PDA

View Full Version : Mark Delgado Appreciation Thread

ensco
01-21-2022, 06:56 PM
Marky came here as a very minor piece in the puzzle, a guy most everyone passed over in the Chivas dispersal draft.

It took him a long time to earn regular minutes.

Then he had to become a starter.

He was a regular starter in the greatest midfield in the league, and the greatest team in MLS history.

He was superb in TFC's 2018 CCL run. Absolutely a rock.

There were better midfielders in MLS, but Mark was very solid. He rarely got outhustled and rarely made mistakes.

Greg Vanney knew him from the Chivas academy, brought him here, and it seems fitting. I am glad for him that he is going home, and that they will continue to grow together.

What a player. It's just business, but sad to see him go. You come to love these guys.

ensco
01-21-2022, 06:58 PM
https://twitter.com/MarkyDelgado/status/1484637508730163201?s=20

jloome
01-21-2022, 07:01 PM
Just a great shuttler at his best, all over the pitch, moving the ball through zones, breaking up plays, shutting down passing lanes.

Auzzy
01-22-2022, 12:30 AM
Mark was one guy who would keep the ball moving even when most of the team was playing in molasses. He was willing to risk a one-touch pass much more often than other players. High-risk, high-reward: sometimes those passes went awry, but when they connected they were often beautiful. Mark helped to initiate some great plays and great goals via his ball movement and interceptions. (And for the detractors: if Mark could have been perfectly accurate on all his one-touch passes, he would have been in playing in Europe or Mexico a long time ago.)

Let's all remember that TFC's cup-winning goal started with a Mark Delgado interception off Clint Dempsey & pass to Drew Moor, all in one sweet touch. Relive it in all its glory at 3:54 of the following video.

Thanks Mark!!!

WWWEErdA2EQ

Yohan
01-22-2022, 02:24 AM
good player and great servant to the club

SoccMan2
01-22-2022, 01:33 PM
He was a big part of that TFC winning team in 2017 and the run to the finals in the 2018 Champions League . He is the type of player that if you really know this game you really appreciate the little things he did and will continue doing with LAG.

Mr. Inbetween
01-22-2022, 02:53 PM
Losing two of our three workhorses is problematic for me. I believed JO, RL and MD were the workaround shortcut.
A core to any quick hybrid rebuild and turnaround to re-contention for TFC within the next 2/3 years.
Alas... it is not to be...
I echo Yohan, Mark is good player and was a great servant to the club; as are or were the others.
I suspect Mark w/Vanney will get LAG back into the MLS Playoffs this season.

Gringo Starr
01-22-2022, 04:46 PM
I will miss Delgado. Never felt cheated when he was on the pitch. He took care of little things that allowed others to flourish.

Thanks for the memories, thanks for the trophies and Thanks for that star above the crest.

Wish him all the best, I have a hunch his best season are yet to come

Initial B
01-24-2022, 02:39 PM
Best of luck Mark. We'll miss you but when you get the chance to play at home, you take it.

MightyDM
01-24-2022, 10:15 PM
Mark, you deserve a chance to go home - you gave it all here. Well done, and thank you.

Ultra & Proud
01-27-2022, 03:49 PM
During his first few seasons here it seemed he was always pushed out of the starting XI by some new random midfielder on a yearly basis but by the summer would always reclaim his spot. I grew to expect it and he did the job here well for many years.

jabbronies
01-27-2022, 04:03 PM
Marky is the type of player that people overlook. But every winning team has a Marky type player. He's a decent MLS level player that can do a specific job really well. He'll do well with Vanney - and he's only 26. Still has lots of good years ahead of him.

los sonadores
02-02-2022, 02:54 AM
Fine and under appreciated player. Vanney understood how to use him and maybe, given his age when he arrived here, shaped his game. A bit of acquisition luck for Vanney in LA. Delgado will make them better. It was a pleasure watching him play much more often than not.