PDA

View Full Version : Nigel Reed

TFC USA
08-06-2008, 11:42 AM
Hello, I'm new here but have been to these boards for a long time as a guest. I've been a TFC fan since its inception, and I think Jeff Cunningham is probably the worst striker in MLS right now. First post, so here it goes.

I'm a big fan of the CBC's Nigel Reed. What do you guys think of him as the unofficial voice of Toronto FC? I think he has improved from the first year, but he tends to get player's names wrong quite often. Sounds more excited when Toronto scores, and for that matter, when the other team scores. He's not the best, but he's very good, and if seeing as most of you can't stand ESPN announcers, he'll be like Martin Tyler after listening to those clowns.

Yes, I'm an American, and I admit, our soccer announcers are garbage.

On a side note, why are you guys picking on CBC? You do realize that you have the most nationally televised games in MLS right? They could just air most games on Rogers Sportsnet Ontario and have 3 or 4 on the CBC networks. You get 14 games on the CBC networks while Seattle Sounders FC in their first year, will pretty much get games on local TV for well over 25 games this season.

I love the CBC, and while they need to work on replays and how to fix their annoying camera problems, they are still doing a great job covering futbol.

ilikemusic
08-06-2008, 11:44 AM
Welcome aboard.

My only comment really is that national coverage in the US and national coverage in Canada are two completely different animals.

Stryker
08-06-2008, 11:52 AM
Im a fan of Rigel, wouldn't have anyone else calling the games. I find the british commentator adds a degree of credibility to TFC as a pro football team. That having been said, the nay sayers like Toth probley view it as pretencious.
CBC covers the game adequtely and IMO... are currently the best in doing so.
Production seems alittle on the shoddy side though.

TFC USA
08-06-2008, 11:54 AM
Rigel?

Scooby Dooby DOO!!! :D

Mike Toth wrote an article on the World Cup 2 years ago, saying how the British announcers were boring (Dave Woods, Gary Bloom, etc.), while some are (See: Tony Jones), most aren't and are quite animated (Ian Darke).

Toth probably wants Steve Armitage telling you when a player has been sent off.

Stryker
08-06-2008, 11:56 AM
Damn you lol!
Nigel.

TFC USA
08-06-2008, 11:58 AM
Haha.

Jason DeVos is up and down for me, he talks about the same thing over and over again, but he is better than Bob Lenarduzzi, who talks nonstop.

Roogsy
08-06-2008, 12:01 PM
I like Nigel...and he is getting better as he gets more comfortable. I would hate to see a change there.

I thought the chemistry with Craig Forrest was better than with DeVos but we will see if that improves as well. I am not a big fan of DeVos because he seems a little biased against TFC and for L'Impact for obvious reasons.

romburgundy
08-06-2008, 12:01 PM
Rigel?

Scooby Dooby DOO!!! :D

Mike Toth wrote an article on the World Cup 2 years ago, saying how the British announcers were boring (Dave Woods, Gary Bloom, etc.), while some are (See: Tony Jones), most aren't and are quite animated (Ian Darke).

Toth probably wants Steve Armitage telling you when a player has been sent off.

Commence Mike Toth Bashing ... and Go..

AL-MO
08-06-2008, 12:04 PM
Commence Mike Toth Bashing ... and Go..

Lets not...

VPjr
08-06-2008, 12:06 PM
I'm biased but I think Nigel is very good at footy play by play. He doesn't talk too much (like the typical north american announcer does) and he's got the knack for pulling memorable calls out of his bag of tricks (i.e. Dichio's first goal, Dichio's last goal last year, etc...).

I like DeVos. He's got room for improvement but I like him.

mclaren
08-06-2008, 12:06 PM
Thanks for your first post, but there's no need to start off with a dig at a current TFC player.

dupont
08-06-2008, 12:27 PM
I have to agree. I can watch almost every TFC game on regular tv. The production and camera work need to be improved of course but it's still very early on. Before Toronto started playing their first season, I never in my wildest dreams thought that almost every game would be televised. I'm pretty happy with it so far and I think that if the rating eventually go up then so would the amount of money spent on the broadcasts.

Captain Croatia
08-06-2008, 12:33 PM
Nigel Reed and Craig Forrest FTW!

S_D
08-06-2008, 12:40 PM
Welcome!

And you know you are right about CBC... just imagine if all of our games were US feed pickups like on the score. The U.S. feeds usually generate as much backlash as a poor effort by the team.

Thanks for your first post, but there's no need to start off with a dig at a current TFC player.

I didn't know you had to have a certain number of posts before you could bash Cunningham ;). I think it took me about a thousand posts (this and exoboard) before I finally broke down and agreed. He's saving himself a lot of time :D

joel
08-06-2008, 12:52 PM
Yeah I think Nigel is good, doesn't talk too much, it just seems at big plays he doesn't get as emphatic as he could. It's kind of like..oh look, a goal, and there it is...

Obviously we'd all like to have Martin Tyler calling our games, but if I was a british commentator, that's who I would be looking to emulate. He has the right balance.

He heightens the experience at the right times

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=YLd4R7XyWoU

Rawkus_420
08-06-2008, 12:57 PM
[quote=TFC USA;123874]

I think he has improved from the first year, but he tends to get player's names wrong quite often.

quote]

I think he gest confused with the africans, I swear Ive heard him call ibby cunningham and vice versa, I remember he called ibby but shitheads name and I was like wow cunny is looking good and then I realized he had the name wrong hahaha, he s not racist and neither am I , I just think the he gets confused!:canada: but yes overall I liek him as an announcer, way better than that kid that sounds like hes 16 , who waits for mins on end just to get a word in about something that happned 5 mins ago( that guy is the worst!!!) I dont know his name, but you can hear him dwelling on the same thought becauise he keeps on trying to interject , so you'll just hear the same word like 4 or 5 times until hes gets his chance to "shine".

SilverSamurai
08-06-2008, 01:00 PM
Same here.
Although I wouldn't mind a Spanish feed. ;)
But I'm glad we have Nigel doing our play by play.
He's a TFC fan he's mentioned often so that's probably why he's a bit biased. DeVos is meh, but hopefully he'll get better over time.

t.o_moose
08-06-2008, 01:51 PM

definitely.

I'm just glad that we don't have those gimmicky, catch phrase based commentators that you hear occasionally on the US feeds... you know.. the "it's in the NET!" guy.. or that guy who yells: "yyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeaaahhhhhh!!"

joel
08-06-2008, 02:10 PM
haha the yeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh guy is kinda funny just because its always the same cheese delivery lol

but honestly when you call a soccer goal you scream the players name, not goal, not this that or the other thing

Azerban
08-06-2008, 02:13 PM
definitely.

or that guy who yells: "yyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeaaahhhhhh!!"

max bretos is awesome

also that guy who says "and he unleashes THE LASER"

TFC USA
08-06-2008, 02:14 PM
I'm rolling here.

Dave Johnson from DC United is the commentator who goes "It's in the net! It's in the net!".

Max Bretos is the "YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!" guy from Fulham and Serie A Cha.....Fox Soccer Channel.

TFC USA
08-06-2008, 02:19 PM
You guys ever hear of Dave O'Brien from World Cup 2006?

CanuckPete
08-06-2008, 02:34 PM
I'm a big Nigel fan.

And I don't mind DeVos at all. I think he is getting stronger.

Nestease
08-06-2008, 02:44 PM
Nigel Reed: "Edu makes a run. Im sorry, Rohan Ricketts. Passes to Cunningham, no wait, Edu. Actually, it's Wynne. He makes the cross, wonderful header by Edu or Cunningham."

Captain Croatia
08-06-2008, 02:46 PM
I'm a big Nigel fan.

And I don't mind DeVos at all. I think he is getting stronger.

DeVos is coming along. I think Nigel and Forrest are #1, due to their passion for TFC, even if Nigel messes up names, he makes his call smore passionate then anyone else IMO.

SilverSamurai
08-06-2008, 03:25 PM
DeVos is coming along. I think Nigel and Forrest are #1, due to their passion for TFC, even if Nigel messes up names, he makes his call smore passionate then anyone else IMO.
Should've heard him during the Canadian Open games. He was really into it. Even DeVos started getting into the Impact game.

Richard D
08-06-2008, 10:55 PM
Nigel rules.

NateDoGG
08-06-2008, 11:03 PM
i like nigel
he is top class

MisterMacphisto
08-06-2008, 11:15 PM
The last game, Nigel for me... had the best comment ever. Talking about the Ref for the FC Dalllas game.... "They say the best refs are the ones you barely notice. Well, we've certainly noticed this ref today."

*Bam* Backhand Bitch slap to the face to the fucking ref.

Brooker
08-06-2008, 11:48 PM
The last game, Nigel for me... had the best comment ever. Talking about the Ref for the FC Dalllas game.... "They say the best refs are the ones you barely notice. Well, we've certainly noticed this ref today."

roflmao... that is classic.

Nigel could do no wrong in my books.. i love the guy. his goal calls are amazing. that give me chills. i don't hear him that often cause im at all the home games but i remember loving him for the whole 90 minutes last year when i had no season tix. :)

NIGELLLL!!!!!

Captain Croatia
08-07-2008, 12:09 AM

Now to put words into action:canada: