05-22-2021, 11:10 PM
Congrats TFC2 on todays result, now on to Wednesday against FC Tucson

reggie
05-26-2021, 11:10 PM
tfc2 lose 2 - 1 to tucson

jloome
05-28-2021, 06:03 PM
tfc2 lose 2 - 1 to tucson

The kid they just signed from Houston looked good again, apparently.

Still chaffs that we let Tyler Pasher go so early in his career. He barely got a look, but he sure shut down the left side against Liverpool in a friendly, which should've told us something. Now, in Kevin Phillips/Gareth Bale mode, they've converted him from fullback to forward and he's a dangerous player.

Any kid plays that well against Liverpool, even in a friendly, you don't let him go. Still shaking my head over that one.

Jesus H Rongen et al were fucking terrible at youth development.

Greatest Ripoff
05-29-2021, 08:42 AM
Pasher has been playing as a forward since leaving TFC. His first season after was in Finland (I think) and he had double digits in goals. I think he might have even been a forward prior to joining TFC.

rydermike
05-29-2021, 06:08 PM
So Garreth McLaughlin just scored his 3rd goal of the season to go along with 1 assist. TFC2 has scored 4 goals this season.

rydermike
05-29-2021, 06:44 PM
Hugo Mbongue got blood on his jersey, so they had to give him a new jersey. So they made him wear #97 (aka Ralph Priso's number) Hugo Mbongue and Ralph Priso-Mbongue are brothers lol

ag futbol
05-29-2021, 07:37 PM
The kid they just signed from Houston looked good again, apparently.

Still chaffs that we let Tyler Pasher go so early in his career. He barely got a look, but he sure shut down the left side against Liverpool in a friendly, which should've told us something. Now, in Kevin Phillips/Gareth Bale mode, they've converted him from fullback to forward and he's a dangerous player.

Any kid plays that well against Liverpool, even in a friendly, you don't let him go. Still shaking my head over that one.

I had field level seats for that, right along Pasher’s left flank. The size difference between the teams was reminiscent of Lebron James playing high school basketball. They were gracious guests (to say the least).

Now that said, I think it’s very agreeable that our a development pathway stinks. Not the players but the process. We barely produce a rotation player and god forbid we actually sold someone for money. They should have let Okello go to Germany and Perruzza go to Europe. At least send the message this isn’t a career black hole and a waste of time.

So far, players we’ve cut or have left are having better careers than those that stay.

Fort York Redcoat
05-30-2021, 06:51 AM
So Garreth McLaughlin just scored his 3rd goal of the season to go along with 1 assist. TFC2 has scored 4 goals this season.

Isn't this their 3rd match as well?

Good on em

reggie
06-16-2021, 09:30 PM
tfc2 v ftl 2-2 final nelson ties it up late

reggie
06-19-2021, 10:48 PM
Tfc2 beat FTL 2-1 goals by Rutty and former italian international Altobelli

rydermike
06-19-2021, 11:03 PM
Tfc2 beat FTL 2-1 goals by Rutty and former italian international Altobelli

Italian international? Pretty sure he a current Canadian youth player. Never heard of him playing for an Italian youth team.

reggie
06-19-2021, 11:32 PM
Italian international? Pretty sure he a current Canadian youth player. Never heard of him playing for an Italian youth team.

im jus being silly.there was a player on the 1982 italian world cup winning team named altobelli,

OgtheDim
06-30-2021, 06:31 PM
Lots of the 1st team yutes getting minutes for TFCII

https://twitter.com/TorontoFCII/status/1410377308188385288

MightyDM
06-30-2021, 08:03 PM
I retesting no Priso. He’ll start on Saturday. Marky on the bench.

Red CB Toronto
06-30-2021, 10:01 PM
A 2-1 victory tonight including a Noble goal on a PK.

Red CB Toronto
07-18-2021, 08:43 PM
A 4-2 victory tonight at North Carolina. Garrett McLailughlin keeps on scoring with the hat trick. Erickson Gallardo was also loaned from the first team and started in the victory. They are at Revs next weekend before apparently return to Toronto for their July 30th matchup.

rydermike
07-19-2021, 08:19 AM
Gallardo had a solid match, only played the first 45 after coming back from injury. Could've scored the first goal. Solid move to collect the ball and put it past the keeper, then McLaughlin just kicked the ball in instead of letting Gallardo finish it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsfb9EsTM0Q&t=1s&ab_channel=USLLeagueOne

jabbronies
07-19-2021, 08:41 AM
Gallardo is trash. Waste of money.

noxx98
07-19-2021, 09:54 AM
Gallardo is trash. Waste of money.
I think the process of getting him was trash. Management was talking up acquiring a TAM winger for months and we ended up with Gallardo who was only TAM listed for one season because of the modest transfer fee. His salary is comparable to what DeLeon gets. If he was acquired and talked about as a young player who still needs a lot of development, but has shown flashes, I don't think we'd be upset. Instead management talked about how they'd be bringing in a Soteldo quality player.

jabbronies
07-19-2021, 10:38 AM
I think the process of getting him was trash. Management was talking up acquiring a TAM winger for months and we ended up with Gallardo who was only TAM listed for one season because of the modest transfer fee. His salary is comparable to what DeLeon gets. If he was acquired and talked about as a young player who still needs a lot of development, but has shown flashes, I don't think we'd be upset. Instead management talked about how they'd be bringing in a Soteldo quality player.

He's 26 years old. He's not worth the transfer fee or the TAM label. He's too old to be a youth project, he should be a starter or at least a viable sub by now.

Not sure who found him, but this was a miss.

rydermike
07-19-2021, 01:14 PM
He's 26 years old. He's not worth the transfer fee or the TAM label. He's too old to be a youth project, he should be a starter or at least a viable sub by now.

He's 24 not 26. We signed him at 22, viable "potential prospect age"

noxx98
07-19-2021, 01:24 PM

I think when you Google him, it shows his birthday as June 3, 1995. However it's actually July 26, 1996.

jloome
07-19-2021, 01:29 PM
A 4-2 victory tonight at North Carolina. Garrett McLailughlin keeps on scoring with the hat trick. Erickson Gallardo was also loaned from the first team and started in the victory. They are at Revs next weekend before apparently return to Toronto for their July 30th matchup.

McLaughlin had zero goals in 11 games at Rio Grande last year. This year, eight in 13. Kid can obviously finish when someone sets him up.

jloome
07-19-2021, 01:32 PM
I think when you Google him, it shows his birthday as June 3, 1995. However it's actually July 26, 1996.

So he's 25 in a week. Either way, well past dev stages. He should be reaching peak around 28-30 as a wide player. He was starting in the Venezuelan league, I thought? He's not going to get better. He's either ready -- which is hard to say given how little he's played -- or he's not.

Seems like a Shaffelburg with more downside, lots of wheels and some decent skills but not much game.

ag futbol
07-19-2021, 01:35 PM
So he's 25 in a week. Either way, well past dev stages. He should be reaching peak around 28-30 as a wide player. He was starting in the Venezuelan league, I thought? He's not going to get better. He's either ready -- which is hard to say given how little he's played -- or he's not.

Seems like a Shaffelburg with more downside, lots of wheels and some decent skills but not much game.
My cynical side says we signed him to curry favours to the right people in South America, knowing he was likely not going to amount to much.

But the real crime wasn’t signing him as much as taking 3 years to finally bring in Solteldo. We went through a lot of mediocre options before that.

jabbronies
07-19-2021, 02:05 PM
He's 24 not 26. We signed him at 22, viable "potential prospect age"

Makes more sense why they'd go after him then.

But I stand by my last comment - he should be a starter or at least a viable sub by now.

I use guys like Osorio and Delgado as standards we should be targeting when developing youth.
These guys were making big impacts to the club by age 24 - they weren't still trying to find themselves.

I don't expect everyone to be a top notch starter, but they should at least look good coming off the bench. Gallardo isn't close to that. Time to move on and call it a loss

OgtheDim
07-19-2021, 02:19 PM
For the 30 minutes he played this year, Gallardo looked pretty good as an option for speed on the right. Not Soteldo good but he was MLS good.

Watching LAG this year, I'm not sold on Vanney being all that interested in speedy winger types, to be honest.

Point is, don't think the lad has been given a fair shot yet. Lets not write off his development quite yet.

noxx98
07-23-2021, 10:00 PM
Gallardo came on for the last ~25 mins for TFC2 in a 0-1 loss. Showed some speed, played one decent cross into the box but not much else. Granted, TFC2 looked pretty poor the whole game so it wasn't just him.

Red CB Toronto
08-06-2021, 03:18 PM
Two first team players in the 18 for TFC II today vs. Richmond. Jayden starting and Erickson on the bench. EG cant event crack the starting lineup at the L1 level.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E8Ib4aPWUAkgsj5?format=jpg&name=small

jloome
08-06-2021, 03:59 PM
Two first team players in the 18 for TFC II today vs. Richmond. Jayden starting and Erickson on the bench. EG cant event crack the starting lineup at the L1 level.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E8Ib4aPWUAkgsj5?format=jpg&name=small

They're probably limiting his time due to coming back from an injury, and because he's going to be released in a few months anyway. THere's not much point taking ANY playing time away from guys who might stick, I suppose.

It's not like they can even put him in the shop window, as anyone interested can sign him on a free in four months.

reggie
08-06-2021, 07:03 PM
he missed on a breakway from center field,tfc 2 win 2-1

Red CB Toronto
08-06-2021, 07:35 PM
he missed on a breakway from center field,tfc 2 win 2-1

How he shot wide on that I do not know, a head scratcher.

rydermike
08-07-2021, 10:35 AM
Here's the miss. I've tried my best to be a Gallardo supporter, but I can't after that. Plus he came on as a sub in the 74th minute. Had he come on at half, I could try to justify it as a minutes restriction, but not at the 74th considering his first appearance with TFCII was a full one-half appearance.

https://twitter.com/tfc_curtis/status/1423766010004393987?s=21

jloome
08-07-2021, 11:57 AM
Here's the miss. I've tried my best to be a Gallardo supporter, but I can't after that. Plus he came on as a sub in the 74th minute. Had he come on at half, I could try to justify it as a minutes restriction, but not at the 74th considering his first appearance with TFCII was a full one-half appearance.

https://twitter.com/tfc_curtis/status/1423766010004393987?s=21

Jesus Christ.

It's the most basic premise: on a breakaway, you drift towards the spot if unchallenged, as it prevents the goalie from cutting off the angle and makes a low shot to the opposite corner basically impossible to reach.

You NEVER drift to the near post and try to tuck it by him. Not only is it a harder shot to hit accurately, it also gives the goalie the smallest angle to close off and a chance to save it with his feet.

Fuck me. This guy was TAM? This fucking guy?!?

Again, averaged three goals, three assists a season in Venezuela, in a league with even more talent divides than MLS.

Why he thought that production would increase here, with more competition and no obvious signs except wheels that he has something to offer, is a head scratcher.

Rocket Robin
10-01-2021, 11:56 PM
Result and details of USL League One game between Toronto FC II and North Carolina FC played at BMO Training Ground in Downsview. First game I've been able to attend there in 2 years! http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports21/21tfc257.htm

Red CB Toronto
10-02-2021, 12:59 AM
Result and details of USL League One game between Toronto FC II and North Carolina FC played at BMO Training Ground in Downsview. First game I've been able to attend there in 2 years! http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports21/21tfc257.htm

Was this game actually open to the public , would like to attend one as TFC season ticket holder.

Rocket Robin
10-02-2021, 11:54 PM
Was this game actually open to the public , would like to attend one as TFC season ticket holder.

I'm still not sure of that. I received no reply to a question I sent to their twitter posting. I went through the gate before they had actually set up as I guy waved me through when I had some problems scanning a QR code they had on a poster. It was supposed to measure for Covid exposure. I had my vax papers in my pocket. No one did ever check them.

I have an idea that you'd do better as a SSH. Just wear a mask until you get inside and bring your vax papers or have them on your phone.
Or call your ticket rep and ask.
I was ready to be refused again then continue on to a League1 Ontario game in Oshawa.

jloome
10-08-2021, 05:09 PM
TFC II within a point of the playoffs now.

After watching their last few games and a few earlier this year, I definitely have to wonder why some of these guys haven't been given more time to impress with the first team. Kobe Franklin, Dante Campbell and Luca Petrasso have all looked pretty good to me, better than the average USL player.

Rocket Robin
10-09-2021, 09:35 PM
Result and details of the Friday October 8/21 USL League One game between Toronto FC II and New England Revolution II played at BMO Training Ground in Downsview.

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports21/21tfc260.htm

Red CB Toronto
10-22-2021, 08:35 PM
I was up at the training grounds for the game today, the first one officially open to the public, TFC II lost 2-1 CF St. Lauderdale, doing damage to their chances at a playoff spot. It was quite a physical game at times, with the ref getting involved at times. Long time TFCII forward and Toronto had the brace for Ft. Lauderdale. It was also interesting to see both Romeo Beckham and Harvey Neville start for the visitors.

Rocket Robin
10-22-2021, 09:29 PM
Result and details of the Friday October 22, 2021 USL game between Toronto FC II and Ft Lauderdale CF played at BMO Training Centre.

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports21/21tfc265.htm

ag futbol
10-22-2021, 09:52 PM
Awkward when the prospect you cast off (still only 22) scores a brace and you lose 2-1

jloome
10-23-2021, 11:25 AM
Awkward when the prospect you cast off (still only 22) scores a brace and you lose 2-1
I’ve watched a bunch of their games
due to Baby Becks interest (he has some skill but little read or athleticism, this was his best game). Hundal still looks a good prospect so no idea why we dropped him.

Mitchell Curry on that same Ft Lauderdale team could play in MLS now. He has eight goals playing wide (to Shaans 11 playing centrally) and plays and works at a different speed to the rest of USL. Former Sunderland and Middlesborough youth player who is way above that level.

ag futbol
10-23-2021, 11:39 AM
I’ve watched a bunch of their games
due to Baby Becks interest (he has some skill but little read or athleticism, this was his best game). Hundal still looks a good prospect so no idea why we dropped him.

Mitchell Curry on that same Ft Lauderdale team could play in MLS now. He has eight goals playing wide (to Shaans 11 playing centrally) and plays and works at a different speed to the rest of USL. Former Sunderland and Middlesborough youth player who is way above that level.
I agree with you and feel like MLS is too proud (and anti competitive) to mine the USL for the talent it actually has.

jloome
10-23-2021, 12:34 PM
I agree with you and feel like MLS is too proud (and anti competitive) to mine the USL for the talent it actually has.

There seem to be guys on both affiliates and unaffiliated teams who are brought into USL -1 as 'experience' for the younger players. But you do see two or three on every team who look no better or worse in terms of technique, movement, decisions to second-stringers and dev players in MLS.

Curry is interesting because he's being played out of position. They have him as a winger due to his speed and dribbling but his movement is very much that of a striker. He's wasted out wide, which is exemplified by the fact that he underlaps and cuts in the vast majority of the time. He's not a crosser or setup guy (although he's set up a bunch of Hundal's goals) but he has a cannon shot, good release, aim, cuts onto both feet really well, turns both ways really well. First touch is really solid.

I see a guy like Robbie Robertson at the parent club, Miami, and I can't see Curry being substantially less of a player. Might be more the mental side, perhaps, or he's just been overlooked up until now.

If you look at his playing record, he had appearances in 15 games in the Scottish Second Division (Championship) as an eighteen-year-old and scored two goals, then 12 games in the National League North where he scored two, and one League One appearance for Sunderland. (This story, his coach praises him and says he got that start after bagging a brace for Sunderland u-23 https://insidefutbol.com/2020/12/16/gave-us-what-we-want-sunderland-boss-with-warm-words-for-young-talent/485912/)

So he didn't score prolifically as a teenage pro, but most at that age don't, and I imagine few of those were starts.

Middlesbrough signed him to pro terms at 16 and perhaps that hurt his work rate or attitude. But he's only 22. I suspect from how wanted he was and how many moves, he's either a problem child or he was under players he just couldn't beat for a roster spot (or a bit of both). But people mature later sometimes, it's just neurological reality.

nfitz
10-23-2021, 05:05 PM
I’ve watched a bunch of their games due to Baby Becks interest ...WTAF ... never heard about this - and now I feel old.

Wait, he bombed out of football a few years ago, and daddy bought him a football team to play in? :) :)

jloome
10-23-2021, 05:29 PM
WTAF ... never heard about this - and now I feel old.

Wait, he bombed out of football a few years ago, and daddy bought him a football team to play in? :) :)

Nah, he left Arsenal academy of his own accord after deciding he didn't want to be a footballer, then changed his mind.

He's off the pace in terms of positioning, athleticism and determination, but I've watched the four or five games since he joined up and he's gotten better in each. He serves a mean cross and lead pass but often doesn't know where to be. Also looks like he's 16, not 19, and needs to bulk up.

rydermike
10-24-2021, 10:13 AM
TFCII has a shot at the playoffs with one game left. Currently in 8th (top 6 make the playoffs)

https://i.imgur.com/91l0511.png

They play New England Revolution in the final game. FC Tucson plays Richmond. So if TFC2 wins and Tucson ties or loses, TFC2 will make the playoffs (1st tiebreaker is wins, second tiebreaker is +/-, so if Tucson ties, TFC2 will win the tiebreaker)

Red CB Toronto
10-24-2021, 12:00 PM
I highly recommend that anyone who can, come checkout TFC II’s match vs NE Revs II next Friday at the training ground. It is a highly enjoyable experience. Love standing field side hearing all the banter from the pitch no matter how colourful it gets. This should be a good match with a playoff spot on the line.

TFCII has a shot at the playoffs with one game left. Currently in 8th (top 6 make the playoffs)

https://i.imgur.com/91l0511.png

They play New England Revolution in the final game. FC Tucson plays Richmond. So if TFC2 wins and Tucson ties or loses, TFC2 will make the playoffs (1st tiebreaker is wins, second tiebreaker is +/-, so if Tucson ties, TFC2 will win the tiebreaker)

rydermike
10-29-2021, 04:13 PM
TFC2 won their match vs New England. Now just need some help from the other match to clinch playoffs

Rocket Robin
10-29-2021, 08:58 PM
Result and details of the USL League One game of Friday October 29/21 between Toronto FC II and New England Revolution 2 played at TFC Training Centre in Downsview.

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports21/21tfc267.htm

rydermike
10-31-2021, 07:24 AM
FC Tucson won, so TFC2 just missed the playoffs. I don't like how the league did not make all the final games at the same time. Some teams would've had unknown fates (like Richmond, Tucson's opponents) if all the games were at the same time. Instead, some teams knew their fates by the time they played. No idea if it had an impact on lineup choices, but for a pro league all games should've been at same time (even if it is tier 3)

Rocket Robin
12-17-2021, 09:05 PM
Finally my year end summary of Rocket Robin Soccer in Toronto with personal comments on the teams/leagues I followed in 2021. York United FC, the Canadian Men's national team (when in Toronto), Toronto FC II, and League1 Ontario.

Rocket Robin Soccer In Toronto 2021 Season Review (http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports21/21l1o059.htm)