PDA

View Full Version : MLS Match Day 16 Nasvhille @ TFC Sunday August 1st 7:38pm Come On Lets Go

OgtheDim
07-27-2021, 06:23 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuSIQ1b0n2A

Have At It People

Graeme
07-27-2021, 07:44 AM
Hopefully we'll see all 3 DPs start this game. Jozy looked a little gassed on Saturday, but that was the 3rd game in a week and he did play 26 + 36 + 45 minutes.

MikeForbes
07-27-2021, 07:53 AM
Hopefully we'll see all 3 DPs start this game. Jozy looked a little gassed on Saturday, but that was the 3rd game in a week and he did play 26 + 36 + 45 minutes.

Yeah. Jozy for 60 seems reasonable. Not sure we see him go too much over 70-75 minutes again as a player.

613reppingTFC
07-27-2021, 08:31 AM
Yeah. Jozy for 60 seems reasonable. Not sure we see him go too much over 70-75 minutes again as a player.

I get Jozy hasn't played since May, but he also isn't coming off of an injury. Do you not think we should be expecting more from our DP player, should he not be in shape by this point as he was sent off to train on his own and not sent off on vacation? I know we don't want to push him to get injured again..and yes he did look tired during that game but he also only played 107 minutes in 3 games over a week. He isn't doing nor expected to do the running that say a midfield like Delgado would do..so not too sure really where I'm going with this, just a bit of a rant I guess...

Ultra & Proud
07-27-2021, 09:05 AM
I get Jozy hasn't played since May, but he also isn't coming off of an injury. Do you not think we should be expecting more from our DP player, should he not be in shape by this point as he was sent off to train on his own and not sent off on vacation? I know we don't want to push him to get injured again..and yes he did look tired during that game but he also only played 107 minutes in 3 games over a week. He isn't doing nor expected to do the running that say a midfield like Delgado would do..so not too sure really where I'm going with this, just a bit of a rant I guess...
By now we all know the answer is that Jozy does not train on his own. Or at least properly train as evidenced by his post Covid break look; no cardio and lots of weight lifting.

I admit, he's looked good since returning but I think his training habits over the past few years have made him a 60 minute player tops. That will never be a fully effective 60 minutes either. If he could manage a solid, not gassed, 45 minutes per match that would be great but he hasn't managed that in a few years. Maybe the half hour Ricketts type sub role is what he is now.

leedsandTFC
07-27-2021, 09:07 AM
Jozy
soteldo poz endoh
delgado bradley
lawrence mav OG auro
bono

osario and laryea to come on in the 2nd half if canada lose on thursday, morrow at RB if auro isn't fit

MikeForbes
07-27-2021, 09:10 AM

I do think he should be playing more, but if we push him he will probably end up missing more than the 20 minutes he will miss from being subbed off. He did go off on vacation though. He went to Wimbledon to watch his partner play.

jloome
07-27-2021, 09:55 AM
By now we all know the answer is that Jozy does not train on his own. Or at least properly train as evidenced by his post Covid break look; no cardio and lots of weight lifting.

I admit, he's looked good since returning but I think his training habits over the past few years have made him a 60 minute player tops. That will never be a fully effective 60 minutes either. If he could manage a solid, not gassed, 45 minutes per match that would be great but he hasn't managed that in a few years. Maybe the half hour Ricketts type sub role is what he is now.

This is how old I feel now: for a second I forgot about Tosaint and thought, "Nah! Rohan was more 'be brilliant for one game, be average for one game, check out for the third..."

Edit: Zimmerman is out injured, which makes this game competitive, as their defence is shit without it. Hany Mukhtar is their main threat.

jabbronies
07-27-2021, 10:07 AM
I do think he should be playing more, but if we push him he will probably end up missing more than the 20 minutes he will miss from being subbed off. He did go off on vacation though. He went to Wimbledon to watch his partner play.

TBH - He's a better option off the bench right now. I'm more inclined to keep him as a sub that splits time with Dwyer.
Neither have shown they are good for a full 90 - But they are both capable for a solid 45.

It's not a great solution...unheard of actually, but that is what seems to be working right now.

Ultra & Proud
07-27-2021, 10:28 AM
TBH - He's a better option off the bench right now. I'm more inclined to keep him as a sub that splits time with Dwyer.
Neither have shown they are good for a full 90 - But they are both capable for a solid 45.

It's not a great solution...unheard of actually, but that is what seems to be working right now.

In the past few weeks the two players that made me throw stuff around, swear, and question life have been Gonzalez & Dwyer. That being said, Dwyer has shown at least some signs of adequacy lately. There's times where he almost looks like he can contribute. Have to see if it's for real and he is just shaking off rust or it's a fluke.

Omar however is in a hopreless downward spiral and I forsee much foul language & many thrown objects over the next few months.

MightyDM
07-27-2021, 11:18 AM

Jozy looks fit - just not match fit. And that’s the problem with training on your own. This one is on management.

Ultra & Proud
07-27-2021, 11:44 AM
Jozy looks fit - just not match fit. And that’s the problem with training on your own. This one is on management.
He's a veteran and a pro plus he has access to good, high level training with his partner. During the Covid break he showed videos of her doing very hard training while he apparently just filmed. The whole team trained on their own then and the only one not in any kind of match shape upon return was Jozy. It's his routine now and it shouldn't be defended no matter how much anyone likes him.

ensco
07-27-2021, 12:15 PM
This is a tough test. Expect goals.

Nashville have been extremely good the last few games, and they score for fun against teams without an elite backline.

Richard
07-27-2021, 12:23 PM
Park the bus. 5-4-1. Three centre backs, and jam the middle. Without having our preferred midfield and fullbacks we've go to make this an ugly game.

It Preki ball time!

Ultra & Proud
07-27-2021, 12:56 PM
SHould have Auro, Lawrence, and Captain Zavs back though so we're looking better at the back.

leedsandTFC
07-27-2021, 01:04 PM
Park the bus. 5-4-1. Three centre backs, and jam the middle. Without having our preferred midfield and fullbacks we've go to make this an ugly game.

It Preki ball time!

we'll have fullbacks this game.

lawrence, morrow both back.

auro very likely too

Graeme
07-27-2021, 01:37 PM
He's a veteran and a pro plus he has access to good, high level training with his partner. During the Covid break he showed videos of her doing very hard training while he apparently just filmed. The whole team trained on their own then and the only one not in any kind of match shape upon return was Jozy. It's his routine now and it shouldn't be defended no matter how much anyone likes him.
This is not rue. Akinola was not in 100% shape either. Poz also not looking up to speed.

jabbronies
07-27-2021, 02:32 PM
Omar however is in a hopreless downward spiral and I forsee much foul language & many thrown objects over the next few months.

ya I've tried to back him up, but it's getting harder and harder to do so.

I think there are way to mitigate his downward spiral and TBH I'd rather do that as oppose bring in a kid or Zavaleta to fill the spot.

We do need a CB replacement though. Sucks considering we just went over this whole replacement scenario with Drew Moor and look how m=long it took to do that - at least this time around we are not completely SOL like before,

Ultra & Proud
07-27-2021, 02:41 PM
This is not rue. Akinola was not in 100% shape either. Poz also not looking up to speed.
Poz coming back from an injury. Akinola was too.

As often as Jozy is injured you would assume he was as well but not the two times I mentioned. I'm not even starting with the customary 6 weeks to get back to his "half a match" fitness levels after his injuries.

jloome
07-27-2021, 03:34 PM
I'm calling it 2-1 again. But with fewer shots against this time.

We need to control the clock against these guys or they'll set up in our end and wreak havoc. Their forward movement is very good. Their defensive cohort has been far less steady this year. Zimmerman is a really big miss for them.

That's probably wholly optimistic, but it worked last week, and despite my disdain for bias and beliefs, I'm full of them, and it, like everyone else.

2-1 TFC, Pozuelo and Dwyer both get goals.

MightyDM
07-27-2021, 04:25 PM
Poz coming back from an injury. Akinola was too.

As often as Jozy is injured you would assume he was as well but not the two times I mentioned. I'm not even starting with the customary 6 weeks to get back to his "half a match" fitness levels after his injuries.

He looked out of shape last year. But looks very fit this year - slimmer, lean.

It’s not fair or accurate to blame him on this occasion for being out of shape when every other pro who “trains on his own” does not return match fit. That’s just how it works. Train on own - train with club - game on B team - sub - starter is the progression. Jozy skipped steps 2 and 3

MightyDM
07-27-2021, 04:26 PM
I'm calling it 2-1 again. But with fewer shots against this time.

We need to control the clock against these guys or they'll set up in our end and wreak havoc. Their forward movement is very good. Their defensive cohort has been far less steady this year. Zimmerman is a really big miss for them.

That's probably wholly optimistic, but it worked last week, and despite my disdain for bias and beliefs, I'm full of them, and it, like everyone else.

2-1 TFC, Pozuelo and Dwyer both get goals.

3-2. Add Jozy to the list.

Ultra & Proud
07-27-2021, 04:56 PM
I think there are way to mitigate his downward spiral and TBH I'd rather do that as oppose bring in a kid or Zavaleta to fill the spot.

I figured we should have him in the center of a 3 CB back line like we did with Moor. Might be the only way to prevent him from wandering laterally.

MikeForbes
07-27-2021, 05:47 PM
Our best CB pairing is sadly Mavinga and Zavaleta right now. Omar has become a massive liability and I seriously doubt we are sniffing playoffs if he is trotted out there every game.

ensco
07-27-2021, 06:34 PM
"My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr

Bushmancan
07-27-2021, 07:07 PM
osario and laryea to come on in the 2nd half if canada lose on thursday, morrow at RB if auro isn't fit

Not that i don't want them back but nothing would be more satisfying than to beat Mexico.

Luanda
07-27-2021, 09:39 PM
Anything can always happen, of course.
But, I am afraid that the spread between the 2 teams is just too great, especially with so many of our best players out. Canada currently sits 70 while Mexico is 10 (if I am not mistaken)

ensco
07-27-2021, 10:21 PM
I always thought Tesho was going to be that guy but it has never come together for him.

He will never get a shot like this again, he has to take it.

jloome
07-27-2021, 11:28 PM
Nashville is now missing Walker to injury, Lovitz and Maher as well to COVID protocol, and Anibal Godoy to injury.

So half their defence is out, along with the second-leading assist guy and their DP Johnnier Cadiz.

leedsandTFC
07-27-2021, 11:30 PM
I just noticed that Nashville have only played 4 out of their 15 games away from home so far, without any wins (3 draws, 1 defeat).

kind of ridiculous that the schedule can be so lopsided.

portu
07-28-2021, 12:51 AM
Now that we have Soteldo to help carry the load in midfield playing Poz as a false nine could be incredibly viable.

Canary10
07-28-2021, 08:33 AM
Nashville is now missing Walker to injury, Lovitz and Maher as well to COVID protocol, and Anibal Godoy to injury.

So half their defence is out, along with the second-leading assist guy and their DP Johnnier Cadiz.

Does Covid protocol mean not double vaxxed in this case?

ag futbol
07-28-2021, 08:36 AM

Unfortunate all around but perhaps a good opportunity for us to pick up points here.

Ultra & Proud
07-28-2021, 08:38 AM
Does Covid protocol mean not double vaxxed in this case?
Either that or they were exposed at some point.

jabbronies
07-28-2021, 09:24 AM
I figured we should have him in the center of a 3 CB back line like we did with Moor. Might be the only way to prevent him from wandering laterally.

Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about or I wasn't watching the games properly, buuuuuutttttt

I always thought we played our best football while in the 3-5-2.

I know eventually teams were able to just sit back and block it, but I feel like there were ways to rectify that issue, but Vanney just didn't have the tactical knowledge in the attacking end to figure it out.

MightyDM
07-28-2021, 10:30 AM
Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about or I wasn't watching the games properly, buuuuuutttttt

I always thought we played our best football while in the 3-5-2.

I know eventually teams were able to just sit back and block it, but I feel like there were ways to rectify that issue, but Vanney just didn't have the tactical knowledge in the attacking end to figure it out.

Interesting - we certainly played well. And Morrow could be in the "three". But with our midfield depth, hard to fit Bradley- Oso - Marky -Poz -Solteldo- Lawrence-Richie- Auro into that midfield. If Soteldo is in the "2" that still leaves 6 excellent players trying to fit into five spots, and thats assuming one of Richie / Auro is on the bench

Ultra & Proud
07-28-2021, 11:54 AM
Interesting - we certainly played well. And Morrow could be in the "three". But with our midfield depth, hard to fit Bradley- Oso - Marky -Poz -Solteldo- Lawrence-Richie- Auro into that midfield. If Soteldo is in the "2" that still leaves 6 excellent players trying to fit into five spots, and thats assuming one of Richie / Auro is on the bench
If just based on potential success then the 5 should be

Lawrence - Osorio - Poz - Delgado - Laryea

Then Auro as the FB to cover either side off the bench and Bradley for spot starts or to solidify central midfield when needed.

Bushmancan
07-28-2021, 12:15 PM
I wonder if Curtis will say he acquired a new player. https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/1420419284266852357?s=20
Achara back in full training.

Ultra & Proud
07-28-2021, 12:44 PM
I wonder if Curtis will say he acquired a new player. https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/1420419284266852357?s=20
Achara back in full training.

Curtis : "Achara is back in full training. Good to have him back. It's like signing a new player and we're excited on what he brings to the team"

Everyone : "Does he play defense?"

Curtis : https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/j2dRVWFRoAKOR5rnZUNPrMzLRK4=/0x147:2015x1490/920x613/filters:focal(0x147:2015x1490):format(webp)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/49002857/GettyImages-2351745.0.jpg

DavemTFC
07-28-2021, 01:39 PM
What a find that pic is

rydermike
07-28-2021, 01:57 PM
They're going to take their time bringing Achara back.... Part of me thinks that's because we're lacking a roster spot. We traded two international spots so have six left.
Auro , Endoh, Poz, Soteldo, Gallardo, Mavinga are currently the six.... Achara didn't count while injured

Smokecell
07-28-2021, 02:05 PM
They're going to take their time bringing Achara back.... Part of me thinks that's because we're lacking a roster spot. We traded two international spots so have six left.
Auro , Endoh, Poz, Soteldo, Gallardo, Mavinga are currently the six.... Achara didn't count while injured

Could swear I read an article sometime in the last 3 weeks that mentioned Gallardo being out of the 30 man roster FWIW.

MightyDM
07-28-2021, 02:17 PM

Yes, if you look at our roster on the website it lists like 6 players for slots 29-30

MightyDM
07-28-2021, 02:18 PM
Could swear I read an article sometime in the last 3 weeks that mentioned Gallardo being out of the 30 man roster FWIW.

It said yesterday on the TFC website that he was on loan

jabbronies
07-28-2021, 03:20 PM

Don't be surprised if Endoh ends up back at TFC2 to open up that slot. It's happened before.

AS I"M TYPING THIS

I could've sworn I heard recently that Endoh was in the process of becoming a CDN Citizen? or something like that. So that would free up a spot

Ultra & Proud
07-28-2021, 03:32 PM
Don't be surprised if Endoh ends up back at TFC2 to open up that slot. It's happened before.

AS I"M TYPING THIS

I could've sworn I heard recently that Endoh was in the process of becoming a CDN Citizen? or something like that. So that would free up a spot
I heard Green Card but that was ages ago. Not sure what the hold up is.

reggie
07-28-2021, 04:45 PM
Curtis : "Achara is back in full training. Good to have him back. It's like signing a new player and we're excited on what he brings to the team"

Curtis : https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/j2dRVWFRoAKOR5rnZUNPrMzLRK4=/0x147:2015x1490/920x613/filters:focal(0x147:2015x1490):format(webp)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/49002857/GettyImages-2351745.0.jpg

this is such a typical and lazy statement from curtis.

Bushmancan
07-28-2021, 05:01 PM

What a fu-kin’ joke… It is pretty pathetic.

notthesun
07-28-2021, 07:20 PM
I was actually just wondering how Achara was doing. That's awesome he's training again. I remember him looking really good.

wopchop
07-28-2021, 07:34 PM

AS I"M TYPING THIS

He was going for his Permanent Resident status.
There has been a huge backlog with it.
Two people I know had been waiting for ages, and just got it within the last month.
Same with citizenship, major backlogs.

OgtheDim
07-28-2021, 07:35 PM
Other news from the day according to Molinaro

Both Lawrence & Westberg not with the team for personal reasons for a few days.

DeLeon in quarantine, as expected

MikeForbes
07-28-2021, 07:40 PM
I kind of wonder if Westberg might want out. His playing time has dried up because Alex Bono is tall and he is coming towards the end of his career.

MightyDM
07-28-2021, 08:06 PM
I kind of wonder if Westberg might want out. His playing time has dried up because Alex Bono is tall and he is coming towards the end of his career.

I am also wondering about Poz. And Perez likes speaks French. Expect Westberg to feel differently than earlier in the year.

Richard
07-28-2021, 08:12 PM

I might be beating a dead horse, but I find it ridiculous if someone tests negative they have to quarantine.

If you think the tests not accurate, then run another in the morning next day, and another, and if at that point your still unsure, then what the F is the point of a test. Ridiculous.

leedsandTFC
07-28-2021, 10:08 PM
does anyone know if auro is fit for sunday?

*edit to say john molinaro just confirmed that auro was back in full training

Auzzy
07-29-2021, 12:23 AM
I might be beating a dead horse, but I find it ridiculous if someone tests negative they have to quarantine.

If you think the tests not accurate, then run another in the morning next day, and another, and if at that point your still unsure, then what the F is the point of a test. Ridiculous.

Because the incubation period is longer that.

Or DeLeon could just get vaccinated. The 14-day quarantine is partly a measure to discourage unnecessary international travel, because no testing or quarantine is perfect, as even Australia is discovering. It's very easy to bypass that now by getting vaccinated, even for non-essential workers like DeLeon.

James17930
07-29-2021, 01:31 AM
Because the incubation period is longer that.

Or DeLeon could just get vaccinated. The 14-day quarantine is partly a measure to discourage unnecessary international travel, because no testing or quarantine is perfect, as even Australia is discovering. It's very easy to bypass that now by getting vaccinated, even for non-essential workers like DeLeon.

But unfortunately it seems he has a problem with his brain that prevents him from being intelligent.

But seriously, if I was in charge, I wouldn't put up with that shit – having a player only available half the time because they have to quarantine because they don't understand basic science.

Ship him out.

Oldtimer
07-29-2021, 08:59 AM
But unfortunately it seems he has a problem with his brain that prevents him from being intelligent.

But seriously, if I was in charge, I wouldn't put up with that shit – having a player only available half the time because they have to quarantine because they don't understand basic science.

Ship him out.

It's been known for over 100 years that high intelligence or education is not required to be a professional footballer.

But yeah, I'd trade him to a US team where he wouldn't need to quarantine all the time. I'm sure Curtis will be right on it... in about 2 weeks.

Ultra & Proud
07-29-2021, 09:12 AM

Ship him out.

I'm not going to jump all over him for his choice. For me, I let people decide what they want to do for themselves and I don't subscribe to the finger pointing for the un-vaxxed or the odd celebrating of people getting vaccinated.

That being said, as a sports team with a cap, there's really no room for a part time player like this. He should just get moved to a US based team so he only misses the Canadian matches. We could sure use his cap $$$ now.

Canary10
07-29-2021, 09:24 AM
I didn't hear the explanation why he was brought to Chicago. I'd guess because we were short-staffed with the Gold Cup going on? It would make way more sense to dress him for the games here and not have him travel to the US. Having him play a game and out for two weeks isn't so smart.

Kamp Berg
07-29-2021, 09:32 AM
I didn't hear the explanation why he was brought to Chicago. I'd guess because we were short-staffed with the Gold Cup going on? It would make way more sense to dress him for the games here and not have him travel to the US. Having him play a game and out for two weeks isn't so smart.

I would think that the FO would want him to play to put him in the sale window.

ag futbol
07-29-2021, 09:36 AM
I'm not going to jump all over him for his choice. For me, I let people decide what they want to do for themselves and I don't subscribe to the finger pointing for the un-vaxxed or the odd celebrating of people getting vaccinated.

That being said, as a sports team with a cap, there's really no room for a part time player like this. He should just get moved to a US based team so he only misses the Canadian matches. We could sure use his cap $$$ now.
Yep. Telling that team cheese had enough common sense to deal with their issue quickly while we seem to be stuck in some sort of state of myopia. He’s not on big money and he shouldn’t be hard to move.

Has Ali Curtis ever done anything on time in his entire career?

jloome
07-29-2021, 09:52 AM
I would think that the FO would want him to play to put him in the sale window.

He's a journeyman with a history of bad knee injuries. He has value as a player but not to move or sell. No one's coming in for a guy like that, especially not when he could be holding an "I'm an idiot" sign every time he opens his mouth. As much as he doesn't value the scientific method and, say, the end of ravenous diseases like polio and smallpox, some of any potential squad will.

Ultra & Proud
07-29-2021, 09:55 AM
Yep. Telling that team cheese had enough common sense to deal with their issue quickly while we seem to be stuck in some sort of state of myopia. He’s not on big money and he shouldn’t be hard to move.

Has Ali Curtis ever done anything on time in his entire career?
Team came back to Canada on July 5th and moves like this take '2 weeks' in Curtis time so he will probably have a decision made by Labour Day.

Ultra & Proud
07-29-2021, 09:56 AM
He's a journeyman with a history of bad knee injuries. He has value as a player but not to move or sell. No one's coming in for a guy like that, especially not when he could be holding an "I'm an idiot" sign every time he opens his mouth. As much as he doesn't value the scientific method and, say, the end of ravenous diseases like polio and smallpox, some of any potential squad will.

He would have some value in the league to a team making a run. That being said the return would either be a pointless late superdraft pick or taking on a bad contract.

Kamp Berg
07-29-2021, 09:57 AM

I’m not expecting to get much for him, but there are plenty of badly run cheap teams making poor moves. Surely they can at least off load his contract for a draft pick or 50k in GAM? What about TFC West(Colorado)? He’d fit right in there with the rest of the ex-TFC players.

ag futbol
07-29-2021, 10:01 AM
But at $175k and still having the versatility to play multiple spots… it doesn’t exactly sound impossible…

It’s just a straight dump, we don’t need anything back.

Ultra & Proud
07-29-2021, 10:03 AM
But at $175k and still having the versatility to play multiple spots… it doesn’t exactly sound impossible…

It’s just a straight dump, we don’t need anything back.
I have been expecting Bez to take him to Ohio for a while now. He likes collecting junk there.

OgtheDim
07-29-2021, 10:54 AM
This is the DeLeon that happens to pop up & score goals.....like I get the vax thing but he's not a chump.

MightyDM
07-29-2021, 11:23 AM
DeLeon scored the winning goal. I think he justified his selection. And he has been a good servant to this club. Personally, i don't understand why the vaccine isn't mandatory like it is for polio etc but given that we have collectively decided that it is personal choice I am not going to rag on him for his decision, no matter how wrong headed or bizarre it seems to me

jloome
07-29-2021, 03:03 PM
When people’s “wrongheaded” decisions affect the people and things I care about I reserve the right to rag on them. Societies generally would never achieve civility if people didn’t stand behind their perspectives.

The anonymity of the internet is what makes it fractious, not the opinions, which they already held. Having to defend and justify them when consequences are involved is what kept us civil.

The entirely overstated “shaming” culture right now is a tragic answer to safe spaces that employs the very same anonymous incivility
It’s trying to prevent.

I have zero sympathy for him whatsoever, I don’t particularly care how he contributes in the pitch, as it’s a matter of public health, not an entertainment matter.

And of course a salary dump is free. End rant.

EDIT also, my agreeing or disagreeing with people is a matter of the point at hand, not a personal judgement. It does not make me prejudge what you say In the future or how I should respond to you. It takes me a great deal of personal information before I judge somebody Unworthy of my time for uncivil reasons. I would like to think most intelligent adults feel the same way.

jloome
07-29-2021, 03:59 PM
Having ended rant… on to game.

I wonder If Zavaleta gets a start this week. Omar’s struggles are obvious and Zavaleta had a pretty good Gold Cup, all things considered.

Yuushalinsky
07-29-2021, 04:17 PM
MLS has the NIE now - De Leon can practice and play in matches if he is unvaccinated.

leedsandTFC
07-29-2021, 06:30 PM
assuming he's fit, I'd start deleon ahead of endoh.

OgtheDim
07-29-2021, 08:09 PM
MLS has the NIE now - De Leon can practice and play in matches if he is unvaccinated.

From the MLS article

The announcement is made as 96% of Tier 1 individuals, including MLS players and club staff that work closely with the team, have received the vaccine.

What the NIE does is allow the few anti-vaxxers to get away with it. i.e. Expect Geoff Cameron here in the fall

MightyDM
07-29-2021, 09:25 PM
When people’s “wrongheaded” decisions affect the people and things I care about I reserve the right to rag on them. Societies generally would never achieve civility if people didn’t stand behind their perspectives.

The anonymity of the internet is what makes it fractious, not the opinions, which they already held. Having to defend and justify them when consequences are involved is what kept us civil.

The entirely overstated “shaming” culture right now is a tragic answer to safe spaces that employs the very same anonymous incivility
It’s trying to prevent.

I have zero sympathy for him whatsoever, I don’t particularly care how he contributes in the pitch, as it’s a matter of public health, not an entertainment matter.

And of course a salary dump is free. End rant.

EDIT also, my agreeing or disagreeing with people is a matter of the point at hand, not a personal judgement. It does not make me prejudge what you say In the future or how I should respond to you. It takes me a great deal of personal information before I judge somebody Unworthy of my time for uncivil reasons. I would like to think most intelligent adults feel the same way.

In the big picture, I agree. it is a matter of public health. But not a single politician or public health expert has called for the vaccine to be mandatory. It should be to protect all of us. Polio and others are. Why not COVID? Makes no sense. And there was just too much piling on to Deleon for me. But as for you, Mr Loome, I always respect your perspective, even when directly delivered.

jloome
07-29-2021, 09:41 PM
In the big picture, I agree. it is a matter of public health. But not a single politician or public health expert has called for the vaccine to be mandatory. It should be to protect all of us. Polio and others are. Why not COVID? Makes no sense. And there was just too much piling on to Deleon for me. But as for you, Mr Loome, I always respect your perspective, even when directly delivered.

Cheers dude, much appreciated.

OgtheDim
07-30-2021, 06:33 AM
In the big picture, I agree. it is a matter of public health. But not a single politician or public health expert has called for the vaccine to be mandatory..

Well maybe not in Canada (yet) but France has made it mandatory that if you want to go into a restaurant or bar, you must have a vaccine.

That's the equivalent of saying to Canadians "You want to buy a coffee, you need a vaccine"

This is way off topic though.

So, Oso & Laryea back on Sunday - in the starting lineup or in the 18?

Ultra & Proud
07-30-2021, 11:34 AM

I would think bench with that late match and a travel day. Any word on Lawrence? I know he got a personal leave but that's all they said.

Red CB Toronto
07-30-2021, 11:45 AM
Well maybe not in Canada (yet) but France has made it mandatory that if you want to go into a restaurant or bar, you must have a vaccine.

That's the equivalent of saying to Canadians "You want to buy a coffee, you need a vaccine"

Will have to see how they feel after last night and traveling today. Two days between games is not much to regenerate.

leedsandTFC
07-30-2021, 12:35 PM
Will have to see how they feel after last night and traveling today. Two days between games is not much to regenerate.

2 days off not uncommon in MLS.

our guys had that between NYRB and Chicago games.

hopefully see them on the bench.

jloome
07-30-2021, 01:02 PM

I'd hope we'd see one of them starting. Either would be a better option wide right than anyone on the bench.

Ultra & Proud
07-30-2021, 03:58 PM
I'd hope we'd see one of them starting. Either would be a better option wide right than anyone on the bench.
I know it probably won't happen because Curtis would have to proactively make a move to free up an international spot but I would like to see Gallardo one last time before he fades off into oblivion.

Lil'John
07-30-2021, 04:49 PM
I'm a season seat holder, trying to buy tickets for the next 3 games (including Sunday), but I've just given up after a very frustrating hour.
I choose my section and I see the free seats, but whatever I choose it tells me 'There has been an error. You have to choose the whole block', butr no explanation as to how I do that.
Could anyone please help me?

OgtheDim
07-30-2021, 05:32 PM
I'm a season seat holder, trying to buy tickets for the next 3 games (including Sunday), but I've just given up after a very frustrating hour.
I choose my section and I see the free seats, but whatever I choose it tells me 'There has been an error. You have to choose the whole block', butr no explanation as to how I do that.
Could anyone please help me?

Just checked

You have to make sure the number of tickets you are looking for is the number in the QTY. You then have to find a block that matches the number you want.

ie. If you want 4, you have to find a 4 block. If you want 2, pick a 2 etc.

nfitz
07-30-2021, 07:04 PM
How was entry to the stadium compared to normal times? Longer lines? Shorter? Wondering when I should show up ...

MightyDM
07-30-2021, 09:08 PM

I would think they are mentally drained. Tough to come back to MLS after that.

Gringo Starr
07-31-2021, 07:58 AM
How was entry to the stadium compared to normal times? Longer lines? Shorter? Wondering when I should show up ...

Lines were long at gate 3 but probably due more to spacing, it went pretty quick and it didn't seem to take any longer than normal to get in, they had walk through scanners rather than the wands now. have your tickets open on your phone that seemed to be where the bottleneck was when i went through but even then the ticket scanners were waving people ahead while others were standing to the side fiddling with their phones.

Lil'John
07-31-2021, 09:59 AM
Thank you very much, OgtheDim!! I have my tickets.

Derko
07-31-2021, 12:47 PM

I just don't get it, wtf

jloome
07-31-2021, 01:23 PM
I just don't get it, wtf

He's unvaccinated.

Vaccinated people can carry the virus, they just don't usually catch it symptomatically.

So if he's allowed out and around, he becomes a carrier potentially to infect others, because he's working constantly around people who have no masks on, sometimes in confined areas.

That's why they let him train and play, but not go out.

Derko
07-31-2021, 02:22 PM
He's unvaccinated.

Vaccinated people can carry the virus, they just don't usually catch it symptomatically.

So if he's allowed out and around, he becomes a carrier potentially to infect others, because he's working constantly around people who have no masks on, sometimes in confined areas.

That's why they let him train and play, but not go out.

As a person and player that must be a bit challenging, no?

leedsandTFC
07-31-2021, 02:35 PM
I would think they are mentally drained. Tough to come back to MLS after that.

they back in training

OgtheDim
07-31-2021, 04:30 PM
FWIW, Nashville flying in now getting in just before 6.

https://twitter.com/SportsAviation/status/1421580988958875650

Redpunkfiddle
07-31-2021, 04:53 PM
FWIW, Nashville flying in now getting in just before 6.

https://twitter.com/SportsAviation/status/1421580988958875650

Am I missing something special about the other team flying here or is this just a cool toy? Which is fine if it is:}

OgtheDim
07-31-2021, 05:56 PM
Its the sports twitter version of a guy in a raincoat on a bridge over some train tracks counting what is going by. :)

Occasionally interesting to know who gets in late etc & who is coming in same day but rarely all that important. One of my covid era follows I may not continue with.

MightyDM
07-31-2021, 06:50 PM
Its the sports twitter version of a guy in a raincoat on a bridge over some train tracks counting what is going by. :)

Occasionally interesting to know who gets in late etc & who is coming in same day but rarely all that important. One of my covid era follows I may not continue with.

Don’t give it up! Perfectly quirky and often useful ie when do they leave post game. What time get home, etc etc

MikeForbes
07-31-2021, 07:09 PM

I low-key love that you track the flights. Haha. Plus the thread titles combined with the music videos are outstanding.

Smokecell
08-01-2021, 08:19 AM
Where’s the best place to park these days? I’m assuming Lamport is still a spot to avoid. Not looking to shell $30 at the stadium.

Fort York Redcoat
08-01-2021, 09:07 AM
So what pub are we at?

Fort York Redcoat
08-01-2021, 09:09 AM
Also anybody know if

Oso
Richie

Johnston

are gonna make it to this one?

Redpunkfiddle
08-01-2021, 09:45 AM
Also anybody know if

Oso
Richie

Johnston

are gonna make it to this one?

Liam Frasier subbed in late on Friday after playing some time on Thursday.

You’d think they would be available if not starting. They’d have been in an XI for the final today if we’d made it.

MightyDM
08-01-2021, 10:58 AM
So what pub are we at?

I still think we should get Joe to open a new pub....

The owner of Liberty Market apparently is a decent fellow. I have no other opinion to offer but for next season we should find a place with a decent owner who agrees that it is the known gathering place for the RPB

WestStandGeoff
08-01-2021, 01:12 PM
So what pub are we at?

Good question! Is there a meetup today?

WestStandGeoff
08-01-2021, 01:17 PM
I still think we should get Joe to open a new pub....

The owner of Liberty Market apparently is a decent fellow. I have no other opinion to offer but for next season we should find a place with a decent owner who agrees that it is the known gathering place for the RPB

That's a tough ask - since TFC came into existence, lots more people living in the area, and bars have more regular crowds and less dependant on game-day attendance and revenues. While it would be great if we can have someone agree to what you suggested, we're more likely looking for tolerance at this time.

MightyDM
08-01-2021, 02:13 PM
That's a tough ask - since TFC came into existence, lots more people living in the area, and bars have more regular crowds and less dependant on game-day attendance and revenues. While it would be great if we can have someone agree to what you suggested, we're more likely looking for tolerance at this time.

Not so certain. Post Covid places are going to be looking for business, and several down there have closed.

Kamp Berg
08-01-2021, 03:52 PM
I hope Layrea’s good for tonight.

jloome
08-01-2021, 05:15 PM
I hope Layrea’s good for tonight.

Looks promising, as tfc tweeted a pic of him and Oso training yesterday.

MikeForbes
08-01-2021, 06:00 PM
No Pozuelo today at all. Jozy starts.

benito
08-01-2021, 06:01 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E7vWQv2XoAQz3Rh?format=jpg&name=large

rydermike
08-01-2021, 06:05 PM
------------------Bono-----------------
----Zavaleta--Gonzalez--Mavinga----
Laryea--Delgado--Bradley--Priso---Morrow
----------Altidore------Soteldo--------

Westberg/DeLeon/Dwyer/MarshallRutty/Mullins/Okello/Osorio/Perruzza/Singh

Richard
08-01-2021, 06:10 PM
Is Pozuelo out injured? Would explain his terrible form even though coming back from a previous injury.

rydermike
08-01-2021, 06:15 PM
Perez says Poz out for precautionary reasons due to discomfort

613reppingTFC
08-01-2021, 06:18 PM
Well that's not good. I just came to see why poz wasn't in the lineup..

Initial B
08-01-2021, 06:34 PM
Lol, MLSSoccer.com has them lined up in a 4-2-3-1. Do they even know the normal positions of our players?

rydermike
08-01-2021, 06:37 PM
Lol, MLSSoccer.com has them lined up in a 4-2-3-1. Do they even know the normal positions of our players?

Especially Delgado at RB instead of Laryea and Morrow
https://i.imgur.com/w8SdAtv_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

DavemTFC
08-01-2021, 06:40 PM
Caldwell back too, oh boy

gracos
08-01-2021, 06:41 PM
its going to be very difficult to get positive results tonight, not impossible lets just hope that management can limit injuries from here on out

notthesun
08-01-2021, 06:47 PM
Aw shit, Caldwell is back. I miss Kilbane already.

Richard
08-01-2021, 06:50 PM
Listening to Caldwell.:banghead:

Just please go, you're not very good at this.

Thomas
08-01-2021, 06:56 PM
Any game where Zavs starts is frightening to me, but I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt.

GBV
08-01-2021, 06:58 PM
Luke Wileman has already worn me out.

-- mutes and puts on music --

Wonder if Soteldo has asked to play in tighty whities instead of shorts. Yeah, great tattoos lol, but the short 'swim shorts' look a bit much. (Good start though, talking soccer-wise!)

Thomas
08-01-2021, 07:02 PM
Delgado looks lost out there.

rydermike
08-01-2021, 07:04 PM
Delgado looks lost out there.
To be fair, he's played a hundred different positions this season

Inklink
08-01-2021, 07:05 PM
Who the heck let Caldwell back on the broadcast.

Thomas
08-01-2021, 07:05 PM
For sure.

rydermike
08-01-2021, 07:07 PM
Soteldo great quick free kick to Omar!

DavemTFC
08-01-2021, 07:08 PM
That's a genuinely brilliant header. My word

oranje boven
08-01-2021, 07:08 PM
Yes… too bad we didn’t see it

Thomas
08-01-2021, 07:09 PM
Good one

jloome
Soteldo great quick free kick to Omar!

Superb training ground move.

Inklink
Gonzo!

I was fully expecting it to be called back by the ref saying he hadn't blown the whistle or something.

Yuushalinsky
08-01-2021, 07:10 PM
Brilliant tbh - we can razz Gonzalez if (when) he does something stupid later this game, but that's quality. Omar deserves props.

Richard
08-01-2021, 07:11 PM
Super free kick.

jloome
08-01-2021, 07:13 PM
Priso is a beast out there today, playing great.

rydermike
08-01-2021, 07:13 PM
Ref doesn't like Jozy

Inklink
08-01-2021, 07:15 PM
Wow Soteldo

Richard
08-01-2021, 07:22 PM
So far the defense is holding.

jloome
08-01-2021, 07:28 PM
Bradley could stand to turn inside occasionally.

rydermike
08-01-2021, 07:29 PM
Well that's a terrible goal to concede

jloome
08-01-2021, 07:30 PM
Damn that’s cheap. Near post from a throw.

Inklink
08-01-2021, 07:30 PM
Weeaaakkkk

Richard
08-01-2021, 07:32 PM
Terrible goal keeping. That should be a save.

Inklink
08-01-2021, 07:33 PM
Soteldo's face looks like he's a ripped 50 year old

Inklink
08-01-2021, 07:35 PM
Altidore's body language is pure garbage.

jloome
08-01-2021, 07:35 PM
Their defenders have obstructed Soteldo three times on breaks without so much as a whistle.

Tough going in tied. Should be up two.

jloome
08-01-2021, 07:37 PM
Altidore's body language is pure garbage.

Soteldo has given him the gears for not pressing quickly enough. And he blew the coverage on the corner.

Not having a great game, although he had a legit penalty yell, as did Richie

ag futbol
08-01-2021, 07:39 PM
Soteldo has given him the gears for not pressing quickly enough. And he blew the coverage on the corner.

MLS has got to realize it’s audience is more interested in skill than physicality. Officiating should be adjusted accordingly.

Inklink
08-01-2021, 07:40 PM

If he didn't throw up his arms and pout, he could have possibly caused some trouble on the rebound off Delgado's strike.

MikeForbes
08-01-2021, 07:42 PM
I can't recall the last time I saw a long throw in result in a goal.

MikeForbes
08-01-2021, 07:44 PM
If he didn't throw up his arms and pout, he could have possibly caused some trouble on the rebound off Delgado's strike.

Yeah, not sure what he was hoping for there.

DavemTFC
08-01-2021, 07:45 PM
For as good as we've looked at times we really haven't created much

jloome
08-01-2021, 07:51 PM
For as good as we've looked at times we really haven't created much

There were a few moments where we were TOO patient, cycling the ball unnecessarily looking for something cutting and perfect.

I thought we were good until the lost concentration in the last few minutes. At least one of those penalty calls probably should've gone our way, and Romney should have at least a yellow right now for tugging Soteldo back.

DavemTFC
08-01-2021, 07:51 PM
Brilliant tbh - we can razz Gonzalez if (when) he does something stupid later this game, but that's quality. Omar deserves props.

Now that you mention it... really poor defending by him on the Johnston chance

rydermike
08-01-2021, 08:02 PM
We've put in a couple crosses for Soteldo headers in the last 5 minutes

DavemTFC
08-01-2021, 08:04 PM
Jozy should be coming off too tbh

jloome
08-01-2021, 08:05 PM
Good lord why didn’t Richie just hit that ???

Richard
08-01-2021, 08:05 PM
I don't like Soteldo in the middle, he needs to be on the outside cutting in.

rydermike
08-01-2021, 08:08 PM
I'd like to see Perruzza come in... We're going to get Dwyer aren't we

Richard
08-01-2021, 08:12 PM
Another home tie would be so disappointing. We need some serious shooting practice because I don't see the confidence needed when in front of goal.

Inklink
08-01-2021, 08:13 PM
Altidore didn't really open himself up for a pass there but was still bitching

notthesun
08-01-2021, 08:16 PM
Altidore should 100% be on direct free kick duty when Pozuelo is out. Does not appear to be Soteldo's strength.

jloome
08-01-2021, 08:21 PM
Put the fuckijng ball into the fucking box

Jesus christ

jloome
08-01-2021, 08:23 PM
Richie can dribble but he sure can t pass in transition. Always short.

Richard
08-01-2021, 08:24 PM
Stop trying to walk the ball in, jeez.

jloome
08-01-2021, 08:30 PM
Dwyer calls for the ball... then quits on it before it’s even been sent. Strewth he’s rusty.

jloome
08-01-2021, 08:31 PM
Were sleep walking now

Jesus h get the ball forward

jloome
08-01-2021, 08:33 PM
Maintain concentration , jesus

Feels very shaky right now

Inklink
08-01-2021, 08:33 PM
Morrow used to be be good.

jloome
08-01-2021, 08:34 PM
We lack a team leader

They need to be woken up

DavemTFC
08-01-2021, 08:35 PM
Sorely lacking in actual quality attacking players.

That and Perez hates making subs

jloome
08-01-2021, 08:37 PM
First dangerous through ball we’ve tried all game

DavemTFC
08-01-2021, 08:38 PM
Dwyer hardly looks like a professional player any more

Inklink
08-01-2021, 08:40 PM
what the hell

Inklink
08-01-2021, 08:41 PM
Through the back, didn't get the ball

notthesun
Hello? The Nashville player didn't even touch the ball????

jloome
We didn’t deserve three after that second half

Still, jobbed by Bezakos all night

Richard
We are toothless going forward. No creativity at all.

MikeForbes
08-01-2021, 08:42 PM
You got 7 guys on the bench, Javier. Gotta use them. Especially when half the players look dead on their feet out there.

gracos
08-01-2021, 08:43 PM
Anyone think we should go for a proven goalscorer, we dont have a dominant striker right now on our team, and these results will continue until we do

PawTar711
08-01-2021, 08:43 PM
I thought that was a good game. I think that we are doing well, and that we have alot of work to do this season, which might mean what are you really going to do to win. If you wondered if they are content with draws, you might say that it would be interestting, the stop in Philedelphia. Its ultimately like saying, if you wondered whether we can shoot the ball more, it would be a good idea to me. Thanks,

PawTar711

:flare::flare::scarf::drum::drum:

Oldtimer
08-01-2021, 08:45 PM
Omar Gonzalez had a good game.
Zavaletta alternated between brilliant and awful.
Soteldo very good as always.
Jozy seems fitter.

Too bad that soft goal was let in, but still the defense is much better than under Armas. Reinforcements still desperately needed.

Onward!

jloome
08-01-2021, 08:45 PM
Frustrating lack of energy in the last twenty

Jozy was kind of a hindrance all night. Bradley was way too conservative. Delgado and the defends were sloppy

Richie was okay but also killed several transitions.

Disappointing second half.

We really, really need to stop fucking around in the offensive zone and try to actually hit the frontmen occasionally.

DavemTFC
08-01-2021, 08:48 PM
If Bazakos calls that PK himself it's not coming back. Same with the penalty shout in the first half

Instead we get the shaft end of two borderline calls and don't win

Best Zavaleta has looked for a while. Might be the confidence from his el Salvador (captain's!) performances but I think it's more to do with him just being much better as part of a back three

Richard
08-01-2021, 08:49 PM
Anyone think we should go for a proven goalscorer, we dont have a dominant striker right now on our team, and these results will continue until we do

Until Jozy is off the books completely we don't have much options.

stevep
08-01-2021, 08:50 PM
Morrow used to be be good.

Morrow is the new Ashton Morgan
It’s like your playing with a little over 9 men on the field with Morrow on the pitch

This explains the tie score

jloome
08-01-2021, 08:51 PM
I mean, I don’t know how any striker scores as rarely as we out the ball into the box

gracos
08-01-2021, 08:54 PM
Until Jozy is off the books completely we don't have much options.

Which is why i feel unless he decides to take a paycut he may need to be shopped around, at his current salary it doesnt make sense

MikeForbes
08-01-2021, 09:00 PM
The summer of Dom is dragging on a bit too long for my liking.

mowe
08-01-2021, 09:07 PM
6 points dropped at home now. Going to be tough to make the playoffs after that.

OgtheDim
08-01-2021, 10:04 PM
From the stadium

Defence did ok. Bono was solid

Osorio is better than Delgado or Priso.

Jozy is a deceptively good passer of the ball.

Mavinga going forward was neat to see.

Soteldo has this ability to gain 5 metres against an opponent quickly.

Richie needs a game off.

Has Perez used more than 3 subs in a game?

benito
08-01-2021, 10:04 PM
The undefeated streak continues but these ties are missed opportunities.

leedsandTFC
08-01-2021, 11:07 PM
6 points dropped at home now. Going to be tough to make the playoffs after that.

not if we keep winning away lol

Red CB Toronto
08-02-2021, 01:28 AM
Look at the celebration for Omar's goal. Man is Yef small.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/MIqTPkgljwApzBL7MBHwJ5YIwTI=/1400x1400/filters:format(jpeg)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/22755263/usa_today_16494273.jpg

MightyDM
08-02-2021, 07:14 AM
From the stadium

Richie needs a game off.

Thanks for this. Some thoughts from someone also at the game:

We had control for the most part. Perez has gone back to a possession based system and it works for us.

Zavs looked competent. The back 3 might be here to stay. Much more organized.

As for Bono, he got beat near post off a throw in, otherwise didn't have a lot to do, so I'd disagree a bit there. Again came from him not commanding his area. Smart teams now target crosses right at the top of the 6 knowing he doesn't come for them.

Also, while I agree with Oso > Marky / Priso, Priso looked pretty good after the first 15 mins or so. Bradley solid; he has really had a resurgence this reason.

Dwyer playing like the player you need to defend a late lead, but no sign of scoring or contributing to scoring. Mullins a bigger scoring threat.

will be interesting to see what is really going on with Poz. he has looked off all year.

From where I was sitting it looked a very clear pen on Laryea.

ag futbol
08-02-2021, 07:31 AM
From the stadium

Richie needs a game off.

I didn’t catch the game but I was impressed in the extended highlights how many times Priso was able to get into passing lanes and break up the play. That seems to be his biggest strength. Unfortunately, I also noticed him sometimes losing a runner or cheaply giving the ball back after he did the hard work of winning it in the first place. Hope he continues to find minutes but I completely agree with your assessment Osorio (and likely other options) are better.

MightyDM
08-02-2021, 08:01 AM
I didn’t catch the game but I was impressed in the extended highlights how many times Priso was able to get into passing lanes and break up the play. That seems to be his biggest strength. Unfortunately, I also noticed him sometimes losing a runner or cheaply giving the ball back after he did the hard work of winning it in the first place. Hope he continues to find minutes but I completely agree with your assessment Osorio (and likely other options) are better.

A fair assessment but he needs to get minutes as he looks like he will improve massively each game, particularly playing beside the General. Plus his quickness not a bad thing to have there beside MB - I thought that was the best MB has looked in 18 months, and possibly Priso had something to do with that.

OgtheDim
08-02-2021, 09:33 AM
I think Priso is good. Just Oso is soooo much better.

reggie
08-02-2021, 09:46 AM
I think Priso is good. Just Oso is soooo much better.

considering he is 8 yrs older and makes 10 times more money he better be

jloome
08-02-2021, 11:41 AM
considering he is 8 yrs older and makes 10 times more money he better be

Priso is a better first-year TFC player than Oso was. Until he'd been with us for three seasons, there was serious doubt Oso would ever be athletic or dynamic enough to become a good player.

reggie
08-02-2021, 12:11 PM
the prob is we move the ball too slow and we not getting goals from strikers,jozy seems in shape but is not a dp caliber player at this point,maybe its rust?to me the nashville goal was a foul throw in,its like var wanted nothing to do with this game,the last 2 refs at home are old out of shape that cant keep up with the play,those 2 refs were done 5 yrs ago

jloome
08-02-2021, 12:30 PM
the prob is we move the ball too slow and we not getting goals from strikers,jozy seems in shape but is not a dp caliber player at this point,maybe its rust?to me the nashville goal was a foul throw in,its like var wanted nothing to do with this game,the last 2 refs at home are old out of shape that cant keep up with the play,those 2 refs were done 5 yrs ago

LOL, well reg, you've hit on about six differn topics in one paragraph there and you're right about all of them.

Bazakos is a terrible ref. He just calls nothing short of someone being shot within his line of sight.

Richard
08-02-2021, 01:05 PM
I don't understand how the last play of the game wasn't even reviewed at all, absolutely criminal.

On the topic of Priso I think he should be an everyday starter, he clearly has talent and athletic ability, Okello is similar but probably a little behind him in development.

If the playoffs are out of reach they need to be appearing in all games as a substitute the very least.

OgtheDim
08-02-2021, 04:51 PM
I know xG doesn't tell the whole story but....our xG is horrible.

We spend a lot of time getting the ball to their 18 & then stop advancing from there

buddies
08-02-2021, 05:42 PM
I don't understand how the last play of the game wasn't even reviewed at all, absolutely criminal.

On the topic of Priso I think he should be an everyday starter, he clearly has talent and athletic ability, Okello is similar but probably a little behind him in development.

If the playoffs are out of reach they need to be appearing in all games as a substitute the very least.

... I think it didn't get reviewed because dufus with the whistle blew for the end of the game before they got a chance to intervene. On watching the replay the defender missed the ball and cleaned out Laryea ... penalty any day of the week. He should have let Nashville take the goal kick then blow for full time like most refs do. That way VAR would have had the opportunity to tell him to look at it but when he ended the game it's game over.

jloome
08-02-2021, 07:18 PM
I know xG doesn't tell the whole story but....our xG is horrible.

We spend a lot of time getting the ball to their 18 & then stop advancing from there

We never hit the open man, or the runner trying to break the back line. It's all short passes trying to create an open look or crosses, and they always play for the best chance.

But xG is based on chances, and that in turn is based on actually shooting the ball. We rarely do it.

Why was Richie even thinking of bringing that ball down late in the box, instead of just hitting it? Why don't we just take the chances that are available? Half the goals in this league are junk rebounds or deflections off half-chance shots.

ag futbol
08-02-2021, 07:54 PM
We never hit the open man, or the runner trying to break the back line. It's all short passes trying to create an open look or crosses, and they always play for the best chance.

But xG is based on chances, and that in turn is based on actually shooting the ball. We rarely do it.

Why was Richie even thinking of bringing that ball down late in the box, instead of just hitting it? Why don't we just take the chances that are available? Half the goals in this league are junk rebounds or deflections off half-chance shots.
Sort of ironically, this was the stuff I was skeptical about with a Vanney coached team. Basically a latter years Arsene Wenger Arsenal, pass it into the net or die trying.

I think the problem for us (much like it was for Arsenal when they got saddled with debt) is a lack of quality across the roster to play such a style.

We’ve got to be pragmatic enough to score ugly too and be a little more direct in the attacking 3rd

MightyDM
08-02-2021, 08:01 PM

With the exception of Jozy and usually Oso, we don’t shoot - even Poz amd Soteldo hesitate to shoot. But I’m calm about this. Perez said he’s solving the defensive problems first. Judging from the well rehearsed free kick, he’s going to add some organized and rehearsed pattern plays - once he sorts the defence. I look forward to the ride.

So far, he has under promised and over delivered. We do need to start picking up 3 points though. .

MightyDM
08-02-2021, 08:11 PM
I watched most of the game on replay today. My earlier post about the players performance was unfair to Bono - he made at least two excellent saves. Also, both penalty shouts were penalties - on the Jozy one the guy kneed him in the hammy (but I can see why the red didn’t call it and I would rather have a wrong call on a softie than VAR) and the Richie one was blatant. He took him right out. Should have been both a pen and the no call reversed. Clear and Obvious. That said we didn’t do enough to win, so not an unfair result.

Mike_S
08-03-2021, 10:09 AM
... I think it didn't get reviewed because dufus with the whistle blew for the end of the game before they got a chance to intervene.

I don't think that's it. Remember in 2019 when a Atlanta got a penalty call AFTER the referee blew the final whistle (and Martinez proceeded to miss it)? Or, at least I am pretty sure the penalty call came after the whistle.

PizzaEatingYeti
08-03-2021, 12:01 PM
Our main problem now is we do not create many good enough scoring chances per game.
With our defense still to be expected to let in at least 1 goal (but more likely 2) in a game, our target needs to be to score at least 3. Counting on a 3/1 ratio, for those 3 goals we need to create at least 9 good scoring chances in a game.

This season (Armas included) we are not even close to having 9 good scoring chances per game...

613reppingTFC
08-03-2021, 01:06 PM
I don't think that's it. Remember in 2019 when a Atlanta got a penalty call AFTER the referee blew the final whistle (and Martinez proceeded to miss it)? Or, at least I am pretty sure the penalty call came after the whistle.

Yes I was going to say the same thing. I remember that after the final whistle and VAR awarded Atlanta the pk and he missed it. Maybe this time around he blew the whistle and didn't bother listening to VAR?
https://youtu.be/xYU23bpm6Qw?t=147 last 4 mins of the Atlanta game highlights

OgtheDim
08-03-2021, 02:17 PM
Gonna say this

When Allan Kelly & Bazakos were brought over from Europe, people thought they would bring professionalism. BUT, they seem to be calling different games then the rest of MLS in terms of how things are done.

AND, they are the 2 refs who's game calling has gone DOWN in the last 2 years. Even Petrescu has gotten better.

Bushmancan
08-03-2021, 02:28 PM
Yes I was going to say the same thing. I remember that after the final whistle and VAR awarded Atlanta the pk and he missed it. Maybe this time around he blew the whistle and didn't bother listening to VAR?
https://youtu.be/xYU23bpm6Qw?t=147 last 4 mins of the Atlanta game highlights

Thanks for this... i was recalling the same thing. What would be interesting to find out if the play was reviewed at all, maybe put Molinaro on it. ;-) Who were the VAR officials on Sunday.

One other thing if you go a bit further back in that Atlanta game and you watch how the first penalty against Laryea was created, it was because Poz sent something into the box and a mistake occurred. We need to keep going direct and force mistakes, waiting all game for one shot feels so wrong for this team.

jloome
08-03-2021, 02:33 PM
Gonna say this

When Allan Kelly & Bazakos were brought over from Europe, people thought they would bring professionalism. BUT, they seem to be calling different games then the rest of MLS in terms of how things are done.

AND, they are the 2 refs who's game calling has gone DOWN in the last 2 years. Even Petrescu has gotten better.

Bazakos wasn't brought over from Europe; he's an IT professional from Minneapolis who has never reffed outside of USL or MLS.

Kelly does seem to have lost whatever edge he had from Europe though, agreed. He was brilliant his first year, now lets everything go.

noxx98
08-03-2021, 02:45 PM
There was an incident earlier in the season where VAR recommended that Bazakos giving a red card was a clear and obvious error. He ignored that and kept the red card. Even if Bazakos decided to go check VAR, I doubt he'd have given a penalty.

https://www.thebentmusket.com/2021/4/24/22401070/new-england-revolution-fotis-bazakos-var-replay-independent-review-panel-dejuan-jones

JoesphNdo
08-03-2021, 03:08 PM
Gonna say this

I always thought Alan Kelly was an appalling referee when he refereed in Ireland, and that's a pretty common thought among league of Ireland fans. His resume looks good because he was given the Irish spot for some highish profile matches but a major * beside that is the head of refereeing in Ireland who helped pick those spots is his father. Honestly I assumed it was some kind of sadistic karmic joke that he followed me soon after I moved over here where I assumed I was safe from the man. The fact he's considered a top referee here is a damning indictment on the standard of officiating in this league

OgtheDim
08-03-2021, 04:13 PM
I swear there was a second European dropped into PRO the same year Kelly came over but....man.....

hot girl summer just be frying my brain it seems.

noxx98
08-03-2021, 08:29 PM
I remembered really liking the referee who did the second leg of our semi-final game in 2018 vs Club America. He was "loaned" from the AFC. Apparently has record for most World Cup games reffed. Anyway we could get him back to North America?