PDA

View Full Version : I had a good chat with Carver today!

kdzb
08-06-2008, 05:06 PM
He was with his wife sitting beside me on the 4:10 train going to Burlington.
I approched him politely, he shaked my hand and we started chatting about all kind of things and mostly TFC matters.
Dickov = You guys can forget about Dickov, he confirmed to me that we don't have any chance to get him and it looks like Leicester finalized the deal with him.
Turf = He said that management are aware that we are losing good signings because of the turf.
He mentionned as well that the club are looking for a training ground that has a natural grass where they can train everyday.
He said that Bellamy was here during the All Stars Game but he couldn't play because of the turf.
Dave Simpson = He is going to look at him again tomorrow and make a decision. but he said that he is a good player and he liked what he saw so far.

I couldn't help it but I was listening to a conversation that he was having on the phone with Mo and he was talking about somebody (player I guess) and he was telling Mo that he knew the guy from Luton's days and he told him to go back there and get paid what he is owed and come back for sometime and if we decide to sign him we can do it even when the window is closed. I have no idea he was talking about whom.

In general he is a great guy and he loves Toronto and the fans and he said that he will do everything for TFC to be successfull.

He even mentioned that he is looking for some Latino flavour like a Guevara style. He said that we should look out there in south and central america for some players.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-06-2008, 05:08 PM
Interesting. Sounds realistic enough.
Nothing personal but im going to take this all with a grain of salt (too many threads like this )
Let everyone commence looking at Luton when Carver was there...

a.ungaro
08-06-2008, 05:11 PM
haven't we been saying to test the south american waters since day one... we should implement the same system Seattle is going to have...make the fans in charge...Oh and nice post BTW

kelzag
08-06-2008, 05:12 PM
Going to Burlington? Is he a west-ender??

a.ungaro
08-06-2008, 05:15 PM
umm this is guy is canadian and is old fits the criteria lol

Paul Peschisolido

Boris
08-06-2008, 05:15 PM

he lives in oakville....i know a few places where hes a regular

rocker
08-06-2008, 05:24 PM
kdzb -- did you ask him about a DP!?!??! ;)

kdzb
08-06-2008, 05:25 PM

He got off at Bronte. I think he live around there

Ossington Mental Youth
08-06-2008, 05:27 PM

Paul Peschisolido

Fuck.
Totally true.
Such a frightening prospect.
id laugh if i didnt think it was a possibility

Section 117
08-06-2008, 05:31 PM
I will puke if that is true

loconet
08-06-2008, 05:32 PM
Good stuff, thanks for the update on those things.

I met him very briefly after the game last weekend and he seemed like a very stand up guy (very easy to see from his interviews, etc), passionate about his work and yes he seems to really like the city/team. Too bad things are not turning out well for the team lately.

Nuvinho
08-06-2008, 05:32 PM
nice bits of info.

Just wondering tho if Dickov was the guy Carver said they were close to signing on the weekend. If not, there could be another guy on the radar. I know i'm reaching for some news......but its all we can do these days.

kdzb
08-06-2008, 05:34 PM
kdzb -- did you ask him about a DP!?!??! ;)
Yes I did but he said that it's not that easy. He said that he is aging by the day concerning that subject but I didn't feel that he was trying to bulshit me or anything like the quotes we were reading all around the board here like << We are looking at some people and we are close to signing somebody>> or something like that.
I felt like there is no plan B concerning the DP.
Actually he was shaking his head at how the league is unbalanced salary wise. He said there are people like Bekham who earns 5 mill and some players who earns 14k and they play in the same team.
I jumped on the opportunity and asked him why they don't take advantage of the LAG problems and swap cunny for landycake. he started to laugh:D

Ossington Mental Youth
08-06-2008, 05:37 PM
nice bits of info.

Just wondering tho if Dickov was the guy Carver said they were close to signing on the weekend. If not, there could be another guy on the radar. I know i'm reaching for some news......but its all we can do these days.

Id put money on it that he was talking about Dickov

a.ungaro
08-06-2008, 05:38 PM
Fuck.
Totally true.
Such a frightening prospect.
id laugh if i didnt think it was a possibility

hes old as dirt and probably wouldn't do any better then lombardo

Section 117
08-06-2008, 05:39 PM

Fuck Dickov he thirty fucking five, why in gods name are we going after someone like him????

:noidea:

Section 117
sorry just need to rant it has been a stress full month and a half

Roogsy
Because competent 28 year old strikers are not interested in MLS, let alone Toronto's Field Turf.

Nuvinho
08-06-2008, 05:40 PM

damn

Normally Wednesday is when the news breaks, as its the team's non-practice day. I was sooo hoping for some good news today.

Section 117
08-06-2008, 05:42 PM
Because competent 28 year old strikers are not interested in MLS, let alone Toronto's Field Turf.

How do you explain all of the younger south americans/africans in this league?

I guess are mangement only knows about washed up english folk

Roogsy
08-06-2008, 05:44 PM
You will find very few in the forward/striker position. It's a really hard position to fill competently as we have come to know through suffering.

But I do get your point...and the UK-centricness of our trialists is a little worrisome.

Hooligan69
08-06-2008, 05:47 PM
You should have asked him why TFC couldn't even score in a brothel these days.

Kickit09
08-06-2008, 05:47 PM

Emilio, one of DC's two designated players (thats right 2 DPs) is 29. he has 11 goals so far his seaon....but they have real grass at RFK

bangersandmash
08-06-2008, 05:49 PM
I feel for Carver. Toronto is a hard sell. Forget the turf. Everyone knows about the turf. Think about the TV exposure. A good young player would need to see the MLS as a stepping stone (for now). Toronto gets almost no exposure on ESPN and thus almost no exposure around the world. Toronto may be a good place to come to play, but it is probably not a good place to come and develop your career as a footballer hoping to break onto the world stage. And then there is the salary cap...

I'm willing to bet that Mo and JC go back to the UK to look for players because they can call in personal favours to make players overlook the lack of career-building media exposure. They cannot do this with South American players, especially where there is absolutely no Spanish-language coverage. I'm sure that Mo and John are busting their balls to get players in here. After all, they want to win just as much as we do. The deck is just stacked against them.

kdzb
08-06-2008, 05:50 PM
Actually I told him that I don't think that big name players will want to play for us as long as we have the turf.
He reminded me that Angel is a big name player and he is playing on turf at NYRB.
He mentionned that he is looking for an Angel caliber who want to come and play on our surface it's then when he added that the team is looking for a natural ground for training purpose everyday.
I guess Obrian mentionned it too when the quake came here. He said that it's training on the turf everyday that is hard not playing on it once a week or so.

Roogsy
08-06-2008, 05:52 PM
Emilio, one of DC's two designated players (thats right 2 DPs) is 29. he has 11 goals so far his seaon....but they have real grass at RFK

LMAO! Nothing is absolute. The exception to the rule if you will. And Emilio will probably wind up in Europe at some point.

And nobody has the Latin American connections like DC United.

OHARARULES
08-06-2008, 05:53 PM

Paul Peschisolido
there was an article about Peschi in the Ajax/Pickering News advertiser about 2mnths ago. They interviewed him and he did mention that he has went down to BMO and talked with Carver but his Wife lives in England and she is currently running a Team. So I don't think Peschi will be coming over also he is not old as dirt.. still a kid 36 I think..

here is an article about Paul and his wife from the BBC
http://www.bbc.co.uk/derby/content/articles/2004/11/05/rams_paul_peschisolido_profile_feature.shtml

its an old article but it should give you some background on the guy for those of you who don't know who he is.

Kickit09
08-06-2008, 05:59 PM
And Emilio will probably wind up in Europe at some point.

no doubt, but DC will get a good year or two out of him. he single handedly brought them out of the eastern conference basement (where we now are)... also landycakes (as much as we hate him has 13 goals) is only 26, and even though he's rumored to be going to europe is still on LA for now, so the good young strikers are out there in MLS, few as they maybe.

Nuvinho
08-06-2008, 06:02 PM
We are talking about franchises who have been in existence for many years, have built academies, and have built relationships (scouting) in many areas of the world. If you remember when the MLS started, or when teams were in their first few years in the league, they got a bunch of washed up players to play. It takes time to build a scouting system, and to get players to want to come to Toronto.

jloome
08-06-2008, 06:06 PM
there was an article about Peschi in the Ajax/Pickering News advertiser about 2mnths ago. They interviewed him and he did mention that he has went down to BMO and talked with Carver but his Wife lives in England and she is currently running a Team. So I don't think Peschi will be coming over also he is not old as dirt.. still a kid 36 I think..

here is an article about Paul and his wife from the BBC
http://www.bbc.co.uk/derby/content/articles/2004/11/05/rams_paul_peschisolido_profile_feature.shtml

its an old article but it should give you some background on the guy for those of you who don't know who he is.

Think his wife's facing some legal troubles over there, though, with respect to an investigation into player acquisitions. Do a search on Karen Brady and it should come up (if I've spelled her name right?). Anyway, that alone could be a reason she wouldn't mind him playing here for six months or so.

Kickit09
08-06-2008, 06:06 PM
to add, Kenny Cooper is 23 and Edson (oh the irony) Buddle is 27... the reason i used these 4 guys is because they are 1,2,3,4 in scoring in MLS and all under 30.

Roogsy
08-06-2008, 06:10 PM
LMAO!

I think you decimated my point. I stand corrected.

I would note though that these are a product of scouting and development (except Donovan)...2 things that Toronto FC presently do not have.

Troll
08-06-2008, 06:11 PM
What a coincidence, I ran into Richard Peddie on the 5:10 train. He was holding a bucket of Popeyes Fried Chicken and he told me he just traded in his helicopter.

Seemed like a cool guy.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
08-06-2008, 06:57 PM
obviously THE TURF is a factor.....ignor it if you like....it just came from the man himself!...M$LE DEFINTLY have to figure this out! we are losing signings everyday......its not a mo or carver issue....its an MLSE ISSUE........ GETR DONE!

Sonny Cheeba
08-06-2008, 06:59 PM
hot wife?

Bloor West FC
08-06-2008, 07:00 PM
Wow he might be on my train in the morning!!! I gotta keep my eye's open!! I will bring him in the loco with me and we will talk of all things TFC!!!!:willy_nilly::yessir:

kdzb
08-06-2008, 07:03 PM
hot wife?

LOL,
How about we put it this way << she looks like a good nice mature wife >>

NateDoGG
08-06-2008, 07:43 PM
thats cool that u got to sit down with him and chat about stuff

id love to ask him why he blames the refs for everything?

MisterMacphisto
08-06-2008, 07:45 PM
obviously THE TURF is a factor.....ignor it if you like....it just came from the man himself!...M$LE DEFINTLY have to figure this out! we are losing signings everyday......its not a mo or carver issue....its an MLSE ISSUE........ GETR DONE!

This sums everything up with TFC... We have to turf the turf. There's no question about it.

When I win 649 tonight, the first thing I am doing is meeting with the city and MLSE and ask them how much of my 40 million do they need to A) keep the Argos out forever and B) Put in grass to make this the best pitch in North America. Then I'm buying Mo a new iPhone and lock him in a room with the rest of my 40 Million until he signs the best DP money can buy.

Steve-Tor
08-06-2008, 09:32 PM
Head coach on a train.:o

MLS has a long way to go to be big time.

Never seen Pat Quinn or Paul Maurice on a streetcar or a bus:D

Steve-Tor
08-06-2008, 09:33 PM
What a coincidence, I ran into Richard Peddie on the 5:10 train. He was holding a bucket of Popeyes Fried Chicken and he told me he just traded in his helicopter.

Seemed like a cool guy.

:D Quality.

DigzTFC!
08-06-2008, 09:56 PM
I wonder....on the striker....Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Floyd_Hasselbank

unattached....

Nuvinho
08-06-2008, 10:04 PM

unattached....

JFH would be good in MLS

Captain Croatia
08-06-2008, 10:18 PM

unattached....

I'll take him, i dont even give a shit anymore, pitch a 1-year-deal, see what happens.

Dammit TFC, i swear i can score more goals then our two starting strikers, seriously.

BakaGaijin
08-06-2008, 10:25 PM
He got off at Bronte. I think he live around there

No shit. I pulled into Hopedale Mall a couple hours after the game on Sunday and I could have sworn that Carver was in the car behind, but I thought there was no chance in hell............I guess it might've been....

I think he was going to the Beer Store..........after that fucking game I don't blame him......

James17930
08-06-2008, 10:34 PM
But is it a good idea to practice on grass all week and then play on turf? Won't that throw off the players' timing and passing and stuff?

Shouldn't it be either all turf or all grass?

Because the thing with the turf is that the ball will take off much faster than on grass. You always see opposing teams, when they come to BMO, have their passes go awry for the first ten to fifteen minutes of the game because they are still adjusting the amount of power they need to put into their passes.

So if we practice on grass all week, is it possible we're going to have the same problem come game time?

NateDoGG
08-06-2008, 10:44 PM
come to think of it
someone should of kicked him in the leg, just like what the one lad at the train station did to sir fergie last year ;) hahahahha

kdzb
08-06-2008, 10:59 PM
come to think of it
someone should of kicked him in the leg, just like what the one lad at the train station did to sir fergie last year ;) hahahahha

Can you please tell me why should I do that?
The guy was with his wife and behaving himself, I approched him politely and he accepted to have a friendly chat with me and I related all the information that I could extract from the man to this messageboard and you want me to kick him in the leg.

1) I'm not a holigan
2) When I see personalities in the street or taking transportations with me I respect them.
I had a brief exchange of words with his lady and she told me how she admire Torontonians and how polite they are - She said that we can have a life here without being husselled by the crowds outside. The proof is that they were taking the GO with average Joe. Do you think they could do that in England if he was a manager of a Club?

NateDoGG
08-06-2008, 11:00 PM
i was joking man, relax lol
;)

kdzb
08-06-2008, 11:06 PM
But is it a good idea to practice on grass all week and then play on turf? Won't that throw off the players' timing and passing and stuff?

Shouldn't it be either all turf or all grass?

Because the thing with the turf is that the ball will take off much faster than on grass. You always see opposing teams, when they come to BMO, have their passes go awry for the first ten to fifteen minutes of the game because they are still adjusting the amount of power they need to put into their passes.

So if we practice on grass all week, is it possible we're going to have the same problem come game time?

I honestly don't know and I'm not expert at these stuff but I recall that Obrian mentionned it when he had an interview here when he came with the quacke and said that the turf drove him out of town (Sorry no Link) and the man (Carver) himself today mentionned that the club (TFC) is looking for a natural surface around BMO to train everyday maybe that will ease up on Mo and himself to negociate with future players to come play for us.

James17930
08-07-2008, 12:07 AM
I honestly don't know and I'm not expert at these stuff but I recall that Obrian mentionned it when he had an interview here when he came with the quacke and said that the turf drove him out of town (Sorry no Link) and the man (Carver) himself today mentionned that the club (TFC) is looking for a natural surface around BMO to train everyday maybe that will ease up on Mo and himself to negociate with future players to come play for us.

Yes -- but I think we need both, right? A natural training ground and grass at BMO . . .

Dirk Diggler
08-07-2008, 12:21 AM
come to think of it

LOL, did that really happen? Was it a scouser?

Marco2K
08-07-2008, 07:26 AM
This sums everything up with TFC... We have to turf the turf. There's no question about it.

When I win 649 tonight, the first thing I am doing is meeting with the city and MLSE and ask them how much of my 40 million do they need to A) keep the Argos out forever and B) Put in grass to make this the best pitch in North America. Then I'm buying Mo a new iPhone and lock him in a room with the rest of my 40 Million until he signs the best DP money can buy.

Are you kidding me? How old are u?

ensco
08-07-2008, 07:38 AM
I feel for Carver. Toronto is a hard sell. Forget the turf. Everyone knows about the turf. Think about the TV exposure. A good young player would need to see the MLS as a stepping stone (for now). Toronto gets almost no exposure on ESPN and thus almost no exposure around the world. Toronto may be a good place to come to play, but it is probably not a good place to come and develop your career as a footballer hoping to break onto the world stage. And then there is the salary cap...

I'm willing to bet that Mo and JC go back to the UK to look for players because they can call in personal favours to make players overlook the lack of career-building media exposure. They cannot do this with South American players, especially where there is absolutely no Spanish-language coverage. I'm sure that Mo and John are busting their balls to get players in here. After all, they want to win just as much as we do. The deck is just stacked against them.

You're kidding, right? ESPN matters to young internationals? Seriously?

Wow.

That is quite an argument.

Turf is the issue for players young and old. Just watch Edu mincing around out there, terrified he's going to screw up his EPL transfer.

Great players from every godforesaken corner of the universe can and do wind up in the EPL and La Liga.

The exposure doesn't matter.

invictusTFC
08-07-2008, 07:54 AM

In the end MLSE have the financial capability to compensate the city for rental fee revenues lost by going to grass. After all they basically got a soccer specific stadium without investing any money of their own. If only MLSE was as savy running their franchises as they are making money.

arbogast
08-07-2008, 08:12 AM
You're kidding, right? ESPN matters to young internationals? Seriously?

Wow.

That is quite an argument.

Turf is the issue for players young and old. Just watch Edu mincing around out there, terrified he's going to screw up his EPL transfer.

Great players from every godforesaken corner of the universe can and do wind up in the EPL and La Liga.

The exposure doesn't matter.

Media exposure is a totally valid issue (as is the Turf). Look at Edu as an example, the guy's a US media whore and would probably be an even bigger star if he played for NYRB or the Galaxy because of their media exposure on US national tv.

fetajr
08-07-2008, 08:41 AM
He was with his wife sitting beside me on the 4:10 train going to Burlington.
I approched him politely, he shaked my hand and we started chatting about all kind of ......
He even mentioned that he is looking for some Latino flavour like a Guevara style. He said that we should look out there in south and central america for some players.

fuck ..pretty lucky to have that opportunity.

That latino flavour comment is interesting coming from Carver. I would have liked to tell him to get MLSE to fork over the $ to hook up a DirecTv system in Mo's lounge and get him to watch TyC Sports (Argentinian sports channel) to look at all of the cheap talent that can be found not only on the big teams (Boca, River, Velez...), but also the small teams and 2nd division teams too. That way Mo can travel there when he's ready with his list of players

olegunnar
08-07-2008, 08:50 AM
Media exposure is a totally valid issue (as is the Turf). Look at Edu as an example, the guy's a US media whore and would probably be an even bigger star if he played for NYRB or the Galaxy because of their media exposure on US national tv.

I agree to an extent.
There seem to be a lot of reports where players say they want to play in America, rather than they want to play in MLS.
I think the media machine down south is a factor (not the only one, but a factor).

Canadian Blue
08-07-2008, 08:55 AM
The major issue is that the MLS salaries as too low for a player to actually want to live in an overpriced city like Toronto. That is why getting british players that basically double their bank account by moving to Canada is more of an option....

boban
08-07-2008, 08:58 AM
I agree to an extent.
There seem to be a lot of reports where players say they want to play in America, rather than they want to play in MLS.
I think the media machine down south is a factor (not the only one, but a factor).
If you go to Europe you will notice that people over there generalize Canada with US. So when they say 'America' it doesn't really mean USA but rather the continent.

arbogast
08-07-2008, 09:06 AM
If you go to Europe you will notice that people over there generalize Canada with US. So when they say 'America' it doesn't really mean USA but rather the continent.

Ahh, like they lump us together. I laways got the impression Canada doesn't even register, like we don't even exist.

kitchener-TFC
08-07-2008, 11:31 AM
The proof is that they were taking the GO with average Joe. Do you think they could do that in England if he was a manager of a Club?
:canada:It proves that Mo/Carver are regular people, who don't necessarily need to be flown to games.

Baggio2TFC
08-07-2008, 08:20 PM
Just to let you know, this guy is telling the truth. My co worker was sitting next to Carver as well, and told me the same things as on here, plus he took a video with his phone(don't ask me why)!

ExiledRed
08-07-2008, 09:40 PM

Proof is in the pudding, he's kicking arse for the Olympic squad right now, as is Marvell.

VPjr
08-08-2008, 12:16 AM
The major issue is that the MLS salaries as too low for a player to actually want to live in an overpriced city like Toronto. That is why getting british players that basically double their bank account by moving to Canada is more of an option....

that's right...because NYC, LA, Boston and Chicago are such bargain basement cities.

Trust me....for a very large city, Toronto is not overpriced. London is expensive, Paris is Expensive, Tokyo is EXPENSIVE.

ask yourself this....would a footballer from South America rather live in Kansas City or Toronto? Columbus or Toronto?

The kind of players we NEED will be paid more the sufficiently to afford to live in Toronto...Toronto might be too expensive for a Dev player but someone making $150K and up will be able to live just fine in Toronto.