PDA

View Full Version : TFC Academy U-16 Game at the Soccer Centre in Vaughan

TFC John
08-06-2008, 06:15 PM
So I'm sitting here watching the Academy U-16 team warm up. The game was supposed to start at 7:00 pm but the other team is not here. Wait 4 hits just walked out on the pitch. Maybe there will be a game after all.

Anyway, the reason I'm posting is because even though this is an outdoor field, it is covered with Field Turf! What is it about this stuff that every place I go to watch football in this area they have fake grass? BMO, Lamport and now this family oriented Soccer Centre.

There are lots of pitches here and all of them look like real grass. Why would anyone choose to play on Turf right next to a real pitch?

TFC John
08-06-2008, 06:21 PM
So now there are 2 teams out there but the Academy had to go inside to change their shirts because the reds (referees - sorry. I was typing on a blackberry) are wearing red.

mlsintoronto
08-06-2008, 06:36 PM
There are lots of pitches here and all of them look like real grass. Why would anyone choose to play on Turf right next to a real pitch?

take a walk on those fields and you'll understand why.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
08-06-2008, 06:44 PM

PURE BS!

we choose it cause TFC PLAY ON IT!! why would we groom our youngins to play on real grass!??

we dont have hucks cuase of shit like this!!.... Ronnie o'brian.....shall i continue!!.....

we will be the only team in MLS...to play on this crap!!!.....but as long as the city makes its money in the winter....we are foooooooooooooooooked!!!...

BUILD it And we will come!!!

BMO2 :)

olegunnar
08-06-2008, 06:52 PM
The thing is, the turf at BMO may be top of the line, but it'll always be considered second rate when compared to any grass field.

If a player were to be asked if they would rather play on BMO's pitch of the pitch at Independence Park in Kingston Jamaica and I bet most would pick the grass one...even if by all scientific measures BMO is "better"

so TFC John's impression should be all that surprising.

MFG1
08-06-2008, 06:58 PM

and the groomers dont roll the fields on a regular grass pitch more often to keep it from getting lumpy???

Shakes McQueen
08-06-2008, 07:01 PM
PURE BS!

we choose it cause TFC PLAY ON IT!! why would we groom our youngins to play on real grass!??

we dont have hucks cuase of shit like this!!.... Ronnie o'brian.....shall i continue!!.....

we will be the only team in MLS...to play on this crap!!!.....but as long as the city makes its money in the winter....we are foooooooooooooooooked!!!...

BUILD it And we will come!!!

BMO2 :)

Take a deep breath man...

His point was that a proper grass pitch requires extensive maintenance, and that those grass pitches TFC John mentioned are probably poorly maintained.

- Scott

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
08-06-2008, 07:06 PM

His point was that a proper grass pitch requires extensive maintenance, and that those grass pitches TFC John mentioned are probably poorly maintained.

- Scott

I wont take a breath thank you!! Thats what LEAFS fans do....as they have watched there team fall apart in front of there eyes!.......and continue to fill the gate without a care in the world!

This is a huge issue......if the supporters dont speak up...who will!!

CArver has said already...we are losing signings everyday..cause they dont want to play on plastic....

whats the solution??

figure it out

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
08-06-2008, 07:09 PM

- Scott

the BRazlians didnt have trouble grooming superstars all those years on ROCK FIELDS!!:noidea:

Shakes McQueen
08-06-2008, 07:10 PM
I wont take a breath thank you!! Thats what LEAFS fans do....as they have watched there team fall apart in front of there eyes!.......

This is a huge issue......if the supporters dont speak up...who will!!

CArver has said already...we are losing signings everyday..cause they dont want to play on plastic....

whats the solution??

figure it out

We would all like to see a real pitch installed at BMO. We also know that management is aware they are losing signings because of the playing surface. And we also know that management would like to have a real grass pitch.

The ball is not in MLSE's court. The ball is in the City of Toronto's court, to decide not to use it as a year round public facility, and let MLSE use it as Toronto FC's home pitch only.

Not losing my mind about the issue doesn't make me a "Leafs fan", it just means I'm trying to be realistic about the situation.

- Scott

Ladies Love Julius James
08-06-2008, 07:12 PM
For once I'll agree with Paul. Those fields take a beating in the winter having coached there for 2 years. You put grass it would be uneven and just dangerous.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
08-06-2008, 07:12 PM
We would all like to see a real pitch installed at BMO. We also know that management is aware they are losing signings because of the playing surface. And we also know that management would like to have a real grass pitch.

The ball is not in MLSE's court. The ball is in the City of Toronto's court, to decide not to use it as a year round public facility, and let MLSE use it as Toronto FC's home pitch only.

Not losing my mind about the issue doesn't make me a "Leafs fan", it just means I'm trying to be realistic about the situation.

- Scott

if the decision is in CITY HANDS!!

Doooomed!

Shakes McQueen
08-06-2008, 07:17 PM
if the decision is in CITY HANDS!!

Doooomed!

Considering that Toronto FC has already been a financial success for MLSE, and a major hit for the City of Toronto in general, I wouldn't be surprised to see the City allow MLSE to install real grass, and do whatever else needs to be done to make the team successful.

Remember, when BMO was built, TFC was still an unproven financial experiment, in an unproven league. All of these decisions about stadium ownership and whatnot made a few years ago, likely didn't have this kind of wild success in mind.

Now that they have seen the sustained success of the team, the ownership equation may change.

- Scott

T_Mizz
08-06-2008, 07:29 PM
the BRazlians didnt have trouble grooming superstars all those years on ROCK FIELDS!!:noidea:
Then what's wrong with soft plastic, bud?

TFC John
08-06-2008, 07:30 PM
4 - 0 at the half if anyone is interested. Beautiful goal by #7 from about 30 yards.

T_Mizz
08-06-2008, 07:32 PM
for us? How's Allando doing? that kid's grat

TFC John
08-06-2008, 07:32 PM
4 - 0 at the half for TFC Academy if anyone is interested. Beautiful goal by #7 from about 30 yards.

TFC John
08-06-2008, 07:34 PM
I don't know their names but our boys are playing great. Total domination.

T_Mizz
08-06-2008, 07:37 PM
he's number 9 on the roster number 1 in our hearts

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
08-06-2008, 08:16 PM
Then what's wrong with soft plastic, bud?

the quote was regarding the crappy grass pitches in TO!! That are dangerous to some!

as for plastic.......its more about not being able to attract players in certin months do to the field!!

isnt that the issue here?

TFC John
08-06-2008, 08:18 PM
7 - 0 final. No #9 playing.

CoachGT
08-06-2008, 08:38 PM
Aurora has a plastic pitch too

adam1001
08-06-2008, 09:04 PM
TFC absolutely crushed them. I left after they scored the fifth goal. Many of their top players such as Kevin Cobby and Allando Matheson were watching from the stands (maybe to give some subs a chance to start).

TFC John
08-07-2008, 05:10 AM

I did take a walk on the other pitches after the game as you suggested. I agree that some of them were crap. However there was a men's league game on a grass pitch with lights and it looked to be in good shape. I found two more pitches that I think would be good if someone had cut the grass recently. They also had another plastic pitch there with lights on where another game was being played. That reminded me of the fact that in this year's budget Vaughan City Council delayed putting another Firetruck into service in Woodbridge but they were all proud of themselves for finding the money to add a Field Turf pitch in Maple.

I ran into the coach in the parking lot as I was leaving. He told me their next game is Friday morning at 8:00 am at BMO Field. He said we should be allowed in to watch. He sat out 7 players last night so that they would be ready for tomorrow. The team plays again on Monday night in Maple.

These guys are really worth watching. I've been to a few of the Academy U-18 games at Lamport but this was my first U-16 game. I'd have to say I think the U-16 could probably take the U-18. Their play is very organized and they are very fast going forward.

To my eyes the Man of the Match last night was #7 Jonathan Lao. He scored the first goal and was very strong in the midfield. He looked a bit like Guevara out there. The coach told me he's only 15 yrs old. Another kid who looked good was #16 Daniel Calabrett. He made a ton of runs up the right side and owned the defender there. He put crosses into the box and a few time carried the ball in as well.

Shakes McQueen
08-07-2008, 05:14 AM
Are there any players in particular on the U-16 and U-18 Academy lineups, that Toronto FC is looking to add to their roster anytime soon?

I'm not really knowledgeable about what up-and-coming prospects TFC has in their Academy.

- Scott