PDA

View Full Version : MLS Match Day 4 - DCU @ TFC Saturday March 19 3pm - Here We Go Again

OgtheDim
03-14-2022, 08:46 AM
Hanging on the promises in songs of yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llqS-eWMUtg

Have at It People

MikeForbes
03-15-2022, 10:20 AM
Gonna say 1-1 draw. Pozuelo scores from the spot for TFC.

Ultra & Proud
03-15-2022, 10:28 AM
Interesting to see how we come out. I don't think we are as bad as we looked vs NYRB. I think that was more about having a bunch of kids starting in a home opener with a full(ish) house. Hopefully we see the better, but still not perfect, amount of focus they showed on the road.

And start anyone but Bono. Even Ranjitsingh. Enough is enough already.

MightyDM
03-15-2022, 10:36 AM
Having Shaff and JMR at full back hurt us in the home opener as it was a new position for both - one maybe, but both was risky as we saw on goals 1-3

Agreed re Bono.

We looked really good for 50 minutes v Columbus. Now for 75…

jabbronies
03-15-2022, 11:04 AM
I'm going to say 3-1 win. I don't think we are at the point where we can chalk this result up to being contenders, I just think we are due for a result. The soccer gods will give this to us.

James17930
03-15-2022, 07:14 PM
I'm going to say 3-1 win. I don't think we are at the point where we can chalk this result up to being contenders, I just think we are due for a result. The soccer gods will give this to us.

Man I hope so. I can understand us losing on the road, but if we keep losing at home too people are going to stop coming and it's going to look and feel really bad.

TFC1986
03-15-2022, 08:35 PM
2-1 win if Westberg in net2-2 tie if Bono in net
Osorio scores one of the goals in the first half

barticusz
03-15-2022, 10:03 PM
Happy to see that JMR is in full training this week. Was concerned that he sustained a real bad injury.

Section 223
03-16-2022, 08:02 AM
Man I hope so. I can understand us losing on the road, but if we keep losing at home too people are going to stop coming and it's going to look and feel really bad.
I expect a significant drop in attendance Saturday over the home opener , true diehards will show but 90% of us just want Insigne here and will stay home next few weeks. Honestly got enough of players running around like chickens with no head last year.

Ultra & Proud
03-16-2022, 08:37 AM
Honestly got enough of players running around like chickens with no head last year.

Except that isn't what happened for 60% of the last match and if you watch the matches then you'd see the players are coming around and getting the system more and more week to week.

CorrwgBach
03-16-2022, 08:39 AM
I expect a significant drop in attendance Saturday over the home opener , true diehards will show but 90% of us just want Insigne here and will stay home next few weeks. Honestly got enough of players running around like chickens with no head last year.

The difference is night and day from last year, I can see there is a plan, it's not there yet, but can see what they are working towards. And the kids make mistakes.

As for headless chickens, I would have welcomed that level of intensity last year. It was dire.

Bobo
03-16-2022, 10:24 AM
Ecuador int'l striker Michael Estrada is out for family reasons.

https://twitter.com/SoccerInsider/status/1504107651101339650?t=M-behH1XsEOq2PDIudf-3Q&s=19

Now just need Kamara to catch a slight cold.

Joe Kool
03-16-2022, 10:41 AM

https://twitter.com/SoccerInsider/status/1504107651101339650?t=M-behH1XsEOq2PDIudf-3Q&s=19

You know the confidence is low when hoping for illness and injuries to hit opposing teams before they play us....LOL

jloome
03-16-2022, 10:57 AM

Not sure if it helps or hurts but Kamara has been on the trading block since the end of last season. They’re trying to move him before their Greek DP shows up in July.

Given the nineteen goals, not sure why. Ten of those were penalties so maybe they think they can do better, cheaper, given his age and salary. But he has two goals in the last two games, so if it’s affecting his mindset, it doesn’t seem to be in a negative way so far.

stevep
03-16-2022, 11:25 AM

I've done some quick calculations:
if tfc loses the next two games (both are at home) tfc would have to average 1.62ppg to make the last playoff spot. this is not likely to happen that they will average 1.62ppg the rest of the way through
if tfc loses the next two games (both are at home) and then tfc loses its next game at real salt lake (which is almost guarranteed) tfc would have to average 1.67 ppg to make the last playoff spot. 1.67 ppg the rest of the way through is extremley unlikely to happen
if tfc loses the next two games (both are at home) and then tfc loses its next game at real salt lake (which is almost guarranteed) and then loses at home to Philadelphia and away at NYC (both extremely likely events) tfc would have to average 1.81 ppg to make the last playoff spot. 1.81 ppg the rest of the way through is impossible to happen

there is a definite possibility that this season will be over for tfc by the 3rd week of April.
to say this is a must win game for tfc is an understatement

DavemTFC
03-16-2022, 01:43 PM
I hope they've learned they're lesson from last time we faced a pressing team but I'm not that confident. I'd frankly take a draw at this point, even with how brutal our April schedule is.

Bobo
03-16-2022, 02:33 PM
You know the confidence is low when hoping for illness and injuries to hit opposing teams before they play us....LOL

Pretty low. But I wouldn't wish injury on someone, I said "slight cold" for a reason!

MightyDM
03-16-2022, 02:35 PM

Coaching. Look at Man U with far better players losing to a well drilled and organized Athletico last night.

MightyDM
03-16-2022, 02:36 PM
Except that isn't what happened for 60% of the last match and if you watch the matches then you'd see the players are coming around and getting the system more and more week to week.

Agreed. They looked good for 50 minutes last game. Really good

Ultra & Proud
03-16-2022, 03:20 PM
Agreed. They looked good for 50 minutes last game. Really good
For me, there was a stretch of about 10-15 minutes where our passing and movement were probably better than anything I ever saw from us before, including the treble year and the occasional flurish during the Winter era.

jloome
03-16-2022, 08:03 PM
For me, there was a stretch of about 10-15 minutes where our passing and movement were probably better than anything I ever saw from us before, including the treble year and the occasional flurish during the Winter era.

At the peak of the treble year, we had one game where they pinged it around mercilessly like that. But only that one game. I thought it was the pinnacle of Vanney's possession-based game but we never matched it again.

It looked a lot like that.

MightyDM
03-16-2022, 10:08 PM

Yes, it was amazing. I’d really like to understand why from a tactical and personnel perspective, but haven’t been able to watch it again and would lobe to hear Kilbane explain it. Part of it was the four man midfield. OKello was fantastic in those moments.

Yuushalinsky
03-17-2022, 10:50 AM
I am absolutely OK with rebuilding years as long as the soccer is promising. That home opener wasn't promising, but last game was. Let's hope we can continue seeing promising soccer out of this team until Insigne shows.

I'm seeing a 2-2 draw.

OgtheDim
03-17-2022, 11:34 AM
Yes, it was amazing. I’d really like to understand why from a tactical and personnel perspective, but haven’t been able to watch it again and would lobe to hear Kilbane explain it. Part of it was the four man midfield. OKello was fantastic in those moments.

FWIW, TFC games are on DAZN 3 days after being on TSN.

JoesphNdo
03-17-2022, 11:56 AM
Coaching. Look at Man U with far better players losing to a well drilled and organized Athletico last night.

I really don't know that Man U has 'far better' players than the Spanish champions

Either way, Saturday should be a fun game to continue seeing what the youths can do. If the fair-weather fans drop off until we're winning I won't lose any sleep, I fancy our chances to do something decent on Saturday. I've far bigger worries about our FO than the team right now

Joe Kool
03-17-2022, 12:22 PM
Pretty low. But I wouldn't wish injury on someone, I said "slight cold" for a reason!

Haha. I hear ya. Stubbed toe works too for a slight injury :)

Blindside16
03-18-2022, 02:35 AM
Haha. I hear ya. Stubbed toe works too for a slight injury :)

Perhaps some slightly under cooked pork. Just enough to where 10 feet from a bathroom is considered gambling

OgtheDim
03-18-2022, 08:15 AM
All day rain tomorrow

Intrigued how the pitch will look

Ultra & Proud
03-18-2022, 10:05 AM
All day rain tomorrow

Intrigued how the pitch will look
Muddy cow pasture mixed with late spring post-recess schoolyard.

OgtheDim
03-18-2022, 02:32 PM
FWIW

The pre game presser with BB

https://www.torontofc.ca/video/latest/#training-sound-bob-bradley-march-17-2022

OgtheDim
03-19-2022, 06:40 AM
Hey, its a game day.... :scarf:

MikeForbes
03-19-2022, 06:41 AM
It is officially the day of the game. The buzz around this team seems to have become non-existent on social media. It would be nice to get some of that back with a tidy 2-0 win.

Gringo Starr
03-19-2022, 07:35 AM
We win when it rains

Bushmancan
03-19-2022, 08:00 AM
Interested to see how the pitch looks, there were some really bad patches on south east side of the field.

reggie
03-19-2022, 08:49 AM
It is officially the day of the game. The buzz around this team seems to have become non-existent on social media. It would be nice to get some of that back with a tidy 2-0 win.
no kidding...the clubs social media is brutal,its like they are hiding this club until julyi

ag futbol
03-19-2022, 08:55 AM
Yeah. I have to say Manning’s overall skill running of the club is not great. For an organization like MLSE, that has a lot of leading people on the marketing / fan entertainment side of the business (especially with the raptors), TFC has not kept the same standard.

MightyDM
03-19-2022, 11:20 AM
Yeah. I have to say Manning’s overall skill running of the club is not great. For an organization like MLSE, that has a lot of leading people on the marketing / fan entertainment side of the business (especially with the raptors), TFC has not kept the same standard.

It’s gone way downhill since the PR team was absorbed into the Leafs / Raptors group. Not a surprise, really.

But it’s game day! With the YUTES

I think we see Q

Westberg
McNaughton Salcedo Chung
JMR OKello Bradley Oso Achara
Poz Jesus Nelso

OgtheDim
03-19-2022, 12:01 PM
They are wearing the new kits today, apparently.

rydermike
03-19-2022, 12:13 PM
Going to my first game of the season. How long does it take to enter? They're still doing the vaccine passport right? Notice it says that on my ticket. I remember the Canada games took a long time. Just wondering how early to get there for

Auzzy
03-19-2022, 12:29 PM
Going to my first game of the season. How long does it take to enter? They're still doing the vaccine passport right? Notice it says that on my ticket. I remember the Canada games took a long time. Just wondering how early to get there for

No more vaccine passport since the start of the season.

Ticket demand seems low today. Getting into the last home game was quick despite relatively good attendance. However at the gate I went to, there seemed less staff than in the past. So basically: low attendance should mean quick entry, unless they really scrimp on gate staff if they know demand is low. I can't see it taking very long though. Gate 1 (and sometimes Gate 3) does get busy though due to many last-minute arrivals.

rydermike
03-19-2022, 12:41 PM
No more vaccine passport since the start of the season.

Ticket demand seems low today. Getting into the last home game was quick despite relatively good attendance. However at the gate I went to, there seemed less staff than in the past. So basically: low attendance should mean quick entry, unless they really scrimp on gate staff if they know demand is low. I can't see it taking very long though. Gate 1 (and sometimes Gate 3) does get busy though due to many last-minute arrivals.
Ok great, I wasn't sure. Thanks for the update.

jloome
03-19-2022, 01:53 PM
Looks like a 5-2-3

Bono
O'Neill, McNaughton, Salcedo
Chung Petrasso
Osorio Bradley
Pozuelo Nelson
Jimenez

Kiwi10
03-19-2022, 02:05 PM
We really need a lot more right sided players.

jloome
03-19-2022, 02:10 PM
We really need a lot more right sided players.

Yup. Jimenez said in the presser yesterday that he's comfortable playing there but prefers striker and prefers left side to right when wide.

Ayo played as a wide forward for much of his youth time but, like Jimenez, is obviously more comfortable as a no 9.

I do think it's Pozuelo's potentially best position as he ages, as he's cutting in constantly. It's not a "beat a guy to the touchline' game anymore unless you're an overlapping wingback, so...

But we're seriously thin there and at fullback.

Still not convinced Bono isn't accident-prone and a 'b' level keeper in this league.

MikeForbes
03-19-2022, 02:12 PM
Michael Bradley is starting every game this season. Book it.

OgtheDim
03-19-2022, 02:12 PM
Field playable - slightly better than 2 weeks ago.

Crowd will be less but that's expected.

Rain mostly stopped.

jloome
03-19-2022, 02:13 PM
Michael Bradley is starting every game this season. Book it.

I think he did well enough last week (he had seven tackles, leading both teams) that he deserves to start this week. Having said that, seeing him in a midfield two is a bit terrifying.

MikeForbes
03-19-2022, 02:17 PM
Alright. I'll be back at halftime to discuss what we've seen. Fingers crossed it is a positive talk.

MikeForbes
03-19-2022, 02:20 PM
I think he did well enough last week (he had seven tackles, leading both teams) that he deserves to start this week. Having said that, seeing him in a midfield two is a bit terrifying.

At this point he is probably best suited at CB. His legs are too far gone to shield the backline anymore.

jloome
03-19-2022, 02:23 PM
Not moving enough of the dual-color shirts?

Can only remember a couple of other occasions when we weren't red at home.

jloome
03-19-2022, 02:25 PM
Goddamn, I hate how Toronto crowds never show up on time. I've only been to three games because I live in Edmonton, but in each case we were a good 15-20 min from the stadium and still managed to be in our seats, with food, at kickoff.

McNaughton saving our blushes there with the positioning.

portu
03-19-2022, 02:26 PM
Not moving enough of the dual-color shirts?

Can only remember a couple of other occasions when we weren't red at home.

They should be moving they look pretty cool actually

jloome
03-19-2022, 02:27 PM
They should be moving they look pretty cool actually

Yeah, I think so too. But when they were announced they were heavily condemned online. Once you see people wearing them they're pretty sharp.

Yuushalinsky
03-19-2022, 02:31 PM
much better early

portu
03-19-2022, 02:32 PM
That was good from Nelson. Excellent decision where choice wasn’t obvious. Forcing it across goal would have been useless.

jloome
03-19-2022, 02:33 PM
Nelson sure is skilled but sure is raw. Not great decision making.

Yuushalinsky
03-19-2022, 02:35 PM
Nelson sure is skilled but sure is raw. Not great decision making.

One minute, he's forcing a save, the other, he's giving up the ball in the defending third...

jloome
03-19-2022, 02:36 PM
Blown coverage. Nelson let the man run in, Petrasso didn't leave the back post runner.

Kids, kids, kids.

Soccerpro
lol @ Nelson just ignoring his man in his own box.

At least Bono saved the breakaway 20 seconds into the match.

Oldtimer
Terrible defending.

Soccerpro
03-19-2022, 02:38 PM
At this rate it's not going to matter who joins the team in the summer, it's going to be too late.

jloome
03-19-2022, 02:39 PM
That was good from Nelson. Excellent decision where choice wasn’t obvious. Forcing it across goal would have been useless.

But he made a poor decision to be in that spot by checking his run. He should've stayed at speed and cut inside, would've given him the far post with only one man marking him.

He's very 50/50 on whether he takes the right option.

OgtheDim
Calcedo in no man's land for that goal. Could see the 3 on 2 before the cross came in.

portu
I’m hesitant to hold one of our forwards accountable for blowing coverage that should be had by the midfield and a defensive line that looks a shambles.

Soccerpro
03-19-2022, 02:40 PM
Chung with a really nice cross after taking his man on.

portu
03-19-2022, 02:41 PM
But he made a poor decision to be in that spot by checking his run. He should've stayed at speed and cut inside, would've given him the far post with only one man marking him.

He's very 50/50 on whether he takes the right option.

Slowing down was correct, gave time for him to see if JJ’s run would develop for the cross.

Soccerpro
Surprised no one on this forum has blamed Bono for everything today.

Soccerpro
Slowing down was correct, gave time for him to see if JJ’s run would develop for the cross.

Disagree, he should have cut in with speed.

jloome
03-19-2022, 02:42 PM
I don't think the defense is playing a straight zone on set pieces, they're man marking. So it's a bit on both; the defence should've stepped up way quicker to stop the initial cross, and Nelson shouldn't have let his man go.

jloome
03-19-2022, 02:44 PM
Disagree, he should have cut in with speed.

Yeah, you never check a run that deep to wait for trailers unless you already have men in the box. He's a skill player with speed being marked by a single guy, so definitely should've gone straight to goal.

portu
03-19-2022, 02:45 PM
I’m convinced on Nelson being worthy of a spot on the bench. Once Insigne comes, you still need another starting winger though.

portu
03-19-2022, 02:47 PM
Midfield has no real shape right now. Bradley in no man’s land, Oso roaming free. It’s like they’re playing dollar store total football.

jloome
03-19-2022, 02:47 PM
I’m convinced on Nelson being worthy of a spot on the bench. Once Insigne comes, you still need another starting winger though.

Hopefully they use that international spot and all that TAM and get us someone experienced who's going to add some terror to defenders.

I don't think Nelson's far off being that guy, maybe two or three seasons away, by which time he'll have a strong sample of boneheaded choices to learn not to repeat.

jloome
03-19-2022, 02:48 PM
Back in it!

DC has as many shortcomings as we do. Great corner.

MB with the beauty flick

tfcfans
03-19-2022, 02:49 PM
Petrasso!

Yuushalinsky
03-19-2022, 02:49 PM
WHAT a buildup - somehow the CPL additions have been incredible

jloome
03-19-2022, 02:53 PM
WHAT a buildup - somehow the CPL additions have been incredible

It just demonstrates how much better that league could be with even a minimal proper budget for player salaries.

They've graduated... what, four players to MLS in four years? THat's pretty pitiful for supposedly being one level down.

But the skill potential is obviously there. Put a few experienced better players on each team and imagine the benefits. Did anyone see Chung ever play this well, anywhere?

Nope. But put him around more experienced players at a higher level and he steps up.

Soccerpro
03-19-2022, 02:53 PM
Hopefully they use that international spot and all that TAM and get us someone experienced who's going to add some terror to defenders.

I don't think Nelson's far off being that guy, maybe two or three seasons away, by which time he'll have a strong sample of boneheaded choices to learn not to repeat.

Petrasso seems to really have benefited from his seasons in USL. Nelson could use more seasoning before he's ready.

ag futbol
03-19-2022, 02:55 PM
I know everyone is going to be on macnaughton for that goal and rightfully so leaving so much space but there were all sorts of oddities there.

Asking a CB to pull that wide is a recipe for disaster to begin with. One of Chung or Bradley should be over helping. Felt Bono’s anticipation was weak and someone blew their mark in the box also.

Soccerpro
It just demonstrates how much better that league could be with even a minimal proper budget for player salaries.

They've graduated... what, four players to MLS in four years? THat's pretty pitiful for supposedly being one level down.

But the skill potential is obviously there. Put a few experienced better players on each team and imagine the benefits. Did anyone see Chung ever play this well, anywhere?

Nope. But put him around more experienced players at a higher level and he steps up.

I watch a lot of CPL. I thought Chung could play well at this level. There were an awful lot of TFC fans who were judging him prematurely solely on the league he was coming from. I'm glad he's done well so far.

jloome
Was that interference? It looked to me like Nelson had position.

Soccerpro
03-19-2022, 03:00 PM
Jayden Nelson is so frustrating.

JoesphNdo
03-19-2022, 03:00 PM
My main gripe with Bradley tactically is our midfield positioning, we're all over the place there. Why is one of the best offensive weapons in the league, pozuelo, dropping so deep? Why is Bradley pushing so high with no track record of offensive output? And what position is osario even playing? We're all over the place in mid field at times and other teams are picking us apart in there

jloome
03-19-2022, 03:01 PM
I watch a lot of CPL. I thought Chung could play well at this level. There were an awful lot of TFC fans who were judging him prematurely solely on the league he was coming from. I'm glad he's done well so far.

It's very hard to judge when the play is so much slower, which the CPL is.

I wouldv'e thought Abzi at York would've made it before him, and Pasquotti, although it appears the latter's career is done from the ACL tear.

tfcfans
03-19-2022, 03:03 PM
This half of the season is basically seeing what parts we have for the future - play the kids and painfully learn who might be something decent. Maybe some CPL guys and Rutty and Nelson will be part of the near future with starters like Oso and Salcedo and Poz and O’Neill and Jesus and the Italian(s). Find a goalie, make #4 a 30-45 minute player (and I love the guy, but it’s time), start easing Priso into things more for #4 - then a bench of Okello, Achara, Ayo (need to see what we have still I think?!) and Shaff could start when healthy too.....almost the makings of a team....but it might be painful to watch until the summer, or even this whole year while we figure things out.....

....still prefer this to watching a team of old guys with no thought to the future — we needed to turn over the squad 2-3 years ago....when in doubt, I will just keep betting the “total goals Over” for most of our games this year...LOL....

jloome
03-19-2022, 03:03 PM
Why is Bradley pushing so high with no track record of offensive output?

Well, recently anyway... He scored 17 goals in his second year in the Eredivisie, playing in the hole.

He's never come close to repeating that.

I think they're pushing him up and Osorio back a little, which kind of makes sense, as Bradley is a dangerous passer and Osorio still has wheels. Notionally, with three at the back, we don't need a wrecker as well.

JoesphNdo
03-19-2022, 03:07 PM
Well, recently anyway... He scored 17 goals in his second year in the Eredivisie, playing in the hole.

He's never come close to repeating that.

I think they're pushing him up and Osorio back a little, which kind of makes sense, as Bradley is a dangerous passer and Osorio still has wheels. Notionally, with three at the back, we don't need a wrecker as well.

Fair, should have said for TFC!

And I don't see it. For me Bradley is not a good offensive passer at all, quite the opposite, and it's like we're throwing players all out of position. Osario isn't a defensive asset, Bradley isn't an offensive asset and pozuelo should be as high up the pitch as we can get away with. We're accentuating all the weaknesses of all 3 and as a result losing all mid field cohesion. We somehow both lack a good defensive mid fielder covering the defence AND lack good numbers from mid field in the final third

jloome
03-19-2022, 03:09 PM
Caldwell has zero humility. Slo-mo replay shows a clear dive, but "Clumsy challenge by Pozuelo..."

jloome
03-19-2022, 03:12 PM
Chung has Brad Smith's number. He's so physical Chung can just shield it and get a call every time.

OgtheDim
03-19-2022, 03:13 PM
In the stadium, this game feels like it is 1 Jayden Nelson play from a goal - not sure which side for though.

jloome
03-19-2022, 03:14 PM
Not bad, not great. Some boneheaded plays. DC doesn't have much outside of Gressel.

jloome
03-19-2022, 03:14 PM
In the stadium, this game feels like it is 1 Jayden Nelson play from a goal - not sure which side for though.

LOL, perfect assessment.

MikeForbes
03-19-2022, 03:18 PM
Not too bad. They are definitely better suited to a 3 at the back formation right now. Thought Chung was quite good. Petrasso continues to impress. Nelson is incredibly frustrating.

ag futbol
03-19-2022, 03:23 PM
Petrasso looks great and is probably the best progressive passer we have in any wide spot at the moment (not that there was much competition).

Things are starting to solidity a bit. 3 Points today would be nice

jloome
03-19-2022, 03:26 PM
Petrasso looks great and is probably the best progressive passer we have in any wide spot at the moment (not that there was much competition).

Things are starting to solidity a bit. 3 Points today would be nice

Remember how good his brother looked at 17? Went overseas too young. I saw him play once for (IIRC) QPR and he looked pretty good. Surprised he didn't make it. Saw him play over the last two years in CPL and he looked a shadow of the player he was when he left us.

EDIT: Had 8 goals in the National league for Barnet last year, though, so again maybe it's bias from the overall game quality affecting my perception.

National League is pretty damn good, as anyone who watched this year's FA cup must have seen. Pushing top clubs regularly in cup contests.

JoeBackyard
03-19-2022, 03:28 PM

These "pros" are just lurking to spew out that Chung can't play in this league. Its a weekly ritual.

jloome
03-19-2022, 03:31 PM
These "pros" are just lurking to spew out that Chung can't play in this league. Its a weekly ritual.

I think there's maybe one or two guys who keep insisting he's not even a bench player. I think he's surprised a lot of us, but since game one of the actual season he's looked pretty good and most people don't seem to be ragging on him.

Worse on the non-soccer social media, though, I imagine.

ag futbol
03-19-2022, 03:33 PM
Remember how good his brother looked at 17?

I was thinking about Dylan Carreiro and Keven Alemán. Those guys absolutely balled out at the u17 level. But the right opportunities just weren’t there in that generation. Unless you were physically capable of playing with men from a young age your development sort of got lost at sea

jloome
03-19-2022, 03:36 PM
SPEC TAC U LAR

OSO with a killer.

ag futbol
03-19-2022, 03:36 PM
Yes sir! Squeezed it in!!

MikeForbes
03-19-2022, 03:37 PM
Used every inch of that net. Great finish.

Yuushalinsky
03-19-2022, 03:37 PM
Petrasso ROTY.

tfcfans
03-19-2022, 03:38 PM
Petrasso to Osorio ! Wooo !

portu
03-19-2022, 03:39 PM
Pay Petrasso

MikeForbes
03-19-2022, 03:40 PM
Pretty funny that after all the JMR, Nelson, Priso hype that Luca Petrasso has looked the best of any of them.

jloome
03-19-2022, 03:41 PM
Lawd, MLS refs are worrisome. I dunno, maybe Bradley was technically coming from behind there, but that looked like a legal shoulder barge to me. Right in front of the ref, too.

jloome
03-19-2022, 03:42 PM
Petrasso ROTY.

Keeps playing like this he'll be in the running.

ag futbol
03-19-2022, 03:43 PM
Nelson has to have more confidence to pass there. I don’t think he purposely ignored his teammates but he seems unsure he can deliver that ball

MikeForbes
03-19-2022, 03:43 PM
Pozuelo might murder Nelson.

jloome
03-19-2022, 03:46 PM
Pozuelo might murder Nelson.

I don't think he's up to speed yet for where the player is going to be. He's not willing to put a ball into space, he's always looking for feet. But Pozuelo and Jimenez are both top experienced pros. Needs to have some faith.

MikeForbes
03-19-2022, 03:47 PM
Yow must be a social media guys dream. Lots of word play there.

Oldtimer
Used every inch of that net. Great finish.

That finish was fantastic.

jloome
Ah geez....

Injury shape change could spell trouble.

MikeForbes
03-19-2022, 03:48 PM
Let's see how JMR looks.

ag futbol
03-19-2022, 03:48 PM
Good game from Chung, should be applauded.

MikeForbes
03-19-2022, 03:49 PM
Nelson looks really sad as he comes off. Someone give the lad a pep talk.

Yuushalinsky
03-19-2022, 03:50 PM
Ah geez....

Injury shape change could spell trouble.

theoretically, should be Chung out for JMR which shouldn't change shape too much. Maybe a bit positive tbh when we're leading.

ag futbol
03-19-2022, 03:52 PM
We need Okello on to solidify the mid. Not enough ground being covered

jloome
03-19-2022, 03:54 PM
Looks like our challenge line is a bit deeper.

MikeForbes
03-19-2022, 03:55 PM
Dropping way too deep now.

MikeForbes
03-19-2022, 03:57 PM
Let's see how Bradley operates here. This is where Vanney would bring in another CB.

jloome
03-19-2022, 03:58 PM
JMR had a straight one-time through ball opportunity to Achara on the diagonal, didn't see.

ag futbol
03-19-2022, 04:02 PM
Free kick because some 90 pound kid falls over. Give me a break. Since when is anyone else given that liberty?

jloome
03-19-2022, 04:03 PM
This is the slowest viking clap buildup Ive ever heard.

jloome
03-19-2022, 04:05 PM
This ref is fucking abysmal. Is this u-12 football?

MikeForbes
03-19-2022, 04:06 PM
Love Petrasso just staying on his feet and out muscling the kid.

jloome
03-19-2022, 04:11 PM
Hey... do you think any of those posters who only show up when it's bad times are going to come on the board this week and admit their projections of a 5-0 loss and no wins until July are just insane bullshit?

MikeForbes
03-19-2022, 04:11 PM
Props to BB for adjusting and going away from the 4-3-3 to a formation that fits his squad much better.

MikeForbes
03-19-2022, 04:12 PM
Hey... do you think any of those posters who only show up when it's bad times are going to come on the board this week and admit their projections of a 5-0 loss and no wins until July are just insane bullshit?

If this free kick goes in they already got their posts ready.

jloome
03-19-2022, 04:13 PM
U oh, overload on the left side they haven't spotted.....

EDIT: Phew.

Yuushalinsky
03-19-2022, 04:13 PM
This TFC is at least assertive in defense and thinking the right things forward. Excited to see what 2 weeks of INT'L break looks like

gracos
03-19-2022, 04:14 PM
what is it that TFC always seems to play well in the rain, lol, great job boys so far today, i am seeing growth

ag futbol
How many free fouls does Brad Smith get per game? Get out the yellow already

SirBobSaget
JMR is looking really good since coming on. Looking more and more like a proper fullback.

jloome
SIX MINUTES? That's insane! We've had one injury stop, for Chung, and he was right off!

Insane. Absolute bullshit.

MikeForbes
03-19-2022, 04:15 PM
JMR is looking really good since coming on. Looking more and more like a proper fullback.

Him playing a little higher is ideal, I think. He isn't ready to be a RB in a back 4 yet.

ag futbol
03-19-2022, 04:15 PM
Wtf? Where did al this injury time come from??

wopchop
03-19-2022, 04:16 PM
TFC looking good. Really impressed with Petrasso, Chung, and MacNaughton. Nelson needs to step up more IMO.

Ref sucks.

6 min of extra time????? We have had less with 5 minute VAR debacles.

tfcfans
03-19-2022, 04:20 PM
Wooo - start the car !!!

MikeForbes
03-19-2022, 04:21 PM
Wooo - start the car !!!

No car needed. The boys deserved that win.

Yuushalinsky
03-19-2022, 04:21 PM
Wooo - start the car !!!

We definitely deserve this game though

ag futbol
03-19-2022, 04:22 PM
Nice job. Full value for the points on this one.

Petrasso man of the match imo

gracos
so this is what winning feels like, love the feeling, hopefully more to come

jloome
Great win. Coming back from one down but after that they never really threatened us. A couple of excellent goals, the kids played well, Chung was a stud, McNaughton was huge, Bradley stayed on pace all game and was useful constantly. Petrasso on ... four?... assists already this season.

Oldtimer
03-19-2022, 04:25 PM
I don't know who else noticed it, but Michael Bradley had an excellent game.

Yuushalinsky
03-19-2022, 04:26 PM
Couple errant services and I'm still not impressed with the way he just YEETS balls into open space for the opposition, but he was good.

bhandsome90
03-19-2022, 04:28 PM
Petrasso MOTM.

Nelson was really bad this. Thought the team looked better once he subbed out. Needs more time to develop.

MikeForbes
03-19-2022, 04:28 PM

I am definitely critical of him, but he was steady all game long.

jloome
03-19-2022, 04:34 PM
Petrasso MOTM.

Nelson was really bad this. Thought the team looked better once he subbed out. Needs more time to develop.

I think really bad is tough on the kid. He created a lot by making space and fooling his defender. His final decision making was consistently off, but most of those were situations he created, so....

I get what you're saying though. That's why he was pulled at 64 mins.

barticusz
03-19-2022, 04:36 PM
Well deserved win today. A good continuation from last weeks game with far less mental errors.

As frustrated as I have been with Nelson, I think he’s going to figure this out. He needs to use his teammates and to see who’s got the better chance to score. Once this occurs, we’ll take another leap forward as it will give us those transition goals we need.

JoeBackyard
03-19-2022, 04:36 PM
TFC looking good. Really impressed with Petrasso, Chung, and MacNaughton. Nelson needs to step up more IMO.

Trio stepping up to the Big League. Nelson trying to be hero at all times. He needs a reset before getting all this playing time. Pozuelo was going to kill him. JMR looked more confident ... he's going to a good one. Nice WIN !

Yuushalinsky
03-19-2022, 04:39 PM
CPL, got any more of these boys for us?

parma
03-19-2022, 04:41 PM

Stated perfectly

PawTar711
03-19-2022, 04:44 PM
Just watched the game from my place within the GTA, I think the boys are doing good and even though theyve had a faulty start to the beginning of thte season i would say that for the most part the ball is ours and that they arent looking to lose it but play it sort of wide, you would assume that we had 2 goals in stead of the one that let in from them, which held up to prove that because we dont lose the ball that much its almost like its good to have but you wouldn't mind if you shot more.

sincerely, pawtar711

ManUtd4ever
03-19-2022, 04:52 PM
After the DC goal, I thought that was our best overall defensive effort of the season.

The new formation is much better suited to our current roster. Kudos to Bradley Sr. for making the right tactical adjustments.

OgtheDim
03-19-2022, 04:57 PM
Random thoughts

BB had to calm Poz down from killing Nelson.

Salcedo is a defensive boss / leader.

Bradley is almost as bad as Bono for passing the ball to nowhere near one of our players.

Oso is just sooooo good.

Achara is never going to score again, it seems.

McNaughton & Chung are MLS class.

jloome
03-19-2022, 05:03 PM
Just watched the game from my place within the GTA, I think the boys are doing good and even though theyve had a faulty start to the beginning of thte season i would say that for the most part the ball is ours and that they arent looking to lose it but play it sort of wide, you would assume that we had 2 goals in stead of the one that let in from them, which held up to prove that because we dont lose the ball that much its almost like its good to have but you wouldn't mind if you shot more.

sincerely, pawtar711

Yep, could use taking a few more chances. But the defensive tradeoff so far has been worth it after last year's shitshow of a season!

MightyDM
03-19-2022, 05:18 PM
At the game. Loved it. Agree that we were good after their goal. Bradley had an excellent game. Looks like he has reversed his decline. Really pleased for Chung McNaughton and Petrasso.

I disagree a bit re Nelson. He was night and day better than last season - but still doesn’t know how to link up with teammates. Hopefully that comes.

Achara never stopped running, and JMR looked very serious and focused when he came in.

Referee was TERRIBLE.

Edit- Salcedo class

ONeill and Oso were greeting pretty heated a couple of times in the first half.

Bono could have stopped that goal if he had started a large step to his left. Where he should have been.

MikeForbes
03-19-2022, 05:25 PM
Having Insigne taking all these chances on the LW instead of Nelson is gonna be so huge. Not that we should be giving up on Jayden, but there is mucho work be done there.

DavemTFC
03-19-2022, 05:40 PM
Other than Nelson I thought everyone was very good today.

Oso absolutely bossed the midfield today. MOTM even without the goal. MB a pretty close second.

Still much to improve but full value for the three points. Been a while since I've enjoyed watching a TFC game that much

jloome
03-19-2022, 06:08 PM
Other than Nelson I thought everyone was very good today.

Oso absolutely bossed the midfield today. MOTM even without the goal. MB a pretty close second.

Still much to improve but full value for the three points. Been a while since I've enjoyed watching a TFC game that much

I think Bob Bradley may be our first ever manager to adjust to the players he has, rather than trying to force a system. We don't have a DM, it was clear after two games that we needed more strength at the back, so he went to a 532. Good management.

Bushmancan
03-19-2022, 06:09 PM
Just got home, traffic atrocious. Miss the train.

Salcedo MOTM for me, really worked hard, chased every play right to the end, commanded the line and was communicating to everyone. solid with his left and right foot.

Pitch still looked rough… move the Argos somewhere else.

DC aren’t a good team, but will take the win, the confidence and looking forward to surprising NYFC in two weeks.

wopchop
03-19-2022, 06:16 PM
Pitch still looked rough… move the Argos somewhere else.
Argonauts have not played since December.

This one seems to be fault of MLSE. Probably cuts to the groundskeeping crew/budget.

Yuushalinsky
03-19-2022, 06:21 PM
There was actually an article on this. Not allowed to use too much fungicide or he probably could have saved the pitch

rydermike
03-19-2022, 06:26 PM
Was at the game, so something I don't think you would've seen on tv with Chung in the game, was somewhere around the five minute mark Salcedo was ripping into him for not overlapping on a play (Salcedo was on the right wing after a corner, wanted Chung to run an overlap behind him, instead Chung stayed around the midfield line probably because Salcedo was up), kept yelling at him for like 2 minutes after that about that play telling him he has to overlap. After that, Chung started overlapping every opportunity creating good runs and plays. Salcedo seems like a great add, committed to bettering everyone instead of just worried about himself, like I felt with Soteldo.

Gringo Starr
03-19-2022, 06:32 PM
Salcedo and MacNaughton look to be communicating really well. Liked that Bono was making good use of Salcedo to move the ball forward, he even had a few good throws. I was impressed with the few minutes from Kosi.

Does anyone know what happened in 114 at the end? Eli had the south going and then it looked like they were getting kicked out

Areathrasher
03-19-2022, 06:32 PM
Gotta say, I'm loving Petrasso and his wand of a left peg

Bushmancan
03-19-2022, 06:43 PM

Agree 100%. I would like to see him a little more ruthless on shutting down the cross but in the grand scheme of the things. The left side is looking really solid. Would be so nice to get Mavinga back to form.

OgtheDim
03-19-2022, 06:49 PM
Watched the pressers afterwards - worth a listen.

Both Poz & Bob indicated the team can't play the way it wants at home until the field gets better.

Played a back 3 against DCU because of the need to get at their back 3 with WB's.

Get the feeling Bob is OK with this but knows the team will be better.

BIG pressure to get the win today.

Bob says he is adjusting to Poz as he watches him - I don't think I've ever heard that from an MLS coach.

AdamAM
03-19-2022, 07:28 PM
Was at the game, so something I don't think you would've seen on tv with Chung in the game, was somewhere around the five minute mark Salcedo was ripping into him for not overlapping on a play (Salcedo was on the right wing after a corner, wanted Chung to run an overlap behind him, instead Chung stayed around the midfield line probably because Salcedo was up), kept yelling at him for like 2 minutes after that about that play telling him he has to overlap. After that, Chung started overlapping every opportunity creating good runs and plays. Salcedo seems like a great add, committed to bettering everyone instead of just worried about himself, like I felt with Soteldo.

Thanks for the intel. I get the same feeling from Salcedo; seems like a really solid guy.

As for the game, Oso, Petrasso, McNaughton were the MOTM for me. Canadians have been killing it so far for us! I've been thoroughly impressed by McNaughton so far in particular; dare I say the #2 CB on the team? How did this guy take so long to make it to the big leagues? He's hardly set a foot wrong so far

benito
03-19-2022, 07:41 PM

He made a very good run at the end of game too.

jloome
03-19-2022, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the intel. I get the same feeling from Salcedo; seems like a really solid guy.

As for the game, Oso, Petrasso, McNaughton were the MOTM for me. Canadians have been killing it so far for us! I've been thoroughly impressed by McNaughton so far in particular; dare I say the #2 CB on the team? How did this guy take so long to make it to the big leagues? He's hardly set a foot wrong so far

Yeah, badly overlooked. Pa Modou Kah, who was a very good professional and his coach at Pacific, figured he could play at a high level.

He's an intelligent player. There was a moment in the first half when Osorio pushed wide to be an outlet for him, and he immediately frantically gestured to Pozuelo, directing him to drop in behind Osorio so that there was decent space between the lines. Very smart.

His only two shortcomings so far are his occasional soft passes (but only occasional, like once a game) and being a little late when he's pushed wide to go in on the tackle. But even those are few and far between. A steal of a player.

rydermike
03-19-2022, 08:27 PM
One thing that really helped today was using Chung and Petrasso as the wingbacks aka two actual players who have played wing back before. Playing three at the back also helped, but I felt those two never really got caught out of position like JMR and Shaff would on a regular basis

glaze
03-19-2022, 09:15 PM
Yeah field isnt an Argos issue. But if this keeps up, after the World Cup in 26, i wouldnt be suprised if they switch to turf. MLSE would much prefer an artificial surface, cheaper to maintain, and allows them to use the facility more.

Auzzy
03-19-2022, 09:33 PM
Caldwell has zero humility. Slo-mo replay shows a clear dive, but "Clumsy challenge by Pozuelo..."

One of the best aspects of watching the game in the stadium: not having to listen to Caldwell.

A bit more noticeable when watching the game from high in the stands: Nelson truly is frustrating. Not just on his two SOG from a tight angle when other options were available, plus slowing down so much on the first chance which allowed DC to get back in position. Also other times when a quick pass was available (probably hard to see on TV) but Nelson almost always chooses to hold the ball, slow it down, and attempt a risky dribble.

It's good Jayden is being given some time to learn. He has obvious skill, but he better get with it soon. Too many times he plays as if he's still the best player on his rep team. Not just with the missed passing opportunities; also other times where he hot dogs it and tries something fancy which rarely works. MLS players are big and will just strip you of the ball if you goof around with it, and the officials will allow a fair bit of contact.

That being said the ref sucked today. Too many 50-50 or less calls going against TFC. Or the identical situations being called differently for the two teams

Auzzy
03-19-2022, 09:38 PM
Yeah field isnt an Argos issue. But if this keeps up, after the World Cup in 26, i wouldnt be suprised if they switch to turf. MLSE would much prefer an artificial surface, cheaper to maintain, and allows them to use the facility more.

I think there's zero chance of TFC switching to artificial turf. Not with the (often aging) internationals they want to sign.

OgtheDim
03-19-2022, 10:04 PM
Golf courses can use a fungicide to get themselves a longer growing period before this time of the year - BMO field can't. That's been the story for 5 years now.
IF we get a decent February thaw, that helps with the growing. But, its been a cold Jan & Feb. (see mountains of snow still around even today).

MightyDM
03-19-2022, 10:09 PM
Argonauts have not played since December.

This one seems to be fault of MLSE. Probably cuts to the groundskeeping crew/budget.

Sorry but grass recovery season does not start on December. Also, less so today, but you could still see the sidelines of the Argo field, and last game the yard markers as well. Certainly a factor.

DavemTFC
03-19-2022, 10:12 PM
ONeill and Oso were greeting pretty heated a couple of times in the first half.
Am I overreacting or is this kind of a concern? That's the second time in four games this has happened

MightyDM
03-19-2022, 10:12 PM
There was actually an article on this. Not allowed to use too much fungicide or he probably could have saved the pitch

Yes, there was that article. I wasn’t fully convinced, sounded like an excuse. Seems to me the greenskeeper has to share some of the blame. (And the Argos)

MightyDM
03-19-2022, 10:17 PM

That’s always been the risk with the Argos. And it’ll be the end of TFC getting serious players.

MightyDM
03-19-2022, 10:19 PM
Am I overreacting or is this kind of a concern? That's the second time in four games this has happened

I dunno. Interesting. But both seemed happy after.

By the way, totally agree with your earlier post. Most fun I have had at a game in a long time. If only Joes was open it would have been perfect.

SoccMan2
03-20-2022, 12:09 AM
Is it just me or is there something wrong with the stadium speakers at BMO? I can’t make out a word the PA guy is saying, the sound is muzzled. What the hell is going on with this stadium this year ? We have a terrible pitch and a sound system that sounds like crap .

Auzzy
03-20-2022, 05:59 AM
Maybe we should revive the BMO Field pitch thread...

Interesting from the postgame interviews, that they said the pitch was affecting the way they can play. It was very different from the previous game, where we saw tiki-taka for about two thirds of the match. None of that last night. To me it seemed partly the field and partly the personnel, with two players in particular who hold the ball and slow things down more often.

This winter was definitely worse than average for the field, plus the early start to the season makes it even harder. Should have played at least the first three games away. I just hope the groundskeeper is the best we can get, and that he has all the staff and budget he needs. (The last two years must have been bad for both staffing and budget.) I know he's won awards, but it's a small industry. You can't ask him about anything on Twitter because he'll immediately block you. That kind of thin-skinnedness actually worries me a bit.

The field was already in bad shape last year, despite it getting a longer break than normal from both Argos and TFC games, and despite it being good grass-growing weather at the time. That's why I wonder if there are other reasons in addition to bad weather and early start.

Yes I read the recent Neil Davidson article. One thing unanswered from there, and no journalist asks: why didn't they train under the bubble at Downsview this year? That would have given the pitch at BMO Field more time to recover; and the grounds crew more time before they have to cut the grass and get it ready for play. If the artificial pitch at the training ground is aging, why wasn't it replaced? And are there no grows lights that will work when the wind is above 34 km/h? That's very low for being near the lake, especially if they're trying to wake the grass up early in the year when winds are strong.

Note that in the past they weren't allowed to use any fungicide at BMO Field, so it's an improvement that they can now use some.

khso11
03-20-2022, 07:18 AM
Petrasso, Chung, and MacNaughton was solid. A few more games playing consistently like this, and they’ll lock their spots in the starting 11.

Imagine Petrasso playing at his natural LW position, his passing, pace, skills, and soccer IQ is outstanding amongst the academy grads. Exciting player with so much potential.

MightyDM
03-20-2022, 07:19 AM
Maybe we should revive the BMO Field pitch thread...

Interesting from the postgame interviews, that they said the pitch was affecting the way they can play. It was very different from the previous game, where we saw tiki-taka for about two thirds of the match. None of that last night. To me it seemed partly the field and partly the personnel, with two players in particular who hold the ball and slow things down more often.

This winter was definitely worse than average for the field, plus the early start to the season makes it even harder. Should have played at least the first three games away. I just hope the groundskeeper is the best we can get, and that he has all the staff and budget he needs. (The last two years must have been bad for both staffing and budget.) I know he's won awards, but it's a small industry. You can't ask him about anything on Twitter because he'll immediately block you. That kind of thin-skinnedness actually worries me a bit.

The field was already in bad shape last year, despite it getting a longer break than normal from both Argos and TFC games, and despite it being good grass-growing weather at the time. That's why I wonder if there are other reasons in addition to bad weather and early start.

Yes I read the recent Neil Davidson article. One thing unanswered from there, and no journalist asks: why didn't they train under the bubble at Downsview this year? That would have given the pitch at BMO Field more time to recover; and the grounds crew more time before they have to cut the grass and get it ready for play. If the artificial pitch at the training ground is aging, why wasn't it replaced? And are there no grows lights that will work when the wind is above 34 km/h? That's very low for being near the lake, especially if they're trying to wake the grass up early in the year when winds are strong.

Note that in the past they weren't allowed to use any fungicide at BMO Field, so it's an improvement that they can now use some.

I’m with you Auzzy: “we can’t use fungicide” sounds like an excuse. They knew that before the winter, and the winter wasn’t that unusual. There is an Argos game in December. First question is, what steps did you take to recover the field from that game? (Didn’t look like any). How did you manage it during the winter? What lessons did you learn?

The comparison to golf courses is a diversion. They have direct results depending on how
Good and how smart and thorough their groundskeeper is during the winter. About ten years ago a prominent Toronto golf club fired its groundskeeper because the greens were poor after the winter. It was a tough winter, but some other clubs did better. TFC should have the best pitch in the league and questions need to be asked.

Yuushalinsky
03-20-2022, 08:04 AM
Starting to get tired of the armchair groundskeepers - either do your actual research or post about soccer.

JoeBackyard
03-20-2022, 08:19 AM
Yes, there was that article. I wasn’t fully convinced, sounded like an excuse. Seems to me the greenskeeper has to share some of the blame. (And the Argos)

I’m with you Auzzy: “we can’t use fungicide” sounds like an excuse. They knew that before the winter, and the winter wasn’t that unusual. There is an Argos game in December. First question is, what steps did you take to recover the field from that game? (Didn’t look like any). How did you manage it during the winter? What lessons did you learn?

The comparison to golf courses is a diversion. They have direct results depending on how
Good and how smart and thorough their groundskeeper is during the winter. About ten years ago a prominent Toronto golf club fired its groundskeeper because the greens were poor after the winter. It was a tough winter, but some other clubs did better. TFC should have the best pitch in the league and questions need to be asked.
In the golfing community, members rave about how great their greenskeeper is ... I remind them that even I can grow grass in between sidewalks. BMO field groundskeeper should be ashamed of himself.

MightyDM
03-20-2022, 08:21 AM
Starting to get tired of the armchair groundskeepers - either do your actual research or post about soccer.

It’s an issue raised by the players and the coach in the post game interviews. Fair game for commentary, and it’s not really a requirement on these Boards to be an expert. But here is some research re golf greens https://www.golfcanada.ca/articles/harsh-hand-winter/. Basic conclusion is constantly monitoring conditions and planting the right kind of grass

MightyDM
03-20-2022, 08:24 AM
Also, very much liking how BB is using youth and veterans. For example, Nelson? although still frustrating at times, is light years ahead of where he was last year. Running around without purpose or effect.

If this is the model going forward I am all in. Experienced spine (Salcedo Bradley Oso Poz Jesus) surrounded by youth. And not the same youth every game. Keep them on their toes.

Need to up our goalkeeping game though.

OgtheDim
03-20-2022, 08:25 AM
How about a bit of armchair supposition as to the decision making about practicing on BMO & under the bubble

I seem to remember before the NYRB game, they said the bubble pitch is so bad they preferred BMO. Words to the affect that the bubble pitch needs to be replaced. As pics this weeks showed them under the bubble, looks like that line of thinking has gone away.
If I had to hazard a guess?
Team practices on grass everywhere in Pre season.
BB doesn't like turf under Bubble at training ground.
Team comes home & BB doesn't want to lose the momentum of practicing on grass & being able to practice the style of how the team wants to play/
Team practices on BMO & tries for 3 days to see if they can still practice how they want to play
Can't.
BMO field staff say practice not helping.
BB goes "OK, we practice on that piece of garbage turf for now until the outside fields are OK but we are going to install a good turf under that bubble this summer"

BB is a very pragmatic guy for somebody who has strong opinions - its a curious mix.

OgtheDim
03-20-2022, 08:32 AM
These are always interesting in a "wait, what happened then?" kind of way

https://twitter.com/GameFlowxPG/status/1505309877513641985

Oldtimer
03-20-2022, 09:26 AM
Have people forgotten the BMO Field pitch mega thread?

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?39562-BMO-Field-Pitch-thread/page44

MightyDM
03-20-2022, 10:24 AM
Have people forgotten the BMO Field pitch mega thread?

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?39562-BMO-Field-Pitch-thread/page44

We are all aware. But when the coach and former league MVP both say in Post game pressers that the pitch affected the game, surely it’s ok to talk about it here? But if you want us to move threads, we will respect the moderator’s request.

Webdogg
03-20-2022, 10:32 AM
So I avoided this threads as I couldn’t watch the game live. Now that I have, I don’t think the Laryea exit was as devastating as some believed (not me).

The moral of the story; sometime younger/different options can step up when given the chance.

If you re-read these forums you’ll see there are no WB on the team, the youth are garbage, the CPL guys are wasted roster space, O’Neil is at best a backup backup defender (5th) and TFC won’t reach 30 points.

It fun here with all the crazy opinions though so I’m not suggesting to stop. For me I thought the season would be what it is and the mindset of BB in teaching players to think before acting is going to help a younger squad. I don’t think that philosophy works quite as well with older and more established teams so it should work well when the more established players do get here as he won’t have to “teach”, the new guys will just need to fit with what’s already here

MightyDM
03-20-2022, 12:26 PM
BB characterized 3 at the back as a response to DC. I wonder if that isn’t a deflection. It’s a better line up given that we have four wingbacks and no full backs.

Derko
03-20-2022, 03:37 PM
I thought it was a very entertaining game, basically TFC are a brand new team under a brand new coach, and all the parts are not here yet. I know there are many an armchair manager that will disagree, but TFC are a work in progress right now and my expectations are more realistic.
That being said, there will be blunders and errors in judgement by our young players.
I did think that the referee was trying his best to ruin the game.
A card happy twat with a poor handle on the game, That is my only complaint with this match.

Oldtimer
03-20-2022, 09:37 PM
We are all aware. But when the coach and former league MVP both say in Post game pressers that the pitch affected the game, surely it’s ok to talk about it here? But if you want us to move threads, we will respect the moderator’s request.

I wasn't requesting a move, it's perfectly legit to discuss it after a game where it's relevant. I was responding to the new idea that we should only discuss football. That isn't how we've discussed things here. We've been discussing the pitch for years!! :)

MightyDM
03-21-2022, 12:16 AM
I wasn't requesting a move, it's perfectly legit to discuss it after a game where it's relevant. I was responding to the new idea that we should only discuss football. That isn't how we've discussed things here. We've been discussing the pitch for years!! :)

Ah! Apologies! And yes. We even discuss the weather….

jabbronies
03-21-2022, 08:44 AM

What is there to market right now? IMO the PR/Marketing team has done the right thing. kept quiet.

They don't want to shine the spotlight on the club because of where the club is right now. They are a work in progress. You don't big-up a work in progress, There's nothing here - what are you going to sell? JMR? Lucas Petrasso? Sure those are nice things for us to tune in for, but the average joe would look at this team as they are right now and dismiss them.

Better to sell TFC in the summer months after Insigne + others come in and they are fighting for a playoff spot.

ag futbol
03-21-2022, 10:07 AM
What is there to market right now? IMO the PR/Marketing team has done the right thing. kept quiet.

They don't want to shine the spotlight on the club because of where the club is right now. They are a work in progress. You don't big-up a work in progress, There's nothing here - what are you going to sell? JMR? Lucas Petrasso? Sure those are nice things for us to tune in for, but the average joe would look at this team as they are right now and dismiss them.

Better to sell TFC in the summer months after Insigne + others come in and they are fighting for a playoff spot.
Can’t say I agree. You don’t stop marketing the team because the big signing isn’t going to be here for six months.

Yuushalinsky
03-21-2022, 10:09 AM
I simply don't want to hear armchair opinions. If you're going to talk, talk with evidence or at least reasonable points, not hearsay. Provide educated opinions over "fire the groundskeeper".

Canary10
03-21-2022, 11:02 AM
I simply don't want to hear armchair opinions. If you're going to talk, talk with evidence or at least reasonable points, not hearsay. Provide educated opinions over "fire the groundskeeper".

If you don't want to hear armchair opinions, I wouldn't be coming to a discussion board! Lol.

jabbronies
03-21-2022, 11:12 AM
Can’t say I agree. You don’t stop marketing the team because the big signing isn’t going to be here for six months.

You don't try and sell a half baked product to potential consumers. It will do more damage to your brand than just keeping quiet and waiting for the right moment to spend your marketing $$.

The hardcore fans may not appreciate it, but you are not trying to sell to them, they already bought into this product. You are trying to build awareness with those not engaging in your product. You don't want to sell them a bad product that is only partially started, otherwise when there is something good to sell, they won't buy in.

This is marketing 101 stuff

ag futbol
03-21-2022, 12:35 PM
You don't try and sell a half baked product to potential consumers. It will do more damage to your brand than just keeping quiet and waiting for the right moment to spend your marketing $$.

The hardcore fans may not appreciate it, but you are not trying to sell to them, they already bought into this product. You are trying to build awareness with those not engaging in your product. You don't want to sell them a bad product that is only partially started, otherwise when there is something good to sell, they won't buy in.

This is marketing 101 stuff
It’s really not.

You’re looking at it very one dimensionally. Which is to say the only thing to sell is a winning product with a big star and to ask people to otherwise pay attention is tantamount to tarnishing your image.

Reasons why people show up to BMO field are varied. The fan experience, a local connection, young talent… any number of things. But you always want to be communicating and thinking about ways to broaden your base and the perceived benefits of the product.

jabbronies
03-21-2022, 01:05 PM
It’s really not.

You’re looking at it very one dimensionally. Which is to say the only thing to sell is a winning product with a big star and to ask people to otherwise pay attention is tantamount to tarnishing your image.

Reasons why people show up to BMO field are varied. The fan experience, a local connection, young talent… any number of things. But you always want to be communicating and thinking about ways to broaden your base and the perceived benefits of the product.

This isn't just about the big star and only selling a winning product. It has everything to do with where this team is in the project, They are a raw product still trying to figure out who they are. Even the club keeps telling us this is a work in progress and we need to be patient. There is no consistency on the field. They win 2-1 after getting blown out 4-1 the previous week. There are kids making stupid decisions on the field game in and game out. You don't spend money now to get as many people as you can to watch a team that is mediocre one week and then absolute crap the next. You're more likely to turn people off of the product than you are to bring them on.

A family of 4 looking for entertainment isn't going to find it fun when the team they came to watch gets blown out of the water or are not even competitive on the day - They are not coming back later in the season to see how the team is doing. Their view of the club for this season is that they are crap and It's better to spend their $$$ elsewhere.

A Euro snob who will watch TFC when they are playing well isn't buying into this project. They buy into the final product.

Same with the TV crowd - why tune in to watch a team stumble their way around the field trying to "Find themselves" when you can spend that time on another team up the road who will be competitive.

Even as a supporter I find it hard to stay engaged for a full 90 with this team right now. They have moments of something, but they have been bumbling around more often than not. I'm here for that. I'm here to watch this team grow - the average viewer is not. They don't care about being patient, they care about being entertained and this team is not entertaining yet.

ag futbol
03-21-2022, 01:43 PM
^ Don’t think we’re going to see eye-to-eye on this one but respect your opinion as a long time poster. Cheers

Section 223
03-21-2022, 03:00 PM
This isn't just about the big star and only selling a winning product. It has everything to do with where this team is in the project, They are a raw product still trying to figure out who they are. Even the club keeps telling us this is a work in progress and we need to be patient. There is no consistency on the field. They win 2-1 after getting blown out 4-1 the previous week. There are kids making stupid decisions on the field game in and game out. You don't spend money now to get as many people as you can to watch a team that is mediocre one week and then absolute crap the next. You're more likely to turn people off of the product than you are to bring them on.

A family of 4 looking for entertainment isn't going to find it fun when the team they came to watch gets blown out of the water or are not even competitive on the day - They are not coming back later in the season to see how the team is doing. Their view of the club for this season is that they are crap and It's better to spend their $$$ elsewhere.

A Euro snob who will watch TFC when they are playing well isn't buying into this project. They buy into the final product.

Same with the TV crowd - why tune in to watch a team stumble their way around the field trying to "Find themselves" when you can spend that time on another team up the road who will be competitive.

Even as a supporter I find it hard to stay engaged for a full 90 with this team right now. They have moments of something, but they have been bumbling around more often than not. I'm here for that. I'm here to watch this team grow - the average viewer is not. They don't care about being patient, they care about being entertained and this team is not entertaining yet.Could not agree with you more jabbronies I have been following the Toronto soccer scene for well over 50 years .I spent many nights at Etobicoke centennial, Lamport stadium, varsity stadium following the old NSL teams like Croatia , White eagles Toronto Italia, in all seriousness the 11 that were on the field for TFC Saturday would have there hands full with those Semi-pro sides, What we are watching currently is as you say “ a team stumble there way around the field” Sell this club when Insigne shows until then it would be wise for MLSE stay away from promoting this folly that they are calling professional soccer

MightyDM
03-21-2022, 05:08 PM
Jabbronies, I respect the fact that you are a long time poster but fundamentally disagree with you here. There is a genuine youth movement that fans can get behind and follow for years, if they are in at the ground floor. It’s eminently marketable and anyone who was a Jays fan from inception to ‘85 understands that, or a TFC supporter from inception to 2015 for that matter. Later Jays teams took the Star Making Machinery approach and lost a generation.

Also, small Comms matters are being done wrong, and it’s for the same reason - the marketing has been taken over by the Leafs / Raptors team as was announced I think in 2019. It drives me crazy at the games.

We don’t need to be told to raise our scarves during Oh Canada. We invented that! We don’t need to be told to chant the players last names. We invented that! We don’t need to be told to sing Oh Canada - we invented that so shut up Doug and let us sing. Pretty soon the announcer will be telling us what songs to sing and posting “noise” on the Jumbotron like they have to at the Leafs. Sheesh.

MikeForbes
03-21-2022, 05:52 PM
I do think they can market this team better. The only thing we get is a daily Twitter/Insta post with a generic phrase like "Suns shining!" and pictures of Jayden Nelson, JMR, Noble Okello and Carlos Salcedo.

OgtheDim
03-21-2022, 06:05 PM
Another fine game by Jesus, btw. Just puts in the hard graft taking up space & occupying defenders & causing them to have to think & look behind themselves.

Section 223
03-21-2022, 06:49 PM
Jabbronies, I respect the fact that you are a long time poster but fundamentally disagree with you here. There is a genuine youth movement that fans can get behind and follow for years, if they are in at the ground floor. It’s eminently marketable and anyone who was a Jays fan from inception to ‘85 understands that, or a TFC supporter from inception to 2015 for that matter. Later Jays teams took the Star Making Machinery approach and lost a generation.

Also, small Comms matters are being done wrong, and it’s for the same reason - the marketing has been taken over by the Leafs / Raptors team as was announced I think in 2019. It drives me crazy at the games.

We don’t need to be told to raise our scarves during Oh Canada. We invented that! We don’t need to be told to chant the players last names. We invented that! We don’t need to be told to sing Oh Canada - we invented that so shut up Doug and late us sing. Pretty soon the announcer will be telling us what songs to sing and posting “noise” on the Jumbotron like they have to at the Leafs. Sheesh.
No I think jabbronies has it spot on when his says that Euro snobs and average Joes don’t give a damn about watching the youth development, most want big names and MLSE finally figured that out hence Insigne.

jabbronies
03-21-2022, 07:43 PM

There is nothing stable around this team right now. Everything is in flux!

Who are you promoting with the youth that will be here for years to come?? Not even BB knows who will actually come through at the end of this learning period. Who would've pegged Lucas Petrasso to be the guy we'd all be talking about? and how long is his streak going to last? is this just a fluke or can you drop a few thousand on marketing material to pump this guy up only to have him flake off in 2 weeks. Nobel Okelo is showing how 1 dimensional he is already, imagine if the team sunk marketing dollars on that? If all goes to plan JMR is slated to leave at the end of this year. Where is Shaffelberg? He hasn't been the starlet we all hoped for - Is it fair to shine a huge spotlight on him as he litteraly learns how to play his position?

This isn't the jays of 2019 where you have guys you know are the future of the club. TFC do not know what these kids can do. This is the trial period, you don't pump up the trial period. Maybe by mid-season, but more likely the end of the year we will get a better sense of who is the real deal and who is just another Gabe Gala.

The supporters are there for the ground floor experience. They can tout "I was there when..." Anyone who is interested in that type of thing will already be following the team. Marketing $$ is meant for those who are not already on board. Now is not the time to get them riled up.

We don’t need to be told to raise our scarves during Oh Canada. We invented that! We don’t need to be told to chant the players last names. We invented that! We don’t need to be told to sing Oh Canada - we invented that so shut up Doug and late us sing. Pretty soon the announcer will be telling us what songs to sing and posting “noise” on the Jumbotron like they have to at the Leafs. Sheesh.

This I can agree with. In game stuff is a bit much.

MightyDM
03-22-2022, 08:08 AM
Marketing doesn’t mean only pick one star and market the hell out of him or her. Sure that’s the NBA but it doesn’t have to be everything.

There’s lots to see here. Sure, there will be more with Insigne. But there are lots of great stories around this team right now and they need to be told, even if it’s just for the 25,000 they should be getting every game. Piggyback onCMNT if you have to but at least start people talking about the club and the team

Ultra & Proud
03-22-2022, 08:40 AM
Who are you promoting with the youth that will be here for years to come?? Not even BB knows who will actually come through at the end of this learning period. Who would've pegged Lucas Petrasso to be the guy we'd all be talking about? and how long is his streak going to last? is this just a fluke or can you drop a few thousand on marketing material to pump this guy up only to have him flake off in 2 weeks. Nobel Okelo is showing how 1 dimensional he is already, imagine if the team sunk marketing dollars on that? If all goes to plan JMR is slated to leave at the end of this year. Where is Shaffelberg? He hasn't been the starlet we all hoped for - Is it fair to shine a huge spotlight on him as he litteraly learns how to play his position?

Difference now is that we have a manager with a proven track record of using and developing young talent, especially in MLS. We never had that before with any manager. If there is a time for optimism regarding the futures of our young domestics then it's now and I don't see why we wouldn't promote them in some way.

Canary10
03-22-2022, 08:50 AM
Difference now is that we have a manager with a proven track record of using and developing young talent, especially in MLS. We never had that before with any manager. If there is a time for optimism regarding the futures of our young domestics then it's now and I don't see why we wouldn't promote them in some way.

Promote JMR as the next Alphonso Davies and people interested in soccer will want to see him. We don't often have a young player rated top 100 in the world under 20.

Oldtimer
03-22-2022, 09:14 AM
We don’t need to be told to chant the players last names. We invented that! We "borrowed" the idea from the Bundesliga. ;) A lot of "our" ideas aren't exactly original. But point well taken that we don't need some announcer, or mascot :puke:or cheerleaders to tell us when and how to do things.

jabbronies
03-22-2022, 10:19 AM

Promote JMR as the next Alphonso Davies and people interested in soccer will want to see him. We don't often have a young player rated top 100 in the world under 20.

I'm glad you brought up Bob Bradley in this conversation. I'm pretty sure he has some say in a lot of things going on around the club, including how much unfair exposure he wants his players facing. He also doesn't want over exposure to cloud his project this early in the plan.

You don't do this to kids, especially a 17 year old kid who already have the weight of the world on his shoulders from irrational fans and media valuing him at $20 million without barley stepping foot on an MLS pitch. Comparing him to Davies? c'mon man. That's totally unfair pressure.

Anyways, I've made my point. I won't be keeping receipts on this because I'm 100% confident there won't big marketing pushes for this club until at least Insigne arrives, and even then, only if things stable out and there is a product that is worth selling this early in the project. But Insigne will be the thing the next marketing campaign you see will be selling.

I'd love to know of any creator, anywhere in the world in any industry, that would want big marketing pushes for a product they have barely started working on.

Canary10
03-22-2022, 11:28 AM
I'm glad you brought up Bob Bradley in this conversation. I'm pretty sure he has some say in a lot of things going on around the club, including how much unfair exposure he wants his players facing. He also doesn't want over exposure to cloud his project this early in the plan.

You don't do this to kids, especially a 17 year old kid who already have the weight of the world on his shoulders from irrational fans and media valuing him at $20 million without barley stepping foot on an MLS pitch. Comparing him to Davies? c'mon man. That's totally unfair pressure.

Anyways, I've made my point. I won't be keeping receipts on this because I'm 100% confident there won't big marketing pushes for this club until at least Insigne arrives, and even then, only if things stable out and there is a product that is worth selling this early in the project. But Insigne will be the thing the next marketing campaign you see will be selling.

I'd love to know of any creator, anywhere in the world in any industry, that would want big marketing pushes for a product they have barely started working on.

Yeah I agree with this, it was more an out there example to show it's possible. I do think a "meet the future" kind of campaign featuring the kids is possible. And a skilled communications department can have a phased campaign that moves into the LI era fairly easily. There are tons of examples of that, it's not crazy.

Oldtimer
03-22-2022, 11:41 AM

Case in point: Freddy Adu. He was very promising youth with DC United who got overwhelmed by excessive hype and ultimately never reached his potential. Now playing for a Swedish team in a tiny remote village with a stadium that seats max 1000.

MightyDM
03-23-2022, 12:41 PM
We "borrowed" the idea from the Bundesliga. ;) A lot of "our" ideas aren't exactly original. But point well taken that we don't need some announcer, or mascot :puke:or cheerleaders to tell us when and how to do things.

Good point. But at least we are derivative of other supporters, not some corporate message on a Jumbotron like “noise”

MightyDM
03-23-2022, 12:44 PM

I agree re JMR. But not about the rest. Silence is never a good marketing strategy, particularly given the past two years for TFC. The club will either be ignored or the doubters will create a negative narrative.

“New beginnings” would be enough. Doesn’t have to be oversold. Create some buzz. “An air of anticipation”

jloome
03-23-2022, 02:29 PM
The middle ground is that they’re probably promoting, they’re just keeping it to trad media like ads, billboards etc and ignoring social media.

I suspect Jabbronies’ logic on this one is right in that they’re not going to blow it out until Insigne gets here. But it’s likely MightyDM is right in that they’re not doing “nothing”, because when you’re in a lull as a business retaining visibility is essential.

But who knows. I used to ascribe all sorts of logic to companies but you realize as you age that sometimes they’re just doing a bad job of something because the right people aren’t paying attention, or aren’t the right people.

JonO
03-23-2022, 03:17 PM
I am still not sure that they have their fingers on the pulse of the market. Whenever I am debating renewing, my ticket rep always seems surprised that there is no secondary market for my tickets. If I can sell them at all, it is almost always at a 30-40% loss. The early days of waiting lists have distorted their perspective on the market.

Anyway - back on topic, I was surprisingly impressed with Chung. Seemed to take him a little while to settle (maybe nerves - I think it was his first game at BMO) but I though he put in a really solid performance. Petrasso has been great as well. And I still really love what Oso brings to the team - bring on the haters ;)

jabbronies
03-23-2022, 03:21 PM
I am still not sure that they have their fingers on the pulse of the market. Whenever I am debating renewing, my ticket rep always seems surprised that there is no secondary market for my tickets. If I can sell them at all, it is almost always at a 30-40% loss. The early days of waiting lists have distorted their perspective on the market.

Anyway - back on topic, I was surprisingly impressed with Chung. Seemed to take him a little while to settle (maybe nerves - I think it was his first game at BMO) but I though he put in a really solid performance. Petrasso has been great as well. And I still really love what Oso brings to the team - bring on the haters ;)

Who are these Oso haters? I've never seen them before. The guy is a solid TAM player IMO

jabbronies
03-23-2022, 03:30 PM
The middle ground is that they’re probably promoting, they’re just keeping it to trad media like ads, billboards etc and ignoring social media.

I suspect Jabbronies’ logic on this one is right in that they’re not going to blow it out until Insigne gets here. But it’s likely MightyDM is right in that they’re not doing “nothing”, because when you’re in a lull as a business retaining visibility is essential.

But who knows. I used to ascribe all sorts of logic to companies but you realize as you age that sometimes they’re just doing a bad job of something because the right people aren’t paying attention, or aren’t the right people.

I worked in Ad agencies for over 10 years. I'm in the mobile games industry now and still work closely with the marketing departments. General rule for established products is to never spend money to promote a work in progress, the return is almost never worth it. Maybe your loyal supporters would appreciate to see the progress, but the masses don't care about that. If you sell to your loyalists you do that on smaller/cheaper channels. You don't spend mainstream budgets on something that isn't where you want it to be.

This is a 4-5 year plan and the centre piece of this whole thing isn't even here. MLSE is smart to keep that money in hand until Insigne comes in. When he does - you sell the crap out of him until the team catches up.

MikeForbes
03-23-2022, 04:09 PM
I hope Canada clinches tomorrow, but god I hate international breaks.

Bushmancan
03-23-2022, 04:27 PM
For the most part, I really liked what i saw. With that said, DC United are not a very good team and we still went down early. I am hoping we continue to develop chemistry for all and learn to pay tighter as a team but lots of fun last weekend.

jloome
03-23-2022, 04:42 PM
I worked in Ad agencies for over 10 years. I'm in the mobile games industry now and still work closely with the marketing departments. General rule for established products is to never spend money to promote a work in progress, the return is almost never worth it. Maybe your loyal supporters would appreciate to see the progress, but the masses don't care about that. If you sell to your loyalists you do that on smaller/cheaper channels. You don't spend mainstream budgets on something that isn't where you want it to be.

This is a 4-5 year plan and the centre piece of this whole thing isn't even here. MLSE is smart to keep that money in hand until Insigne comes in. When he does - you sell the crap out of him until the team catches up.

This isn’t a work in progress. It was a work in progress, in terms of the marketplace, in 2006.

It’s a work in progress in competitive football terms, but that’s different from the franchise being a work in progress. Whether it’s competitive or not it still has to draw fans in the first half of the season, try to get points, try to set the stage for a more successful second half.

You’re in software, so consider the gaming equivalent. A game goes gold and launches, it’s not technically a “work in progress” — an alpha or beta — it’s a finished product. Now, typically for competitive reasons these days the practical reality is it needs bug fixing and constant improvement from day one, but technically, it’s a finished work.

I think your position makes sense, and some software companies clearly are smart enough to go with ‘soft’ launches sometimes to meet obligations. But it’s far more common to see them (see Cyberpunk 2077, about a million others) hype the hell out for it to get initial sales, then admit almost immediately that it’s incredibly broken and won’t be ideal for six months to a year.

I sell ebooks for a living now, and most of my colleagues are better at it and more successful than I am. There are so many entertainment options out there that the best know they have to be ever-present, with podcasts, chat groups, guest appearances and constant, constant advertising.

Yes, when they have a launch they spend five times as much as during the rest of the year, and I imagine we’ll see a big swell of MLSE publicity when Insigne gets here. But they’re not going to completely ignore advertising and publicity for the rest of the year.

I’ve spent my entire adult life around advertising people, going to marketing meetings at newspapers. I’ve never met one yet who thought “go silent” was a good strategy except during periods of scandal or public embarrassment. I suspect these days, with attention spans shorter than ever, that that has never been truer.

jabbronies
03-23-2022, 06:48 PM
This isn’t a work in progress. It was a work in progress, in terms of the marketplace, in 2006.

It’s a work in progress in competitive football terms, but that’s different from the franchise being a work in progress. Whether it’s competitive or not it still has to draw fans in the first half of the season, try to get points, try to set the stage for a more successful second half.

You’re in software, so consider the gaming equivalent. A game goes gold and launches, it’s not technically a “work in progress” — an alpha or beta — it’s a finished product. Now, typically for competitive reasons these days the practical reality is it needs bug fixing and constant improvement from day one, but technically, it’s a finished work.

I think your position makes sense, and some software companies clearly are smart enough to go with ‘soft’ launches sometimes to meet obligations. But it’s far more common to see them (see Cyberpunk 2077, about a million others) hype the hell out for it to get initial sales, then admit almost immediately that it’s incredibly broken and won’t be ideal for six months to a year.

I sell ebooks for a living now, and most of my colleagues are better at it and more successful than I am. There are so many entertainment options out there that the best know they have to be ever-present, with podcasts, chat groups, guest appearances and constant, constant advertising.

Yes, when they have a launch they spend five times as much as during the rest of the year, and I imagine we’ll see a big swell of MLSE publicity when Insigne gets here. But they’re not going to completely ignore advertising and publicity for the rest of the year.

I’ve spent my entire adult life around advertising people, going to marketing meetings at newspapers. I’ve never met one yet who thought “go silent” was a good strategy except during periods of scandal or public embarrassment. I suspect these days, with attention spans shorter than ever, that that has never been truer.

First off - good convo here

I work in Mobile gaming. So for new releases we do beta testing - which means quietly launching in smaller markets without any marketing what-so-ever. Not until we work out the kinks and are happy with the product. Only then do we launch. Now that console games can be DL'd from the online stores, you'll start to see this practice more with console games as well.

Brining it back to football, and TFC specifically - they don't need to market for the first half of the season because they have more than 3/4 of their season seats sold at this point. They are not hurting for in stadium support they are pulling in 21K per game.

TV contracts are not going to be harmed because they are handled by the league and have already been dealt with. If Insigne pans out like they are planning, then second half ratings will more than make up for whatever they don't get in the first half.

Ads and Sponsorships have already been agreed upon for this season. They know Insigne is coming, they are not waiting until he gets here to sign on with the club, that $$ is already been spent/promised to the club.

Everyone involved knows when he arrives that is when the push to get eyeballs on the club will happen. That is the most logical time to do that. Until then, the team can figure their shit out without having the spotlight on them.

Auzzy
03-23-2022, 08:01 PM
^ I could understand either strategy: more marketing or less marketing now.

But what I'm REALLY not sure about: how much of what they are doing, or are not doing, is strategy? I mean you would think a big operation like MLSE and TFC (TFC is big within its league) would have a strategy, would adjust it to reality, would follow it.

But then over the years you see such BONEHEADED things, both on and off the field. And then you see other things work great, out of pure luck. And of course you also see stuff turn out great and just as planned.

Honestly, do we REALLY know what is what? Especially until it's hindsight? And even then we don't always know!!!

jloome
03-23-2022, 08:50 PM
^ I could understand either strategy: more marketing or less marketing now.

But what I'm REALLY not sure about: how much of what they are doing, or are not doing, is strategy? I mean you would think a big operation like MLSE and TFC (TFC is big within its league) would have a strategy, would adjust it to reality, would follow it.

But then over the years you see such BONEHEADED things, both on and off the field. And then you see other things work great, out of pure luck. And of course you also see stuff turn out great and just as planned.

Honestly, do we REALLY know what is what? Especially until it's hindsight? And even then we don't always know!!!

Yeah, very true. This has never been a firm with military precision. The laissez faire behavior of the Mo/Earl days seemed to disappear under Lieweke and BEz, but I'm not sure Curtis or Manning were paying nearly as much attention to fine details on the business side. Based on their record with the roster, one would have to assume not.

Jabbronies, good point on the seasons tickets. IF they're 3/4 sold out they're probably not going to worry much about hype when we're losing. They've covered the superficial bases already.

My frustration from years in the media is how little they take advantage of the constant need for content out there now. They do some great stuff, like the All For One series, but for the most part the day to day is silent.

MightyDM
03-23-2022, 11:03 PM
I’m in communications, not marketing. The idea that you would go silent at a moment like this is anathema to our field. I get what Jabbronies is saying about the very short term ie they don’t need to sell anything for the next few months so why promote, but I really don’t see how that applies to a long run project like a soccer team. This team COULD have a great narrative about new beginnings, youth etc and they should decide on the narrative and then be telling that story every day. Doesn’t have to be big $$ but it needs to be consistent and authentic. Define yourself or others - or events - will do it for you. Chris Armas was defined by events after a failed narrative - failed because it was inauthentic. The Vanney / Bez era was defined by Tim L - “why can’t we be great” It didnt that matter that not everyone was listening then because once they were that was still the narrative. In this case, if the team struggles the narrative will be “why is Insigne coming to a lousy team” or similar. But if it’s defined as “the best young Canadians are going with the best Italy can bring to Canada” or similar it creates room for the expected ups and downs. At a moment when the CMNT is poised for historic success, it’s an narrative that has legs, too. How do you do this? Make the spring all about the yojngsters, as a group. Their families. Their youth soccer. Their brothers and sisters who play. Human interest about a relative who was a great athlete on a different sport. And meld in stories about young players BB has molded. All of this is nearly free. But it creates a concept about the team that is positive and can get embedded in the local consciousness, including among the press. I might not have it perfect, but it’s something like this.

jloome
03-23-2022, 11:17 PM
I’m in communications, not marketing. The idea in our field that you would go silent at a moment like this is anathema. I get what Jabbromies is saying about the very short term ie they don’t need to sell anything for the next few months so why promote, but I really don’t see how that applies to a long run project like a soccer team. This team COULD have a great narrative about new beginnings, youth etc and they should decide on the narrative and then be telling that story every day. Doesn’t have to be big $$ but it needs to be consistent and authentic. Define yourself or others - or events - will do it for you.

It's always been one of their biggest shortcomings. They have all these unique stories of perseverance and passion about the sport, and they restrict it to basically "All For One", which is fine but so not enough in terms of PR and storytelling.

MightyDM
03-23-2022, 11:24 PM
It's always been one of their biggest shortcomings. They have all these unique stories of perseverance and passion about the sport, and they restrict it to basically "All For One", which is fine but so not enough in terms of PR and storytelling.

Totally. I revised my post before I saw this, BTW, but I couldn’t agree more.

OgtheDim
03-24-2022, 06:30 AM

Rogers & Bell are not exactly known for their innovative marketing - like it or not, the template for marketing in this town is drab boring banks who think putting a nice & good looking black guy behind a desk while talking to people is ground breaking.

MightyDM
03-25-2022, 11:06 AM
Rogers & Bell are not exactly known for their innovative marketing - like it or not, the template for marketing in this town is drab boring banks who think putting a nice & good looking black guy behind a desk while talking to people is ground breaking.

yes but its a really really good looking guy.....

ag futbol
03-25-2022, 12:02 PM
I’m in communications, not marketing. The idea that you would go silent at a moment like this is anathema to our field. I get what Jabbronies is saying about the very short term ie they don’t need to sell anything for the next few months so why promote, but I really don’t see how that applies to a long run project like a soccer team. This team COULD have a great narrative about new beginnings, youth etc and they should decide on the narrative and then be telling that story every day. Doesn’t have to be big $$ but it needs to be consistent and authentic. Define yourself or others - or events - will do it for you. Chris Armas was defined by events after a failed narrative - failed because it was inauthentic. The Vanney / Bez era was defined by Tim L - “why can’t we be great” It didnt that matter that not everyone was listening then because once they were that was still the narrative. In this case, if the team struggles the narrative will be “why is Insigne coming to a lousy team” or similar. But if it’s defined as “the best young Canadians are going with the best Italy can bring to Canada” or similar it creates room for the expected ups and downs. At a moment when the CMNT is poised for historic success, it’s an narrative that has legs, too. How do you do this? Make the spring all about the yojngsters, as a group. Their families. Their youth soccer. Their brothers and sisters who play. Human interest about a relative who was a great athlete on a different sport. And meld in stories about young players BB has molded. All of this is nearly free. But it creates a concept about the team that is positive and can get embedded in the local consciousness, including among the press. I might not have it perfect, but it’s something like this.
Totally agree. There are some angles to be worked here