PDA

View Full Version : Report says TFC approach Betis about Pellegrini

jloome
10-28-2021, 01:10 AM
https://www.latercera.com/el-deportivo/noticia/la-mls-ronda-a-pellegrini-toronto-fc-lo-pretende-para-su-nuevo-proyecto/UGGY66QH7JCV3NAJ6KSMO5V5FA/

I believe Pellegrini is one of those who has stated an interest in MLS in the past.

But a total hired gun, right? Cost a fortune and be gone in two years like Tata?

Yohan
10-28-2021, 05:53 AM
Dump a truckload of money on him and he'll sign. He signed for a Chinese team, so obviously he won't say no to a big pile of cash.

MLS FO would love this. I bet Tata had a similar effect as Beckham signing in terms of getting attention of managers that if Tata is willing to sign for MLS, maybe they should consider too.
Pellegrini might have similar effect.

And if Pellegrini signs but bolts in like 2 years (though he's 68 so maybe he wants to retire afterwards), TFC gets a rep for being able to attract big name manager.

Areathrasher
10-28-2021, 06:55 AM
He's doing really well with Betis at the moment. I really cant see him wanting to leave Betis right now.

MikeForbes
10-28-2021, 07:44 AM
Can't say the team isn't being ambitious.

Smokecell
10-28-2021, 10:38 AM
It's almost renewal time folks...don't believe everything you read

MikeForbes
10-28-2021, 10:51 AM

Normally I would agree and it is likely bogus, but I don't think TFC is about to give some small random paper in Spain a leak and tell them to run it to get season ticket sales up. They would leak it to a Bogert or Goff.

ensco
10-28-2021, 11:39 AM
I don’t buy it. This makes no sense.

Pellegrini makes sense in 20 MLS teams, where Spanish is spoken by many players, executives and fans. Toronto is not one of those teams.

He would actually sell tickets in places like Miami or Houston.

Ultra & Proud
10-28-2021, 11:55 AM
I don’t buy it. This makes no sense.

Pellegrini makes sense in 20 MLS teams, where Spanish is spoken by many players, executives and fans. Toronto is not one of those teams.

He would actually sell tickets in places like Miami or Houston.
He would sell tickets based on his Euro pedigree here though. They'd play up the Man City angle.

As for our squad, depending on changes in the offseason, is pretty Spanish speaking and it could easily increase if he were manager. If they're looking for a cultural reset and to use his name as a draw into South American markets then it would make sense. I still doubt it and think it's going to Bob Bradley though.

Areathrasher
10-28-2021, 12:18 PM
Yea we have a pretty heavy Spanish speaking influence these days.

Oso, Jozy, Soteldo, Poz, Gallardo are fluent or native speakers. Delgado and Zav are learning/basic. I'm probably forgetting some. Those Chilean lads that just seem to hang around, the Olaves?

Then there is a Colombian in the front office and a couple of Uruguayans in support roles for coaching staff and training ground.

JoesphNdo
10-28-2021, 12:24 PM
Pellegrini would sell tickets and raise the profile and stature of 100% of MLS clubs, I've no problem believing we'd want him (We'd be bat shit crazy to NOT want him). I just have a problem believing the manager of the current 4th placed La Liga team would jump to any MLS team

ag futbol
10-28-2021, 12:49 PM
Pellegrini would sell tickets and raise the profile and stature of 100% of MLS clubs, I've no problem believing we'd want him (We'd be bat shit crazy to NOT want him). I just have a problem believing the manager of the current 4th placed La Liga team would jump to any MLS team
Yeah, that’s how I would assess it too.

MightyDM
10-28-2021, 02:02 PM
Yea we have a pretty heavy Spanish speaking influence these days.

Oso, Jozy, Soteldo, Poz, Gallardo are fluent or native speakers. Delgado and Zav are learning/basic. I'm probably forgetting some. Those Chilean lads that just seem to hang around, the Olaves?

Then there is a Colombian in the front office and a couple of Uruguayans in support roles for coaching staff and training ground.
MB probably speaks Spanish too

MightyDM
10-28-2021, 02:02 PM
He would sell tickets based on his Euro pedigree here though. They'd play up the Man City angle.

As for our squad, depending on changes in the offseason, is pretty Spanish speaking and it could easily increase if he were manager. If they're looking for a cultural reset and to use his name as a draw into South American markets then it would make sense. I still doubt it and think it's going to Bob Bradley though.

That’s my take.

MightyDM
10-28-2021, 02:08 PM

It feels like a performance by the FO just like pre Armas but I agree that it’s a weird paper to leak to - so maybe there is a bit of smoke to this one. Bizarre though. Why would he come here?

JoesphNdo
10-28-2021, 02:26 PM
It feels like a performance by the FO just like pre Armas but I agree that it’s a weird paper to leak to - so maybe there is a bit of smoke to this one. Bizarre though. Why would he come here?

Yeah it makes no sense, my only other theory is it's his own agent thinking this is a great time to hit Betis for more money and we're seen as a realistic team who would wild throw money at someone to use as a nice threat

portu
10-28-2021, 03:05 PM
If this were a PR play I feel like it’d would have been circulated through a bigger outlet than this one so that at least TSN would pick it up. The only people who will read this are the ones on this board. The Insigne stuff didn’t even get picked up by TSN.

So long as Pellegrini would be willing to sign a contract with us all the club would have to do is pay out the 4.5m to break him out of his contract with Betis. This would probably break a record for spending on a coach in MLS by some way. Would be a major sign of intent if they did this.

portu
10-28-2021, 03:07 PM
I’ve got no problem with changing managers every 2-3 seasons, it’s the reality of most clubs in the world.

Ultra & Proud
10-28-2021, 03:28 PM
I’ve got no problem with changing managers every 2-3 seasons, it’s the reality of most clubs in the world.
I would prefer one stick a bit longer but during a reboot and culture shift period a short term appointment works good.

The big question is how much can we overturn the roster presuming Manning really wanted to flush it and start over? I figure not enough for a full cultural reset if we choose a younger or up and coming type manager. Would take a few windows to weed out the contracts you can't move or let expire. If so then a manager like Pellegrini would have the clout to start changing the culture and get the attention of even our most stubborn 2017 era vets. Would be an easier transition from what we've seen this season (and starting previously) to a team that keeps it's attention for 90 minutes and sticks to the gameplan drawn up.

portu
10-28-2021, 04:31 PM
I would prefer one stick a bit longer but during a reboot and culture shift period a short term appointment works good.

The big question is how much can we overturn the roster presuming Manning really wanted to flush it and start over? I figure not enough for a full cultural reset if we choose a younger or up and coming type manager. Would take a few windows to weed out the contracts you can't move or let expire. If so then a manager like Pellegrini would have the clout to start changing the culture and get the attention of even our most stubborn 2017 era vets. Would be an easier transition from what we've seen this season (and starting previously) to a team that keeps it's attention for 90 minutes and sticks to the gameplan drawn up.
A Pellegrini level manager would probably make recruitment on the level that will be necessary this off-season way easier. This level manager also alleviates the front office of being judged against team performance (granted they recruit well enough). I’m not sure anyone could lay blame at Manning’s feet if a Pellegrini level hire doesn’t work out.

Smokecell
10-28-2021, 04:49 PM
If this were a PR play I feel like it’d would have been circulated through a bigger outlet than this one so that at least TSN would pick it up. The only people who will read this are the ones on this board. The Insigne stuff didn’t even get picked up by TSN.

So long as Pellegrini would be willing to sign a contract with us all the club would have to do is pay out the 4.5m to break him out of his contract with Betis. This would probably break a record for spending on a coach in MLS by some way. Would be a major sign of intent if they did this.

I mean you have a valid point, I just don’t see how our leadership goes asking for $4.5M just to break the guy out of his contract. Or why he wants to leave a successful club in a top league.

The last couple times they’ve shaken the money tree, the fruit has smacked them right in the head. I feel this kind of spending would be a hard sell so it’s hard for me to bite on the rumour.

ensco
10-28-2021, 05:28 PM
Except I don’t think we do want him given the awareness of the cost of getting him.

This would be an impossible pitch for Manning to make, given the sums spent the past two years. We are a last place team with highest payroll in MLS, and nobody in that position would be running to make the case that the way out is to spend more on a manager than anyone has in the history of the league by 3x or something.

jloome
10-28-2021, 06:47 PM
Except I don’t think we do want him given the awareness of the cost of getting him.

This would be an impossible pitch for Manning to make, given the sums spent the past two years. We are a last place team with highest payroll in MLS, and nobody in that position would be running to make the case that the way out is to spend more on a manager than anyone has in the history of the league by 3x or something.

my guess is that this is strategic.

He’s looking at the available player market and how the best players are skewing towards South America. He knows he can’t get Pellegrini because of his cost and contract but by reaching out he signals to the managing community what he’s looking for.

he wants high-level applicants with a certain high profile and an approach like this advertises that without any risk. I guarantee you agents WON’T miss that story.

Auzzy
10-28-2021, 07:02 PM

Somebody could do some research, but I don't believe that model works well in MLS. All the roster and salary restrictions make teams much less flexible. If each new coach wants changes to the roster then you're going to create havoc within MLS. The coaching carousel was TFC's model for many years and it was a disaster. Always getting further behind by needing to shed contracts from the previous guy. I think most of the best MLS teams have more stability.

Gringo Starr
10-28-2021, 09:13 PM
Just give Kraft 4.5 million and bring in Bruce Arena

OgtheDim
10-28-2021, 09:49 PM
Just give Kraft 4.5 million and bring in Bruce Arena

Hell no

Arena does one thing very well - getting out of the way of players & letting them do their jobs.

We don't need that right now.

If we were going to go after a manager with another MLS team, I'd go in on Jim Curtin. I'm not sure he has much to prove there anymore & might be looking for a new opportunity.

jloome
10-28-2021, 11:26 PM
Hell no

Arena does one thing very well - getting out of the way of players & letting them do their jobs.

If we were going to go after a manager with another MLS team, I'd go in on Jim Curtin. I'm not sure he has much to prove there anymore & might be looking for a new opportunity.

He just signed a two-year extension in June, so probably not, although you're right, he's perfect. I'd call the league anyway and get permission to approach his agent. Throw a bunch of dough at him. He's a great coach.

Yohan
10-29-2021, 06:07 AM
He just signed a two-year extension in June, so probably not, although you're right, he's perfect. I'd call the league anyway and get permission to approach his agent. Throw a bunch of dough at him. He's a great coach.
Well, Jim Curtin's certainly stuck it out for all these years in Philly. Survived quite a few GMs getting fired.

ag futbol
10-29-2021, 07:14 AM
I’d like to see someone who is a good front man in the press. Vanney was good with the media which is a necessary skill in this market.

We can’t have another mumbling Chris Armas. That’s the way to be relegated to the last 2 minutes of sportscentre if I ever saw one.

MikeForbes
10-29-2021, 07:41 AM
Bob Bradley isn't necessarily my choice, but he is still my prediction to be the coach next season.

Canary10
10-29-2021, 08:26 AM
Well, Jim Curtin's certainly stuck it out for all these years in Philly. Survived quite a few GMs getting fired.

I remember a Philadelphia game during our run of dominance (I think it was after the MLS Cup win, but can't remember for sure, might have been that year) where I thought Philadelphia was about the worst organized and tactically inept team I'd seen come in, even amongst the other teams we were destroying at the time. I'm actually kind of shocked they are playing the way they are now. Still makes me skeptical of curtain though.

Gringo Starr
10-29-2021, 09:46 AM
Hell no

I'm honestly not an Arena fan-I just don't want to go the big name manager with no MLS experience route.

I have little hope for the off season. They are going to run this team back next season. They will use Covid as cover and injuries as cover and Armas as cover. Jozy scoring goals in garbage games will give them cover to bring him back next year. We will win the Voyageur's and they will say that that is the true quality of the team so maybe a MLS savvy guy who seems to get the best out of who he has might be what we need while they cling to this group.

portu
10-29-2021, 11:12 AM
Bob Bradley isn't necessarily my choice, but he is still my prediction to be the coach next season.
Bob Bradley would be good, but when his son is the captain it feels like hiring him would bring unnecessary drama which this team really can’t afford right now.

ag futbol
10-29-2021, 11:34 AM
Bob Bradley would be good, but when his son is the captain it feels like hiring him would bring unnecessary drama which this team really can’t afford right now.
Yeah, I’d be fine with BB too but the elephant in the room here is that MB really has to transition to a lesser role on the team. Like instead of the first choice mid he has to rotate with Priso, Osorio, and Delgado depending on the game.

They need to rubbish the CB thing too, like ASAP. It’s like Manning and Curtis want to do as many mental gymnastics as they can not to admit their defence is a tire fire. Personally I’d move Lawrence inside and find a first choice CB

Ultra & Proud
10-29-2021, 11:44 AM
I'm honestly not an Arena fan-I just don't want to go the big name manager with no MLS experience route.

I have little hope for the off season. They are going to run this team back next season. They will use Covid as cover and injuries as cover and Armas as cover. Jozy scoring goals in garbage games will give them cover to bring him back next year. We will win the Voyageur's and they will say that that is the true quality of the team so maybe a MLS savvy guy who seems to get the best out of who he has might be what we need while they cling to this group.

Manning is definitely not rolling it back. Rolling it back will in no way help ticket renewals. Tickets & memberships are clearly the FO's aim right now and if Manning rolls it back and attendance is 14K next season then he is gone fast and probably won't be on a lot of speed dials for another job as good as what he has now.

I expect some big turnover and a manager that will sell tickets and/or at least belief. Also expecting a high flash, biggish name player who fits a specific demographic that they want to tap into plus Giovinco. This offseason will be the most PR and ticket sales oriented offseason we've had since the Bloody Big Deal days.

jabbronies
10-29-2021, 12:24 PM
Manning is definitely not rolling it back. Rolling it back will in no way help ticket renewals. Tickets & memberships are clearly the FO's aim right now and if Manning rolls it back and attendance is 14K next season then he is gone fast and probably won't be on a lot of speed dials for another job as good as what he has now.

I expect some big turnover and a manager that will sell tickets and/or at least belief. Also expecting a high flash, biggish name player who fits a specific demographic that they want to tap into plus Giovinco. This offseason will be the most PR and ticket sales oriented offseason we've had since the Bloody Big Deal days.

Managers don't bring in fans. Players do. I just hope Manning is smart enough to understand that.

portu
10-29-2021, 12:28 PM
Managers don't bring in fans. Players do. I just hope Manning is smart enough to understand that.
Strongly disagree. There would be significant buzz for a top level manager. Not to mention that who your manager is can significantly impact the kind of players you bring in.

Oldtimer
10-29-2021, 12:55 PM
Strongly disagree. There would be significant buzz for a top level manager. Not to mention that who your manager is can significantly impact the kind of players you bring in.

The casual Toronto sports fan wouldn't be affected in the least. Only a Big Name Player that they've heard of would move the meter.

The knowledgeable soccer fan would definitely be excited by a top level manager.

In any case MLSE needs to do something drastic to restore the franchise, this could be it.

Bushmancan
10-29-2021, 07:22 PM
The knowledgeable soccer fan would definitely be excited by a top level manager.

In any case MLSE needs to do something drastic to restore the franchise, this could be it.

Need to either fire or reassess Ali’s role before any credible manager will sign.

portu
10-29-2021, 08:49 PM
The casual Toronto sports fan wouldn't be affected in the least. Only a Big Name Player that they've heard of would move the meter.

Giovinco created buzz amongst casuals but was not a big name.

Gringo Starr
10-30-2021, 02:38 AM
Giovinco created buzz amongst casuals but was not a big name.

It helped that Gio was coming from Juve, even girlfriends of the most casual calico fan knew that name

With the rogers drama playing out I don’t think there will be money to spend this off season on managers or players, the last 2 Dps Piatti and Soteldo were not the big splashy type signings if they did open a DP slot I think they go that route and maybe go big and splashy once the rest of the roster is fixed-kinda what the Jays have done

Oldtimer
10-30-2021, 12:48 PM
Need to either fire or reassess Ali’s role before any credible manager will sign.

He could be a capologist, just not assemble the team.

MightyDM
10-30-2021, 02:31 PM

Without a good manager, this team is going nowhere. With a good manager (which might be Perez but I think likely isn’t) the right players - two CB’s and a striker - this team goes a long way.

Bushmancan
10-30-2021, 06:12 PM
He could be a capologist, just not assemble the team.

If he could live with it…. Just a ton of money to spend on a capologist.