PDA

View Full Version : Noonan Signed By Revs, and Traded To The Crew

BakaGaijin
08-06-2008, 02:41 PM
........and for a draft pick and allocation.........

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2008/08/noonan-signed-b.html#more

S_D
08-06-2008, 02:49 PM
Swapping allocation order places is interesting. I wonder what/who they think may be coming to the MLS.

Interesting read on what is happening to the red bulls too with all of their recent signings. I wonder how they can pull off that many and we are having problems getting 2.

DigzTFC!
08-06-2008, 02:56 PM
They gave up more for him than SJ gave for Huckerby. Thats a bad trade for Columbus and I think any striker coming from the Revs will have an inflated value. Everybody scores in the Revs system

invictusTFC
08-06-2008, 03:28 PM
They gave up more for him than SJ gave for Huckerby. Thats a bad trade for Columbus and I think any striker coming from the Revs will have an inflated value. Everybody scores in the Revs system

I still think he'd look good in TFC red. He was a proven scorer in this league. At this point in their careers I'd take him over Dickov.

DigzTFC!
08-06-2008, 03:32 PM
True I'd like a younger striker. But at that price plus 250K a year for 8 goals a season (his average over 5 years with the Revs on a great team)....I think its too much.

arbogast
08-06-2008, 03:33 PM
Swapping allocation order places is interesting. I wonder what/who they think may be coming to the MLS.

Interesting read on what is happening to the red bulls too with all of their recent signings. I wonder how they can pull off that many and we are having problems getting 2.

hmmm a foreign national looking to play abroad...gets the chance to play in New York or cough...Toronto?

Let's face it we barely register as a destination city around the world, nevermind as a footballing centre.

Fiin
08-06-2008, 06:43 PM
Noonan woulda looked great in BMO red... I was beside myself seeing this this afternoon..

Losing... faith... in... Scottish.... playboy...

ag futbol
08-06-2008, 07:45 PM
hmmm a foreign national looking to play abroad...gets the chance to play in New York or cough...Toronto?

Let's face it we barely register as a destination city around the world, nevermind as a footballing centre.
Not that i don't agree, but on the other end of the scale there are a fair number of cities in MLS that look a lot crappier than Toronto. A few of which have done a decent job attracting talent.

For a lot of these guys playing in MLS gaurantees: a paycheck (more specifically one that won't bouce when you take the club's money to the bank), a safer environment than the one they currently enjoy.

Not an unrealistic start to grabbing some servicable players, by MLS standards at least.

S_D
08-06-2008, 07:59 PM
yeah look at Columbus, Chicago, NE, Houston... no reason why we can't attract talent. The problem is TFC has been trying to attract OLDER talent that is weary of playing on turf after having knee surgery umpteen times.

ag futbol
08-06-2008, 08:19 PM
yeah look at Columbus, Chicago, NE, Houston... no reason why we can't attract talent. The problem is TFC has been trying to attract OLDER talent that is weary of playing on turf after having knee surgery umpteen times.
That's sort of the thing as well, which i picture might be a problem for a team like LA or NY. What if these guys come in and they get caught up in the lifestyle of living in the city.

Realistically though you can't knock the older players in MLS. Long history of guys like Blanco, Preki, or even Mo Johnston coming in and dominating. However, you have to find guys who are going to translate well with age. Jaime Moreno is a good example of that.

I'd completely advocate having a younger team though.

S_D
08-06-2008, 08:28 PM
I don't have a problem with older guys at all. Just onesd with a large history of injuries. Blanco Mo and Preki, they weren't falling apart at the seams like for instance Huckerby (sp?). If I remember correctly he was getting shots on the sidelines in England to relieve the pain so he could play the second half last season.

We don't need players like that. There has to be another JP Angel wallowing on a European prem team depth chart somewhere who doesn't have a chance in hell of playing but has the potential to light up the MLS.

ExiledRed
08-06-2008, 09:23 PM
We don't need players like that.

The guys a diamond signing for SJ, and he's scoring goals. He's not taking pain shots right now (I believe Jimmy did that at one point last season?) and he's giving SJ new life. We could use a player like Hucks right now, and it's silly to deny it.