PDA

View Full Version : MLS Playoff 2021 Thread

OgtheDim
11-07-2021, 08:50 PM
So, the storylines are in & MLS is weird again

West

Both LA teams out

Colorado top of the West gets an automatic birth into CCL next year.

Vancouver gets in, plays SKC

Seattle drops to second

East

NER loses at home twice to crappy teams - us & Miami - showing how much Arena cares about the season - has to play one of NYC or Atlanta in the second round - I'm predicting an upset right there

CBus out, DCU out, Montreal out

NYC gets another chance to win a home playoff game but this time doesn't face us

Nashville looks beatable

The 2 hot teams going into the playoffs?

NYRB & Vancouver

Matches are in 2 weeks after the international break

MikeForbes
11-07-2021, 10:00 PM
Go Vancouver. I like watching them play.

jloome
11-07-2021, 11:56 PM
Go Vancouver. I like watching them play.

They have recruited well. Gauld, Dajome, Caicedo, White, all good value for money. I thought Dos Santos had already turned it around via Gauld but Sartini does seem an excellent motivator. Same resume as Perez, basically, all youth dev up until now, first for the Calcio then the U.S. program.

Yohan
11-08-2021, 02:23 AM
Dump some money in front of Robin Fraser. He can't be on a high salary. What he's done with Rapids is good.

Blindside16
11-08-2021, 03:44 AM
I hope Vancouver moves on but I think SKC drops 3 on them. Just my gut feeling. Funny enough the game I am most looking forward too, if it happens is Minnesota Colorado

gracos
11-08-2021, 03:50 AM
cannot be bothered watching other teams play, i will be back to watch Canadian Championship then out until next season

PizzaEatingYeti
11-08-2021, 05:23 AM
cannot be bothered watching other teams play, i will be back to watch Canadian Championship then out until next season

Same for me!

OgtheDim
11-08-2021, 07:16 AM
I used to think that & for much of this season I just couldn't.

I enjoy seeing how the rest of the league operates & does things - provides perspective for our woes.

SoccMan2
11-08-2021, 09:19 AM
I’ll watch the playoffs , Vancouver is a nice story a team with a new coach and very interesting coach at that ,coming into the season past the midway point and doing really well and guiding them to the playoffs. Moreover, some of the most crazy and exciting games I’ve watched over the years have been MLS playoff games with that Montreal Toronto series being one of the most exciting one. However, there have been others too over the years , anyways to each his own but I’ll be watching and looking forward to them.

OgtheDim
11-08-2021, 09:52 PM
Playoff schedule out

https://www.mlssoccer.com/competitions/mls-cup-playoffs/2021/schedule/

Rumour has it the Vancouver game will be on at the same time as the Voyageurs final.

OgtheDim
11-18-2021, 07:15 AM
Weekend Predicts

Sat

NYRB @ Philly 2:38pm

Energy drinks have been on a run to get into the playoffs...but the 2 weeks off time blunts that a bit. Philly has a bad playoff record. I'm going for the upset here. 3-2 NYRB

Vancouver @ SKC 5:08pm

See above but I think SKC gets it done. 2-0 for SKC

Sunday

Atl @ NYC 3:08pm

Atlanta is fragile - nobody is scared of them. NYC seems quietly confident. In that barn box, NYC should get get it done. 2-1 NYC

Min @ Portland 5:38

2 underwhelming teams playing for the right to go to Colorado to get beat in the cold. Most likely game to go to pens. Portland wins on those

MikeForbes
11-18-2021, 08:23 AM
I'll take Philly, Vancouver, NYCFC and Portland in those matchups.

OgtheDim
11-18-2021, 06:40 PM
FYI

Based on what I just heard from a shipping company we deal with, the Whitecaps may have issues the next few months getting in & out via planes.

OgtheDim
11-20-2021, 06:22 PM
MLS - 120 minutes of cruddy football ended by a 30 yard screamer by a CB

https://twitter.com/MLS/status/1462182522616434692

SoccMan2
11-21-2021, 04:52 PM
Call me crazy but I’m actually liking this NYCF Yankee stadium atmosphere, ya it’s a crazy set up for soccer at Yankee Stadium but it’s working today in terms of atmosphere.

Amir.
11-21-2021, 05:30 PM
nycfc as expected defeats atlanta who did great to just get in the playoffs after their start to the season

St. Clair getting the start for Minnesota with Miller out...nows the time to step up Dayne

Auzzy
11-21-2021, 05:42 PM
I avoided this thread until I could watch the Vancouver - KC highlights. Vancouver lost as expected but nobody even mentioned it here, LOL.

Too bad, I was ready to root for Vancouver for a bit.

Amir.
11-21-2021, 06:05 PM
and minnesota score 11 minutes in...they have a great record vs portland

Amir.
11-21-2021, 06:37 PM
mabiala equalizes just before the break

Amir.
11-21-2021, 07:03 PM
blanco scores one minute into the second half

OgtheDim
11-21-2021, 07:18 PM
Call me crazy but I’m actually liking this NYCF Yankee stadium atmosphere, ya it’s a crazy set up for soccer at Yankee Stadium but it’s working today in terms of atmosphere.

Any playoff game in Yankee stadium is an event - its just different & has been since the old yard before this one.

Amir.
11-21-2021, 07:23 PM
blanco what a strike...3-1...20 to go

Amir.
11-21-2021, 07:55 PM
Nothing special from st clair...four shots on target from portland and three scored...Portland advance and will face Colorado

Amir.
11-23-2021, 07:49 PM
getting ready to go for nashville vs orlando...johnston starting akindele on the bench...lots of quality on orlando...nani and pato on the bench...time for pareja to step up and take them far

Amir.
11-23-2021, 08:38 PM
dike scores off a corner...orlando up after 14

Amir.
11-23-2021, 08:45 PM
mukhtar equalizes a few minutes later...this is a good one

Amir.
11-23-2021, 09:58 PM
mukhtar does it again...2-1 with fifteen to go

OgtheDim
11-23-2021, 10:00 PM
Orlando is as bad as deeking around the penalty area without shooting as we are

Amir.
11-23-2021, 10:08 PM
akindele subs in and misses a big chance

Amir.
11-23-2021, 10:10 PM
akindele subs in and misses a big chance

hes probably done with orlando

Amir.
11-23-2021, 10:16 PM
3-1 bye bye orlando

Amir.
11-23-2021, 10:21 PM
on to seattle rsl...big news is rusnak tested positive and is out...morgan on the bench for rsl and ruidiaz and lodeiro on the bench for seattle

Amir.
11-24-2021, 01:15 AM
morgan enters in the second half of extra time for rsl

Amir.
11-24-2021, 01:28 AM
pks coming...smells like an upset

tfcfans
11-24-2021, 01:39 AM
Yay RSL !!

Amir.
11-24-2021, 01:40 AM
And there it is Ashtone Morgan and RSL knock Seattle out

tfcfans
11-24-2021, 01:40 AM
RSL pulls a Seattle 2016 MLS Cup — zero shots.....anyone else cheering for NE to lose so that the whole “best team ever” talk moves on for another year and that 2017 remains the pinnacle? As without the “double” at least, all supporters shields points records since then, have ended with, but they didn’t win MLS Cup.....

OgtheDim
11-24-2021, 07:30 AM
Really neat to Seattle get Seattle'd in Seattle.

Auzzy
11-24-2021, 08:09 AM

Ha you beat me to it, that's exactly what I came on here to say!

This was pretty extreme (and funny):

Seattle - RSL stats:
62 - 38% possession
21 - 0 shots (Holy crap, I thought I saw some RSL attempts in the highlights?)
3 - 0 shots on goal
711 - 461 passes
16 - 1 corners
39 - 7 crosses

Too bad, you can't leave comments on the MLS website anymore, I was ready with something snarky...

Oldtimer
11-24-2021, 08:13 AM

Schadenfreude. Seattle created this anti-football model in 2016. Seems appropriate that they get taken down the same way. Their fanbase better not complain!

ag futbol
11-24-2021, 09:08 AM
RSL pulls a Seattle 2016 MLS Cup — zero shots.....anyone else cheering for NE to lose so that the whole “best team ever” talk moves on for another year and that 2017 remains the pinnacle? As without the “double” at least, all supporters shields points records since then, have ended with, but they didn’t win MLS Cup.....
Yeah. I have a hard time thinking NER is the best ever despite their points total. It’s a lob-sided team in attack that’s fun to watch but I would otherwise say they are benefitting from a pretty mediocre league this year.

Think if it was more competitive they’d be exposed for a lack of balance thought out the squad.

BritSOL
11-24-2021, 03:39 PM

Checking out some the Sounders forums, they really don’t like losing this way and feel it’s not right. blah blah blah KARMA etc

Big complaint is RSL playing for a draw over 120 mins and hoping for a penalty shoot out win

benito
11-24-2021, 04:15 PM
Checking out some the Sounders forums, they really don’t like losing this way and feel it’s not right. blah blah blah KARMA etc

Big complaint is RSL playing for a draw over 120 mins and hoping for a penalty shoot out win

I completely agree with the them. Can they give back the cup they won?

Amir.
11-25-2021, 04:12 PM
kaye starting for colorado vs portland at 4:30 eastern

Amir.
11-25-2021, 06:56 PM
mabiala scores in the 90th minute to give portland the win...the dream is over for kaye moor irwin beitashour warner fraser

PizzaEatingYeti
11-26-2021, 04:30 AM
Before the playoffs started, I said to myself that I won't waste my time watching any matches since our team is out, but maybe just the final. I decided 2 hours before match start to still watch this one.

Kaye had an average game... Was substituted about 15-20 mins before the 90th minute.

This said, Colorado had a pretty dull game, with a truckload of crossings, and it was very evident that they badly need a game changer, or at least a poacher, which they do not have.
Anyways, first half was all Colorado, at the end of which they should have been up at least with 1 goal, but in the second half Portland was a lot better, with lot more clearer chances.

It was a deserved qualification for Portland? Hard to say... maybe 60% to 40% it was on merit, for what they have done in the second half.
But at the end I think the value difference of the two lots had a say in the result (Colorado has the lowest total team salary, and I don't think it's a coincidence), plus the incomparable more experience of Portland in these kinds of matches.

ensco
11-26-2021, 07:42 AM
So Ashtone Morgan is last man standing carrying the flag for us now. I see he got into the game the other night. Nice.

(I also am cheering for Nashville and Alastair Johnson, for obvious reasons. I have become completely smitten by that player. We have to pay whatever it takes to get him in here.

Love Tajon too but cannot root for Revs. Too many games on that shitty turf over the years. I just want him out of their before he gets injured.)

OgtheDim
11-28-2021, 08:00 AM
RSL @ SKC

RSL may try to "Seattle" SKC but SKC will get it done.

Nashville @ Philly

Man, this game could be real ugly to watch. Philly should come out of it as they are more consistent defensively right now.

Nashville vs. RSL in the final would be boring as heck.

Amir.
11-28-2021, 02:09 PM
these are not conference finals but semis...winner of skc rsl faces portland and winner of philadelphia nashville faces winner of new england nycfc

spe18
11-28-2021, 04:10 PM
If you have access to TSN direct streaming, looks like one of the (bonus) streams is without commentators in the SKC-RSL game.

The sounds coming from the supporters section sounds so natural!

spe18
11-28-2021, 04:36 PM
Of course just as soon as I mention it, looks like that stream with no commentators has disappeared :(

Amir.
11-28-2021, 05:22 PM
Rsl does it again bobby wood 91st minute...they are going to the conference finals

jloome
11-28-2021, 05:58 PM
Rsl does it again bobby wood 91st minute...they are going to the conference finals

Wood spent most of the season with their USL team, didn't he? I thought he was done. Guess not!

Amir.
11-28-2021, 06:17 PM
nope it was just one game in october...his level is way above usl

Amir.
11-28-2021, 06:32 PM
mukhtar does it again!!! 1-0 nashville in the first half

Amir.
11-28-2021, 06:40 PM
gazdag equalizes right before the break

jloome
11-28-2021, 07:20 PM
nope it was just one game in october...his level is way above usl
His level was way above USL five or six years ago, before repeated injuries in Germany took his speed.

He had 3 goals in 19 games for RSL this year, so I wouldn't say he's "way" above USL now; I imagine there are a few USL strikers who could do better than that in MLS.

He also only got seven starts, which doesn't suggest he's considered a starter any more.

jloome
11-28-2021, 07:26 PM
Wow, I really thought Nashville would dominate Philly but it's been very even so far. Nashville looks one mistake away from giving up a lead.

Amir.
11-28-2021, 07:29 PM
except its not all about scoring...in germany he was very rarely a high scorer but lasted a long time in the top two tiers and always got contracts...gotta pay attention to his play and what he does...and that goal he scored today a usl player isnt scoring...the movement the run the finish and in such a big game...beautiful...still 1-1 late in the philly nashville game

Amir.
11-28-2021, 07:49 PM
going to extra time in philadelphia

jloome
11-28-2021, 08:21 PM
and that goal he scored today a usl player isnt scoring

That goal today Bobby Wood isn't usually scoring, or about 90% of the strikers in football, 90% of the time. It was a side foot chip, incredibly lucky.

He was pretty prolific when he was younger. He may have stuck in Germany for his all around play but at one point he was a 17-goal scorer, which is why he got the look. After he cooled off, he became a bench player, a substitute who rarely starts, and that includes in the second division in Germany.

Also, don't sell the USL too short. At one point Christian Ramirez and Chris Wondolowski were both plying their trade at that level (Wondo was actually NPSL, which was even lower) because they couldn't get a sniff in MLS. I'd take either of them over Bobby Wood six ways to Sunday.

Amir.
11-28-2021, 08:32 PM
only had one season of ten goals or above in the league and it was that season...was there before and after...lol when its to fit an argument its incredibly lucky...right...ramirez and wondolowski were there in their early or college years...never looked back after that...now in penalties...wow nashville miss their first three

Amir.
11-28-2021, 08:32 PM
oh my zimmerman missed the fourth and philly advances...did they practice kicks enough??? think the answer is clear

jloome
11-28-2021, 08:47 PM
only had one season of ten goals or above in the league and it was that season...was there before and after...lol when its to fit an argument its incredibly lucky...right...ramirez and wondolowski were there in their early or college years...never looked back after that...now in penalties...wow nashville miss their first three

They both spent a full season at that level but your argument was that no one in the USL could finish like that, not "no USL lifer" could finish it. But I guess that's different "when it fits an argument."

Bobby Wood is a washed up b-grade striker. US Nats fans have been arguing that for years, and they're right.

If it wasn't "incredibly lucky" and he's a lethal finisher, perhaps you can explain how he had three goals in 19 appearances this season... or one fewer than Jozy, who has barely played. But hey... when it fits an argument...

Also, all but two of those seasons were in the 2.Bundesliga, not the Bundesliga. In the Bundesliga, he had seven goals in 52 games. But I guess all that other stuff he was doing made up for the lack of scoring.

Over-rated, then injured and lost a gear, now a backup in Salt Lake. But he meant to pick out that corner, side foot, at speed, from an acute angle wide of the post, without any help from luck whatsoever.

Sure.

He's an Ali Curtis DP or TAM deal in waiting.

Amir.
11-28-2021, 09:01 PM
except hes already on dp or tam level money...and just showed why putting his team in the conference final

so it will be the winner of new england vs nycfc facing philadelphia in the east and portland vs rsl in the west

next game is new england vs nycfc tuesday night

OgtheDim
11-30-2021, 07:21 AM
NER finally plays a playoff game tonight - that situation is just ridiculous.

613reppingTFC
11-30-2021, 08:59 AM
Yeah i'm surprised this wasn't actually the first conference semi-final played this round. why have them the last to play and two days after all the others. I mean to that point they also haven't kicked a ball in over 3 weeks, so the rest is good, but no games is going to be a big disadvantage.

ensco
11-30-2021, 09:24 AM
Something about the playoffs just feels completely off. I don’t know if it's this absurd scheduling, or RSL, or Philly getting through two games on PKs… none of it seems like growth or progress, it all feels very 2008.

jabbronies
11-30-2021, 10:15 AM
Something about the playoffs just feels completely off. I don’t know if it's this absurd scheduling, or RSL, or Philly getting through two games on PKs… none of it seems like growth or progress, it all feels very 2008.

The scheduling doesn't help. Kills the momentum. Playoffs are suppose to be a sprint to the finish. This feels like a light jog. Plus the games are shit. So it feels even longer

JonO
11-30-2021, 12:01 PM
I think the home/away format is being missed. If I recall correctly, this is only the third year since the format change and last year was a mess in general, so we are only really feeling it now. I would be okay with few teams making the playoffs and going back to the 2-leg format.

jloome
11-30-2021, 12:28 PM

Yes... it's almost as if cup brackets should start earlier in the year, be separate from the league and not be how they pick a winner versus a grueling 34 game schedule or something.

Perhaps, one day, a league somewhere will figure out how to hold a cup competition that matters simultaneous to the season and reward the season winner as the actual deserving winner.

Crazy talk.

jabbronies
11-30-2021, 12:43 PM
Yes... it's almost as if cup brackets should start earlier in the year, be separate from the league and not be how they pick a winner versus a grueling 34 game schedule or something.

Perhaps, one day, a league somewhere will figure out how to hold a cup competition that matters simultaneous to the season and reward the season winner as the actual deserving winner.

Crazy talk.

Hot take - not thought through at all, but:

Maybe the Season rewards you the Supporters Shield and a spot in the MLS Cup Final. You play against the winner of the Cup Tournament (or 2nd place team if you also win the Cup Tournament as well)

Gringo Starr
11-30-2021, 01:18 PM
I like that idea except how does the SS winner stay in game shape waiting for the tournament winner

ag futbol
11-30-2021, 02:18 PM
Or MLS adopts an actual MLB, Liga Mx, style playoff that is actually the best-of-the-best and stopped including half the league and a large number of teams who realistically shouldn’t be there.

I’m not a huge fan of the slow burn of league play producing a champion, often in fairly anticlimactic fashion. But this isn’t the way to do things either.

noxx98
11-30-2021, 02:58 PM
I like what Belgium does where they take the top four teams from the regular season to the playoffs. Regular season points are cut in half and each team plays a home and away game against the other playoff teams and they add those points to the halved regular season points. Places value on the regular season, but also highly values how you perform against the other top teams in the playoffs.

Amir.
11-30-2021, 08:13 PM
1-1 after ten minutes with tajon starting...its a good one

SoccMan2
11-30-2021, 08:14 PM
The scheduling doesn't help. Kills the momentum. Playoffs are suppose to be a sprint to the finish. This feels like a light jog. Plus the games are shit. So it feels even longer
Games are shit , are you even watching ? Probably not , yes I want the two leg playoff format back , the best team usually wins in a two legged format , but the games have not been shit .

Amir.
11-30-2021, 09:23 PM
new england sleeping and nyc getting very close

Amir.
11-30-2021, 09:42 PM
time for subs for new england...still none after 85

Amir.
11-30-2021, 09:44 PM
johnson close to making a blunder late

Amir.
11-30-2021, 09:51 PM
going to extra time

Amir.
11-30-2021, 10:19 PM
nyc score at the 109th minute...no surprise...arena gotta send on any offensive players he has...bunbury boatend send them on

Amir.
11-30-2021, 10:22 PM
lol castellanos gets a second yellow and will miss the conference final if they advance

Amir.
11-30-2021, 10:24 PM
nyc score at the 109th minute...no surprise...arena gotta send on any offensive players he has...bunbury boatend send them on

indeed both come on

jloome
11-30-2021, 10:26 PM
lol castellanos gets a second yellow and will miss the conference final if they advance

And Tajon makes them pay.

Amir.
11-30-2021, 10:27 PM
Tajon does it 2-2

Amir.
11-30-2021, 10:28 PM
Wow great job tajon

SoccMan2
11-30-2021, 10:34 PM
Man these playoffs are shit eh?

Amir.
11-30-2021, 10:34 PM
going to penalties

Amir.
11-30-2021, 10:36 PM
gotta believe arena made them practice a lot of spot kicks

Amir.
11-30-2021, 10:41 PM
johnson saves buksa...nyc is up

Amir.
11-30-2021, 10:43 PM
nyc have scored four and its almost over

Amir.
callens to finish it

tfcfans
....and still the greatest team in MLS history....2017 TFC......

Amir.
11-30-2021, 10:44 PM
and he does...nycfc gets the well deserved win...bye bye tajon off to belgium

Bushmancan
11-30-2021, 10:44 PM
There is something so satisfying about watching a Boston fan cry.

Amir.
11-30-2021, 10:48 PM
Conference finals are set

Philadelphia vs NYCFC

Portland vs RSL

ashtone morgan might win another mls cup before tfc lol

OgtheDim
11-30-2021, 10:51 PM
So the final is either on turf in a converted baseball stadium, or in a baseball stadium or in Chester PA.

OgtheDim
11-30-2021, 10:51 PM
That was a good game tonight.

MLS playoff chaos rules

spe18
11-30-2021, 11:07 PM
NER finally plays a playoff game tonight - that situation is just ridiculous.

I just noticed the New England Patriots played at home this weekend (I didn't pay attention to any NFL games this weekend), so that's probably why.

spe18
11-30-2021, 11:52 PM
Games are shit , are you even watching ? Probably not , yes I want the two leg playoff format back , the best team usually wins in a two legged format , but the games have not been shit .

Especially when you consider that I believe 3 games have gone to penalties (and the ones that have, teams have had chances to win it extra time, but just haven't been able to finish the deal!). And at least 2 by my count that have been decided in the dying minutes of 2nd half/extra time stoppage time!!

I'd take this over the way European leagues decide their champions!

ensco
12-01-2021, 12:38 AM
Best possible outcome for Canada. Tajon did his job, didn’t get hurt, and now he is 100% done with that surface.

Canary10
12-01-2021, 09:46 AM
Best possible outcome for Canada. Tajon did his job, didn’t get hurt, and now he is 100% done with that surface.

When does he head to Europe? January?

CorrwgBach
12-01-2021, 01:42 PM

He was on loan from Bruges to NE this season, so perhaps now.

Blindside16
12-02-2021, 03:00 AM

He is going to join them once the January window opens

Amir.
12-04-2021, 06:55 PM
alright here we go for portland rsl...morgan the last canadian alive is on the bench

Amir.
12-04-2021, 07:16 PM
five minutes in mora scores

OgtheDim
12-04-2021, 07:41 PM
Happy to see that - not a fan of Pablo ball.

OgtheDim
12-04-2021, 08:31 PM
Just saw on twitter the last time one of either Portland or Seattle were not in the MLS cup final, Defoe was on the TFC roster.

Amir.
12-04-2021, 08:54 PM
portland is going to mls cup and will host it

OgtheDim
12-04-2021, 09:12 PM
I really like the fact MLS teams have foregone the NHL's & NFL's 'we don't want to show we actually care about winning this conference thing" approach & full on celebrate the fact they are going to the final.

Yeh, losing the cup final suks but getting there is a thing.

Oldtimer
12-05-2021, 04:04 AM
RSL's imitation of 2016-2017 Seattle style anti-football finally gets what it deserves as the Portland Timbers blank them 2-0 to advance to hosting the MLS Cup final.

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/report/_/gameId/622134

PizzaEatingYeti
12-05-2021, 08:09 AM
I think Portland is a strong fav to win the MLS Cup, no matter who they will play from the Eastern Conference.

If I would be a bookie, I would give odds of -140 to -150 for Portland to win the Cup, and odds of +130 to +140 for the Eastern Conference Champs to win the Cup.

ensco
12-05-2021, 10:49 AM
Poor Philly. I genuinely feel sorry for them and their fans.

jloome
12-05-2021, 11:47 AM
Poor Philly. I genuinely feel sorry for them and their fans.

They're still in it? They play NYFC at 3 pm. today.

Amir.
12-05-2021, 12:28 PM
apparently got 11 players out with protocols...just signed three including TT player ranjitsingh

jloome
12-05-2021, 01:29 PM
apparently got 11 players out with protocols...just signed three including TT player ranjitsingh
Jesus h.

OgtheDim
12-05-2021, 03:14 PM
Old man Collin in the back line for them....

ensco
12-05-2021, 03:51 PM
NYCFC with repeated dirty tackles and mostly not getting penalized for it.

Bushmancan
12-05-2021, 05:34 PM
League will want NYCFC to win, but enemy of my enemy is my friend. Go Portland!

MikeForbes
12-05-2021, 06:12 PM
That's just brutal for Philly to have that happen right before the biggest game of their season. I do think the Timbers/NYCFC game could be fun though.

Auzzy
12-06-2021, 01:39 AM
Wow how awful for Philly. what a gut punch. For a significant part of the game, Philly had the better or at least equal chances. (NYC slightly ahead in shots and shots on goal looking at the complete game stats.) Philly did well considering how many players they were missing. Especially the goalie, who normally doesn't get a chance to play. For NYC to score the winning goal in the last few minutes, absolutely brutal.

I really liked the two-legged playoff format more. Would also help in a situation like tonight.

OgtheDim
12-06-2021, 07:20 AM
Anti-fa Timber's Army

vs.

the team that has let Proud boys flourish within their supporter groups

https://twitter.com/GlennCrooks/status/1467632104464953345

OgtheDim
12-07-2021, 10:31 PM
Timber fans discovering what its like to not get tickets to a cup final in their own stadium while watching people scalp league/sponser seats.

NEWBIES!!!

Red CB Toronto
12-08-2021, 03:55 PM
Timber fans discovering what its like to not get tickets to a cup final in their own stadium while watching people scalp league/sponser seats.

NEWBIES!!!

We were certainly taken care of with tickets to the final at BMO. I had 12 tickets at one point, worked out well.

Redcoe15
12-11-2021, 12:01 PM
anti-fa timber's army

vs.

The team that has let proud boys flourish within their supporter groups

https://twitter.com/glenncrooks/status/1467632104464953345

C'mon you Timbers! Wipe that baby blue filth off the face of the map!!!

jloome
12-11-2021, 01:20 PM
C'mon you Timbers! Wipe that baby blue filth off the face of the map!!!

If NYFC wins do they get the traditional ticker tape in NYC, or would that lead to too many cabbies simultaneously screaming "Get out of the road, ya freakin' morons!"

Initial B
12-11-2021, 03:20 PM
This is ridiculous - The MLS Cup final is being bumped for a college basketball game on TSN1 and ABC. :mad5:

ensco
12-11-2021, 03:26 PM
This is a joke. What an embarrassment

jloome
12-11-2021, 03:29 PM
This is a joke. What an embarrassment

Kickoff appears to have been bumped to the half hour, according to MLS.com

Oldtimer
12-11-2021, 03:29 PM
Maybe they we filling in with basketball because the match was delayed.

Or maybe the match was delayed because of a random women's basketball match? That would show how far down the priority list MLS is for ABC.

ensco
12-11-2021, 03:31 PM
MLS have to pull the game from ABC forever after this. This can’t happen.

ensco
12-11-2021, 03:35 PM
Just looking now. Some epic Twitter reactions.

jloome
12-11-2021, 03:40 PM
Just looking now. Some epic Twitter reactions.

I'm watching a Euro rebroadcast and the players are about to come out.

Oldtimer
12-11-2021, 04:01 PM
Great atmosphere in Portland.

ensco
12-11-2021, 04:17 PM
Game reminds me of the 2019 Cup.

NYCFC, like TFC, with more quality possession, Portland, like Seattle, playing the counter, and looking dangerous when they do.

OgtheDim
12-11-2021, 04:29 PM
My internet has been lagging & skipping bits - not really missing anything though.

When the biggest highlight is how many kms players run.

This playoffs has been grim.

Amir.
12-11-2021, 04:34 PM
moralez what a free kick for castellanos head and its 1-0

ag futbol
12-11-2021, 04:37 PM
Bit of a lousy one to let though but is wet out there and the defence completely blew their assessments

ensco
12-11-2021, 04:39 PM
Bit of a lousy one to let though but is wet out there and the defence completely blew their assessments

NYCFC got what we needed in 2019- a bit of a break, a reward for their possession on the road.

(I never really let go of the idea that we should have three Cups and that CCL trophy.)

OgtheDim
12-11-2021, 04:43 PM
Apparently the fans around the guy who threw the beer can outed him within seconds & the guy was out of the stadium within 5 minutes.

OgtheDim
12-11-2021, 04:52 PM
Always get a tidbit or two out of Garber at half time when its Twellman asking the questions.

a) season ends earlier next year due to WC

b) Vegas (likely) announced in spring - stadium off the strip being the piece that will clinch it

ensco
12-11-2021, 04:58 PM
Apparently the fans around the guy who threw the beer can outed him within seconds & the guy was out of the stadium within 5 minutes.

There were three cans in the air in that one clip they showed.

ag futbol
12-11-2021, 05:01 PM
I love how all these MLS officials talk themselves into the idea that a game without yellow cards is a well officiated one.

Forget that players recognize this and it all devolves into an unappealing hack fest

OgtheDim
12-11-2021, 05:19 PM
Asking Mark Clattenberg about quality game management... :facepalm:

jloome
12-11-2021, 05:19 PM
I love how all these MLS officials talk themselves into the idea that a game without yellow cards is a well officiated one.

Forget that players recognize this and it all devolves into an unappealing hack fest

The Guardian in the UK is live-commenting on the game. The comment was something like "in the early polls on what the threshhold for "getting away with it" would be, the apparent winner is clearly 'murder'."

ensco
12-11-2021, 05:36 PM
We all know NYCFC are only in this game because they didn’t have to face TFC in the playoffs.

OgtheDim
12-11-2021, 05:41 PM
Never thought I'd here the NYC fans over the Timber's army at an MLS cup final in Portland but...there we go.

Gringo Starr
12-11-2021, 05:43 PM
Probably the happiest I’ve been to see a non TFC goal

Bushmancan
12-11-2021, 05:44 PM
If you aren’t watching … turn it on!!!

Amir.
12-11-2021, 05:44 PM
wowwww mora scores at the last second

ag futbol
12-11-2021, 05:46 PM
NYCFC are simply the worst. Bunch of dirty, overrated cry-babies

Edit: hate to say it but that looks like a foul to me. Clear elbow to the head.

ensco
12-11-2021, 05:54 PM
NYCFC are simply the worst. Bunch of dirty, overrated cry-babies

Edit: hate to say it but that looks like a foul to me. Clear elbow to the head.

These can both be true.

It's delicious, really

OgtheDim
12-11-2021, 05:54 PM
Yeh, that's a foul & VAR was a coward there - I think not in Portland, that gets called back.

ag futbol
12-11-2021, 06:03 PM
Yeh, that's a foul & VAR was a coward there - I think not in Portland, that gets called back.
Yeah, agreed. Really that’s on Villarreal for not spotting it immediately and blowing the play dead.

Amir.
12-11-2021, 06:25 PM
on to spot kicks

OgtheDim
12-11-2021, 06:26 PM
I refuse to watch any PK competition....ya'll know why.

Oldtimer
12-11-2021, 06:31 PM
NYCFC deserved it.

It's so tough for the Timbers to lose this way though. We all know why.

Amir.
12-11-2021, 06:32 PM
NYCFC wins MLS CUP 2021...CONGRATS

jloome
12-11-2021, 06:33 PM
Have to feel for Valeri though, such a great career and his last kick is a saved penalty.

OgtheDim
12-11-2021, 06:34 PM
That's so Metro

jloome
12-11-2021, 06:35 PM
Ronnie Delia showing the love for football, right there. The kick goes in and the waterworks start. Have to dig that.

Bushmancan
12-11-2021, 06:40 PM
Johnson was a beast in both the Penalty shoot-outs

Amir.
12-11-2021, 06:40 PM
Valeri is leaving Portland not retiring...he said he has at least a couple years left

gracos
12-11-2021, 06:45 PM
yay, the season is over; NYCFC can enjoy the festivities; now is the time to clean up Mannings mess of a year, if he doesnt get it right he will be gone next

Redcoe15
12-11-2021, 07:36 PM
Fuck the baby blue fascists! That's all I have to say!

ensco
12-11-2021, 11:22 PM
Yeah what an abomination of a season. The New York Proud Boys as champions and Armas on the bench at Manchester United.

At least Montreal didn’t win the title.

Gringo Starr
12-12-2021, 12:51 AM
That fan base, that stadium, that ownership group, just so much to dislike with the new champs.

ensco
12-12-2021, 09:54 AM
This is actually pretty amusing

https://twitter.com/nycfcnation/status/1469818214808911876?s=21