements (up to four-day contracts) each season (maximum of 16 days).

An individual player may be included on up to four MLS league season match rosters each season, however, that player may appear in no more than two MLS league season matches. An individual player may appear in any number of non-league games during the terms of his four Short-Term Agreements.

A club may roster up to four players on Short-Term Agreements per MLS league season match, so long as they are Homegrown Players or Players earning less than or equal to the MLS Senior Minimum Salary ($84,000) with the affiliate. This number will be reduced to one player per MLS league season match after Roster Freeze (inclusive of MLS Cup Playoffs). Additional players may also be signed to Short-Term Agreements for MLS league season games but only in cases of Extreme Hardship.

International Player limits still apply to Short-Term Agreements, excluding callups for cases of Extreme Hardship.

613reppingTFC
05-04-2022, 01:16 PM
So they can only play in max 2 games. They can only appear on the bench for total of 4 games. So if they signed today (for 4 days), they could be included in the roster today and Saturday and technically only be allowed to sign 3 short term deals.

Red CB Toronto
05-04-2022, 01:24 PM
A day trip for the TFC, they flew into Cincy this morning. I expect they are coming home right after with the west coast trip out to Vancouver this weekend.

Sports + Aviation on Twitter: "⚽️ Toronto FC (@TorontoFC) #TFCLive  FC Cincinnati #AllForCincy #CINvTOR ‼️ Rare @JetTipNet arrival alert ✈️ N840SY | SCX8725 | B738  YYZ - 10:39 am ET  LUK - 11:50 am ET  Tracking: (https://twitter.com/SportsAviation/status/1521881434738278401)https://t.co/w2ZaZoL7UJ https://t.co/yYu0SLvPnx" / Twitter

MightyDM
05-04-2022, 01:34 PM
I like seeing the building of the club. Like 2007, only better, because the veterans are ours and the youth are Canadian. I do hope Poz gets back his mobility and Priso gets fit enough to play beside MB. But watching the young players grow is fantastic. Two steps forward, one back. The more they can have a discreet role to focus on the better.

MightyDM
05-04-2022, 01:39 PM
Holy crap. Judging by what's been happening to my friends and colleagues, I really doubt it's going to only be a single case. Current variants are just too freaking contagious, and these guys spend lots of time indoors together. I've actually been surprised there haven't been more cases around the league recently. I guess if they test very often maybe they can catch it early in the infectious period, plus people being very careful with symptoms. Also I guess the team can easily pay for all the PCR tests they want. Rapid tests are so damn unreliable for vaccinated people with symptoms these days, and you can't shut a player down for at least 5 days every time he gets the sniffles.

everyone around me has had it, including a super fit 25 year old. Everyone was knocked out - like mono - with various other symptoms. But the 25 year old recovered the best. Judging from that experience, players would need time off but if get it the same way would be ok after a week or so. As for the over 50’s - it lingered and really affected people.

Ultra & Proud
05-04-2022, 03:36 PM
I like seeing the building of the club. Like 2007, only better, because the veterans are ours and the youth are Canadian. I do hope Poz gets back his mobility and Priso gets fit enough to play beside MB. But watching the young players grow is fantastic. Two steps forward, one back. The more they can have a discreet role to focus on the better.
I agree. I read that article on Seattle in the CCL final from ESPNFC and how Schmetzer is crediting them competing in this and staying consistent in the league to their academy churning out young guys who can be effective in spots 12-15. He referred to it as sort of like having an extra $1M in cap space from their young guys who are cap exempt. I am looking at us this season, especially the first half, as a trial by fire to see who will be the key guys to take those spots on our roster when we restock. In the long run, it should pay off for us like it has for Seattle and I would take this any day over watching guys like Dwyer or DeLeon fill the void but offer little more than that.

jloome
05-04-2022, 05:45 PM
Yes Themi has reached the max of four in season. With the roster space TFC has would not be surprised to see him signed to a home grown first team deal. Also in regards to short term deals you can only play a max of 2 MLS games under them.

As per the MLS website

Affiliate Short-Term Agreements

A club may sign a player, age 25 or younger during the league season, from its affiliate (MLS NEXT Pro / USL) to a maximum of four Short-Term Agreements (up to four-day contracts) each season (maximum of 16 days).

An individual player may be included on up to four MLS league season match rosters each season, however, that player may appear in no more than two MLS league season matches. An individual player may appear in any number of non-league games during the terms of his four Short-Term Agreements.

A club may roster up to four players on Short-Term Agreements per MLS league season match, so long as they are Homegrown Players or Players earning less than or equal to the MLS Senior Minimum Salary ($84,000) with the affiliate. This number will be reduced to one player per MLS league season match after Roster Freeze (inclusive of MLS Cup Playoffs). Additional players may also be signed to Short-Term Agreements for MLS league season games but only in cases of Extreme Hardship.

International Player limits still apply to Short-Term Agreements, excluding callups for cases of Extreme Hardship.

Good to see Rothrock get a look.

MikeForbes
05-04-2022, 05:47 PM
Feeling like a massive underdog to Cincinnati is a tough look.

Webdogg
05-04-2022, 05:59 PM
I’m watching warmups. It’s possible I might be a second half sub it’s that thin

MikeForbes
05-04-2022, 06:04 PM
Priso and Thompson in the midfield?

https://twitter.com/TorontoFC/status/1521983741593333770?s=20&t=RmJRvROVJl6SDypDOpK8dg

OgtheDim
05-04-2022, 06:04 PM
Priso in for Oso - watching him might be the only interesting part of this match.

MightyDM
05-04-2022, 06:25 PM
I agree. I read that article on Seattle in the CCL final from ESPNFC and how Schmetzer is crediting them competing in this and staying consistent in the league to their academy churning out young guys who can be effective in spots 12-15. He referred to it as sort of like having an extra $1M in cap space from their young guys who are cap exempt. I am looking at us this season, especially the first half, as a trial by fire to see who will be the key guys to take those spots on our roster when we restock. In the long run, it should pay off for us like it has for Seattle and I would take this any day over watching guys like Dwyer or DeLeon fill the void but offer little more than that.

totally agree. In a way, Curtis was building an expansion team - recycled coach, recycled players.

RedsYNWA
05-04-2022, 06:26 PM
with Jesus on your team there is always hope

MightyDM
05-04-2022, 06:28 PM
Priso in for Oso - watching him might be the only interesting part of this match.

glad for him. Hope he has finally recovered. If he is sitting beside MB could be very effective.

Webdogg
05-04-2022, 06:37 PM
Guy beside me is asking me who the heck all these TFC subs are. I had no answer

ag futbol
05-04-2022, 06:56 PM
Dare I say playing Michael Bradley back-to-back with a midweek game is poor judgment?

Webdogg
05-04-2022, 06:57 PM
Ok that was pathetic

jloome
05-04-2022, 06:59 PM
Ok that was pathetic

Just ... wow. That was awful.

MikeForbes
No shame in losing to MLS powerhouse FC Cincinnati.

noxx98
I can’t watch live so I’m PVRing the game and was planning to watch tonight.
Might just stick to looking at the box score at this rate…

OgtheDim
05-04-2022, 07:00 PM
LOL....wow....just wow

rydermike
Can we just forfeit

ag futbol
Yikes…Who teaches these kids how to tackle?

“Make sure to aim high and point your studs at him!”

jloome
05-04-2022, 07:01 PM
My god, what was he doing lunging like that?

Just... wow. We're not going to have a good night.

Bushmancan
Sometimes it is just so difficult to watch. I might just turn on the biggest clutch team in the Leafs

jloome
Kid looks gutted.

MikeForbes
05-04-2022, 07:02 PM
#CannavaroIn

Webdogg
Oh boy. Going to have to focus on beer

KGH
Play the kids they said…

Kamp Berg
WTF is happening lately?

OgtheDim
05-04-2022, 07:03 PM

OK....now what do we look forward to?

ag futbol
05-04-2022, 07:03 PM
Kid looks gutted.
Feel bad for him, definitely. But where are they getting this from? Really bizarre way to play and we’ve not seen it from several players.

Webdogg
05-04-2022, 07:04 PM
Kinda of wish all you guys were here and I was at home

Ultra & Proud
OK....now what do we look forward to?

Bono's charge towards a new TAM deal and armband.

jloome
Play the kids they said…

We did seem to mostly agree before the season started that there were going to be nights like this with so many young players. Six key injuries, hyped-up young player who hasn't been playing in over a year...

It is what it is. Maybe we buckle down and freak a point out of it.

jloome
05-04-2022, 07:05 PM
Feel bad for him, definitely. But where are they getting this from? Really bizarre way to play and we’ve not seen it from several players.

We lacked aggression in the last game. He preached aggression to compensate. The kid over-compensated. That would be my guess.

MikeForbes
05-04-2022, 07:08 PM
Jayden Nelson is our Granit Xhaka when it comes to yellow cards.

ag futbol
05-04-2022, 07:11 PM
We lacked aggression in the last game. He preached aggression to compensate. The kid over-compensated. That would be my guess.
I keep coming back to this but I think our youth players are poorly coached.

Lunging I’m for a 50/50 ball like that in the midfield third, 2 minutes into a game… not necessary.

OgtheDim
05-04-2022, 07:14 PM
Michael Singh to BB after tonight's game

"Kosi Thompson seemed to have a really great game...."

MikeForbes
05-04-2022, 07:17 PM
Michael Singh to BB after tonight's game

"Kosi Thompson seemed to have a really great game...."

"Every TFC II player is so incredible, why don't you just play them all?"

MDH
05-04-2022, 07:18 PM
I keep coming back to this but I think our youth players are poorly coached.

Lunging I’m for a 50/50 ball like that in the midfield third, 2 minutes into a game… not necessary.

I think you're right but I personally think it's more that they are poorly developed, rather than coached. This is a problem within a Canadian culture that has come leaps and bounds in the last decade. But I see it in Petrasso, Priso, Nelson, Shaffelberg, Okello et al. They all have a bit of 'chicken with their heads cut off' in em. Talented certainly, but learning instinct while also learning tactics creates moments like Priso tonight.

Kamp Berg
What the hell was Bradley just doing? Ran right over the ball right on the edge of the box!

Bushmancan
We did seem to mostly agree before the season started that there were going to be nights like this with so many young players. Six key injuries, hyped-up young player who hasn't been playing in over a year...

It is what it is. Maybe we buckle down and freak a point out of it.

Agreed, and after coming to my senses.... Why am I watching a team that hasn't won in 55 years, let alone got out of the 1st round in 17. Going to suck it up and stick with this.

:scarf:

COYRs

jloome
05-04-2022, 07:22 PM
What the hell was Bradley just doing? Ran right over the ball right on the edge of the box!

He'd run by Thompson so he knew he was right behind him. But it was reckless and stupid to assume the kid would fill that gap. He doesn't have much defensive experience at this level.

ag futbol
05-04-2022, 07:22 PM
I think you're right but I personally think it's more that they are poorly developed, rather than coached. This is a problem within a Canadian culture that has come leaps and bounds in the last decade. But I see it in Petrasso, Priso, Nelson, Shaffelberg, Okello et al. They all have a bit of 'chicken with their heads cut off' in em. Talented certainly, but learning instinct while also learning tactics creates moments like Priso tonight.
Right, sorry, should have been more specific. That was a comment about TFCA / TFC2 not BB

jloome
05-04-2022, 07:23 PM
No call from the ref, foul on Nelson.

This guy doesn't like us much. I'm n ot faulting the red card which was terrible, but he's missed three calls in our favor by my count already, all on the left side.

MDH
05-04-2022, 07:23 PM
Right, sorry, should have been more specific. That was a comment about TFCA / TFC2 not BB

For sure but I also believe the problem begins earlier than that. It's got to do with our complete lack of youth coaches across the country. I think we'll get there. Another decade maybe.

jloome
05-04-2022, 07:24 PM
Great defending there from McNaughton, does the job right.

Kamp Berg
He'd run by Thompson so he knew he was right behind him. But it was reckless and stupid to assume the kid would fill that gap. He doesn't have much defensive experience at this level.

I figured that too, but Bradley’s seemingly cavalier attitude sometimes drives me nuts. Why would you ever take that chance at a professional level?

portu
Jesus Christ.

MikeForbes
05-04-2022, 07:26 PM
Cincinnati has a winner in Obinna.

OgtheDim
05-04-2022, 07:26 PM
When Shane O'Neill is your defensive speedster.....

jloome
05-04-2022, 07:27 PM
Certainly but I also believe the problem begins earlier than that. It's got to do with our complete lack of youth coaches across the country. I think we'll get there. Another decade maybe.

A lot of it is cultural, I believe. I grew up in England and moved here in my teens and there were so many good athletes here playing soccer, but none of them could read the game to save their lives beyond set zonal responsibilities.

They didn't grow up watching Match of the Day every week; it would be like kids here growing up without seeing hockey played at its highest level regularly until their teens, then expecting them to read picks and set plays and defensive shifts.

In football countries, it's the lifeblood. When a central defender ghosts to his right to pick someone up, they know someone should fill that hole. And the competitive nature from such an early age instills some real iron in them. here, kids get used to be in the elite on elite teams and rarely losing. There, you can go one town over and get your ass kicked by a bunch of kids from a school you never heard of.

jloome
05-04-2022, 07:29 PM
Now that we're a man, a goal and six players down, we're enough of an underdog for Caldwell to feel justified rooting for Toronto.

That's a wee bit of Celtic guilt for you. If you're not suffering, it's because you're already dead.

OgtheDim
05-04-2022, 07:30 PM
Funny, but this new D mid they got...he's leaving a big fat hole in front of his d line.

Webdogg
05-04-2022, 07:30 PM
Jesus is money

gracos
05-04-2022, 07:32 PM
And BB still thinks the solution is playing the youth; ugh; why didn't we utilize our first window more effective; so far BB is not showing well in my books

MDH
A lot of it is cultural, I believe. I grew up in England and moved here in my teens and there were so many good athletes here playing soccer, but none of them could read the game to save their lives beyond set zonal responsibilities.

They didn't grow up watching Match of the Day every week; it would be like kids here growing up without seeing hockey played at its highest level regularly until their teens, then expecting them to read picks and set plays and defensive shifts.

In football countries, it's the lifeblood. When a central defender ghosts to his right to pick someone up, they know someone should fill that hole. And the competitive nature from such an early age instills some real iron in them. here, kids get used to be in the elite on elite teams and rarely losing. There, you can go one town over and get your ass kicked by a bunch of kids from a school you never heard of.

Yeah I'm English born too. I often like to imagine how good a dude like Dero could have been if he was raised in a soccer culture. He was great and all but kinda the definition of a Canadian player to me. So much talent, so little nuance. But like I said, it's come leaps and bounds. Once we stop
needing the parent who's willing to coach we will see even more progress.

Webdogg
Maybe it’s me watching live but I don’t think Chung has a clue what he’s doing. Acosta is roasting him every time

MikeForbes
I don't think Alec Kann is getting his spot back when he returns from injury.

OgtheDim
05-04-2022, 07:33 PM
Jesus is money

Watching him play live, like you are doing, is quite the eye opener.

Webdogg
05-04-2022, 07:34 PM
Right on cue Chung was way out of position

MikeForbes
05-04-2022, 07:34 PM
Chung getting roasted.

jloome
05-04-2022, 07:35 PM
Cincinnati shouldn't beat us very often on the last two performances. The first one really stings now because we had more player options and came out flat.

But a minute ago, we had them pinned in their end despite a man advantage. Only their new guy, Obinna, had the sense to switch field to ease the pressure using space.

Man... if we had even one starting fullback of first-team quality, we'd probably have two more wins.

MikeForbes
05-04-2022, 07:36 PM
12 Alex Bono fluff pieces being typed up as we speak.

Webdogg
05-04-2022, 07:36 PM
Poz is losing his mind on Chung. He’s literally yelling at him

jloome
05-04-2022, 07:39 PM
Poz is losing his mind on Chung. He’s literally yelling at him

He's drifting higher and higher all the time, despite having been caught high on the first goal.

rydermike
05-04-2022, 07:39 PM
Bring on Franklin for Chung. Franklin was the top RB in USL1. I want to see what he has at MLS level. This is his third 4day contract. Let him play

jloome
05-04-2022, 07:45 PM
Meh.

Looked like a foul to me in the box. They were shit, we were shit, we got a card.

Shit game. Be nice to get one shitty point out of it at least though.

Webdogg
05-04-2022, 07:45 PM
I don’t think him that high is the plan. Poz is like 20 feet away so if that’s the plan then Poz didn’t get the memo.

Webdogg
05-04-2022, 07:50 PM
Ayo, Peruzza warming up. No other subs.

MikeForbes
05-04-2022, 07:51 PM
Ayo, Peruzza warming up. No other subs.

Basically the only subs we have tonight.

OgtheDim
05-04-2022, 07:52 PM
I seem to remember Okello had an early game red last year.

One & learned from is OK with me.

Webdogg
05-04-2022, 07:54 PM
Basically the only subs we have tonight.

True i guess. The other guys have joined since but maybe both are coming in at half.
Would like to play BB and speculate but that will make my head hurt. BB may not even know what BB is thinking.

Webdogg
05-04-2022, 07:57 PM
Looks like Kerr putting on the jersey.
Perruzza and Ayo all are out

SoccMan2
05-04-2022, 07:58 PM
Like seriously what the fuck is this shit ? Why is this team so thin on players? Why are they putting so much responsibility on these young players ? Get some proper players because right now this team is basically a glorified CPL team !

MightyDM
05-04-2022, 07:58 PM
Dare I say playing Michael Bradley back-to-back with a midweek game is poor judgment?

yes. I agree But he’s been superb. Best game of the year by far

OgtheDim
05-04-2022, 07:59 PM
Webdogg...appreciate the viewpoint from the stadium....added to your reputation.

OgtheDim
05-04-2022, 08:04 PM
Soooooooooo easy to break that press & get past Bradley.

jloome
05-04-2022, 08:04 PM
This is tactically smarter. We've dropped our engagement line to just above the half, to try to force them to try and park in our zone, giving us a chance to use speed to counter.

ag futbol
05-04-2022, 08:07 PM
yes. I agree But he’s been superb. Best game of the year by far
I don’t entirely know about suburb but in retrospect, what choice do we have? There’s nobody else who can take that spot. He’s got to be in the 11 (now 10)

rydermike
05-04-2022, 08:07 PM
What's up with the sound? It's muting the crowd every so often

Thomas
05-04-2022, 08:08 PM
Seems like a number of MLS players are learning from Mexico and Central American teams and falling and twisting in excruciating agony at the slightest of body contact.

rydermike
05-04-2022, 08:09 PM
The no penalty streak ends

OgtheDim
05-04-2022, 08:10 PM
Oooooo.....first pen against.

jloome
05-04-2022, 08:10 PM
Chung left so late. Barreal was going for the box a second earlier.

In the Prem, that wouldn't be a penalty. If the foot is in and the player drags his back foot over it, that's not considered the defender initiating contact.

Same thing happened with Forest-Liverpool in the cup, where the 'Pool goalie caught forest's forward with his hand in the box, but it was the dragging back foot.

ag futbol
05-04-2022, 08:11 PM
The no penalty streak ends
But the Bono no stop penalty streak continues.

jloome
05-04-2022, 08:11 PM
Now Caldwell's calling for yellows for us for being too vocal.

ag futbol
05-04-2022, 08:12 PM
Chung left so late. Barreal was going for the box a second earlier.

In the Prem, that wouldn't be a penalty. If the foot is in and the player drags his back foot over it, that's not considered the defender initiating contact.

Same thing happened with Forest-Liverpool in the cup, where the 'Pool goalie caught forest's forward with his hand in the box, but it was the dragging back foot.
Yeah, have to say, if that’s us appealing for a pen with this ref, not sure we get it.

OgtheDim
Hmmm.....if this season form continues, Cinci gets a 3rd goal real quick & then we get 2 & its all about the resiliency....

leedsandTFC
chung is out of his depth

Kamp Berg
05-04-2022, 08:13 PM
Really missing Richie and Auro

Thomas
05-04-2022, 08:14 PM
Can’t stand Caldwell rambling and trying too hard to be seen as not being preferential to TFC

Bushmancan
05-04-2022, 08:14 PM
Alex Bono penalty record —- 3 Saves 22 Goals Against. last saved penalty 2018

SoccMan2
05-04-2022, 08:15 PM
Get this piece of garbage Caldwell off the fucking telecast , like seriously what the fuck is this guys problem? The Jesus call he claims was not a penalty but this one he says is ?

jloome
05-04-2022, 08:15 PM
A second before the goal run, I was thinking 'Why is Chung so high when the ball is on the other side of the pitch? Maybe he's sure he has the speed to.... Oop, nope."

portu
05-04-2022, 08:18 PM
I think BB is a good coach so I’m not going to put any blame on him until after July. But this is atrocious. How many more points does this club have simply by signing a pair of MLS level fullbacks and a single winger?

Ultra & Proud
At least we're seeing who isn't good enough for MLS. Unfortunately the answer is almost all of them.

Webdogg
Not sure how Mcnaughton looks on tv but TFC would be screwed without him

jloome
Bob's conceding it, basically. Rest the guys who we need, get more energy on the pitch, pray for something.

jloome
05-04-2022, 08:19 PM
I think BB is a good coach so I’m not going to put any blame on him until after July. But this is atrocious. How many more points does this club have simply by signing a pair of MLS level fullbacks and a single winger?

At least six.

Kamp Berg
05-04-2022, 08:20 PM
If there aren’t a lot of reinforcements coming in the next two windows, we’re fucked.

leedsandTFC
05-04-2022, 08:21 PM
we need 2 fullbacks, and a CM, on top of insigne.

OgtheDim
05-04-2022, 08:21 PM
The question we should get in the post game presser

"Hey Bob, I noticed you talked to Jesus Jiminez after he came off - what did you say to him?"

What we will probably get

"So, Bob, how about the play of Ayo Akinola tonight...."

ag futbol
05-04-2022, 08:22 PM
If there aren’t a lot of reinforcements coming in the next two windows, we’re fucked.
One of two things… either:

We cleaned house early to provide flexibility to move in the summer

Or

Ali Curtis and Bill Manning screwed us and we’re in salary cap hell. We’re playing kids cause there’s nothing left in reserve

portu
05-04-2022, 08:23 PM
At least we're seeing who isn't good enough for MLS. Unfortunately the answer is almost all of them.
None of these guys are a lock to start, but literally every single one of them is walking and lacks impetus. This looks the same as last year. Chief among these is Bradley, who looks like he’s playing an over-50’s men’s league game.

Amir.
called it from preseason when he was making big mistakes...then against columbus didnt mark etienne who scored the game winner and now gave a penalty...unfortunately thats what it is

OgtheDim

Still think they didn't reckon on losing Laryea & Auro not gelling with BB.

rydermike
Chungs man wide open again

Kamp Berg

Or

Ali Curtis and Bill Manning screwed us and we’re in salary cap hell. We’re playing kids cause there’s nothing left in reserve

At this point we still look like we need a complete overhaul.

jloome
Where was the backpost cover? Where was Chung? He's having a shocker.

EDIT: Assuming you'll get the offside call and stopping running is very dangerous.

portu
05-04-2022, 08:24 PM

Or

I love seeing the kids get opportunities but they’re getting hung out to dry because they’re just being used to fill space in 18.

Derko
05-04-2022, 08:25 PM
Michael Bradley really needs to hang the cleats up, same for Bono
My 2 cents on a dismall performence.

Thomas
05-04-2022, 08:26 PM
Agreed.

portu
Still think they didn't reckon on losing Laryea & Auro not gelling with BB.
They didn’t have to accept the Laryea transfer at all. Brought it on themselves and their was transfer speculation all of last season re: Laryea to Besiktas.

Amir.
Turns it over again and Cincy go the other way and almost make it 3-0

Kamp Berg
05-04-2022, 08:27 PM

Yes please.

jloome

I dunno man, he's probably our best player outside McNaughton and Jimenez on the night. He's been blown by three times, at least, in transition, but he's also had a couple of saving tackles and has covered huge ground.

He really hasn't been that bad tonight. I get the sentiment about his speed, I think we all do. But I'm not seeing him as the problem tonight. (That dummy in front of our own box was insane, though).

jloome
If not for McNaughton this would be 5-0 by now.

portu
05-04-2022, 08:28 PM
I dunno man, he's probably our best player outside McNaughton and Jimenez on the night. He's been blown by three times, at least, in transition, but he's also had a couple of saving tackles and has covered huge ground.

He really hasn't been that bad tonight. I get the sentiment about his speed, I think we all do. But I'm not seeing him as the problem tonight. (That dummy in front of our own box was insane, though).
It’s not speed. It’s effort. He looks like he really doesn’t care.

jloome
05-04-2022, 08:29 PM
It’s not speed. It’s effort. He looks like he really doesn’t care.

Disagree completely. Not seeing that at all. He's run like hell all night.

Kamp Berg

He shuts off too often for a player in his position of leadership.

portu
If not for McNaughton this would be 5-0 by now.
Stellar performance. O’Neil and him were top quality signings to stock the bench.

jloome
05-04-2022, 08:30 PM
Oh look, the ref decided to pretend he was calling this both ways.

rydermike
They didn’t have to accept the Laryea transfer at all. Brought it on themselves and their was transfer speculation all of last season re: Laryea to Besiktas.
I don't mind the Laryea transfer. He wanted to go to Europe. Let him have that. The Auro move still leaves me dumbfounded and not signing a replacement (for him, Laryea, or Lawrence) even more so.

Kamp Berg
Stellar performance. O’Neil and him were top quality signings to stock the bench.

Now all we need are 7-9 starters, lol.

portu
Disagree completely. Not seeing that at all. He's run like hell all night.
He looks shut off. Similar to all last season. Zero impetus.

portu
05-04-2022, 08:31 PM
Now all we need are 9 starters, lol.
Oh no. Still need a pair of starting centrebacks (Salcedo could still pan out).

rydermike
05-04-2022, 08:31 PM
Finally Franklin in for chung. Should've been put in at the half

jloome
05-04-2022, 08:32 PM
He looks shut off. Similar to all last season. Zero impetus.

Yeah, I just don't agree man. He looked industrious and worked hard all night until about the 65 min. What he looks like since then is gassed, completely.

I mean, maybe it amounts to the same thing. He can't play a full game of us at 10 men as a number eight. he doesn't have the wheels.

OgtheDim
At this point we still look like we need a complete overhaul.

Nah

There are pieces here but the FB play & the slow midfield is just not working with BB's high press.

Its a work in progress & there's a few pieces that need to come in. But there's a lot of decent bits about.

portu
I don't mind the Laryea transfer. He wanted to go to Europe. Let him have that. The Auro move still leaves me dumbfounded and not signing a replacement (for him, Laryea, or Lawrence) even more so.
When you know so many fullbacks are going and are unlikely to bring any in, you have to hold off that transfer until the summer. Just poor all around.

portu
05-04-2022, 08:34 PM
Yeah, I just don't agree man. He looked industrious and worked hard all night until about the 65 min. What he looks like since then is gassed, completely.

I mean, maybe it amounts to the same thing. He can't play a full game of us at 10 men as a number eight. he doesn't have the wheels.
I think that’s fair, though I would call him gassed since half. He can’t carry water as a lone DM anymore. Way too much asked of him.

DSouzaZ
05-04-2022, 08:34 PM
Its a bunch of academy kids and CPL standouts.... we are never going to win shit like this
Bob Bradley is ass. Doesn't actually address any problems even when asked about it during the interview, and has blamed players in a few interviews? Like are you fucking kidding me... that's a no-no in coaching 101
Manning needs to fucking go. He's not good enough to build a solid team.
Insigne coming in is not going to do shit and he's just going to be frustrated, and want to leave if the gigantic holes in this team are not addressed quickly.
Also, Michael Bradley needs to fucking sit, but nepotism is strong at this club.

Bono is hot garbage.. any coach that doesn't see it is trash in my books.

Webdogg
05-04-2022, 08:35 PM
MB is not playing CDM right now. He’s way up

Kamp Berg
05-04-2022, 08:36 PM
Nah

There are pieces here but the FB play & the slow midfield is just not working with BB's high press.

Its a work in progress & there's a few pieces that need to come in. But there's a lot of decent bits about.

I agree there are lots of good pieces, but worryingly, very few automatic starters, and some stink from last year still lingering.

jloome
05-04-2022, 08:38 PM
I worry about Osorio not being here tonight, being pulled in the last game.

portu
05-04-2022, 08:38 PM
This team has a lot of great pieces for depth and a lot of anchors in key problem spots (Bono, Bradley, Mavinga, Salcedo).

rydermike
05-04-2022, 08:39 PM
Bono lol

portu
05-04-2022, 08:39 PM
I worry about Osorio not being here tonight, being pulled in the last game.
I got a terrible sinking feeling when the announcer said “and we can’t wait to celebrate 400 matches with you soon” at game this weekend

OgtheDim
05-04-2022, 08:40 PM
I agree there are lots of good pieces, but worryingly, very few automatic starters, and some stink from last year still lingering.

The only automatic starters, to me, are Oso, Poz & Jesus.

MB has to sit but he won't while there are so many mids injured.

jloome
05-04-2022, 08:41 PM
I worry he said something like "look, we all know what the problem in transition is, and has been for three years..."

ag futbol
Please Bradley, stay away from the free kicks

portu
Amazing that Bono still plays at this level, and amazing that Westberg was brought back to sit on the bench for good money when he’s not seen as better than Bono

OgtheDim
05-04-2022, 08:42 PM
Oso is injured but "there is no time frame for it" is what the broadcast said.

portu
05-04-2022, 08:43 PM
I worry he said something like "look, we all know what the problem in transition is, and has been for three years..."
Oso had such an amazing run at DM a while back, amazing he hasn’t been tried there once this season

Thomas
05-04-2022, 08:45 PM
Bono is just not good enough. Not blaming him for the overall performance tonight. A terrible distributor and cannot marshal the back line.

jloome
How did Brenner score 25 in 74 in Brazil? One of those cases of a guy who does all the basic stuff so well that playing at a higher level elevates him.

Can't do it on his own, though.

ag futbol
Oso had such an amazing run at DM a while back, amazing he hasn’t been tried there once this season
It still blows my mind we rode a budget and hamstrung roster to a near supporters shield with Osorio and Delgado as the midfield pairing. And then, we never actually tried it again.

DSouzaZ
05-04-2022, 08:47 PM
TFC for all the possession is not able to link up with Jimenez enough despite what Bob Bradley thinks. That is partly on how bad this team is, but I don't think Jimenez is the guy to lead the line. We need to bring in a striker that compliments the way we play.

jloome
05-04-2022, 08:47 PM
Bleh. Losing twice to this team feels bleh.

portu
05-04-2022, 08:48 PM
Brenner just missed a sitter, calmly collected his rebound outside the box, took the piss by lifting the ball over the head of a child before walking the ball to the 6 yard box and landing a shot on net.

This is a complete fucking pisstake.

jloome
TFC for all the possession is not able to link up with Jimenez enough despite what Bob Bradley thinks. That is partly on how bad this team is, but I don't think Jimenez is the guy to lead the line. We need to bring in a striker that compliments the way we play.

I don't think getting rid of the joint league leading scorer, who has done it on half the chances of anyone else in the league, is likely to help our chances.

portu
It still blows my mind we rode a budget and hamstrung roster to a near supporters shield with Osorio and Delgado as the midfield pairing. And then, we never actually tried it again.
This should have been our midfield pair for the next three years.

SirBobSaget
05-04-2022, 08:50 PM
Thompson. Petrasso and McNaughton are the only ones that grabbed their roster spots. I really hope there is cap room in July to bring in at least 3 other starters along with Insigne. With this strategy you can bring in a 200k player to start the year or a 400k player in July hoping for a late season surge and playoff run.

If thats not the case and they are completely up against the cap then yikes.

DSouzaZ
05-04-2022, 08:52 PM
I don't think getting rid of the joint league leading scorer, who has done it on half the chances of anyone else in the league, is likely to help our chances.

No absolutely not. Its astounding that he's scored so many with so little. Ultimately, I think he'd be more effective as a second striker.

gracos
05-04-2022, 08:53 PM
when do reinforcements arrive?? its sad we cannot even hear rumours of being linked to more players than Insignes friends, we should be completing our due diligence, some of these players might be able to play the bench but they are certainly not ready to be in the Starting XI

Kamp Berg
05-04-2022, 08:53 PM
The only automatic starters, to me, are Oso, Poz & Jesus.

MB has to sit but he won't while there are so many mids injured.

Sounds about right. Unfortunately even Poz still looks off.

portu
05-04-2022, 08:57 PM
Sounds about right. Unfortunately even Poz still looks off.
If BB is going to use Poz like this then they should just move him. He’s looked way out of sorts.

MikeForbes
05-04-2022, 09:00 PM

No one will ever be able to convince me that Delgado wasn't traded to open up a spot for Michael Bradley (who was alright tonight). Osorio and Delgado had so much chemistry. It just makes no sense to trade away the youngest of the three midfielders unless it comes out that Marky wanted to leave.

Kamp Berg
05-04-2022, 09:02 PM
If BB is going to use Poz like this then they should just move him. He’s looked way out of sorts.

No doubt, it’s definitely not working.

MikeForbes
05-04-2022, 09:03 PM

I really doubt that Poz will be here next year. Bradley doesn't seem to like to play with a 10 and Pozuelo does not seem to look great on the RW.

OgtheDim
05-04-2022, 09:06 PM
Poz would work in a 4-3-3 high press IF one of the other 3 was a defensive mid with speed. But its MB & Oso which means once they break the press, they got our slowish CB's to attack.

The real key to unlocking the capabilities of this team is decent covering defensive minded FB's & a good DM. That would free up the attacking wides & the attacking forwards to interchange more.

gracos
05-04-2022, 09:13 PM
we are bound to see more losses relying on TFC2 to do the job in the MLS, not acceptable

SirBobSaget
05-04-2022, 09:14 PM
So are we cheering for Seattle to be first MLS team to win CCL? Any other MLS team besides Atlanta or Seattle I would 100%. But this matchup I'm conflicted. Seattle fans can be really annoying, Liga MX fans are also really annoying. I want both groups to be miserable.

gracos
05-04-2022, 09:15 PM
So are we cheering for Seattle to be first MLS team to win CCL? Any other MLS team besides Atlanta or Seattle I would 100%. But this matchup I'm conflicted. Seattle fans can be really annoying, Liga MX fans are also really annoying. I want both groups to be miserable.

I dont care who wins, it isnt TFC thats for damn sure

SirBobSaget
05-04-2022, 09:20 PM
we are bound to see more losses relying on TFC2 to do the job in the MLS, not acceptable

The youth should have been getting a run out last year when TFC was clearly out of it. But management kept trotting out the old guys that are on there way out (Mullins, Dwyer, Gonzalez, ZAvaleta, Endoh) in hopes of getting short term results to save their jobs. Now we are in this bad position of having to sort out our budget depth.

reggie
05-04-2022, 09:20 PM
if i wanna watch tfc2 and cpl players i will go to york u and watch for free.
how does this clown manning still have a job

gracos
05-04-2022, 09:24 PM
if i wanna watch tfc2 and cpl players i will go to york u and watch for free.
how does this clown manning still have a job

totally agree

gracos
05-04-2022, 09:26 PM
The youth should have been getting a run out last year when TFC was clearly out of it. But management kept trotting out the old guys that are on there way out (Mullins, Dwyer, Gonzalez, ZAvaleta, Endoh) in hopes of getting short term results to save their jobs. Now we are in this bad position of having to sort out our budget depth.

so this shows how inept our management is, that after 10 games into the season as well as the preseason we cannot even get a grasp on our budget, does this mean Manning is to be let go, I am just so frustrated, how can we get it so wrong

stevep
05-04-2022, 09:29 PM

you sound like Caldwell when he says not acceptable
my question to you is:
what are you going to do about it?
my guess is nothing

gracos
05-04-2022, 09:31 PM
you sound like Caldwell when he says not acceptable
my question to you is:
what are you going to do about it?
my guess is nothing

so you let TFC run our club into the ground and dont want to see improvements, my guess is your content for mismanaging of the club, either that or we take a stand and my stand is to stop watching until they start showing signs that they want to improve, i will get my news and opinions from this forum

noxx98
05-04-2022, 10:08 PM
A lot of hot takes in here! This season was never going to be the end product. There was a LOT of roster clear out that happened - Mullins, Dwyer, DeLeon, Delgado, Auro, Lawrence, Richie - and it’s going to take time to refresh the roster. There’s a few other players who have contracts expiring at the end of this season that I imagine we’ll move on from. Realistically we should have started this process a few seasons ago and done it in a more gradual way. We’ve already hit on a good number of our signings - Jimenez, ONeill, Lukas. Salcedo has looked a bit suspect, but with a better DM ahead ahead of him he maybe won’t compensate so much.
There’s a number of things to like in isolate this year, a lot not to, but will continue to trust the process.

SirBobSaget
05-04-2022, 10:33 PM
A lot of hot takes in here! This season was never going to be the end product. There was a LOT of roster clear out that happened - Mullins, Dwyer, DeLeon, Delgado, Auro, Lawrence, Richie - and it’s going to take time to refresh the roster. There’s a few other players who have contracts expiring at the end of this season that I imagine we’ll move on from. Realistically we should have started this process a few seasons ago and done it in a more gradual way. We’ve already hit on a good number of our signings - Jimenez, ONeill, Lukas. Salcedo has looked a bit suspect, but with a better DM ahead ahead of him he maybe won’t compensate so much.
There’s a number of things to like in isolate this year, a lot not to, but will continue to trust the process.

You hit on my main complaint, the team was out of it last year but they did not initiate the rebuild. Its because those in charge were not trying to rebuild they were trying to get some wins in the short term. So yes Manning should have fired Curtis in July and told Perez to evaluate the youth. That didn't happen, strike like 10 on Manning. If Insigne isn't MVP calibre he needs to be booted hard.

portu
05-04-2022, 10:34 PM

This summer it will be “we’re still bringing guys in”.

This winter it will be “we’re clearing guys out”.

Next summer it will be “we’re still bringing guys in to replace the guys we cleared out”.

Next winter they’ll say “the team is still gelling”.

Webdogg
05-04-2022, 10:46 PM
Here’s my take from the game.

Jesus is the man. Can’t stress this enough, always moving to get free and rarely walking. Good to see a forward being constantly active.

Chung was continually burned playing so high. I didn’t understand the logic when they were a man down

McNaughton was great. If he’s your 4th CB you’re in good shape.

MB wasn’t as bad as people say. I’m not nearly as knowledgeable as some here but MB passed the eye test for me. I got a different look tonight and thought he did fine.

Poz is a mystery to me. He looked good at times but then seemed to be on the completely wrong side of the field at other times. There was a stretch where both teams worked up and down the same side but for some reason Poz simply jogged to the complete opposite side and abandoned the play. Maybe tired, maybe yelled at but just thought it was weird.

How Bono is still the goalie is unknown. He’s so bad it’s almost laughable

Petrasso looks solid. He seems to grind it out every play.

3rd game of the year for me in 3 different cities. I was first row on the sideline when I’m usually in the end. Was a really different look for me so I got a pretty good look at how far some guys pushed up the field. It seemed like MB, Chung and Petrasso were always far up as a group looking for offense but when they got caught they were really really burned. That seems like a coaching gamble and I think MB suffers in the fans eyes for that.

jloome
05-04-2022, 10:47 PM
h

Yah, agreed dude. Bradley was clear that they were very much a work in progress, which seems a clear public statement that he expects roster improvement in the summer.

I don't have much faith in Manning and I'm not sure if Bob can see past the family blinders, but it's early days, for sure.

Damn, though, do we need a DM, two wbs, and a gk.

Red CB Toronto
05-04-2022, 11:20 PM
And the lads are in the air will be back landing in Toronto within the next half hour, will be able to sleep in their own beds and move their focus to Vancouver, guess we will have to see what kind of lineup they can field, that will be the million dollar question, who is back?

SY8725 (SCX8725) Sun Country Airlines Flight Tracking and History 2022-May-04 (KLUK-CYYZ) - FlightAware (https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SCX8725/history/20220505/0300Z/KLUK/CYYZ)

Red CB Toronto
05-04-2022, 11:35 PM
This says it all, this team has to figure some things out, nothing good will happen until they do.

Anthony Khoury on Twitter: "Toronto FC has not won on the road in MLS since July 24th, 2021, where they beat the Chicago Fire 2-1. Since then, the Reds have played 13 away games, drawing four, losing nine. Alarming to say the least. #TFCLive" / Twitter (https://twitter.com/AnthonyKhoury4/status/1522027780321558529?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1522027780321558529%7Ctwgr% 5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.wakingthered.com%2F2022% 2F5%2F4%2F23057038%2Frecap-ten-man-toronto-fc-suffer-defeat-in-cincinnati)

MightyDM
05-05-2022, 01:22 AM
I was only able to watch until about65 minutes or so, but for that period Bradley ran the show. We dominated from shortly after Priso’s card to the second goal, despite 10 men, and he had a lot to do with that. Lots to be puzzled about. Ching so high up. No penalty for us. Their penalty. But for a good part of the game we showed heart desire and skill. Not bleak.

los sonadores
05-05-2022, 01:26 AM

Good coach but not showing enough as a GM yet. He looks like he had his hands full as a (youth) coach… I hope he can pay proper attention to summer window acquisitions. I wouldn’t mind some sort of competent assistant GM hire to help him out. Manning should not be a GM of any sort.

los sonadores
05-05-2022, 01:51 AM

So true.

Areathrasher
05-05-2022, 06:32 AM
Between that game and Seattle winning the CCL, what a sickening night :facepalm:

613reppingTFC
05-05-2022, 08:34 AM
wow we are lucky Cincy isn't that great, they couldn't link up more than a few passes otherwise the score could have been pretty rough. I still cannot get over why Bono is playing, his distribution is just atrocious, 42% pass completion last night and 56% for the year...compared to Westberg's 75% in the 3 seasons he played. Someone mentioned it in a previous post or podcast I was listening to and it makes so much sense. If you're the opposition why not just take your chance at shots from far, crosses and pressing the defence to pass back to him because chances are pretty high he will give it right back and they can re-set and start their attack again. (well if Salcedo doesn't give them a corner kick that is).
Had Priso stayed on the field I think the extra man would have had a big impact as we were controlling the game after he went off for a decent portion and pressing for the goal. Hopefully he will learn from this though..

Kamp Berg
05-05-2022, 08:41 AM
I was only able to watch until about65 minutes or so, but for that period Bradley ran the show. We dominated from shortly after Priso’s card to the second goal, despite 10 men, and he had a lot to do with that. Lots to be puzzled about. Ching so high up. No penalty for us. Their penalty. But for a good part of the game we showed heart desire and skill. Not bleak.

I don’t think anyone who watches avidly is trying to say that Bradley isn’t still playing at a high level. Bradley does many things very well. Unfortunately that doesn’t mean that he fits the team anymore. The problem is that although he’s great defensively, he’s not good enough to be the DM anymore. He also has some talent going forward, but certainly not enough to fill a role there. Seems like the only place he’s really well suited to now is as a #8, except that he’s too slow for that role on this team. But for me the biggest thing is that he seems to have lost his ability to have ‘bite’ for a whole game, instead he drifts in and out, moment to moment. Just like Mavinga. How is that workable in a team setup that depends on getting the most out of each position? Seems to me that the player that does fit the mould is Osorio. He should be our captain now, he’s certainly playing like he is.
What is bleak is that Curtis and Manning have put us in a hole that takes time to crawl out of makes it necessary to keep guys like Bradley and Bono in the starting 11, every game, no matter what.

JoesphNdo
05-05-2022, 08:52 AM
I still believe Bradley could be a serviceable 6, he's just always felt he was beyond that to his own detriment. It's shoehorning him in as a play maker (which he never had the ability to be) or, at his age, as someone high pressing that's killing him. If both Bradleys could come back to reality on his ability I think he could still be someone who could do a job on this team. Lots of players play the number 6 role well long after their legs go, look at Busquets, and Bradleys skills have always suited that role well

ag futbol
05-05-2022, 09:26 AM
Maybe my idea of what a good DM looks like is jaded but my issue with Bradley (as much as I’d admit he wasn’t the problem last game) is that he can’t cover ground nearly as well as he used to. Also not helping our cause, he’s paired with two less athletic midfielders.

I watch what happens when Poz gets the ball. The other team immediately rushes up to press to avoid him having the ability to turn and face the attacking half. They force him sideways or backwards as often as they can.

Watch what happens when the playmaker on the opposing team gets the ball in the same position. We’re simply not able to apply pressure consistently. Bradley if he’s isolated will stand off the man to avoid getting beaten for pace. The other guys aren’t too much better. We try to compensate by forcing guys into traps and then pressing as a group in places but it doesn’t always work.

And I know people are complaining about the flanks and the black line but it’s all related. If a passer can sit in the midfield and look around for options without feeling pestered, it makes your role as a defender that much harder.

MightyDM
05-05-2022, 09:32 AM
It is regrettable that we couldn’t see Priso for a game. With his mobility, lots of these questions get answered; not sure how it happens but he needs to be beside Bradley while still keeping Oso and Poz in the field. Solves many problems.

JoesphNdo
05-05-2022, 09:40 AM
Maybe my idea of what a good DM looks like is jaded but my issue with Bradley (as much as I’d admit he wasn’t the problem last game) is that he can’t cover ground nearly as well as he used to. Also not helping our cause, he’s paired with two less athletic midfielders.

I watch what happens when Poz gets the ball. The other team immediately rushes up to press to avoid him having the ability to turn and face the attacking half. They force him sideways or backwards as often as they can.

Watch what happens when the playmaker on the opposing team gets the ball in the same position. We’re simply not able to apply pressure consistently. Bradley if he’s isolated will stand off the man to avoid getting beaten for pace. The other guys aren’t too much better. We try to compensate by forcing guys into traps and then pressing as a group in places but it doesn’t always work.

And I know people are complaining about the flanks and the black line but it’s all related. If a passer can sit in the midfield and look around for options without feeling pestered, it makes your role as a defender that much harder.

I think disciplined, smart positioning can make up for alot though. If Bradley conserved his energy, stayed in his half and focused on defensive disciple I *think* some of those issues would go away. And he has other skills that work well in this position, like off the ball movement and always being an outlet to be passed too which takes alot of pressure off the defence

Kamp Berg
05-05-2022, 11:51 AM
I think disciplined, smart positioning can make up for alot though. If Bradley conserved his energy, stayed in his half and focused on defensive disciple I *think* some of those issues would go away. And he has other skills that work well in this position, like off the ball movement and always being an outlet to be passed too which takes alot of pressure off the defence

If their was a true leader in defence, it might work with Bradley. Unfortunately, there’s no one even close to being able to fill that role. Seems like the only time we’ve ever had that was with Moor.

Section 223
05-05-2022, 12:00 PM
I agree with this , I think we can all see that Michael is not the player he once was , but what confuses me is why the supposedly great coach we just hired is not doing anything about his son’s positioning

jloome
05-05-2022, 02:20 PM
I agree with this , I think we can all see that Michael is not the player he once was , but what confuses me is why the supposedly great coach we just hired is not doing anything about his son’s positioning

I suspect triage.

He's got so much to work on and fix with the younger guys that the older guys get too little attention. Instead of spending the vast majority of time guiding field coaches to handle units, he's out there teaching the twenty year olds

Ultra & Proud
05-05-2022, 03:23 PM
I suspect triage.

He's got so much to work on and fix with the younger guys that the older guys get too little attention. Instead of spending the vast majority of time guiding field coaches to handle units, he's out there teaching the twenty year olds
This makes a lot of sense and since this year is mostly a wash, might as well do what we should have done last year and teach these kids how to play properly. Let the vets do whatever since most will probably be gone or bench options at best next year.

JoesphNdo
05-05-2022, 03:56 PM
I suspect triage.

Not sure I fully buy into that when it comes to Michael Bradley. Bobs made comments comparing him too, I think, Xabi Alonso and talks about his play making and getting him forward. I think it's a case of a legitimate complete blind spot when it comes to what his son is and isn't good at. I think Michael's playing exactly as both Bradleys want him too, positionally.

I do think that line of thinking applies to alot of the other issues we're seeing this season, though

jloome
05-05-2022, 03:57 PM
This makes a lot of sense and since this year is mostly a wash, might as well do what we should have done last year and teach these kids how to play properly. Let the vets do whatever since most will probably be gone or bench options at best next year.

It's the best risk-reward balance. Plus, Insigne could end out having a Vasquez/Seba
type impact.

If we don't get any other starting options in the July window, I expect Manning will flee to a
lateral corporate safe position elsewhere. By next season, front office failures on basics like a complete first team will become untenable.

Joe Kool
05-05-2022, 04:02 PM
Year 1 pricing...why can't we be great?....ok we are not there yet. Still have the PTSD though. Never quite goes away does it.

Auzzy
05-05-2022, 05:14 PM
everyone around me has had it, including a super fit 25 year old. Everyone was knocked out - like mono - with various other symptoms. But the 25 year old recovered the best. Judging from that experience, players would need time off but if get it the same way would be ok after a week or so. As for the over 50’s - it lingered and really affected people.

I know lots of people who had it really bad recently, and lots really mild. Of course I don't assume that anyone on TFC would get a serious case. However we see with COVID and especially long symptoms it's often a crapshoot. Sure, younger & fitter have a better chance overall. But just look at Phonzie (myocarditis after a mild case of COVID) and lots of other athletes or young healthy people who had some serious symptoms despite being vaccinated.

But I really didn't want to get into that at all here. Even if someone wants to consider it like an extremely contagious flu that affects a few players badly: that means Salcedo having it could lead to a couple of players missing one or two games, even just to avoid the outbreak getting bigger. When a team is already as thin as TFC that's a huge issue.

Hopefully they can nip it in the bud and it doesn't spread beyond Salcedo.

Auzzy
05-05-2022, 05:27 PM
Please Bradley, stay away from the free kicks

Does anybody have stats on how many goals we've scored on the huge number of free kicks that Bradley has taken over the years? It seems like a very low number.

I think MB could still have a role to play. Chung looked decent in many other games. Same goes for most of the other players who didn't look great yesterday. I'm reminded of something jloome mentioned often in the last season -- maybe even longer that that. It seems like there's a fair bit of arrogance, paired with cluelessness.

Like the team should know that they had a makeshift D yesterday, with the (nominally) 3rd- and 4th-string CBs playing, and no natural FBs (at least not at MLS level). They should know they have a fairly slow midfielder in MB, and an overall make-shift team with lots of missing parts. So why the hell does everyone pull forward so far, even when we were only down by one? Why does Chung continue running all over the place after getting burned? Why is Bradley almost at the opposing penalty area, with nobody covering behind him at DM, when it already looks like he is gassed? Is there really nobody who can put in a better freekick than MB? Why have we not figured out some fairly safe ways for Bono to distribute the ball, w/o expecting too much from his abilities, and w/o him hoofing it? Plus the jogging we often see from the younger players who should be proving themselves. Maybe that's not arrogance, but it certainly looks like it.

stevep
05-05-2022, 05:34 PM
so you let TFC run our club into the ground and dont want to see improvements, my guess is your content for mismanaging of the club, either that or we take a stand and my stand is to stop watching until they start showing signs that they want to improve, i will get my news and opinions from this forum

Excellent idea! That’s what needs to be done
Good for you
what I did was cancel my season seats
i will go to single games in July.
but that’s it. I will not support this either

Auzzy
05-05-2022, 05:48 PM
I'm glad I found the right attitude towards TFC right now. My brain is so fried these days, I have to budget my mental energy. I decided to walk home 6km from work yesterday like I do most days; left a bit late and forgot about the TFC game for a while. My wife called that she wanted to meet me partway and we decided to hike some more and check out the cherry blossoms. By that time I had remembered the TFC game but said fuck it, this is more important. (The old me would never have done that.). Made it home to turn on the TFC game for the 2nd half. (Why the fuck doesn't TSN Live let you start an in-progress game from the start, like DAZN does???) Didn't get worked up about Chung's screw-up or anything.

Thinking long-term, this team has had and still seems to have problems. Look at Seattle in comparison. The long-term does concern me a bit; I still find a way to care about that. But short-term it's just not worth it. Have some beers and laugh a little. Be pleasantly surprised when they have a good game. Place wagers on MB's freekicks not leading to goals. Wait and see who they bring in with Insigne.

Cheers, I'm out!

stevep
05-05-2022, 06:20 PM
Can’t stand Caldwell rambling and trying too hard to be seen as not being preferential to TFC

caldwell is a total shill for tfc and mls
everything that grifter says is completely scripted

los sonadores
05-06-2022, 01:32 AM

https://malcolmgladwell.bulletin.com/canadian-soccer-team-argument-for-open-borders

Oldtimer
05-06-2022, 08:43 AM
https://malcolmgladwell.bulletin.com/canadian-soccer-team-argument-for-open-borders

When I was a kid, baseball was the summer sport. But I was signed up to soccer because my dad was Eastern European (Hungarian), it was a part of our culture.

Section 223
05-06-2022, 01:21 PM
Does anybody have stats on how many goals we've scored on the huge number of free kicks that Bradley has taken over the years? It seems like a very low number.

I think MB could still have a role to play. Chung looked decent in many other games. Same goes for most of the other players who didn't look great yesterday. I'm reminded of something jloome mentioned often in the last season -- maybe even longer that that. It seems like there's a fair bit of arrogance, paired with cluelessness.

Like the team should know that they had a makeshift D yesterday, with the (nominally) 3rd- and 4th-string CBs playing, and no natural FBs (at least not at MLS level). They should know they have a fairly slow midfielder in MB, and an overall make-shift team with lots of missing parts. So why the hell does everyone pull forward so far, even when we were only down by one? Why does Chung continue running all over the place after getting burned? Why is Bradley almost at the opposing penalty area, with nobody covering behind him at DM, when it already looks like he is gassed? Is there really nobody who can put in a better freekick than MB? Why have we not figured out some fairly safe ways for Bono to distribute the ball, w/o expecting too much from his abilities, and w/o him hoofing it? Plus the jogging we often see from the younger players who should be proving themselves. Maybe that's not arrogance, but it certainly looks like it.Simple answer to all your concerns is that the coach is not doing his job or or thinks he is but really is not good at doing his job, sadly we were all so happy when TFC signed Bob Bradley

OgtheDim
05-06-2022, 03:03 PM
Yeh, we've seen crappy coaches...Armas last year, for example

Fine with BB

e.g. JJ comes off on Wednesday - BB stops him as he comes off & talks with him for a minute as he comes off - not sure what but you could tell both left that knowing what was going on & in agreement.

BB is a builder & we won't see most of it.

Frankly, given our roster construction, we should be getting blown out.

Oldtimer
05-06-2022, 03:06 PM
Frankly, given our roster construction, we should be getting blown out.

Too many people forget this.

JoesphNdo
05-06-2022, 03:12 PM
Yeah overall I'm happy with Bob, it's two big worries so far - complete blindspot on his son and seems to want to play a certain formation regardless of it suiting the players he has or not. But, overall, he's been okay and pedigree wise we aren't going to get anyone better

MightyDM
05-06-2022, 06:47 PM
Simple answer to all your concerns is that the coach is not doing his job or or thinks he is but really is not good at doing his job, sadly we were all so happy when TFC signed Bob Bradley

Well, a few weeks ago you said coaches don't matter....

jloome
05-06-2022, 06:51 PM
...and seems to want to play a certain formation regardless of it suiting the players he has or not. ..

I'm convinced he's prepping for when we have additions, including Insigne. This is the system he wants them to play, and rather than amend it to make up for current shortcomings, he's effectively teaching our backups how to come in and be effective, rather than just languishing on the bench.

It's a case of pain now for a deeper, more effective roster later.

MightyDM
05-06-2022, 06:51 PM
Yeah overall I'm happy with Bob, it's two big worries so far - complete blindspot on his son and seems to want to play a certain formation regardless of it suiting the players he has or not. But, overall, he's been okay and pedigree wise we aren't going to get anyone better

Who plays instead of him? MB is holding the fort while others develop - he isn't what he was but as we saw on Wednesday he is still alot. Do we succeed playing Okello Kobi or Ralph Priso instead of MB?? Thats the real question.

BB is very clear headed and really clear in his press conferences. Doesn't seem to miss anything. It is far more consistent with his behaviour to assume that he has complete clarity about MB's strengths and weaknesses.

jloome
05-06-2022, 07:00 PM
Well, a few weeks ago you said coaches don't matter....

We won three games in a row, so everyone terminally depressed disappeared from the boards. Now we've lost three in a row, the "sky is falling" again.

People need to wrap their heads around the fact that until Bradley got here in January, the rebuild hadn't even really started. We're probably two more transfer windows from a complete roster, at least.

As Og said, we're outperforming the relative skill level of our starters right now. The only two of the young guys who are likely ever going to see starting time are McNaughton and Petrasso, possibly Thompson. Nelson, Chung, Kerr, are all going to be seeing spot duty, possibly Petrasso too, given that Shaffelburg is faster and also produces assists, and they'll be running the overlap.

I'm not sold he has a Michael blindspot yet. People quite often have realistic views of their kids, particularly grown-ass men in their sixties. He just doesn't see much other option right now, because he doesn't have one.

People keep mentioning Auro and a few have mentioned Delgado. But a new manager has to believe a player will buy in to what he's selling. If he considers them negative to the room, he's going to get rid of them. It's easy to say "they're good player, we need them," but neither was particularly good or consistent over the last two seasons. Auro wasn't awful, while Delgado had a horrendous season last year and had been po faced for ages.

Early days. I have no issue with Bradley yet. If the DM situation isn't resolved by the end of the year, and we don't significantly improve more than just left wing, then yeah, Manning has had more than enough time; I don't trust him to do the job because he was foolish enough to hire Curtis and then approve a string of his stupid decisions.

MightyDM
05-06-2022, 07:29 PM
Totally spot on JLoome. With clarity as always from you.

as for me, I’m enjoying the yutes. I do think Nelson has potential though. He needs to look for the one touch pass and if he can, could be very good indeed.

also dont forget Priso.

JoesphNdo
05-06-2022, 07:54 PM
Who plays instead of him? MB is holding the fort while others develop - he isn't what he was but as we saw on Wednesday he is still alot. Do we succeed playing Okello Kobi or Ralph Priso instead of MB?? Thats the real question.

BB is very clear headed and really clear in his press conferences. Doesn't seem to miss anything. It is far more consistent with his behaviour to assume that he has complete clarity about MB's strengths and weaknesses.

I wouldn't drop Michael, but, playing him as a play maker is showing a level of faith in his abilities in that area that, I'd argue, is not backed up by reality and is not based on a fair assessment on his strengths or weaknesses. Also he publicly blamed a goal we conceeded from a Bradley blunder (which anyone can do! But it happened) on pozuelo. Those two things worry me. So I'd still play Michael for sure, but I would not have him in the role he's in and it's doing him no favours - most people (not you, I know that!) think he's having a pretty bad season as a result

OgtheDim
05-06-2022, 10:03 PM
Current system doesn't work with MB as that #8 or as that #6, mostly because the other mids are not fast enough & the FB's are defensive liabilities.

To me, MB works currently as a #6 nailed in front of the top 4 in a 4-2-3-1. But, we aint' gonna play that.

We have no speedsters beyond Shaff, and it shows. No team speed, no wide threat.

Slick
05-07-2022, 11:40 AM
We won three games in a row, so everyone terminally depressed disappeared from the boards. Now we've lost three in a row, the "sky is falling" again.

People need to wrap their heads around the fact that until Bradley got here in January, the rebuild hadn't even really started. We're probably two more transfer windows from a complete roster, at least.

As Og said, we're outperforming the relative skill level of our starters right now. The only two of the young guys who are likely ever going to see starting time are McNaughton and Petrasso, possibly Thompson. Nelson, Chung, Kerr, are all going to be seeing spot duty, possibly Petrasso too, given that Shaffelburg is faster and also produces assists, and they'll be running the overlap.

I'm not sold he has a Michael blindspot yet. People quite often have realistic views of their kids, particularly grown-ass men in their sixties. He just doesn't see much other option right now, because he doesn't have one.

People keep mentioning Auro and a few have mentioned Delgado. But a new manager has to believe a player will buy in to what he's selling. If he considers them negative to the room, he's going to get rid of them. It's easy to say "they're good player, we need them," but neither was particularly good or consistent over the last two seasons. Auro wasn't awful, while Delgado had a horrendous season last year and had been po faced for ages.

Early days. I have no issue with Bradley yet. If the DM situation isn't resolved by the end of the year, and we don't significantly improve more than just left wing, then yeah, Manning has had more than enough time; I don't trust him to do the job because he was foolish enough to hire Curtis and then approve a string of his stupid decisions.

My sentiments exactly. I couldn't have put it any better.

MightyDM
05-08-2022, 07:45 PM
I wouldn't drop Michael, but, playing him as a play maker is showing a level of faith in his abilities in that area that, I'd argue, is not backed up by reality and is not based on a fair assessment on his strengths or weaknesses. Also he publicly blamed a goal we conceeded from a Bradley blunder (which anyone can do! But it happened) on pozuelo. Those two things worry me. So I'd still play Michael for sure, but I would not have him in the role he's in and it's doing him no favours - most people (not you, I know that!) think he's having a pretty bad season as a result

people see his mistakes but miss the other stuff - today for example he was very good indeed but the board only noticed an error. I’m not saying that he is the Bradley of 2015, but he does an awful lot people don’t notice so take for granted. (And Poz did pass him that ball under pressure ;)