PDA

View Full Version : Justin Morrow Announces Retirement

Red CB Toronto
09-16-2021, 12:16 PM
Best of luck to him as he has a higher calling for the greater good of humanity as announced today that he will be retiring at the end of the 2021 season, completing a highly decorated 12-year career in Major League Soccer.

https://www.torontofc.ca/news/justin-morrow-announces-retirement

jabbronies
09-16-2021, 12:21 PM
Not surprised. His decline was rapid.

rydermike
09-16-2021, 12:23 PM
If he's retiring only after the season, why announce it now when he's still going to play? I guess the whole point is to deflect news from the fact we're in last place.

jloome
09-16-2021, 12:36 PM
A great player, a great champion, a tireless community man and an example to younger players.

Ultra & Proud
09-16-2021, 12:36 PM
If he's retiring only after the season, why announce it now when he's still going to play? I guess the whole point is to deflect news from the fact we're in last place.

I don't think anything will deflect the fact that we're garbage. Probably done so home fans can applaud him down the stretch.

noxx98
09-16-2021, 12:38 PM
An absolute legend. Was instrumental in our turnaround. Also major props for taking a significant pay cut to stay with the team this off season, even though we ended up using the savings to bring in someone like Dwyer…

Canary10
09-16-2021, 12:40 PM
Legend. He was a key part of one of the best MLS teams of all time. He'll be missed. All the best in the future, Justin.

MikeForbes
09-16-2021, 12:40 PM
Love Justin Morrow. Glad he gets to retire here in Toronto. Got a feeling he might have a job in the front office lined up.

Richard
09-16-2021, 12:45 PM
Best fullback we have ever had.

Best of luck to him.

reggie
09-16-2021, 12:52 PM
true class:scarf:
now we only have one lb on the roster,im sure curtis is working hard to find a replacement by mid aug of next year

rydermike
09-16-2021, 12:58 PM
Probably done so home fans can applaud him down the stretch.

True, that's a good point. I hadn't thought of that. A guy like Morrow does deserve a bit of a farewell tour.

mowe
09-16-2021, 01:00 PM
By all accounts a great guy. Key part of our best teams too.

Good luck to him.

Kamp Berg
09-16-2021, 01:31 PM
I was really happy they resigned him(maybe Curtis’ best move?) so he could retire here and (hopefully) continue his good work. It’s essential to have people with true character in an organization. Hopefully he stays and can rub-off on the FO!

Auzzy
09-16-2021, 03:03 PM
Congrats Justin! Nice to be able to retire on your own terms.

I think the timing is ideal. Nobody is expecting much from this season anymore. We have a couple more home games where Justin can be applauded, as we can't guarantee he'll be playing every game. He can also remove himself from the stench and anguish of this season a bit: come to the remaining games, put in his shift on the field or on the bench, w/o worrying about long-term implications. Who knows, maybe he even announces his next career move before the end of the season. The announcement today frees him up for that w/o pissing people off.

benito
09-16-2021, 03:05 PM
Congrats to Justin on all his achievements in his career and with this team! I hope the organization finds a way to keep him around as he seems be of good character and is well respected.

noimpactinmtl
09-16-2021, 05:49 PM
true class:scarf:
now we only have one lb on the roster,im sure curtis is working hard to find a replacement by mid aug of next year

Shaffelberg's best position might be at left back. He doesn't have the touch to play winger, but can provide overlap and underlap support.

OgtheDim
09-16-2021, 09:12 PM
Shaffelberg's best position might be at left back. He doesn't have the touch to play winger, but can provide overlap and underlap support.

Did you see him on Tuesday night?

Initial B
09-16-2021, 09:22 PM
Morrow was a great asset when in his prime. The back with him, Beitashour, and Moor was probably the best backline we've ever had.

Red CB Toronto
09-16-2021, 09:48 PM

Many athletes announce that this is going to be their last season all the time. Some even get a pretty big farewell tour as they play their last games in each stadium.

Red CB Toronto
09-16-2021, 09:53 PM
Not surprised. His decline was rapid.

You could say the same thing about Drew Moor and he is still playing to some extent, but provides great leadership, which obviously Colorado values even though he has played 37 games over the last four seasons.

James17930
09-17-2021, 12:51 AM
I hope he stays with the club in some capacity.

jabbronies
09-17-2021, 09:02 AM
You could say the same thing about Drew Moor and he is still playing to some extent, but provides great leadership, which obviously Colorado values even though he has played 37 games over the last four seasons.

Two different players who made their mark is two different ways.

- Morrow's game relied on speed. Drew's didn't, so speed or lack there of isn't an issue for him, it's more about durability at this point and he's managing that.

- Morrow isn't a talker on the field, so leadership is really only by example; whereas Drew never shuts up, he's an excellent communicator/coordinator and has the IQ to move players around to compensate for what he lacks.

Watching Morrow over the past two seasons has been painful. He's not the same player even compared to the 2019 season. Unfortunately he's unable to contribute the things that made him great

I hope he stays with the club in some capacity.

Same here.

MightyDM
09-17-2021, 10:38 AM
Superb player for us, and solid even now. (If only we had aging centre backs the equivalent quality, eh?). Incredible contribution to this club, to his fellow players and to anti racism. He will make a huge difference post playing too.

noimpactinmtl
09-17-2021, 11:28 AM
Did you see him on Tuesday night?

Morrow’s best moments happened when he was the overlapping attacker. Think poor man’s Alphonso Davies rather than a defensive left back.

Shaffelburg with the liberty to make overlapping runs out wide as a left back will free Soteldo (if he stays). Mavinga is more than capable of covering Shaffelburg while we have someone like Bradley dropping between space.

These days, left backs are not only required to defend width, but to provide width or underlap into half space.

jloome
09-17-2021, 12:48 PM
Morrow’s best moments happened when he was the overlapping attacker. Think poor man’s Alphonso Davies rather than a defensive left back.

Shaffelburg with the liberty to make overlapping runs out wide as a left back will free Soteldo (if he stays). Mavinga is more than capable of covering Shaffelburg while we have someone like Bradley dropping between space.

These days, left backs are not only required to defend width, but to provide width or underlap into half space.

Shaffelburg is a good defender but he's also showing himself to be a good pure winger, too. He could play either, wide as a wing forward or wide as a wingback, I imagine, same as Ritchie.

But I figure he offers more to us as a winger/wing forward right now. Not only do we have two guys who can play left back (Auro is two-footed) but Shaffelburg is less likely to beat defenders purely on the dribble, more likely to use speed and cutting angles to open up the cross. So, really, in the long run it probably makes sense to keep him as a pure winger, holding the ball for less time and being more explosive, but consider he might be suited to wingback as well.