PDA

View Full Version : TFC gimmick-free since 2007

Oldtimer
04-29-2022, 03:43 PM
I just watched a clip on Nashville SC and how they cut a vinyl of the game commentary for their MOM.

The Timbers slice off a piece of log. New England fire 1700's muskets. Montreal rings that awful bell. Seattle have their band marches. There probably are others that don't immediately come to mind.

Why so many lame gimmicks? :Yawn:

TFC, gimmick-free since 2007. No mascots. No cheerleaders. Just a team with solid support by people who don't need cheap gimmicks. :coolgleam:

Initial B
04-29-2022, 03:45 PM
What about Bitchy the Hawk?

Oldtimer
04-29-2022, 03:51 PM
What about Bitchy the Hawk?

Hmmm, Bitchy was originally just a working bird, they did turn her into a mascot for a couple of years. She's gone now, though. Maybe we weren't gimmick-free for all of the time...

OgtheDim
04-29-2022, 04:33 PM
1 person's gimmick is another person's tradition

We sing a very stupid song before the game

We hold up our scarves for the Can anthem, but not the US

"I'll say the first, you say the last"

We play "Just can't get enough" after we win

Anything that comes from / been co-opted by ownership is a gimmick of sorts.

jabbronies
04-29-2022, 04:36 PM
The only gimmick I like at TFC is when the kids come out at halftime and play some footy.

eustacchio
05-02-2022, 01:28 PM
1 person's gimmick is another person's tradition

We sing a very stupid song before the game

We hold up our scarves for the Can anthem, but not the US

"I'll say the first, you say the last"

We play "Just can't get enough" after we win

Anything that comes from / been co-opted by ownership is a gimmick of sorts.

The worst part is all of your examples were co-opted by ownership.

I don't remember when they started playing Legend TFC at the start of matches - but I hated that song for years. Now it gets stuck in my head.

Maybe I'll say the first and last has always been a thing but I don't remember the instructions in the early years.

Oldtimer
05-02-2022, 01:50 PM
The worst part is all of your examples were co-opted by ownership.

I don't remember when they started playing Legend TFC at the start of matches - but I hated that song for years. Now it gets stuck in my head.

Maybe I'll say the first and last has always been a thing but I don't remember the instructions in the early years.

In favour of the Legend TFC, it is a supporter-created original song. Not a masterpiece, particularly if you know the lyrics that they don't show, but it is authentic. For that reason alone I like the song.

The first and last name was also supporter-created (copied from the Bundesliga). Originally they didn't have an announcer telling people what to do, it was just something we did. I think we started doing it maybe around 10 years ago? After a while TFC added the announcer instructions.

Joe Kool
05-02-2022, 02:35 PM
The first and last name was also supporter-created (copied from the Bundesliga). Originally they didn't have an announcer telling people what to do, it was just something we did. I think we started doing it maybe around 10 years ago? After a while TFC added the announcer instructions.

Yeah we were yelling the last name and singing Oh Canada loud enough on occasion to make the singer stop and just listen to us and we were holding our scarves up for a long time before TFC FO decided to have an announcer tell us to do it and now because of the announcer it lost all meaning now and just looks like another gimmicky thing orchestrated by the TFC FO as if it was their idea. They should have left it alone.

JoesphNdo
05-02-2022, 04:11 PM
It's a huge stretch to say we're gimmick free but that vinyl thing is the most hipster nonsense thing I've ever heard of

eustacchio
05-02-2022, 04:47 PM
In favour of the Legend TFC, it is a supporter-created original song. Not a masterpiece, particularly if you know the lyrics that they don't show, but it is authentic. For that reason alone I like the song.

That's what I thought.

When did they start playing Legend TFC? I remember some capos trying to get it going in the stands back in the day. I was not a fan of it then - it has grown on me though.

Oldtimer
05-02-2022, 05:08 PM
That's what I thought.

When did they start playing Legend TFC? I remember some capos trying to get it going in the stands back in the day. I was not a fan of it then - it has grown on me though.

I think it was during the 2017 season, not that long ago.

The original song is from 2009. There was actually a movement back sometime of some supporters that suggested to TFC that they play it instead of some of the other songs that they played back in the day. I imagine the sticking point would have been getting the rights worked out, which they must have eventually done. It's not exactly YNWA or some of those other classic club anthems, but it is ours.

The original 2009 post of the song is on spotify: https://open.spotify.com/track/1GxM19CUCbn4QCP1QIRuCx

(https://open.spotify.com/track/1GxM19CUCbn4QCP1QIRuCx)

OgtheDim
05-02-2022, 06:06 PM
It's a huge stretch to say we're gimmick free but that vinyl thing is the most hipster nonsense thing I've ever heard of

Nashville though is at least authentically hipster in a "we are stuck here while you send us all your bridal showers to get drunk each weekend so we might as well not take any of this seriously" sort of way.

Slick
05-02-2022, 10:44 PM
I think it was during the 2017 season, not that long ago.

The original song is from 2009. There was actually a movement back sometime of some supporters that suggested to TFC that they play it instead of some of the other songs that they played back in the day. I imagine the sticking point would have been getting the rights worked out, which they must have eventually done. It's not exactly YNWA or some of those other classic club anthems, but it is ours.

The original 2009 post of the song is on spotify: https://open.spotify.com/track/1GxM19CUCbn4QCP1QIRuCx

(https://open.spotify.com/track/1GxM19CUCbn4QCP1QIRuCx)

Oldtimer, didn't the song originate in our inaugural year?? I could be wrong.

Anyways, I couldn't stand the song when it first came out, but it has grown on me since. I don't mind it playing before the game, but the lyrics need to be tweaked. The part with "legend TFC" is cringeworthy to say the least.

eustacchio
05-03-2022, 07:18 AM

Anyways, I couldn't stand the song when it first came out, but it has grown on me since. I don't mind it playing before the game, but the lyrics need to be tweaked. The part with "legend TFC" is cringeworthy to say the least.

That's why I disliked it so much back in 2009.

Oldtimer
05-03-2022, 08:44 AM

The earliest reference to the song's existence is on April 4 2008 (on Big Soccer). It was copyrighted and uploaded to social media in 2009, which is when I became aware of it. So we'll split the difference between 2007 and 2009. :D

GoodDead on BS had a funny commentary on it two days after the first comments:

In a bun
With a side of fries
We will always super size

Through the lines,
we drive through,
We will always get to you.

For the Toys
in a Happy Meal
for the Toys in A HAPPY MEAL
Oh we drink and Eat the legend Micky D's!

In the day
through the night
for forever we want a bite
by the 'Mac
by Mc Nuggets
Your meals fill our stomachs

For the Toys
in a Happy Meal
for the Toys in A HAPPY MEAL
Oh we drink and Eat the legend Micky D's!

LOL seriously though, what Legend? That song starts off well but once it hits the chorus onwards it is brutal.

Let's win at least 5 Championships before we start singing that song (and with seriously revamped lyrics, Stone? Sword? hunh?)

Not a bad tune, but there's a reason they don't sing all the lyrics. Is TFC "legend" status yet? Even though setting league records both good and bad, and being the "winningest" team in Canada, it's debateable. Do they use swords or stones? I hope not! :facepalm:

Auzzy
05-04-2022, 12:39 AM
It's an awesome song if your drunk. Even the lyrics make sense then. And it's the perfect groove for drunkenly swaying back and forth.