PDA

View Full Version : Voyageurs Semi Final - Pacific @ TFC Wed Nov 3 7:30pm - One Shot

OgtheDim
10-31-2021, 12:04 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2i6kdRuqwM

Opportunity....

Have at It People

MightyDM
10-31-2021, 06:42 PM
I saw Pacific FC play Edmonton and they were terrific. Well organized, a clear system, and a RB who time and again destroyed the Edmonton defence. They could be a handful unless we treat them seriously. On the other hand, you hand to be encouraged by the performance against Atlanta, erratic as it was.

jloome
10-31-2021, 07:27 PM
I saw Pacific FC play Edmonton and they were terrific. Well organized, a clear system, and a RB who time and again destroyed the Edmonton defence. They could be a handful unless we treat them seriously. On the other hand, you hand to be encouraged by the performance against Atlanta, erratic as it was.

I'm reminded of the fact that every time a CPL team has 'upset' or almost upset an MLS team, it has been while playing a weakened team, basically, with numerous starters out.

I've watched a bit of CPL this year and they have enough discipline to make us work for it. But our first-team losing to Pacific would be a travesty. As with York, who supporters and CPL fans thought had a shot, Pacific plays in a league at a lower speed, less intensity, far less close skill, far weaker finishing and less general pressure from key passing.

We will have to have a very bad game indeed to lose this. Like, red card early and injuries bad.

MightyDM
10-31-2021, 07:39 PM
I'm reminded of the fact that every time a CPL team has 'upset' or almost upset an MLS team, it has been while playing a weakened team, basically, with numerous starters out.

I've watched a bit of CPL this year and they have enough discipline to make us work for it. But our first-team losing to Pacific would be a travesty. As with York, who supporters and CPL fans thought had a shot, Pacific plays in a league at a lower speed, less intensity, far less close skill, far weaker finishing and less general pressure from key passing.

We will have to have a very bad game indeed to lose this. Like, red card early and injuries bad.

Yes, the slower speed of play in particular is very noticeable. But they are very organized and even though they lost to York yesterday, look far more like a professional soccer team than the York squad we defeated so easily. We have to take them seriously is all I am saying - and it’s clear that Perez is doing that.

MightyDM
10-31-2021, 07:40 PM

And they beat Vancouver. Just sayin’

OgtheDim
10-31-2021, 09:15 PM
Our team has a lot of institutional memory when it comes to cup games - as does Montreal.

I expect a well disciplined attack with our full squad.

Our weakness against teams of this level remains our defence's ability to create a goal for them out of nothing - until that is resolved, there is always a better chance then say if we were doing this in 2017.

My predicts for the lineup?

Westberg starts

I believe Gonzalez will play with Mavinga with Auro & Laryea.

Midfield will be Bradley, Osorio & Delgado

Attack will be Alitdore, Poz & Shaff.

MikeForbes
11-01-2021, 03:44 PM
Chances Perez comes back if we win the Cup - 40%.

Chances if we lose Wednesday - <0%

Joe Kool
11-01-2021, 04:11 PM
Chances Perez comes back if we win the Cup - 40%.

Chances if we lose Wednesday - <0%

You think that high if we win? I don't think beating a CPL team is the gauge we should use. Now if we lose then he may not even be on the staff next year at all. I know excuses can be made for him that it is not his team and all that but it will come down to the confidence of the management and players in him which can only be assessed behind closed doors I guess. I would not think there was almost any chance of him coming back next year and management will want a fresh start moving away completely from the dumpster fire that this season was.

MikeForbes
11-01-2021, 04:23 PM
You think that high if we win? I don't think beating a CPL team is the gauge we should use. Now if we lose then he may not even be on the staff next year at all. I know excuses can be made for him that it is not his team and all that but it will come down to the confidence of the management and players in him which can only be assessed behind closed doors I guess. I would not think there was almost any chance of him coming back next year and management will want a fresh start moving away completely from the dumpster fire that this season was.

That percentage is if we beat Pacific and Montreal in the final. Losing either one of those games all but seals his fate, IMO.

Richard
11-01-2021, 08:49 PM
Unless there are experienced managers looking to step into this mess it probably makes sense to keep Perez.

At this point our salary mismanagement is so bad you might as well let him manage the kids for another half year until the summer window.

Joe Kool
11-02-2021, 08:10 AM
That percentage is if we beat Pacific and Montreal in the final. Losing either one of those games all but seals his fate, IMO.

Ok sorry I misread your post and thought you said if we win this next game for some reason. Beating Montreal in the cup final would be a much tougher task. I would still be surprised if he is the head coach next year though regardless. That is just my opinion but like always maybe there is a lot more to the situation we don't see behind closed doors.

Graeme
11-02-2021, 09:10 AM
So...any thoughts on the line-up for tomorrow?

I would guess that Osorio, Bradley, Altidore, Pozuelo, Laryea, Shaff, Gonzalez, Auro, Mavinga all start...(unless someone is injured). Delgado too? More Canadians?

Heepster
11-02-2021, 09:50 AM
Weather forecast now showing 'cloudy with showers' and 'feels like' temp in low single digits. I'll make a wild guess that there won't be a large crowd showing up.
https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/hourly-weather-forecast/ontario/south-parkdale

Red CB Toronto
11-02-2021, 11:51 AM
Weather forecast now showing 'cloudy with showers' and 'feels like' temp in low single digits. I'll make a wild guess that there won't be a large crowd showing up.
https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/hourly-weather-forecast/ontario/south-parkdale

I would be surprised if they had more than the 5,026 they had last week against Philly, especially vs a team in Pacific that many people in this city have never even heard of. Looking forward to Wednesday night. Win it and take on the L'impact !

Auzzy
11-02-2021, 11:55 AM
I would be surprised if they had more than the 5,026 they had last week against Philly, especially vs a team in Pacific that many people in this city have never even heard of. Looking forward to Wednesday night. Win it and take on the L'impact !

Woohoo I'm gonna be there! If I can find a ticket, that is. :D :D

OgtheDim
11-03-2021, 05:52 PM
That is the A team out there tonight (well maybe not Gonazalez)

OgtheDim
11-03-2021, 06:10 PM
Our team has a lot of institutional memory when it comes to cup games - as does Montreal.

I expect a well disciplined attack with our full squad.

Our weakness against teams of this level remains our defence's ability to create a goal for them out of nothing - until that is resolved, there is always a better chance then say if we were doing this in 2017.

My predicts for the lineup?

Westberg starts

I believe Gonzalez will play with Mavinga with Auro & Laryea.

Midfield will be Bradley, Osorio & Delgado

Attack will be Alitdore, Poz & Shaff.

YUP!!!!

Luanda
11-03-2021, 06:31 PM
Stream(s)?

MikeForbes
11-03-2021, 06:34 PM
Is there a lot of Twitter whiners complaining about how TFC isn't playing 34 Canadians?

PizzaEatingYeti
11-03-2021, 06:35 PM
Someone has a working livestream to this match?

OgtheDim
11-03-2021, 06:44 PM
Nice to see a network basically point out how crappy the attendance is going to be.

My guess is 3K.

Strangely, I'm up for this game more then any since the season started.

Luanda
11-03-2021, 06:45 PM
http://www.jackstream.net/livestreamhd/football/canada-championship-semifinal/toronto-vs-pacific/20211103/3/

MikeForbes
11-03-2021, 06:50 PM
Okello starts for Gonzalez. Late scratch.

OgtheDim
11-03-2021, 06:50 PM
I kinda like that.

OgtheDim
11-03-2021, 06:54 PM
Note

Audio 2 is just stadium sound

Initial B
11-03-2021, 06:58 PM
It looks like early yips for TFC. They know how much this means and they look too tight out there. Watching on OneSoccer.

Also note: Aparicio and Irving have played against TFC before when they were part of the Ottawa Fury. These guys won't be cowed.

benito
11-03-2021, 07:09 PM
Nice finish Jozy! Where have you been for the past two years?

Bushmancan
11-03-2021, 07:09 PM
Say what you want about Jozy, but if that’s Mullins or Dyer…. That is not a goal. I think we said this last year about this time. We need a another striker and a CB.

OgtheDim
11-03-2021, 07:16 PM
That Okello gets pulled in to start as the DM says something about where he is as a player.

Not sure that would have happened 3 months ago.

jloome
11-03-2021, 07:18 PM
Feels a lot like the York game so far.

OgtheDim
11-03-2021, 07:21 PM
The gulf in class here is most noticeable in the crispness of the passing.

MikeForbes
11-03-2021, 07:29 PM
Yep. This is shaping up to be easy work.

MightyDM
11-03-2021, 07:29 PM
Say what you want about Jozy, but if that’s Mullins or Dyer…. That is not a goal. I think we said this last year about this time. We need a another striker and a CB.

That’s the problem with the “Jozy out” crowd. What he has (when he plays) is very hard to replace - and what he has is what we need. And yes I understand he has been injured. I am making a different point. Soteldo, for example - brilliantly talented but doesn’t have what Jozy has. Not even close.

MightyDM
11-03-2021, 07:33 PM
@jloome you were right about the gulf in speed and class. Night and day. (They also don’t seem to have selected the wingback who I saw play who was a real threat. )

OgtheDim
11-03-2021, 07:36 PM
Jozy when on his game is one of the best forwards in this league.

&

when doesn't happen enough

Shaff has an x factor - he's really good at finding spaces & for a guy at this level, his finishing is good.

noxx98
11-03-2021, 07:47 PM
Jozy wants a call up to the USMNT. And if he’s healthy he deserves it. They don’t have anyone else like him.

MikeForbes
11-03-2021, 07:48 PM
What the hell has Wheeler done to his facial hair? He looks terrifying.

MikeForbes
11-03-2021, 07:50 PM
Jozy wants a call up to the USMNT. And if he’s healthy he deserves it. They don’t have anyone else like him.

Pretty sure Jozy is done getting USMNT call ups. Atleast for WC Qualifiers. Maybe he gets a final nod in December for the friendly they just booked. Plus Twitter would blow up since he isn't under 20 or playing in the Austrian 4th division.

Ultra & Proud
11-03-2021, 07:51 PM
That’s the problem with the “Jozy out” crowd. What he has (when he plays) is very hard to replace - and what he has is what we need. And yes I understand he has been injured. I am making a different point. Soteldo, for example - brilliantly talented but doesn’t have what Jozy has. Not even close.

Replaceable if they look for a specific type of #9 and offer the money they gave him when he first signed. Hard to replace with fringe MLSers like Dwyer & Mullins though. Also the Soteldo comparison isn't fair as it's a winger from a 3rd tier league vs a CF who played in 1st & 2nd tier leagues.

OgtheDim
11-03-2021, 07:56 PM
Look like Morrow is going to get a few games in his swan song - that Auro injury looked like a few months.

MightyDM
11-03-2021, 07:58 PM
Jozy when on his game is one of the best forwards in this league.

&

when doesn't happen enough

Shaff has an x factor - he's really good at finding spaces & for a guy at this level, his finishing is good.

Agree with both

Bushmancan
11-03-2021, 07:59 PM
Jozy is now a cherry picker / finisher now and he can score, put some attacking pace (additional striker, or maybe Shaff now) around him and a attacking midfielder opponents have to respect and he will find space. TBH i like Soteldo more in the middle but you have Poz. Don’t expect Jozy to outrun people like he did in 2017 but he still is valuable and it is unconscionable what Ali and Armas did to him. 7 games… did he kill someone? ‘nuff said.

MightyDM
11-03-2021, 08:00 PM
Replaceable if they look for a specific type of #9 and offer the money they gave him when he first signed. Hard to replace with fringe MLSers like Dwyer & Mullins though. Also the Soteldo comparison isn't fair as it's a winger from a 3rd tier league vs a CF who played in 1st & 2nd tier leagues.

Fair enough. Just making the point that it is very hard to get that particular talent and what a difference it makes when you have it.

OgtheDim
11-03-2021, 08:02 PM
Pretty sure Jozy is done getting USMNT call ups. Atleast for WC Qualifiers. Maybe he gets a final nod in December for the friendly they just booked. Plus Twitter would blow up since he isn't under 20 or playing in the Austrian 4th division.

https://twitter.com/MattDoyle76/status/1456060620479008768

Doyle just loves to see the world burn

MightyDM
11-03-2021, 08:03 PM
I saw Pacific FC v Edmonton and Dada-Luke dominated the game. Destroyed them and created the room for Bustos and Aparico to score. Very surprised he didn’t start today. TFC needs to be careful about him.

MikeForbes
11-03-2021, 08:04 PM

I threw a comment under that tweet. Trolling USMNT twitter has become so fun and easy.

MightyDM
11-03-2021, 08:09 PM
Dunfield just made a great point - Shaff has flourished under Perez. So has Okello

OgtheDim
11-03-2021, 08:10 PM
Poz really isn't a part of this game...

Derko
11-03-2021, 08:13 PM
Poz really isn't a part of this game...

I agree. but neither is Osorio, he seems useless and gives up too easily.

MikeForbes
11-03-2021, 08:17 PM
Pozuelo is wildly out of form.

OgtheDim
11-03-2021, 08:20 PM
Pozuelo is wildly out of form.

He can't make basic passes tonight...weird.

Bushmancan
11-03-2021, 08:21 PM
We are being out worked right now.

rocktml
11-03-2021, 08:21 PM
Poz is having one of his worse games as a red. He looks like he has checked out

jloome
11-03-2021, 08:22 PM
Poz is having one of his worse games as a red. He looks like he has checked out

I got the sense from his comments on coming back that he had a major family crisis of some kind back in Spain. His mind might not really be on football right now.

OgtheDim
11-03-2021, 08:23 PM
Sloppy second half - going to give up a goal I suspect & then it will be squeeky bum time.

Bushmancan
11-03-2021, 08:24 PM
Laryea is going to hurt someone…LOL

MikeForbes
11-03-2021, 08:26 PM
He can't make basic passes tonight...weird.

Definitely the biggest disappointment of this season. Here is hoping this is just a blip on the radar for him.

Bushmancan
11-03-2021, 08:30 PM
That was payback

portu
11-03-2021, 08:33 PM
As much as winning these games against CPL teams is important to demonstrating that we aren’t entirely garbage, these last two games have seen an absolutely incredible number of opportunities missed in front of goal.

MikeForbes
11-03-2021, 08:35 PM
C'mon...

jloome
Man, if we give this one up it'll be an utter humiliation, because this is a shit team. We've missed so many open runs and chances. The second half focus has been gone.

OgtheDim
Poz is a liability....

portu
11-03-2021, 08:39 PM
Bradley should retire. I’m not even joking. It hurts to watch him play so poorly after how good he was for so long.

Derko
11-03-2021, 08:40 PM
Poz is a liability....
Og what about Osorio, Delgado, Bradley, all liabilties, Osorio is terrible in my opinion, always has been

OgtheDim
11-03-2021, 08:42 PM
Og what about Osorio, Delgado, Bradley, all liabilties, Osorio is terrible in my opinion, always has been

In this game, right now, Poz can't pass, isn't up there enough & doesn't come back.

MightyDM
11-03-2021, 08:44 PM

Right. Jonathon Osorio is the problem for TFC? Get a grip man. Did you watch him v Mexico?

MikeForbes
11-03-2021, 08:44 PM
This is not inspiring.

MightyDM
11-03-2021, 08:45 PM
Bradley should retire. I’m not even joking. It hurts to watch him play so poorly after how good he was for so long.

You might be right, but you cannot judge on tonight’s performance. He’s been playing centre back on 15 minutes notice.

jloome
11-03-2021, 08:46 PM
This is not inspiring.

We've looked gassed since the 66 minute. Went into deep lines too early. Playing defense all half is just as tiring as running around.

benito
Very shaky ending.

Bushmancan
Any idea on when the Final is?

MightyDM
Shaff is massive and Perez deserves at least some credit for his development

Richard
11-03-2021, 08:48 PM
So a 2-1 victory using first team players against a team that has a capped team salary of $850K.

Uninspiring.

jloome
11-03-2021, 08:48 PM
Oso does not look happy.

Bushmancan
11-03-2021, 08:49 PM
Wheeler nailed it in the post game summary.

OgtheDim

Depends on whether Montreal can pull off a win in Orlando this weekend.

SoccMan2
Pozuelo that was embarrassing for the money he is making , get rid of this guy , sent him home and take his buddy Perez with him total garbage!

rydermike
11-03-2021, 08:58 PM
Hopefully in 2021,unlike 2020

gracos
11-03-2021, 08:59 PM
we barely beat Pacific FC, and now get FC Montreal, its time for Curtis, Manning and Perez to all go

MightyDM
11-03-2021, 09:05 PM
We totally dominated the first half and could have been four nil. The criticism is harsh. TFC tired and took its foot off the gas. We do have weaknesses and when Pacific put on Dada-Luke they exploited them. Bit surprising for me that he didn’t start.

Auzzy
11-03-2021, 10:54 PM
Oso does not look happy.

Osorio rarely looks happy. He has a perma-snarl. And yes somebody has to figure out how to bottle his performance vs. Mexico and apply it to TFC games. (TBH if he plays many games for Canada he won't always play that well.) The guy needs a sports psychologist so badly it's not funny. He has obvious talent. But often over-thinking key passes or shots and only managing slow rollers as a result. His defensive midfield work is often impressive; less to think about there. And this isn't really supposed to be a rant against Osorio: multiple players on the team need time with a sports psychologist. The passing around in front of net is so strange, almost like they are afraid of putting a shot on goal most of the time.

leedsandTFC
11-03-2021, 10:58 PM
could and should have won that won by about 5 or 6.

worryingly poor finishing, and also fitness levels.

PizzaEatingYeti
11-04-2021, 07:27 AM
I don't take any conclusions from this match except that TFC has done exactly the minimum needed to qualify for the final.
Any other over analysis IMO does not worth even the paper is written on...

Everybody and their pets knew that TFC needs to have a totally shit performance against a team one or two classes weaker, for not to qualify for the final.
And the other team in parallel needs to have it's best performance of the whole season, or maybe even from that franchise's whole existence.

Now the final, that's a different animal, that will be the one worth a serious analysis.

Joe Kool
11-04-2021, 09:09 AM
We need CB help....bad. Other than that I don't read much into last night's game. TFC taking the foot off the gas was a mistake in the second half though. Look at games where teams like Chelsea play lower teams. They could be winning 4-0 at halftime and what do they do in the 2nd half...try to make it 8-0. Never a foot off the gas. I know difference in quality is night and day between our teams but mentality can still be there to push a game no matter what.

BritSOL
11-04-2021, 11:35 AM

Tweet now deleted. What did he say?

red-o
11-04-2021, 11:56 AM
Tweet now deleted. What did he say?
"The #USMNT forward currently in the best form is Josmer Altidore. Been awesome since coming back from that injury.
Also, he looks a good 15 pounds lighter than he did earlier in the year."

There was another comment after something like "maybe 15 is generous", and I didn't see anyone else's replies, not sure why he took it down.

MikeForbes
11-04-2021, 12:10 PM
He took it down because I had a sweet burn on USMNT Twitter under it. ;)

red-o
11-04-2021, 03:37 PM
He took it down because I had a sweet burn on USMNT Twitter under it. ;)
<3 I was looking forward to reading the comments under that one.

Prof
11-04-2021, 04:38 PM
So a 2-1 victory using first team players against a team that has a capped team salary of $850K.

Uninspiring.

Are you new to the beautiful game? This is what makes tournaments such as the FA Cup so exciting, that a lower league team can upset the big boys. :hump: