PDA

View Full Version : MLS Match Day 27 - Cinci @ TFC Wednesday Sept 29 7:08pm - I don't know the meaning of

OgtheDim
09-26-2021, 03:42 PM
much

I don't know the right expressions
I don't have too much intuition
Or too many credentials

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so7PZl_1vOM

Yup, its the 2 worst teams in the league....again

Have at It People

OgtheDim
09-26-2021, 04:16 PM
Mad at myself because this was a better choice that I didn't think of until I saw a tweet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU9JoFKlaZ0

MikeForbes
09-27-2021, 09:32 AM
Jaap Stam was relieved of his duties as CFC's manager this morning. Cinci could have that new manager bump for Wednesday.

Red CB Toronto
09-27-2021, 12:48 PM
Is this game actually happening, TFC at this point feels so dead. We are in store another empty BMO Field. Lots of people I know are bailing, even the dedicated. Plus there is a pretty big baseball game going on that night too, not that far down on the road ( :

Auzzy
09-27-2021, 01:18 PM
Is this game actually happening, TFC at this point feels so dead. We are in store another empty BMO Field. Lots of people I know are bailing, even the dedicated. Plus there is a pretty big baseball game going on that night too, not that far down on the road ( :

I'll be there woohoo!!!!!

Ultra & Proud
09-27-2021, 02:12 PM
Jaap Stam was relieved of his duties as CFC's manager this morning. Cinci could have that new manager bump for Wednesday.
I don't think Tyrone Marshall will be giving that roster much bumping.

They're going to steal our wooden spoon.

Initial B
09-27-2021, 05:08 PM
Is it just me, or does Cinci thus far remind you of TFC circa 2007-2012?

jloome
09-27-2021, 09:41 PM
I don't think Tyrone Marshall will be giving that roster much bumping.

They're going to steal our wooden spoon.

Interestingly, Vanney's Galaxy are sorta collapsing. Seven games without a win, shutout multiple times including 2-0 to Austin.

Sort of reminds me what happened to us last year around this time. Is he getting tactically figured out? They have a weak defense and have relied on offense and ball possession for wins. Might be you can't play a possession game with a weak back line against pressing teams.

Ultra & Proud
09-28-2021, 08:17 AM
Sort of reminds me what happened to us last year around this time. Is he getting tactically figured out? They have a weak defense and have relied on offense and ball possession for wins. Might be you can't play a possession game with a weak back line against pressing teams.
This is a big part of it for sure. We even had problems with good pressing teams in 2017 (NYRB). I think another part is that the team, at least ours back in his time, got lost in pointless possession and now it seems they're doing it too. I swear there's at least double the sideways and backwards passes compared to forward.

jabbronies
09-28-2021, 08:56 AM
This is a big part of it for sure. We even had problems with good pressing teams in 2017 (NYRB). I think another part is that the team, at least ours back in his time, got lost in pointless possession and now it seems they're doing it too. I swear there's at least double the sideways and backwards passes compared to forward.

Vanney's build up was great, but his TFC team had no clue what to do in the final 18.

I wish Javier had more time and a full lineup to show what he can do - Although I don't think he's an ideal manager, I do think he has a deep tactical arsenal that he can deploy.

The last two games I've seen what the pieces we have are capable of and what we are missing.
Whereas most of the season, we've just seen everything play like garbage.

Ultra & Proud
09-28-2021, 10:06 AM
Vanney's build up was great, but his TFC team had no clue what to do in the final 18.

I wish Javier had more time and a full lineup to show what he can do - Although I don't think he's an ideal manager, I do think he has a deep tactical arsenal that he can deploy.

The last two games I've seen what the pieces we have are capable of and what we are missing.
Whereas most of the season, we've just seen everything play like garbage.
I think if we hire an estabished MLS manager like Bradley then he is done. But I think if we go the Pirlo-type route I could see Manning try to convince him to stay as top assistant.

jloome
09-28-2021, 10:35 AM
I think if we hire an estabished MLS manager like Bradley then he is done. But I think if we go the Pirlo-type route I could see Manning try to convince him to stay as top assistant.

Yeah, I'm not sure they -- or any of us really -- have enough faith to take a risk on the guy full-time. But I think Jabbronies might be right, we might be missing out on a good one if we don't give him a shot. Some of the stuff he's tried when things were dire was just really, really clever.

I mean, for Nashville, he obviously studied the shit out of their press, realized it relied on their midfield choking our midfield by having a higher-than-normal defensive line for a pressing team. Then we just... bypassed the midfield, completely, making it a speed game, with our forwards faster than theirs.

I called him cowardly against Colorado, but it was probably just pragmatic. They're good all over the pitch and have a balanced attack with some buildup. So he played a heavily defensive game, at altitude, and tried to steal a point late.

And he's made Omar look not completely inept, too. When Mavinga went out, he had two extra men dropping back into the line so we were basically defending with six at the back, and they had no answer but to try and ping crosses to 5-foot-fuck-all Michael Barrios.

He seems clever and he seems to have their heads straight. Given a proper depth of lineup to work with, a top striker, a solid line leader? I think he might make us very hard to beat.

But that's all "maybe, maybe, maybe" and the front office is going to be terrified into doing something like offering Bob Bradley a shit ton. I'm not sure he's all he's cracked up to be. He traded away multiple key components when they had the league's best depth and now they're using Raheem Edwards as an emergency forward. He let Walker Zimmerman, one of the best center halfs in the league, go to Nashville. He let Mark Anthony Kaye, one of the best defensive midfielders, go to Colorado. These were moves that reek of not liking the personality fit, despite the fact that his teams were winning.

I'm sure he'd turn us into a decent team, but I'm not sure we're ever be great again if Bradley came in.

Maybe if Bruce Arena wins in New England -- where he has proven, without a doubt, that he is one of the best MLS-style coaches ever, maybe the best, we should just throw the kitchen sink at him, break the million mark.

But if we're rebuilding half the roster anyway, it sort of makes sense to try Perez when first-year expectations will be tempered by having a new team and the need for them to gel.

Ultra & Proud
09-28-2021, 11:24 AM
But if we're rebuilding half the roster anyway, it sort of makes sense to try Perez when first-year expectations will be tempered by having a new team and the need for them to gel.
I'm not sold that this is happening. I think we're re-tooling instead solely based on the Giovinco rumor and the heat Manning felt this season. I expect some expiring contracted players to be re-signed, possibly even Gonzalez. I say we run it back one more time.

jabbronies
09-28-2021, 03:34 PM
I think if we hire an estabished MLS manager like Bradley then he is done.

That ain't happening. An Established manager coming to TFC would have to be someone who knows how to run a big club and a proven winner - Bradley, Arena; Schmetzer.

I just don't see them leaving their current clubs.

But I think if we go the Pirlo-type route I could see Manning try to convince him to stay as top assistant.

Urrgghh I really hope we don't go down the Pirlo route. Have we not learned anything from every other former Euro Star turned MLS coach failure?

Winter; Stam; Viera; Henry; Gullit; De Boer; Heinze; Neville...

They either don't want to be here or they are just shit managers who can't adapt to MLS

jabbronies
09-28-2021, 03:46 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure they -- or any of us really -- have enough faith to take a risk on the guy full-time. But I think Jabbronies might be right, we might be missing out on a good one if we don't give him a shot. Some of the stuff he's tried when things were dire was just really, really clever.

Let's not forget our Gregfather was a nobody when he took the job. But he had the right head for the job. I think Javier might be of similar stock. Just a very tactical guy who can manage his way through anything.

The last few games, I've been impressed. We are essentially seeing what we have put to good use - the missing pieces are obvious, but the things we do have are working.

Yes we are shit in the attack, but that obvious - look at who we have as striker options. and our Defense is garbage - with that being said he's getting the good pieces we have doing positive things. Our mids filling as much of the holes as they can and we come away with a clean sheet, this after a midweek match where our best pieces were playing.

Our attack is shit, but our build up isn't always terrible. We get these one off chances from decent plays and runs.

Let's see how he manages the rest of the season with even less. I won't be surprised if he's back next year - especially considering there are no better managers on the market.

ensco
09-28-2021, 04:05 PM
The only way Bob Bradley comes to TFC, and I see this as exactly what will happen, is as President/GM, replacing Manning, with Michael Bradley as manager.

You pull the next wunderkid out of the league office, like Bez in 2013, to be the capologist, and presto… “Bob's your Uncle”.

I wish there was a way to bet on this.

jabbronies
09-28-2021, 04:08 PM
The only way Bob Bradley comes to TFC, and I see this as exactly what will happen, is as President/GM, replacing Manning, with Michael Bradley as manager.

I wish there was a way to bet on this.

This is a 4-5 year bet lol

OgtheDim
09-28-2021, 05:02 PM
That ain't happening. An Established manager coming to TFC would have to be someone who knows how to run a big club and a proven winner - Bradley, Arena; Schmetzer.

I just don't see them leaving their current clubs.

Bradley's contract is done at the end of this season
&

Vela is leaving

&

they are treading water in terms of quality

I think Bradley might be available. Whether he is the right choice (somebody like the one DCU has would be better in my mind) is another thing.

OgtheDim
09-28-2021, 06:37 PM
FWIW

Cinci flew in this afternoon

https://twitter.com/SportsAviation/status/1442942411865427968

My Dog is not impressed

https://twitter.com/OgtheDim/status/1441729787844710404

jloome
09-28-2021, 06:40 PM
So it appears both Maving and Zavaleta are out. I'm guessing we'll either see a 433 with Gonzalez and Lawrence at centre half, or a three man back with Lawrence, Gonzalez, Auro, Richie on one flank, Shaff on the other.

But given our lack of bench depth probably the former.

Achara and Soteldo up top or Shaff/Soteldo/Achara if it's a 433.

As I pointed out in another thread, Soteldo's goal-to-shot ratio is .05% (2 goals on 38 shots), which if you go by the EPL as a marker would make him the worst striker in the league. That's despite an S-O-T of 37%, which is average-to-good for most leagues. So he makes terrible shot choices, or can't pick a corner to save his life.

How it compares in MLS I'm not sure, as they don't have combined stats anywhere that I can find.

MikeForbes
09-28-2021, 08:21 PM
FWIW

Cinci flew in this afternoon

https://twitter.com/SportsAviation/status/1442942411865427968

My Dog is not impressed

https://twitter.com/OgtheDim/status/1441729787844710404

Your dog looks slightly more impressed this week.

Red CB Toronto
09-28-2021, 11:11 PM
So what is the over/under on attendance Wednesday night? The Jays had 28,768 on Tuesday night and will have the pretty much the same Wednesday. I will be the BMO though.

Blindside16
09-29-2021, 03:35 AM
So what is the over/under on attendance Wednesday night? The Jays had 28,768 on Tuesday night and will have the pretty much the same Wednesday. I will be the BMO though.

i will be surprised if it is anything over 8,000

Ultra & Proud
09-29-2021, 06:32 AM
&

Vela is leaving

&

I think Bradley might be available. Whether he is the right choice (somebody like the one DCU has would be better in my mind) is another thing.

Bradley will be available. If LAFC intended to keep him they would have extended him with 3 months to go on his contract. He is done there. At the moment he is rumored to go to either TFC or the Fire and only a crazy person would chose the Fire.

PizzaEatingYeti
09-29-2021, 07:15 AM
He is done there. At the moment he is rumored to go to either TFC or the Fire and only a crazy person would chose the Fire.

Sources?

ensco
09-29-2021, 07:16 AM
Apropos of nothing much…

Anybody else still haunted by the sound of Tyrone Marshall breaking Kenny Cooper's leg?

jabbronies
09-29-2021, 08:33 AM

under 1000 fans for sure. my guess is about....648

jabbronies
09-29-2021, 08:41 AM
&
Vela is leaving
&

The thing that concerns me with Bradley is I feel like he would be a 1 run guy. and if we got into trouble, would he jump ship.

I mean, why leave LA? i thought they were a well run club?

Areathrasher
09-29-2021, 08:45 AM
Sources?

The Athletic have speculated that IF he leaves LAFC, TFC and the Fire are the frontrunners for him.

Ultra & Proud
09-29-2021, 08:51 AM
Sources?

Brian Dunseth Tweeted that a few days ago but said TFC is the favorite.

ag futbol
09-29-2021, 08:52 AM
Apropos of nothing much…

Anybody else still haunted by the sound of Tyrone Marshall breaking Kenny Cooper's leg?
Now there is a name I haven’t heard in a while. Great MLS 1.0 striker. If we could find someone in that mould we’d be getting somewhere.

Wasn’t as effective in his later years but when he started at FCD, man that guy could do everything.

MikeForbes
09-29-2021, 09:26 AM
Bradley is definitely the odds on favorite in my mind to be managing here next year.

leedsandTFC
09-29-2021, 09:28 AM
mullinho likes a goal vs cinci and due one, reckon he bags the winner tonight.

2-1 TFC

jloome
09-29-2021, 12:56 PM
Bradley is definitely the odds on favorite in my mind to be managing here next year.
Why? Why would they hire a guy who doesn’t even have his badges?

dude, they make lazy, arrogant decisions but they’re not going to hand the club to an inexperienced coach. I just can’t see them being that dumb. Maybe I’m being naive but the bigger worry is they’re wedded to an outdated MLS 1.0 mindset and we’ll get John Harkes or Ben Olsen or some other guaranteed loser in tactical terms.

Auzzy
09-29-2021, 01:15 PM

dude, they make lazy, arrogant decisions but they’re not going to hand the club to an inexperienced coach. I just can’t see them being that dumb. Maybe I’m being naive but the bigger worry is they’re wedded to an outdated MLS 1.0 mindset and we’ll get John Harkes or Ben Olsen or some other guaranteed loser in tactical terms.

I'm not too excited about it, but he probably means Bob Bradley.

ag futbol
09-29-2021, 01:38 PM
I’m not overly caught up on the whole licensing aspect of coaching, particularly for someone who has been around as long as Bob. I’ve certainly seen professional accreditation as being no guarantee of quality in my own line of work.

I thought his work in LA has been okay, but not spectacular. They’ve played to their talent level generally, although they’ve flopped in the playoffs a few times. He’s an upgrade from Armas or any of the names we were linked with last off season. But… I don’t see how he makes us all that better than Perez.

Leaving that aside, I just see this as a distraction to fans in light of horrifically bad performance. The press should be writing Manning and Curtis’s eulogy right now, instead they are staying silent in as cowardly of a manner as possible and spoon feeding the public snippets about Giovinco. Bread and circuses stuff, this is.

Auzzy
09-29-2021, 01:42 PM
I’m not overly caught up on the whole licensing aspect of coaching, particularly for someone who has been around as long as Bob. I’ve certainly seen professional accreditation as being no guarantee of quality in my own line of work.

I thought his work in LA has been okay, but not spectacular. They’ve played to their talent level generally, although they’ve flopped in the playoffs a few times. He’s an upgrade from Armas or any of the names we were linked with last off season. But… I don’t see how he makes us all that better than Perez.

Leaving that aside, I just see this as a distraction to fans in light of horrifically bad performance. The press should be writing Manning and Curtis’s eulogy right now, instead they are staying silent in as cowardly of a manner as possible and spoon feeding the public snippets about Giovinco. Bread and circuses stuff, this is.

I know nothing about coaching licenses, but Bob Bradley supposedly has the UEFA Pro Licence, is that worth something?

Again not excited about him. Been watching some of his teams for a long time. Read some things about him. Not sure if he would really give this club what it needs.

Canary10
09-29-2021, 01:47 PM
I know nothing about coaching licenses, but Bob Bradley supposedly has the UEFA Pro Licence, is that worth something?

Again not excited about him. Been watching some of his teams for a long time. Read some things about him. Not sure if he would really give this club what it needs.

Plus he says PK. :)

MikeForbes
09-29-2021, 02:18 PM

I meant Bob! Haha.

jloome
09-29-2021, 02:24 PM
I meant Bob! Haha.

Oh! I somehow read that as Michael. I think someone just before you mentioned Bob as Gm and Michael as coach, so I was seeing that.

Yeah, Bob Bradley is a real possibility. Not totally sold on him. He seems tactically very sound and an astute talent judge, but he doesn't seem particularly liked by his players and he seems to consider even the best easily replaceable, despite being proven wrong repeatedly over the last two seasons.

Kamp Berg
09-29-2021, 06:07 PM
Any one have any idea what formation they are starting with tonight? MLS always says it’s a 4-2-3-1 for TFC, regardless of what they are really playing. It’s strange, seems to be only TFC, I’ve seen lots of other formation for other teams.
I’m guessing a 4-3-3 🤷🏼

MightyDM
09-29-2021, 06:12 PM
Any one have any idea what formation they are starting with tonight? MLS always says it’s a 4-2-3-1 for TFC, regardless of what they are really playing. It’s strange, seems to be only TFC, I’ve seen lots of other formation for other teams.
I’m guessing a 4-3-3 路

Looks like 4-1-2-1-2 that morphs into a 3-4-3. So yes, 4-3-3. Although could be 4-2-3-1 with Oso and Shaff either side of Soteldo I suppose. Gameday!

ag futbol
09-29-2021, 06:34 PM
That has to be in the net, bad miss

benito
09-29-2021, 06:35 PM

how did oso miss that?

Kamp Berg
09-29-2021, 06:35 PM

Damn! That’s a heartbreaker!

Bushmancan
09-29-2021, 06:37 PM
How many gifts are we going to turn down.

Kamp Berg
09-29-2021, 06:38 PM
WTF was that?!

benito
09-29-2021, 06:44 PM
The pitch looks in rough shape. It’s only going to get worse.

Kamp Berg
09-29-2021, 06:45 PM
What was that from Soteldo? Couldn’t be bothered to score on the rebound?

Kamp Berg
09-29-2021, 06:46 PM
Lots of great movement, but too frantic and no finish at all

MikeForbes
09-29-2021, 06:48 PM
If Soteldo and Giovinco play together there will be sooooo many death stares at each other and teammates.

rocktml
09-29-2021, 06:50 PM
I can’t stand Soteldo. I wouldn’t be bothered if he were no longer here next season

Bushmancan
09-29-2021, 06:52 PM
He is only 5’10” but Lawrence may have a future as a CB

Kamp Berg
09-29-2021, 06:55 PM
He is only 5’10” but Lawrence may have a future as a CB

I’m not terribly impressed when he plays as a LB, so I hope he does too. On the other hand, the more I watch Soteldo, the less I like him.

portu
09-29-2021, 06:57 PM
Shaff has a future here, no question about it

noxx98
09-29-2021, 06:57 PM
Other than Oso missing that shot early on, I think he has looked terrific this entire game. Best player on the pitch.

Kamp Berg
09-29-2021, 06:58 PM
If we had a real striker it’d be 3-0 right now!

benito
09-29-2021, 06:59 PM
Geez.

I don’t get upset anymore when tfc give up goals.

Kamp Berg
09-29-2021, 06:59 PM
WTF, has to be one of THOSE games!!!

jloome
09-29-2021, 07:01 PM
It was a dive Caldwell, Jesus h.

fucking terrible at calls.

portu
09-29-2021, 07:07 PM
I would love to be a fly on the wall in the dressing room for the last little bit. There’s got to be some tense times when the entire club is essentially impotent from the front office to the coaching to the on field performance.

jloome
09-29-2021, 07:09 PM
That Ryobi ad where Soteldo hits the back of the net seems to be stretching credulity.

OgtheDim
09-29-2021, 07:20 PM
Gonzalez is basically a guaranteed +.75 xG for the other team.

ag futbol
09-29-2021, 07:25 PM
Shaffleburg scores more goals than our DP’s (granted one of those provided the assist)

OgtheDim
09-29-2021, 07:26 PM
That was.....gorgeous.

benito
09-29-2021, 07:33 PM
Great pass!

jloome
Shaff coming out party.

Dude is going to be huge. Can’t believe I lost the faith (okay only for a night but everyone was struggling).

notthesun
It's the Shaffelburg show tonight. He's made real progress the last month or so.

ag futbol
Finally this game has come to life.

Can Shaffleburg start full time? I think at the very least he warrants significant minutes going forward. Can’t ignore this sort of ability any longer.

Bushmancan
Could not figure out why Vanney stopped playing Shaff… happy for him. Great pace, energy and now offensive threat

Thomas
09-29-2021, 07:35 PM
No parking the bus…keep going

ag futbol
09-29-2021, 07:36 PM
So A no-look pass is a license to be hacked to the ground?

Please keep Caldwell away from coaching

OgtheDim
09-29-2021, 07:39 PM
The CFL logos are not completely gone.

MikeForbes
09-29-2021, 07:40 PM
Shaff and Delgado have scored. If Mullinho comes on and bags a goal, it is the perfect game for me.

ag futbol
09-29-2021, 07:41 PM
I don’t see Solteldo sticking around here. In fact I think trying to keep him around might be a mistake.

Edit: Shaffleburg running wild!

benito
09-29-2021, 07:42 PM
Soltedo and shaff with good passes on that goal.

jloome
09-29-2021, 07:42 PM
Three! Did I choke on my butter chicken and somehow make it into Heaven? Seems unlikely.

MikeForbes
09-29-2021, 07:43 PM
Beautiful. Shaff and Delgado have been so good tonight.

ag futbol
09-29-2021, 07:44 PM
Who knew the winger we needed was on our roster the whole time?

notthesun
09-29-2021, 07:44 PM
I can't believe how open Cincinnati is, they're asking to get scored on every counter attack.

Shaffelburg is awesome, he runs and runs and runs and he can deliver the final ball. Just that is worth a lot. If he can improve his 1-on-1 dribbling...

OgtheDim
09-29-2021, 07:45 PM
Soteldo has changed the speed of his passing the last few weeks without Poz around &....he is a GREAT AM right now.

MikeForbes
09-29-2021, 07:46 PM
Do not sign Giovinco. Like, where does he play?

ag futbol
09-29-2021, 07:46 PM
Soteldo has changed the speed of his passing the last few weeks without Poz around &....he is a GREAT AM right now.
I do find if you bring him centrally it forces him to be more direct and cut out all the BS. But not sure how often we can stick to that longer term.

OgtheDim
09-29-2021, 07:47 PM
Do not sign Giovinco. Like, where does he play?

CB....

MightyDM
09-29-2021, 07:48 PM
Who knew the winger we needed was on our roster the whole time?

We did!

ag futbol
Oh Michael, you gave it away…

MightyDM

This is his best match by far. He is trusting his teammates.

Thomas
09-29-2021, 07:50 PM
That one is on MB

MightyDM
09-29-2021, 07:51 PM
That was Bono’s error. Put your foot through it lad

MikeForbes
09-29-2021, 07:54 PM
Osorio and Delgado are TFC's best midfielders. Bradley is a distant third.

Thomas
09-29-2021, 07:54 PM
Yeah. You are right. It’s on Bozo

jabbronies
09-29-2021, 07:55 PM
"Javi ball" looking good again tonight.

A lot of the errors are on the players tonight - not the tactics. Good to see.

ag futbol
09-29-2021, 07:55 PM
Bradley’s penchant for losing the ball or passing it away in less than idea places seems to be increasing of late.

There was one earlier in the game that if Cinci wasn’t completely inept, they had a 3v1 and should have scored.

jabbronies
09-29-2021, 07:56 PM
Bradley’s penchant for losing the ball or passing it away in less than idea places seems to be increasing of late

The amount of responsibility place on him is unfair. He should be on less minutes. We just don't have the guys to fill in.

MightyDM
09-29-2021, 07:56 PM
"Javi ball" looking good again tonight.

A lot of the errors are on the players tonight - not the tactics. Good to see.

Half time adjustments obviously worked.

MightyDM
09-29-2021, 07:57 PM
Bradley’s penchant for losing the ball or passing it away in less than idea places seems to be increasing of late.

There was one earlier in the game that if Cinci wasn’t completely inept, they had a 3v1 and should have scored.

Yes. But he has also done some very good work. Very good and sometimes under appreciated.

Thomas
09-29-2021, 07:58 PM
Rutty running around all over, but not doing much

ag futbol
09-29-2021, 07:58 PM
The amount of responsibility place on him is unfair. He should be on less minutes. We just don't have the guys to fill in.
Fair, but the sacred cow of Bradley playing every minute still lives for the most part. That’s got to change and it isn’t just the coach who has to see that

jloome
09-29-2021, 07:59 PM
Defensive switch, keep the kid healthy. Seems the smart move.

MikeForbes
09-29-2021, 08:00 PM

He hasn't been good, but these minutes are definitely gonna benefit him in the future. He is miles ahead of Jayden Nelson.

OgtheDim
09-29-2021, 08:03 PM
Petrescu really is a holdover from MLS 2.0

jloome
09-29-2021, 08:03 PM
He hasn't been good, but these minutes are definitely gonna benefit him in the future. He is miles ahead of Jayden Nelson.
Holy shit has he ever grown.

jloome
09-29-2021, 08:04 PM
Petrescu really is a holdover from MLS 2.0
Yeah, he’s quite the momentum-killing spud out there.

ag futbol
09-29-2021, 08:06 PM
Agreed. I am guessing this is the “get him experience” part we always beg for but never see in practice.

The hope is probably he exponentially improves, along the lines of his much vaunted scouting report. Certainly seen it before… but also feels a long way away from what we’ve seen so far. Reminds me of a 15 year old Davies in terms of his contributions (not style of play, to be clear)….

Bushmancan
09-29-2021, 08:06 PM
Good read by Bono

MightyDM
09-29-2021, 08:07 PM
Yeah, he’s quite the momentum-killing spud out there.

This time, fortunately.

MikeForbes
09-29-2021, 08:08 PM
Holy shit has he ever grown.

Everytime he comes on he looks like he has grown two inches and gained 10 pounds.

jloome
09-29-2021, 08:08 PM
Ball wasn’t dead, Steve. Petrescu sucks but he can’t let that be a restart.

(Apple just sub’d Petrescu with Pet Rescue. Nice cultural awareness of a fairly common name, Apple).

MikeForbes
09-29-2021, 08:09 PM
Cincinnati is about to be locked down by the the greatest defensive striker in MLS history.

rydermike
Defensive striker time

MightyDM
Mulinho!!!!

jloome
09-29-2021, 08:10 PM
Cincinnati is about to be locked down by the the greatest defensive striker in MLS history.
Football Manager (the game) is surprisingly complimentary to mullinho, has him as a 12 dribbling, 15 finishing.

MightyDM

Brilliant.

Bushmancan
Btw… Columbus is up on Cruz Azul 1-0 at the half.

MikeForbes
Let's go!

rydermike
We're not in last place!!!

jloome
09-29-2021, 08:11 PM
Great fight back tonight. Four straight without a loss, three wins, no strikers.

i dunno boys, Perez is impressing more weekly.

MightyDM
09-29-2021, 08:12 PM
We aren’t the worst!

ag futbol
09-29-2021, 08:13 PM
Well that was kind of fun in the end. Glad I didn’t pull the plug after the fire first half

MikeForbes
Love it. Hanging out with you guys when everything is clicking is so much fun.

jloome
Three-man front with speed. Tough to defend against with Laryea and Osorio drawing defenders away as well.

MightyDM
09-29-2021, 08:14 PM
TFC coming out of the locker room so organized and positive speaks well of Perez. There were lots of times the opposite happened with Vanney, and he is our gold standard.

Thomas
09-29-2021, 08:15 PM
Perez just might deserve another shot

OgtheDim
09-29-2021, 08:17 PM
Mood of my dog

https://twitter.com/OgtheDim/status/1439400897914843139

ag futbol
09-29-2021, 08:17 PM
TFC coming out of the locker room so organized and positive speaks well of Perez. There were lots of times the opposite happened with Vanney, and he is our gold standard.
I found Vanney could never turn a game with subs. And his late game adjustments often just resulted in collapsing into our 18 and panic station defending.

Perez seems very practical but we should temper any analysis here given our basement status / write-off season. It’s a lot tougher to do these things in games that matter against motivated teams. That will be a different test if that day ever comes.

benito
09-29-2021, 08:18 PM
Very good second half! They look very dangerous when attacking and little less dangerous when defending. lol

Shaf was MOTM and soltedo played well too.

MightyDM
09-29-2021, 09:00 PM
I found Vanney could never turn a game with subs. And his late game adjustments often just resulted in collapsing into our 18 and panic station defending.

Perez seems very practical but we should temper any analysis here given our basement status / write-off season. It’s a lot tougher to do these things in games that matter against motivated teams. That will be a different test if that day ever comes.

Yes, of course. Very fair. But you can only win what is in front of you…

Slick
09-29-2021, 09:31 PM
Spectacular performance by Shaff. Very happy for him.

Another player who has been playing some solid D is Auro Jr.

jloome
09-29-2021, 09:57 PM
Spectacular performance by Shaff. Very happy for him.

Another player who has been playing some solid D is Auro Jr.

Doubtless. Best defender we've had this season. First couple of years he was sort of all over the map but playing as a sit-back third central or fullback this year he's been great. Not so hot when he played in midfield but on the defensive line he's been a rock. Surprisingly good in the air, too, for his size.

OgtheDim
09-29-2021, 09:58 PM
Not sure where Poz fits into this...

Auzzy
09-29-2021, 10:04 PM
Great game again tonight, beautiful night at BMO! Some brilliant play for stretches. It must have been a great half-time talk as well. Plus it's easier to have fun as a fan when you're expecting next to nothing, and when you haven't done much of anything interesting for 1 1/2 years.

Somebody mentioned above, CFL logos visible again tonight. I also could really see the soccer markings during the Argos highlights recently. Plus lots of brown and other crappy looking spots all around.

We didn't see any of that in recent seasons with the Argos. Plus this season TFC started here much later than normal; Argos also started later; and the weather was mostly ideal for growing grass.

Anybody have an idea what's going on? Maybe they cut the pitch maintenance budget because of the general bad financial position they're in? Any other suggestions?

jloome
09-29-2021, 10:07 PM
Jeez, I didn't realize Achara and Shaffelburg were teammates in high school! Explains the run timing a little. Shaffelburg said in a quote he thinks Soteldo has come to respect his game more and that's why they're connecting on passes; I don't know if others noticed it but for many games in a row Soteldo seemed reluctant to pass him the ball. They seem to have worked that out.

MightyDM
09-29-2021, 10:09 PM
Just watching the Vancouver game where Griffin Dorsey does seem to be doing ok for Houston. (Although no Shaff..). Maybe we do /have had/ a problem developing young players the past few seasons.

MightyDM
09-29-2021, 10:10 PM

In Spain

MightyDM
09-29-2021, 10:15 PM
Jeez, I didn't realize Achara and Shaffelburg were teammates in high school! Explains the run timing a little. Shaffelburg said in a quote he thinks Soteldo has come to respect his game more and that's why they're connecting on passes; I don't know if others noticed it but for many games in a row Soteldo seemed reluctant to pass him the ball. They seem to have worked that out.

Yes. Soteldo was using his team much more today, including the young guys. Still lots of death stares though.

noxx98
09-29-2021, 10:35 PM
After the past few games am I crazy for thinking that next year if we buy out Jozy and bring in a top DP striker, have Poz back (or bring in another DP attacker), get a new CB to replace Omar, and do a mild bench refresh (Mullins, Zavs, Morrow, Dwyer) that we are a top team in the east? The core is still there, we just need a refresh at the DP level which is just spending money and bring in a few new MLS level bench players. Maybe I’m out to lunch, but I think we will be really good next year.

glaze
09-30-2021, 12:01 AM
Great game again tonight, beautiful night at BMO! Some brilliant play for stretches. It must have been a great half-time talk as well. Plus it's easier to have fun as a fan when you're expecting next to nothing, and when you haven't done much of anything interesting for 1 1/2 years.

Somebody mentioned above, CFL logos visible again tonight. I also could really see the soccer markings during the Argos highlights recently. Plus lots of brown and other crappy looking spots all around.

We didn't see any of that in recent seasons with the Argos. Plus this season TFC started here much later than normal; Argos also started later; and the weather was mostly ideal for growing grass.

Anybody have an idea what's going on? Maybe they cut the pitch maintenance budget because of the general bad financial position they're in? Any other suggestions?

The issue isn't so much the lines. This season has been such a writeoff, and with the condensed dates, I'll give them a break on that. But, post world cup, there may be a temptation to go back to plastic. Its easier and cheaper to maintain, and it opens up more revenue possibilities with more events. MLSE just doesnt seem engaged in TFC right now. What if our field is complete garbage for the next Canada qualifiers? Let's just treat this season as a write off. But next year we may need to dust off the no argos at bmo banner.

MightyDM
09-30-2021, 09:39 AM
The issue isn't so much the lines. This season has been such a writeoff, and with the condensed dates, I'll give them a break on that. But, post world cup, there may be a temptation to go back to plastic. Its easier and cheaper to maintain, and it opens up more revenue possibilities with more events. MLSE just doesnt seem engaged in TFC right now. What if our field is complete garbage for the next Canada qualifiers? Let's just treat this season as a write off. But next year we may need to dust off the no argos at bmo banner.

Boy are you reasonable. I never put the “no Argos at BMO” away…

Ultra & Proud
09-30-2021, 10:01 AM
Probably time to let him go home. A mutual consent termination seems likely.

Solteldo currently fitting better into our current faster paced system and having Poz back will slow that down again. Hopefully our re-tooling this off season includes an emphasis on speed because we need it and right now, it's what's working for us.

ensco
09-30-2021, 10:04 AM
https://twitter.com/iamdavidmiller/status/1443354816390971392?s=20

ensco
09-30-2021, 10:07 AM
Probably time to let him go home. A mutual consent termination seems likely.

Doubt it. If you are right, I would like to be a fly on the wall for this conversation between Manning and the board.

Last time we heard from Manning/Curtis on this, it was about their heroics in managing to get Poz for a 10M euro transfer (which had a 2M euro sweetener thrown in for bungling). This wasn't that long ago...

jloome
09-30-2021, 10:37 AM
Doubt it. If you are right, I would like to be a fly on the wall for this conversation between Manning and the board.

Last time we heard from Manning/Curtis on this, it was about their heroics in managing to get Poz for a 10M euro transfer (which had a 2M euro sweetener thrown in for bungling). This wasn't that long ago...

He's not going anywhere. Outside of the fact that he's making much more money here, Santos are in deep financial shit. They still haven't finished paying off his initial purchase.

On top of that, he has nine assists. He's a deadly effective player as a false nine. He just can't hit the broad side, shooting wise.

To me the bigger issue is how we fit him and Poz in basically the same role. I don't think Pozuelo wants to stay here. Could well be wrong, may just be repeatedly injured, but the fact that he's always training alone and repeatedly has unspecific "lower body" problems all seems a bit worrisome. I mean, he may just have a bad groin pull, which is so easy to reinjure it can be a career limiter. But it seems a bit unlikely given his relatively ironman past.

I can see them terminating his deal by mutual consent if he can line up a club in Spain. Letting go of Piatti probably didn't help, that was a dumb move given that he could score the odd important goal AND seemed like Pozuelo was happy to have him here.

Prof
09-30-2021, 10:52 AM
After the past few games am I crazy for thinking that next year if we buy out Jozy and bring in a top DP striker, have Poz back (or bring in another DP attacker), get a new CB to replace Omar, and do a mild bench refresh (Mullins, Zavs, Morrow, Dwyer) that we are a top team in the east? The core is still there, we just need a refresh at the DP level which is just spending money and bring in a few new MLS level bench players. Maybe I’m out to lunch, but I think we will be really good next year.

I agree the team is finally looking good again. Still a few weaknesses. I believe Westburg, DeLeon, Gonzales, Dwyer, Mullins, Endoh, Altidore will be released. Of the young guys 4 have shown that they can play in this league. I agree we need to shore up the defense with a new CB and add a quality DP striker and we will be competing for the top spot again. Great game last night and huge bonus with so few fans there you can pick your seat wherever you want.:drinking:

Ultra & Proud
09-30-2021, 11:48 AM
He's not going anywhere. Outside of the fact that he's making much more money here, Santos are in deep financial shit. They still haven't finished paying off his initial purchase.

On top of that, he has nine assists. He's a deadly effective player as a false nine. He just can't hit the broad side, shooting wise.

To me the bigger issue is how we fit him and Poz in basically the same role. I don't think Pozuelo wants to stay here. Could well be wrong, may just be repeatedly injured, but the fact that he's always training alone and repeatedly has unspecific "lower body" problems all seems a bit worrisome. I mean, he may just have a bad groin pull, which is so easy to reinjure it can be a career limiter. But it seems a bit unlikely given his relatively ironman past.

I can see them terminating his deal by mutual consent if he can line up a club in Spain. Letting go of Piatti probably didn't help, that was a dumb move given that he could score the odd important goal AND seemed like Pozuelo was happy to have him here.
This was about Pozuelo leaving not Solteldo. I said he will probably be allowed to mutually terminate his contract so he can go home and we would keep Soteldo as a forward.

jloome
09-30-2021, 12:35 PM
This was about Pozuelo leaving not Solteldo. I said he will probably be allowed to mutually terminate his contract so he can go home and we would keep Soteldo as a forward.

Lordy, I'm reading everything wrong the last few days. ADHD, you are a fickle condition. Hyperfocus, my butt. Sorry about that.

Bushmancan
09-30-2021, 01:10 PM
So what you are really saying we have two DPs that for the most part play a similar role.... correct. #FIRECURTIS. No Striker and no CB, 2nd last place, most goals allowed, fourth fewest goals. Love the players but seriously cannot let Curtis off the hook.

Ultra & Proud
09-30-2021, 02:06 PM
So what you are really saying we have two DPs that for the most part play a similar role.

I don't really think they do but it's obvious Solteldo works best in a fast moving, decisive, counter attacking team. Main thing; attacking directly with pace. Since we moved more to this due to personel, he has looked DP level and a player to build with next year. Presently only Bradley is killing the flow. Add Pozuelo in and he is less effective in this set up and will slow it down to our old possession based approach.

So basically Curtis spent zero thought on how they might work together or if either player can fit the system we use. Luckily by circumstance we have seen that Soteldo works well in a system like we've been playing recently and we should build on that as it's effective and actually fun to watch.

Previously I have wanted a hard house cleaning and I still sort of do but I have softened on Perez. Still want more out of our DPs and more team speed however I now think we could re-tool for 2022 but not with Curtis. He needs to go. With him we have no future.

Richard
09-30-2021, 02:24 PM
No one should be fooled by these results.

It's classic garbage time games with no pressure when you've been out of the running for months. Just ask any Leaf fan. Some of these guys are fighting fighting for their football careers.

Get Bob Bradley and make Perez the assistant. That would get the ball rolling.

portu
09-30-2021, 02:35 PM
No one should be fooled by these results.

It's classic garbage time games with no pressure when you've been out of the running for months. Just ask any Leaf fan. Some of these guys are fighting fighting for their football careers.

Get Bob Bradley and make Perez the assistant. That would get the ball rolling.
We're so bad that we've reached the point where making mistakes that go unpunished and mediocre performances can start to impress (in terms of the players and coaching/management). Everyone should bear that in mind when evaluating the last bit of the season.

Ultra & Proud
09-30-2021, 02:59 PM
We're so bad that we've reached the point where making mistakes that go unpunished and mediocre performances can start to impress (in terms of the players and coaching/management).

This is our new normal.

OgtheDim
09-30-2021, 04:56 PM
We're so bad that we've reached the point where making mistakes that go unpunished and mediocre performances can start to impress (in terms of the players and coaching/management). Everyone should bear that in mind when evaluating the last bit of the season.

I've been contemplating this. I think the approach of 3 mobile attackers cutting lanes can be successful in MLS up to a certain point. What we see in Shaff, Soteldo & Achara is a pretty standard attacking approach in this league. Where it breaks down is when people can't get the ball to that front 3 or teams can't get the counter attacks started.

Nobody is saying we are seeing a Toronto version of the Liverpool attack quality here. What we are seeing is MLS standard attack quality. Can work - doesn't always.

I would say that Shaffs movement has significantly improved & Soteldo quick passing is making a difference & Achara is taking up space he hasn't always occupied causing defences to have to think a bit.

Its good for 2022 but its not "keep Perez" time.

ag futbol
09-30-2021, 05:32 PM
I've been contemplating this. I think the approach of 3 mobile attackers cutting lanes can be successful in MLS up to a certain point. What we see in Shaff, Soteldo & Achara is a pretty standard attacking approach in this league. Where it breaks down is when people can't get the ball to that front 3 or teams can't get the counter attacks started.

Nobody is saying we are seeing a Toronto version of the Liverpool attack quality here. What we are seeing is MLS standard attack quality. Can work - doesn't always.

I would say that Shaffs movement has significantly improved & Soteldo quick passing is making a difference & Achara is taking up space he hasn't always occupied causing defences to have to think a bit.

Its good for 2022 but its not "keep Perez" time.
I think there are a few different ways we could build / improve on this. 1) we absolutely have to find a striker who scores in buckets. Minimally gets us to 10 goals a year but has a chance to be one of the best in MLS and bag 15 plus. 2) make sure there is competition for spots up top and squad rotation 3) make sure the midfield is solid and don’t be afraid to upgrade that area of the roster if performance slips. Bradley, Delgado, or Osorio are all looking a little less dominant than they used to be.

portu
09-30-2021, 11:30 PM
Also remember that Akinola has to come back and will likely start up top

jloome
10-01-2021, 12:47 AM

He's not ready to be our number one striker.

We should be looking for someone who can challenge for scoring titles. With a great player like Poz setting him up, he's probabyl a 10-15 a year guy now, which is basically what we got out of Altidore most years. But if we end up buying out Jozy or Poz, or even have high TAM from Omar leaving or being downgraded, we need to get a guy who's lethal from a speed, positioning and finishing perspective.

We should look to Mexico and Colombia. Both have guys we could land in TAM area that would be good for 15-20. Brazil's money situation is dire and there are guys in the local city leagues and second division that could score 20 in MLS.

Also, Eastern Europe and the Balkan. Serbia, Montenegro, Bosnia, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland... there are a lot of leagues around the same quality as MLS where the pay isn't as good or consistent. There are usually one or two cheap players a year in Finland worth looking at.

We've always had a connection-based track record of transfers, guys who know guys. We miss out on players from the broader football world, and yet other MLS clubs seem to have at least started figuring this out.

ag futbol
10-01-2021, 07:16 AM
I would make him the sub option. Given his injury history and other factors I wouldn’t hang out on this bring our goal scoring threat

jabbronies
10-01-2021, 09:19 AM
I would make him the sub option. Given his injury history and other factors I wouldn’t hang out on this bring our goal scoring threat

Agreed. I see a DP striker as our first option - with Ayo and Achara being the subs off the bench. (no more Mullins or Dwyer)
If either Ayo or Achara start to show big time promise, change the formation to allow 2 strikers on the field.

Bushmancan
10-02-2021, 04:45 AM
I see Achara as more of a winger that gets into the box. In fact, last year I was hoping to see him on the left side of Jozy. (that got shattered) I am just glad he is being effective on the right, but keep in mind our last game was against a bottom feeder. We definitely will need a first team Striker. But it is at least good seeing some chemistry in the final 3rd and Shaf gaining confidence.

portu
10-02-2021, 12:40 PM
Agreed. I see a DP striker as our first option - with Ayo and Achara being the subs off the bench. (no more Mullins or Dwyer)
If either Ayo or Achara start to show big time promise, change the formation to allow 2 strikers on the field.
Strongly disagree. TAM is the right way to go here. We do not need another player that feels obligated to start at the behest of a good young player (see: Jozy vs Ayo, 2020). There needs to be competition and a decent TAM guy will net 10-15 easy (which is what Jozy did for us in his best years).

ag futbol
10-02-2021, 01:57 PM
Strongly disagree. TAM is the right way to go here. We do not need another player that feels obligated to start at the behest of a good young player (see: Jozy vs Ayo, 2020). There needs to be competition and a decent TAM guy will net 10-15 easy (which is what Jozy did for us in his best years).
i would say we don’t need another coach / management team that cannot tell players the truth about their performances and the right place on the roster based on actual form. Or heck, makes signings that underperform where these issues crop up in the first place. Nobody every questioned Giovinco’s place in the lineup.

While there are budget options in this league that score goals they are still pretty hard to come by. Your DP slot is still the safest bet. I would guess when someone raises MLS cup this year, it’s going to be behind a high priced strike force and not one of the teams who is getting a lot of value out of a lower paid option as their primary goal scorer.

Now all that said, there should still be room for Ayo to show what he’s got. There’s enough fixture congestion now where a 2nd choice striker should still be getting significant minutes.

MightyDM
10-02-2021, 08:07 PM
What we need is someone to score goals when we absolutely must have them, as Gio and Jozy did in 2016 - 2018. That’s quite a different thing to a 15 goal a year player.

jabbronies
10-03-2021, 08:34 PM

So what do you do with your other DP slot?

Yohan
10-04-2021, 03:48 AM
Transfer fee + wages isn't going to net you a 10-15 goal scorer buying from outside MLS at TAM level (unless your scouting network is really really good at finding hidden gems)